Forum Settings
Forums

Do you find it difficult to engage in intellectual conversations with people in general?

New
Jan 4, 2013 11:12 AM
Dec 2012
In all modesty, I am fairly intellectually astute, I could say I am always striving to become a better person and expand my universe of knowledge and understanding by exploring various fields not necessarily pertinent to my future career or life (Thanks pax967 and Allecto)

I think people nowadays are too narrowminded about the stuff that they're totally off about, so they'll never grow.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jan 4, 2013 11:14 AM
Jul 2012
Welcome back.

and yes since I have a short attention span, and find it hard to talk about things that dont interest me.
Jan 4, 2013 11:14 AM
Dec 2011
WELCOME BACK
aiueowaveJan 4, 2013 11:17 AM
Jan 4, 2013 11:15 AM
May 2012
HE'S BACK!!!

Yes, yes I do.
Jan 4, 2013 11:15 AM

Aug 2012
WHAT THE

edit: may as well answer.

Yes, because either they're vastly stupider than me or vastly smarter. There's nothing that matches my level of intelligence.
MellowJelloJan 4, 2013 11:22 AM
Jan 4, 2013 11:16 AM
Dec 2012
JavierR said:
Welcome back.

and yes since I have a short attention span, and find it hard to talk about things that dont interest me.

I have seen a lot of people here saying that they have short attention span, why is that and why there's such high correlation?
Jan 4, 2013 11:17 AM
May 2012
Not_Biased said:
JavierR said:
Welcome back.

I have seen a lot of people here saying that they have short attention span, why is that and why there's such high correlation?
Because when something exciting happens on MAL, you immediately go to it.
Jan 4, 2013 11:17 AM
Jul 2012
Not_Biased said:
JavierR said:
Welcome back.

I have seen a lot of people here saying that they have short attention span, why is that

i dunno you tell me
Jan 4, 2013 11:18 AM

Nov 2011
The Art of Eight
Jan 4, 2013 11:18 AM
Mar 2012
Uhh, ignoring the obvious fanboys. No.

This is what the forum was about before changes happened. i.e. General Discussion becoming Current Events and Casual Discussion, each day there would have been a thread of either political or moral interest, which would put some user's brain to the test. If you were not careful with your opinion on a certain topic, you would not be able to dodge an engagement of the intellectual minds clashing.

What it has changed into is this, something far too casual for my liking. For this very reason I post a bit less, and engage less in making serious topics, fearing they will be ignored.
Jan 4, 2013 11:20 AM

Nov 2012
Welcome Back

And Yes, because most people aren't intellectual.
Jan 4, 2013 11:21 AM
Dec 2012
Karpman said:
Uhh, ignoring the obvious fanboys. No.

This is what the forum was about before changes happened. i.e. General Discussion becoming Current Events and Casual Discussion, each day there would have been a thread of either political or moral interest, which would put some user's brain to the test. If you were not careful with your opinion on a certain topic, you would not be able to dodge an engagement of the intellectual minds clashing.

What it has changed into is this, something far too casual for my liking. For this very reason I post a bit less, and engage less in making serious topics, fearing they will be ignored.

I have noticed that the IRC chat is where the cool guys like you hang out now.
Jan 4, 2013 11:22 AM

Oct 2012
Thank you MellowJello for spreading the word ^^

Dude, welcome back, because of you, my post count went up the charts! :)

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.
Jan 4, 2013 11:24 AM

Sep 2012
Jan 4, 2013 11:26 AM

Nov 2012
SetsukoHara said:

LOL
Jan 4, 2013 11:28 AM
Nov 2010

You can see the MALgasm
Jan 4, 2013 11:30 AM
May 2012
I like your new set, Z
Jan 4, 2013 11:34 AM
Nov 2010
-Miyu- said:
I like your new set, Z
thank you
Jan 4, 2013 11:35 AM

Oct 2012
Not_Biased said:

I think people nowadays are too narrowminded about the stuff that they're totally off about, so they'll never grow.

Now that I've calmed down about your return, I'll respond to this thread properly now.

What is your stance on otaku and moe?

Jan 4, 2013 11:36 AM

Jun 2012
Tavor said:
Not_Biased said:

Now that I've calmed down about your return, I'll respond to this thread properly now.

HAHAHAHA
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Jan 4, 2013 11:37 AM

Nov 2012
Holybaptiser said:
Tavor said:
Not_Biased said:

HAHAHAHA
Jan 4, 2013 11:38 AM

Aug 2012
Holybaptiser said:
Tavor said:
Not_Biased said:

HAHAHAHA
Jan 4, 2013 11:52 AM

Jun 2012
Nope.

Most people that think that way are usually tools.
Jan 4, 2013 11:55 AM

Jun 2012
Shuhan said:
Nope.

Isn't the correct term self-righteous, self-serving, conceited and pretentious?
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Jan 4, 2013 11:56 AM

Jul 2012
i gave up on such conversations. the majority of people don't care and are apathetic. i find so many topics i would love to talk about with others, but the convo goes nowhere fast. now i just focus on getting through by being nice and engaging. frankly the effort is not worth it.
Jan 4, 2013 11:57 AM

Jun 2012
Holybaptiser said:
Shuhan said:
Nope.

