Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Feb 25, 2017 9:50 PM

May 2014
Needless to say, I was Franky this episode😢

Y'know I've been seeing that scene of Robin saying she wants to live for years now littered around the web...I never quite understood how that was supposed to be so heart wrenching like everyone made out.

Now I get it.

It's so impactful because of who is saying it- a woman who spent 20+ years looking for companions only to be rejected and sold out by everyone she ever met. Nobody ever cared enough to fight for her & bc the world government was chasing her, nothing ever stuck by her side but destruction...of course she'd give up and reject life. It must have been exhausting as hell to be running away for that long!

She's definitely the best developed Straw Hat so far!

This episode really felt like some sort of social commentary with Buzz Calls being pretty much like Zipper Raids, the Propaganda, the madness caused by ideas of justice, government conspiracies etc. Etc.

5/5

Also, I feel like things are gonna get even more messy for the Straw Hats since they've declared war on the World Gov lol

now can we please kill Spandam
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 17, 2017 12:59 PM

Jun 2015
Luffy declared war on the world government for Robin's sake. This is just beautiful.

Franky started as a nasty villain but he turns out to be a such a cinnamon roll.
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
Apr 24, 2017 7:40 AM

Dec 2013
I let some tears fall this episode. Poor Robin.... how cruel can people be man!? She was just a kid back then too. I don't understand people who value money over a kid. Anyways, i'm glad she found her way to the straw hats. Now luffy and crew can kick some ass!
Sep 6, 2017 6:00 AM

Dec 2014
I hope Sogeking stays
he's too cool
Jan 29, 2018 5:07 AM

Aug 2017
It's sad to see how much robin has suffered and what she went through :(
good thing she has now a true friends who are willing to fight the whole world for her
May 7, 2018 11:16 AM

Mar 2017
Robin = saddest backstory ever.
I love Robin so much nowww!!!

can't believe that every OP backstories made me cry ; w ;
damn you Oda.

Nakama Power
Epic episode.... Burning the flag, challenging the world government. Very intense episode, I'm totally in love with OP.

I'm so glad for Robin ;w;
mah girl finally has the will to live.

猫はかわいいです。 (ꈍ ‸ ꈍ)

Sep 1, 2018 3:08 PM

Jun 2016
Wow!!! This backstory was so good and it led directly into one of my favorite scenes and Luffy moments in all of One Piece.

Aokiji is so fascinating! Even when he was younger he said very openly something that most of these "for justice" villains don't do, he acknowledged that justice comes in different forms with different viewpoints, and he will not criticize someone for their own but he will fight for his if they get in the way. Him and the more morally ambiguous leaders of the world government make me think they may be fighting for something really meaningful on their end too, even if they have some bad apples in the navy.

Aokiji has shown that when the admiral did the extremely shocking and messed up move of blowing up an innocent evacuation ship that it crossed his sense of personal of justice. So, he put himself on the line and saved Robin as a sign of condolences. He wanted to make something right despite how awful some of his comrades are. As he said, "absolute justice can drive some people mad". This seems to put him on an interesting pedestal of being totally aware of his actions, possibly not being corrupt but still being ruthless. The higher-ups in the world government are pretty great. And in the modern day, he's also shown that he won't kill someone like Luffy out of gratitude for him taking down Crocodile. These moves show that he's aware and even sympathetic, however, that he stands for something he will fight for, not unlike our own cast.. The depth of Aokiji makes me really anticipate an Ace vs Aokiji fight, but I admit I'm basing that purely on the fire and ice dynamic and that may be a little bit too cheesy to base an entire prediction off of!

I actually adored his somber scene with Robin as he said goodbye to her and helped her out. He agreed that his comrades were warped, however, not that their goal was wrong, purely that their actions were poor. And, he made it clear he wasn't an ally. This is out of regret, he wants to make up for their mistake in the only way he can, and he risked his status in the world government by doing so. You could see him sweating in the meeting scene later, nervous they'd realize it was him who helped her escape. The line about how the second she causes trouble he'll be the first to look for her was interesting as well, I wonder if the trouble is her progress in deciphering the poneglyphs or if it's something more. He's high enough up that I feel he wouldn't be ordered to chase after her, it would have to be something he personally deemed as trouble to have him seek her out.

