Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 9, 2007 10:26 AM

Apr 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Another excellent episode. So many revelations! Tamotsu was 100% correct. People like Kirie are the scariest. It's always the quiet types you have to look out for. Not only did he fight like a seasoned professional, he solved who the non-contracted person was. I'm surprised I guessed right back in the episode 8 discussion about who the excluded child was although my reason ended up being completely off from the reality. I'm curious as to Machi's role now. Since she isn't contracted anymore is all she's going to do is hang around and watch everyone die one by one? Does she have to go out and find some new victims once everyone is all gone?

And the government is far too shady in this whole situation. Pressed with the truth all the prime minsiter can do is deny and then create a fall guy. It looks like the kids will have to suffer alone longer now.

EDIT: Just rewatched the ep. and completely forgot to mention one of the biggest revelations from the episode. Pic from the episode below

Now how in the world does that work out?
tainteddonutSep 9, 2007 10:57 AM

...even a saint needs a soldier to do the dirty work.
Sep 9, 2007 10:59 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Indeed the quiet are the most scary ones. I didn't know Machi was the one who's not contracted, and her being Dung-Beetle's little sister? That was unexpected as well.

To me it looks rather obvious that the Prime Minister is now creating a false truth. Was the mention that got torched his one?

Looks like we'll get to see some romance in the next episode, I'm really looking forward to more of this awesome show.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Sep 9, 2007 12:10 PM

Oct 2006
Superb episode. More unexpected revelations.
I wonder if we can really assume Dung-Beetle meant that in the literal sence. Unless she is just taking human shape somehow. Still, I don't see what's her part in this. She could have just made them take the contract and leave. So why is she still there...?
Kirie was perhaps the character I was less interested in, as it turns out he turned to be one of the best.
I guess the government actions were to be expected. There's no way they'd admit that they were aware from the beginning and that the report had leaked to the media. They had to save face somehow.
I dunno whose mansion got attacked, but I'm guessing it's was Komoda's.
Really looking forward to the next episode. Hopefully we wont way long ^_^
Sep 9, 2007 6:04 PM

Aug 2007
Thinking about it, the implications of Dungbeetle, Machi and maybe Kokopelli being related are fairly huge. If Zearth has an agent to recruit the pilots and another to assist that and then covertly watch them (I assume that is Machi's main purpose), both of whom may or may not actually be human, plus a floaty, sarcastic entity like Dungbeetle as a pilot liason, it's probably safe to assume the other robots do too; given the sophistication involved in the tech behind Zearth and so on, maybe Dungbeetle, Machi and Kokopelli are sort of mass-produced or cloned or something. Maybe they're in some way related through that process.

I thought they might do something like this with Kirie, he's such an unassuming character he virtually had to have hidden depths.

I'm so looking forward to the next episode, partly because this series is really gripping and the first thing I've seen in ages that really is keeping me guessing, but also because I want Anko to die. I've been waiting for her to be chosen ever since it emerged what a whiny cow she was; most hated character in the series without question, for me. Why did Chizu have to die so early, yet she gets to live this long? No justice in the world. Then again, isn't that one of this series' most well-conveyed points?
Sep 10, 2007 6:22 AM

Aug 2007
Finally I watched the episodes 14-16. Man, my Torrent is lame~
And I can only say that Bokurano really is one of my most favourite series at the moment. And I heared it just gets better until the actual episode (21 if I'm right).
Well, that with DungBeetle as brother is strange. Maybe he is realy a human and is controlling this robot/dungbeetle thing from afar.
One good thing of this anime is that it's almost unpredictable. I never have thought that Machi will be the one without the contract. Besides...Kirie "battled" against two mechas (because the one killed himself), so that would mean that one of the contracted will survive (because they're more pilots now than they need), am I right?
Sep 10, 2007 7:02 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Gladius said:
Besides...Kirie "battled" against two mechas (because the one killed himself), so that would mean that one of the contracted will survive (because they're more pilots now than they need), am I right?

Good call, funny that no one mentioned that so far.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Sep 10, 2007 9:54 AM

Oct 2006
cyruz said:
Gladius said:
Besides...Kirie "battled" against two mechas (because the one killed himself), so that would mean that one of the contracted will survive (because they're more pilots now than they need), am I right?

