Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 20, 2008 10:25 AM

Jan 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
ZANGE PUUUNNCH!!!

For those who can't read Japanese, here's what was in the message:

In all seriousness, does it really matter if they're ghosts or gods? Sad episode.
Dec 20, 2008 11:13 AM

Jun 2008
Sad episode D:
I really hope the show doesn't end like this...
I don't care if Nagi is a god or a ghost, I just want her back

my hopes for a second season are fading...

Dec 20, 2008 12:16 PM

Nov 2008
Zange getting physical? Well about time! Nagi a ghost? Nah, Zange x Nagi FUSION! So where is it? I saw it again, can't take it! This episode SUCKS! Depressing and worst of all the laugh scenes did not work on me for the first time in Kannagi. I swear!

This episode deserves a review just for the amount of :( and T_T there was for me. Every single laugh moments I despised and wished they would finish soon! They made want to laugh but I did not feel like a single moment of :) but instead it was sadly all through the episode "ZETSUBO!" Which means despair! Let's get on the review:

At first the way Daitetsu approached Jin was obviously the same he usually does but somehow the people in the school hall stare at them like if they were gay but then again it was back a few episodes of that yet the entire school still has not gotten used to it or still gossip about it. He tells Jin that while he was on the rooftop he finds Nagi's wand so I take it he knows that something is very wrong here.

It was very interesting to see Jin gather information about Nagi. His experience with an old couple was interesting and the old man's accent was funny, especially since he kept insisting that Jin eats that food. Then going to see the old grand mother for some more info, the grand-mother did say certain things but they sound more mysterious to me. They should have extended that scene too long, at some points it seemed to me as if the movies paused.

About the Zange punch, think of it as the Deity living within Hakua gave her super human strength to get rid of the bad guys. Her skills at that time were astronomical compared to when Jin rescued in episode #4. This is what she did:
a--------------->The blondie guy got his arm super grabbed thus immobilizing him (pressure point there), a kick in the nuts and got over thrown. Never happened before but makes me believe that a martial arts Tengu or other spirit is present within Zange/ how else would she know martial arts?
b---------------> The black guy, got his ass kicked with a shoulder jab into most likely the solar plexus. Then he got a extended punch (forgot the name of that move) it literally elbow the guy and from that position throw him a punch at his nose/face level.
c--------------->The third guy was ridiculous.Arm grab and twist but this time Zange lifts him up to throw him back.
What does it mean? Only one answer--------------->supernatural powers due to a martial arts spirit that most likely likes love since it helps Hakua in her love life. Poor poor Jin, he got freaked out big time there. The grandfather was nice to give some coffee drink.

What follows made me think a) why would Zange keep impurities in a bucket? Is it to throw them at people that Zange does not like or what? My conclusion to that is that Zange is not the nice Goddess she is though to be since usually impurities are to be eliminated and not kept.(proof:
If she was then she would have killed those evil bugs.
b) her eyes changed again like Nagi's does so I am thinking there might someone above both Nagi as well as Zange controlling them both.(proof:
Now I know I might be assuming like some people told me before in certain of my writings but logically how else are you to explain this phenomenon now that we all have vital information to this whole thing,

I though at that point Zange would kiss Jin (proof:
, that would have changed things certainly but alas no kiss. Boo! Incredible that Jin even got a reaction by looking at Nagi's cloth, which is the first time but now that Nagi is gone for a while now, Jin is more affected than ever. So affected in fact that he falls asleep in front the TV and start to eat snacks like Nagi usually does. So worried that Jin even does not sleep well at all and has black eyes, which is another sign that his sleeping is not good. He also checks the locker of Nagi and like someone said earlier I also hate the act that Jin ignored Tsugumi completely. Not only in phone calls but in person when she most worried about him What the hell is wrong with Jin? Tsugumi is most imprortant as a childhood friend to him. So what in the world? #$#$^^##%$% is all I got to say since it irritates so much.

Tsugumi was extremely devastated and shocked at Jin. Is he stupid or something? No normal person should refuse the help of another childhood friend unless is he thinking that it might be bothersome for Tsugumi? In any case Tsugumi's eyes looked like they were crying.

