Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Monogatari Series: Second Season
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Aug 4, 2013 9:41 AM

Nov 2012
just watched the sub version *finally* XD
damn I understand a lot of things finally XD

hmm.. I'm gonna miss neko XD and btw.. hanekawa shouldn't change the hair color XD

next kabuki damn.. I'm gonna cry XD
Aug 4, 2013 11:58 AM
Jul 2013
That's it!
Finally!
Char, Dio, Kenshiro, Lupin, Kamina, every Character voiced by Norio Wakamoto. I thought they're manly, but now I understand they're just little girls in comparison to Arararararagi! He's manlier than the whole 80s together!
Aug 4, 2013 12:00 PM

Mar 2009
My fav episode of the season so far.

It was so great. I only would like if we could have less randomness in Araragi suddenly appearing and becoming a Hero.

But, lol that Araragi turns into such hero, lol.

5/5
Aug 4, 2013 12:34 PM

Mar 2013
Fantastic ending to Hanekawa's story, resolving all her issues. Now we move onto Kabukimonogatari ^^ unless it is a recap next week as some people have said, can anyone confirm if it really is a recap episode next week?
Aug 4, 2013 1:04 PM
Apr 2013
I probably was as happy as Hanekawa when I first heard Araragi's voice..

That aside, I really wonder what had Araragi been doing with Kanbaru since he was so rugged?
Aug 4, 2013 1:24 PM

Nov 2010
Araragi saved Hanekawa again
That was a great end to a beautiful Arc
Ditch Koyomi and be with me instead Tsubasa!
Aug 4, 2013 2:20 PM

Apr 2013
dat entrance! lol so cool can't wait for next week!
Like robots? Then watch getter robot :D
Aug 4, 2013 2:25 PM

Jan 2011
Edefrem said:
katsu044 said:
arc ending nicely i truly feel they focused on Hanekawa little bit to much for my liking but it's over now so whatever hopefully the next arc is better.
Well it is her arc after all...
i meant in the whole series in general.
Aug 4, 2013 2:39 PM

Oct 2012
Got to say Araragi know how to make an entrance
Aug 4, 2013 3:14 PM

Aug 2012
Syntriate said:
AlexTheRiot said:

But why construct her character differently at all when the story is being faithfully adapted? The letter even states "that is the worthless answer to the question of why I am the way I am"..so why omit something the novel regards as so crucial? I do see your point in that they keep the focus on the fact that this was all her own doing, a byproduct of Hanekawa cutting away her own heart...but its bound to make viewers think "so that's it? she's just envious of a good family life and love?" Like I said, it lessens the scale of everything, and makes her breakdown scene less impactful. There's bound to be people thinking that she broke down in tears simply because she was rejected.

And the letter in the novel even(I assume) purposely doesn't spend much time putting it on the parents, so as to keep the focus on how she dealt with it.

And when she admits to the abuse, it isn't about revealing it to the reader(well it is) but rather her finally admitting it to herself, no longer turning her eyes away from it. This is a HUGE step in the process of facing everything, letting all that pain and emotion return to her.

If you didn't notice, they didn't even have time for the opening in this episode. Of course, if the arc was made one episode longer, then it would have been a crime to cut that part of the letter. I think it could have been executed as a few flashing walls of text though...

Just my theory...

No I did lol..and I said that I understand they can't fit everything in, especially from the letter, but that is the most important part of that letter because it explains EVERYTHING. They could've cut the ED theme last episode, or played it along with her revealing the abuse, and end the episode there. They also could have shortened a few other things, or used that flash text that SHAFT loves so much to quicken some things. And it's funny you say that, since it seems like next ep is gonna be a recap. If it really is, there's no reason they had to cut that and some other important things they cut.

And either way, there was no reason to cut it. As stated by Hanekawa herself, it's the reason she is the way she is. Something that crucial to a character's development should not be skipped, or even hinted at. Without it there is no reason for her to be jealous, to be stressed. Only something so traumatic would cause her to avert her eyes to all things negative, to cut away her own heart to save herself from feeling that pain and sorrow.

And on the matter of them doing it that way to keep the viewer focused on the way Hanekawa consequently dealt with the abuse, like I said, the novel keeps the explanation of the abuse short for that exact reason. It isn't about blaming the parents, it's just about understanding what caused her do something so drastic as cutting away her own heart, creating two abnormalities that are fueled to do so much harm. Without the abuse, the fuel within them has nothing to originally stem from. It's the reason Hanekawa became so easily stressed, and the reason she is so envious of people and their relationships.
Aug 4, 2013 3:26 PM

Nov 2009
Koybz said:
What a great episode. I actually had the biggest grin on my face when araragi arrived. It was quite the entrance. I love Hanekawa's new hair, why did she have to dye it?
Kabukimonogatari next week and oh man, I am really looking forward to this arc. It's going to be awesome.