I did think about it. But we can't really take it for granted. We know it's possible for other people to become pilots later on. So technically it could be an endless battle.. (though obviously I don't think anyone would enter the contract just like that after knowing what awaits them after a battle). We also don't know how many parallel universes exit, though it's certain that there are a lot more universes than pilots otherwise the mechas that fought with Zearth wouldn't have such a low number of pilots (some of them).
Things are way to complex atm. I don't think we can assume anything for sure.
Sep 10, 2007 10:44 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Kayrhandros said:

Yes, that's true. Looking forward to see how it all unfolds. IF it does. :D

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Sep 10, 2007 11:22 AM

Oct 2006
cyruz said:
Yes, that's true. Looking forward to see how it all unfolds. IF it does. :D
It must! or I won't be satisfied :P
Sep 10, 2007 11:53 AM

Apr 2007
Kayrhandros said:
I did think about it. But we can't really take it for granted. We know it's possible for other people to become pilots later on. So technically it could be an endless battle.. (though obviously I don't think anyone would enter the contract just like that after knowing what awaits them after a battle). We also don't know how many parallel universes exit, though it's certain that there are a lot more universes than pilots otherwise the mechas that fought with Zearth wouldn't have such a low number of pilots (some of them).

True, it's complicated but I can't help but think out scenarios of what could happen.

In a sense that's true since we don't know the full circumstances of what will happen if they actually 'win' it all. Unless there was some extra caveat to their contract somewhere, Kokopelli did say there were going to be 15 battles so now it should technically end with one person still standing (other than Kana and Machi). Unless they figure out how to break the contract soon, it will be interesting to see who will be that last person standing and what will happen to him/her.

...even a saint needs a soldier to do the dirty work.
Aug 21, 2008 8:14 PM
Oct 2007
THIS is more epic than the previous one..

See, Kirie is the ultimate pilot seeing as he owned a very experienced enemy and also figured out the person who was not contracted.. A flawless victory the enemy got OMGWTFOWNED in a short amount of time, huge respect for this guy.. Gonna be a bit sad now seeing as no one to laugh at.. (I laugh when I see this guys face. No idea why -.-)

Rest in peace for now m8, although I've got a feeling that we might see all those pilot back and alive in later episodes.. Might be wrong but meh, you never know..

Couldn't care less about Machi or Dung Beetle, never really bothered with them two.. -.-
Sep 4, 2008 10:06 PM

Dec 2007
Kirie destroyed in his battle, who would've known that he would have it in him. I was kind of thinking about reviewing the first episode to see who the one who led them into the cave was but I decided to let that remain a mystery, although I doubt I would've been able to figure out that Machi was the one not contracted by it. It was kind of obvious that Kokopelli was not a regular human-being from this planet but I didn't think that Machi was as involved as she was, it probably should've been expected since she didn't really seem to know anyone before the camp and they still refer to her by family name. I also think that she's just taking human form and can probably has no real body, as for being Dung Beetle's sister I can't wait to see what that's about.

#NBHNC
Nov 18, 2008 5:31 PM

Jan 2008
Hmm..a lot happened in this episode. Kirie-kun was an awesome pilot though, haha.
Jul 10, 2009 5:10 PM

Dec 2008
I don't think you can call them more experienced pilots; the only thing they have more knowledge of, is their conditions, fate, and responsibility. Everytime it's their first time actually piloting the thing; the actual fighting experience is null.

I'm glad we finally got to see Zearth jump/move quickly, I was starting to think it was impossible; what better way to show it than using Kirie, who's the least in good shape? Very nice decision.

Dung Beetle having that girl as a sister was a nice revelation; I'm interested in knowing if their universe somehow has a higher standing, as it CAN travel to parallel worlds and cause these events/transport huge masses. It must be quite the outstanding place.

It was now made obvious that Dung Beetle can decide who goes next; maybe his sister can to. He didn't want her to die, so he decided to kill off blondie. The next battle, if she's still alive then, will be a VERY interesting development. Dung Beetle is loving this, and he won't die if this universe dies, I'm quite certain. He's in our place, and he sees this as a pure alternative-universes reality game show.

An amazing episode, and Bokurano keeps getting better.

