Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 1, 2009 3:40 PM
Apr 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Hmmm I am enjoying this series, but I still think there's far too much moralising and talking during crucial bits of a fight scene... and I also wonder whether the really cool bits like Zabuza taking loads of guys down and then stabbing Gatou, have to be tempered every 20 episodes by flashbacks, morals, and standing around instead of getting to the point....

That said, this episode was great. :P It's just a shame I had to struggle through that interminable mist fight to get to it.

Jul 30, 2009 9:57 AM

Mar 2009
5 out of 5.

That was an amazing episode.

Nov 13, 2009 8:18 PM

Jun 2009
So that's the purpose of his mouth..

Oh my shadow clones!! clone me!!

OMG lol for Kakashi.. well that was a lot
ZinvyNov 13, 2009 8:32 PM
Live well - Laugh often - and Love much

May 10, 2010 5:31 AM

May 2010
That was an awesome episode omg, Zabuza had never thought of haku as anything but a tool and then naruto makes him cry?? lmao. A little too much talking though!!

Soooo stoked he slashed that noob Gatou, what a legend kill.
May 27, 2010 12:44 AM
Aug 2009
A great episode but sad at the same time.
Sep 27, 2010 8:19 AM

Oct 2008
So this is the first therapy no jutsu that Naruto performs.

RIP - Zabusa and Haku.
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Sep 27, 2010 8:19 AM

Oct 2008

RIP - Zabusa and Haku.
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Apr 7, 2011 9:54 AM
Mar 2011
Zabuza has awesome looking teeth.
Apr 11, 2011 11:29 PM
Apr 2011
Jesus Juniper Christ, Zabuza sure knows how to make an exit. I mean....fuck! Rushing that gaggle of mooks was crazy. Kind of disappointed that Gatoh went down so easily, but he's not exactly the muscle of the operation, so whatever.

I lol'd so hard at Naruto and Inari trying not to cry.

What's next?
Apr 20, 2011 6:47 PM

Jun 2009
Yeah, it was badass how Zabuza killed Gato. Probably the single most satisfying moment so far in the series. I'm glad that Haku actually stayed dead, it's a nice change of pace from how One Piece never seems to kill much of anything unless it is a backstory or something.

Overall, these last 3 or so episodes have been pretty strong though I do agree that the Naruto/Sasuke vs. Haku and Kakashi vs.Zabuza fights went on for to long. Not a bad opening arc, though, I think.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Apr 21, 2011 2:18 AM

Feb 2009
insan3soldiern said:
Yeah, it was badass how Zabuza killed Gato. Probably the single most satisfying moment so far in the series. I'm glad that Haku actually stayed dead, it's a nice change of pace from how One Piece never seems to kill much of anything unless it is a backstory or something.

Overall, these last 3 or so episodes have been pretty strong though I do agree that the Naruto/Sasuke vs. Haku and Kakashi vs.Zabuza fights went on for to long. Not a bad opening arc, though, I think.

Zabuza's rampage is the highlight of this arc, it was also a pretty emotional episode for me. I remember well episode 19 because I've re-watched it multiple times in the past. Zabuza is actually one of my favorite character, a truly badass villain, and multi-dimensional.

A great thing about Naruto you'll notice is that it has a lot of these great and climatic episodes in this earlier stages. very exciting moments.
Jan 28, 2012 7:43 PM

Jun 2009
Sad episode I must say.
Feb 11, 2012 1:01 PM

Jan 2012
i cried. i'm also convinced this was a gay love story in the passing and not in a derogatory way.
Jul 2, 2012 6:50 AM

Oct 2008
Anitnelav said:

RIP - Zabusa and Haku.

Haha :P

Zabuza's last fight was amazing, also it is good that he gets angry after Naruto makes his big talk about Haku. All this opening arc could be shorter though, but that's how shounen animes & mangas go, so, well, it was good.
Jun 16, 2013 7:31 PM

May 2011
I think this was one of the best anime episodes I have ever seen in my life. Just executed so beautifully, from beginning to end. The kicking of the corpse... the tears of the devil, the OST, the final charge, the death scenes, the snow, the dialogue, the expressions, the philosophy, and the graves (that "Buster Sword")... Everything just left me speechless. I actually cried after a long time.

5/5.

Right up there with the all time greats. People usually do tell me that this is Naruto at it's best, so I'm going to keep going until I feel a degradation, then I'll move to the manga.
Kayaba-Jun 16, 2013 7:39 PM
Aug 21, 2013 3:57 PM

Aug 2013
I have so much to say about this episode..

First of all I think the fight was very awesome and I thought the change in Zabuza was very interesting. Gatou is a complete ________ (insert your own insult here!) and I am so glad he is dead. I was sitting there chanting "die! die! die!" in my mind. I didn't think he would but now that he's gone that is reassuring :)

Inari is sweet in my opinion, and I think Naruto and him could turn out to be long lost brothers or something. They're just so alike.