Isn't the correct term self-righteous, self-serving, conceited and pretentious?

Those are the words I was looking for.

I offer you my thanks.
Jan 4, 2013 11:58 AM
Nov 2010
Tavor said:
Not_Biased said:

What is your unbiased stance on otaku and moe?
there we go
Jan 4, 2013 12:01 PM

Jun 2008
Not really, no. Just ignore the ones that don't, and hope for someone with a serious reply. It's easier if you can post modestly without attacking others. Don't post your opinions as facts, but also support your opinions with coherence. With the right punctuation and logical flow, it isn't particularly difficult.
Jan 4, 2013 12:01 PM
Jul 2012
Ah shit he is back

Jan 4, 2013 12:05 PM

Oct 2012
Z-flame said:
Tavor said:
Not_Biased said:

What is your unbiased stance on otaku and moe?
there we go

Touche~

Jan 4, 2013 12:08 PM

Dec 2009
No, but that has more to do with a difference in interests. Most people around me talk about stuff I don't care about, and they don't care about the stuff I talk about.
Ara ara.
Jan 4, 2013 12:14 PM

Nov 2011
Simple answer

Depends on Topic

Sometimes I get in conversations with 2 friends, and my Calculus teacher on Politics, Ecomony, and Military. True story.
Jan 4, 2013 12:26 PM

Dec 2007
I don't find it difficult, but that is only if the other person actually wishes to learn from the conversation as well. If they, just want to argue or force their views on me, I tend to just end the discussion. I personally like learning new things and also learning how others view them. I think it is an easy way to get inside of their thought process sometimes.
Jan 4, 2013 12:41 PM

May 2012
Depends on the topic and If I have no knowledge of the topic, I try to understand it by researching it and listening to others views on it.
Jan 4, 2013 1:05 PM

Jan 2013
Depends on the topic and the crowd. Often I'll just state my views, maybe try to point them out to others, but having been on the net as long as I have well frankly, Opinions are like assholes everyone's got one. Or like a dog in heat they fallow whichever ass is generating the most heat.

And frankly past a point there is no use trying to prove my view or changing that of others on the net of all places. Life is short enough to waste it beating my head into a wall.
Jan 4, 2013 1:26 PM
Dec 2012
daintybiscuit said:
i gave up on such conversations. the majority of people don't care and are apathetic. i find so many topics i would love to talk about with others, but the convo goes nowhere fast. now i just focus on getting through by being nice and engaging. frankly the effort is not worth it.

I like to discuss things that stimulate me intellectually. I hope I don't offend anyone for saying so, but most of the time I feel like I'm surrounded by people that are intellectually challenged, to put it kindly. And maybe that's just it, if you consider that the average intellectual quotient is around 100. They're easily entertained and amused to watch television shows cataloging the "real world" of college kids living in a house together, arguing over who got the most trashed the night before at the club.

I tend to ignore a lot of people, but surprisingly or not they always like to talk as much as they want. Like a wise man once said (I don't remember who it was): It makes it easier to find out how full of shit they are.
Jan 4, 2013 1:35 PM

Sep 2009
Not_Biased said:
In all modesty, I am fairly intellectually astute, I could say I am always striving to become a better person and expand my universe of knowledge and understanding by exploring various fields not necessarily pertinent to my future career or life (Thanks pax967 and AnnoKano)

Fixed.
Losing an Argument online?

Simply post a webpage full of links, and refuse to continue until your opponents have read every last one of them!

WORKS EVERY TIME!

"I was debating with someone who believed in climate change, when he linked me to a graph showing evidence to that effect. So I sent him a 10k word essay on the origins of Conservatism, and escaped with my dignity intact."
"THANK YOU VERBOSE WEBPAGES OF QUESTIONABLE RELEVANCE!"

Jan 4, 2013 1:41 PM

Jun 2008
Huh.....what are you talking about OP?

Isn't MAL more than enough.....look at all these intellectual members and threads!
Jan 4, 2013 1:59 PM

Mar 2012
I can have semi-serious discussions in real life, but when it comes to profoundly thought provoking stuff, I need time to think it over for myself. I can't formulate my thoughts in seconds and articulate them very well, like some people can. For this reason I avoid debating.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Jan 4, 2013 2:01 PM

May 2009
Apparently, TC is a legend.
Welcom back TC, even though I don't know you.
Jan 4, 2013 2:03 PM

Nov 2012
Shoryuuken said:

He started all the naruto threads aka all the shitstorms.
Jan 4, 2013 2:07 PM

Jun 2008
Post-Josh said:
I can have semi-serious discussions in real life, but when it comes to profoundly thought provoking stuff, I need time to think it over for myself. I can't formulate my thoughts in seconds and articulate them very well, like some people can. For this reason I avoid debating.

I have a similar problem but I do in fact LOVE debating....

Thankfully I can think about what I'm going to say before typing it down.