Something I've thought of too, maybe the last standing, or the most outstanding (considered dead) fighters will be dead in this world, but will go in Dung Beetle's alternative world? Or, even if winning, they destroy the universe (they can; thinking the opposite is far fetched) simply because it'd be a "not bad, well, you get to die last, good job!".
HakoriaJul 10, 2009 5:27 PM
「Godspeed You! Black Emperor」
Jan 27, 2011 5:00 PM

Mar 2009
The Kirie battle was boring, nothing much. Looking forward to the next ep.
Mar 31, 2011 2:19 PM

Oct 2009
So the capabilities of Zearth are shown in this episode. All this time I always thought that it was just sluggish, but it depends on the pilot. I guess Kirie unlocked its true potential or something.

I'm not surprised that Machi is the one not contracted. I had a feeling it was her. Something about her just seemed above everyone else, she just seems too calm all the time. Plus, I remember she was the one that got her hand forced onto that thing when they were all contracting.

But to also find out she's from another universe is a big twist. And...Dung Beetle's sister. wat. But I'm sure that she has her own reasons why she lured everyone, for all we know, she could be stuck in another contract or something in her world.

Aiko slapping her was pretty awesome though. I'm sad to see that she is the next pilot, she is one of my favorites. For some reason I always had the feeling that she would be one of the very last ones to pilot, but I guess not.
Oct 30, 2011 8:07 AM

Apr 2011
Kirie turned out to be quite the badass! I wonder if his above-average abilities as a pilot was because he had two chances to synchronise with Zearth, so when the time came to actually move it moved even better than his human body. I'm glad his mom managed to get a job, and I hope that losing her son doesn't drive her to attempt suicide again.

I had spoiled the fact that the recruiters are from other worlds, but hadn't realized Machi was one of them (or was the one not under contract). And Dung Beetle's imouto at that! I hope to hell we get an explanation for that. Maybe Dung Beetle's true form is humanoid too, he just controls the floating rat-thing remotely. Or maybe he (and Machi possibly) are both energy beings with no physical body in their normal state. He certainly seems to be a higher sort of being, with his godlike technology (even if his personality leaves much to be desired).
Apr 16, 2012 2:49 PM
Mar 2012
Awesome. An almost perfect episode. Revelations upon revelations. Machi is in hot water now. I also wonder what Dung Beetle's exact role in all of this is?

The government reacted in a pretty expected manner. But who was that throwing molotov cocktails at the end there?

Kirie's fighting skills were pretty damned impressive.

5/5 for sure.
Jul 6, 2012 2:36 PM

Jan 2009
cyruz said:
Gladius said:

I thought it was even out because Koku(however it is spelled) died before he could get his chance to fight.
Apr 30, 2013 1:45 AM

Jan 2013
What?????????? 94.44% 5/5
That's crazy talk. No episode has been rated close to that highly this series.
It was a great episode though
Mar 4, 2014 1:45 PM

May 2012
Just amazing! What an epic character twist, really epic development I must say and well I wonder what will happen next!
Jun 9, 2014 8:43 PM
Oct 2013
I actually was so proud of Kirie in this episode. Seeing how talented he was in battle made me tear up... such a talented and kind person is gone. He's also quite smart for figuring out Machi wasn't contracted. I really thought it was Aiko and I think even Aiko thought she might not be contracted since her hand was forced into it.
Jun 9, 2014 8:49 PM
Oct 2013
burntlettuce said:
cyruz said:

I thought it was even out because Koku(however it is spelled) died before he could get his chance to fight.

I also think another pilot will be saved because remember there are now too many pilots. We now know Machi isn't contracted and neither is Kana. Plus Tanaka and the other officer signed the contract in place of Koku and Chizu's unborn baby. With them we had just the right amount of pilots. But with Kirie piloting 2 battles now we can assume someone else won't have to. Unless there is a future plot twist that changes that...
Jan 30, 2015 6:09 PM
Apr 2013
Wow. Just wow. What an amazing episode.
I was certain Kirie wouldn't disappoint us. Since the very beginning, he was always so quiet and in his own world, but he only needed to realize certain things. His mecha battle was freaking awesome too. Not only did he know exactly what to do, he had perfect swift movements. I agree with what everything said about it here.
As for Machi... I'd never imagine she was the one without a contract. Kokopelli fought the first battle, but did he die? He never really appeared again... Could Kokopelli be Dung Beetle??
Also, Machi was obligated to put her hand in the device anyway... Unless this has been planned since ever.. That would explain why Kana-chan's always called to the battles.
Jan 11, 2016 1:13 PM