Jin going alone searching in such a rain for Nagi was very very depressing with the setup especially when he heard Nagi but it was just his illusions. The worst comes after he get home and falls asleep. That would be my first screen shot. He has a dream of Nagi suffering and about to die. Nagi...................uwaaaaaaH T_T that was sad. How can Nagi die in such a state with the cat she absorbed? Nagi :(

At this stage anything is possible in #13 so I hope Nagi comes back. How did this even occur, I doubt it was only Jin, the other thing might have convinced Nagi it would be a waste to be with Jin and find someone or some other place to be at.

1.Nagi noooooooooooooo! T_T
2.Jin, T_T sad, sad, sad

slayer545-samaDec 23, 2008 11:19 PM
please report all angel999 duplicate accounts to the mods asap
Dec 20, 2008 12:52 PM
Jul 2018
Nagi will come back for sure next episode. Jin doesn't care what she is, Nagi is Nagi.

Sad and good episode, I hope next, final episode will finish Kannagi worthily.
Dec 20, 2008 7:38 PM

Jan 2008
slayer545-sama said:
I saw it again, can't take it! This episode SUCKS! Depressing and worst of all the laugh scenes did not work on me for the first time in Kannagi. I swear!

Yeah, I hope that they're trying to build up this sadness to make the last episode a really happy one.
Dec 21, 2008 12:34 AM

Mar 2008
well, honestly, i hate nagi, so it's actually better without her, but without her jin gets damn sentimental.. and i hate it that he ignored tsugumi completely.. JIN SAITEI!

well, zange chan's action was nice tho.. poor jin.. but logically it's quite impossible even if she's a god, coz she's using a normal girl's body.. unless Hakua is a judo blackbelt of course..

i think everyone posting here watched the raw.. i wonder if everyone understood the explanation about Nagi's identity.. well, to summarize it all according my own understanding, at the end of the episode, jin tried to put it all together(according to the old grandma and zange's explanation) and came to the conclusion that nagi might be someone who hanged herself on the 'shinboku'(god tree) during the war, thus her spirit (rei) was absorbed by the shinboku..
Dec 21, 2008 1:45 AM

Nov 2008
lonehunter88 said:
well, honestly, i hate nagi, so it's actually better without her, but without her jin gets damn sentimental.. and i hate it that he ignored tsugumi completely.. JIN SAITEI!

well, zange chan's action was nice tho.. poor jin.. but logically it's quite impossible even if she's a god, coz she's using a normal girl's body.. unless Hakua is a judo blackbelt of course..

i think everyone posting here watched the raw.. i wonder if everyone understood the explanation about Nagi's identity.. well, to summarize it all according my own understanding, at the end of the episode, jin tried to put it all together(according to the old grandma and zange's explanation) and came to the conclusion that nagi might be someone who hanged herself on the 'shinboku'(god tree) during the war, thus her spirit (rei) was absorbed by the shinboku..

Interesting explanation, I did not quite grasp the Shinboku terms although the suicide and rei terms were familiar to me. So wow that is what it is about and also the old grand-mother seems to know things also about Kannagi town.

lonehunter88 said:
slayer545-sama said:
lonehunter88 said:

Interesting explanation, I did not quite grasp the Shinboku terms although the suicide and rei terms were familiar to me. So wow that is what it is about and also the old grand-mother seems to know things also about Kannagi town.

more translation info for curious ppl

It is just as I though. My problem is to confirm 100% of the RAW and it seems I got good friends here to help me. Domo Arigato minna! I did hear from the grand-mother a thing such as sensou so now I understand. It such to my understanding that I must ask: was I right in my last post?----------->http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=57203 read the after sub thoughts part. Could Nagi be really two spirits in one vessel? Could it be the other one being a Tengu? They usually trick people and Jin would be the most gullible since this Tengu is female in nature and Jin has weakness to do. Obvious at the maid cafe. I think it is high time to find about Nagi's true nature! Should this time arrive as a fact about two spirits being in her body, a exorcism must be done.

