Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 16, 2013 6:15 PM

Jun 2007
This is something I intended to question awhile back when I watched it. It's jumped to the front of my mind after just adding an all-CG, all-Korean, non-manga adaptation movie to my list.

For those unaware, Yoshihiro Tatsumi is something akin to Japan's far less known, nihilist Tezuka (in fact, I recall reading that Tezuka was inspired by his work when he switched over to more adult-themed stories). Here's his MAL page: http://myanimelist.net/people/3606/Yoshihiro_Tatsumi

An animated movie adaptation came out in 2011. It included numerous of his shorter works as well as adapting his manga about his own life, growing up as a manga artist; intertwining his short works with his progression through life.

If you were to have a looksee at the above video, you'd get what I mean when I say you won't see a more faithful manga adaptation: it's literally the artwork from the manga panels given motion and colour. Rather than redrawing for the screen, the art simply had motion injected into it. The story content itself was given the same level of attention.

It isn't on MAL either because no-one knows about it or, more likely, because it's a Singaporean animation. But here's the thing: if Korean CG films such as 'King of Pigs', with NO links to Japan whatsoever, are being listed on an anime site, then why isn't a faithful 2D animated adaptation of a well-respected mangaka? I know the Japanese like to subcontract their work on the cheap to Koreans, going on end-of-ep credits, but the point remains: they still aren't Japanese animation and, if that JP-only classification is the reasoning behind Tatsumi not being listed, then it's absurd. Tatsumi's works are so loved by those aware of them and so influential that they were adapted into an animation, so it strikes me as wrong for it not to be on here...
May 16, 2013 6:21 PM

Oct 2007
That's actually a very good point. Similar to this, I often wonder why MAL allows manwha and manhua into the database, seeing as they aren't Japanese, but rather Korean and Chinese respectively.
May 16, 2013 8:37 PM

Nov 2010
Well for some reason this site allows Chinese and Korean animation and manhwa or manhua as long as it's meant for viewing by Chinese, Korean, or Japanese audience. It's written in the rules. I'm guessing it's because the definition of anime is pretty vague and since Japan outsources some animation to Korea, then they had to change the rules because it's not Japanese made anymore but is made for a Japanese audience. And then Korean manhwa got popular, Chinese manhua too I'm guessing. I personally don't fully know the reasoning to this site's rules.
As long as they keep out avatar and other cartoons and comics then I'm fine. I would post this in the manga or anime db board if I were you.
May 17, 2013 7:10 AM
Jul 2010
AironicallyHuman said:

It isn't on MAL either because no-one knows about it or, more likely, because it's a Singaporean animation. But here's the thing: if Korean CG films such as 'King of Pigs', with NO links to Japan whatsoever, are being listed on an anime site, then why isn't a faithful 2D animated adaptation of a well-respected mangaka? I know the Japanese like to subcontract their work on the cheap to Koreans, going on end-of-ep credits, but the point remains: they still aren't Japanese animation and, if that JP-only classification is the reasoning behind Tatsumi not being listed, then it's absurd. Tatsumi's works are so loved by those aware of them and so influential that they were adapted into an animation, so it strikes me as wrong for it not to be on here...

Speak with Kineta. She was the DB Administrator who denied the entry like 2 months ago:
Kineta said:

Denied
Tatsumi (18399) - The film is a Singaporean production with Japanese dialogue, and was animated in Indonesia.

Lastly, you are not supposed to post this in Support:
freedoleen said:
If you've got questions about the guidelines/disagree with them, please make a new thread about this particular issue in Anime DB sub-board. If you don't agree with certain denied entries, please post about it in modification request thread.
May 17, 2013 9:13 AM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
Thread moved.
May 17, 2013 11:17 AM

Jun 2007
Luna moved the thread for me, so it seems there's no need to remake/repost elsewhere. I don't ask these types of questions usually and I figured it'd be easy enough for someone in the know to move/merge if I'd posted it wrongly. After all, the intention was for the moderation staff to read my post!

