Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 »
Jun 25, 2013 7:38 AM

Jan 2010
Darklight0303 said:
AoiMizu said:
Well, next episode is last aired episode of Suisei no Gargantia on TV, but MAL just update this!!
xD....Suisei no Gargantia Special
Unaired episode 14, released with the first volume BD/DVD.

It's an AU. As in no relation to the main series

I know, just..man I can't let this series go end so fast like this.
It should be 20ep at least, since there are some flaw here and there in this series

Jun 25, 2013 8:00 AM

Dec 2012
the scene where they were just dropping those humans into the ocean gave me goosebumps. it was also quite creepy how kugel was... rotting when his helmet opened and his head just fell off o_o i guess most of us already expected him to be dead, but it's still a bit different to be sure then.

i also loved it when they're shooting at the sky and the sky opened up (happened a couple of times):

i realized a while ago that this show's getting darker and darker, literally. of course it makes sense regarding the atmosphere. and it may be cheesy, but i hope we'll see a sunny and colorful gargantia in the last episode (shh, i'm in love with this colorful setting).
a few episodes ago i already accepted the fact that this won't become an epic mecha anime and i'm sure the last episode won't make a big difference, but i'm okay with it /shrugging

edit:
Darklight0303 said:
AoiMizu said:
Well, next episode is last aired episode of Suisei no Gargantia on TV, but MAL just update this!!
stupid question alert, but how do you know that this won't have anything to do with the main series? am i overlooking something? /feeling stupid
HaibaraJun 25, 2013 8:04 AM
Jun 25, 2013 8:06 AM

Sep 2011
MasterMeNL said:
Best episode so far, but why do the good parts come so late? Q_Q
Feels like the first ~9 episodes (before he found out the truth) were just introduction...
GodlyKyon said:
Next episode will make or break this series

This. (Or second season which might just be the case.)

I don't see how... The sales are heading towards to the lower direction, and the story seems kind of conclusive, hell, even the ultimate-end-trump-card-savior plot device is going to be used, unless they pull the entire galactic alliance nto this thing

Any how, I like how Chamber made the right decision
"Justice Never Dies!" - Kenji Endou, 20th century Boys
Jun 25, 2013 8:38 AM

Jul 2007
hiabara said:
Darklight0303 said:
AoiMizu said:
stupid question alert, but how do you know that this won't have anything to do with the main series? am i overlooking something? /feeling stupid

AU = alternate universe = different timeline = NOTHING. TO. DO. WITH. MAIN. SERIES.
Jun 25, 2013 8:51 AM

Dec 2012
Fai said:
hiabara said:
Darklight0303 said:
AoiMizu said:

AU = alternate universe = different timeline = NOTHING. TO. DO. WITH. MAIN. SERIES.
i know what au means. but on the mal site it just says that it's a sequel and that it's the unaired episode 14, so i'm wondering how people know it'll be an au instead of a typical ova.
Jun 25, 2013 8:59 AM

Sep 2011
ThangLong said:
hpulley said:
Just bad pacing, they wasted some time in the middle episodes after a good start and are now rushing to a predictable end. I don't know why this one has left me with a bad taste. The first few episodes had me SO pumped! I was so excited for this anime and the way to the ending is just leaving me rather underwhelmed.

It should have 24 episodes with a spread out middle like this. Although I don't mind the slice of life aspect of it, I agree that the pacing is off. They should have either reduced the slice of life moments, or increase the series' length. Usually, 13 episode-run is better suited for an eventful or action-packed series.

One thing I just noticed is that this anime is very similar to Man Of Steel movie not only on the directing position (both Chris Nolan and Gen Urobuchi are cooperating with another director on the projects, but not hand-on directing them) but also on the overall arching plot. In each of these cases, we see agents from a vastly superior civilization trying to impose their way of life on Earth only to be faced with Earth's heroes from their own kin.

AoiMizu said:
Remember this???

It has always been there, in front of our eyes the whole time. :)

LOL, thats basically what I said early on, the pacing of both series are also off, the slice of life in this is too much, though it was mportant to Ledo's development, it still took up too much time
Jun 25, 2013 9:01 AM
Oct 2012
ThangLong said:
hpulley said:
Just bad pacing, they wasted some time in the middle episodes after a good start and are now rushing to a predictable end. I don't know why this one has left me with a bad taste. The first few episodes had me SO pumped! I was so excited for this anime and the way to the ending is just leaving me rather underwhelmed.

