Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

Danganronpa: Kibou no Gakuen to Zetsubou no Koukousei - The Animation Episode 1 Discussion

New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (12) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »
Jul 5, 2013 2:59 PM

Jun 2010
Not that fond of the first episode & I am not familiar with the game, either.
Jul 5, 2013 3:05 PM

Aug 2011
I had high expectations for this show but I thought this episode was disappointing. I guess the main reason would be that none of the characters seem appealing to me at this point. and some of the original art's charm has been lost in the adaptation. Monobear doesn't strike me as creepy nor does it stir my interest in to why such a thing is the principle. However, loved the environments and backgrounds. Very vivid colours always grabs my attention.

Didn't really understand the AV room scene. If the student's family was injured or killed then I didn't feel there was enough evidence to suggest that, just damaged furniture on the screen, so I didn't fully believe their panic. Fair enough, maybe the school is able to threaten the students' families so that raises alarms but the drama felt very forced and rushed.

Not sure if that was the OP in the middle of the ep but I wasn't a fan of that, you can do much better than just showing still characters on the screen with this crazy hyper-stylised material. Loved the ED song, very funky to round off the ep. Hopefully the visuals for both, and the show itself, will improve.
Jul 5, 2013 3:15 PM

Mar 2012
Why are all of the characters in cosplay? Why is the bear so obnoxious?
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Jul 5, 2013 3:32 PM

Aug 2008
Another new series and another weak first episode. Only the setting is making me want to check the next episode. Characters, character design, voices, introduction, none of these is in any way interesting. I guess it might work out if you just watch it for kids killing each other.
Ii tenki desu ne...
Jul 5, 2013 3:40 PM

Mar 2012
Antanaru said:
Another new series and another weak first episode. Only the setting is making me want to check the next episode. Characters, character design, voices, introduction, none of these is in any way interesting. I guess it might work out if you just watch it for kids killing each other.
My thoughts exactly, lol.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Jul 5, 2013 3:42 PM
Jul 2012
MrOCD said:
Hold on, this is the same director of the Devil Survivor 2 game-to-anime adaption, right? Oh boy.
IIRC, he also did Angel Beats! and Persona 4 and as well as Jinrui, some of the anime I liked to a certain extent.
It seems he is just better off just doing direct adaptions without messing around with the plot, like as to what happened to Devil Survivor 2.

To be fair about the DS2 adaption(even with how unfaithful it was), it was still well directed, it's the writers fault it was bad.
the director(dont remember his name) also did the P4 adaption, which i thought was done really well.
so in essence, if an adaption doesnt go well, it's the writers fault, not the director, since what the director does is direct how the actual animation side of things go down(the the actual animation quality of DS2 was really good, just not the story)

But anyway, i dont know the game that well,seeing as i havent played it, nor have i read the manga, but i think it's going well so far(i badly want a localized version of the game though). if it diverges later on someone should tell me.

It's also apparently based off the official manga(there's some doujinshi adaptions of it as well), and that is apparently quite good and very faithful(dont hold my word to it though)
DetrimontJul 5, 2013 3:46 PM
Jul 5, 2013 3:43 PM
Feb 2012
Antanaru said:
I guess it might work out if you just watch it for kids killing each other.

Not even close. The games are huge in Japan, and hint, hint, the murders are not why. The game is an Ace Attorney competitor.
Jul 5, 2013 3:59 PM

Jul 2009
do any of the girls become sloots and sleep with the guys
or is this not a seinen
Jul 5, 2013 4:00 PM

Sep 2010
Sorry guys, but OMG this is horrible, face design is akward, not really bad looking but weird but the voice casting is nerve wrecking, just plain horrible with very few exceptions, dont know who is worse, bear or our useless mc...

I checked it for the interesting premise but i was already reluctant after watching the cover image...

I might try the second episode though...
I don't expect justice. I expect revenge, even if it solves nothing in the end.
I don't expect redemption. I expect decadence and self destruction.
I don't expect compassion. I expect selfishness.
I don't expect people making choices. I expect a cruel fate forced upon them.
Jul 5, 2013 4:10 PM

Jan 2013
I haven't seen the LP, played the game, read the manga, etc., but so far, this seems like a decent introduction to the series. Some friends of mine agreed on this one.