GET RID OF SHIT plaguing Nagi body! Let's get rid of that which is impure but should Nagi be a Tengu or fake, I still stand by Nagi side and God that which would be that Nagi would never have ill intentions. Nagi always at worst had mischief which is why it makes me think of Tengu of Kami Kitsune since they trick a lot. I do not know if Tengus can be females but Kitsune spirits have been shown to have female appearances.
slayer545-samaDec 23, 2008 11:49 AM
Dec 21, 2008 6:47 AM

Mar 2008
slayer545-sama said:
lonehunter88 said:

Dec 21, 2008 8:41 AM

Jun 2008
lonehunter88 said:

wow, that completely changes what I was thinking.
I watched the raw and didn't really grasp that
thanks for the trans

Dec 22, 2008 10:40 PM

Mar 2008
slayer545-sama said:

It is just as I though. My problem is to confirm 100% of the RAW and it seems I got good friends here to help me. Domo Arigato minna! I did hear from the grand-mother a thing such as sensou so now I understand. It such to my understanding that I must ask: was I right in my last post?----------->http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=57203 read the after sub thoughts part. Could Nagi be really two spirits in one vessel? Could it be the other one being a Tengu? They usually trick people and Jin would be the most gullible since this Tengu is female in nature and Jin has weakness to do. Obvious at the maid cafe. I think it is high time to find about Nagi's true nature! Should this time arrive as a fact about two spirits being in her body, a exorcism must be done.

GET RID OF SHIT blagging Nagi body! Let's get rid of that which is impure but should Nagi be a Tengu or fake, I still stand by Nagi side and God that which would be that Nagi would never have ill intentions. Nagi always at worst had mischief which is why it makes me think of Tengu of Kami Kitsune since they trick a lot. I do not know if Tengus can be females but Kitsune spirits have been shown to have female appearances.

i didn't really understand Hakua's father's speech either.. I actually just let go of it.. such technically religious terms just take too much time to research.. so i watched it with subs again..
to be honest, i don't really know much about shinto and tengu beliefs.. your speculations might be correct..
my guess is that Nagi is the spirit of a young girl who hung herself on the shinboku during the war.. this explains why Nagi's manisfestation is the body of a teenage girl
well, either ways, Nagi seems to know who/what she is now, so the next time Jin meets her, we should have our answer..
Dec 23, 2008 10:45 AM

Jul 2008
Sad episode is sad. D;

Zange fight scene was amazing though. Loved every second of it.

Obligatory Zange screenshots
Dec 23, 2008 12:01 PM

Sep 2008
Strange episode, emotional but on the other hand I felt like something is missing... (4/5)

They totally changed the mood, I'm curious about the last episode, my rating of the whole series may depends on it. I'm not sure... what think about Kannagi now.
PaeruDec 23, 2008 12:10 PM
Dec 23, 2008 12:40 PM

Jun 2008
hmm finally watched the subs
i dont know if Nagi's really a lowly spirit...it doesn't explain the cat absorption and how Jin saw somebody who looked like Nagi when he was a kid.
I hope shes not the spirit of somebody who committed suicide, that would suck.

Hopefully the season ends well, leaving it open for a possible 2nd season.

Dec 23, 2008 1:01 PM

Nov 2008
pandaman0529 said:
i dont know if Nagi's really a lowly spirit...it doesn't explain the cat absorption and how Jin saw somebody who looked like Nagi when he was a kid.

Yeah heres hoping that nagi is indeed a god instead of just a spirit, cant wait for the last ep!! :(
Dec 23, 2008 1:28 PM
Oct 2008
I think that "Nagi" did hang her herself on the tree. And her body (or spirit) was absorbed just like the cat. And maybe the real Nagi, feeling sorry for the spirit, would allow the spirit to "manifest" within her body (that could explain the whole pregnant Nagi from last episode) from time to time. Maybe that's why "Nagi" appeared instead of the true goddess. Maybe the goddess just wanted "Nagi" to experience happy and joyful things, instead of leaving her with bad memories from the war.