It should have 24 episodes with a spread out middle like this. Although I don't mind the slice of life aspect of it, I agree that the pacing is off. They should have either reduced the slice of life moments, or increase the series' length. Usually, 13 episode-run is better suited for an eventful or action-packed series.

The middle episodes weren't wasted, nor did this show need to be longer to have a slice of life episodes, the could have kept everything the same and had a much better show had their been better writing.

There was just so much wasted dialog within episodes, so many ideas brought up that were never developed, or were then immediately dropped (or even contradicted), focus on irrelevant characters (pinion in particularly, they could have covered him as a character in half the time). The pacing issues are not because the middle episodes lacked "action" or because they are "rushing" things right now, but because the series from 3 to 12 has been a mash of poor writing coupled with bad direction. This is why people think the pacing is screwed up, even though from an objective standpoint this show has moved fairly briskly.

A competent writer could have taken the EXACT same scenes and with just tightening the plot, removing the self created contradictions, and rearranging some scenes, could have turned this into a very good show. The reason the sales figures are dropping and so many people are expressing disappointment is for this reason.
Takuan_SohoJun 25, 2013 9:17 AM
Jun 25, 2013 9:15 AM
Jun 2013
I LOVE it so far although the build up for the past few episodes did take forever.. i cant believe its ending so fast, i tried to find the manga but i could only find the first chapter, anybody know where i an find it?
Jun 25, 2013 9:35 AM

Jul 2007
GodlyKyon said:
ThangLong said:
hpulley said:

One thing I just noticed is that this anime is very similar to Man Of Steel movie not only on the directing position (both Chris Nolan and Gen Urobuchi are cooperating with another director on the projects, but not hand-on directing them) but also on the overall arching plot. In each of these cases, we see agents from a vastly superior civilization trying to impose their way of life on Earth only to be faced with Earth's heroes from their own kin.

AoiMizu said:
Remember this???

LOL, thats basically what I said early on, the pacing of both series are also off, the slice of life in this is too much, though it was mportant to Ledo's development, it still took up too much time

You DO realize that the said "character development" IS the main focus of ANY good story EVER created. "plot" is just a sugarcoating tool to feed us that development. So you are basically saying that too much MAIN elements of narrative?
Jun 25, 2013 12:15 PM

Nov 2011
5/5

The design is not very good, but the story though predictable fails to intrigue me! I hope he recovers with the ending, leaving us with a nice twist, the big ones though!
Jun 25, 2013 1:13 PM
May 2013
Well I was hoped for Kugel to be in coma at least, but I guess Uro butchers Kugel to definetly cut chains between Ledo and GA and finished this series. The only things that remains it, would be Striker and Chamber which probaly will be destroy (poor Chamber, I don`t think he may have happy end). But then Ledo and Amy will have a baby and name it Chamber... bwahahahah XD.
Jun 25, 2013 1:57 PM
Jan 2012
Colascka said:
Well I was hoped for Kugel to be in coma at least, but I guess Uro butchers Kugel to definetly cut chains between Ledo and GA and finished this series. The only things that remains it, would be Striker and Chamber which probaly will be destroy (poor Chamber, I don`t think he may have happy end). But then Ledo and Amy will have a baby and name it Chamber... bwahahahah XD.

How can he be in a coma? his body dried up and his head fell of. Dont se how he cant be in a coma :c
Jun 25, 2013 2:00 PM

Oct 2012
You were right last week, they really went the way where lieutenant was dead in cockpit. Nothing surprising thought. On the other hand cult actions were pretty deranged with that mass sacrifice. Now I just want to know how Stryker systems gained self-consciousness - Hideauze influence? (because you know, this mischievous AI ruling humans is rather over the top otherwise)

And that battle between Chamber and Stryker was awesome!

I just hope they would give us some satifying end not only for Gargantia but for Hideuze too. Mutual beneficial coexistence perhaps?
Jun 25, 2013 2:07 PM
Nov 2010
Wth.... well that was a good plot twist I guess. xD I loved seeing all the characters banding together at the end to help, though I was expecting to see Pinion suddenly get disintegrated by the Stryker for trying to hit it.

The ending looks to be good. Can't wait for the next episode!
Jun 25, 2013 2:13 PM

Sep 2011
Fai said:
GodlyKyon said:
ThangLong said:
hpulley said:

AoiMizu said:
Remember this???

You DO realize that the said "character development" IS the main focus of ANY good story EVER created. "plot" is just a sugarcoating tool to feed us that development. So you are basically saying that too much MAIN elements of narrative?

