Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Devil Is a Part-Timer! (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
May 2, 2013 6:25 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Runnnnn

Damn poor Maou. He's hurt ;.; Well, shit went down this episode with the action. Lucifer seemed like he went all out. Pretty good episode again imo. Emi seems pretty strong as well when she goes all out. What a boss.

The two new characters kinda arrived late; oh well. Ha this face:
Stark700May 2, 2013 6:34 AM
May 2, 2013 6:32 AM
Dec 2012
It was enjoyable as always. Maou is such a nice guy. He's been likable, and he is more likable now.

Comedy and direction were not so impressive this time.
eminagnamMay 6, 2013 10:32 PM
May 2, 2013 6:38 AM

Jul 2010
Haha, the whole fight was entertaining. Pulling out the gun made me laugh out hard.

Nice of Maou to repair everything after making a mess.
May 2, 2013 7:42 AM

Aug 2012
I was surprised when Maou got shot but I'm glad he's okay.

It was nice of him to fix the damages caused by Lucifer and the rest.
XushuMay 2, 2013 7:53 AM
May 2, 2013 7:58 AM

Nov 2007
This fucking episode, holy shit this show has everything. Action, comedy, HNNNNNG, and it does all of them well. Other shows this season are you even trying?

Chi-chan is too cute to be something legal.
May 2, 2013 9:14 AM

Apr 2011
Awesome episode! The fights scenes are awesome

I cracked up when Chichan screamed followed by Maou and Alsiel at the end. XD
May 2, 2013 10:03 AM
Jun 2008
Time sure flies when watching an entertaining Anime.A very well balance of comedy and quality fight scene. Unlike the Titan Anime,but both anime is great nonetheless .

Well, at least I know how the devil can get back their mana .
Since Emi is an angel, do she get mana from doing good deed?

Now what worry me was what happen to the rest of the story from now on ....
May 2, 2013 10:09 AM

Apr 2008
MorningGlory said:
Time sure flies when watching an entertaining Anime.A very well balance of comedy and quality fight scene. Unlike the Titan Anime,but both anime is great nonetheless .

Well, at least I know how the devil can get back their mana .
Since Emi is an angel, do she get mana from doing good deed?

Now what worry me was what happen to the rest of the story from now on ....

Titan's action trumps all. But diff genres so I love them both
May 2, 2013 11:59 AM
Jan 2013
anyone know where i can watch ep5??
May 2, 2013 12:29 PM

Mar 2013
I need subs or I'll go into withdrawal. SUBS WHERE ART THOUUUU

ETA: spoiled myself a little bit on Tumblr, here's a little gem.

SalemWitchMay 2, 2013 3:05 PM
May 2, 2013 3:02 PM

Mar 2013
The official OP animations look great.
May 2, 2013 3:10 PM

Jun 2011
Why did Emilia's friends even come... and they are leaving ALREADY?
May 2, 2013 4:01 PM

Mar 2012
Shih said:
Why did Emilia's friends even come... and they are leaving ALREADY?

I think they prob won't leave just yet cuz they haven't done anything. hope so anyways
May 2, 2013 4:40 PM

Jan 2013
So they become friends with Lucifer and the Dark Lord goes to school next time. Okay...
May 2, 2013 4:52 PM

Dec 2011
Holy smokes! This episode is full of badass-ery!!!
Didn't expect Olba to betray Emi.

The fight scenes are just amazing!!!
It was nice to see Alsiel's demon form too.

Chiho knows everything now!!!
LOL at where they both screamed at each other!!!

Love how Maou just made peace with Lucifer. I wanna see if he lives in Maou's "stronghold" too!

This episode went by like a flash!!! I need the next one!
FijiMay 2, 2013 4:57 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 2, 2013 4:57 PM

Jun 2012
When dying don't forget to remind your lord to keep shopping smart with money - Ashiya

Maou is such an awesome main character X D

Even during intense action White Fox manages to sneak in some comedy like Emi dodging the energy blast hitting Maou haha
HybridMBLMay 2, 2013 5:38 PM
May 2, 2013 5:00 PM
Oct 2009
I thought the opening song was a bit plain but with the video it's actually very nice!! The OP actually made me lol with Ashiya being overly intense as usual xDD

Last time I thought comedy was lacking but this time the balance of action/comedy was ideal imo. Adding hilarious fails into the epic fight made me LOL, and this scene for some reason I thought was great:

Also I didn't know Shimono Hiro could do crazy/evil so well!! Lucifer, his voice and his crazy faces was so entertaining!
May 2, 2013 5:04 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Hybridbloodszak said:
When dying don't forget to remind your lord of hidden funds you have stashed for him - Ashiya

Gotta love Ashiya. He and Maou's bickerings are so entertaining. Seriously, this anime balances comedy and action really well, I laughed so many times during this episode XD The battle scene was also exciting to watch.

