Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (14) « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 11 » ... Last »
Dec 27, 2012 6:45 PM

Apr 2012
the ending was very fitting! it made my heart feel warm and tender feelings. unlike a lot of anime, the way they wrapped it up all together just felt very satisfying and i couldn't have it any better. good job, kyoani!
more on the anime on my blog here: http://megnyan.blogspot.com/
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 27, 2012 10:33 PM

Dec 2012
I was wondering. Can anyone that read the novel tell me if there was any difference between its ending and the anime's?
Dec 28, 2012 5:14 AM

Jun 2009
Wow. YES! At first I was thinking, "damn, the writers aren't going to have the balls to do the ending I want."

I was imagining an ending like this, but I never knew it would be taken to THIS LEVEL! This one episode elevated the entire series so much higher! Chills all throughout the last half of it.

Being "normal" is the worst goddamn disease if it makes you unhappy.
Dec 28, 2012 6:33 AM

Apr 2011
It finally ends...Great ending.
Dec 28, 2012 5:17 PM
Nov 2012
I really liked the ending! The message was so touching ^^ But there was no kiss so there is no 10/10 :[ Overall it was a great anime with a little of a rushing story.
Dec 28, 2012 6:06 PM
Aug 2007
Nice ending. Didn't really care about a kiss, as long as they are back together and happy.. I can just imagine their relationship making steady progress in the future..

LOL'd at Dekomori's Mercedes-Benz complete with secret agent servant.

Really wish it was longer though.. so many funny moments throughout the series, too bad all the good shows are so short these days..
Dec 28, 2012 10:54 PM
Nov 2012
Yuushirayoshi said:
I'm sad it ended. :( I love every episodes. Love how it ended.. waiting for next KyoAni anime.. Tamakomarket..

Can't agree more. This was one programme I never wanted to see end. But the way it did close allows for a redeux of much of the same stuff. So... let's hear it for the OVA and 'season II'!
Jonnie Comet
http://authorjonniecomet.blogspot.com/
jonniecomet@yahoo.com
Dec 29, 2012 6:29 AM

Sep 2012
ok all you kids that wanted a kiss scene can now stop complaining.
and wait 6 months.

its the OVA
Dec 29, 2012 6:51 AM

Aug 2010
KyoAni's got hands of Midas, turning everything they touch in gold. Never doubted them, and will never do. Chu-2 Byo was amazing, so will be Tamako market.
Dec 29, 2012 10:58 AM

Sep 2011
NxK said:

That narrator bit felt somewhat unnecessary. Why not use one of the main characters' voices instead?

Dis.
Dec 29, 2012 4:40 PM

May 2012
Sanae with her hair down was soooo kawaii
it was an excelent episode, but i wish there was a kiss...
if it had ended with a kiss, would be a lot better...
9/10
Dec 29, 2012 6:19 PM

Jun 2010
I basically agree with everything that ataraxial said. Overall, it was an entertaining series to watch and definitely above average in its genre, but it suffered from a flaw that seems to plague many anime that try to blend comedy and drama together. The first 7 or 8 episodes were very well done. The comedy was spot on, the imaginary fight sequences were hilariously absurd, and the entire cast was likable. But the chemistry between Rikka and Yuuta made the series so delightfully enjoyable to watch.

While Rikka and Sanae's antics did lose their hilarity as time progressed, that wasn't the main issue. It was almost as if, after 7 episodes of not taking the show seriously, the writers (yes, I am aware that this was adapted from a manga) suddenly realized that they should probably introduce a plot. And then the series abruptly becomes much gloomier. And don't even get me started about how forced the drama and romance was. Instead of having it hit viewers like a truck, they could have at least tried to introduce some drama earlier in the series. That way, it would have saved them the trouble of trying to fit what could have been 12 episode long show in itself in the span of a mere 4 episodes.

I also have an issue of how easily Rikka and Sanae's "issues" were resolved (especially Rikka's, since she is a lead character). Her transformation from a girl completely absorbed in her delusions to a normal high schooler was all too sudden. I had hoped for more subtle and gradual changes.