No, do not put words in my mouth. I have no idea whether what you were asserting is true, but the pacing of the slice of life episodes took up too much time to have this ending to be satisfying is what I mean.
Jun 25, 2013 2:20 PM

May 2009
Fai said:
hiabara said:
Darklight0303 said:
AoiMizu said:

From where are you pulling that AU from? OVA 1 was announced long time ago to feature younger Ridget and some nurse voiced by Yui Horie.
Jun 25, 2013 2:52 PM

Sep 2011
it might have been more interesting if Kugel wasn't dead and that Ledo was actually going against his superior officer. Anyhow, Ledo is a great character, even though his developments was kind of drawn out
Jun 25, 2013 2:53 PM
Nov 2010
Fai said:
Takuan_Soho said:
Fai said:
JoaoZangetsu said:
You don't make sense, All the episodes so far have developments, this one was most action (which is obvious that would be action).
Or do you call development the Visual Key type of development ? (characters with sad past just to be enjoyable)

Don't you know - in MAL, development = LASER PEW PEW BOOM, while character development and growth = filler :P

Actual a laser would have been more subtle than this show has been.

At least make the cult somewhat rational, give Ledo an actual choice to show his "development". The Alliance at least had the Hideauze threat to justify its actions, this cult had nothing. Ledo's choice once again was too simple, hell even Hitler could have made the right choice here. Saying that Ledo "developed" is like saying that a kid who picked an ice cream sundae over sand is "wise".

You are going off on assumption that Alliance's crusade is more rational and justified, except we don't know that. Every example provided seems to point to the same "Human be superior" utalitarian kind of thinking being the cause of it.

Cult is as rational as Alliance was. For Ledo its nothing different than the world he lived in (throwing humans into sea, throwing them into space, etc)

Mind you Ledo MADE his choice when he still thought its Kugel himself. And this choice would be impossible without the character growth and development he went through in an entire show. By such a simple trail of thought, we can already see that there WAS character growth, simply because Ledo from the start of the show, would NOT make those decisions.

Calling this show simple just proves it went over your head.

I would definitely think people are kind of losing perspective and enjoyment of the anime if they don't stick with the original premise of the alien adapting to a foreign world and learning their own identity and individuality. Things like him earning his first job, spending his first wages, and eating can't really be considered filler or irrelevant in that context. And his decision this episode to go against the Colonel definitely wouldn't have happened if he was the same character from episode 1.

If you're gonna try to fit this show as an action show, than just watch episode 1. That's the most action you'll get. xD I found that somewhat misleading but adapted and realize this show is more like a Castaway type of show, focusing on the main character being stranded and develop as a character.
Jun 25, 2013 3:24 PM

Sep 2012
The thing is, I love slice of life anime! I really do. I love anime where nothing of consequence ever happens. I can enjoy every episode of an anime like that if it is fun and entertaining. But if it is like that for a few episodes and then gets serious for a few and then rushes through the end then, no matter what anime it is, I'm going to say the pacing is wrong.

I am just saying that the pacing was off, was all over the place, wasn't consistent, it spent time doing nothing, not developing anything, in an anime that couldn't afford it. In 26 episodes, sure go ahead but even then, be consistent!

I know, they wanted to show a whole episode for the commander's death to show the opposites: the old GA's death chamber sending Ledo's brother off and Striker's cult's hooded old and sick being dumped into the sea. Yeah, WE GET IT. Gargantia good; Galactic Alliance bad, Bad, BAD. You don't have to bury me with sand handful by handful for a whole episode to convince me that it's a nice ceremony. And then to basically ignore that character for the rest of the show until the last episode when she gets to use the key in the Chekhov's gun sticking out of the deck...

Bebel has just been another plot device to show that Gargantia is good and Alliance is bad.

Melty was just busty eye candy until she had to glide around the world to be saved at the last second by Amy.

Just a shame as I saw so much potential and feel it was wasted. That's all. I'm glad most of the rest of you are enjoying it. I will watch the last episode of course and I suspect I will enjoy it but the show likely won't be the memorable for me unless we get a really good unexpected twist which the script writer of the last episode is known for... we'll see if he can pull it off.
Jun 25, 2013 4:19 PM
Oct 2012
hpulley said:
I'm glad most of the rest of you are enjoying it.

If the declining sales forecasts are any guide, more people agree with you than not.

As you pointed out the problem with this show too date is that it is simplistic: white hats and black hats.

If looking at "pretty girls" and personally "meeting outcasts" was all that was needed to turn a Nazi into an upstanding moral citizen, humanity would have achieved Nirvana 3,500 years ago. Kugel not being able to accept that the war for him is over would have been an interesting story, Ledo seeing the end result of Kugel's fanaticism and learning from it would have been interesting, but we were denied even that, the show just made the black hats even blacker.

