Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Aug 29, 2013 8:53 PM

Apr 2009
Edefrem said:
^Omg dude, I thought post was for me at first and I was like "NOOOOOO I THOUGHT WE WERE ON THE TEAM TOGEHTER" but I realized who you were referring to lol
And yeah, I'm still waiting for her to defend he hate instead of trying to make me feel bad about myself
which will never happen darling, I love who I am

haha. Sorry. I realized that after I posted it and was going to change it but thought, what if someone has already quoted it? We're kinda in the middle of an active conversation.
Aug 29, 2013 9:20 PM

Sep 2012
Edefrem said:
^Omg dude, I thought post was for me at first and I was like "NOOOOOO I THOUGHT WE WERE ON THE TEAM TOGEHTER" but I realized who you were referring to lol
And yeah, I'm still waiting for her to defend he hate instead of trying to make me feel bad about myself
which will never happen darling, I love who I am

KittyCalando said:

I really hate to get into the middle of things, but I'd just like to put it out there that I agree with you Edefrem. Mikuo_Chan, I'm not a big fan of Rin myself, but everybody has their own opinions. It's fine if you don't like Rin, but you don't have to be rude or ignorant about it.

I just really hate to see fighting within the forums, especially since the both of you both support this amazing show. >.<
THANK YOU.
See Mikuo? This is how you should be. If you don't like Rin, then that's cool. But if you post about how much you hate him, then that's not cool because that pisses the people who like him off.
Pfft I don't care it's just a damn cartoon you know. Characters be jerks and I will hate them you already know a lot of people think that way. So you go ahead and keep trying to convert people I on the other hand will keep hating him cuz its my opinion he's a stupid jerk. And yeees its my opinion HAHAHA! But how silly of me, opinions mean jack shit on the net! We should all know that by now. I cant believe I wasted time in these threads talking about this lol

I cant wait till next ep if he's a jerk in that one I'm going to spam so much hate just because I can ಥ⌣ಥ
Aug 29, 2013 9:23 PM
Aug 2013
hikoghert said:
I think the post means to defend Rin as a literary character, not a person, so Rin’s treatment of Makoto and Nagisa does nothing to detract from the point.

The post is predicated on the assumption that a consistent character is a likable character. That's not the case. Everything I've argued previously is taking Rin as a person, not as a fictional construct.

hikoghert said:
I find this expectation to be inconsistent with his character and the trajectory of storytelling. I think it was rather IC for him to gloat a little considering what that race meant to him, his own internal relief, and where KyoAni wanted to push the story. Haru has been shown to be very unconfrontational about his own feelings and either unable or unwilling to realize and deal with them. If Rin had never said those things to him and just left him alone, he would never be thinking about what he wanted from swimming and both of them would just be left wondering why they felt so empty afterwards with no push to move forward. So if we're going to talk about what's 'necessary' for the plot, I think it was.

The reason Haruka was upset after the race was because he felt rejected by Rin. Asserting that the only way he could feel "rejected" is the way KyoAni wrote it doesn't really wash with me. I can see the scene playing out similarly with Rin not even looking at Haruka and walking away. Storytellers always have options, and that one I felt was a little bit over the top and cringe-inducing. That's what I meant when I pointed out what the story actually "needed" as opposed to "what it did".

hikoghert said:
Are you saying he doesn’t deserve it and that they shouldn’t? Because you seem quite derisive of the general idea.

If Rin apologizes and changes his attitude, then "no harm, no foul". My main issue with Rin as a character is that people have gone to great effort for him, both in reaching out to him and telling him they care, and he's continuously thrown that back in their faces. I'd prefer that he squirm a little, but due to the way KyoAni has treated other situations (like Rei's night swimming jaunt) I really do think Rin will have his epiphany, eventually apologize, and that will be it.

Typing that out, I think what concerns me is an ongoing thread of the narrative, or lackthereof. We're expected, as viewers, to wonder "What happened to Rin? Why is he being such a jerk?" whereas when I watch, my thought process is more "I wonder how the others, aside from Haruka, feel about Rin being a jerk? How do they feel, knowing that Rin came back and only got in touch with Haruka?" Because the emphasis is on "Will Rin get healed?" I feel a sense of negative tension because it feels as though the actual victims will be expected to just grin and say "Welcome back, Rin!" without ever exploring their side of it.

Mind you, that doesn't make the series bad. It's simply not the story it wants to tell. I think another series could have told both stories, but Free is, at heart, pretty light entertainment.

hikoghert said:
But Haru wants to swim with RIN. He cares about him as a person, not just about the concepts of ‘fun’ that Rin helped him realize. In High Speed! Haru found a unique level of competition with Rin that he was interested in (it was more or less in his own head). Haru cares about winning and Rin has always been the one he’s competed with.

Of course Haruka wants to swim with Rin. It's just that he's stuck in a rut thinking that he can only achieve the happiness of his childhood if Rin is there. That's why he got visibly distraught when others brought up the idea of swimming in a relay--he doesn't want to do it without Rin, because it won't be the same. That "it won't be the same" nearly made him miss out on swimming the relay with his current team though. "Not the same" doesn't have to mean "not valuable" or "not worth it".

hikoghert said:
Are you saying he should stop hanging onto the idea of swimming with Rin so he can interact with Rin without emotional tangles? That’s… really cold. And idk if that’s what you actually expect from the anime, but I don’t think that will happen. Rin is set for change. They’re both set up for realizing that they want to swim with each other as rivals.

