Forum Settings
Forums

Reviews and fanboys can do more harm then good...

New
Jan 29, 2013 7:59 PM

Jan 2008
You are scrolling through anime websites to look for something good to watch. You read as several people say "blah blah" anime is the best he/she has, a must see, and/or how all around great the anime is. So you decide to watch it, and why not, you heard so many great things about it, so at the very least, it should be good. So, you watch the series and, by an unfortunate turn of events, it was terrible or barely average. After you finish or drop the anime, you try to understand how people liked "blah blah" anime as much as they did and truly believe the anime doesn't deserve the hype it has gotten.

I believe, it wasn't particularly the anime that disappointed you, but rather the anime not meeting the established expectation that was set for you before you even started watching it, which was set from reading reviews and hearing the voices of fans. What i am getting at, is by simply reading a review or hearing a fan praising an anime, makes it that much harder for you, yourself, to enjoy that same anime, especially if you possess even the slightest bit of cynicism.

When you start watching an anime that everyone says is the best, you immediately start looking for reasons why it ISN'T. While to what degree this is taken is usually only apparent amongst elitist, we all do this in some way or another. We all have different views as to what we believe is good, and when someone says a particular anime is "the best" we go into the anime with a close-minded and negative perspective because we are trying to protect what we believe is "the best".

TL;DR Reading reviews and fanboys praising an anime, can put you into a negative state of thought and create unreasonable expectations for the anime, which, in turn, can ruin your experience.

There goes my rant, curious on how others feel about reviews and fanboys.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 29, 2013 8:00 PM
Jul 2018
I too wish that there more reviewers like roriconfan.
Jan 29, 2013 8:15 PM

Oct 2012
I have a bad habit of reading some reviews before I start watching an anime. In the end, I keep putting myself in a position of not enjoying it as much as I thought I would. Interesting point indeed about immediately looking for the things it ISN'T, I think I do this subconsciously.
Went into Clannad & After Story without knowing it was sad --> FAV
Went into Mawaru Penguindrum after someone said it sucked, so I went in the anime thinking, "well, let's see how I will love this!" --> FAV
Went into Ergo Proxy after reading the sentence from a review of it being confusing and a challenge to watch, "let's see how I can prove this guy wrong, I'll understand it somehow!" --> FAV
ShoryuJan 29, 2013 8:31 PM

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.
Jan 29, 2013 8:18 PM

Aug 2011
I smell SAO.
Jan 29, 2013 8:32 PM

Apr 2011
The only reviews I have a problem with are those that define the emotions you are expected to exhibit during or after viewing.
“Suppose, gentlemen, that man is not stupid.”
Jan 29, 2013 8:38 PM

May 2010
i only read reviews after watching
Jan 29, 2013 8:41 PM

Nov 2011
Good thing I dont really read reviews.
The Art of Eight
Jan 29, 2013 8:50 PM
Sep 2011
When do fanboys ever do anything but harm?
Jan 29, 2013 8:58 PM

Jan 2013
RLinksoul said:

When they're fanatics and keep buying stuff from the show (or anything related). It makes the developers rich, the show continues, the fanboy get what he wanted. Everybody is happy (unless your pocket.)

Jan 29, 2013 8:58 PM

Nov 2008
Same goes with negative reviews, you have a look at a few of them and at the MAL score and take it with a grain of salt. Recommendations are a more reliable way of telling you would like something but even then you should look at the genre and watch the first episode, everyone likes different things. I find I like way more anime that are rated 7 than anything else. A lot of higher scores are just fanboys jacking it at how intricate a plot line is (ie boring)
http://www.youtube.com/swiftstylez - My AMV's. I would really appreciate any comments and ratings :]

Jan 29, 2013 9:01 PM
Sep 2012
Just ignore them as much as possible. Good thing you weren't here during the K-on days. Oh god those kyoani/k-on fanboys. I'm speechless.
Jan 29, 2013 9:19 PM

Oct 2012
Finding accurate reviews is a skill in itself. I usually look for a bunch of different dissenting reviews and try to extrapolate why someone would feel a certain way based on another person's reviews. But more importantly, let the reviews guide your interest for what series to watch, but don't let them cloud your judgment. I don't consider myself a cynic, but I don't trust anyone well enough to get really excited over a series. I watched Magica Madoka, Mawaru Penguindrum, and Gurren Lagan with great skepticism...
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jan 29, 2013 9:44 PM

Apr 2011
012yArthur0 said:
RLinksoul said:

When they're fanatics and keep buying stuff from the show (or anything related). It makes the developers rich, the show continues, the fanboy get what he wanted. Everybody is happy (unless your pocket.)