I welcome any and all debates though, and I don't like backing down.
Jan 4, 2013 2:09 PM

Dec 2012
Another thread by Not_biased \o/
Jan 4, 2013 2:24 PM

Jan 2013
RandomPerson3 said:
Shoryuuken said:

Fun times, shitstorms? Or I don't want to be on this planet anymore, shitstorms?
Jan 4, 2013 2:58 PM

Aug 2012
RedArmyShogun said:
RandomPerson3 said:
Shoryuuken said:

Fun times, shitstorms? Or I don't want to be on this planet anymore, shitstorms?

Fun times shitstorms. Refer to Red_Keys thread as the sole survivor of the shitstorm.
Jan 4, 2013 3:28 PM

Jun 2012
Karpman said:

This is what the forum was about before changes happened. i.e. General Discussion [...] What it has changed into is this, something far too casual for my liking. For this very reason I post a bit less, and engage less in making serious topics, fearing they will be ignored.

That's what CE is supposed to be. But most seems to prefer posting in CD for some reason. Maybe the section title is misleading...

On topic : nope. Just need to adapt the topic to who you are talking to or let the discussion derail until it comes to a topic where everyone have idea to share. Also thinking everyone is to stupid to have interesting idea around you is definitely the worst way to engage anything.

Philosopher and politician wannabe can also happen to be quite annoying and ridiculous when they just want to masturbate to your face though. It's only interesting when it is about sharing something. Proving you are right don't bring much in itself.

I sometime have funky grammar, sorry about that. If you can correct some of my post, you would be an angel.
Jan 4, 2013 3:33 PM

Aug 2011
It's not all that difficult.

The person I'm trying to converse with has to have some degree of sense though, for it to work out.

Jan 4, 2013 3:42 PM

Jan 2013
MellowJello said:
RedArmyShogun said:
RandomPerson3 said:
Shoryuuken said:

Fun times shitstorms. Refer to Red_Keys thread as the sole survivor of the shitstorm.
lol sounds like my type of fun.
Jan 4, 2013 3:46 PM

Oct 2012
Not_Biased said:
In all modesty, I am fairly intellectually astute, I could say I am always striving to become a better person and expand my universe of knowledge and understanding by exploring various fields not necessarily pertinent to my future career or life (Thanks pax967 and Allecto)

Honestly I do. Sometimes I think I'm ahead of the times. Several hundred years laters, people will go, "Who is this idiot, Katsucats?" And then several hundred years after that, people will realize, "Katsucats is a genius!"

Because of that, I can sympathize with how you feel (but I feel it about you also).
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jan 4, 2013 3:48 PM
Jan 2012
Haha! Oh for crying out loud. Yes it's hard to engage in such conversations with people in general. The simple cause - ninety nine percent of the population is stupid... or so it would seem. In actuality, whilst I'll retain the fact that people lack the intelligence to accurately perceive, it is mankind's fault for not accepting a more efficient government, which would teach and manage people who must be led (There are two types of people - people who must be led to do right, and leaders who guide the less fortunate ones who are corrupted by the highly imperfect society we live in because they lack insight and intuition). One of the foremost deceptions of mankind is appeasement. Intellectualism, understanding, reality, and truth are synonymous. Since people can't understand intellectualism they fail to understand the products that it entails, like understanding what is proper behaviour. People can't even understand precise, articulate, clear and concise writings, never mind anything written by stupid people. Truly intelligent people, like myself, accurately see the truth and are able to completely justify themselves and remain "right" until the very end, regarding an squabble about whether someone is being presumptuous for example. We accept when we are wrong, learn from it,and remain as reasonable and logical as possible at all times; all the while we have excellent social skills and incredible potential. People fail to empathise and ninety nine percent of people can't understand why their opinion differs from others. Anything except from a dictatorship can't possibly achieve anything past appeasement. People even do not see the full picture and truth in regards to hitlers Germany for example. People behave in such a way,that in their freedom, a democracy achieves nothing less than social chaos. Dictatorship is not politics, it is the gateway to our future. Do you wish to be deluded by the lies and superficialities of mankind? We are told it is right to know that blacks and whites are no different, though it is highly logical to beg to differ. People would just make further mistakes if I were to elaborate so I will abstain. *sigh* I have such grandiose knowledge of mankind but why oh why is not that standard. But what can a man do alone with such worldly insights...
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Is it easy to detect fictional drawings from real photographs?

DesuMaiden - Yesterday

19 by Kwanthemaster »»
5 minutes ago

» About MBTI ミビチアイの事

ISeeLifePeople - Yesterday

8 by Kwanthemaster »»
6 minutes ago

» スキンケア事は男性にとって必要でしょうか? is skin care necessary for men ?

ISeeLifePeople - 7 hours ago

10 by JaniSIr »»
3 hours ago

» The Proust phenomenon

RobertBobert - Today

8 by Stavrogin_ »»
4 hours ago

» "Connoisseurs" of MAL, what are your thoughts on ART NOUVEAU? ( 1 2 3 )

Fario-P - Mar 11, 2021

129 by Fario-P »»
5 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.