Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 3, 2007 9:40 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Oh man, this is twisted! Can't really say anything, the way all this is set up is creepy.

I was only a little surprised that it was Kanji's mother leaking all that information. Also I came to hate Dung Beetle even more in this episode.

Next ep should be very interesting again, can't wait to see it.
cyruzOct 3, 2007 9:44 AM

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Oct 3, 2007 4:52 PM

Jan 2007
Twisted indeed. That was one nutty backstory. Only 4 episodes left, looking forward to them.
Oct 4, 2007 4:08 AM

Aug 2007
How can anyone hate Dung Beetle. It's simply beyond understanding.

I wonder if in finding about his mother he will no longer partake in the research, and if bad things are going to happen as a result.

Oct 4, 2007 10:22 AM

May 2007
I am really curious about how the anime ends now O:
Oct 4, 2007 11:15 AM

Oct 2006
So it seems Dung Beetle is indeed Youka's brother. It was an interesting back story.. and seems this fights have been going on for ages, but I was expecting some info about the actual creators of the game. Well there's gotta be some soon since there's only 4 episodes left. Looking forward to it.
Oct 6, 2007 6:13 AM

Apr 2007
Dung Beetle is easy to hate because he's an incredible coward and a sadist. His actions when he was still human reminds me a bit of Jun early on. While Jun didn't go so far as chasing down people and beating them up, he would often make negative comments and provoke the others to keep fighting even if they didn't want to. Something or someone better kill off Dung Beetle in the next 4 episodes or I won't be happy.

I take it now that this special job Dung Beetle has lined up for Kana is to recruit new pilots on the next world. That's just too cruel for that poor little girl =\

I was hoping to learn what the purpose to all the fighting is but it looks like even Youko isn't privy to the true intentions. I wonder if Dung Beetle would know and just won't tell? Otherwise they'll need to somehow find out from the creators themselves.

I thought Yoshikawa was being saved for last because he had some extra significance when he saw the creators some odd episodes back. It looks like Dung Beetle has decided otherwise for the next episode. And as for his mother, I always suspected she wasn't being up front with the kids so I wasn't shocked when it was revealed she was leaking information. She looked concerned when her son got contracted but it's too little too late to shed tears for her after all those other children had to die.

...even a saint needs a soldier to do the dirty work.
Oct 20, 2007 1:08 AM

Apr 2007
Dung beatle must die... *on to next ep*
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 18, 2008 2:07 PM

Apr 2007
Great episode with some interesting backstory that helps finally wrap up some questions about Dung Beetle; also looks like Kanji finally pissed him off enough to have himself picked next, since IIRC Dung Beetle planned to have Ushiro next, then Kanji was going to be the last.

Dung Beetle sure is a polarizing character though, can't wait to see him bite it at the end of it all.
Aug 21, 2008 9:56 PM
Oct 2007
Nice. Hehe
Sep 6, 2008 2:45 PM

Dec 2007
Was a pretty good episode, explains the position that Machi has been forced into and a lot more of the "game".

#NBHNC
Jul 10, 2009 7:22 PM

Dec 2008
So this is an endless game, and the universe they're from isn't the 'leader' one; where is all of this really starting from, then?
Lots of questions answered, lots of new ones appear.

Dung Beetle was a wimp as a human, but that's not too surprising; when death is in front of you, you never know how you'll really act.

"Yoshikawa... You really must have a death wish, huh?"

Agreed, we'll really see if he's next or not though. Basically, he wanted him to follow them, so he had a liking to him more than of Jun, although his character is closer to the latter one. I don't think the little sister is traumatized by being taken around; she chose it for herself, and since it happened so often, she's been getting used to it especially.

And Dung Beetle hearing the entire conversation was pretty obvious, that's just like him, no?
「Godspeed You! Black Emperor」
Sep 2, 2010 4:03 AM

Mar 2008
Hakoria said:
So this is an endless game, and the universe they're from isn't the 'leader' one; where is all of this really starting from, then?
Lots of questions answered, lots of new ones appear.

