Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Feb 17, 2015 10:27 AM

Jun 2014
Just rewatching this and no doubt this was the most heartbreaking episode that I ever watched.
Mar 29, 2015 6:43 PM

Oct 2013
O wow this was REALLY I CAN"T HANDLE IT
[/quote]
Mar 31, 2015 7:30 AM

Mar 2014
This is more horrifying than most horror series have to offer. The art, the pain, the symbolism... I'm done.
Apr 6, 2015 3:27 PM

Aug 2014
Wow, this episode is quite interesting emotion. Who knows, Yuuko, the girl with the usual tenderness shown, turned out to save big secret. The pain that he got as a reason to remain silent without a fight.
May 3, 2015 4:53 AM

Sep 2014
This episode was extremely powerful.
I had to pause it a couple of times because it was so intense, very well done.
Mirai, zura~!
May 24, 2015 9:28 AM
May 2015
My heart shattered when yuuko told about the xmas 2 years ago... Imposible to stop crying! T_T
Jul 18, 2015 3:53 AM

Aug 2009
well, that escalated quickly

shit was so intense i didn't realize mizuki and kuze didnt even show up in the ep lol

feels like finale soon but only halfway thru the season

keep goin
Sep 14, 2015 7:23 AM

Sep 2010
That was f*cked up ;_; I cried and my stomach hurt from how disgusting that scenario was my god, that's the most horrible scenario I've heard in any anime.
Sep 23, 2015 8:06 PM

Oct 2013
Good God... so this is what it means to be truly lost for words. This entire episode was just... wow. I was getting chills during the first half of the episode due to how beautiful the soundtrack was, but then the "Made-Up Truth" scene made me forget all about that.

The post-credits scene with Yuuko blaming Himura for everything was a splendid touch.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Sep 30, 2015 5:04 AM

Jan 2014
Kewl, Yuko is too crazy for my taste, but yeah I kinda knew that happened x)
Oct 28, 2015 12:09 PM

Jul 2009
I was not expecting that, I was expecting some trauma...but not that! Hell, poor Yuuko, Akira is sick! He not only hurt her for years but also raped her, that's so sad. And it's sad to know that if Yuu's answer were different in the past she would have stayed with him.
Nov 3, 2015 5:47 AM

Sep 2015
OMG. Last time I felt like this was that episode with Miyako breaking down on the phone! This episode was extremely powerful T_T
Nov 12, 2015 5:57 PM

May 2015
Holy CRAP that was intense. I had already come to the conclusion that her brother was resentful of her since she was basically a replacement sister, I thought it was possible for some abuse, too, but to that extent. Poor girl. Yuu must feel terrible now. I'm not really sure if it's his fault. The blame could go to anyone, really. I still wonder what's in Yuuko's bag, though.

"But you're 10 years too late." That part killed me. That part was just a knife to the heart.
"It's a tragic misunderstanding that could have been easily avoided if he just finished his sentence in time!"

— Richard Watterson (The Amazing World of Gumball)
Nov 12, 2015 5:59 PM

May 2015
HalAnime said:
That was f*cked up ;_; I cried and my stomach hurt from how disgusting that scenario was my god, that's the most horrible scenario I've heard in any anime.

You haven't watched much anime, have you? XD
"It's a tragic misunderstanding that could have been easily avoided if he just finished his sentence in time!"

— Richard Watterson (The Amazing World of Gumball)
Dec 13, 2015 1:12 PM

Jan 2010
This episode grasped some very realistic concepts that can happen to anyone...

"If something such as God truly existed, there is none now.
There's too many people who hate fate, God would have been killed by them"

5/5
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Feb 11, 2016 1:10 PM

Aug 2015
wow, absolutely loved the end! had to watch it 4 times in a row.
Sep 4, 2016 8:59 PM

Jun 2015
Wow. I've seen a lot of crazy, intense, heart-breaking anime, but that ending was absolutely chilling. Amazing episode I'll never forget!
Dec 1, 2016 8:18 AM

Jun 2013
why is there no horror tag cause the ending scared the shit out of me
Dec 17, 2016 4:35 AM

Mar 2015
IT WAZ A OKAY EPISODE, rather meh. The repetition of Shaft style didnt impressed me this time.
Yuuko being raped doesnt surprise me because I have seen that kind of pattern many times.

Instrumental OP was nice change though.

3.1/5
Jan 3, 2017 4:22 PM

Nov 2016
Well, what can I say? They simply did it again. Amazing.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 11, 2017 7:50 PM

Sep 2011
Wow that was some dark stuff!
Apr 17, 2017 10:43 AM

Jul 2011
Short story:

Constantly raped and tortured girl,
who instead of doing something to prevent (is there any police in their planet?),
still continues living with his "relative" rapist,
is trying to destroy life of the boy, who refused to be her "brother" (incest warning on :D) 10 years before, when they were kids.

lol

The plot is so dumb that even great animation and acting atmosphere won't help it.

