Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Feb 12, 2009 2:15 PM

Aug 2007
Is it me, or was the part where the witch popped out of no where...pretty random? lol

LOL @ Gigolo in a dress. hahaha
Feb 12, 2009 11:12 PM

Dec 2007
It has a decent fight, and it has few WTF moments. I honestly know that series was poor. Still, I enjoyed it, at least.
Feb 13, 2009 12:29 AM

Nov 2008
If a series is enjoyable it can't be THAT bad. Saying it is enjoyable and then saying it is poor is contradictory. The sheep mentality in regards to this anime is disconcerting.
http://www.youtube.com/swiftstylez - My AMV's. I would really appreciate any comments and ratings :]

Feb 13, 2009 1:40 AM
Mar 2008
Swiftstylez said:
If a series is enjoyable it can't be THAT bad. Saying it is enjoyable and then saying it is poor is contradictory. The sheep mentality in regards to this anime is disconcerting.

I'd say this anime is just "mediocre" Not bad, not great. But quality=/=enjoyment. Some of the most revered paintings are ugly, and some of the most beautiful paintings in the world, are simply not quality. Theres more to it then just the face value of looking at something and enjoying it.

I enjoy watching akikan. But I deeply enjoy Clannad way more emotionally then akikan, that's the kind of thing that makes a difference.
Feb 13, 2009 2:19 AM

Nov 2008
Bladin said:
Swiftstylez said:

I'd say this anime is just "mediocre" Not bad, not great. But quality=/=enjoyment. Some of the most revered paintings are ugly, and some of the most beautiful paintings in the world, are simply not quality. Theres more to it then just the face value of looking at something and enjoying it.

I enjoy watching akikan. But I deeply enjoy Clannad way more emotionally then akikan, that's the kind of thing that makes a difference.

There lies your problem then. Akikan is not a DRAMA. It is a Shounen Romance Comedy lol. You can't compare to anime like Clannad because that isn't what it is setting out to be... Compare it to Chobits, Shuffle, Dears, Love Hina, Maburaho, Final Approach, Negima etc. It holds up well imo.

It's funny that people in general rate this when they watch stuff like Ghost in a shell, or people who only enjoy particular kinds of romances. People need to learn what genres are established for: It means that you have never really enjoyed something within them before, chances are you won't in the future lol. That's why I only watch anime that I think I have a good shot of liking :P
AnistylezFeb 13, 2009 2:37 AM
http://www.youtube.com/swiftstylez - My AMV's. I would really appreciate any comments and ratings :]

Feb 13, 2009 9:40 AM
Mar 2008
Swiftstylez said:
Bladin said:
Swiftstylez said:

There lies your problem then. Akikan is not a DRAMA. It is a Shounen Romance Comedy lol. You can't compare to anime like Clannad because that isn't what it is setting out to be... Compare it to Chobits, Shuffle, Dears, Love Hina, Maburaho, Final Approach, Negima etc. It holds up well imo.

It's funny that people in general rate this when they watch stuff like Ghost in a shell, or people who only enjoy particular kinds of romances. People need to learn what genres are established for: It means that you have never really enjoyed something within them before, chances are you won't in the future lol. That's why I only watch anime that I think I have a good shot of liking :P

I just stated Clannad because it's the first off the top of my head, it's not just genre, but it's also quality. You can compare between genre because while different genre have different themes and different plots, they still can be just as terrible, and just as great, and have their own standard for quality. Sure Clannad is a drama(first series is funnier then akikan though... so i don't really know what to say regarding that) but it's very high quality and it makes you feel the characters.

In Akikan, all the characters are flat one sided shells, and are brought together due to a fairly poor plot. It's not that the idea behind the plot is bad, it's just not writen into the anime very well. There is nothing memorable behind Akikan, there is nothing in this anime, that you will think about after its done. Heck even the

IF i were to compare it to those, i'd say, those others are a lot higher quality on average. Maybe not maburaho(ending screws it all up for this one). But Chobits, Shuffle, Love Hina, Ai yori aishi, fruits basket. All are MUCH higher quality then akikan.
Feb 13, 2009 12:34 PM

Jun 2008
I think this episode was just as hilarious as the others because of the seriousness. it's just so ridiculous that I love it
Feb 13, 2009 12:37 PM

Aug 2008
This show is underrated for others. However, I find this show enjoyable to watch. It's not one of the best show out there but it will still work for me.

You can say that my expectations are not that high though.

Feb 13, 2009 3:31 PM

Aug 2008
AkariChan said:
this series really made a new genre for anime ... called "wtf".

lol

This anime sure lives up to it's name in that respect.
Feb 13, 2009 5:00 PM

Mar 2008
I have to say, I'm enjoying this anime.
Nothing
Feb 14, 2009 8:57 AM

Nov 2007
I am legitimately enjoying this, and far more than "serious" stuff like Casshern, Tytania, etc
Feb 16, 2009 11:43 AM

Sep 2008
Oh my God, they are trying to make serious show out of this...oh my God what a mistake...
Feb 17, 2009 5:42 AM

Nov 2008
nina4life said:
Oh my God, they are trying to make serious show out of this...oh my God what a mistake...

