Forum Settings
Forums

Director Miyazaki Hayao Announced Retirement From Feature Length Film Making

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Sep 1, 2013 11:55 PM

Aug 2012
Noooo, I just started watching his movies D=
Sep 1, 2013 11:57 PM
Dec 2011
i will correct myself HE IS A GOD AND WILL BE A GOD IN THIS ANIME FIELD FOREVER :3 sayounara MIYAZAKI sensei....i cant believe it wow :3
Sep 2, 2013 12:04 AM

Dec 2009
It was bound to happen one day.
Sucks though.
Sep 2, 2013 12:40 AM
Dec 2011
He was a great film director. I will miss his works. He has The Wind Rises which is his most recent work, but other than that he hasn't directed a full length film since Ponyo in 2008. Ghibli films are noticeably not as good.

Wish he would stay involved in the writing process or even just tacking his name on as producer. At least he could do that for some of his sons works. It did however say he might still work on smaller projects so who knows what is in store from Miyazaki.
Sep 2, 2013 2:02 AM

May 2009
Haven't even seen Ponyo or Mononoke yet ;~;. I was hoping I could eventually catch up before he retires. Well almost every film he directs is a masterpiece. Goodluck in his retirement ^^
Sep 2, 2013 2:39 AM

Nov 2010
(=w=)> Salute for the man behind Ghibli's masterpieces.

Mental note added : "Watch the remaining Ghibli Movies that you haven't watched"
Sep 2, 2013 3:11 AM

Aug 2009
I believe he announced retirement after Princess Mononoke too. Hopefully its the same kind of situation and he goes back to directing again. Hes kind of like the Jay-Z of anime lol.

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Sep 2, 2013 3:23 AM
Jul 2018
Staz will be sad.

Thank you for giving movies that I all love.
Sep 2, 2013 4:59 AM
Jan 2013
battosai-01 said:
I believe he announced retirement after Princess Mononoke too. Hopefully its the same kind of situation and he goes back to directing again. Hes kind of like the Jay-Z of anime lol.
He announced retirement multiple times. The problem was Kondou Yoshifumi's death who was his most likely successor + Hosoda Mamoru leaving Ghibli due to greedy sponsor kicking him out from directing Howl's shitty castle + Sheer existance of Miyazaki Goro who is just bad at directing. If Kondou didn't die, Hosoda didn't leave, Goro was at least half good as his father, he would've retired like 10 or more years ago already.

Edited:
Plus, post Miyazaki will NEVER be Shinkai unless he shows us something more other than beautiful animation and BG drawings and actually escapes from pretentious pattern he seems to insists regarding the scenario of the story. The definite+most likely post Miyazaki in Japan is Hosoda Mamoru which seems to be more generally accepted by the critiques.
KitchiriSep 2, 2013 5:07 AM
Sep 2, 2013 5:54 AM

Jul 2013
Well, I'll miss his fantastic work. He had a fantastic run.
Sep 2, 2013 6:13 AM

Dec 2011
Farewell, Hayao, and don't come back anymore!
Sep 2, 2013 6:54 AM

Apr 2012
May he have a happy retirement.
Thank you for all the wonderful childhood memories.
"The more inexperienced you are, the more you want to show off."
- Oreki, Hyouka
Sep 2, 2013 7:27 AM
Jan 2010
Good riddance. The death of Studio Ghibli begins.
Sep 2, 2013 7:37 AM

May 2011
Thank you for everything! You're the Best! :)
Sep 2, 2013 7:44 AM

Dec 2011
i bid you farewell.. you will be missed legend.. :(
Sep 2, 2013 8:09 AM

Aug 2011
After all his contributions to the industry, I say that this is a very well deserved break. I'll certainly miss his contributions, but he deserves this. :)
Sep 2, 2013 9:43 AM

Nov 2008
Orix said:

Yeah Ghibli is pretty much doomed if Miyazaki actually retires, they aren't exactly a studio that can do anime geared towards Otaku and without Miyazaki, that's what's going to start come out of the studio since the direction is no longer there for the masterpieces.

Sep 2, 2013 9:48 AM

May 2010
Sad news! :(

Hope he has a good one. ^_^

I freakin' <3 his works. masterpieces. :'D
"Wait for the signal, and I'll meet you after dark"
Sep 2, 2013 9:53 AM

Oct 2007
A farewell to the legend

Hoppy said:
Orix said:

Yeah Ghibli is pretty much doomed if Miyazaki actually retires, they aren't exactly a studio that can do anime geared towards Otaku and without Miyazaki, that's what's going to start come out of the studio since the direction is no longer there for the masterpieces.