The ironic thing is that the Cult doesn't "prove" anything about the Alliance. Was the cult a metaphor of the Alliance, or the result of a "rogue AI"? We can't assume that the AI's control the Alliance because Chamber still follows Ledo's lead, so Kugel being dead undermines the argument that the Cult says anything about the Alliance. Stryker isn't the Alliance, Stryker isn't even the Alliance gone wild because the Alliance hasn't put the AI's in control (as Ledo shows). Once again we don't know anything.

Of course we can just assume that the two are equal, or we can assume that the Hideauze are really peaceful or that the Alliance has not justification, but those assumptions destroy any meaning. No person thinks they are choosing evil when they do evil, they rationalize their behavior. By making the Cult and the Alliance so transparently evil and Gargantia was transparently good, it completely undermines that "development" those "slice of life" episodes were supposed to be showing.
Jun 25, 2013 4:54 PM

Jul 2007
yngtadpole said:
I found that somewhat misleading but adapted and realize this show is more like a Castaway type of show, focusing on the main character being stranded and develop as a character.

This is VERY accurate.

This is basically if characters of Robinson Crusoe (or Odyssey due to the whole "stranded soldier" theme and how his character changes, making him see his nation's true faces as he returns) were stuck in Hyperion novels.

hpulley said:
The thing is, I love slice of life anime! I really do. I love anime where nothing of consequence ever happens. I can enjoy every episode of an anime like that if it is fun and entertaining. But if it is like that for a few episodes and then gets serious for a few and then rushes through the end then, no matter what anime it is, I'm going to say the pacing is wrong.

Apparantly you think that "slice of life" can't be serious? lol.

hpulley said:

I am just saying that the pacing was off, was all over the place, wasn't consistent, it spent time doing nothing, not developing anything, in an anime that couldn't afford it. In 26 episodes, sure go ahead but even then, be consistent!

If by nothing you mean developing characters and building up the setting - then sure, NOTHING, totally nothing. This has been character-driven series first and foremost. Pew pews and twist are in background - Ledo's reactions and experiences in a strange alien land - in foreground.

hpulley said:

I know, they wanted to show a whole episode for the commander's death to show the opposites: the old GA's death chamber sending Ledo's brother off and Striker's cult's hooded old and sick being dumped into the sea. Yeah, WE GET IT. Gargantia good; Galactic Alliance bad, Bad, BAD. You don't have to bury me with sand handful by handful for a whole episode to convince me that it's a nice ceremony.

Except that Commander's death's episode also:

1) developed Pinion's character and showcased his motivations.
2) established political backdrop important for next episodes.
3) gave character growth to Ridgett.
4) gave us a detailed and a well thought out lore backdrop on how the funerals are handled. Not even one big was unneeded and had enough symbolism to make sense to their civilization.

hpulley said:

And then to basically ignore that character for the rest of the show until the last episode when she gets to use the key in the Chekhov's gun sticking out of the deck...

Except her current position would have no motivation, nor context, without the said character development.

hpulley said:

Bebel has just been another plot device to show that Gargantia is good and Alliance is bad.

Really?

So he was NOT:
1) the center-piece of Ledo's character growth.
2) the showcase of Amy's character motivations.
3) the exposition of Gargantia's culture and ethics.
4) the establishment of Bebel's own character.
5) the exposition of the show's wider lore.
?
Answer is: yes he was.

hpulley said:

Melty was just busty eye candy until she had to glide around the world to be saved at the last second by Amy.

Except that:
1) her determination would be context-less if we did not have her relationship and friendship with Amy established.
2) her trust in Ledo and their interactions would also have no context if we did not have them interact before.
3) we would not be worried about her MAKING it to Gargantia, if we did not grow to like her during the period when her character was established.

hpulley said:

Just a shame as I saw so much potential and feel it was wasted. That's all.

No you most likely expected another Gundam. Sadly for you wat Urobutcher does the most well is breaking the genre norm(like how in Madoka
)

hpulley said:
but the show likely won't be the memorable for me unless we get a really good unexpected twist which the script writer of the last episode is known for... we'll see if he can pull it off.

The "script writer" is known for far more than just "twists" - he has very strong focus at character development, exploration of dangers of utilitarian societies, as well as nature of idealism. Those hyping Butcher for Madoka conveniently forget that madoka was only 15% twists and 75% character development and exposition, via character interaction.