Enough about how the series was flawed. It also plenty of things right. One thing I think the series deserves much praise for how well it developed the two lead characters. By developed, I don't mean that they were exceedingly complex characters, but they were extremely likable and relatable. I must also mention again that Rikka and Yuuta had some of the best chemistry I've seen from a romantic duo in a while. Although they don't play a huge role in gauging an series' quality in my eyes, both the animation and sound in the series were amazingly well done.

6/10. It wasn't exactly the most original series and it suffered from a predictable and generic plot riddled with clichés and melodrama, but the interactions between the characters and the humour made Chuu2 a worthwhile watch.
YunaDec 29, 2012 6:26 PM
Dec 29, 2012 7:21 PM
Oct 2007
All 12 episodes that lasted around twenty three minutes (including OP and ED) literally feel like only five minutes every week. I'm actually surprise people are nitpicking on an excellent series while giving a 10 out of 10 score to shows like Shakugan no Shana and Guilty Crown. /facepalm

Chuu2 has a perfect blend of comedy, drama, romance and slice of life in it. Definitely worth picking it up for anyone, 10/10 from me.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 30, 2012 1:03 AM
Sep 2012
I can't believe I waited so much to watch this episode.
It was a very refreshing ending imo. It just missed the kiss, but I didn't think about it while watching the whole thing.
Personally, the monologue at the end while they were riding to the sunrise is a masterpiece. It got me thinking about who I'm and the most important people in my life. That was a very touching moment for sure.
I don't know if it is the best anime of the season but it definetly made it into my favorites 10/10
Dec 30, 2012 4:46 AM

Dec 2012
luccide said:
All 12 episodes that lasted around twenty three minutes (including OP and ED) literally feel like only five minutes every week...

Exactly. It felt like I just watched one then it comes to a point where I just realised that it had already ended.

Anyway, I liked the whole series tbh. 10/10. But since it only had 12 episodes. I gave it a 9. Unless the OVA is gonna be really that great, I might change my rating.

Anyone thinking that there should be a S2 or so? :D
Dec 30, 2012 5:53 PM

Dec 2007
Well, for me i didnt find this to be that good, but still i enjoyed pretty much the 12 episodes.

The episodes do feel like they passed quickly as said by some people here xD

Overall, its a high 7 for me, close to 8 but not enough.
Dec 31, 2012 2:43 AM

Dec 2012
It was really nice ending, very romantic.
I didnt like the fact that ryuuta showed rikka the "unseen horizon" though because now I have doubts about the 2nd season.
Dec 31, 2012 7:00 AM

Feb 2010
Perfect mixture of comedy and drama. That's how I like my KyoAnis. 9/10
NO KISS! ;_;
Dec 31, 2012 9:21 AM

Jul 2012
luccide said:
I'm actually surprise people are nitpicking on an excellent series while giving a 10 out of 10 score to shows like Shakugan no Shana and Guilty Crown. /facepalm.

Who are you to judge what people rate?
Dec 31, 2012 11:35 AM
Dec 2012
"every anime always have their last episode" and tadaa~ chuu2byou last episode. a little bit rushed in 2 last episode, but not bad.
Dec 31, 2012 11:47 AM

Dec 2012
It was too rushed.
"Only one with the courage
to shoulder the burden
of their own fate can
be called a hero.."

Dec 31, 2012 12:34 PM

Nov 2011
I loved the ending when Yuuta rushed back to find Rikka. The burglar scene was also hilarious XD
Dec 31, 2012 2:19 PM

Aug 2008
Oh my God, this was so beautiful ;-; I loved it! 9/10.