What a fantastic way to put it.
“Suppose, gentlemen, that man is not stupid.”
Jan 29, 2013 9:53 PM

Jun 2008
I think people who read reviews often just forget the obvious things these review describes for the anime:

I've read some of the TTGL reviews and the ones on the front page states pretty clear it's about giant robots, epicness, chaos, and over-the-top action.

In other words, most people who are into these sort of thing will tend to like it. For those who read the review and somehow managed to gloss over these very simple but descriptive words and just saw something like "masterpiece" and expected one seems unintentionally ignorant.

I generally agree though, that watching a show with the WRONG EXPECTATIONS will lead you to great disappointment. My recent victim is Katanagatari. A show I believed would have action (well it was in the genre AND it was about a TALE OF SWORDS, the word EPIC was even included in the synopsis), only to have a show with 40~min of random dialogue and 1min of action.

In all honesty, if I HAD read Archeon's review, I probably would've just ignored it, since he precisely mention how the dialogue might put off some of the viewers.

So I think good reviews would do more good than harm, if people actually paid attention to what they fundamentally tried to say and whether or not its actually a good review - which may be difficult to tell, but above 50% helpful is usually helpful.
Jan 29, 2013 11:32 PM

Dec 2012
I don't mind reading reviews before watching an anime, but I don't always do.
"Only one with the courage
to shoulder the burden
of their own fate can
be called a hero.."

Jan 29, 2013 11:50 PM

Dec 2012
I understand what you mean but i guess it depends how you view an anime when you watch it.

If you over analyze and mentally point out it's flaws you're gonna have a bad time.

Anime is just entertainment, i watch it with no expectations and shrug off any flaws.

Only time anime truly sucks to me is when it's so boring you have to drag yourself through each episode, or when the characters are just mad annoying.

Other peoples opinions rarely come in to the equation for me.

Jan 29, 2013 11:51 PM

Jan 2013
I try to mine for gold in it, but still everything's the same, so there's no point.
You know what. Anime is always equal. When you look at that kinda stuff, you only see hentai everywhere.
I mean Steins Gate is like ya know Makise and that idiot main character lab-coat guy sewing their lab coats together so they can have children without people seeing. And the reason they keep having to jump back in time and why CERN is so mad at them is cause they have too many damn children.
Jan 30, 2013 12:02 AM

Feb 2010
Usually the first paragraph of a reviews quickly tells me if it is worth continuing.
Not that I read reviews very much at all though. I know what kind of shows I like and aside from that I like to know as little as possible when I start something.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jan 30, 2013 12:28 AM

Oct 2012
It's more profitable to avoid reviews before watching a show. Leaves you with an untarnished and un-influenced opinion on that show.
After all, something you have no idea about and enjoyed > something you knew before is good and enjoyed.
Jan 30, 2013 2:13 AM

Oct 2010
And what do you want? People ranting on flaws they don't perceive? I don't understand this thread.
Jan 30, 2013 2:28 AM

Feb 2012
Well, it's even worse if the writer doesn't understand what he has just watched and goes on a rant spree nitpicking about meaningless things.
Jan 30, 2013 2:38 AM

Dec 2012
petalshreds said:

Same.

Jan 30, 2013 3:55 AM

Jan 2012
i used to read loads of reviews before starting an anime, and I too found myself shying away from certain anime because some of the reviews were really negative.. and then i just thought.. screw it, why am i letting other people's judgments affect my own opinion and just watched a few shows anyway and most of them I actually came to enjoy or think that it wasn't as bad as what other people made out!