I was the same.

However I have to admit that when I saw that part of the episode in the .gif, I was looking for it to be here as it's one of the most moe moments of the season I've seen so far. Black Hanekawa is truly adorable.
Aug 4, 2013 5:21 PM

Dec 2009
Fucking amazing, ..so sad and beautiful... damn it I wish there was an OVA of them getting together or something.
Aug 4, 2013 5:46 PM

Jan 2009
holy shit Araragi rejected Hanekawa damn
Aug 4, 2013 6:18 PM

Oct 2011
Amazing episode, best one of the season so far, imo. Hanekawa's character development is something to be lauded. Araragi's entrance was freaking awesome.

Aug 4, 2013 6:28 PM
Feb 2013
My GOD! the FEELS in this episode!
Arararararagi-san FINALLY appeared! >////////<

Loved Hanekawa in this, so depressing when she cried in the end. (TT.TT)

I love this series <3
Aug 4, 2013 7:07 PM

May 2013
suddenly hear araragi OMG SHOCK
Aug 4, 2013 7:18 PM

Aug 2012
It's about time Araragi showed up and poor Hanekawa, it was sad seeing her crying.
Aug 4, 2013 7:20 PM

Jan 2011
That was an amazing episode an a great conclusion to Hanekawa's arc, it was perfect! Hanekawa was able to conscious while in Black Hanekawa form. Araragi's appearance was so freaking badass with his ripped shirt and awesome sword. :) Hanekawa finally confessed to Araragi but was rejected as expected. That scene was really emotional, dem feels! :( I really like Hanekawa a lot now, this arc was better than I had expected.
5/5
Aug 4, 2013 8:02 PM

Aug 2010
Araragi! The show just wasn't the same without him. His entrance was so badass. About time Hanekawa told him his feelings. Now she can move on.

Looking forward to the next arc. I'm pretty sure I'm going to like it much better than this one.
Aug 4, 2013 8:37 PM

Mar 2012
araragi's back like a boss, great arc
Aug 4, 2013 9:06 PM

Aug 2011
wow, i am loving hanekawa's character development. i honestly didn't care about her at all when watching bakemonogatari, nor even when i was watching kuromonogatari, but she's gradually been growing on me, and i love her a lot now ;-;
Aug 4, 2013 9:48 PM

Aug 2012
kavvoru said:
wow, i am loving hanekawa's character development. i honestly didn't care about her at all when watching bakemonogatari, nor even when i was watching kuromonogatari, but she's gradually been growing on me, and i love her a lot now ;-;

same here she was actually one of my least fav characters in the series before second season started but now that I understand her character I can look back at her scenes in the other shows in a new light. I don't know how they're gonna follow this arc and her character development. i can't believe this is only episode 5
Aug 4, 2013 9:50 PM

Oct 2012
Araragi finally shows up!
Dat sword is long as hell.
Aug 4, 2013 9:59 PM

Aug 2012
can we talk about how good kako's seiyuu is? his voice is like smooth emotionless butter to my ears and when he said "i am like an automatic machine i will not be moe" i just died. everything about this season from the directing to the animation to the pacing starting from episode 1 just seems like a huge step up from the other installments. if the show just keeps getting better from here I don't know if I can handle it.
Aug 4, 2013 10:40 PM

Sep 2010
JOHJ said:

Ladies, contain your orgasms.

I'm a straight male and I don't think I could contain my orgasms. Koyomi's badass level just doubled..
I don't really care for Hanekawa (probably least favorite from all the girls) but this arch was still really moving.
SpagAug 4, 2013 10:52 PM
Aug 4, 2013 11:32 PM

Aug 2010
Hanekawa ;__; I'm just so happy for her now. She became a so much better character!
I think I will kind of miss this arc of hers.
Aug 4, 2013 11:50 PM

Sep 2012
Ah what a fantastic arc. I shed man tears when Hanekawa cried after being rejected. She's by far my favorite character in the series. I hope the "new" Hanekawa has a substantial part in the rest of the season.
Aug 5, 2013 12:04 AM

Apr 2012
Koyomi Fvcking Araragi!
The badass has landed! Great ending to the arc imo. not bad.
All my hngggggg wnet to the scene where hanekawa got patted on the head by araragi.
The Art of Shipping is no mere game. It can be small skirmishes to huge nation size wars.
Of course some will claim their ship is the BATTLESHIP but they all do. This is why battles occur because of factions fighting each other to justify their favourite ship.
And thus SHIP to SHIP combat occurs almost anytime even now.
Beware, Threading into the Shipping battlefield will be bloody.... What are you waiting for?
Aug 5, 2013 2:03 AM