I'm not saying Haruka should give up on swimming with Rin. I'm saying he needs to stop living in the past and realize that he's not eleven years old any more. He has a new team that loves and supports him and wants to swim with him. Once he finds that center, once he realizes that change isn't the same as rejecting his fond memories, then he can reach out to Rin as he is now, hurt and lost and lonely.

As long as both Rin AND Haruka insist on using one another, they'll never be able to connect and get past the way they initially hurt one another. That private match they had forced time to stop for both of them. They need to understand that the clock has actually been ticking this entire time.

EDIT: This is probably a little unclear, so I'll try to explain it better. I think Haruka has made Rin into a symbol just as much as Rin has made him into a symbol. To Haruka, Rin "took away" what made him happy about swimming on a team when he rejected him as children. Therefore, he assumes only Rin can give it back to him, when that's not really the case. I'm not trying to say that Haruka should move on from Rin, or reject him, or not value swimming with him. I'm trying to say that once Haruka takes the pressure off of Rin to "give him back his happiness", then he can connect and enjoy swimming with Rin as a person instead of an "event he feels he needs to overcome."

hikoghert said:
In another post, you said that Makoto was key to Haru’s eventual realization about what he wanted from swimming. I would say that Nagisa was the one who really got the ball rolling. Nagisa started the swim team, the very idea that they would be swimming together. In fact, everyone has had an equally important hand in his act of realization: Kou by putting them in the relay; Nagisa and Rei and Kou by leaving that very enthusiastic message on his phone, without which he probably wouldn’t be swimming in the medley; Makoto who by the very act of actually voicing his desires for once made Haru aware of how much Makoto actually wanted it; and Rei who required Haru’s guidance. This is why what he wants to ‘recapture’ is also dependent on Rin coming around in a positive manner. It’s dependent on everyone in his life because he wants to swim with them all.

Yes, that's correct. I was only talking about this episode, where Makoto acts as the bridge between Haruka and Rin, telling Rin what Haruka has wanted to tell him all this time, and providing an example for Haruka to get his brain going as he watches everyone else. As far as the series in general goes, they wouldn't have a club (or Rei) without Nagisa and Kou--both Makoto and Haruka are too passive to have thought of something like that--and they wouldn't be swimming the relay right now without Rei. I didn't mean to imply otherwise.
tokinokanataeAug 29, 2013 10:13 PM
Aug 29, 2013 10:46 PM

Apr 2009
tokinokanatae said:
hikoghert said:
I think the post means to defend Rin as a literary character, not a person, so Rin’s treatment of Makoto and Nagisa does nothing to detract from the point.

The post is predicated on the assumption that a consistent character is a likable character. That's not the case. Everything I've argued previously is taking Rin as a person, not as a fictional construct.

Like I said, it is the case with some viewers. In fact, many defenders of Rin don't try to portray him as a likable character, but note that his literary development as one of the things they like about him and say that perhaps others could take that into account.

tokinokanatae said:
hikoghert said:
I find this expectation to be inconsistent with his character and the trajectory of storytelling. I think it was rather IC for him to gloat a little considering what that race meant to him, his own internal relief, and where KyoAni wanted to push the story. Haru has been shown to be very unconfrontational about his own feelings and either unable or unwilling to realize and deal with them. If Rin had never said those things to him and just left him alone, he would never be thinking about what he wanted from swimming and both of them would just be left wondering why they felt so empty afterwards with no push to move forward. So if we're going to talk about what's 'necessary' for the plot, I think it was.

The reason Haruka was upset after the race was because he felt rejected by Rin. Asserting that the only way he could feel "rejected" is the way KyoAni wrote it doesn't really wash with me. I can see the scene playing out similarly with Rin not even looking at Haruka and walking away. Storytellers always have options, and that one I felt was a little bit over the top and cringe-inducing. That's what I meant when I pointed out what the story actually "needed" as opposed to "what it did".

I don't think Haru would realize things as quickly as he's bound to without Rin saying 'I won't swim with you'. It was also a thematically appropriate thing to say. Had Rin just walked away with the silent intention of never swimming with him again, I can see Haru just spending time emotionally/mentally (but not consciously) waiting for them to swim together again. But then be confused about why he feels sad after some time??? What's important here is the 'push'. Also, Haru was also dejected after the race because he lost. It's not just because Rin's rejection.

tokinokanatae said:
hikoghert said:
Are you saying he doesn’t deserve it and that they shouldn’t? Because you seem quite derisive of the general idea.

If Rin apologizes and changes his attitude, then "no harm, no foul". My main issue with Rin as a character is that people have gone to great effort for him, both in reaching out to him and telling him they care, and he's continuously thrown that back in their faces. I'd prefer that he squirm a little, but due to the way KyoAni has treated other situations (like Rei's night swimming jaunt) I really do think Rin will have his epiphany, eventually apologize, and that will be it.

Typing that out, I think what concerns me is an ongoing thread of the narrative, or lackthereof. We're expected, as viewers, to wonder "What happened to Rin? Why is he being such a jerk?" whereas when I watch, my thought process is more "I wonder how the others, aside from Haruka, feel about Rin being a jerk? How do they feel, knowing that Rin came back and only got in touch with Haruka?" Because the emphasis is on "Will Rin get healed?" I feel a sense of negative tension because it feels as though the actual victims will be expected to just grin and say "Welcome back, Rin!" without ever exploring their side of it.

