Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Jul 8, 2013 7:21 PM

Mar 2012
My favourite this season. This is exactly what I've looked forward too! :) I love just about everything.
How they throw us into the tengu/tanuki situation, the MC (obviously I mean who doesn't) and the music (OP kicks ass).
Jul 8, 2013 7:22 PM

Nov 2012
hmm.. not really bad.. but kinda boring.. :/
kinda confuse about the first episode..
but its interesting.. so I will watch it :p
Jul 8, 2013 7:31 PM
Aug 2012
I have no idea what's going on, but that was a really nice OST.
Jul 8, 2013 8:45 PM
Jul 2012
It was soooo boring.
And graphic is poor.
Why is he smoking?
Jul 8, 2013 9:42 PM

Jan 2011
Normally really like P.A works but these last two haven't been to great in my opinion,besides the ost and the scenery this was quite boring to watch
Jul 9, 2013 3:13 AM

Jul 2011
OMG I'm in love with this series, definitely the best first episode this season <3

The art is so cool and hip!!! I love the characters! Especially the MC since he crossdress, smokes, and drinks.

Benten also intriguing, i wonder why did she transform from such an innocent girl into a femme fatale like right now.
Jul 9, 2013 3:54 AM

Jan 2012
This was EPIC!!! >.< AN OP BY MILKTUB IS EVEN MORE AWESOME!!!!!!!
The ending had me guessing; did he transform into the ice lady?
Anyways, i'mma following this, TRANSFORMING INTO A SCHOOLGIRL FTW!!
Jul 9, 2013 4:03 AM

Dec 2012
millo said:
OMG I'm in love with this series, definitely the best first episode this season <3

The art is so cool and hip!!! I love the characters! Especially the MC since he crossdress, smokes, and drinks.

Benten also intriguing, i wonder why did she transform from such an innocent girl into a femme fatale like right now.

Judging from her name, she might be some god proxy or goddess herself. She is entitled to become a bitch, long story short ^_^
Jul 9, 2013 6:13 AM

Jan 2008
Good start. I like the pacing. The ears were kinda weird but I eventually got used to them. This is in in my summer watchlist.
LieilaJul 9, 2013 6:24 AM
Jul 9, 2013 7:08 AM

Apr 2011
This was such a surprise. I had no ida what to expect and i was very impressed!

The art, the backgrounds, the colours, the characters, the subtle movements of every day acts, the story, everything!

Defiantly following this one! :D
Jul 9, 2013 10:22 AM

Jun 2012
I was sure I would be bored to death by the end, but I must admit that it surprised me. I actually got pretty invested and I'll happily see what this show has to offer in the future. Some nice soundtrack, animation style and characters aren't bland and half-assed.
Welcome to club: Anime that Should Continue
http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=37045
Jul 9, 2013 10:26 AM

Jan 2011
Thus far the best of the summer season. Whatever Benten is, I doubt that it is just a human...
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Jul 9, 2013 10:44 AM

Jan 2012
The OST was really nice and I really liked the characters and all the colours. Something about the art style bugged me though. The story looks interesting, I'll definitely be watching this.
Jul 9, 2013 10:51 AM
May 2012
Cool and laid-back first ep, Very relaxing for me. Really looking forward to next week.
Jul 9, 2013 10:55 AM

Apr 2011
rodac said:
Thus far the best of the summer season. Whatever Benten is, I doubt that it is just a human...

I might be completely wrong, but I'm thinking that the "love" between the old man tengu and the tengu(?) women is not romantic. I think it's possible she might be his daughter, and that he possibly had her with a human women.

That's my guess for now. I might notice that doesn't work if I re-watched it for more details. She has to be a tengu in order to fly though, she might also just want to live the life of a human.
Jul 9, 2013 1:12 PM

Mar 2012
kuuurt said:
Putting this one on my "On Hold" list. Seems like it has some potential, but it didn't quite get me yet. I'll probably marathon this once it's finished, or maybe drop it if it gets horrible reviews. 4/5 pilot ep.
What.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Jul 9, 2013 9:38 PM
Oct 2012
Just when I thought that this season was lacking in new series here is a very strong contender for best anime of the summer. All around interesting, the first episode packed more world building and character development than most series do, definitely looking forward to see what happens next.