Feb 2012
Damn, I am a hardcore Senjougahara x Araragi shipper, but seeing Hanekawa crying like that...
Anyway, awesome episode! Great ending to the arc, great conclusion, the animation was top notch as always... nothing to say. Looking forward for the next ep.
The only thing you can rely on is that you can't rely on anything.
Aug 5, 2013 3:27 AM

Jul 2011
THIS EPISODE!!! THE EPIC! THE ANIMATION! THE SCENES! THE DIALOGUE! THE FIGHT! THE VOICES! HANEKAWA CRYING! ARARAGI BADASS MODE ON! EVERYTHING WAS PERFECT!!!

1000/5
Aug 5, 2013 3:56 AM

Jun 2013
The Prior two comments sum up my feelings and thoughts entirely.
Aug 5, 2013 4:05 AM

Nov 2009
Best part of this arc ♥
Finally!! Araragi showed up!! xD
And now I respect Hanekawa because at first I don't have any sympathy for her. I'm glad she already accept herself.
Good grief, she's finally able to confess her love to Araragi. Araragi' answer made me smile all the day~ xD
Aug 5, 2013 4:36 AM

Apr 2013
Spag said:
JOHJ said:

Ladies, contain your orgasms.

I'm a straight male and I don't think I could contain my orgasms. Koyomi's badass level just doubled..
I don't really care for Hanekawa (probably least favorite from all the girls) but this arch was still really moving.

I know that feel bro. I nearly broke down when Araragi came in after 5 FUCKING episodes of just "Where were you damn it?!?". After the crack induced smile of course :P
Aug 5, 2013 5:21 AM

Jul 2012
This episode was just beautiful.
So, What do you think is on the other side?
Aug 5, 2013 6:34 AM

Jun 2013
To those who accidently pressed 1,2,3/5 on the vote description...i might forgive you.
To those who actually hated it i can give tou this-------> .!.
The episode was great!The arc was great!And stop playing the "pro" of anime.We all have seen many and know how to criticize A FACKING AWESOME EPISODE!and.....
OMG IT"S ARARAGI!! eeeeeeh i mean.....OMG IT"S ARARAGI!!!!
Aug 5, 2013 6:50 AM

Jul 2010
tankoubon-feind said:
can we talk about how good kako's seiyuu is? his voice is like smooth emotionless butter to my ears and when he said "i am like an automatic machine i will not be moe" i just died. everything about this season from the directing to the animation to the pacing starting from episode 1 just seems like a huge step up from the other installments. if the show just keeps getting better from here I don't know if I can handle it.

I actually made a Kako screencap. :3

hatahari said:

And yes, Kako will not be moe. :D :D :D
Senjougahara: Don't call me "this chick"
Araragi: Then what should I call you?
Senjougahara: Senjougahara-sama.
Araragi: SEN - JOU - GA - HAA - RAA - SAA - MAA
Senjougahara: I don't like the way you say it. Say it properly.
Araragi: Senjougahara-chan~
Aug 5, 2013 7:52 AM

Aug 2011
I was rather expecting that Araragi will come out that time. But still, it bring me a smile.

Good EP.
Chong The Nomad sang:
Even if you're lost, you can't~ Lose the love because that's in your heart~ Hooo oo ooo ooo oo~

My DeviantArt
To keep your drawing sanity, click here.
Aug 5, 2013 9:53 AM

Sep 2012
AkinoBlade said:
Koyomi Fvcking Araragi!
The badass has landed! Great ending to the arc imo. not bad.
All my hngggggg wnet to the scene where hanekawa got patted on the head by araragi.
Aug 5, 2013 10:23 AM

Jun 2008
Araragi really has overdone it with the epic entrance thing. Don't go be all awesome like that dude, then you will have girls confessing and you will have to reject them.

kitonok said:
sometim3s said:
Aaaaand the arc ends. Gosh, I loved Hanekawa's arc.

Oh, did anyone recognize the amount of Moby Dick references (esp the whiteness) during this arc?

Can you explain these references please?

More like Dorian Gray than Moby Dick.
Aug 5, 2013 11:39 AM

Apr 2012
This whole episode was wonderfully directed.
Aug 5, 2013 12:02 PM
Feb 2012
Monad said:

kitonok said:
sometim3s said:
Aaaaand the arc ends. Gosh, I loved Hanekawa's arc.