I like how the bridge builder named the bridge "The Great Naruto bridge" also, it shows that Naruto has done something to help someone. It's almost like you can see his path, his trail, of good deeds and lives saved.

The scene were Zabuza asked to see Haku was quite touching too. Even though I am still not convinced that Haku is a boy, this was a great arc and I look forward to the next one.
Mar 10, 2014 4:36 PM

Nov 2012
Anitnelav said:

RIP - Zabusa and Haku.

LMAO

such effective use of it so early on in the series too!
May 1, 2014 8:58 PM

Jan 2014
Oh my God...I cried so much
Game over. If that's the case, I just have to play again.
Jul 18, 2014 4:18 PM

Jan 2013
Most touching episode ever. I really loved this arc all the time. See you next time Zabusa.., Haku. ;-;
Jul 31, 2014 2:35 PM
Jul 2018
"Die as a tool... That...That...is so sad!" - Naruto

"Kid,... you needn't say more" - Zabuza (crying)

OMG. Episode 19 and I'm crying already... That was so moving. And when he asked Kakashi to take him to die beside her... and the soundtrack...
THAT'S NARUTO
Aug 12, 2014 4:56 AM
May 2012
See, Zabuza really cared about Haku.......He cared.....about him.
Damn, that almost got me. I almost cried. Rest in peace to Zabuza and Haku~ I like them both~
As I thought, Haku didn't really killed Sasuke. Kinda like what he did to Zabuza.
I can notice it now, but I think, this episode was directed by a different person or something like that. The animation was a little bit different.
Awesome episode. I really love Naruto's OSTs <3
Jan 6, 2015 8:37 PM

Jan 2015
I really liked this episode
Jan 12, 2015 7:48 PM

Nov 2014
Rewatching!

Such a sad episode, dem feels!
Mar 21, 2015 7:34 PM
Feb 2015
Put me into tears when he asked Kakashi to put him next to haku... T_T
[center] *>.>[Spoiler][/spoiler]<.<*
[center]
May 7, 2015 12:11 PM

Jan 2014
TEARS..

I loved how Sasuke declined to go on a date with Sakura. He'd rather go on a date with Naruto for sure lol ♥

Kakashi is a beautiful person.
Aug 9, 2015 7:11 AM

Oct 2013
That kick at the start... didn't expect this series to be that brutal. .__.

Feels are real. ;_; This anime just keeps getting better, beautiful conclusion to that arc.
Aug 11, 2015 9:06 AM

Aug 2015
Very emotional episode! My eyes got super watery once Zabuza started crying, then again after Kakashi put him next to Haku! I'm glad he's the one who took out Gato too. Plus it was awesome how the village finally showed up to help. Naruto sure has an effect on people! ★5/5
Sep 29, 2015 4:26 AM

Mar 2010
Such feels....
Nov 8, 2015 12:46 PM
Jan 2015
I DIDN'T SIGN UP FOR THIS!!! ㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠ
Jan 11, 2016 5:46 PM

Dec 2015
At first it was sad tears, then happy tears, sad tears again and at the end happy tears. Jeez, I don't think I've cried like that in a long time and I'm still emotional. I guess it's all the buildup, I watched 6 episodes in a row and it just got to me. I definitely didn't expect Naruto to turn out so emotional! But I love it, I love the depth and feeling behind it.
I knew Zabuza wouldn't be so cold hearted...And I like him even more now... I feel so bad for both Zabuza and Haku. I was glad to see Zabuza have a go at the men there. And how he took out Gato was amazing... I can't talk about how Zabuza decided to spend his last moments because I'll get too emotional.
Haku really did spare Sasuke. He was an amazing person... I understand he used the same technique as he did on Zabuza when he saved him. Such a good hearted boy.
Kakashi was also very remarkable this episode. I loved his compassion and helpfulness towards Zabuza. The scene where they decide they have no reason to fight anymore was so great. I was very relieved.

The animation really did seem better this episode. I noticed how fluid and full of emotion everything was. And the OST was perfect.
In the end they continue on their journey and everything is fine again. Their first mission surely is a memorable one and I will certainly re-watch at least this part of the anime. Amazing! Up until now Naruto has proven to be very surprising and so very interesting!
''One is enough, find someone completely unique'' -Yato
''You can't feel lonely if there's no one else around'' -Yamaken
''Because it's broken, it will never recover'' -Nanami
Apr 22, 2016 11:10 AM

Sep 2010
The first successful use of TALK NO JUTSU!

But this really was great ep and great arc. Naruto truly have an incredible start that grabs one from the get go.
eso18Apr 22, 2016 11:22 AM
Jul 16, 2016 5:39 AM

Jul 2016
Best episode so far.
Aug 31, 2016 1:59 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
It gets me every time ;_; The animation for Naruto and Zabuza's expressions were done so well and was so fluid, they sure know where to spend the budget. I think Zabuza's "change" is realistic, as Haku said when they first met, Zabuza has the same eyes as him. I thought at first he meant that they've both seen death, but maybe it's also because they are similar. In the end, both of them couldn't kill off their emotions, Zabuza found affection for Haku, and Haku was never the type to want to kill people. Like I said last episode, it's probably hard for many, if not most, shinobi to be able to kill of their emotions. The part where Kakashi carried Zabuza to Haku and when Zabuza touched Haku's face, I cried so hard. Such an emotional scene. It shows that everyone needs someone.