Someone else already questioned why the film isn't listed, then. Kineta even mentioned something which I neglected to: the film was voiced in Japanese, rather than in the filmmakers native language. If memory serves, they even got Tatsumi in himself to do some of the voice work (this was discussed in one of the DVD extras). There was a HUGE amount of respect for the source material, to the extent they wanted it dubbed the same as its setting and with the author's involvement/approval.

From what little I can gather about MAL's database, it's an uncertain clusterfuck. It should be an 'either or' situation: either ONLY Japanese productions should be viewed as anime or EVERYTHING animated should be viewed as anime; as the Japanese themselves do. With MAL only adding Korean (and Chinese?) titles, in addition to Japanese ones, it's obviously going to lead to these types of situations.

With MAL's database how it is, wouldn't it be best just to classify only animation from Asian countries as anime? That way Disney animations wouldn't need adding to the database and Tatsumi would be able to join the fun. And if the rules aren't likely to be changing, then I think Tatsumi has a good case to be the exception to the rules: it's based on the hugely influential works of a now kinda-sorta famous mangaka, is as close to the anime ideal as you can get (adding motion to manga drawings; being rigidly faithful to the source material), is voiced in Japanese and is generally more worthy of being classed as anime than most anime listed on this site.

...Really, I just want an excuse to re-watch it, list tag-review it and add a rareish 8/10 to my list, but it's most certainly unfair for the likes of King of Pigs to be on here when it itself isn't allowed.
AironicallyHumanMay 17, 2013 11:21 AM
Jan 11, 2014 4:57 PM
Nov 2009
Just watched this movie and support the notion to get it into the anime DB.
Mar 31, 2015 4:37 AM
Nov 2008
This should be in the database.
Oct 17, 2015 10:40 AM

Jun 2011
It's not yet in the database?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1922736/
Dec 18, 2015 3:28 AM

Feb 2008
Supporting the notion of this getting added to the database. Both ANN and AniDB list it, and the entirety of the voice cast were Japanese. The movie is based on several of Tatsumi's works, most notably, his autobiographical recount A Drifting Life.

Nov 10, 2021 1:27 PM
Oct 2021
So I recently found this movie and was blown away I couldnt add it into MAL as it would be an instant 10. I've loved tatsumi's works since I came across The Push Man and other stories and this film was awesome. I can't even find his works at all listed on the site. Its a shame. Mods please add this into the database.
Jan 26, 2022 11:33 AM

Nov 2013
As some american cartoons aren't added to database even if the animation was outsourced to japanese studio, the same should apply in reverse - a singaporean production should be added even if the animation was outsourced elsewhere. That is of course if MAL considers Singapore to be culturally part of China.
You all need to watch Nami.

Jan 31, 2022 10:25 AM

Aug 2017
KashRonin said:
So I recently found this movie and was blown away I couldnt add it into MAL as it would be an instant 10. I've loved tatsumi's works since I came across The Push Man and other stories and this film was awesome. I can't even find his works at all listed on the site. Its a shame. Mods please add this into the database.

They are listed, but the Japanese releases - so, you'll need to find Japanese story collections that contain stories translated into English/Spanish/German whatever else volumes, and add them.
Jan 9, 2023 1:34 AM
Sep 2017
#FreeTatsumi
At this point we've waited long enough. This movie may not have been animated in Japan but it's important and relevant enough to be allowed into the database. Otherwise korean comics which have nothing to with Japan at all shouldn't be here either.

More topics from this board

» The Lord of the Rings: The War of the Rohirrim

NekozillaMaru - Dec 14, 2023

9 by perocles98 »»
7 minutes ago

Sticky: » Anime DB - Post Modification Requests Here ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

cyruz - May 15, 2016

8777 by Rob »»
Yesterday, 6:09 PM

Sticky: » Anime DB - Post Genre/Theme Requests Here ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Mar 28, 2022

719 by RandomGuyBruce »»
Yesterday, 10:36 AM

» will the Scott Pilgrim anime be added to the database? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ganji_No_Tensai - Mar 30, 2023

766 by Kwanthemaster »»
Yesterday, 9:42 AM

» If Scott Pilgrim isn't allowed on MAL, please enforce your rules properly and remove Afro Samurai ( 1 2 )

_cjessop19_ - Nov 19, 2023

99 by CatSoul »»
Jun 9, 6:49 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.