Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Attack on Titan
Available on Manga Store
New
Jun 11, 2013 1:58 AM
Dec 2010
Reading a lot of that hate against SnK, one of the bigger complaints is that there are too many stills.

Stills have never bothered me in the past and I don't bother me here. With exception to I think it was episode 7, I don't think there have been too many excesive stills and in a lot of the cases I think the stills were done well.
So my question is what is everyone's problem with the stills, especially with the stills featured in SnK?
Jun 11, 2013 2:00 AM

Mar 2012
Why does everyone like to create new SnK thread?
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Jun 11, 2013 2:01 AM

Apr 2013
NeoAnkara said:

Cause it gets alot of response?
Jun 11, 2013 2:01 AM

Jan 2013
Fasces349 said:
especially with the stills featured in SnK?

you just gave yourself away, butthurt fanboy.
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Jun 11, 2013 2:05 AM

Oct 2011
I actually don't mind stills in SnK. THey are not noticeable at all.

I guess those who hates stills are picky about it and are one of those critic wannabes.
Jun 11, 2013 2:06 AM

Apr 2009
Because they're jarring and a sign of production issues. It's especially bad when there are scenes with characters talking or moving and you can hear this, but the lips aren't moving.

Thankfully it's only this bad sometimes (see: episode 8), and most of the time it's just used for montages and such.
Jun 11, 2013 2:06 AM

Jan 2013
yeah tbh I havent been effected by the stills much at all yet. They havent been very disrupting to the series. Im kinda surprised though. I definitely understand why people dont like them. I like fluid action scenes. It's one of the greater things of good animation, imo. Fast, fluid action makes for entertaining fighting shounen, among many other things.

NeoAnkara said:

well, hopefully because they had either a question or topic they wanted to discuss, related to the series , that didnt have a thread in the discussions created yet as no one else thought or cared for said subject.
dextronautJun 11, 2013 2:09 AM
Jun 11, 2013 2:16 AM

Mar 2013
Stills killed my father.
"In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
- Douglas Adams

"...but all these feels that are currently assaulting me don't seem to care. Conversely, I'm also aggressively erect at the moment..."
Jun 11, 2013 2:17 AM

Jul 2012
I've only noticed it on the episode where Eren is revealed to be the Titan because all the budget went into the last 3 minutes that I was speechless, so I don't mind, I actually thought that was smart thinking and a good move. Well, those who keep complaining about it, I really don't get them, it seems like they're searching for negatives constantly, but oh well, since this show is reaching the high spots on the list being rude on it is kind of inevitable, however, bashing the show for one of its minor flaws is stupid, imo.
So, What do you think is on the other side?
Jun 11, 2013 2:21 AM

Dec 2012
Amarrez said:
Because they're jarring and a sign of production issues. It's especially bad when there are scenes with characters talking or moving and you can hear this, but the lips aren't moving.

This. And if I wanted stills I'd just stick to the manga. I'm not sure why people think bashing the stills is nitpicking. It's a massive flaw in the animation.
I am important. I have a girlfriend. Check out my podcast
Jun 11, 2013 2:23 AM

Jan 2013
3nvy said:
Amarrez said:

This. And if I wanted stills I'd just stick to the manga. I'm not sure why people think bashing the stills is nitpicking. It's a massive flaw in the animation.

Actually, if they are done well enough to deceive the audience, I don't mind. But some scenes, like the stairs scene or the ventriloquism scene, were blatantly and badly done.
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Jun 11, 2013 2:58 AM

Jun 2011
Stills never bother me. I view it as a unique story telling style. Don't remember ever seeing it in any other anime. And it's not like they're everywhere so what's the big deal?
Jun 11, 2013 4:43 AM

Dec 2012
demonkurama said:
I view it as a unique story telling style. Don't remember ever seeing it in any other anime.
It's not a stylistic preference. It's their budget.
Jun 11, 2013 5:16 AM

Jun 2011
Stills with Beautiful drawing > Bad Animation
didn't bother me at all..
+
demonkurama said:
I view it as a unique story telling style. Don't remember ever seeing it in any other anime.

+1
Satou0KunJun 11, 2013 5:20 AM
Jun 11, 2013 6:50 AM

Dec 2012
3nvy said:
demonkurama said:

Both, Chibi Italia :)

Stills are present since episode 1. The reason why they are there, is because SnK actually tells an epic kind of fantasy - as if the reader/viewer opens a book (from the past), reads and sees drawn pictures and graveurs of said events. It makes full circle with Armin reading such a book in the anime and the anime itself becomes a history by adding such "stills" further into the same story. Also, nods to the choice of keeping the thick outline of the main characters (humans and titans).

I believe this is the major reason why people didn't complain earlier or still accept stills as a valid and consistent means of telling this particular story.