Mind you, that doesn't make the series bad. It's simply not the story it wants to tell. I think another series could have told both stories, but Free is, at heart, pretty light entertainment.

I think Nagisa and Makoto's nbd approach to Rin's douchiness wasn't OOC particularly. Nagisa just said in a playful manner, "Rin-can was so mean!", and Makoto, much like the viewer, wondered why Rin had become the way he was. They seemed more curious than hurt. I think it's within Makoto's personality to be very understanding and forgiving, and Nagisa's personality to treat most things in a lighthearted manner. However, Rin should still apologize of course. I think next episode will deal with how Nagisa feels about Rin some more.

tokinokanatae said:
hikoghert said:
But Haru wants to swim with RIN. He cares about him as a person, not just about the concepts of ‘fun’ that Rin helped him realize. In High Speed! Haru found a unique level of competition with Rin that he was interested in (it was more or less in his own head). Haru cares about winning and Rin has always been the one he’s competed with.

Of course Haruka wants to swim with Rin. It's just that he's stuck in a rut thinking that he can only achieve the happiness of his childhood if Rin is there. That's why he got visibly distraught when others brought up the idea of swimming in a relay--he doesn't want to do it without Rin, because it won't be the same. That "it won't be the same" nearly made him miss out on swimming the relay with his current team though. "Not the same" doesn't have to mean "not valuable" or "not worth it".

hikoghert said:
Are you saying he should stop hanging onto the idea of swimming with Rin so he can interact with Rin without emotional tangles? That’s… really cold. And idk if that’s what you actually expect from the anime, but I don’t think that will happen. Rin is set for change. They’re both set up for realizing that they want to swim with each other as rivals.

I'm not saying Haruka should give up on swimming with Rin. I'm saying he needs to stop living in the past and realize that he's not eleven years old any more. He has a new team that loves and supports him and wants to swim with him. Once he finds that center, once he realizes that change isn't the same as rejecting his fond memories, then he can reach out to Rin as he is now, hurt and lost and lonely.

As long as both Rin AND Haruka insist on using one another, they'll never be able to connect and get past the way they initially hurt one another. That private match they had forced time to stop for both of them. They need to understand that the clock has actually been ticking this entire time.

EDIT: This is probably a little unclear, so I'll try to explain it better. I think Haruka has made Rin into a symbol just as much as Rin has made him into a symbol. To Haruka, Rin "took away" what made him happy about swimming on a team when he rejected him as children. Therefore, he assumes only Rin can give it back to him, when that's not really the case. I'm not trying to say that Haruka should move on from Rin, or reject him, or not value swimming with him. I'm trying to say that once Haruka takes the pressure off of Rin to "give him back his happiness", then he can connect and enjoy swimming with Rin as a person instead of an "event he feels he needs to overcome."

hikoghert said:
In another post, you said that Makoto was key to Haru’s eventual realization about what he wanted from swimming. I would say that Nagisa was the one who really got the ball rolling. Nagisa started the swim team, the very idea that they would be swimming together. In fact, everyone has had an equally important hand in his act of realization: Kou by putting them in the relay; Nagisa and Rei and Kou by leaving that very enthusiastic message on his phone, without which he probably wouldn’t be swimming in the medley; Makoto who by the very act of actually voicing his desires for once made Haru aware of how much Makoto actually wanted it; and Rei who required Haru’s guidance. This is why what he wants to ‘recapture’ is also dependent on Rin coming around in a positive manner. It’s dependent on everyone in his life because he wants to swim with them all.

Yes, that's correct. I was only talking about this episode, where Makoto acts as the bridge between Haruka and Rin, telling Rin what Haruka has wanted to tell him all this time, and providing an example for Haruka to get his brain going as he watches everyone else. As far as the series in general goes, they wouldn't have a club (or Rei) without Nagisa and Kou--both Makoto and Haruka are too passive to have thought of something like that--and they wouldn't be swimming the relay right now without Rei. I didn't mean to imply otherwise.

I don't think Haru was consciously trying to achieve happiness by having Rin there. He wasn't thinking that at all. He was thinking that he'd achieve freedom from his guilt in the past and Rin by swimming seriously against Rin and then having Rin win. This seems to imply that he thought that he would be happy WITHOUT Rin. What Haru is caught up on now is the reality that this didn't happen. He hasn't realized that he wants to swim with Rin even though he feels it. This doesn't have anything to do with him being caught up in fond memories but the both pleasant and unpleasant (his feelings) competitiveness that Rin brought out in him. This is not something his current team can provide him. Thus his happiness, while not ONLY dependent on Rin, is dependent on Rin to be complete.

When Haru rejected the medley, he said it was because he only swam 'free', meaning both he only swam frontcrawl and only swam alone. Consciously, it wasn't because of that fond memory of Rin, though perhaps he wanted to protect that. Haru currently displays aversions to swimming 'with' people (he didn't care to watch Makoto's race) so I don't think he has to get over his past but rather get on board with connecting with people. What Makoto said in this episode about Haru 'thinking there was more'... Haru himself hasn't acknowledged at all. I believe Makoto was referring to their rivalry in the past but that's Makoto's insight into Haru that he himself has yet to make.

