Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 2, 2012 3:55 PM

Sep 2011
It's simple: What did you want to be when you grew up?

I remember wanting to be a philosopher, and then I wanted to be a businessman, and at some point I wanted to be an army general

I wanted to be a philosopher because I thought I was good at thinking about stuff.
I wanted to be a businessman later on because a) I thought that was the easiest way to get rich b) Because I looked up to Scrooge McDuck when I was a kid. I loved how uncompromising he was, his contempt for other people, and his attitude towards hard work. He also made sure his nephew was never unemployed.
I wanted to be a general because I thought war was the coolest thing ever, and I admired the respect generals seemed to invoke and I appreciated how handsome they looked in their uniforms, they seemed accomplished in some way.
BryanBosslingDec 3, 2012 8:30 AM
Come visit my town // I apologize in advance for my second-rate English

Join my fan club // Improve the transport network
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Dec 2, 2012 3:57 PM

Dec 2012
I wanted to be a doctor at first, then an astronaut (I gained an interest in space) and now a writer. Damn how things have changed.
Dec 2, 2012 3:57 PM

Jul 2007
Happy. It's working out pretty okay.
Dec 2, 2012 3:59 PM

Aug 2012
Superman
كنت تهدر وقتك عن طريق ترجمة هذه.

mattbenz99 said:
Christians and Satanists are technically the same thing
Dec 2, 2012 3:59 PM

Jul 2012
I wanted to be a psychologist.
....that hasn't changed
Dec 2, 2012 4:00 PM

May 2011
Well Im taking an advertising art and design class right now, so basically a designer lol. However thats just a back up, if I cant make it as an author. Gotta have a degree in some thing right?
*Cringey anime weeb stuff*
Dec 2, 2012 4:01 PM

Jun 2011
A game designer. That was before I realized that making games kills any enjoyment I get out of them.
Dec 2, 2012 4:02 PM

Nov 2010
When I was in kindergarten I wanted to be a rockstar.

Have never even learned how to play the guitar.
Dec 2, 2012 4:04 PM

Jun 2011
Alive, I hope.
Dec 2, 2012 4:06 PM

May 2011
Narmy said:
A game designer. That was before I realized that making games kills any enjoyment I get out of them.

Yeah I had that in mind a while back too, then figured out I needed to not suck at math... Now Im more likely to join an MLG ream than make games lol.
*Cringey anime weeb stuff*
Dec 2, 2012 4:07 PM

Aug 2009
I was crazy about dinosaurs when I was little,so I wanted to become a paleontologist.But then I went to middle school and the hammer of reality came thrusting down.
Dec 2, 2012 4:08 PM

Aug 2012
ssjokg said:
I was crazy about dinosaurs when I was little,so I wanted to become a paleontologist.But then I went to middle school and the hammer of reality came thrusting down.

You were in touch with reality when you were in middle school? that's sad.
كنت تهدر وقتك عن طريق ترجمة هذه.

mattbenz99 said:
Christians and Satanists are technically the same thing
Dec 2, 2012 4:13 PM

Aug 2009
Goryo said:
ssjokg said:

You were in touch with reality when you were in middle school? that's sad.

Dont remind me.
Dec 2, 2012 4:17 PM

Jul 2012
I desperately wanted to be a singer. I loved Oliviia Newton John. (before most of you youngun's time) I used to sing her songs and dance around the living room.

sadly i never made it past competitive choir. hehe.
Dec 2, 2012 4:19 PM

Feb 2012
A jedi.
Dec 2, 2012 4:25 PM

Oct 2012
Shane777 said:
A jedi.

I remember being young and trying my best to move random objects with the Force. That obviously didn't work out...

For now though, I hope to be an engineer, specifically with computers or even repairing them.

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.
Dec 2, 2012 4:26 PM

Sep 2011
Tavor said:
I remember being young and trying my best to move something with the Force. That obviously didn't work out...

I still do that
Come visit my town // I apologize in advance for my second-rate English

Join my fan club // Improve the transport network
Dec 2, 2012 4:26 PM

Nov 2008
An artist specializing in drawings or whole comics. Later, an author.

Dec 2, 2012 4:30 PM

Oct 2012
JennyEsquire said:
Tavor said:
I remember being young and trying my best to move something with the Force. That obviously didn't work out...