Read the threads. The serious plot is used to progress the relationships between the characters, much like Dears did. It is up to the viewer whether or not they want to get wrapped up in the serious plot, but it's just used to create drama between characters. If you noticed, the whole lead up to the fight was rather not serious.

Feb 18, 2009 1:11 PM

Sep 2008
Creating drama between characters was going just fine up until now. And they weren't serious.
This is just lame, and I don't say that too often. I was like..."Is this the show where I used to laugh my a** out? No way, it can't be, this is some lame rip-off..."
Mar 13, 2009 8:51 PM

Jun 2008
lol what the hell? they epically fail to make anything dramatic out of this XD they should just keep it at stupid comedy and thus succeed. but they keep trying to pull off something deeper and thus they fail.
Mar 29, 2009 11:31 PM

Feb 2009
I think the best way to look at Akikan as an anime is this: just like fruit soda. Fun, refreshing, and not something to be taken seriously. Soda doesn't try to be coffee. Soda is not coffee. So Soda should not be compared with coffee. Soda is just soda. ^_^

...Man, I should turn that into a Haiku
Jul 15, 2009 2:31 PM

May 2009
Yeap she thought they were dating she should of known its like a master dog relationship or somethin eh ?
"Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis" Which means "It's not for me, It's not for you. It's for everyone"
Aug 14, 2009 9:21 AM

Jun 2009
Sad episode I say
Live well - Laugh often - and Love much

Sep 25, 2009 11:25 AM

Jun 2009
kie_ said:
This episode felted like it was the last episode in this series.

^^
Nov 28, 2009 12:29 AM

Nov 2008
What the Sam Hell is up with Gigalo's PJ's?
And did anyone else realize that Melon was setting up a trap with the melons?
Feb 16, 2010 4:12 AM

Oct 2008
Yurika <3
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Aug 20, 2010 5:15 AM

Jul 2010
Very interesting episode this was, but the ending and credits indeed felt like it was the ending of the whole series, although it's just halfway. =/

Jan 7, 2012 7:39 PM

Nov 2007
Awful anime continues to be awful :l

May 22, 2017 8:18 PM

May 2012
Pretty nice action in this episode, quite some nice development! Let's see what's next.
Aug 10, 2017 3:40 PM

Mar 2016
i can't help but laugh when yell slides the door open when it already broke hahahahaha
dang gigolo cruising a bike in a pink pajamas on lol #BestExtra
WHAAAAA she really is a witch!
that ending felt like a last ep welp half way thre!
Bruneian
Here
Feel
Free
To
Add
Mehh
You
Fkin
Scrub
Aug 8, 2018 12:46 PM

Dec 2016
“The melon was delicious. Bye.” lmaoooooooooo
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Dec 29, 2019 2:27 PM

Jul 2013
I've had a long few days and I'm not sure what all I saw but I think there was a guy named Gigolo wearing a goofy dog hat and a pink nightgown, an actual magical witch, a banana peel nearly causing a motorbike crash, exploding melons, a woman kissing another woman who is also a sports drink, and a sword vs fruit fight inside a soccer / baseball stadium. And the Akikans just want to be loved and cherished!

Also I usually drink Diet Ginger Ale but I'm cheating on it with my side chick Sprite Cranberry right now.
Jan 23, 2022 1:13 PM
Oct 2021
Anistylez said:
nina4life said:

Read the threads. The serious plot is used to progress the relationships between the characters, much like Dears did. It is up to the viewer whether or not they want to get wrapped up in the serious plot, but it's just used to create drama between characters. If you noticed, the whole lead up to the fight was rather not serious.

It's amazing that even with so many anime like this, people remain so media illiterate. It's really not a difficult concept - the comedy parts are there for you to enjoy as comedy, the drama parts as character (which is what the comedy is built on anyway), the romance parts to be enjoyed for the romance and so on.

Yet time and time again, people keep trying to box these shows into a particular genre and then complain about the bits that don't fit.

Also criticising shows that obviously have next to no budget for their animation but are all about concepts and trope gags seems to be missing the point of this sort of entertainment. This show was never going to get enough budget to have anything more than just passable animation, because it's appeal is so niche - we are watching an anime about cans that turn into girls and a fight to the death between two species of cans, after all.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Akikan! Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

slayer545-sama - Dec 23, 2008

127 by EmperorThor »»
Apr 20, 2023 6:11 PM

Poll: » Akikan! Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Sonja - Mar 14, 2009

52 by W3TFT »»
Sep 20, 2022 3:31 PM

Poll: » Akikan! Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

xyakaix - Mar 29, 2009

87 by TazzyTensai »»
Sep 4, 2022 12:38 PM

» Who are these characters?

RenaPsychoKiller - Jul 4, 2012

1 by Randomcardcaptor »»
Oct 14, 2020 5:51 AM

Poll: » Akikan! Episode 8 Discussion

kisami - Mar 8, 2009

35 by Punkero »»
Jun 5, 2020 8:04 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.