And after all, "story", "twists" and all that fluff are nothing more than a backdrop of devices used to develop characters and tell their journey - as Character is the centerpiece of any and every narrative in existence.
AhenshihaelJun 25, 2013 4:59 PM
Jun 25, 2013 5:02 PM
May 2013
Kinda surprise there's no 8 page flame war on this and last weeks episode unless I somehow missed it.
Jun 25, 2013 5:21 PM
Mar 2012
I agree the rouge AI twist is somewhat off. It raises but does not answer the question if the Alliance is also being run by intelligent machines. Certainly the austere warrior life style (Spartan like) of the Galactic Alliance is somewhat predictable because the severe environment they are faced with, but with the references to wandering tribes in the first episode, rebellions or desertion may have been not so uncommon from the Galactic Alliance. So one would assume there were protocols for dealing with encountering other humans and from Ledo’s reaction – this was not one of them.
Taking a wild guess at the unknown weapon - it might be a kind of EMP weapon – the downside being that much of what is on the fleet is also vulnerable. The possibility here is that Chamber is also damaged in the process.
I definitely look forward to next week episode.
Jun 25, 2013 5:55 PM

Jul 2007
bobbyf77 said:
I agree the rouge AI twist is somewhat off. It raises but does not answer the question if the Alliance is also being run by intelligent machines. Certainly the austere warrior life style (Spartan like) of the Galactic Alliance is somewhat predictable because the severe environment they are faced with, but with the references to wandering tribes in the first episode, rebellions or desertion may have been not so uncommon from the Galactic Alliance. So one would assume there were protocols for dealing with encountering other humans and from Ledo’s reaction – this was not one of them.
Taking a wild guess at the unknown weapon - it might be a kind of EMP weapon – the downside being that much of what is on the fleet is also vulnerable. The possibility here is that Chamber is also damaged in the process.
I definitely look forward to next week episode.

Really? the VERY strict, robotic, logical utilitarian rationality-based machine-like nature of Alliance did not tip you off?

as for Ledo's reaction - we can't judge ANYTHING about ALliance from current Ledo. Stuff he might have been okay with before the show now can cause wildly different reactions.
Jun 25, 2013 7:07 PM

Oct 2012
wow.... that episode was so great it gave me the chills. Def the best episode of this series so far! Hope the last episode is just as good, and tbh i kinda want a second season if they have a good ending.
Jun 25, 2013 7:09 PM

Oct 2012
Mr_alucard1985 said:
Was THAT the mecha battle? it was more like a few laser beams, colorpencil lines to be accurate, crossing the sky. and where is the story developement. yeah apocalypse now nutjob empty tincan, we knew that. what about the alliance, the fate of the hideauze on earth ..... we' ll have a very fastpaced compressed likely dissapointing final episode.

Dont forget your talking about the guy who also made madoka magica and we all know how well that ended.
Jun 25, 2013 10:32 PM

Jul 2012
LOL I love how a ton of people are chiming in now on saying they knew Kugel was dead or the AI had taken over when only a few people last time had talked or agreed over that theory.
Jun 25, 2013 10:56 PM
Dec 2010
Whatever people say, I still think that this show is awesome stuff, especially with this episode.
Jun 25, 2013 11:01 PM

Jan 2010
lanfire said:
LOL I love how a ton of people are chiming in now on saying they knew Kugel was dead or the AI had taken over when only a few people last time had talked or agreed over that theory.

Ahahaha!! That so true! xD

Jun 25, 2013 11:47 PM

Jul 2007
lanfire said:

Welcome to MAL.

Last week we had two maybe three people supporting that theory and quite a few "LULZ this is outrageous they won't do that" people.

MAL posters are an experts at calling shit after it happens.
Jun 26, 2013 12:38 AM

Jun 2012
Fai said:
lanfire said:

Welcome to MAL.

Last week we had two maybe three people supporting that theory and quite a few "LULZ this is outrageous they won't do that" people.

I think it is absolutely amazing, that there were people, who could predict this outcome, those turn of events.
ChepriJun 26, 2013 7:30 AM
All hail the Nutcracker Queen!
Jun 26, 2013 6:31 AM

Mar 2013
Fai said:
lanfire said:

Welcome to MAL.

All according to keikaku.
"In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
- Douglas Adams

"...but all these feels that are currently assaulting me don't seem to care. Conversely, I'm also aggressively erect at the moment..."
Jun 26, 2013 9:04 AM
Oct 2012
Fai said:
lanfire said:

Welcome to MAL.