I hope the next episode will clear things up. As much as I would enjoy another season, I think it would be better if we leave things like it is. I'm going to start reading the manga as soon as it's over. And I hope "Nagi" will return to her normal and cheerful self.

But one question still haunts me...If "Nagi" isn't the real goddess, why did Zange and "Nagi" say they were sisters?
Dec 23, 2008 1:59 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
looolposts XD

Anyway, episode was okay. Of course it didn't have enough Nagi, looking forward to the finale.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Dec 23, 2008 3:35 PM

Nov 2007
<3 the zanga ownage that was awesome :3

Sadly not much sighting of Nagi this episode, going to be interesting seeing how they end the series.
Dec 23, 2008 5:25 PM

Mar 2008
pandaman0529 said:

if you recall properly, the Nagi which Jin met when he was a kid is an adult (well, at least she looks taller than the Nagi we have now) the Nagi now also said she doesn't remember meeting Jin in the past..
so in conclusion, Nagi has 2 identities. the real Nagi is the God Nagi(in miko clothes), and the teen Nagi(the Nagi we have now) is the spirit of a girl who commited suicide.. there's a possibility that she was pregnant when she commited suicide?
just my speculation tho..
about the cat absorption, it seems that the God Nagi usually takes over the body when something shocking happens to Nagi.. first the cat's death, and lately Daitetsu's explanation of the cutting down of the shinboku..

Yusa said:

But one question still haunts me...If "Nagi" isn't the real goddess, why did Zange and "Nagi" say they were sisters?

yea.. that's quite hard to understand.. Nagi and Zange sensed each others presence the first time they met, meaning they must have some kind of spiritual connection..
it was explained in episode 4 that the ppl of Kannagi planted another shinboku on the other side of the river, thus, there are 2 Gods(who are sisters, originating from the same shinboku) watching over the Kannagi area.. considering this to be correct, Zange is inevitably a God..
Dec 23, 2008 5:45 PM

Oct 2007
these sudden dramatic shifts in tone can always be a drag, but this wasn't a bad episode despite really laying off the comedy and heavying up the melodrama. the conversation between jin and zange was pretty enlightening. i mean she explained more in 2 minutes than they had in 11 episodes actually.

Crimsonwill said:
Sadly not much sighting of Nagi this episode, going to be interesting seeing how they end the series.

my guess is that they're going to leave a lot of the questions unanswered (at least that's the hint i'm picking up from zange's conversation and jin's note to nagi) and focus on a happy jin x nagi reunion. perhaps they'll keep the secrets hidden for a possible second season.
Dec 23, 2008 6:51 PM

Jul 2008
I really liked this episode. It was serious and not much comedy but it was all good. One more episode.... I hope the last episode will make me like the anime even more

Dec 23, 2008 7:00 PM

Feb 2008
A decent Zange episode.

I can only hope the ending doesn't screw up the anime.
Dec 23, 2008 10:10 PM

Jul 2007
this was a rather depressing episodes...and just a day before christmas -_- plus i only get to see a couple of seconds of nagi(never mind the ed/op)

i do hope they get to end this without tears, but im not counting on it. and give us a second season of nagi sama! T_T

i dont actually care much whatever she may be, but it seems jin is affected by it somehow(maybe because he always gets pwned by nagi's antics)

in any case, i'm almost 100% sure we're gonna get a good end out of this.(and hopefully a to be continued/promise of a second season but not necessarily a cliffhanger)
Dec 23, 2008 10:19 PM

Sep 2008
i thought this was a great episode, i never expected to see this series get so emotional and im glad it did. i'm still annoyed they are cramming most of the story into 3 episodes they never should have made so much pointless comedy eps they really brought down the series for me. These past 2 eps have definately made me happier about the series and improved a lot. Unlike everyone else i sure hope they don't make a second season. I think they need to finish it with the next episode and another season will most likely ruin it for me. This is a series i believe needs to be short.
Dec 23, 2008 11:10 PM

Jan 2008
Apart from the awesome Zange fight at the beginning, this was quite a depressing episode ;__;
Dec 23, 2008 11:29 PM

Jan 2007
aero said:
Apart from the awesome Zange fight at the beginning, this was quite the depressing emo episode D:
Dec 23, 2008 11:41 PM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
oh wow. i seriously have no idea how they're going to end this...
p r o f i l e 👀
Dec 24, 2008 12:34 AM
Mar 2008
Zange kicking ass was the best. Hope Nagi lying in an alley was just a dream.