Edit: Okay. I copied your response before your edit and even though I've included it in this response, upon review my response doesn't address your new addition completely. bbl.
hikoghertAug 29, 2013 10:57 PM
Aug 29, 2013 11:20 PM

Apr 2009
tokinokanatae said:
hikoghert said:

Yes, I agree that Haru made Rin into something of a symbol by making him the ~guilt~ of his past. However, I disagree that Haru has made the happiness of swimming with a team something that Rin could give back, because he joins a swim team right after and says 'it's in the past'. I saw that as him trying to enjoy swimming independently of Rin. And he's only currently realizing that such a happiness with teams exists. Through his interest in Rin's training regimen, him becoming upset when he heard that Rin was going to pursue competitive swimming without him, and Nagisa's words about him caring about his lap times when it comes to Rin, what he's seeking from Rin is specifically competition (High Speed! supports this but I think anime evidence is sufficient). I think his reconciliation with Rin and him embracing his team may happen concurrently.
Aug 29, 2013 11:32 PM
Aug 2013
hikoghert said:
Yes, I agree that Haru made Rin into something of a symbol by making him the ~guilt~ of his past. However, I disagree that Haru has made the happiness of swimming with a team something that Rin could give back, because he joins a swim team right after and says 'it's in the past'. I saw that as him trying to enjoy swimming independently of Rin. And he's only currently realizing that such a happiness with teams exists. Through his interest in Rin's training regimen, him becoming upset when he heard that Rin was going to pursue competitive swimming without him, and Nagisa's words about him caring about his lap times when it comes to Rin, what he's seeking from Rin is specifically competition (High Speed! supports this but I think anime evidence is sufficient). I think his reconciliation with Rin and him embracing his team may happen concurrently.

I think we're getting to the point of splitting hairs, but I just wanted to point out that I think Rei is correct in his assertion this episode that Haruka wasn't upset because he "lost" to Rin. Just like Haruka wasn't upset when he lost to Rin the first time. I think Haruka values swimming against Rin because he likes competing with him, but I think that if the show was mainly about Haruka and Rin learning to value their rivalry, there wouldn't be such an emphasis on "for" vs "with" and all the subtext it entails. Also, if it was just about swimming against Rin, then Haruka shouldn't have had the reaction to the suggestion of the relay he did. (Back in episode five.)
Aug 30, 2013 12:04 AM

Sep 2012
Rin is now acting like a tsundere LOL
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Aug 30, 2013 12:05 AM

Oct 2012
Mikuo_Chan said:
Pfft I don't care it's just a damn cartoon you know. Characters be jerks and I will hate them you already know a lot of people think that way. So you go ahead and keep trying to convert people I on the other hand will keep hating him cuz its my opinion he's a stupid jerk. And yeees its my opinion HAHAHA! But how silly of me, opinions mean jack shit on the net! We should all know that by now. I cant believe I wasted time in these threads talking about this lol

I cant wait till next ep if he's a jerk in that one I'm going to spam so much hate just because I can ಥ⌣ಥ

Then let his fans love him and let them spam their love for him, cuz its their opinion!
Is that SO fucking hard?

The only characters in this friggin show I genuinely like are Kou, Rin and Rei and people bash the male characters on that list all the damn time, but do you see me being a dickbreath with them?
Alone on a Friday night? Remember that DIO did nothing wrong!
Aug 30, 2013 12:21 AM

Sep 2012
Itermin8rX said:
Mikuo_Chan said:

Then let his fans love him and let them spam their love for him, cuz its their opinion!
Is that SO fucking hard?

The only characters in this friggin show I genuinely like are Kou, Rin and Rei and people bash the male characters on that list all the damn time, but do you see me being a dickbreath with them?
Hey I got no problem with that I only ever wrote about what a jerk I think he is. I have the right to hate something if I want to! You can love him all you want you can spam your love for him all you want SO LET ME DO THE SAME DAMMIT!
Edefrem said:
if you post about how much you hate him, then that's not cool because that pisses the people who like him off
People posting enormous analytical essays on how misunderstood Rin is PISSES THE PEOPLE WHO HATE HIM OFF! Double standards are everywhere on MAL!
Mikuo_ChanAug 30, 2013 12:34 AM
Aug 30, 2013 12:49 AM

Aug 2010
Itermin8rX said:
Mikuo_Chan said:

Is that SO fucking hard?

I'm sorry but did I miss something? Is he stopping people from declaring their love for Rin? He just said that he dislikes the character and a user got upset. This is a show, not everyone can have the same opinion, the same way not everyone can like the same person, even if the person is the nicest guy in the world.
If people who love Rin should be allowed to shout their love for him, he should also be allowed to shout his dislike for him too. He shouldn't have to keep quiet just because his opinion differs. I see no need for people to be outraged... Equal rights brah!
Aug 30, 2013 12:55 AM

Sep 2012
Opi-chan said:
Itermin8rX said:
Mikuo_Chan said:

Is that SO fucking hard?

I'm sorry but did I miss something? Is he stopping people from declaring their love for Rin? He just said that he dislikes the character and a user got upset. This is a show, not everyone can have the same opinion, the same way not everyone can like the same person, even if the person is the nicest guy in the world.
If people who love Rin should be allowed to shout their love for him, he should also be allowed to shout his dislike for him too. He shouldn't have to keep quiet just because his opinion differs. I see no need for people to be outraged... Equal rights brah!
I LOVE you °˖✧◝(⁰▿⁰)◜✧˖°
This right here is all I ever wanted.
Aug 30, 2013 1:09 AM

Oct 2012
Opi-chan said:
Itermin8rX said:
Mikuo_Chan said:

Is that SO fucking hard?