I still do that

Please teach me whenever you figure out how so my childhood dreams come true! ;-;

There is some toy glove out there though that uses magnetic attraction/repelling principles to give the 'effect' of using the Force I read about some months ago

Dec 2, 2012 4:34 PM

Mar 2011
Puppeteer of the world.
Dec 2, 2012 4:36 PM

Jun 2011
FreakyTy said:
Narmy said:

Yeah I had that in mind a while back too, then figured out I needed to not suck at math... Now Im more likely to join an MLG ream than make games lol.

A game designer doesn't need math. Just basic programming skills to make prototypes and mock-ups. Designers are the ones who fabricate the game mechanics and such. Programmers are the one's who actually code the solution and therefore are the ones who need math. But then again, my brother is studying to be both a designer and programmer, and his math skills are minimal to put it nicely o.o.
Dec 2, 2012 4:38 PM

Oct 2012
onedaysnotice said:
FreakyTy said:
Narmy said:

A game designer doesn't need math. Just basic programming skills to make prototypes and mock-ups. Designers are the ones who fabricate the game mechanics and such. Programmers are the one's who actually code the solution and therefore are the ones who need math. But then again, my brother is studying to be both a designer and programmer, and his math skills are minimal to put it nicely o.o.

Perhaps you need excellent math skills to make production quality games though.

Dec 2, 2012 4:45 PM

Jun 2011
Tavor said:
onedaysnotice said:
FreakyTy said:
Narmy said:

Perhaps you need excellent math skills to make production quality games though.

Well AAA titles will be developed by teams that have very little interchange between team roles, and instead have defined roles. As such, designers will be more secluded mechanics, story direction, etc, and will very seldom dabble in actual programming, minus the production of prototypes to give the programmers the gist of what he wants to accomplish.

There's also the notion of 'collaboration', so the designer can easily push the harder math stuff to the programmers or more experienced mathematicians lol. The hardest math component a designer can face that I can think of is attribute balancing, like that of D3. But then again, most of the nitty gritty was most likely done by others and the designer (jay wilson) just provided direction. idk lol.
Dec 2, 2012 4:53 PM
Jun 2012
Real rich, real happy.
Dec 2, 2012 5:03 PM

Mar 2012
I wanted to be a firefighter. I wanted to save babies from buildings and that kind of stuff, but then I became a coward and didn't wanted to do that anymore, that and the fact that firefighters don't really are like the ones in the movies in my country.
Dec 2, 2012 5:35 PM

Dec 2009
Actor since 11 years old, and still is my dream and I will achieve it!
Legendary Actor w/ acts of helping the world.

I also have my goals.
Dec 2, 2012 5:43 PM

Aug 2011
I wanted to be the very best, like no one ever was.
Dec 2, 2012 5:44 PM

Mar 2012
mitch3315 said:
I wanted to be the very best, like no one ever was.
dun dun dun.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Dec 2, 2012 5:45 PM

Sep 2009
Early on, I wanted to be a doctor. Then it was an Engineer, a journalist.

Nowadays, either an academic or a writer of some sort. Or maybe just an Engineer. I don't know.
Losing an Argument online?

Simply post a webpage full of links, and refuse to continue until your opponents have read every last one of them!

WORKS EVERY TIME!

"I was debating with someone who believed in climate change, when he linked me to a graph showing evidence to that effect. So I sent him a 10k word essay on the origins of Conservatism, and escaped with my dignity intact."
"THANK YOU VERBOSE WEBPAGES OF QUESTIONABLE RELEVANCE!"

Dec 2, 2012 5:56 PM

Apr 2012
I wanted to be an archaeologist. Dem childhood Jurassic Park movies.
As a child, I was told that society is a melting pot of talents; knowledge and experience combined to form important alloys that will contribute to mankind. When I got to highschool, however, I thought that it's more like a river in which the water represents our peers while we ourselves are the stones in the river. Constant erosion by mindless majority sheeping has made us lose our unique edge. After I hit the age of 18, I realized that I've been wrong all along. Society is no melting pot. Society is no river. Society is a person, a very skilled rapist, and he has fucked us all.
Dec 2, 2012 6:39 PM
Jul 2018
At first I wanted to be a vet.
Then teacher.
When I grew older I wanted to be a neurologist.
Now.. I'd like to be a social worker.
Dec 2, 2012 6:50 PM

Jul 2012
I still have no idea what I want to become. Maybe a chef or something.
Dec 2, 2012 7:03 PM

Aug 2012
Well I'm Asian and all of my friends are Asian, so this is usually what I go through.