I want moree Kannagi.
Dec 24, 2008 1:36 AM

Aug 2008
Faust721 said:
aero said:
Apart from the awesome Zange fight at the beginning, this was quite the depressing emo episode D:
QFT
Dec 24, 2008 2:29 AM

Jul 2008
The world indeed rotates slower without Nagi. I'm looking forward to the finale.
Dec 24, 2008 3:25 AM

Jun 2008
Laughed my ass off at Zange's asskicking.
Dec 24, 2008 5:08 AM

Jul 2008
zanngee <3
there were a lot scenes that makes me love animes, they dont have great impact to the story or are useful, but they give me this realistic feeling i got.
When jin leave the house, close but open the door, or watch the tv swtich the channels etc
it supports this sad episode greatly.

Dec 24, 2008 5:24 AM

Feb 2008
Oh... emo episode. No Nagi today. :c
But it was really good. :3

Orkel said:
Laughed my ass off at Zange's asskicking.

That scene was awesome.
Dec 24, 2008 5:30 AM
Dec 2008
I really liked this episode, I liked that now there's a better plot and ep13 will probably be a kickass episode.

I think this anime will rise in ratings because of those last two episodes.
Dec 24, 2008 6:18 AM

Oct 2007
Lol Nagi looks like used goods when Jin was dreaming about her. Maybe she turned to a life of prostitution.

Overall emo episode but I've seen much worse.

"I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees." By Emiliano Zapata
Dec 24, 2008 6:35 AM

Dec 2007
An episode filled with drama, building up to the climax next week. It's different from what we've been used to, but it was quite good. I'm looking forward to the last episode.
Dec 24, 2008 6:39 AM

Jun 2008
Average episode.

I Hope the ending will not be bad.
Dec 24, 2008 9:32 AM

Mar 2008
Sad episode again, i really felt pity for Jin... Fortunately, everything will be solved in the last episode :)
Dec 24, 2008 2:06 PM

Oct 2008
I can say about nothing about the sadness that has overcome Jin,Nagi,everyone else,and their fans.
;_;
Dec 24, 2008 3:24 PM

Jun 2008
Awwh I miss Nagi! Zange was especially cute though, <3 I love Tsugumi and I can't wait for the finale. I would love to see what the conclusion is.
Dec 24, 2008 9:48 PM

Jul 2007
Considering the gravity of the issue, I'm actually thankful that they didn't try to insert too many jokes since it would ruin the mood.
Dec 25, 2008 8:49 PM

Aug 2008
Really melancholy. Any ep w/o Nagi is sad, really sad. The only highlight for me was learning a very important lesson. DO NOT F*CK WITH ZANGE! I think she just added 10 pts to her hotness stats.

But seriously, Nagi, come back PLEASE! This is definitely one of my fav shows of the season.
Dec 25, 2008 8:56 PM

May 2008
i really don't see how they can end it in one more episode? and i really dont wanna wait for a second season.
Dec 26, 2008 12:42 AM

Jun 2007
lonehunter88 said:
pandaman0529 said:

if you recall properly, the Nagi which Jin met when he was a kid is an adult (well, at least she looks taller than the Nagi we have now) the Nagi now also said she doesn't remember meeting Jin in the past..
so in conclusion, Nagi has 2 identities. the real Nagi is the God Nagi(in miko clothes), and the teen Nagi(the Nagi we have now) is the spirit of a girl who commited suicide.. there's a possibility that she was pregnant when she commited suicide?
just my speculation tho..
about the cat absorption, it seems that the God Nagi usually takes over the body when something shocking happens to Nagi.. first the cat's death, and lately Daitetsu's explanation of the cutting down of the shinboku..