You missed my point.
From the arguments it seemed Edefrem (sorry if I dont spell correctly) just wanted to defend Rin a bit and Mikuo said he hated Rin and brought up this whole argument about a fictional character. I never said you have to like Rin, but let lovers love and haters hate.

I can be a cockbreath to the other characters too especially Nitori and Haruka, and obviously no one's gonna stop me from doing that, but it just brings up a pointless argument just like how PS3 and Xbox 360 was brought up (and it happened until the new consoles came up, unfortunately. >>) so let the lovers love and the haters hate and shut the fuck up.

If you really want to let your anger out with a 12 episode anime from KyoAni, just remember your opinion rules the world.
Not that hard.
Alone on a Friday night? Remember that DIO did nothing wrong!
Aug 30, 2013 1:44 AM

Aug 2010
Oh ok then. It seems we are saying the same thing. I thought you were picking on him, since it was only him you addressed and not the other user because she as well is voicing her opinion. That's all.
Aug 30, 2013 2:05 AM

Sep 2012
Itermin8rX said:
Opi-chan said:
Itermin8rX said:
Mikuo_Chan said:

Is that SO fucking hard?

You missed my point.
From the arguments it seemed Edefrem (sorry if I dont spell correctly) just wanted to defend Rin a bit and Mikuo said he hated Rin and brought up this whole argument about a fictional character. I never said you have to like Rin, but let lovers love and haters hate.

I can be a cockbreath to the other characters too especially Nitori and Haruka, and obviously no one's gonna stop me from doing that, but it just brings up a pointless argument just like how PS3 and Xbox 360 was brought up (and it happened until the new consoles came up, unfortunately. >>) so let the lovers love and the haters hate and shut the fuck up.

If you really want to let your anger out with a 12 episode anime from KyoAni, just remember your opinion rules the world.
Not that hard.
Actually the thing between Edefrem and I started in the ep 7 discussion. At some point we were discussing our differing opinions and everything was ok and then she said some things I think were slightly condescending. So now we are onto the ep 8 discussion where we have spent nearly no time at all discussing the actual episode. She wouldn't accept that people like to voice their opinions and I wouldn't accept... well the fact that she wouldn't accept that . We didn't agree on stuff, words were said in anger defensive barriers were put up and more condescension. But I can see now we are both to blame. Neither of us should have let other peoples opinions get to them.

You are absolutely right and I agree with you 100%
Aug 30, 2013 3:23 AM

Mar 2011
Mikuo_Chan said:

Edefrem said:
if you post about how much you hate him, then that's not cool because that pisses the people who like him off
People posting enormous analytical essays on how misunderstood Rin is PISSES THE PEOPLE WHO HATE HIM OFF! Double standards are everywhere on MAL!
Why would that piss you off? Lol, that hasn't pissed anyone off, besides you apparently.

Mikuo_Chan said:
Not that hard.
Actually the thing between Edefrem and I started in the ep 7 discussion. At some point we were discussing our differing opinions and everything was ok and then she said some things I think were slightly condescending. So now we are onto the ep 8 discussion where we have spent nearly no time at all discussing the actual episode. She wouldn't accept that people like to voice their opinions and I wouldn't accept... well the fact that she wouldn't accept that . We didn't agree on stuff, words were said in anger defensive barriers were put up and more condescension. But I can see now we are both to blame. Neither of us should have let other peoples opinions get to them.

You are absolutely right and I agree with you 100% Did we really talk in the episode 7 discussion? O__O I don't remember at all. But i guess.
Again, I'm fine with people voicing their opinions. I'm NOT fine with people who won't stick around to defend/explain them, which you haven't done or people who make shallow comments, like you did. The reason why we haven't discussed the episode is because you keep trying to make it seem like I'm trying convert you or something. That's not it. It's simply you saying you hate Rin, and me telling you why I think you shouldn't.
Aug 30, 2013 4:11 AM

Sep 2012
Edefrem said:
Mikuo_Chan said:

Edefrem said:
Why would that piss you off? Lol, that hasn't pissed anyone off, besides you apparently.

Mikuo_Chan said:

You are absolutely right and I agree with you 100%
Did we really talk in the episode 7 discussion? O__O I don't remember at all. But i guess.
Again, I'm fine with people voicing their opinions. I'm NOT fine with people who won't stick around to defend/explain them, which you haven't done or people who make shallow comments, like you did. The reason why we haven't discussed the episode is because you keep trying to make it seem like I'm trying convert you or something. That's not it. It's simply you saying you hate Rin, and me telling you why I think you shouldn't.

*Sigh* and here we go again. I'm out.
Mikuo_ChanAug 30, 2013 4:17 AM
Aug 30, 2013 5:21 AM

Jun 2008
Laciie said:
I see. I understand where you come from with Rin feeling envious towards Haru. But this doesn't mean that he doesn't admire him. The fact that Rin is so disappointed with Haru and thinks he has so much potential but is squandering it, indicates some admiration. The fact that someone he idolizes has so much talent and is wasting it disappoints them. I feel that it's around this time that he starts to slowly lose his admiration for Haru.