Robin's long and great backstory added to her character and her motivations immensely. She has the weight of Saul, Olivia, and the scholar's goals and wishes for her on her shoulders. It's quite sad but beautiful that Saul's last moments were ones of trying to make sure that Robin learns to trust people again. She may have forgotten that lesson briefly but with the Straw Hats display of declaring war for her sake, I think it probably jogged her memory.

Speaking of the flag. That was one of my favorite Luffy moments yet. Luffy is one of my favorite characters ever. Both his straight forward nature and emotional awareness and honesty make him such a role model. And, this entire final scene was a reminder of all of that, as was it remincent to when Nami finally asked him for help. After hearing about how Robin feels she was born to die, that she's a sin who we personally saw get betrayed and abandoned so much that she had to start doing it first, and after learning that her enemy is the entire world Luffy took it all in and chose a drastic but super meaningful approach.

"I now understand well the identity of Robin's enemy. Sogeking. Shoot through that flag".

I screamed externally out of excitement, I'm not going to lie. This is such a great move because it's a way of Luffy refuting not only Spandam's remark of no one with a brain wanting to take on the burden of Robin and fight the world but also Robin's deep-seated belief that everyone is going to betray her at some point because she's that much of a burden. Luffy showed her with no hesitation, nor any from Usopp who proved yet again that he does deserve a spot with the Straw Hats, that they'll fight the entire world before betraying her. They will literally declare war on the world. If that is not a promise that Robin's finally found a place to belong after so many years of being alone and betrayed then I don't know what is. That scene leading to the Nami-esque call for help, with Robin finally saying she wants to live. They know her wish and Luffy did what he does best by making sure she knew it too and now that it's out there, everyone can give it their all with no punches pulled. It's glorious!

I just want to mention that Luffy is so great at seeing the good side of people. This all happened because, despite Robin being a villain towards them, Luffy saved her and she moved onto their ship probably with the intent to betray them like she had with everyone else. It was her only way to stay afloat since her childhood since no one without a bounty would keep her safe out of fear or greed. But Luffy saw through her and showed her what it's like to have people really care about her and most importantly, she was able to see how it felt once more, probably for the first time since Saul's death(?), to have people see her as a valuable human being they care about unconditionally rather than a sin or a mistake. :") With the help of Luffy, Olivia's wish to Robin about her living, and Saul's wish for her to trust in her friends once more in the future have come true.
Apr 17, 2019 11:53 AM

Dec 2017
That was a great episode again. Robin by far has the most tragic backstory of them all and Nami's story already made me tear up!

Also apart from Robin's story I liked how Nami and Usopp who always were scared are so bold now. Nami's a lot stronger and braver now (already was in the last episodes when she didn't even hesitate to fight against so many marines and declare war on the World Government to save Robin) and also Usopp who burned down that flag without a second thought. They both are really brave when they have to be for their friends and I liked that. Still don't like Usopp very much but I seriously give him credit for that one!

I feel like this arc will make the whole crew a lot stronger - every one of them.
Apr 30, 2019 5:19 PM
Dec 2014
The burning of the flag was so relieving
May 6, 2019 8:55 PM
Aug 2017
YES!! They declared war against the world for Robin, now we get to see some actions! That ep was 10/10
Jun 5, 2020 1:12 PM

May 2016
Robin seeing every single person she have known die right before her very eyes and having to live a life full of betrayal where the only thing she can do is run away from those who hunt her down for her bounty afterwards was absolutely heartbreaking. It's a miracle that Kuzan even gave her a chance of living since Saul tried so hard to save her. Surprisingly enough, that wasn't what made me cry buckets in this episode.