I don't really know if I like Monobear as a villain, though.
Jul 5, 2013 4:11 PM

Nov 2012
am i the only one who thinks this was bad. All the characters are so generic in terms of personality. This episode was so predictable too. The main character also just so generic.
Im dropping this, maybe ill pick it up again if i here good things about it later.
Jul 5, 2013 4:13 PM

Aug 2011
I don't like this, hate the killing each other thing.

...... ugh.

Also spoiled the ending for myself.
Jul 5, 2013 4:22 PM
Feb 2012
Djisas said:
Sorry guys, but OMG this is horrible, face design is akward, not really bad looking but weird but the voice casting is nerve wrecking, just plain horrible with very few exceptions, dont know who is worse, bear or our useless mc...

I checked it for the interesting premise but i was already reluctant after watching the cover image...

I might try the second episode though...

Did you just call Doraemon's voice actress horrible?

I'm sorry, but your anime license has been revoked.
Jul 5, 2013 4:25 PM

Apr 2012
I read the LP for this and loved the story and characters. However, I found myself not really enjoying this episode. The animation is mediocre, and somehow the character interactions and poses just seemed a bit awkward, even though they felt very natural in the game.
Jul 5, 2013 4:28 PM

Feb 2012
OMG did I just watched SAW in anime format?

They even got the people count at the end, prepare the body bags, children gonna die yo.

I only hope they play it right, after this episode, I really have high hopes for this show.
Jul 5, 2013 4:38 PM

Dec 2011
Oh God. This is the kind of anime I was waiting for... full of despair!!! So far, I love Junko and the goth loli Celestia. Can't wait to see when they do try and kill each other. I shouldn't get attached to the characters much since they might die!!! No.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 5, 2013 4:56 PM

Sep 2011
Kurogashi said:
do any of the girls become sloots and sleep with the guys
or is this not a seinen
Yah 1 of the girls is a total slut, naegi start whoring herself out to all the men and creates a huge love decagon

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jul 5, 2013 5:12 PM

Jul 2012
Interesting. 4/5, would have been a 5 if someone got murdered...

Liking the cast a lot so far. Very mysterious characters.
Jul 5, 2013 5:26 PM

Apr 2009
some araters are fuking annoying but i am enjoying it !! just like te game :))
Jul 5, 2013 5:27 PM

Feb 2012
Ugh, the character designs and Ogata Megumi's voice (I hate it) really throw me off. I'm actually surprised that I watched the whole episode, gonna give it another before I decide what Im going to do.
Jul 5, 2013 5:34 PM

Apr 2013
I hate the character design/art tho.. really annoyed me.

20$ that Maizono is a sloot and will betray the MC
Jul 5, 2013 5:35 PM

Jul 2011
looks interesting
Jul 5, 2013 5:46 PM

Feb 2013
Looks more promising than I had expected. I can't stop laughing at Monokuma's voice though. Awesome.
"Hey! I'm totally an adult! I bitch and whine, lie through my teeth, and do things that are unfair."
Jul 5, 2013 5:54 PM

Feb 2013
There's a lot more to the characters then the stereotypes they first appear to be. (As long as this turns out to be a decent adaption at any rate.)

I'm a bit sad they had to rush through everything, but thirteen episodes is imo not enough time to successfully cover this game. Well, I hope they do a good job and prove me wrong.
Jul 5, 2013 5:55 PM

Jun 2012
I can honestly say that I wasn't very happy with it so far. Don't get me wrong, I loved the game a lot.
But, what the heck was this? The animation was so weird and low budget looking, I felt the game was so much more serious while in this....it almost seems like this could be in Nickelodeon because the jokes come off as so unironically cheesy.
I still can't get over how ugly the animation is, even compared to other anime this serious- it's just really...bad.
Jul 5, 2013 5:56 PM

Aug 2009
I'm interested. The show has a variety of colorful stereotypes , but each of them has a likable personality. Despite the rushed introduction I can still easily adapt to the characters, and I actually want to know more about them. The design is crisp and over the top and anime with creative and distinctive style always capture my attention. I might have already spoiled myself a little, but I'll try to avoid spoilers from now on.
mikadocsJul 5, 2013 6:05 PM
Jul 5, 2013 5:57 PM

Jun 2012
mewtwo21 said:
am i the only one who thinks this was bad. All the characters are so generic in terms of personality. This episode was so predictable too. The main character also just so generic.
Im dropping this, maybe ill pick it up again if i here good things about it later.