Suzie said:
and this scene for some reason I thought was great:

Their screams during that part was hilarious!!!
May 2, 2013 5:13 PM

Feb 2012
I was wondering how they would do fights in this anime and now that i have seen it, it is pretty freaking amazing. I mean, they even managed to make it an awesome fight and funny as well, not many anime can pull that off. This is quickly rising to be my favorite anime this season :3
May 2, 2013 5:15 PM

Dec 2010
Great episode. This anime really does have it all. I wonder what direction the story's gonna take now though, since Maou already decided not to go back home... please don't say romance between him and Emi.

Are those two friends of Emi (they sound terrible when speaking the gibberish language) just gonna go back to Ente Isla....? What the hell was the whole point of them coming to the human world then?
May 2, 2013 5:21 PM

Mar 2013
Suzie said:
I thought the opening song was a bit plain but with the video it's actually very nice!! The OP actually made me lol with Ashiya being overly intense as usual xDD

Last time I thought comedy was lacking but this time the balance of action/comedy was ideal imo. Adding hilarious fails into the epic fight made me LOL, and this scene for some reason I thought was great:

Also I didn't know Shimono Hiro could do crazy/evil so well!! Lucifer, his voice and his crazy faces was so entertaining!

Hehe, that reminded me of the Dean scream for some reason XD

Did anyone else get the feeling that this episode felt... off? Compared to the first four, the pacing felt really awkward during the battle scene and its conclusion was iffy to say the least.

Though even an awkward episode of Hataraku Maou-sama! is leagues ahead of the majority of shows this season.

Something that confused me that I hope is resolved next episode: judging by the preview, Lucifer has miraculously become "good" and is going to be a servant to Maou, even though Maou's lost his powers by restoring the city. However, Lucifer is still powerful because he can suck on people's fear and sadness, but he still chooses to be Maou's servant...? Unless he lost his powers as well when Maou beat the shit out of him.

Although now that I think about it, the preview doesn't make sense because if all of them (Maou, Lucifer & Alsiel) draw their power from people, doesn't that mean they have a neverending source of power as long as they're around people with fearful/sad emotions? Which means Maou losing his power to restore the city also doesn't make sense...

Okay, I'm annoyed I've used "power" 7 times now -.-
SalemWitchMay 2, 2013 5:26 PM
May 2, 2013 5:26 PM

Nov 2012
Awesome episode, I couldn't stop laughing during the entire episode.
Maou and Alsiel are hilarious.
May 2, 2013 5:26 PM

Feb 2008
Wow it's actually turn out to be good :)

Nothing ventured, nothing gained (Girls und Panzer der Film ) / from Nishizumi Miho

May 2, 2013 5:28 PM

Feb 2012
Wow that was awesome, Lucifer went ham on Satan and Alsiel at the beginning, but later they kicked his ass hard, the old bold dude was useless anyway.

I was hoping when Lucifer said "I should go all out too" that he will pull out some awesome form as well, but nothing happened.

It's sad to see Emi's friends leaving already, they were here for like half a day.

Epic episode is epic, hope it stays like this until the end.
May 2, 2013 5:36 PM

Feb 2012
Just an awesome ep. Blended comedy, plot and action perfectly for me.

Looks like Lucifer is joining the cast permanently and will live as a normal human like everyone else lol. Curious how the plot will move forward now, though I wouldn't mind if we just had more peaceful, funny eps :P
May 2, 2013 5:37 PM

Dec 2009
I'm scared.

Seriously scared.

I assume we will enter the second volume of the light novel starting next episode. And that's usually when light novel adaptations start declining because their overstaying their welcome.

The concept is finished. Maou-sama's story is finished.

Yes, it can still be funny as heck, but it will be nothing more than padding. This is no Keroro or Squid Girl, because Maou-sama actually cared about its story to some degree. Yes, it may be competently done, but it may just get stale.

I'm scared.

Should I just drop this and pretend it was a 2-hour movie?
I have my own anime blog. It's called Anime Viking. Hope you'll you read it!

May 2, 2013 5:47 PM

May 2011
Nice fight scenes with some hilarious comedy to boot, great episode. Liked seeing everybody in their real forms and damnnn Maou looks so legit when he has that dark aura surrounding him. I lol'd hard at that short bickering scene between Maou and Emi before she manifested her powers and hahaha at those surprise screams when they got back to the 'stronghold'.