So now I read the reviews after I have watched the show and see what they have to sat and whether or not I agreed
Jan 30, 2013 4:06 AM

Nov 2012
I don't see what's the big deal with fanboys. Just let them be because they don't give a shit except for butthurt. Also every anime have some fanboys
Jan 30, 2013 4:47 AM

Aug 2011
That's why critics are good at their job, humans are subjective creatures, and most reviews are at least biased to one side, a two sided review is what separates it from the rest, but a true review is pretty rare on the internet
kek
Jan 30, 2013 4:57 AM
May 2009
I only read reviews of shows, I've watched. To see if the reviewer saw what I saw.
I only use recommendations on this site. To find shows with similarities that I might also enjoy.

Though its mainly manga I use recommendations for. Since I watch all anime that is released.
Jan 30, 2013 5:36 AM

Nov 2010
and people saying something is a piece of shit doesn't aply then?

in the end it's YOU that decides if a show is good/decent/bad/crap

i followd the hype a few times and most of the times it turned out i just didn't like the show one bit (death note for example) others i ignored the shitload of crap it was getting and enjoyed it (SAO for example)

i only read reviews when i want to drop a show, just to see if there's a review that can confirm the show isn't getting any better. never again will i listen to haters nor fans again.
Jan 30, 2013 5:52 AM

May 2009
I read the summary first and then look for the negative reviews that aren't trollish if Archaeon's or tehnominator's review isn't available.

If I find the negative reviews not so bad, I might give it a go. Positive glowing reviews rarely give me the review that I want.
Jan 30, 2013 6:05 AM

Aug 2012
People feel safe in front of computer, so they can act stupid or like asshole. I mean cmon, evryone interpretating things in his own way, if someone thinks the show I've liked is bad, its okay I dont really mind, but please dont molest me becouse that lol.
Jan 30, 2013 6:10 AM

Dec 2011
I like to go in to a series with zero expectations however in reality I almost always end up reading just enough to know what genres to expect. I try not to hold any value in the ratings at all.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 30, 2013 10:51 AM
Jan 2013
Fanboys do as much as much harm as elitists who are cynical about every anime. They are just types of fans that you are bound to encounter and they create expectations for series you might enjoy if you didn't have those expectations going in.

Reviews are fine, just find a reviewer who is entertaining and possibly has similar tastes in anime to you.
Jan 30, 2013 10:56 AM

Apr 2011
Whenever I look up a new anime to watch, I first read the synopsis and then a review if available. Not once has it worsened the impact of the anime on me. Sometimes, I even like the anime more so than I imagined. I don't want to waste time watching things I don't like, so reviews are often my best-friend as they can save 24 valuable minutes I would have otherwise been wasted on something I didn't like, though this has yet to happen to me so far.

As far as fanboys go, it's just like Jellz said. Just take a look at SAO. Why do you think it retains such a high rating? People hate fanboys, but people hate haters even more (if that made any sense).
Jan 30, 2013 11:01 AM

Feb 2010
The only anime I will defend to my grave is Clannad, and maybe Toradora. I see where some people come from but I know what you mean OP. Sometimes people can take things to far.
Jan 30, 2013 11:16 AM

Dec 2012
012yArthur0 said:
RLinksoul said:

Fun fact, the word 'fan' is actually deprived from the word 'fanatic'. So if you are calling yourself a fan of anything, you're essentially calling yourself a fanatic of said thing.
The forums are dark, and full of ego.
Jan 30, 2013 11:28 AM

Sep 2011
petalshreds said:

Basically this.