For those who care "Benten" is one of the seven gods of fortune, also the only one who is a female. Don't know if this character is the goddess or is just named after her, but this will be fun to discover. Wonder when we are going to get ebisu showing up, in that we have an MC who is actually an adult, and can drink, there could be some fun around that.

As for the ears. Not sure if it is only the artist being distinctive, or if it is a play on the Japanese belief that big ear lobes are a sign of good fortune. I would put it off as a coincidence, but there were several references to luck in this episode, so I have a feeling that this is deliberate. Hope so, would love to have a hard core Japanese mythology series, thought RDG would do it, but was disappointed there. This one seems both to have more potential along this line, or if it does not go in that direction, an intriguing plot to carry the series anyways.

http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_Lucky_Gods
Jul 9, 2013 10:28 PM

Apr 2009
Art and the whole feel of the anime wasn't what I was expecting at all. I guess I thought it'd be kind of like Kamchu but Uchouten Kazoku is more silly and perverted (with no actual fanservice so far!). Despite that, I did enjoy this episode. I wonder if this is just a slice-of-life anime or if will have some kind of main plot throughout. Music at the end was nice.

I liked when Yasaburou (holy cow, it looks like everyone in his family has a first name that starts with Y!) was "dubbing" the tengu and Satomi including an ohoho laugh and then you hear her actually do it.

In a town of humans, tengu and tanuki, how the hell is a flying girl who jumps from roof to roof and has ice kisses (I thlnk) a human?

Jul 10, 2013 7:58 AM
Aug 2012
HeavenlyUser said:
MM-Rosiie said:
I like the MC! Except that he smokes and drinks, which I didn't expect.

Beautiful scenery. I'm pretty confused about the story so far, but the first episode looked good so I'll be watching.

What was there to be confused on o.o?

how human can fly
Jul 10, 2013 8:21 AM

Feb 2013
the best 1st episode of this season for me.

The main idea of the story isn't really that interesting, but the way the anime is carried out is really good.

Really looking forward to the character/relationship development.
and I love the OST, especially the last 2 BGM of the ep.

5/5
Jul 10, 2013 2:53 PM

Mar 2012
Moon_River said:
seriously don't get why everyone's obsessed with the ears XD

But really good ep ... hoping for some more back story next ep so I don't feel so lost lol

But dem ears lol

Overall interesting episode, looks like a series i might enjoy. Awesome OP btw.
Jul 10, 2013 3:06 PM
gokigenyou~

May 2013
Well then, that was kind of boring. There were a couple parts that were interesting, but so far this is looking to be quite a bland anime. Hopefully next week something good happens.
6/10 meh

Jul 11, 2013 12:44 AM

Apr 2013
millo said:

Pretty much all I wanted to say. Also <3 the scenery and architecture!
Jul 11, 2013 1:16 AM

Aug 2012
I watched this without knowing much about the synopsis, but this was totally beyond what i expected, probably the best 1st episode of this season for me.

The art was really unique and beautiful, i really love the BG. good character designs, the ears were kinda bugging me at first but after a while i finally got used to it.

looking forward to the next episode!

and still waiting patiently for a 3rd season of Spice & Wolf :'|
Jul 11, 2013 8:39 AM

May 2013
I like the art. But just like everyone else, there's something about those ears!

The OP was nice and so was the ED.

I like how the main character, Yasaburou Shimogamo, is a cross-dressing and transforming tanuki who smokes and drinks.
All the other characters are interesting, too. Especially Satomi Suzuki or Benten, as they call her.

Dat kiss.