I think they have a philosophy of direction that lives on within the current stock of their directors, but they are aging too. His son Goro is starting to come into his own after a rough start that Hayao kind of brought on for him by basically shitting on his first movie before it really even got off the ground and Takahata their second most prolific director still has a new movie coming out and hasn't announced any sort of retirement so I don't think they're in all that much trouble really. At least not yet.

I do not see them suddenly switching gears to appeal to otaku exclusively though at all. That's kind of everything Miyazaki and the founders stood against in terms of philosophy when they founded Ghibli. He never had very fond things to say about fanservice, sexualization of females in anime art and the idea of moe after all.

Kitchiri said:

Plus, post Miyazaki will NEVER be Shinkai unless he shows us something more other than beautiful animation and BG drawings and actually escapes from pretentious pattern he seems to insists regarding the scenario of the story. The definite+most likely post Miyazaki in Japan is Hosoda Mamoru which seems to be more generally accepted by the critiques.

Why would Miyazaki have had to at any point been Shinkai. They aren't even from the same generation and occupy entirely different philosophies. Unless you meant that the other way around as your follow up sentence indicates as I think Miyazaki was far more rounded as a director than Shinkai has ever shown us to be yet and not to mention it's usually the older director that influences and is drawn upon by the younger directors in the film industry.

Pirating_Ninja said:
Tis a dark day for the quality of anime.

Man it's been a dark season for the quality of anime let alone a dark day. This is just another example of why this stretch has been particularly tough going.
PeacingOutSep 2, 2013 10:07 AM
Sep 2, 2013 10:28 AM

Aug 2013
Studio Ghibli was a big reason for me getting into anime. I'm sad Hayao Miyazaki's leaving. He directed the BEST movies...
Sep 2, 2013 10:30 AM

May 2013
Nooooo Hayao :(
Sep 2, 2013 11:04 AM

Mar 2008
NOOOOOOO!!! ~ The horror!!!
Sep 2, 2013 11:33 AM

Apr 2011
While I'm not overly familiar with his works and was not even aware of who he was until early this year, I do know that Miyazaki Hayao is a legend in not just Japanese animation, but in animation as a whole. It's always sad to see a legend retire, but that can only bring hope that someone will stand up and fill the hole that is left. In other words, this could be a blessing for anime. Either way, at the age of 72 and with all he's done, I'd say he deserves the rest.
Sep 2, 2013 11:43 AM

Jul 2009
yhunata said:
Either way, at the age of 72 and with all he's done, I'd say he deserves the rest.

I agree. I'm going to miss him and his movies, but he can't work forever.
Sep 2, 2013 12:01 PM

Jan 2012
Thank you Miyazaki-san for 50 years of great work. It will be a a great loss for the anime industry.

Who could ever forget Kaze no Tani no Naushika or Tonari no Totoro...Classic

Very sad that this day had to come...
Sep 2, 2013 1:41 PM

Sep 2011
None of his movies were moe.

They all sucked!!1111!11oneone
"Justice Never Dies!" - Kenji Endou, 20th century Boys
Sep 2, 2013 2:00 PM
Mar 2009
Well this is...shocking.

Or maybe not. I'm just a little saddened he's leaving already.
Sep 2, 2013 2:46 PM

Jun 2010
GoldenthunderBRS said:
Don't know who he is since I haven't watch his films before, but dang that is sad.

What?? You just gave me a little heart attack right there... no but seriously, you should really watch his films they're really great!
Sep 2, 2013 3:11 PM

Sep 2012
I should get to all his other works I haven't seen.

Have a great retirement sensei, may this generation and the next learn how to make great, if not better films.
Sep 2, 2013 3:35 PM

Aug 2007
Its a bad new for the fans of the Studio and the director, but hey, Miyazaki needs to rest.
Sep 2, 2013 4:08 PM

Mar 2008
Miyazaki bounces between retirement and working often so I'm not terribly worried. But if he does that's just fine he's worked in the business for a good part of 40-50 years so he's earned it.