Dec 31, 2012 2:20 PM

Jul 2012
I'm really glad i watched this anime. I loved it.
Jan 3, 2013 1:50 PM

Dec 2009
So when's the OVA when they kiss?
Jan 6, 2013 11:36 AM
Mar 2012
Really cute, romantic, and funny. I enjoyed thoroughly, KyoAni never disappoints.
No kiss tho =/.
10/10
Jan 9, 2013 8:48 AM

Jan 2012
yeah... pretty much a perfect ending all around really, can't even pick too many faults with this anime at all... a very high 8 for me personally couldn't quite hit that 9 that I thought it might reach... the earlier episodes were my favorite where it was more comedy and epic fantasy battles rather than the romantic side of things (not that i didn't enjoy that too)
Jan 9, 2013 10:23 AM

Dec 2010
What is Rikka's father last words?

Jan 10, 2013 3:22 AM

Oct 2011
amazing last episode to what has been a truly funny and moving bicycle ride through embarrassment, romance, grief, and laughter.......was disappointed with the last episode (live in reality) and then this one came along and smashed all that: the most important thing is to be true to oneself, even when the rest of the world thinks us mad - great ending to a lovely anime! 9 of 10 for me..........
Jan 10, 2013 7:56 AM

Jan 2011
Eye candy is enjoyable to watch as always and the comedy was really good. Very enjoyable, but I like intense stories best. 8/10, like I usually rate these kind of things. Second season is possible, But KyoAni usually likes to hop to other stuff and keep their moe fresh, which makes a lot of sense seeing as most people buy it because of this.
I almost never read discussions after I made my post, if you want to reply PM me or post on my profile page.
Jan 10, 2013 9:44 PM

Oct 2011
I don't buy this happily ever after ending.
There's no way this could end happily... Her just reverting back to her old self.
Jan 11, 2013 8:28 AM

Dec 2012
CrimsonLight said:
There's no way this could end happily... Her just reverting back to her old self.

I sort of agree. It seemed not only rushed but unrealistic. Although I'm sure that's KyoAni's fault. It's probably well explained in the novel. I'll address Rikka reverting to her old self at the end of this post, but first, I will discuss what really bothered me about this episode that sort of a killed a series that was on a roll.

First off, some inconsistencies. the whole think with Kumin pretending to be the wicked eye is never truly explained. I suppose Rikka out of frustration called her and poured her heart out to Kumin, leading her to do what she did and say what she did to Yuuta. (Although I don't understand how the hell she got to the middle of the highway where yuuta was on a bike on, wouldn't a phone call from Kumin to Yuuta have worked better?)

Second, Rikka's grandfather and his reaction to what was going on. any idiot can tell a boy on the roof next to a girls room at night telling her to come with him means a romance meetup. I don't buy the whole "grandfather thought he was a burglar" BS, unless he's just stupid. The policeman popping out of nowhere was sort of weird as well, as was the three friends also showing up randomly. This is starting to seem more like a weird dream than a believable episode. OK, moving on.

Third, the Ethereal horizon. I think it was amazingly cute and romantic what Yuuta did when Rikka and him got to the beach. Although, I wonder if what was animated is truly what the author had in mind. The way I see it, Yuuta told Rikka that was the ethereal horizon, and that she should tell it the feelings she's holding back. In other words, he's telling her to let go of her past by saying goodbye to her father. I believe that moment was completely obliterated though by the fact that yuuta turned into a nuclear reactor and blew the fuck up, followed up by a scene out of something like 2001: A Space Oddysey. There was no need at all for the explosions and all that BS. In fact, I am almost sure the author meant for that scene to be pictured only as a girl and her lover on a "beach" looking at the lights; with Yuuta comforting her to accept her feelings and her "fantasies" as natural. Not as some time travel scene.

Fourth, the end of the end (or lack of proper resolution). This is sort of stupid, but can you blame me for being a bit peeved about the fact a damn cop car wasn't able to catch a guy on a bike? If anything, either the author (if this is how he wrote the story), or KyoAni should have taken the time to make ONE more freaking episode to explain how the conflict was resolved. This is where I address what CrimsonLight referred to.