I'm pretty interested in watching the rest of the episodes.
I’m always searching for something, for someone. This feeling has possessed me I think, from that day… That day when the stars came falling.
Jul 11, 2013 9:32 AM

Dec 2012
Waffocopter said:

I liked when Yasaburou (holy cow, it looks like everyone in his family has a first name that starts with Y!) was "dubbing" the tengu and Satomi including an ohoho laugh and then you hear her actually do it.

Seems to me the sons' names follow a tradition of designating the order of their birth - from the first to the fourth:

Ya-ichi-rou
Ya-ji-rou
Ya-sabu-rou
Ya-shi-rou

Their father's name is similar -Sou-ichi-rou, meaning the "overall first son", perhaps alluding to also being the heir/head of the clan (which he apparently was, before he was eaten as a tanuki soup).

NB! I don't read Japanese and have no idea of the real kanji combinations.
Jul 11, 2013 11:01 AM

Aug 2012
Really solid artstyle and I love those ears, so cute!

I especially liked how the guy while in girl form was still moving and behaving like a guy and the dialogues were quite fun. Looking forward to more.

bachou said:
HeavenlyUser said:

how human can fly

I'm pretty sure they weren't human , they were tengu.
figuetteJul 11, 2013 11:19 AM
Jul 11, 2013 12:00 PM

Dec 2009
Looks good so far, not amazing though. Maybe it'll get better as it goes on. Some of the characters seem quite interesting, the little brother is a cutie ;w; The ending song is nice.
Jul 11, 2013 12:51 PM

Jan 2013
omg dat kissu >.<
Jul 12, 2013 7:28 AM

May 2013
love suzuki already<3 she is sooo tsundere kawaii sexy

8/10
Jul 12, 2013 8:23 PM
Mar 2012
quite surprised, since i dropped rdg. Perhaps PA Works does better with faster paced stories? To me this has more quality comedy than most other current series.

OSTs with traditional instruments were amazing.
That black blento with gold flower looks takai.

More than the ears, the lack of interior lines keeps distracting me. Eg Sasaburou's dress has folds on the edges, but no fold lines even on closeups. Ears are missing internal lines. In ED, the male Sasaburou has eyebrows merged with hair. It seems the lack-of-lines is their special art style.

Well done BG art. Shijo ohashi, Gion mantou etc I sorta remember from a kyoto trip. I still need to try the mantou though.
Jul 12, 2013 10:08 PM

Sep 2011
can't wait for the next episode...it's like i hav to wait forever

great introduction ep there's so much they can tell abt the characters n past n stuff
breath-taking background i love you PA
and the bgm in the taxi, i reckon the main theme bgm, stole a spot for one of my faved bgm this season

looking forward to next episodes very much

(<•> 血 <•>) kumeta ftw
Jul 13, 2013 5:04 AM

Jul 2011
5/5

I was already thinking to drop it after the first 5 minutes, but thank goodness I watched it until the end and I found it very interesting!
Jul 13, 2013 12:12 PM

Jun 2011
Well since people either did not notice it or did not bother to mention it as far as i can see then i will just say that Satomi Suzuki on top of having the flight power of a Tengu seems to have the freezing power of a Yuki-onna since when she kissed Yasaburou his lips were partly frozen when she broke away from him.

Satomi Suzuki is obviously not a normal human she seems to have multiple Youkai powers
Othinus
Touma
Pairing

http://hestia.dance/
Jul 13, 2013 12:57 PM

Aug 2012
Slicer22 said:
Satomi Suzuki is obviously not a normal human she seems to have multiple Youkai powers

I'm pretty sure she is a tengu, at very least she was being very sarcastic when she said that she is just a mere human.
Jul 14, 2013 12:03 PM
Jun 2013
The MC is cool and the art is nice too. Didn't really think it'd be that exciting but it keeps you interested. Life as a shapeshifting tanuki seems fun, lol.
Jul 14, 2013 3:32 PM

Jul 2009
What's wrong with their ears?! Really it's so weird! oO
Jul 14, 2013 10:52 PM

Oct 2008
I knew something felt right while watching this.
ah~Mamiko's voice
Jul 15, 2013 1:57 PM

Jun 2012
Very interesting series, though it was a little confusing. I felt like the only thing they explained was the existence of the three species.