On the other hand he could very well retire from directing but continue work as a producer/planner letting his much younger staff members take up the helm. Whatever he chooses he's certainly going to leave a legacy like no other
My Channel Anime Reviews, Unboxings and More
Drak Shadow For LetsPlays and Movie Vlogs
Sep 2, 2013 4:46 PM
Feb 2008
Didn't he already do this? Wasn't Ponyo supposed to be his last movie?? And then he sort of came out of retirement?
Sep 2, 2013 4:47 PM

Jan 2009
well deserved retirement
Sep 2, 2013 4:55 PM

Aug 2010
My life has ended! T^T

Thanks for your hard work, when I have kids I'll show them your films.
TheInvisibleSelfSep 2, 2013 4:59 PM
Sep 2, 2013 5:21 PM

Jul 2013
As I was reading through this thread I was making various sad puppydog faces. Just... wha...? D':

However, I do agree... he's done so much and at this age, he deserves the rest. Miyazaki is my inspiration. He's the reason why I'm going to make my own animated films when I grow up. I thank this awesome man of awesomeness for that. And also for inspiring my forum avatar. :'3
Sep 2, 2013 6:02 PM

Feb 2012
Sad news indeed... It'll be difficult to have another great anime director like him. Enjoy your retirement, ossan! :D
Sep 2, 2013 6:47 PM

Dec 2010
Thank you, Miyazaki, for providing many hours of wonderful, nostalgic entertainment. May you forever live through your animated masterpieces.
Sep 2, 2013 8:41 PM

Apr 2013
He has been in filmaking longer than most of the MAL users have been alive, the man needs rest. He has already immoralised himself through his films, so he will still be with us with his previous work.
While this news is sad, it isn't really shocking.
I was just recently thinking about how in the future, all of my favorite directors will either retire or die. I when think about stuff like that, it happens soon. I need to just stop thinking.
As for Miyazaki, he deserves his rest.
I hope he ends his career with a bang.
"But ur a retard."
~Akito_Kinomoto
Sep 2, 2013 9:30 PM

Sep 2012
Doaj said:
This tidbit caught my attention though:

"In an interview on Japanese television channel TBS's Ō-sama no Brunch program, Miyazaki revealed that he is open to the possibility of a Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind film sequel. However, he would leave such a hypothetical project in the hands of Nausicaä key animator and Evangelion director Hideaki Anno. Anno collaborated with Miyazaki and Ghibli on "Kyoshinhei Tokyo ni Arawaru" (Giant God Warrior Appears in Tokyo), last year's live-action tokusatsu (special-effects) short, and he then voiced the lead role in Miyazaki's The Wind Rises."
Actually this report is distorting what Miyazaki said quite a bit. He did not say that he would "leave the project to Hideaki Anno". He only said that if Anno insisted that a sequel to be made he would allow such project to go ahead. He never actually said he would leave it to Anno or anybody, and he talked about this BEFORE he announced his retirement from making feature length film.

To be honest, I have a lot of misgivings about how so many English reports keep jumping to conclusions and over-simplify the actual words which means readers like you can easily draw the wrong conclusions.

Klonoa79H said:
Uh guys, remember that he said he would retire after Princess Mononoke... and Spirited Away... and Howl.... and Ponyo... and Wind Rises... okay, see a pattern here? He's retired at least 5 times,
At that time he only said he considered (or seriously considered) retirement, which is very different from saying he is definitely retiring, which seems to be what he is saying now.
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Sep 2, 2013 9:39 PM
Mar 2011
almost 50 years in the industry hes gave his life to the atum of his life he can rest
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Sep 2, 2013 9:40 PM

Sep 2012
DraconisMarch said:
symbv said:
GoldenthunderBRS said:
understand me that I just haven't heard him before people. Though in the club someone helped me who he is so please stop going crazy by saying those stuff geeez. fon't need that.
I guess if you had phrased your first post better like doing some basic research about who he is and how famous he is before jumping into this thread stating "I don't know him and I have never seen his work" the outcome could have been very different. At the end, people would ask why you want to comment if you have no idea who he is?
Wow, that's pretty hypocritical, telling him to do research before posting when you sniped at someone when you didn't even understand what they were referring to. People might ask you why you want to reply to someone when you don't know what they're talking about. ...Oh.
Now show me what I did not understand what he was referring to?? All the "simple research" he needs to do is to click on the link I provided in my first post and the whole list of Miyazaki's works would come before his eyes. Why posted something like "I don't know him at all" while it is so easy to find out what this person did (and according to posts already in the thread he is clearly a famous person in the industry). Your reply seems so lacking in logic and sense that it is mind boggling that you could even write up so much to talk about how people are "hypocritical". You may be better stick to your usual low level of trolling by short comments instead which seems to suit your style and logic much better.