The main conflict of this story was that Rikka's "Chuunibyou" was causing her big problems with her family. It was getting her sister and grandfather pissed and causing her mother and grandmother grief. That conflict was pacified when Yuuta convinced Rikka to stop the "act". As Rikka said, her family was now relieved and happy. But then another conflict came about:

Rikka herself was unhappy. I don't believe it was because she was no longer pretending ot have the wicked eye, but because she was away from her friends, and, especially, Yuuta. The part where she's holding the thingamajig to water the plants and begins to cry shows us she misses the time she spent with Yuuta. Of course we then see Yuuta come to the rescue after riding on a bike, blah blah blah, Yuuta gets her to come to terms with her father death, etc. And then, simply, "The end".

What?

No, it's not the end, how cna you end a story without explaining how the conflict was resolved? As explained above, Rikka's Chuunibyou was causing big family problems. They do not realize the Chuunibyou is what she uses (or used) to deal with her father's death. in the end, it is implied Rikka went back to her older self, wearing the patch again, etc, etc. Back to square 1. Do you truly believe her grandfather and sister are just going to take that? If anything, I am sure they would be pissed at the fact she is back to her old self. This is where Chuunibyou lacks in what ToraDora! had: a confrontation with the conflict. The (in my opinion) logical thing to do would have been that Rikka confront her family about her feelings, and how she was treated by them, how they ignored her personality and her feelings, how they are making her miserable by telling her to move to gramp's place when she has set roots in Yuuta's town, has friends there, and has the boy she is in love with there. The logical thing would have been that Rikka do what almost any other human would do and set her foot down once she realizes what she wants.

Why the hell would they have moved back to Yuuta's town after all of this? (implied when she goes to Yuuta's balcony), unless she were to explain that she needed to be there instead of at gramps' place? It makes no sense. That's the problem with this episode, and this "ending". It makes no realistic sense. I don't expect anime ot be devoid of fiction, of course not, but they really killed this ending by making it seem more like a dream than something that really happened.

Not to mention what others have said. No kiss? Not even an "I love you?" or a "Thank you Yuuta"?, or anything that confirmed what everyone watched romance in general for: whether or not they ended up as a couple? What I got out of this ending is Yuuta being like a best friend more than a lover. I'm sure it's intended Yuuta and Rikka became lovers, but what was the problem with taking 2 or 3 seconds out of the episode to animate a kiss? (Maybe after the beach thing; I can just picture Rikka telling Yuuta to close his eyes and pop!)

I truly believed this was going to end with Rikka (and Dekomori) accepting their fantasies weren't real, but that they weren't anything to be ashamed of, that they were natural, and, if anything, allowed them to do what kids should do: have fun. But that is was time to move on, and to grow up a little bit. I really loved the mssage the narrator said at the end. I agree with it completely, but why not show this with Rikka doing what I said above instead of simply narrating it? In the end, Rikka going back to the pretend games would only cause problems, if not for her family to forbidding her to see Yuuta when they realize it was him that convinced her to be true to herself.

Chuunibyou will get either an 8 or 9 out of 10 from me, I'm sad ot say, it had the potential to, but didn't, surpass ToraDora!
NakukeMay 12, 2013 4:58 PM
Jan 12, 2013 8:17 AM

Jan 2012
That felt so Key-alike ending, just beautiful.

I didn't like that she is back to her old self, it feels like now they are back to square one except this time they are in a relationship.
Jan 14, 2013 11:37 PM

Jul 2012
I wanted to cry so badly after the ending, It was so beautiful! 。:゚(。ノω\。)゚・。

It all really made sense in the ending what it all was about.
The magical scene when she took farewell of her father which she never had a chance to do those 2 years ago was just hauntingly beautifully crafted. It was magic and it played around with my feelings in a circle like a fountain reuses its water.