Yeah that's another problem. These characters are supposed to be more serious about their skill/trade and all of it just comes off so cheesily/plainly.
Jul 5, 2013 6:05 PM
Feb 2012
abstrxct said:
I can honestly say that I wasn't very happy with it so far. Don't get me wrong, I loved the game a lot.
But, what the heck was this? The animation was so weird and low budget looking, I felt the game was so much more serious while in this....it almost seems like this could be in Nickelodeon because the jokes come off as so unironically cheesy.
I still can't get over how ugly the animation is, even compared to other anime this serious- it's just really...bad.

Uh... The game was never very serious. It had some serious elements, but it still had plenty of lighthearted and dark humor sprinkled in there as well. And the beginning before anyone dies is especially lighthearted.

I really don't think you know the game as well as you think you do.
Jul 5, 2013 6:08 PM
Jun 2011
I paused the video after hearing that voice and had to check- DORAEMON'S VA!
Jul 5, 2013 6:12 PM
Jan 2013
HiddenDoorway said:
abstrxct said:

Uh... The game was never very serious. It had some serious elements, but it still had plenty of lighthearted and dark humor sprinkled in there as well. And the beginning before anyone dies is especially lighthearted.

I really don't think you know the game as well as you think you do.
If you played a game yourself... you should know it is actually very... very suspenseful as well as being serious.
Jul 5, 2013 6:27 PM

Nov 2012
Didn't like the character designs & hated the bear's voice.I'll give this 1 more episode before I decide to drop.
Jul 5, 2013 6:28 PM

Apr 2010
Holy shit, Monokuma looks like Buster-kun hahahahaha... Anyway the 1st episode was really great, hope that the anime doesn't end up sucking

"Can you feel that hybrid rainbow?"
Jul 5, 2013 6:42 PM

Mar 2012
i still haven't watched because i don't know whose subs to go with. which group is more in line with the sa letsplay in terms of title translations, names, etc...?
Jul 5, 2013 6:47 PM

Mar 2013
Not bad MC seems like your sterotypical pussy a lot of the characters look interesting.

plot kinda meh about.
Jul 5, 2013 6:55 PM

Jan 2011
seems like a lot of people were excited for this

I for one liked it haven't played the games(would like to) Far to early to judge right now it looks like it could be really good or end up like other series which other have already sated

Just curious to what makes this big seller it can't simply be about kids just killing each other so i can't wait till we get to the thick of it with that said this is only 13 episode i can't imagine a huge amount of depth with this time frame.

as for the characters hella stereotypical but you could tell that they were aiming for that not to mention most of them look pretty silly so wondering how serious this is gonna get.
Jul 5, 2013 7:08 PM
Feb 2012
facade63 said:
Not bad MC seems like your sterotypical pussy

Not even close. Naegi is actually a really good main character. He isn't weak willed and the type who bursts into tears any time something bad happens. But he also isn't unbelievably badass, either.
Jul 5, 2013 7:11 PM

Apr 2010
The story has a lot of twists, but at this point I don't know if the anime will deliver. There are 2 very important things that were skipped in EP1, and I really don't understand why they've skipped them. It's dumb.
Jul 5, 2013 7:19 PM
Feb 2012
Solkiskey said:
The story has a lot of twists, but at this point I don't know if the anime will deliver. There are 2 very important things that were skipped in EP1, and I really don't understand why they've skipped them. It's dumb.

Not really. I'm pretty sure I know the two things you are talking about, and I would hardly call them 'important'. One of them can be explained at the beginning of the next episode, and the other thing wasn't skipped, just done slightly differently, and can easily be worked into the story with no complications.
Jul 5, 2013 7:20 PM

Mar 2013
HiddenDoorway said:
facade63 said:

Not even close. Naegi is actually a really good main character. He isn't weak willed and the type who bursts into tears any time something bad happens. But he also isn't unbelievably badass, either.

Good to know.
Jul 5, 2013 7:38 PM

Sep 2011
facade63 said:
HiddenDoorway said:
facade63 said:

Good to know.
As facade says, but hes kind of a idiot in the first chapter, youl see he gets better after the first trial. hes way better than Dr2's MC hinata who just spends most of the game bitching

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jul 5, 2013 7:39 PM

Aug 2012
Interesting first episode, can't wait to see the next one and to see who dies first
Jul 5, 2013 7:43 PM

Jun 2013
Thritraius said:
OH man i just feel so happy. Togami literally gives no shits.