Person A : What do you guys want to do?
Person B : I want to be a doctor
Person C : Hey yea me too
Person D : Yea i'm going to med school also

Person A (looks at me) : What do you want to do?

*I pause and stare at everyone*

"Theoretical Particle Physics, FK YEA!!!!"
Dec 2, 2012 7:04 PM

Apr 2012
Trembllar said:
Well I'm Asian and all of my friends are Asian, so this is usually what I go through.

Person A : What do you guys want to do?
Person B : I want to be a doctor
Person C : Hey yea me too
Person D : Yea i'm going to med school also

Person A (looks at me) : What do you want to do?

*I pause and stare at everyone*

"Theoretical Particle Physics, FK YEA!!!!"

10 years later, everyone works at McDonalds.
As a child, I was told that society is a melting pot of talents; knowledge and experience combined to form important alloys that will contribute to mankind. When I got to highschool, however, I thought that it's more like a river in which the water represents our peers while we ourselves are the stones in the river. Constant erosion by mindless majority sheeping has made us lose our unique edge. After I hit the age of 18, I realized that I've been wrong all along. Society is no melting pot. Society is no river. Society is a person, a very skilled rapist, and he has fucked us all.
Dec 2, 2012 7:08 PM

Aug 2012
Haha!

Watch me spend 10 years to get a PH.D and end having to work at Macdonalds. The funny thing is that it will probably happen...
Dec 2, 2012 7:09 PM

Apr 2012
Trembllar said:
Haha!

Watch me spend 10 years to get a PH.D and end having to work at Macdonalds. The funny thing is that it will probably happen...

Yeah...the physics department at my university is severely underfunded compared to biology and chemistry lol.
Dec 2, 2012 7:14 PM

Dec 2010
I wanted to be an engineer at first. Then I realized how hard it was.

I then wanted to become a music producer. Then I realized I'm lazy to fit the business (for now).

I'm currently a business student looking to become a business analyst. I'm probably going to realize I don't enjoy this career enough to stay in it.

Dec 2, 2012 7:43 PM

Jan 2012
I wanted to be a professional athlete... o.o
But considering the chances of that actually happening, I think I'll just go into robotics ^.^

Dec 2, 2012 7:52 PM

Nov 2012
Nothing. I'm 15, college is closing in, and I still have no idea. FML.
Dec 2, 2012 7:55 PM

Aug 2012
i wanted to be a palaeontologist haha, i loved the shit out of dinosaurs.
"Reality can really bum you out" - Ash Ketchum
Dec 2, 2012 7:55 PM

Mar 2012
I wanted to be a fireman. Don't know why.
Dec 2, 2012 7:59 PM

Sep 2011
A doctor, but now I'm on my way to becoming an engineer. It's alright so far, though I have to say, the idea of being an author of some sort has always interested me.
Dec 2, 2012 9:00 PM

Feb 2012
I wanted to be free, or rich.
Dec 2, 2012 9:06 PM

Jun 2012
A doctor + princess/polarbear don't judge me =.=
Dec 2, 2012 11:44 PM

Apr 2012
Ryuho said:
I wanted to be free, or rich.
So you're a slave right now?
Dec 2, 2012 11:50 PM

Sep 2012
A teacher.

But then I realized I fucking hate kids
Dec 3, 2012 12:06 AM

Sep 2011
When I was little I wanted to be a vet or a princess or a garbageman or a backhoe operator or a semi driver. When I got a little older I wanted to be a writer.
Dec 3, 2012 12:09 AM

Jun 2007
I didn't want to be much of anything, so I became a writer.
Dec 3, 2012 12:09 AM
Jun 2012
a pirate
Dec 3, 2012 12:11 AM

Apr 2012
drinkbeer said:
a pirate

You need to go to Somalia for that.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» What are the best and worst reaction image sets?

Commit_Crime - 10 hours ago

6 by SimplyBrazen »»
2 minutes ago

» How much of your personality should be in your writing?

Nette - 1 hour ago

2 by SimplyBrazen »»
5 minutes ago

» Am I the only one who doesnt like discord? ( 1 2 )

Bensku - Sep 21

66 by Horizon248 »»
1 hour ago

» What is one thing you miss about being a kid?

Yuno - Sep 19

43 by RareAnimeHunter »»
2 hours ago

» Do you have any weird or mild medical conditions?

Mualani - Sep 20

29 by Kirika_Madeleine »»
3 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.