This was pretty much what I got from this episode. From watching the relay what I saw was the longing to belong to this group of guys again, but knowing that he won't be able to since his goal was reached and he could never again. Then again, by the end of the series they will be swimming as a team again (if we go by past stories).

Now, as for the cliffhanger. This isn't a new idea. If they win or not isn't a necessary point. We really don't need to know. The whole point was to make Rin realize that he missed these guys and by going to that next level he needed to give something up. Seeing Haru look at Rin, then dive into the pool gives Rin the idea that Haru knows what his next move is and Rin needs to go on with his goals. Win or lose doesn't matter at this time.
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?

Aug 30, 2013 8:36 AM

Sep 2012
tldr; all the pro/anti rin arguments

Rin is a vital part of the story, a complex character with a lot going on under the surface, but he's also obviously a difficult person with an often abrasive personality. Some people don't mind that because they see his redeeming features; others dislike him for his rude behaviour. I think either stance is fine?? There should be no arguing back and forth on this, respect what others feel.

In particular I don't understand why some people are sensitive about comments on Rin's douchey behaviour. Objectively, he has been douchey? There have been some shockers, not just in 7. But it doesn't change the fact that he's still a fantastic character/pretty cute in other ways? There is no need to write a long analysis on what is good about Rin in response to a negative reaction to his bad behaviour. It just sounds like a lame justification where none is to be had.
Aug 30, 2013 9:11 AM

Aug 2010
Edefrem said:
To everyone who hates Rin:
http://sozziesocks.tumblr.com/post/59638877024/warning-this-post-contains-even-more-spoilers-for

shut the fuck up and go away

Edefrem you say that you are ok with people voicing their opinions but this is one of the first posts you made in response to that, which shows you actually aren't, as you're telling everyone with differing opinions to go away. That's not right.

And the whole reason you posted that argument was because you wanted people who disliked Rin to read it and see their errors in disliking him. Ergo to realise he's actually an ok character thus converting them.

Isn't the whole reason why people argue between two things to convert the other into admitting that this thing is actually better? There's no need to go about it in a rude and brash way.

We can't all see the same way...
Aug 30, 2013 9:19 AM

Jun 2010
that cliffhanger oh my god
how is there only 4 eps left
Aug 30, 2013 1:13 PM

Mar 2011
Mikuo_Chan said:
Bai.

Opi-chan said:

Edefrem you say that you are ok with people voicing their opinions but this is one of the first posts you made in response to that, which shows you actually aren't, as you're telling everyone with differing opinions to go away. That's not right.
I'm fine with people who voice their opinions, but not when they do it obnoxiously. And I didn't mean "go away" literally, I meant it as, "Stop doing that" lol
Aug 30, 2013 2:57 PM
Nov 2009
Awww at Makoto waiting for Haru's return. It's actually too cute.

Very strong ending to this week's episode.
Aug 30, 2013 3:50 PM

Sep 2012
hikoghert said:
maverick0999 said:
Laciie said:
maverick0999 said:
Laciie said:
Mikuo_Chan said:
Edefrem said:
To everyone who hates Rin:
http://sozziesocks.tumblr.com/post/59638877024/warning-this-post-contains-even-more-spoilers-for

shut the fuck up and go away

Yeah yeah yeah what a load of analytical character crap! I want to watch a damn cartoon about sexy swimming guys, I'm not here for a psychology lecture.

Just goes to show that you have no argument. Guess what? Free! isn't just 'a damn cartoon about sexy swimming guys'. If you've actually been watching the show, you'd know. And in fact, what that person wrote on her blog compliments Free! as a whole not just Rin.

It is what it is.

The problem with free is that it dosen't know what to be sometimes is serious sometimes is full on comedy both haru and rin are made this serious characters but the other characters are made for comic relief like rei, nagisa, gou and makoto and they didn't bother to give them any development except the back story that we got for makoto that makes me not care about the other characters races or anything that they do yes there fun to watch and good for comic relief but if you can make haru and rin this serious characters why not try to develop some of the other characters. Now that i think about it has similar problems to SAO it dosen't know what to be it tries to be everything but succeeds in nothing.

The focus of Free! is on Rin and Haru. But the other characters do get development as well. Rei has developed from someone merely relying on theory to solve his problems and do well to someone who with the realization that theory doesn't solve everything; hard work does too. He's learnt to care about the team. Like this, the other characters also have their own role to play. Gou is someone who constantly worries about Rin and always tries and finds a way to get him back to the way he was before, Makoto has faced his fear and come to a conclusion that he wants to swim with everyone, Nagisa is the one who keeps them together, in a way. He's the one who suggested the swimming club, for example. He keeps them bonded. So, even though the focus is Haru and Rin, the other still have a role to play.

Free! has a good mix of seriousness and comedy. The first few episodes focused mainly on the comedy (mainly the first two), and the others became more serious. There is still comedy, of course, but there is less of it than before.

SAO itself is a plethora of problems that cannot be compared to Free! I don't want to discuss this though because SAO is not the topic at hand.