Yeah I was thinking that too...

great episode
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 12, 2010 2:46 PM
Jul 2010
Now wait a minute, why didn't Kokopelli just volunteer to be the last battler? Sure, Yuu would have had to recruit another group of players, but afterwards she would be transported back to her home dimension!
Mar 23, 2011 7:02 AM

Jun 2008
tainteddonut said:
Dung Beetle is easy to hate because he's an incredible coward and a sadist.

Yeah he was a pathetic human being. Playing the tough guy and enjoying seeing his friends die but growling like a warm and crying when his time came.
Lol who was it that was saying that Dung Bettle was awesome? Hardly, his just an immature sadistic kid than never grew-up.
I do wonder though. Why did that brown Dung Beetle decided to make that specific exception for that loser? Did he find his sadistic ways perfect for him to continue the game as a Dung Beetle?

OmegaJudgement said:
How can anyone hate Dung Beetle. It's simply beyond understanding.

You mean Dung Beettle is beyond understanding? He seems pretty clear to me. Since he was human and we saw what personality he had, his an open book.

tainteddonut said:
His actions when he was still human reminds me a bit of Jun early on. While Jun didn't go so far as chasing down people and beating them up, he would often make negative comments and provoke the others to keep fighting even if they didn't want to. Something or someone better kill off Dung Beetle in the next 4 episodes or I won't be happy.

Actually i think his personality is more similar to that sadistic second kid instead of Jun. The one who thought it was special and all that. When Dung Beetle was a boy he seemed to be under the same illusion. That he was special and everything. That's why he burst into tears when he was told he wasn't the one chosen to survive.

Uncandescent said:
Now wait a minute, why didn't Kokopelli just volunteer to be the last battler? Sure, Yuu would have had to recruit another group of players, but afterwards she would be transported back to her home dimension!

That's simple. He didn't wantt his daughter to have the burden of being responsible of killing people. That's why he wanted to do both.
MonadApr 1, 2011 3:04 PM
Mar 31, 2011 5:36 PM

Oct 2009
As I thought, Yoko is just in a contract herself pretty much. Learning about Kokopeli is interesting.

Kanji is next...

And I really hope Kana doesn't have to be the one that continues finding other people...maybe they'll be able to stop the cycle once and for all, that's what I'm hoping.
Oct 31, 2011 8:07 AM

Apr 2011
Awesome to hear about their backstory, and to find out where Kokopelli came from. His wife went totally yangire there at the end, I'm surprised Dung Beetle actually saved them both instead of just severing the wife's arm or something equally brutal and sadistic.

So Dung Beetle wasn't always the little floating mouse-thing ... too bad, it seems the grey one was actually less of a douche about this whole thing. I hope he's still capable of being harmed in that form, and Jun puts a bullet in him with that gun. He'll probably keep taunting the kids even as they tore his little puppet body to fluffy shreds tho.

I don't hate Dung Beetle as a villain, but his character is certainly a hateful and despicable person. He's a great antagonist, just don't expect me to have him over for tea and crumpets :P

I hope that the whole 'the Masterminds are beyond us' isn't the last we hear bout them; I hope the Earth(s) do find a way to strike back at the sadistic 'gods' who've forced them to kill untold numbers of lives, apparently for nothing more than their own amusement.

Such an awesome show, I don't want it to end! But I couldn't bear to watch this happen to another 15 kids all over again :P Here's hoping for 'not a total downer' ending ...

5/5
Apr 20, 2012 5:26 PM
Mar 2012
I love Dung Beetle and his mundane and cowardly origins.

This whole episode was awesome. Full of revelations.

Too bad about Kanji's mother.

5/5
May 1, 2013 8:39 PM

Jan 2013
Good episode, though this anime went down from a 10 I thought it could earn after the first 5 episodes.
Jun 12, 2013 10:26 PM

Jun 2012
OK, if it only showed her memories, how the hell did she have memories of things that happened when she wasn't there? Like the conversation between Kokepelli and his wife when his wife said that they should get the other parents to contract themselves?