Those who complain, me included, are those who notice the studio replacing (for budget or other reasons) or disrupting the consistency in animation.
For example, nobody complained about the amounts of stills in Mikasa's episode (6, iirc), because (1) it was a major flashback about two of the MCs, (2) it was also in line with describing a set of memory images, which most of us naturally can accept as 'real' experience. The episode however has two islands of actual animation where obviously all the efforts went. It is still fine (budget and all, later DVDs/BDs), but it's noticeable, especially when you rewatch the episodes.

In episode 8, they pulled they same trick, making the first and the last part animated good-to-great (based on another natural memory effects :D ), but that remarkably made the middle of the episode a sequence of too many stills, following one after another. Additionally, they scraped a very nice scene by choosing to "announce" its importance, than to take full advantage of its humor - all and all, there are humans in the anime, they are to be shown as different characters and yet at that moment they formed as a group in action. I think the right choice was either to animate it all the way (instead of doing it half-way by adding more stills to recreate its meaning) or keep it as scarce as possible (the manga dedicates only two panels to this scene), in case the choice weights on in being an unimportant scene.

To make things worse, they also added stills before Marco and Jean's conversation, when it was already clear what's going on. I don't remember exactly how long was the pan-shot before that, but it was enough to make sense, while the still broke the flow of the animation (<- literally).

As a rule of thumb, one should have a very good reason to scrap action scenes - the risk is higher regardless how meaningfully good it might turn out and that refers to the dramatic count of soldiers coming through the windows - how many of them survived the run to the HQ. If things are to improve, Jean's face, parts of it, and a still of the entry aren't enough for the tragedy.

That being said, I absolutely adore what the anime guys do in depicting the titans. It may be because of Isayama's influence on the subject, but when you think about it ... humans are the cats in the story (if all of you remember the topic of "pretending to be a titan" :)). The smallest of the bastards are approximately twice the average human height, they are shocking and voracious - I did see and understand it because of the quality put into the animation (along with the original idea from the manga). See - here -

compared to that moment in the anime.

This is what I wanted to say about the stills in SnK (so far).
zellamiJun 11, 2013 6:57 AM
Jun 11, 2013 6:52 AM

Jan 2009
3nvy said:

more or less since anime is limited animation so budget is tight or budget is less
Jun 11, 2013 7:00 AM

Jan 2013
As long as the goddamn otakus(including me) are demanding much, we'll see much more stills in the second season for the sake of good action scenes, no doubt. But whatever, I don't really care how hard the animators work and the budget is limited.
DawnJJun 11, 2013 7:19 AM
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Jun 11, 2013 7:32 AM

Feb 2013
I dont mind the stills too much coz
the drawings are great.
Jun 11, 2013 8:17 AM
Aug 2012
Tbh I've hardly noticed the stills myself and even then I don't mind them

In fact half the reason I even notice them is because people point them out in episode discussions
Jun 11, 2013 8:18 AM

Nov 2012
that is normal you know.. maybe there are some guy that doesn't like SnK then.. they think they know there is an anime that better than SnK or whatever.. then bla blba bal... you know.. :/

just respect them.. dont judge them.. they dont do anything wrong.. :3

NeoAnkara said:

I know that feeling bro! :I
LunaJun 11, 2013 11:51 PM
Jun 11, 2013 9:19 AM

Aug 2008
For still pictures we have manga. For still pictures with sound we have picture drama. And anime is for moving pictures with sound. Go figure.
Ii tenki desu ne...
Jun 11, 2013 4:37 PM

Jan 2012
Personally I think stills works wonderfully with Shingeki no Kyojin. It makes SnK look story book-like. I don't see why people are complaining/hating on the stills.

People should be happy that Shingeki no Kyojin even has an anime instead of complaining about the simplest things. If you want less stills, BUY the blu-rays and dvds. By doing that you will be giving them money.
Jun 11, 2013 8:28 PM

Dec 2012
OnePieceQ8 said:
Animation is the rapid display of a sequence of images to create an illusion of movement. Stills are not even animation. They are simply images with audio.
Jun 11, 2013 8:31 PM

Jun 2012
I don't know, they don't bother me because the art in the stills is still amazing. As for the Stills vs. Animation..... Animation>Stills
Jun 11, 2013 8:42 PM

Sep 2012
OnePieceQ8 said:

I would disagree. I don't mind if a show has budget constraints, but when they do I'd rather see moving pictures because that's what I came for. Besides, you can still have good animation, just with simplified drawings.
Jun 11, 2013 9:06 PM

Apr 2012
I don't care about stills. I thought the animation was too good/expensive to sustain anyways. I wasn't expecting episode 1 quality in every episode and beyond. I still don't like many of the characters though. Maybe i'm just growing out of the shounen genre *shrugs*