:|
Oct 8, 2017 5:30 PM
Nov 2014
nick_el_son said:
Short story:

Constantly raped and tortured girl,
who instead of doing something to prevent (is there any police in their planet?),
still continues living with his "relative" rapist,
is trying to destroy life of the boy, who refused to be her "brother" (incest warning on :D) 10 years before, when they were kids.

lol

The plot is so dumb that even great animation and acting atmosphere won't help it.

:|

It might seem dumb. No, it IS dumb, but as dumb as it is, it's still something that happens all the time, not in fiction, but in the real world we live in. A lot of times victims of sexual abuse don't turn to authorities, especially if they are really young, as in Yuuko's case.

Often victims feel embarassment and even guilt for what is happening to them, even more so if the abuser is someone really close, like a relative. Plus, as Yuuko says not in the anime, but in the VN, "she felt like she had nowhere else to go".

But wait, there is even more, in spoiler though:

All this might still seem stupid to you. I don't blame you, it's really difficult to put yourself in such a person's shoes. Just keep in mind that it's really easy to manipulate an already broken person, especially if really young, and there are many cases in real life in which they unfortunately don't seek help until it's too late.
Nov 11, 2017 6:48 AM

Jul 2008
All I can really do is ask.....WHO??????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 21, 2019 3:18 PM

May 2016
Unique episodes like these don't exist these days...

I still think Yu didn't do anything wrong a kid at that age losing her sister, who would replace her with a stranger?
Mar 29, 2020 11:10 PM

Aug 2017
Didn't like. I dislike twisted anime.
Aug 19, 2020 3:14 AM

Sep 2019
Fuck, absolutely mind fucking episode. Shit I'm traumatized, kinda expected but getting raphed everyday!

Need to watch some K-ON! For refreshment of my heart and mind.
Jul 31, 2021 2:34 PM

Feb 2020
Wow, another great episode from Ef. (It reminded me a lot of some scenes from the Sodachi arc in Owarimonogatari (I coincidentally rewatched some of them today), and that's a very big compliment.) I don't really know what to say, except that I obviously feel so bad for Yuuko, and also that I love how this episode made us feel not just how Yuuko feels, but also how Yuu does after hearing all this. How he realizes he could've saved her, but that it is now too late. That he does truly love her, but he loves someone who is now just a broken shell of her former self. I can't blame him though, he was just a kid back then, he couldn't have guessed what would happen to her afterwards.
But I think the most terrifying part, is that things like this actually happen in real life. We might have met people in such a situation without even knowing it. That's so scary, and so sad.
FafetteAug 1, 2021 12:55 AM
Aug 15, 2021 3:36 AM
Jan 2021
[quote=HalAnime message=42187246]That was f*cked up ;_; I cried and my stomach hurt from how disgusting that scenario was my god, that's the most horrible scenario I've heard in any anime.[same here]
Aug 15, 2021 3:38 AM
Jan 2021
[quote=TrumpMD message=59461602]Didn't like. I dislike twisted anime.[ i gave it 1/10 and it has 8/10 i wonder how people like this stuff]
Sep 2, 2021 2:39 PM
Oct 2018
That final scene is completely insane. I love how everything seems to be going in the right path but then Yuu doesn't stand to hear all that and wants to run away while Yuuko blames him for something that he isn't actually responsible. And that direction and voice acting were insane, 5 minutes of still frames made a freaking thriller of a scene much better than normal character animation would. The script also gets the point on representing incredibly well Yuuko's suffering
Akkarin! Hai!
May 1, 2022 6:33 PM

Feb 2009
This one was heavy, I already suspected that her "brother" was a big son of a *
May 14, 2022 7:38 PM
Oct 2018
Currently rewatching. Amazing story, the visuals and music. Take your time with this one; 3 episodes a week max. If you like this one give “Secret” by Jay Chou a try.
Sep 7, 2022 2:53 PM

May 2018
Wow those are some nice bloodshot eyes...