It all seems way too convenient...
Some parts of this post may be exaggerated.
Oct 6, 2013 7:17 AM
Nov 2012
Laraso said:
OK, if it only showed her memories, how the hell did she have memories of things that happened when she wasn't there? Like the conversation between Kokepelli and his wife when his wife said that they should get the other parents to contract themselves?

It all seems way too convenient...

Perhaps Kokepelli told her about it and the projection was simply her idea of how things went down?
Mar 4, 2014 4:23 PM

May 2012
Oh wow what a great backstory, just wow! Really impressive development actually and I do wonder what will happen next!
May 7, 2016 2:27 AM

Mar 2016
Total info dump episode. Interesting backstory for sure. How could Dung beetle go from human to that? Its like he lost all empathy.
Jan 13, 2017 4:17 AM
Aug 2014
Yuu'[s mother actually had a pretty good idea I thought, trying to contract the parents of those already dead and maybe even the parents of those still alive. I'd like to think most parents would be willing to do so, but most adult characters in this anime have been quite awful, so maybe not.
Apr 1, 2017 5:33 PM
Jan 2012
Dung Beetle and that sensei guy should be ashamed of themselves.
samofthewired said:
Total info dump episode. Interesting backstory for sure. How could Dung beetle go from human to that? Its like he lost all empathy.
Doesn't seem like he had any empathy as a human.
Oct 23, 2017 3:06 PM

Apr 2012
But who did Kokopelli choose to help though? He did contracted to save one of the kids right?
Oct 2, 2018 12:40 AM

Nov 2013
Nice to see that Koyemshi was still an adorable little douchebag when he was human. He sure was a crybaby when it was his turn to fight though.

Really makes me wonder what these dung beetles are. Are there dung beetles of all different colors that I'm not aware of?!

Why did Yuu fade into dust after her battle?

Damn, Kokopelli's wife was nuts. When she tried to take him down with her; scary stuff...

Great episode. A bit convoluted and it left a few too many questions for my liking, but I still liked it. 8/10

May 27, 2021 1:37 AM
Jun 2020
Damn this anime really turned out to be just hunger games in space, and I absolutely love it, I would prefer a story direction that actually reasonably kept characters alive and progressed towards a sequel, like a second season and they over throw the “masterminds” which is basically overthrowing the government just like hunger games, except it’s in space.

Please tell I’m not the only one with this vision right? Like this episode allowed for a story direction that can result in another iteration of bokurano except it’s no longer about the battle royales; just like how in hunger games’ final movies, it was never about the hunger games anymore but the main character overthrowing the government to end the battles once and for all. However I know this is the only season and ends the series in 4 episodes, but still.... this is wasted potential here now that I’m thinking this. But still a 9/10
May 16, 2022 6:00 PM
Sep 2017
A complete plot twist. wtf

Machi knew Koemushi all this time *mindblown*
Aug 6, 2023 8:44 AM

Dec 2022
Koyemshi is my favourite character in this anime by a mile. He's amusingly devilish and smug. Seems like he really was a human in the past as well.

Shaded Horizon

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bokurano Episode 16 Discussion

tainteddonut - Sep 9, 2007

33 by Crispydang »»
Mar 30, 2:44 AM

Poll: » Bokurano Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

cyruz - Oct 18, 2007

121 by Db_kamal »»
Oct 3, 2023 9:51 AM

» Bokurano Director Dislikes The Manga

tainteddonut - Jun 14, 2007

10 by trampler8324 »»
Sep 27, 2023 2:30 AM

Poll: » Bokurano Episode 23 Discussion

cyruz - Oct 18, 2007

33 by Archean-Return »»
Aug 6, 2023 11:09 AM

Poll: » Bokurano Episode 19 Discussion

cyruz - Oct 3, 2007

33 by Archean-Return »»
Aug 5, 2023 5:17 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.