I'm not saying that Free! is a bad show for me its and ok to good show something like 6.5/10 but people are making the show more than it is like the whole complexity of Rin is stupid his just an over sensitive character who cannot let go of his lost against Haru that's not complexity that's your basic rival characters you can see those kinds of characters in every sports anime like in Hajime no Ippo you have Miyata who lost to Ippo in the early episodes and he cannot progress as boxer without beating Ippo which is the same character as Rin.
i won't call rei training and learning how to swim character development that's like calling power ups in shounen anime development.
I still think the show is fun and entertaining and worth watching but i don't like people making shows more than they are.

It's not about the existence of such characters but the execution. Anyone can just plop a character with a million complexities in their show if they wanted, but how they handle it, how they develop the character, the pacing and consistency and how the character contributes to the story, is what makes it a good story.
Also, sometimes it's just about what kind of viewers the show attracts. If nobody bothers discussing and brainstorming, the true ~*~complexity~*~ of a show might not be realized because nobody seems to give a shit. Nobody is saying that Rin is a uniquely interesting character, they just like discussing him. Just because this anime is getting more attention doesn't mean they're making it out to be 'more than it is'. It could be on the same level as other shows but those shows get less interest due to various factors.

That's the problem the shows tries so hard to develop Rin and make him this serious complex character but the other characters except Haru is for comedy and there to be there to progress the plot this will not be a problem if the plot was good but we know that most sports or comedy shows don't have complex deep plots like Monster,Death note or fate zero, Free! has a basic plot about 5 friends connected by swimming so the show needs to focus on the sport, characters or comedy the problem is that there's no balance the sport is like 20% of the show they only tell as the basic things about swimming there's 60% comedy almost in every episode there's some funny moments and 20% for the characters the show is only focusing on two characters even if there's five main characters the only other character that had little development is Makoto but they didn't even show the full races of the others characters. This is why people don't give a shit about Rin is because the show is so laid back and there so much comedy and the other main characters even Haruko are weird in a funny way like Haru obsession with water, Nagisa who's basically a moe girl character turn into a boy, Rei obsession with theory in anything and his more like a male tsundere, Makoto is the only level headed character. So compere to the other characters Rin feels out of placed its like the writers said lets make this only fun and games but lets just put on emotional complex character that's called forcing something in a show and when your forcing something its usually bad for the show.
Aug 30, 2013 8:25 PM

Sep 2012
Edefrem said:
Mikuo_Chan said:
Bai.

Opi-chan said:

I'm fine with people who voice their opinions, but not when they do it obnoxiously. And I didn't mean "go away" literally, I meant it as, "Stop doing that" lol

"stfu and go away" does not = "stop doing that lol"

I feel you probably didn't mean to be rude, and personally I didn't really get aggressive/angry vibes off it, but I can see why a couple of your repliers got angry lol. No one likes to be told to "stfu" when they are just expressing an opinion.

Also that tumblr post is pretty rude despite making a few good points. It makes you look bad promoting it tbh:

I get the impression that most of the Free! fandom doesn’t write for a living or even as a hobby—nor have they taken high school English classes. Perhaps if they had, they would understand CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT or STORY TELLING.

I.e. "Agree with me or you're stupid". Lol and the capitalisation, like "wow, no one understands these complex but basic concepts but me". Obnoxious, self congratulatory and a good example of how not to be persuasive.
VesperlyndAug 30, 2013 8:29 PM
Aug 30, 2013 8:40 PM

Mar 2011
Vesperlynd said:

"stfu and go away" does not = "stop doing that lol"
I didn't mean it literally lol, that's why I put the scratch through it (if that makes sense). If anything I expected people to address the article instead of the not-so-serious comment I put under it. I didn't actually expect anyone to take it quite so seriously/literally.

Vesperlynd said:

Also that tumblr post is pretty rude despite making a few good points. It makes you look bad promoting it tbh:

I get the impression that most of the Free! fandom doesn’t write for a living or even as a hobby—nor have they taken high school English classes. Perhaps if they had, they would understand CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT or STORY TELLING.

I.e. "Agree with me or you're stupid". Lol and the capitalisation, like "wow, no one understands these complex but basic concepts but me". Obnoxious, self congratulatory and a good example of how not to be persuasive.
I'm sorry if you feel that way towards the article. It's not perfect, and does take on a condescending tone, but I agreed with the main point it was trying to make and that's why I felt the need to post it.

Btw, just because I'm curious, did you actually read the whole debate I had with the 2 other users, or just the article? Because if it's not the latter then I'm surprised I never thought people actually read other's arguments on MAL. I know I never do
Aug 30, 2013 8:57 PM

Sep 2012
http://menarix.tumblr.com/post/59784446037/xharox-inspiration-for-nagisas-room-is

I wonder where that American nursery is....
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Aug 31, 2013 2:55 AM

Nov 2009
Lol that bed hair. I really hope they win the relay.

