Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 25, 2013 11:14 AM

Aug 2010
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
Wow, I did not expect this much from a one-shot...

I think Claudine and her experiences show how heteronormative is our society, and how gender is really one of those invisible borders in society.

And I love the art style!
Jun 3, 2013 1:12 AM

Nov 2011
I loved it ;___;
But why couldn't he have end up together with Rosemarie?
CinnamonHimeJun 3, 2013 1:17 AM

Jun 7, 2013 11:45 AM

Sep 2009
That was incredible. It handled a topic that many today can't understand. Well done. The ending was harsh, but that is reality unfortunately.
Jan 31, 2014 5:57 PM

Oct 2012
It would have been much better if he wasn't referred to as she right throughout. He's referred to as 'she' by many fans as well. I mean idk it made me very uncomfortable that he was being misgendered so much.
Jul 8, 2014 9:18 AM

Nov 2012
Clefabled said:
It would have been much better if he wasn't referred to as she right throughout. He's referred to as 'she' by many fans as well. I mean idk it made me very uncomfortable that he was being misgendered so much.

In context of the story I think it was to show how the majority of society at that time would see his situation, and how they didn't accept/understand it, which caused a lot of problems for him.

In terms of the fans...I feel like this shouldn't have the shoujo-ai label? Since the main character identifies as male...Well actually there is a point in the beginning where Claudine's mother tells the psychiatrist(?) that "[Claudine] says that she is a girl now, but used to be a boy. And that she will return to being a boy sometime in the future." So Claudine might be genderfluid.

Lovely story though, despite the melodrama. It's rare to see this topic handled sensitively in manga. I wished Claudine could have had a happy ending but life is cruel sometimes :(
Nov 23, 2014 5:50 AM

Aug 2010
I hate that he kept getting misgendered.
I do wish that he could have had a happy ending though.
Also...this was four chapters so I'm confused that the first comment says it's a one shot like it was one chapter?

SleepyBear said:
"[Claudine] says that she is a girl now, but used to be a boy. And that she will return to being a boy sometime in the future." So Claudine might be genderfluid.

Actually, he's just male. When the mom brought this up, it was Claudine saying that he used to be a boy in a past life, but in this life was a girl but planned on returning to being a boy in the future.
Mar 7, 2015 3:23 AM

Jan 2011
That was a good short read, but it felt like it skipped around too much. Too bad for Claudine he was born in the wrong body.
Jun 9, 2015 10:48 PM
Lilium Gardener

Jul 2011
Oh, wow. RiP Claudine! Such a tough a life he lived and such a tragic end. Oh yeah and...FUCK Sirene!!
Feb 17, 2016 3:13 PM

Oct 2012
I just love this manga, I love when vintage manga feel very ahead of their time with societal issues. (Even if these issues have been around for a long time, it is awesome to see them taken head on.)
Feb 15, 2017 7:31 AM

Oct 2014
Ikeda did such a great job of endearing us to Claudine over such a short period of time; you could really feel his pain when he was blatantly called "a girl," and of course dat ending. It really is a shame that he couldn't end up with Rosemarie, since she was the only one that seemed to actually respect his identity.
Mar 29, 2018 10:10 AM

Apr 2017
I didn't expected this to be this sad...

It really was a very moving manga and the perfect reflection of society's cruelty. Poor Claudine...

It's nice to see this theme being treated in a serious way in japanese media. It's still not as common as it should.

buy mochi at the mochi store
and friends at the friend store

Jul 9, 2019 8:33 PM

Jun 2014
Claudine truly suffered throughout his life. Every love Claudine had fell apart in front of his very eyes.

Rosemarie was the only person who understood Claudine, but Claudine didn't reciprocate her feelings, unfortunately. The ending made me very sad.

Reading this gave me a better understanding of what it must be like to be transgender. Life can be so incredibly difficult for those whose being isn't fully accepted or understood by society.

Mar 5, 2021 6:59 PM

Jan 2021
Claudine Deserved better ): he truly deserved better. Rereading this makes me bawl my eyes out. Also the one thing that I didn’t like is people misgender him too much.
Aug 6, 2023 1:17 PM
Jun 2023
I feel the same way as well. I understand the Manga is a bit older, it still made me uncomfortable hearing other characters in the Manga misgender Claudine and seeing other characters not accept his identity as a man. I cried alot too. Just finished reading it just now. Hits home. I'm a transgender man ftm myself like Claudine is. So I totally understand his struggle. Hurts alot .

More topics from this board

Poll: » Claudine...! Chapter 3 Discussion

Kristiwazhere - Sep 13, 2020

1 by Foregroundeclisp »»
Aug 6, 2023 1:05 PM

Poll: » Claudine...! Chapter 4 Discussion

Leosmileyface - Dec 19, 2019

1 by LaurenStark »»
Oct 22, 2022 10:38 PM

Poll: » Claudine...! Chapter 2 Discussion

Kristiwazhere - Sep 23, 2020

0 by Kristiwazhere »»
Sep 23, 2020 1:59 PM

» Is there an english physical copy of this?

removed-user - Aug 24, 2015

3 by _-_Sally_-_ »»
Nov 15, 2017 3:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.