And man, I really hope Amamiya-sensei gets what he deserves
Sep 18, 2022 1:47 PM

Jan 2013
MAD_Minori said:
This is more horrifying than most horror series have to offer. The art, the pain, the symbolism... I'm done.
Fck dude, couldn't be more true, horror series usually only try to scare you with bloody imagery and some crazy scenes but this psychological horror just hits way harder.
Absolutely amazing directing and animation / art this episode, I would say it even tops episode 7 of "Memories".
Also the slow realization when Yuuko was talking about her "Onii-chan" and the loss of that brother's sister changing to Akira instead of Yuu, just fantastic

The stuff Yuuko's had to go through ... absolutely disgusting but to blame Yuu for not taking her in at that time is a bit harsh imo.
Oct 30, 2022 12:15 PM

Feb 2015
Well this episode was incredible.
In every aspect. The visuals, the music, the story.
Pure SHAFT quality.

10/10
A true man never dies.
May 8, 2023 11:28 AM

Jan 2013
haha yuuko got raped. akira is total scum.
Jun 6, 2023 9:19 AM

Jul 2016
The raw dread conveyed from hearing Yuko detailing how she was dehumanized is one thing. Imagining what she herself went through all those nights and how that makes any uneasiness felt from that scene be utterly insiginificant in comparison is what truly got to me. Not to mention all the guilt that was just unloaded on our dude Himura.

Well, that's a scene that's going to be permanently burned into my memory. The music man, holy crap.
Nov 15, 2023 11:23 AM

Jan 2020
Incest, rape, black on red, suddenly turning dark and fucked up...

Are you telling me Ikuhara wasn't involved in this?
MOKUSHI KUSHIMO SHIMOKU KUMOSHI MOSHIKU SHIKUMO.
Nov 30, 2023 5:52 PM

Jan 2010
It's a bit of a rarity in anime, but it's interesting how ef consistently manages to make nudity unsettling. Maybe that's just conditioning, as nudity is usually used as a metaphor for characters rendering their twisted personalities and traumas bare.
Nov 30, 2023 5:53 PM

Jan 2010
It's an interesting phenomenon, when a miserable person just wants to be miserable, and they'd lash out towards anyone who would have the audiacity to try and make them feel anything else but misery. In a way, that thought process is addictive, where you get trapped in this black hole, and while it's painful, it's also comforting in a way. It's like living in a blistering cold darkness, where the slightest exposure to light can burn the eyes. Or, perhaps it's like the fear of placing a band-aid on an open wound, as pulling it off afterwards would result in additional pain.

I'm once again reminded of my watch through of ef - a tale of memories, as well as other similar shows like Scum's Wish. These aren't pleasant people, and they go out of their way to hurt themselves and each other. Perhaps it's because they're so miserable that they want some divine intervention to either fix whatever's wrong with them, or strike them down where they stand. After all, if they haven't been punished yet, certainly they haven't gone far enough to warrant anything significant.

Perhaps it's a way to test their environment, to see how far they can hurt themselves and others before they hit their physical and emotional limit. Perhaps it's akin to an adrenaline junkie, attempting to inject some emotional high in their emotionally dead world. Perhaps they hurt others to override their own pain, or even hurt themselves in ways to make their prior pain seem insignificant, like stabbing themselves in a spot where they previously had a minor bruise. The frustrating part is how they never actually go over the edge to purposefully and willingly inflict permanent damage. Even in their self-inflicted suffering, they never actually commit to all the threats they seem to imply. They're just trapped in their indecision, held back by the fear of actually going down paths of no return, whether if that's committing to a relationship, severing one in its entirety, or taking their own lives out of absolute despair.

I haven't enjoyed my experience with ef, and I would struggle to imagine whom I could ever recommend to watch it. I can't even say it's fascinating or engrossing, as it's difficult to continuously watch characters make terrible decisions on purpose, then wallow in despair about making those terrible decisions. However, I can tell that it's a well made show about terrible people, as it doesn't shy away from depicting them at their worst. I also absolutely love the visual representations of festering madness, the use of colorful and monochrome light and shadow to create fantastic set pieces, and how there's two sets of overlapping stories occurring in the past and present. I'm astounded by how the anime is designed, but goddamn it's hard to watch.
Dec 18, 2023 7:40 PM
Panzer Vor!

Jun 2014
Holy shit....i got no words.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Poll: » ef - a tale of melodies Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

aidouca - Dec 22, 2008

257 by SenpaiMY92 »»
Dec 10, 2023 7:20 AM

Poll: » ef - a tale of melodies Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

slayer545-sama - Dec 16, 2008

87 by Shocked »»
Nov 30, 2023 5:54 PM

Poll: » ef - a tale of melodies Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

slayer545-sama - Dec 8, 2008

196 by Shocked »»
Nov 30, 2023 5:54 PM

Poll: » ef - a tale of melodies Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

slayer545-sama - Dec 2, 2008

84 by Shocked »»

Poll: » ef - a tale of melodies Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

slayer545-sama - Nov 24, 2008

89 by Shocked »»
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.