Feb 2014
Started off slow, but ended in a bang! Highly enjoy the revelations so far, very carefully constructed.
I wonder what Machi will do in the future episodes. Need more on Kokopelli as well, hopefully we get answers.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 7, 2016 12:30 AM

Mar 2016
This episode just left me with so many questions about kokopelli and machi. This show is amazing, so glad I finally got around to watching it.
Jan 11, 2017 2:08 PM
Aug 2014
I was kind of hoping that Kiries efficient battle would mean he hadn't spent all his lift energy, but I guess once you start moving it your dead no matter what. Not really sure what the Diet member was expecting when he used a secret document to attack the government, of course they were going to try and discredit him and the document.
Apr 1, 2017 3:55 PM
Jan 2012
Kirie was such a boss piloting that mecha.

So Machi is from a different world. I get why Aiko would be mad at her, but I don't think Machi had any choice on the matter. She was probably forced to recruit the new pilots. Or not!

Good stuff.
Sep 30, 2018 10:14 PM

Nov 2013
I hated Kirie after giving up on their universe last episode, but this episode redeemed him quite a bit. Seeing Kirie manuever Zearth with such perfection was awesome. A shame such a great pilot had to die.

To think Machi is Koyemshi's sister, let alone isn't even from the same universe; this series gets more and more twisted by the episode.

Amazing episode. The plot twists are really keeping me on my toes. 9/10

Oct 23, 2020 1:34 PM
Oct 2019
Just Wow... Never seen this much plot twists in an anime as in this one... And also the second ending theme slaps...
May 17, 2021 1:08 AM
Jun 2020
ThunderGod69 said:
Just Wow... Never seen this much plot twists in an anime as in this one... And also the second ending theme slaps...

After the ending to this episode, imma have to agree with you there. The multiverse twist made me upset and hate in the show but credit is due for have active bad smart this narrative is to present legit plot twists and true surprises time after time while killing off its characters.

Kirie was someone I barely acknowledged and didn’t even like but like every other character: was given great depth and likability before their passing. Color me impressed with the writers of this show consistently making new characters good in one or two episodes, the writer should make a narrative that can have main characters last at least , but yeah this show I back to a 9/10 for me,
always has been actually
Oct 11, 2021 6:42 AM

Jul 2016
that guy?! THAT GUY IS THE BEST PILOT? where did he learn these skills? mans doesn't even look like he works out, much less sports or acrobatics. yet he was spinning, dodging, and jumping into the sky all at once. even had the cockiness to go "i was lucky that they were weak." wym weak, you were just too op? and savage... he was like i'm about to die guys... but not before i expose her SNAKE ASS
i don't get how that's koemushi's sister though. was he originally human? seriously sad seeing that the other robot was this close to winning their world, out of 15 (probably), 2 were still alive. they just had to get matched up with our boy huh

r.i.p best piloting candidate ever. probably a video game prodigy. i had hope that he would live, but he looked drained of blood. used his last words to smoke out the traitor instead of some inspirational speech. he will always be legendary.

what? her being a traitor was a plot twist? the biggest plot twist was clearly kirie's power. i'm right
Aug 5, 2023 2:11 PM

Dec 2022
The last thing the enemy mechs need is to be even more of a nonthreatening trifle to deal with.

Koyemshi's sister certainly looks different from him. Maybe he was a former human at some point.

Shaded Horizon

Mar 30, 2:44 AM
Jan 2021
last episode i watched, cool show

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bokurano Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

cyruz - Oct 18, 2007

121 by Db_kamal »»
Oct 3, 2023 9:51 AM

» Bokurano Director Dislikes The Manga

tainteddonut - Jun 14, 2007

10 by trampler8324 »»
Sep 27, 2023 2:30 AM

Poll: » Bokurano Episode 23 Discussion

cyruz - Oct 18, 2007

33 by Archean-Return »»
Aug 6, 2023 11:09 AM

Poll: » Bokurano Episode 20 Discussion

cyruz - Oct 3, 2007

28 by Archean-Return »»
Aug 6, 2023 8:44 AM

Poll: » Bokurano Episode 19 Discussion

cyruz - Oct 3, 2007

33 by Archean-Return »»
Aug 5, 2023 5:17 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.