I don't want to go into an anime pre-mind-blown OR going into an anime expecting shit.
Jan 30, 2013 11:42 AM
Feb 2012
I agree with you, I only look for what's good for the most part and if it sells what it has to offer, then I'll be impressed. Note that I rarely rate anything below a 5.
Jan 30, 2013 11:50 AM

Dec 2012
"HEY, THIS ANIME IS AWESOME! IT WILL MAKE YOU CRY WITH ITS LOVABLE AND BEAUTIFUL CHARACTERS, GRAPHICS, AND SOUNDTRACK! IF YOU DON'T, YOU'RE INHUMAN! WATCH IT OR YOU'RE FIRED! GURREN LAGANN IS LAME COMPARED TO IT!"
-An example of moeblob anime fanboys who haven't watched anything like Transformers. I didn't even watch Kanon after the first episode due to having found my true anime interests (pure action and explosions instead of sad drama involving characters who don't do anything.)
Jan 30, 2013 1:04 PM
Mar 2008
It has come to a point where reading till the end to discern if the stance on a subject is accurate or not on an "objective" level, or just pure bull from beggining to end. Reviewing the reviews. We have to read them thoroughly and compare between them pragmatically to see if they are right (not that they ever are) and the untold reason behind their words (which is easy for me to find). It's bad enough that they waste their time writing them, but they also waste our time by making us reading them and making us think negatively. They should change their opinions for a better one, but at the end of the day, the only thing we can do is judge this people and their onions because that's the right, smart and bigger thing to do. Bad reviews usually give me efralation. good reviews make me see God. HE told me he likes me, except for that.
onewithflanJan 30, 2013 1:24 PM
Jan 30, 2013 1:05 PM

Jun 2012
I hardly read any reviews and I don't listen to fanboys. Instead of whining about things you cannot change adjust your own expectations and watch what you want to watch with an open mind.
Jan 30, 2013 2:07 PM

Feb 2005
I can usually determine whther I'll end up agreeing with most fanbases and reviews riht away, so even if I accidentally ingest some opinions, I usually don't have any problem with it.
MaedhrostheTall said:
This makes me want to delete the noobish reviews that my past self wrote a year ago though. He really is a moron sometimes.
PAST ME IS ALWAYS TERRIBLE EVEN WHEN I LITERALLY JUST FINISHED BEING HIM
Jan 30, 2013 2:51 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
I think it's you're easy-to-manipulate mind that's doing the harm. Nothing with fans praising a show they like. It's up to you if you want to let that ruin your anime.
Jan 30, 2013 9:07 PM

Apr 2011
RGM2013 said:
"HEY, THIS ANIME IS AWESOME! IT WILL MAKE YOU CRY WITH ITS LOVABLE AND BEAUTIFUL CHARACTERS, GRAPHICS, AND SOUNDTRACK! IF YOU DON'T, YOU'RE INHUMAN! WATCH IT OR YOU'RE FIRED! GURREN LAGANN IS LAME COMPARED TO IT!"
-An example of moeblob anime fanboys who haven't watched anything like Transformers. I didn't even watch Kanon after the first episode due to having found my true anime interests (pure action and explosions instead of sad drama involving characters who don't do anything.)

Talking shit about "moeblob" fans with that avatar, what wonderful logic.

Also, you are are sad, sad existence, my friend. If you find sad dramas having characters do nothing, then you are really mistaken. By the way, by definition of "fanboy", you fit right into it. But one thing where you're better than most is how you didn't diss on the "moeblob" fans for having a taste different than yours.
Jan 30, 2013 9:16 PM

Jan 2012
Synrite said:
You are scrolling through anime websites to look for something good to watch. You read as several people say "blah blah" anime is the best he/she has, a must see, and/or how all around great the anime is. So you decide to watch it, and why not, you heard so many great things about it, so at the very least, it should be good. So, you watch the series and, by an unfortunate turn of events, it was terrible or barely average. After you finish or drop the anime, you try to understand how people liked "blah blah" anime as much as they did and truly believe the anime doesn't deserve the hype it has gotten.

I believe, it wasn't particularly the anime that disappointed you, but rather the anime not meeting the established expectation that was set for you before you even started watching it, which was set from reading reviews and hearing the voices of fans. What i am getting at, is by simply reading a review or hearing a fan praising an anime, makes it that much harder for you, yourself, to enjoy that same anime, especially if you possess even the slightest bit of cynicism.

When you start watching an anime that everyone says is the best, you immediately start looking for reasons why it ISN'T. While to what degree this is taken is usually only apparent amongst elitist, we all do this in some way or another. We all have different views as to what we believe is good, and when someone says a particular anime is "the best" we go into the anime with a close-minded and negative perspective because we are trying to protect what we believe is "the best".