Read High Speed!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 31, 2013 3:01 AM

May 2012
00:19 dat Beeburr's heartbroken lol /p

00:29 dat disgusting OP

02:23 Amachan <3<3<3

・> ties
Isayama Hajime should be awarded The Manga with The Highest Inconsistencies of Characters' Appearances.
He keeps performing multiple plastic surgeries on those Shingeki No Kyojin characters in a SINGLE chapter.
Yes, I've read up to the latest chapter of Shingeki No Kyojin manga.
Forced myself to read through the kidsketching chapters after the anime's ended. At least from now on, I only have to go through the hell once a month.
Patiently awaiting SNK TV/movie/OVA anime-sequel.
The 2015 SNK live-action movie would probably suck.
Aug 31, 2013 3:34 AM

Sep 2012
Edefrem said:

Btw, just because I'm curious, did you actually read the whole debate I had with the 2 other users, or just the article? Because if it's not the latter then I'm surprised I never thought people actually read other's arguments on MAL. I know I never do

Skimmed read some of it. I don't have a concrete opinion on ships and characters in Free! (like someone said, it's a pretty light hearted anime and even the Rin/Haru angst is a little contrived tbh) so I was interested in why people had such strong feelings about Rin.

lol the only thing I do when Rin appears is frown and think about how weird it is that Mamoru Miyano's voice is coming out from between those shark teeth XD
Aug 31, 2013 6:10 AM

Oct 2012
Cliffhangeeer! >_<

From shower scene forward this episode was great.
Aug 31, 2013 7:46 AM

Sep 2009
HAHAHA. Nice one Gou-chan :D I didn't expected it.. Gaaa.. that was a big cliffhanger ..
Aug 31, 2013 8:34 AM

Nov 2012
hmm hmm awesome episode I see.. :3
looks like haru just get his spirit back :3
and next episode..
some festival wohoo!! XD
Aug 31, 2013 12:48 PM

Mar 2011
Vesperlynd said:

lol the only thing I do when Rin appears is frown and think about how weird it is that Mamoru Miyano's voice is coming out from between those shark teeth XD
Miyano's acting as Rin is so unffff. Like I'm not even joking, I'm getting all hot and bothered over a goddamn voice. Also I never really notice his shark teeth anymore, though at first I was like "wtf is up with his teeth?!?"
Aug 31, 2013 4:30 PM

Dec 2012
unf the muscles hnnnnnng
Aug 31, 2013 6:06 PM
Jul 2018
Pfft, Rin's all Jelly Jelly on Rei.

Besides that, this episode was really melodramatic compared to the other episodes, not sure if I see that in a positive or a negative way, but the episode was ok.

Also, 'dat OST. I can't wait until the OSTs are released.
Sep 1, 2013 11:02 AM

Jul 2013
Awesome episode (probably my favorite so far..) Hopefully, the team wins the relay next episode, because I will love to see that asshole Rin rage even more.
Sep 1, 2013 5:48 PM

Nov 2012
wow. did not expect rin to say that about rei XD
that almost made me laugh
Sep 1, 2013 7:55 PM

Apr 2009
That end card.
Sep 1, 2013 9:26 PM

Dec 2011
Rin is so jealous of Rei. Ha it serves him right for being such a jerk to Haru
Sep 2, 2013 3:05 AM

Nov 2010
That Coach cheering was awesome
It didn't surprise me Gou was checking out Haruka's bathtub when they were looking for him xD

Harbor view was beautiful around the end
The medley relay was pumping, Free! Brotherhood
Sep 2, 2013 3:06 AM

Sep 2012
I really liked their cheering this episode, and I don't exactly know why..
Sep 3, 2013 6:54 AM
Jul 2018

Rin so jealous!

Also, that end card. :3
Sep 3, 2013 9:38 AM

May 2009
wow rin got really bothered although haru told him he didn't care about winning
wonder y the drama
Sep 5, 2013 6:53 PM

May 2013
The OST while they're swimming in relay was awesome.

parfaited said:

I like how Gou went to check for Haru in the bathroom.

Glad I'm not the only one noticed this.
Sep 7, 2013 1:42 AM

Jun 2012
Really good episode, not one, but two swims ^^
Wow yeah, Rin is pretty jelly.

Sep 7, 2013 3:47 AM

Aug 2013
AH AH AHA Rin is jealous!
Sep 8, 2013 7:41 AM

Nov 2008
I didn't know depression in the shower could be so hot, ehehe >D
Sep 10, 2013 3:09 PM
Oct 2009
haha nice usually when people lose in competitions, especially in anime, we gotta wait for the next tournament or w.e. but this was a nice touch :P I reallyyyy hope they qualify for the regionals! <3 ha! n Rin being jealous of Rei! HA! SERVES YOU RIGHT! (zamma miro! ?)
Sep 13, 2013 12:45 PM

May 2013
Poor Haruka... Rin, stop being a douche!

Oh my, Gou's in pajamas! Lol, when they were in Haruka's house, Gou checked the bathroom!

Haruka and friends joined a relay. And Rin was watching them. This was my favorite part. Dat cliffhanger.
I’m always searching for something, for someone. This feeling has possessed me I think, from that day… That day when the stars came falling.
Sep 14, 2013 1:19 PM

Jun 2011
LittleStar said:
parfaited said:
Cut off at the most exciting part why don't you.

YEAH!
When they ended I was like: WHAT?! It's over!? I want more!

Me too.

Pretty good episode, but pretty depressing too at some parts.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

» Free! shows demographic matters more than ever

Sanjay63773 - Jan 23

8 by Yaoi4U »»
Apr 3, 10:36 AM

Poll: » Free! Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

lpf - Jul 24, 2013

315 by Luisito14 »»
Mar 21, 5:11 PM

Poll: » Free! Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 25, 2013

408 by CCC47 »»
Jan 18, 7:07 PM

Poll: » Free! Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2013

145 by CCC47 »»
Jan 18, 6:34 PM

Poll: » Free! Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 11, 2013

170 by CCC47 »»
Jan 18, 6:06 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.