Well considering the tree is the real Nagi (god nagi) you could say that the Nagi we see now is a spirit that took over the real Nagi's body (the tree sculpture). This is why the real Nagi can easily force the other to switch places with her. Either that or the second Nagi is a sister since the tree was cut (similar to how Zange was born).

But then again there are 3 family's protecting the shrine, so there could possibly be 3 gods; Nagi, Nagi's other self, and Zange.

The current Nagi could also be a manifestation of all the people and animals that died in the past and that where absorbed by the tree. That would explain why she didn't understand much when she was "born" into Jin's life.
Dec 26, 2008 1:01 AM

Dec 2008
Great episode! A sad one at that, and very emotional overall. The beginning was somewhat the usual atmosphere with the exception of Nagi not being around, and it was great how Zange took care of those guys and explained to Jin somewhat what the situation is like. Afterwards the episode became somewhat sad (The music, emotion, plot, actions, weather), really made it seem that you lost someone. Wonder whe Nagi is right now? And what will the outcome of the anime be? All I know is that in the next episode Jin goes "dere" or loving in this case. Can't wait to see the next one!
Dec 26, 2008 1:37 AM

Feb 2008
velcom said:
i thought this was a great episode, i never expected to see this series get so emotional and im glad it did. i'm still annoyed they are cramming most of the story into 3 episodes they never should have made so much pointless comedy eps they really brought down the series for me. These past 2 eps have definately made me happier about the series and improved a lot. Unlike everyone else i sure hope they don't make a second season. I think they need to finish it with the next episode and another season will most likely ruin it for me. This is a series i believe needs to be short.

Exactly my thoughts after watching this episode.

Kiseki said:

there were a lot scenes that makes me love animes, they dont have great impact to the story or are useful, but they give me this realistic feeling i got.
When jin leave the house, close but open the door, or watch the tv swtich the channels etc
it supports this sad episode greatly.

I totally agree. Those details made this episode very deep and realistic.

10/10
Dec 26, 2008 12:23 PM

Feb 2008
So much stuff between the lines in this episode, really did feel like you were transported as yourself into Jin's melancholy. Just the way he reinacted lots of Nagi's routines (TV), reflecting on memories (the table where Nagi got her wand stuck) and the fact he didn't answer the phone.

I need a cup of tea just to get my spirit up after that episode. It's nice to see a show can do both sad and comedic atmospheres.

5/5
Dec 26, 2008 1:15 PM

Nov 2008
LolitaDecay said:
So much stuff between the lines in this episode, really did feel like you were transported as yourself into Jin's melancholy. Just the way he reinacted lots of Nagi's routines (TV), reflecting on memories (the table where Nagi got her wand stuck) and the fact he didn't answer the phone.

I need a cup of tea just to get my spirit up after that episode. It's nice to see a show can do both sad and comedic atmospheres.

5/5

I will be honest, the flashbacks were a good part for sure in this episode. It did indeed make it better. Still so sad sad.
Dec 26, 2008 1:52 PM

Apr 2007
I loved it.

I hope Nagi doesn't come back. D:
逃げちゃ駄目だ。
Dec 26, 2008 11:54 PM

Nov 2007
a whole episode without nagi and no jokes. man was it serious.
Dec 27, 2008 9:47 AM
Oct 2008
I hope she didn't disappear completely! Terry Pratchett writes that gods can dissapear when they have no believers. And somehow all gods start as lower spirits without followers.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kannagi Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

DeadIEnd - Dec 27, 2008

222 by __FK__ »»
Feb 21, 12:36 PM

» SEASON 2 WHERE?!!!?!?

KhoaVN - Sep 24, 2023

1 by TheChainsawMan »»
Sep 24, 2023 8:55 AM

» ...I could eat three bowls of rice

formosan - Feb 12, 2009

2 by KhoaVN »»
Sep 24, 2023 7:43 AM

Poll: » Kannagi Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

dtshyk - Oct 4, 2008

159 by KhoaVN »»
Sep 24, 2023 7:38 AM

Poll: » Kannagi Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

sniW - Dec 6, 2008

176 by 3miL »»
Mar 18, 2023 12:29 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.