In last weeks thread 12 people in the first 4 pages of the thread supported the "Kugel" was dead argument. Here are there names in order:
Hpulley
Flamingo-chan
Archie 74
Max Crazy7
Niaxto
Entravity
Fai
Marzan
Cuntolgoics
Johj
Skudoops
TakuanSoho

So that included you Fai, and me. Hpulley started the ball rolling on the 5th or 6th post. (Should add only 2-3 people specifically supported the kugel is alive argument on those same 4 pages). The rest of the posts did not touch upon the topic.

Jun 26, 2013 9:36 AM

Dec 2011
That was an intense battle between Chamber and Striker. Why does it feel to me that Striker is pretending as the Commander Kugel??

Anyways, this anime really broke my expectations! It went above and beyond. Cant wait to see the end.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 26, 2013 9:56 AM

Sep 2011
Fiji said:
That was an intense battle between Chamber and Striker. Why does it feel to me that Striker is pretending as the Commander Kugel??

Anyways, this anime really broke my expectations! It went above and beyond. Cant wait to see the end.

Because he was? Kugel's head even phucking fell off!

The show kind of disappointed me... The pacing with the slice of life episodes took up way too much of the time, I would go as far as to say that the barbecue episode was almost unnecessary, Amy's friends kind of just became accessories to her, who even herself is just a one dimensional plot device(don't get me wrong, she's a very nice girl who if I were Ledo, I would be glad to have met)

I don't even feel like I am anticipating the finale, we will see how it is I guess.
Jun 26, 2013 11:30 AM

Jul 2007
GodlyKyon said:

The show kind of disappointed me... The pacing with the slice of life episodes took up way too much of the time, I would go as far as to say that the barbecue episode was almost unnecessary, Amy's friends kind of just became accessories to her, who even herself is just a one dimensional plot device(don't get me wrong, she's a very nice girl who if I were Ledo, I would be glad to have met)

Calling character growth "unnecessary" xD

You DO realize that without those episodes and without Ledo interacting, reacting and developing as a person, the current decisions he makes would NOT be made, right?

The very basis of any narrative is:
1) you establish the character baseline.
2) you change or progress the said character in a certain direction, while expanding upon who he is.
3) you give him a dilemma that requires his character development to work.
4) you give a conclusion re-establishing who the character is NOW.

That's EVERY single good quality story ever.
Jun 26, 2013 11:41 AM

Sep 2011
Fai said:
GodlyKyon said:

You DO realize that without those episodes and without Ledo interacting, reacting and developing as a person, the current decisions he makes would NOT be made, right?

2) you change or progress the said character in a certain direction, while expanding upon who he is.

The length is unnecessary, which lead to the seemingly rushed conclusion we are getting right now.

I already told you, I was complaining about the amount of time it took up, a WHOLE episode with barbeque and fanservice, in reality, the barbeque and belly dancing episode could have been combined.
Jun 26, 2013 12:15 PM

Feb 2010
GodlyKyon said:
Fai said:
GodlyKyon said:

The length is unnecessary, which lead to the seemingly rushed conclusion we are getting right now.

I already told you, I was complaining about the amount of time it took up, a WHOLE episode with barbeque and fanservice, in reality, the barbeque and belly dancing episode could have been combined.

The entire anime is about Ledo growth, this is confirmed by interviews.
Jun 26, 2013 12:21 PM

Dec 2009
Takuan_Soho said:
Fai said:
lanfire said:

Welcome to MAL.

In last weeks thread 12 people in the first 4 pages of the thread supported the "Kugel" was dead argument. Here are there names in order:
Hpulley
Flamingo-chan
Archie 74
Max Crazy7
Niaxto
Entravity
Fai
Marzan
Cuntolgoics
Johj
Skudoops
TakuanSoho

So that included you Fai, and me. Hpulley started the ball rolling on the 5th or 6th post. (Should add only 2-3 people specifically supported the kugel is alive argument on those same 4 pages). The rest of the posts did not touch upon the topic.

Kudos for the effort, Taku. Too bad your intended audience doesn't seem to be listening.
Jun 26, 2013 12:27 PM

Mar 2012
I can honestly say i didn't expect him to be dead.
Jun 26, 2013 1:07 PM
Jun 2013
I hoped he wasn't dead because its such a boring and overused plot, AI gone wild blah blah blah

Such a disappointment.
Jun 26, 2013 1:37 PM
Oct 2012
morrownight said:
Kudos for the effort, Taku. Too bad your intended audience doesn't seem to be
listening.

Who needs facts when they have their opinions!