TL;DR Reading reviews and fanboys praising an anime, can put you into a negative state of thought and create unreasonable expectations for the anime, which, in turn, can ruin your experience.

There goes my rant, curious on how others feel about reviews and fanboys.

I completely agree with you. That's why I don't take MAL's rating system seriously... Or rather any rating system or review. Mainly because if I'm going to like something, I want to have a bit of experience in it before deciding if I like or dislike it. The only reason I'd read a review about something is to get an idea of what something is about and what it offers. Other than that I don't really care for reviews. Also I don't mind reading reviews and things like that because I like to read about something that I like that more people like as well.

That's pretty much it though, I just tend to lean towards my own opinion whenever watching a show or buying/playing a new game. I don't need someone else deciding my opinions for me.

RGM2013 said:

Gonna get hung for this one but.... I honestly don't care for Transformers.... The movies are fun to watch sometimes..... but the anime just... I don't know... I just never really got into it.... I guess because the transformers were too human for me. They talked and did stuff by themselves. Not only that but the artstyles and colors they used reminded me of the power rangers fusionbots....Just seems "TOO" cartoony. Speaking of fusionbots... I hate whenever animes pull them out and they look so generic "Oh this one is shaped like a bird!". Why can't they all be awesome fusions without all the colors of the rainbow like Vandread, Vandread is the perfect example of the way to do fusion-type mechas.
AhriJan 30, 2013 9:23 PM
Jan 30, 2013 10:37 PM

Sep 2012
Well to be fair, this only has validity if the people making those reviews don't actually believe what they're saying and are just trying to make something seem better than they themselves think it is. If someone loves something and then someone else hates it, neither of them are objectively correct. It's strictly opinion based. But if someone thinks something is average or mediocre, but says it incredible, for what ever reason they may have, then that's misleading and silly.

But again, if something is highly rated it doesn't mean that every one is guaranteed to enjoy it simply because many others did. In that case I think it's mostly just the viewer's own expectations that lead to their disappointment.
Jan 31, 2013 6:00 AM

Feb 2010
OP, how did you get to 600 completed anime without learning how not to be bothered by this? The noobs keep paying attention to the scores while we let our judgment rule.
Jan 31, 2013 6:39 AM

Aug 2011
Akito_Kinomoto said:
OP, how did you get to 600 completed anime without learning how not to be bothered by this? The noobs keep paying attention to the scores while we let our judgment rule.

Ignorant is bliss, 600 animes...he probably watch everyone of them without much discrimination and didnt give a fuck about fanboys in the first place, something I would have done if not I actually have standards to watch animes that I like, its a good thing actually, at least now hes awake to the "realistic" side of the world
kek
Jan 31, 2013 6:48 AM

Sep 2008
Different people have different taste, that's all.

For me as a beginner for reviewing anime, I only review based on my opinion on anime. I only comment on anime based on what was good and what went terrible wrong. Still have a lot to learn, thou.
Jan 31, 2013 7:08 AM
Feb 2012
RGM2013 said:

Terrible hypocrisy at its finest.

NGE Review: OMG I RELATE TO THIS CHARACTER ITS SO BEAUTIFUL BAWWWWW IM GOING TO KILL MYSELF BECAUSE SHE DIED BAWWWWWWW
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Is watching a show for the cute girl weird?

fallout45 - 39 minutes ago

10 by FanofAction »»
29 seconds ago

Poll: » Have y'all seen Run with the Wind?

MillerEvans23 - Apr 17

27 by bucciest »»
30 seconds ago

» Have you ever felt so satisfied after finishing certain anime that you don't even want its sequel?

Rinrinka - Apr 12

39 by bucciest »»
3 minutes ago

» Do i have to put a show i ranked 10/10 in my favorites?

FarWalker - Apr 22

40 by bucciest »»
5 minutes ago

» Is there hope for classic super robots?

Timeline_man - 2 hours ago

4 by Ex-Aid »»
5 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.