As in Ep9 you could understand that much of her weirdness was too hide behind the role she always was playing in a world of fantasy or so to say, always imagining how to get to the other side where her dad was waiting for her or something like that, that was my picture of it kind of. It's like how people is, even I do that and have for years, for instance we play video games and imagine ourselves in that world and that we are the character. We take stance of our imaginations and use them as best as we can. Games are of course so much fun to play too so its also a hobby but you get my meaning ( ^o^)/ or even here, we're watching anime and enter the world of the series atmosphere, just dreaming ourselves into what is happening kind of. Well all I wanted to say is that this anime really moved my heart. I didn't know it would have such an impact on me but the truth is that it did. It was just this anime I had no clue of what it was but have been seen on banners everywhere whilst browsing the internet! It was an advice from a stranger and a good advice it was!

Maybe I try to overkill the deepness into things... I don't really know, haha. Cheers ( ^.^) 10/10
I like to put my fingers on my midi-keyboard sometimes

https://soundcloud.com/agithascastlemusic
Jan 15, 2013 2:43 PM

Dec 2012
Asukafag said:
CrimsonLight said:
There's no way this could end happily... <snip>

You've addressed all my gripes with this ending perfectly in the above post. What is worse, it seems that the bonus episode will tackle none of that and will just be more chuuni...

They could have at least made Rikka not wear the eye-patch in the last scene on the balcony, while keeping everything else the same. That would imply that she found a better balance between her fantasies and reality, coming to terms with her family without abandoning her personality like she did in the previous episodes...

The way it is now, the ending just doesn't feel complete to me.
Jan 16, 2013 11:36 AM
Nov 2012
this ending was really emotional for me I LOVED it... but it was just a littile disappointing in the end >>> but i really liked episode 10 when Rikka confessed to Yuuta that moment was soooooooo lovely between the two of them=)
Jan 16, 2013 1:59 PM

Apr 2012
For me, the ending wasn't all that satisfying. I rather liked the conflicts they had going in the 11th episode, and how both Rikka and Dekomori overcame their eight-grader syndromes; it gave room for new developments.

But with things reverting to the way they were before leaves me feeling like it's all been reset to episode 1 with the sole exception of Yuuta embracing his own eight-grader syndrome.

Not to mention the didn't develop Yuuta and Rikka's relationship AT ALL, despite the fact that both of them confessed to one another. The most intimate we saw them be was forehead-to-back and pinkie-to-pinkie. How's that for a relationship?

Not so say it was all bad though. I really liked the final conclusion and the message it sent. We'll always carry our past selves with us, however crazy we might've once been, and we should try to embrace it rather than try to forget about it.
Jan 16, 2013 7:15 PM

May 2012
It was an alright anime. I was expecting a kiss at the end where she snuck down the rope to see him again though ;<

Oh well.
Jan 18, 2013 3:15 PM
Nov 2012
definatly 10/10

loved it and i don't know why cos i ought it was weird yet wonderful brings back memories of when i was like them if only they kissed then it would of truly been perfect <3
Jan 19, 2013 1:11 PM

Feb 2012
For me this was terrible. I am the only one who thinks that way?

4,5/10 from me. ( round to 5/10)

Well, I got my own taste ;D
EmviesJan 19, 2013 1:14 PM
Jan 21, 2013 2:03 AM

Aug 2012
Well I really enjoyed it anyway, and to address a few problems I've read about...

I feel as if the whole thing with Rikka being the wicked eye was fine, her abandoning it for the sake of her family and coming to grips with it resolved her denial of her father's death and helped her accept it and rebuild a relationship with her mother. And this happened at the cost of her friends and her sense of identity in a way. When the wicked eye was brought back by Yuuta and she was told it was alright she learned that it was okay to be herself and that Yuuta accepted her for who she felt she really was. With all her family issues resolved I don't think there's any problem with her acting that way and reverting back to her old self because she's not using it to deny reality she's using it for innocent fun, I guess.

The old grandpa thing was a little off to me too, but I can live with it. I'm sure he knew it wasn't actually a burglar but he was supposed to be a strict old man and I don't think he'd be happy with their shenanigans either way.

I'm going to miss this series, I really did like it.
Jan 21, 2013 12:05 PM

Dec 2012
MudRune said:
Well I really enjoyed it anyway, and to address a few problems I've read about...