Personally I think it would have been more interesting if Kugel was alive, then we would have had a real conflict with a representative of the Alliance, but now we only have Ledo rebelling against a deranged AI which effectively undercuts any proof that Ledo had "developed". One could easily argue that Stryker was so insane that even Ledo knew something was wrong. They can't even claim that Ledo didn't know that Kugel was dead to support their theory, Stryker started the fight because it couldn't argue, we don't know if Kugel could have said something to cause Ledo to stand down.

I almost think that the whole point of this show is to NOT have a point, but I think this is just the price you pay when you get 5 different people writing the episodes. This seems to have been a rushed project. Either that or they spent all the money on the dance and character design.
Jun 26, 2013 2:45 PM

Sep 2012
THAT WAS AMAZING,
truly this could be one of my favorites depending on how it ends.

this entire time Striker was the one pulling the strings...really makes me think about chamber.
that was deep....

also that mecha fight was epic, and Pinion helping out made me cheer for Ledo even more.

10/10
Jun 26, 2013 3:01 PM
Oct 2012
zombiepika said:
THAT WAS AMAZING,

this entire time Striker was the one pulling the strings...really makes me think about chamber.
that was deep....

also that mecha fight was epic, and Pinion helping out made me cheer for Ledo even more.

10/10

There is no evidence that Stryker is pulling any strings. Once again this show has provided no evidence on which to judge anyone or anything. Stryker could just be following Kugel's last orders, Stryker may have preached the doctrine of humanity and the Cult could have seized the idea and went crazy on their own and Stryker is unaware of what is being done in its name (Christ is not responsible for people who kill in Christ's name), or because of Kugel's death Stryker could have either gone insane or being desperate for human direction was corrupted and co-opted by a pre-existing cult.

Stryker has been a lot dumber than Chamber, which makes me think that the AI isn't an AI, it is somehow tied into the intelligence of the pilot, sort of a rational appendage to the pilot. This would explain why Chamber thinks more like Ledo and tends to agree with him when Ledo can rationally articulate what he wants to do (and was willing to fight with Stryker), and why Stryker can barely mouth cliches and was left sputtering at the end: as Kugel body decays so does Stryker's mind.
Jun 26, 2013 5:10 PM
Apr 2011
There was so much potential with this show and its plot, but it feels like it's all been wasted. Kind of like Ano Hana, but I felt that even ano hana's ending was better.

I mean overall this was still enjoyable to watch, I don't regret watching it. It's not a "bad" show. But it's such a pity it didn't make the most of an interesting story.

Many people say the pace of the story was not done well. Too many slice of life episodes in which nothing happens resulted in a really rushed ending. I don't think that's where the problem lies. It's not that there are too many slice of life episodes, it's that nothing happened in them. I think you would need at least this many episodes to actually develop and change a character. Shortening this part to give more time to flashy fights won't make the anime any better. The problem, is there's no reason for Ledo's development.

Take for example, near the beginning, when he let Chamber kill off all the pirates, just like that. He didn't feel anything about killing humans. He only refrained from doing so later on because he didn't want to antagonize gargantia's crew. Why then, did he suddenly become so distraught, after finding out that the hideouses (Don't know how to spell it, I feel my way's better anyway :p) were of human origin? Where did this change happen?

Also, sure, he had a flashback of his brother, or whoever it was. He saw Bebel a few times. But why did he suddenly feel sympathy for the "weak"? In my opinion Bebel did absolutely nothing to prove his worth. Also, Amy did absolutely nothing to show her strong bond with Bebel, other than talk? There was no action, no incident for Ledo to make realizations and change. The only time Amy showed her love for Bebel was when she decided to stay with gargantia, but Ledo cared about Bebel long before. Of course, I also felt that there was little to no development between Ledo and Amy; it felt that they just suddenly started liking each other for no apparent reason.

Yes, as some people have said, there is "development". Ledo wouldn't have made these decisions in the first episode. But when did that development happen? Why did it happen? How did it happen? People don't change so much just because some strangers they've just met told them that "killing is wrong", or "weak people shouldn't be disposed of".
Jun 26, 2013 10:09 PM

Oct 2012
Ok in this episode Ledo, Pinion, Rackage so badass xD
Lol Rackage "Actually acting like a man for once?"
Well finally Pinion looks cool
Poor Kugel... At least he actually die as a hero not a villain...

Next ep Gargantia will join the war?
Last ep nooooo :(
"Signature removed"
Jun 27, 2013 1:54 AM

Jan 2010
Ray_Light said:
Ok in this episode Ledo, Pinion, Rackage so badass xD
Lol Rackage "Actually acting like a man for once?"
Well finally Pinion looks cool
Poor Kugel... At least he actually die as a hero not a villain...