It will probably take about 30 min to an hour at least to sub i think.

dude, you make me so happy right now. he's just like no sweat it won't happen cause of... I'M ME BITCHES >.>

that aside i was really happy with the first episode. just sad the sub took so long. *torture* maybe it was monokuma o.O
"A heart is a heavy burden." - Howl's Moving Castle.
Jul 5, 2013 7:44 PM
Jul 2013
I watched the first episode with my sister today. I've read the LP, while my sister came into it without being acquainted with the series much.

I enjoyed it quite a bit, and so did my sister, but both of us felt it was kinda rushed. I guess the prologue went through quickly so as to leave more time for the other parts, so I can sorta understand it. I myself hoped for a bit more character development for Maizono, though it may be possible they're leaving it for next episode.

All in all, though, I'm enjoying it so far, and I'll continue watching u v u I'm rather excited to see how the investigations, trials, and other executions play out, especially since we haven't seen them yet.

Plus, now my sister's planning on playing the game ♥
Jul 5, 2013 7:45 PM
Aug 2012
Interesting concept, but it looks like it going to be executed badly...
Jul 5, 2013 7:51 PM

Jul 2012
I'm pretty excited about this one. Like it so far.
I loooove the music. WANT NOW D:

Jul 5, 2013 7:54 PM

Jun 2013
taynis said:

the music is awesome, isn't it? :D
i totally loved that little monokuma comic in the beginning XD
"A heart is a heavy burden." - Howl's Moving Castle.
Jul 5, 2013 8:00 PM

May 2012
Yo this shit is epic. Like the whole plot. If you want to leave school you have to kill some one. Damn I thought my school was bitch. The girls in this are hot like Aoi, Kyouko, and Junko. My favorite is Celestia. She look good and she look like she would be the first to kill someone. Lord I hope not. I'm off topic the first episode was good can't wait to see the rest.
Jul 5, 2013 8:31 PM
Jul 2012
This was actually really good, first modern anime in forever that doesn't throw away it's interesting premise. Very stylish, characters' dialogues actually give them quite a bit of personality, doesn't make the survival killing game genre seem stale

However, I think the ending was pretty stupid. So they saw a video of their family that quickly switches for a picture of their home in shambles, and then they suddenly get the urge of wanting to get out. Even if it's true, why would that make them want to get out, they won't have anything to go back for

Unless the videos really were different for everyone, but I don't get how that would give the "main character" a "motive" to get out. If someone could just point out how this aspect still actually makes sense and won't turn the story about characters behaving in a very irrational way killing each other, that would be very appreciated. That's a question that normally shouldn't need slight spoilers to answer.
Jul 5, 2013 8:44 PM
Feb 2012
Tarextherex said:
However, I think the ending was pretty stupid. So they saw a video of their family that quickly switches for a picture of their home in shambles, and then they suddenly get the urge of wanting to get out. Even if it's true, why would that make them want to get out, they won't have anything to go back for

Unless the videos really were different for everyone, but I don't get how that would give the "main character" a "motive" to get out. If someone could just point out how this aspect still actually makes sense and won't turn the story about characters behaving in a very irrational way killing each other, that would be very appreciated. That's a question that normally shouldn't need slight spoilers to answer.

Well it's not the only motive, just the first one and yeah everyone's video's were different. I guess they would wanna get out is to want to know if the video was fake or not, and there's only actually one character that wants to kill to find out, which you will see when the first trial ends.
Jul 5, 2013 8:48 PM

Sep 2011
fearthefuz said:
taynis said:

the music is awesome, isn't it? :D
i totally loved that little monokuma comic in the beginning XD
indeed it is, and you can actually listen to the ost since its all from the game,though be warned it very easy to spoil both this game and next doing so

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Pages (12) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Danganronpa: Kibou no Gakuen to Zetsubou no Koukousei - The Animation Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 26, 2013

435 by Ricky16 »»
Apr 27, 11:40 AM

» how should i watch Danganronpa ?

TheAdo - Dec 29, 2016

19 by InstantRamenKing »»
Feb 9, 10:20 PM

» whats up with Kyoko Kirigiri hands?

EagleEd - Jan 13, 2018

5 by kaamsas »»
Jan 13, 7:04 AM

Poll: » Danganronpa: Kibou no Gakuen to Zetsubou no Koukousei - The Animation Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 5, 2013

148 by berlinza6as »»
Jan 7, 2:07 AM

Poll: » Danganronpa: Kibou no Gakuen to Zetsubou no Koukousei - The Animation Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 19, 2013

263 by Gator »»
Sep 13, 2023 8:34 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.