DraconisMarch said:
I don't think I've ever seen a staff member make such immature and caustic replies.
Coming from a perpetual immature and sarcastic chap (and many have rightly pointed this out to you multiple times) I really doubt how much you know about maturity and ability to sound sensible LOL. As I explained time and again, I do not consider myself as any mods when I am not starting a news thread. And if you think you can keep your inconsiderate, caustic and sarcastic approach to MAL posting in this News Board just because you use double-standard for people posting against your posts, then you should think again.
symbvSep 2, 2013 9:53 PM

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Sep 2, 2013 9:42 PM
Mar 2011
and futher nnote now once takahata gpes the links to the Old Toei Douga are dead sad that toei took there mascot from a movie made by Miyazaki
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Sep 2, 2013 9:48 PM

Sep 2012
Kitchiri said:
symbv said:
741shadow said:
Was it because of the controversies around Kaze Tenchu
You mean the controversy of it showing smoking in the movie? Oh yes, this is actually the biggest controversy of the film in Japan LOL
If that's what you say... you are quite ignorant. Because I personally think Kaze Tenchinu just showed huge limitition of Miyazaki Hayao, not being able to escape from stereotypical view of Japanese seeing war. Edited: Controversy coming from the series is not just a single fact it is 'Zero-sen' that is featured as something that protagonist pursuits and dreams, which was nothing more than a tool of inhuman war of Japan.
Not sure where you based your "ignorant" claim from because I entirely agree with your saying about Miyazaki's limitation, BUT the fact is if we want to look into actual CONTROVERSIES surrounding Kaze Tachinu, the zero-sen issue features very little in Japan. Any controversies, like the arguments about the attitude of this move regarding Zero-sen and the war that are taking place in South Korea, as long as it does not flare up in Japan, would be a negligible factor in Miyazaki's decision on his future, which is what 741shadow's original post was about anyway.

Kitchiri said:
He announced retirement multiple times.
I don't think those were formal announcement, but more loud talk about considering retirement, which is different from what we see this time.
symbvSep 2, 2013 9:51 PM

Sep 2, 2013 10:28 PM

Mar 2012
For 15 years he announced his retirement, and yet it is still there ...
It's true that getting old now. But as he has not found a successor, I don't think he leaves.
J'ai toujours eu ce sentiment un peu étrange d'être comme extérieur à mon corps. Cette impression de flotter quelque part au dessus, ou d'être dans une salle de cinéma, assis au fond, en train de regarder un long film interminable et à attendre que quelque chose se passe. Cette impression de lutter pour devoir rester éveillé, cette envie d'attraper le personnage principal pour lui dire de se bouger, sans cependant pouvoir rien faire sans briser l'écran.
Sep 2, 2013 11:41 PM

May 2012
I feel so sad reading this... :((
His works are masterpieces and all of them will be forever in my heart......
Sep 3, 2013 12:53 AM

Dec 2012
Oh nooooo!!! *sigh* I didn't think this day would come this soon.... awww ;A;
Sep 3, 2013 1:08 AM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
*Minute of silence* It's a sad day for anime.
Sep 3, 2013 4:41 AM
Jun 2008
Thank you sir Miyazaki for all of the classis you gave us.
Sep 3, 2013 8:30 AM

Dec 2012
I honestly don't know why but this news made me slightly happy ._.
Sep 5, 2013 5:13 PM

Nov 2007
Seems like there will be an interview for Hayao Miyazaki's retirement
http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv151185497
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

» GoHands Produces Original TV Anime 'Momentary Lily' for Winter 2025

DatRandomDude - Apr 25

19 by BirdyTheMighty »»
52 minutes ago

» Q2 2024 Anime & Manga Licenses

Snow - Apr 5

2 by alpha_shadow »»
5 hours ago

» 'Overlord: Sei Oukoku-hen' Movie Reveals Additional Cast, Trailer, Fall 2024 Premiere

Doshigatai - Mar 22

6 by rikazkhan »»
8 hours ago

» 'Tensei shitara Dainana Ouji Datta node, Kimama ni Majutsu wo Kiwamemasu' Announces Additional Cast

DatRandomDude - Mar 4

1 by AxaraCereb »»
Yesterday, 2:31 PM

» Manga 'Senpai ga Uzai Kouhai no Hanashi' Ends with 13th Volume

Hyperion_PS - Apr 25

9 by Playcool »»
Yesterday, 12:16 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.