I feel as if the whole thing with Rikka being the wicked eye was fine, her abandoning it for the sake of her family and coming to grips with it resolved her denial of her father's death and helped her accept it and rebuild a relationship with her mother. And this happened at the cost of her friends and her sense of identity in a way. When the wicked eye was brought back by Yuuta and she was told it was alright she learned that it was okay to be herself and that Yuuta accepted her for who she felt she really was. With all her family issues resolved I don't think there's any problem with her acting that way and reverting back to her old self because she's not using it to deny reality she's using it for innocent fun, I guess.

However... won't she have to stop doing it, eventually? Is she going to keep wearing an eye patch and act like that throughout high-school, college, and beyond? And what time could have been better to move on than the events at the end of the series?

It would be fine if she really would be using it for "innocent fun", however that means not acting like that 24/7, and the vibes from this ending just suggested her reverting to exactly the way she was before...
Jan 25, 2013 3:17 PM

Jun 2012
A bit disappointed with the ending but it was still pretty beautiful. Loved all the characters, extremely funny. I cant wait to watch the OVA.

10/10

it seems like im giving a lot of 10's lately..
Jan 26, 2013 11:01 AM

Nov 2008
It was a wonderful and sweet ending!

9/10!
Feb 2, 2013 2:05 AM

Feb 2013
10/10
It was the cutest romance evah!
I hope there will be a season 2.
Feb 3, 2013 11:09 PM

Jun 2012
Just finished it. I agree with Asukafag at the top, it was very rushed for the plot. I didn't mind almost any of that, I just wanted to know if they truly were in a relationship. A kiss or an "I love you" would have been a perfect ending, but it seemed to lack a true resolution.

Also I felt bad that Rikka resumed her Chuunibyou phase. I was hoping she'd stay out of it. Nonetheless, an OVA can (but probably won't) still fix this and I loved the part where she jumped into his arms. Excellent anime. 9/10
Feb 4, 2013 4:17 PM

Apr 2009
I really thought this show was going to be pure comedy so the romance and drama were a bit of a surprise. In the end though, I did like it a lot. Wish there was a bit better conclusion but it's still satisfying. 9/10 for me.

Feb 6, 2013 8:13 PM

Mar 2012
Really predictable ending, I don't see how this has over an 8 rating, it started off as a cliche, progressed as a cliche, and ended back where it started..Rikka is a total spin-off of Erio from Denpa Onna, I don't see why her getting over her syndrom was such a main point if in the end, she goes right back to it. 6/10, this was highly disappointing.

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment"
Feb 8, 2013 9:45 AM

Sep 2010
I loved this. Yuuta/Rikka is the cutest thing ever and somehow this series inspires me. It's okay to escape reality sometimes.

9/10
Feb 9, 2013 3:44 PM

Dec 2012
MoeXtreme said:
That felt so Key-alike ending, just beautiful.

I didn't like that she is back to her old self, it feels like now they are back to square one except this time they are in a relationship.

Agree that it had Key-like ending.
However Im happy, that they're back to their old chuunibyou versions. Somehow they are much better in that way.

Amazing scene with amazing animation. Finally we see the Dark Flame Master's magic.
10/10

This series has made me realize that I have chuunibyou too. (But its a fun thing, at least to me)
Pages (14) « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 11 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» What would've happened to Rika if Yuuta hadn't reached out to her at the end of the season 1 finale

Soibi - Mar 10

7 by JohnZ_GGs »»
Mar 17, 2:16 PM

Poll: » Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 10, 2012

323 by Zimmu »»
Mar 13, 9:09 AM

Poll: » Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 3, 2012

431 by Devonnius »»
Feb 25, 11:52 PM

Poll: » Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bippo - Dec 12, 2012

489 by FarCritical »»
Feb 22, 1:05 PM

Poll: » Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Marow - Dec 5, 2012

323 by FarCritical »»
Feb 19, 11:39 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.