She's been through some unimaginably hard things and her shock at finally finding people who are willing to wage war against the world if it means having her as a friend. Seeing her tearfully shout her one and only wish in life at the top of her lungs have convinced me that the emotional impact of this episode hit my heart like as if a Buster Call's been activated on it...
Kajo_Senpai69Jun 5, 2020 1:16 PM

Jul 30, 2020 2:26 AM

Jun 2017
Yeah! I know how you're feeling Franky! I'm crying too.😭

She got him back. If you understand the characters well enough, you'd know she did!
Aug 28, 2020 12:03 PM
Jan 2020
'I want to live' - Nico Robin. Best quote I've have ever heard that touch my heart♥. Looking forward to what's gonna happen next Against world government.
Dec 5, 2020 7:13 PM
Oct 2019
OH SHOOT... they literally declared war against the world government.. let's see what happens.. I'm afraid what will be straw hats bounty after this incident..

THe last moment along with the OST just gave me goosebumps
May 20, 2021 4:42 AM

Jun 2019
Like Franky said, "I love you guys."
Jun 30, 2021 10:54 PM

Dec 2012
Robin-chaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan

Dec 25, 2021 9:40 AM

Feb 2014
God Damn it, this mini arc had me shedding tears so many times, and Robin screaming that she wants to live was no exception.
Feb 21, 2022 2:51 AM
Jul 2018
one of the best episode of one piece so far
removed-userSep 9, 2022 10:04 PM
Feb 27, 2022 5:27 AM

Oct 2020
Declaring war on the goverment all for her !
I'm glad Robin finally sees she's not just a burden and a sin
Jun 15, 2022 1:06 PM

Mar 2019
Absolute banger of an episode. I love One Piece's "the crew is all together now and about to kick your ass" moments and this is possibly the best one so far.
Where has Sogeking's new weapon come from, though? I seem to have missed that part. Perhaps it came from the sniper island.
Also, it looks like the nest several episodes are filler and, frankly, I have no idea how they managed to throw them in here at such an important moment but I'm certainly concerned!
OωO
Aug 4, 2022 9:41 PM

Apr 2018
It's sad that little Robin didn't know that she can still make friends in her lifetime until Saul assured her :( ... Yes, Robin! I love her scream, "I want to live!" Love the crew so much! Let's kick some arses!
Aug 16, 2022 12:02 PM
Feb 2022
Spanish comment:

Robin tuvo una historia muy triste. La dejaron escapar de la destrucción de su pueblo, quedando aun mas sola de lo que ya estaba. Adonde fuera, la gente siempre la traicionaba o la evadía para salvarse, pero al fin encontró amigos que en serio la quieren y se preocupan por ella. Hay que darle crédito a la actriz de voz de Robin por ese grito desgarrador que saco del alma.
Aug 20, 2022 6:04 AM

Jan 2019
I rarely post on these threads. But I haven't bawled my fucking eyes out on an anime or anything in real life in a very very long time. The entire direction of these past episodes was amazing and I knew it was going to be sad. But what got me was the incredible voice acting. It sounded real. It sounded authentic. I could feel the wanting and desperation that Robin had. Added onto that the OST and masterful direction and it made the atmosphere perfect for me to cry. My head hurts so much. This is easily one of if not my favorite anime episodes of all time. I can confidently say, I'm happy to have started my One Piece journey a few months ago.
Aug 27, 2022 2:50 AM
Jan 2022
amazing episode!
Sep 10, 2022 11:49 AM
Jan 2019
SAY YOU WANT TO LIVE!! ROBIN!!
Sep 25, 2022 11:43 AM
Dec 2020
ONE OF THE BEST EPISODES YET!
Nov 11, 2022 4:44 PM
Feb 2021
hermoso, peak fiction
Jan 22, 2023 10:53 PM
Mar 2020
Robin, who's been through it all, showing this level of emotion really touched me
Feb 3, 2023 1:15 AM
Aug 2022
sobbed like a baby at the "i wanna live" scene... definitely one of the most emotionally impactful anime scenes i've ever watched :')
Feb 21, 2023 11:14 PM
Jun 2022
got me crying man too good
Mar 13, 2023 10:10 PM

Dec 2022
this is officially my favorite episode of One Piece
yes i cried a lot lol
Apr 4, 2023 10:14 AM
Oct 2020
The most affective connection i have with anything in the world.