Jun 11, 2013 9:28 PM

Oct 2012
I don't mind them too much. Every episode have beautifully drawn still. When it's used in a montage, I never notice. Episode 8 was probably the only one I noticed. But it doesn't really bother me.
Jun 11, 2013 9:29 PM

Jan 2013
They're fine I don't see the big deal
Jun 11, 2013 10:04 PM

Feb 2008
srsly? people complain about stills and yet they continue watching it?
U have an option of just reading it. at the very least I can hear their awesome voices in the anime.
... =_=

Jun 11, 2013 10:08 PM

Nov 2012
Stills just irritate me, I blame Fairy Tail, all the fights have stills, it looks like they landed a hit but instead all it's doing is just zooming in and out of the image with a "punch" sound effect.

3nvy said:
OnePieceQ8 said:
Animation is the rapid display of a sequence of images to create an illusion of movement. Stills are not even animation. They are simply images with audio.
^
Jun 11, 2013 10:16 PM

Dec 2012
reiko64 said:

Why do people keep using this dumbass logic? That's what I want to know.

at the very least I can hear their awesome voices in the anime.

I can make a recording of me shouting "I WILL DEFEAT EOTEN DATTEBAYO" for you to play over while reading the manga. Should produce the same experience.
Jun 11, 2013 10:36 PM

Jan 2012
3nvy said:
reiko64 said:

Why do people keep using this dumbass logic? That's what I want to know.

at the very least I can hear their awesome voices in the anime.

I can make a recording of me shouting "I WILL DEFEAT EOTEN DATTEBAYO" for you to play over while reading the manga. Should produce the same experience.

Well I can tell you really hate stills.

Don't you even care about the artwork? You can't get that from the manga which is just black and white.
Jun 11, 2013 10:56 PM

Dec 2012
Color has no inherent value over black and white imo. So many classic films were in black and white. I also have grown to appreciate the sketchy character designs and intricate details on the titans in the manga art. I prefer the manga mikasa's design, for one.
Jun 12, 2013 12:23 AM

Sep 2012
i still dont see the problem. it seems to be something people need to stop for a moment and think about. i mean seriously, can ones opinion be so stationary that all you can do is hate on stills?

in all seriousness.
its a bit annoying, but they implement it fairly well
Jun 12, 2013 12:46 AM

Dec 2012
eldest said:

Sometimes they do, but other times it's just so forced. I don't think stills are always a bad thing, is what I'm saying.
Jun 12, 2013 12:59 AM

Mar 2012
If i say i love stills, someone will start another thread to know the reason why people love stills.
Jun 12, 2013 1:02 AM

Sep 2012
3nvy said:
eldest said:

Sometimes they do, but other times it's just so forced. I don't think stills are always a bad thing, is what I'm saying.

fair call, id go full animation everytime, but as long as the still arent too common/forced, they can work well, most eps of SNK havent been too bad.

theres also time where stills can be absolutely amazing,
case in point
Jun 12, 2013 2:42 AM
Sep 2012
MAL's taste in animation is crap. They liked that crappy cgi non fluid mix in Fate/Zero didn't they?
Jun 12, 2013 2:51 AM

Jan 2009
anime in general is limited animation http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limited_animation

anime does not have big budgets like american cartoons have and american cartoons uses full animation

Full animation refers to the process of producing high-quality traditionally animated films that regularly use detailed drawings and plausible movement. Fully animated films can be made in a variety of styles, from more realistically animated works such as those produced by the Walt Disney studio (Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Lion King) to the more 'cartoon' styles of the Warner Bros. animation studio. Many of the Disney animated features are examples of full animation, as are non-Disney works such as The Secret of NIMH (US, 1982), The Iron Giant (US, 1999), and Nocturna (Spain, 2007).

source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animation#Traditional_animation
Jun 12, 2013 5:00 AM

Jan 2013
HurricaneSweet said:
MAL's taste in animation is crap. They liked that crappy cgi non fluid mix in Fate/Zero didn't they?

You mean ☆★☆LENS☆★☆FLARE☆★☆?
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Jun 12, 2013 5:21 AM

Jan 2012
If I wanted to look at sexy stills I'd just buy the manga.
Jun 12, 2013 5:32 AM
Mar 2013
NeoAnkara said:

Why does everyone like to create new posts in SnK thread? Hurrr

More topics from this board

» The GOAT first episode

Bolbysaur - Apr 17

42 by BETTY_ »»
Apr 24, 11:28 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 25, 2013

971 by Confessor0 »»
Apr 18, 10:22 AM

» Bug on the app

Jackson_rajkumar - Apr 13

3 by Jackson_rajkumar »»
Apr 15, 4:46 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 28, 2013

1651 by c444de »»
Apr 14, 12:43 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 27, 2013

940 by 4amps »»
Apr 11, 9:56 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.