It was great to finally see the OP get updated with the actual animation as well. And I would love to see Emi in action with her angel wings like she was shown to have in the OP.
May 2, 2013 5:49 PM

Jul 2011
This show is so chill. I'm definitely glad I picked it up because the synopsis seemed like the usual type I drop at first.
May 2, 2013 5:51 PM

Mar 2013
I loved this episode, it was really entertaining, I like how they mixed in humor with the action and drama. What happened to Lucifer in the end? Did he go back or is he living in Japan?
May 2, 2013 5:53 PM

Oct 2010
That official OP was great!

This ep was fking hilarious.. best ep so far!! ♥

Also the animation of the battle was amazing.
May 2, 2013 5:57 PM

Apr 2012
This show is too much, man.
>Maou doesn't want to be late for work
>beats the shit out of Lucifer to get there on time
May 2, 2013 5:57 PM
Oct 2009
Marow said:
Yes, it can still be funny as heck, but it will be nothing more than padding.

Marow said:
I'm scared.

Well, I personnally think there will be more story, I mean it's not even half-way through the season, and they tend to keep 2-3 episodes at the end for a more dramatic arc or something. And, well, like you said, it'll still be funny as heck even if there isn't too much story... So... like, what's wrong with that? I see it as a comedy more than an action series, I'd welcome a few episodes centered completely on comedy...

I'll agree though, I'm worried they'll go into clichés like a fan service pool episode or something lame like that. If they keep it fresh enough though, it should be fine.
May 2, 2013 6:05 PM
Aug 2009
SummerYoung said:
Suzie said:

Something that confused me that I hope is resolved next episode: judging by the preview, Lucifer has miraculously become "good" and is going to be a servant to Maou, even though Maou's lost his powers by restoring the city. However, Lucifer is still powerful because he can suck on people's fear and sadness, but he still chooses to be Maou's servant...? Unless he lost his powers as well when Maou beat the shit out of him.

I'm going to assume Lucifer only has a bit of power left and is keeping it. He did get his power from robberies and that has been mostly depleted fighting Emi.
Loved the new opening tho, and that random scream scene, so random.
May 2, 2013 6:16 PM

Jun 2012
Best screams ever.

Yet another great episode. It seems Maou is much stronger than the others, though Emi and Ashiya are also strong. The fight was very well done.

5/5
If strength is justice, then is powerlessness a crime?

May 2, 2013 6:16 PM

May 2008
SummerYoung said:
Although now that I think about it, the preview doesn't make sense because if all of them (Maou, Lucifer & Alsiel) draw their power from people, doesn't that mean they have a neverending source of power as long as they're around people with fearful/sad emotions? Which means Maou losing his power to restore the city also doesn't make sense...

I think what he meant when he said that was that he had used up all the negative emotions he had gathered from that last incident, therefore he had lost his ability to use his power again, therefore essentially he had lost his power again.

And I'm sure after this episode, Lucifer will be better behaved (at least in front of everyone) simply since if he started misbehaving again, Maou could simply gather some negative emotions from the people around him and teach him a lesson (again) if necessary. This episode made it quite clear power-wise why Maou was at the top and Lucifer was one of the four generals, not the other way around, I'd say.
(Almost) 13 years on MAL!
()__()
(='.'=)
(")_(")
May 2, 2013 6:21 PM

Oct 2011
Definitely best episode up til now!!
Has everything I need: action, comedy, rom-com. Fear gives Maou mana, then what gives Emilia mana then, I don't think it's just good deed.

Love the new OP sequence.
And Chi-chan, so kawaii!!
Also, will the rest of the series become just comedy now?
Signature
May 2, 2013 6:23 PM

Mar 2010
Great episode, and so hilarious and cool at the same time xD Lucifer is probably just gonna be chilling and be a slight nuisance now I bet lol. But I wonder whats going to happen in the other world if the church is going stupid
May 2, 2013 6:47 PM

Apr 2008
Never imagined that Shimono Hiro can pull off evil laughs. Love Nano.Ripe's new song. "Star Chart" I think it's called?
May 2, 2013 6:52 PM

Aug 2012
"I went home to get my general's mantle!"

Alsiel gets me every time.
May 2, 2013 6:52 PM

May 2011
Pretty good episode. I had a few laughs and was interesting to see how they use their powers. The fight scenes were okay.

May 2, 2013 6:54 PM

May 2011
Marow said:
I'm scared.

Seriously scared.

I assume we will enter the second volume of the light novel starting next episode. And that's usually when light novel adaptations start declining because their overstaying their welcome.