I wasn't even listening or watching a think i just cried, it hurted Robin, it hurted!

I just love this scene, it's the most exciting, our saddest thing i've ever seen
May 13, 2023 1:13 AM
Oct 2019
No wonder Robin are so traumatized 😭
May 14, 2023 6:52 PM
Jun 2022
INCREDIBLE EPISODE HOLYYY
May 29, 2023 1:42 AM
Dec 2021
“Shoot through that flag.” “I want to live!” I’m crying like a baby.
Jun 14, 2023 12:37 AM
Jul 2022
Lo mejor hasta el momento y es dificil superarlo
Jun 20, 2023 12:56 PM
Jan 2023
sogeking atire fogo na bandeira
Jun 26, 2023 7:53 PM
Aug 2021
Simply an incredible story
Jun 27, 2023 5:26 AM
Jul 2018
Robin is the best written character in One Piece so far, not only was her backstory the best yet but her future looks to be one of the more interesting ones out of the Straw Hats.

The backstory was engaging; untangling just enough to make her feel fleshed out but concealing just enough information to keep my curiosity peaked. For example Jaguar D. Saul yet another person with possible relativity to Luffy, if it turns out to be true how does a giant fit in the family tree? That also brings up another question on why it is the middle name and not the last name that all these people have in common, so it could be more of a brotherhood than actual blood relatives. Another interesting factor was Aokiji not being totally corrupt and having some sense of his own justice allowing Robin to flee. It could lead to a potential confrontation between the Straw Hats and Aokiji being resolved without casualties.

I’m interested to see what path her future will take. The “lost” century seems to have more to be uncovered than just super weapons. She finally opened her heart to the Straw Hats and told them her personal feelings, this might be a point in personality change. This leaves her future open to have various routes to travel.
Jul 3, 2023 11:27 AM
May 2023
fucking amazing episode i love one piece
Jul 11, 2023 7:22 AM

Oct 2019
Robin lived a hard life... Having to constantly run around and be betrayed by others.. :<

"I want to live!" <3
Jul 16, 2023 3:15 AM

Mar 2017
Holy crap, that was the most emotional piece of fiction I’ve ever seen. I could handle Robin’s back story, as harsh and terrible as it was.. but the scene where Robin declares her true feelings and the Strawhats burnt the flag was next level. Don’t think I’ve ever cried so much over a story. Franky’s crying made me laugh with tears of joy.

Oda, man, you kill me haha. God damn I love this show.
Jul 16, 2023 3:16 AM

Mar 2017
jal90 said:
One of the best episodes of any thing ever made.

Fully agree with this <3
Aug 21, 2023 3:15 PM
Jun 2021
One of the best scenes and episodes in anime history
Dec 4, 2023 1:07 PM

May 2019
The One Peak is real
Jan 4, 10:26 AM
May 2020
i cried so hard at this episode, this arc is so great T-T
Feb 6, 6:59 PM
Dec 2022
افضل حلقة وروبين افضل شخصية
Feb 18, 9:38 PM
Feb 2018
perfect, every single moment
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1101 Discussion ( 1 2 )

phantom346 - Apr 14

54 by LadyLeeMing »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 219 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Kaito__Kid - Nov 17, 2009

60 by X1ma »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1011 Discussion ( 1 2 )

AhriTheS3xyFox - Feb 19, 2022

58 by Marcos-1 »»
8 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 411 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Somebody - Aug 2, 2009

79 by gannoncannon55 »»
Today, 12:30 AM

Poll: » One Piece Episode 410 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Hayato_kun - Jul 18, 2009

76 by gannoncannon55 »»
Today, 12:10 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.