I do like that Zabuza didn't care about the mission anymore after Gato betrays him, Zabuza isn't a bloodthirsty animal (I exaggerate) as he was first portrayed.

Naruto's nindo (way of ninja). This whole theme is pretty much the classic Japanese theme giri-ninjo, duty vs. emotions.

GREAT NARUTO BRIDGE. I approve X)
Oct 1, 2016 1:32 PM

Mar 2012
zabuza was so badass in this. and kakashi's page bunching no just was really cool.

my heart shrank with naruto crying in the end.
i think i underestimated the anime. the super emotional scenes with music and voices are much more emotional here. ._.

and here naruto's ninja way started....
Nov 7, 2016 5:09 PM
Nov 2016
I don't know what it was about this episode, but it made me cry, like really hard. I love this series so much. My favorite episode so far.
Dec 14, 2016 12:15 PM

Nov 2016
It's the third time I see this chapter in my life and I never cried with it before now. I'm almost 20 years old now, I was 10 the first time... maybe I feel more sensitive over the years, but the story of Haku and Zabuza really touched me.
Really good.
I found something in life, is just that I'm still trying to figure out what is it.
Feb 23, 2017 1:59 PM

Dec 2016
Damn Zabuza really is a fucking demon :I
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
May 3, 2017 6:15 PM
Jun 2016
Zabuza. Such a badass.

May he kill ninjas only using his mouth in the ever after. o7
May 30, 2017 1:18 PM

Oct 2015
Good episode but this whole arc was way too drawn out.
Jun 17, 2017 10:01 AM
Jun 2017
oh btw, u guys know the bgm title? that farewell part between inari and the rest. kinda....like..that music
Jun 19, 2017 7:46 PM
May 2016
nizar123 said:
oh btw, u guys know the bgm title? that farewell part between inari and the rest. kinda....like..that music

yea, Naruto OST 2, titled "Daylight of Konoha"

https://anime.thehylia.com/soundtracks/album/naruto-original-soundtrack-2/02-daylight-of-konoha.mp3
Aug 28, 2017 3:31 PM

May 2012
Pretty nice episode even though it was rather melodramatic it was a good wrap up to this little arc! Let's see what's next.
Sep 4, 2017 12:04 PM

Feb 2015
T_T

That was sad as hell.
Nov 30, 2017 10:55 PM
Nov 2017
Bakit hindi ma play
Nov 18, 2018 6:59 AM

Jul 2014
ending of the prologue
lycan_May 13, 2020 6:14 PM
Feb 23, 2019 1:59 AM

Aug 2015
First time watching Naruto and I can say so far that I think will love this show! Pretty good ending to this arch.
Jul 4, 2019 8:54 AM
Jul 2019
This was the most heartbreaking episode i've ever seen in anime, next to Death Note (no spoilers), which had me sad for 3 days. I cried like a baby for 2 hours and I still feel the sadness inside from it. This brought so many feelings to the surface of what a "bad guy" really is and how he can feel and love and feel he should be forgiven. Knowing he was going to Hell and Haku was going to Heaven. That is such a tragedy in of its own.
Jul 18, 2019 8:37 PM

Mar 2015
Oh man what a way to end the arc, in the end it was sad to see Zabuza and Haku go. But look how much stronger Naruto and Sasuke came out of it as!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Sep 21, 2019 7:21 PM
Oct 2017
One of my roommates got me to start watching this. I tried to watch back in high school but I realized I started watching Shippuden so I didn't know what was happening and stopped. But now, I'm on the right beginning, and damn this arc was so good. Im super stoked for whats next in the 900 more or less episodes of Naruto. It's not ending anytime soon for me and Im psyched!
Oct 28, 2019 6:05 AM

Jul 2016
Man watching this anime again since I did in like 2012 or something, no surprise this ark stuck with me for so long. I guess Naruto wasn't so bad after all.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Naruto Episode 60 Discussion

Alicia3000 - Aug 1, 2009

26 by Matheus050 »»
Apr 25, 6:45 PM

Poll: » Naruto Episode 186 Discussion

Alicia3000 - Aug 30, 2009

26 by shoelaze »»
Apr 25, 3:21 AM

Poll: » Naruto Episode 148 Discussion

Alicia3000 - Aug 20, 2009

19 by FedeMetal »»
Apr 24, 8:52 PM

Poll: » Naruto Episode 144 Discussion

Alicia3000 - Aug 19, 2009

16 by FedeMetal »»
Apr 23, 2:55 PM

Poll: » Naruto Episode 97 Discussion

Alicia3000 - Aug 8, 2009

27 by Darzaka »»
Apr 23, 10:26 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.