Oh, did anyone recognize the amount of Moby Dick references (esp the whiteness) during this arc?

Can you explain these references please?

More like Dorian Gray than Moby Dick.

Pretty sure it is more a reference to Yin/Yang symbol, since the two Neko stories are called Black and white. The moon is also heavily present which is a symbol of Yin energy and femininity , It also symbolizes subtlety. Clarity, reflection, and indirect deduction it softly illuminates. There's a shot of Koyomi's moonphases on the ceiling that is missing the New Moon which means the end of a cycle. The Moon and Crab (Cancer) share a link with the Ocean a symbol of life, renewel and change. The Moon is also connected to the cat.

The cat is Astute, Clever, Secretive, Mysterious, Intelligent, Intuitive, Supernatural, Watchful, Selective, Independent

when a cat makes an uncommon appearance in our lives it is a message for us to shake up our habitual routines and make some fresh changes in our lives, as well as be more flexible in our thinking.

the cat animal symbolism is synonymous with creativity and psychic power because of its sometimes unorthodox & "mysterious" behavior. Its mystery is a message to us that we have the power over illusion. Cat animal symbolism reminds us to not fall prey to false beliefs, to not be a fool out of ignorance and derive understanding from our own internal wisdom. The cat beckons us to realize that when we turn within to our own hearts, minds and souls, and trust in ourselves we will always be shown the truth of matters.
Aug 5, 2013 1:32 PM

Mar 2013
He's here! Finally, I've been waiting, the series looked alright so far even without Araragi but without him it was lacking a bit of comedy perverted scenes, with those this anime gets way better although it is already good. Also, Araragi's entrance was just showered him in cool points.
Rak is a Badass
Aug 5, 2013 2:32 PM

Dec 2012
This episode was beyond amazing. So much happened, and all of it was just beautiful. One of the best Monogatari episodes yet.
Aug 5, 2013 2:48 PM

Feb 2008
Araragi made quite an entrance, as always.

I can really appreciate the effort put into this particular episode, all those scenes of Hanekawa travelling, and such. Hanekawa was brilliant, extremely cute (being patted by Araragi) and almost heartbreaking as well (after being rejected).
Aug 5, 2013 3:56 PM

Apr 2011
Once again Shaft succeeds in making me shit my pants. Bravo Shaft.
"Ogon’ po gotovnosti!"
Aug 5, 2013 4:17 PM

Mar 2013
Amazing conclusion, hats off to the writer and the people at Studio Shaft
Aug 5, 2013 4:36 PM

Apr 2010
Araragi is back! That was a great arc, hoping to see more of this AWESOME storytelling and not more of the confusing like Nisemonogatari

"Can you feel that hybrid rainbow?"
Aug 5, 2013 7:18 PM

Apr 2013
Araragi's entrance...man I bloody loved that entrance /10

note** the visuals of this episode, simply loved it.
Aug 5, 2013 7:56 PM

Jan 2013
I would liketo ask people who are following this series closely.
I will not watch any episode untill the whole season is ended becouse I want to watch it whole in one go, so i will rely on your opinion (I am not reading the spoilers ).

Basic on your knowladge or just deducing from how much was shown in 5 episosed so far in comparison to the books - how many episodes in this season you think there will be ?

I dont have an Idea jsut why i wonted your opinion

Thx
Aug 5, 2013 8:00 PM

Jan 2009
Angmir said:
I would liketo ask people who are following this series closely.
I will not watch any episode untill the whole season is ended becouse I want to watch it whole in one go, so i will rely on your opinion (I am not reading the spoilers ).

Basic on your knowladge or just deducing from how much was shown in 5 episosed so far in comparison to the books - how many episodes in this season you think there will be ?

I dont have an Idea jsut why i wonted your opinion

Thx

monogatari second season will be 20+ episodes according to news - http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-01-07/monogatari-2nd-season-to-run-for-year-starting-in-july
Pages (9) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Monogatari Series: Second Season Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 14, 2013

101 by SouthRzVa »»
Apr 16, 7:01 PM

Poll: » Monogatari Series: Second Season Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Amarrez - Dec 28, 2013

723 by Yubisoft »»
Apr 16, 2:04 PM

Poll: » Monogatari Series: Second Season Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 7, 2013

245 by SouthRzVa »»
Apr 12, 3:44 PM

Poll: » Monogatari Series: Second Season Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Aug 31, 2013

204 by SouthRzVa »»
Apr 11, 8:08 PM

Poll: » Monogatari Series: Second Season Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Aug 24, 2013

222 by SouthRzVa »»
Apr 11, 3:24 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.