I can't really say much, maybe because it didn't feel like a lot happened in the first episode. But like I said, it's interesting at least, so we'll see.

I do, though, like the ending OST and the ED.

Jul 16, 2013 11:16 AM

Apr 2011
That was really interesting. Loved it.
Jul 20, 2013 11:02 AM
Jun 2010
haha liking it so far, i cant say i love it since a person cant really "love" an anime after only seeing episode 1, i think it usually takes 2-3 episodes before you can feel if you're hooked on the anime and want to watch it every week while being excited like a little kid waiting for next week or if you just dont like it, for me it was interesting so far though, the characters are cool, the main character is a beast, you get a guy and a sexy girl :3 and atleast its not just him crossdressing but actually transforming into a girl so i feel a bit better finding the character cute :3 also that kiss upupupupupu
Jul 20, 2013 4:05 PM

Apr 2013
Traps! Traps! everywhere! traps! and the ears..cheap animation? hm
Jul 22, 2013 6:57 AM

Oct 2012
Finally got around to watching this and I have to say, I'm really liking it so far.
The OP was really fun and that OST at the end was quite nice. Not sure about the plot yet though but I enjoyed this episode a lot.
Aug 2, 2013 4:36 PM

Apr 2012
Pretty interesting first episode, and the art is definitely pleasing to look at. Except for the ears... they've been bugging the hell out of me all episode long XD

That set aside, what a kiss! Definitely curious to find out what the deal is with that "Benten" lady.
Aug 5, 2013 6:31 AM
Dec 2011
NICE TRAP TO TAP.
Aug 7, 2013 11:07 AM

Dec 2012
I really liked this episode~ the show seems very interesting.. I'm glad I finally decided to give it a go
Aug 8, 2013 6:59 AM

Jun 2008
tingy said:
What a fun and interesting first episode. Wasn't expecting the schoolgirl to be actually male though, but his reason for transforming into a girl is pretty nice. His little brother is really cute too. For some reason, everyone is afraid of Benten? Is she a human or not, because she says she is human yet she can fly like a tengu? As well as when she kissed Yasaburou, she left ice on his lips. o_o

Maybe she's a human that can copy abilities and that's why everyone is scared of her?
Aug 11, 2013 11:08 AM

Aug 2010
The opening reminded me of Tatami Galaxy's OP, I wonder if it had an influence on it.

I like the MC, talks back, drinks and smokes, a breath of fresh air. Not to mention he is voiced by Sakurai Takahiro. My favorite character has to be Suzuki Satomi though. Looks promising, will keep watching. 5/5.

Ps: Now that I have realized that the character design is courtesy of Kumeta Kouji, I understand why I felt that the MC resembled Fuura Kafuka.
Mogami-kunAug 11, 2013 11:12 AM
Aug 15, 2013 3:21 PM

Mar 2012
Why did I put off watching this for so long? That was a great first episode. I'm already drawn in by the characters and the world. I'm definitely picking this one up. It's quirky, colorful, and unique all while feeling calm and genuine.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Uchouten Kazoku Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 15, 2013

83 by blinddig »»
Mar 8, 1:54 AM

Poll: » Do you think the series will get a s3?

Vamp_Lord - Oct 28, 2023

4 by InNeedOfAName »»
Oct 30, 2023 6:30 AM

Poll: » Uchouten Kazoku Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 4, 2013

95 by i-loathe-sasuke »»
Sep 10, 2023 6:26 AM

Poll: » Uchouten Kazoku Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 28, 2013

104 by i-loathe-sasuke »»
Sep 10, 2023 5:25 AM

Poll: » Uchouten Kazoku Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 21, 2013

105 by i-loathe-sasuke »»
Sep 9, 2023 4:27 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.