Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jun 14, 2007 12:34 PM

Apr 2007
Anime News Network has an interesting article concerning changes between the Bokurano manga and anime versions. Morita came clean and stated his changes were due to his dislike of the manga and for any fans of the original canon material to not continue watching.

I have heard the story between the two differed at points but I don't know how extensive these changes are. From the sound of it, the story will essentially be rewritten from here on out. Going by what's seen in the series so far I can only guess the manga is much darker so now I'm very interested in reading it to see just what it is Morita dislikes. I still find the anime enjoyable though so I'll probably give the manga a shot when I'm done watching the whole thing. I don't want to possibly spoil myself if Morita decides to still use some major plot elements in the manga.

...even a saint needs a soldier to do the dirty work.
Jun 14, 2007 12:53 PM

Oct 2006
Well... I didn't like what I read... Honestly, the reason Bokurano had been raising spots on my ongoing series was the fact that they did not fear to show "violence" so to speak (psychological mostly and phisical too). And I was starting to see some plot lines that could well turn this series into a master piece... When someone thinks he/she can re-write an original work, he/she already ruined it from the start...(let's hope I'm wrong) And for what's worth... when you start a project, you should know what you're getting yourself into, and don't go... "heh.. me no likes this, gonna change it 'coz me cans do bette...r" ^^

"Is it all right if I save the children by (…)?" (Morita omitted part of his question from his blog to avoid spoilers.) Kitoh responded, "It's all right as long as you don't use magic." - I had a sarcastic laugh at this.

I'll also have to read the manga once the show is finished. But right now my expectations for the show just dropped from the top to the bottom. And it's better that way...
Jun 14, 2007 1:03 PM

May 2007
I feel the same way. I was disappointed when Black Cat and Full Metal Alchemist did not follow the manga. It made me have a dislike for any anime that didn't follow the manga closely enough.

I really liked the direction the series was going up to now. How much of that will change, I don't know yet. Let's hope that Morita doesn't butcher it with is "better scenario".

Finding out that Claymore is still an ongoing manga series makes me a little nervous about the anime's direction, too.

Still, I need to keep an open mind and continue watching. It might not be all that bad. I'm hoping.
Jun 30, 2007 3:20 AM

Aug 2006
here is what Wikipedia has to say about it:

I love the manga. Perhaps one of the best manga's I have ever read. Its a great exploration into different parts of the human psyche. Anyway, like the last paragraph from that wiki article suggests, I'm dropping the anime.
Jun 30, 2007 12:28 PM

Mar 2007
Early on it seemed to be a great adaptation, now with this "I hate the manga" type of attitude I expect a typical Gonzo ending... which is going to be terrible.
May 4, 2009 12:02 PM

Jul 2008
running_lemon said:
Hiroyuki Morita, director of the anime series, in answer to the many criticisms of the divergences between the anime series and the manga, has admitted on his blog that he dislikes the original story, and has in some ways, been making changes to the plot with negative intentions towards it.

Wow, what an idiot. If he hates the manga so much then why the hell did he direct the anime? If I was the author of the manga I wouldn't allow him to destroy my material. Nothing good can possibly come from a programme or film directed by someone who hates the original material it's adapted from.
I write about manga → morningroo.com
and movies → letterboxd.com/ugla
Apr 20, 2010 1:46 PM

Jan 2010
I haven't finished seeing the anime yet but the manga is pretty good. dark but good.
Jan 29, 2011 7:39 PM

Mar 2009
Fucking stupid director.. if he dislikes the manga so much, he shouldn't have even bothered directing the anime and ruining it in the process.
Feb 10, 2011 1:43 PM

Apr 2008
I got a feeling,after I watched this other series, Ore no Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai, that is may be all about the money,not the interest of those making the show. if you've seen that show,you know what I mean.
May 25, 2021 4:26 PM
Aug 2020
Did the director get forced to take over this project? Why the hell would they even take this on?
Sep 27, 2023 2:30 AM

Jan 2012
Funny thing, I actually like anime version more. I mean, changing source material because you don't like it is strange and wrong in every way, but changes were not as big as I thought they would be and the story flow is actually improved. I guess, the main problem is a phrasing director used to justify these changes, he is def not the nicest person out there, but I gotta admit he did a great job on directing the show even with all these bad intentions.
trampler8324Sep 27, 2023 2:06 PM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bokurano Episode 16 Discussion

tainteddonut - Sep 9, 2007

33 by Crispydang »»
Mar 30, 2:44 AM

Poll: » Bokurano Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

cyruz - Oct 18, 2007

121 by Db_kamal »»
Oct 3, 2023 9:51 AM

Poll: » Bokurano Episode 23 Discussion

cyruz - Oct 18, 2007

33 by Archean-Return »»
Aug 6, 2023 11:09 AM

Poll: » Bokurano Episode 20 Discussion

cyruz - Oct 3, 2007

28 by Archean-Return »»
Aug 6, 2023 8:44 AM

Poll: » Bokurano Episode 19 Discussion

cyruz - Oct 3, 2007

33 by Archean-Return »»
Aug 5, 2023 5:17 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.