Next ep Gargantia will join the war?
Last ep nooooo :(

He did. In first episode!

Jun 27, 2013 2:07 AM

Jul 2007
Zulichka said:
I hoped he wasn't dead because its such a boring and overused plot, AI gone wild blah blah blah

Such a disappointment.

Actually I think its Chamber who is an outlet and Striker's philosophy and behavior is standard in Alliance - after all the AIs WERE made to support and "take care" of humanity during long-distance space travel. Cue evil AI overlords.

Chamber however seems to have formed a different outlook - he constantly has challenged Ledo through the show, making up excuses in order to allow Ledo to make his own decisions and observing his reactions (its especially evident this episode, where his silence when Ledo is making his monologue is almost parental).

So yeah, it can be that Chamber is the character who grew and developed too, yet we did not pay attention because we thought he is NOT a character.

The way I see it Chamber through his stay on gargantia became increasingly pro-free-will - he started by questioning Ledo's decisions and ended up encouraging them by the end. SO most likely unlike other AIs, chamber took a stance that humanity no longer needs to be "looked after" that it deserves free will on earth.

JoaoZangetsu said:
GodlyKyon said:
Fai said:
GodlyKyon said:

The entire anime is about Ledo growth, this is confirmed by interviews.

^ this.

Gargantia is pretty much modern take on Robinson Crusoe(especially the parallels between CHamber and Crusoe's imaginary friend Wilson) and similar stories - a man cast away in a strange society, adapting to it and developing as he tries to understand their customs.

zombiepika said:
THAT WAS AMAZING,

that was deep....

10/10

This is brilliant build up in narrative IMO. I love the whole "Self-aware evil AIs" thing. Ever since the start this show reminded me of Hyperion novels, so this is a big plus, especially considering HOW WELL everything we know about alliance fits with AI reign ideas.
Jun 27, 2013 2:54 AM

Jan 2010
My own thought plus other people theory about what happen to late Kugel.

Well, I'm say this cause, late Kugel's corpse got beard so, I assume he alive when he received Ledo SOS signal but died from disease(this one didn't get explaination fully from Striker, leave me in doubt). Before he died, he leave all plan for re-education human race on earth to be like Galactic Alliance soldier to Striker . But, consider what other people say how he act in ep1, kicking out this theory aside by making other theory that Striker runs out of control. The one who(might be) kill Kugel. Maybe he also like Ledo, get pulled up by people who going salvage and blend in earth society and Striker suggest him to re-education these people as human race is Galactic Alliance supporter and must fight along with them. Then, Kugel might disagree with Striker and Striker with more self-consciousness plus she following the GA laws and rules thinks Kugel is not worthy soldier anymore to GA and kill him. Then she made up everything in and out for that cult fleet. Or take account what other people say that Kugel corpse is decomposition in unnatural way. Where Kugel, making some thing that similar to human body(like how Roy Mustang make in FMA to fake Rose death) as decoy and run away from Striker as he know that Machine Caliber try to kill him(seriously, no logic here. Why? Think it by yourself)
I really can't say Kugel is died when he is in cool-sleep here as we can see the corpse got beard. But I'll say it, so, this one theory got a lot of flaws inside(maybe). Here, Kugel die in cold sleep when they travel across the space in Lamorak's Telemothy Swing and Striker that off functional on that time fail to detect his death when she wake up(reboot) again. Kugel is officially death and leave Striker alone without human pilot inside to think what is her next query. As other people say how Chamber influence by Ledo's think and decisions, Striker is influence by GA laws and rules only and his death pilot in time he fight in war. So, what I'm saying it here is. She use to refer to GA laws and rules to shape(blend) in earth society in wrong way by implan in their head that she is God(controlling people by using their fears). As she pick up the signal Chamber send away, she might think Ledo will(stay) follow GA, and this is where she fake up Kugel death plus made up story for Ledo as he is Ledo's leader back in GA.

Feel free to read and think or just ignore me..
AoiMizuJun 27, 2013 9:07 AM

Jun 27, 2013 10:35 AM

May 2011
Wow all hell just broke loose in the second half. Now that was exciting to watch. And damnnn so the colonel really was dead.

This is gonna be a great last ep.
Pages (7) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

zimno - Jun 30, 2013

499 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:50 AM

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 16, 2013

261 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:35 AM

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 9, 2013

344 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:24 AM

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 2, 2013

667 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:10 AM

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 26, 2013

253 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 6:55 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.