Yes, it can still be funny as heck, but it will be nothing more than padding. This is no Keroro or Squid Girl, because Maou-sama actually cared about its story to some degree. Yes, it may be competently done, but it may just get stale.

I'm scared.

I don't get what you mean. Do you mean that the source material declined in quality hard or what?
May 2, 2013 6:59 PM

Apr 2013
Marow said:
I'm scared.

Seriously scared.

I'm scared.

the light novel sucked after this arc ? if so goddamn this was on my top 3 this season.
May 2, 2013 7:00 PM
Mar 2013
game8910 said:
This fucking episode, holy shit this show has everything. Action, comedy, HNNNNNG, and it does all of them well. Other shows this season are you even trying?

Chi-chan is too cute to be something legal.

and capped with nano.Ripe.
May 2, 2013 7:00 PM

Jul 2012
Aww man I lost it when they were just starting the fight and Emi deflected that attack and it smacked Maou. Perfect instant comedy once again during the serious fight.

Ahaha that punch power up just kept going. :D
lanfireMay 2, 2013 7:05 PM
May 2, 2013 7:03 PM

Oct 2012
Damn they cranked up the action this episode but it was really awesome, good variety with action and still able to squeeze in that humour so I had a blast as always:)

The lesson that was learned today is that you don't fuck with Maou's work shift.
May 2, 2013 7:11 PM

Oct 2012
This episode was great! The comedy and action were amazingly blended together. Damn, this series is really something

The op is great too, but, am I the only one who finds it weird that Emi leaves a clock in the middle of the floor? Does she like kicking them every morning or something?
May 2, 2013 7:12 PM
Oct 2012
OMG! THIS! FREAKING! EPISODE!

First half was crazy with shit-going-real everywhere! Those fight scenes were very very good! Seeing how Maou, Emi, and Ashiya getting trashed like that gave me a feeling of hopelessness that can be found in Shingeki no Kyojin. And I never thought that Hiro Shimono can voice such an evil character.

Second half was awesome with action, and they still managed to make me laugh with great comedy. I found myself bursting with laughter when Chiho screamed making Maou and Ashiya scream too.

This is one of the most memorable episodes this season. Well done, White Fox!
May 2, 2013 7:19 PM
Oct 2010
Suzie said:

megalulz picture.

lovin this series. looks like lucifers makes himself @ hometrollin the internet.

was hilarious seeing him talking with that busted face
Dont bother replying to my posts in forums, dont check them afterwards.

May 2, 2013 7:25 PM
Oct 2012
RockerXD said:
Marow said:
I'm scared.

Seriously scared.

I'm scared.

I don't get what you mean. Do you mean that the source material declined in quality hard or what?

You all of little faith. First, most first light novels that decline are good are good because of settings, this series is far more than settings, it literally has it all: humor, drama, even a little pathos. That takes talent, and talent doesn't just "disappear".

Second, what makes shows good isn't action but great character interactions. Entering Lucifer into the mix will be fun, Emilia has come to grips with the first two demon lords, but this one? How this develops will be fun for several more episodes.

Third, there are 7 light novels in this series, there is plenty of material for 7 or 8 more episodes.

Fourth, there are literally 100 different directions this show can go. Haven't read or seen anything outside of this issues, but who says that these are the only two dimensions in this world. PLUS, Emilia is a half-angel, but we already know that the Church was corrupt and there is plenty of infighting going on, so what does that say about "heaven"? Not to mention, where there is a heaven there is a hell, meaning that there are other "dark lords" out there.

Emilia the angel and Maou the Demon becoming friendly, that doesn't bode well for the eternal struggle you know.

Plus (cubed), Emilia's mother is an angel, we have to question what her father really is (and if he is really dead), plus (quad) who exactly is Maou's landlord? Oh, and Chichan obviously digging the "horn".

Oh yes, easily enough to fill 10-20 light novels. And with pitch perfect comedy on top? This is going to be a fun ride.
Takuan_SohoMay 2, 2013 7:28 PM
May 2, 2013 7:39 PM

Feb 2008
just caught a virus on one of the .gif on this page.
Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hataraku Maou-sama! Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 27, 2013

621 by bakakisima »»
Apr 4, 9:55 AM

Poll: » Hataraku Maou-sama! Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 11, 2013

345 by foofooplay »»
Mar 21, 9:27 PM

Poll: » Hataraku Maou-sama! Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 18, 2013

328 by NutsTheBerker »»
Mar 16, 7:24 AM

Poll: » Hataraku Maou-sama! Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 4, 2013

483 by 0ssi »»
Jan 24, 4:07 PM

» Will there be a season 2?

Sir_Alonne - Dec 1, 2017

21 by 88NickC »»
Jan 11, 7:26 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.