Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Oct 31, 2012 4:09 PM
Jul 2012
akutasame94 said:
BlueOni said:
JavierR said:
get called onii-chan and you win the game.

enyoeos said:
the first girl to call us onii-chan~ she is the one you just know she is the one.

Ahhahahaha....

So true xD

Lol
Oct 31, 2012 6:03 PM

Oct 2009
GoldenBRS said:
akutasame94 said:
BlueOni said:
JavierR said:

enyoeos said:
the first girl to call us onii-chan~ she is the one you just know she is the one.

Ahhahahaha....

So true xD

Lol

That would covers almost every little girl as they use it as honorific name calling to older people...
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
Oct 31, 2012 10:47 PM
May 2007
Aversa said:
ParaParaJMo said:
as for percentages, keep in mind that the foreign population of japan is 2% and amongst that 2% more than 90% of them are from neighboring asian countries like china and korea
So as someone from as a Western person we really stand out in Japan.
Tho i did hear that Japanese people tend to be more open towards Western people then those of nearby Asian countries.
However i don't know whether this is true.

Well japan, china, and Korea don't have the best relations
Oct 31, 2012 10:48 PM
Oct 2012
I want to move japan, because Japan is very beautiful country, I like it and technology of japan is very famous..
Nov 1, 2012 1:49 AM

Apr 2012
Deliaa said:
I want to move japan, because Japan is very beautiful country, I like it and technology of japan is very famous..

What is wrong with your English? Like, pretty much everything.
Dies Irae! :)
Nov 1, 2012 4:31 AM

Jul 2008
Aerbage said:
Deliaa said:

What is wrong with your English? Like, pretty much everything.

Nothing wrong with his English, he just want to move Japan.
Nov 1, 2012 4:51 AM

Sep 2009
Danny choo's website
I believe that this would give you some clues on what Japan is like. But no one can really tell you what your experiences there are gonna be like so have fun and all the best in Japan =).
wayne101Nov 1, 2012 4:55 AM
Nov 1, 2012 5:05 AM

Oct 2012
wayne101 said:
Danny choo's website
I believe that this would give you some clues on what Japan is like. But no one can really tell you what your experiences there are gonna be like so have fun and all the best in Japan =).

Yeah I've had that recommended to me before, its definitely got some good information on it.

Thank you!
Nov 1, 2012 11:34 AM

Dec 2011
azzuRe said:
GoldenBRS said:
akutasame94 said:
BlueOni said:
JavierR said:

enyoeos said:

Ahhahahaha....

So true xD

Lol

That would covers almost every little girl as they use it as honorific name calling to older people...

After you get closer to them :) Random girl is not going to call you onii-chan
Nov 1, 2012 5:02 PM

Mar 2012
Tokyo, this is just from what I heard supposedly it is VERY foreign friendly, alot of english everywhere as it's the state capital and one of most visited places, akihabara otaku electronic street really competitive gaming arcades lol out of curiousity, your hole family is moving there? did they want to live in japan that bad? really kinda cool your hole family wants to go, I've been wanting to go to japan for a while I learned some japanese as well but it costs way too much for me lol

also you should be asking this question here probably:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=japan%20about&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&ved=0CC8QFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.japan-guide.com%2F&ei=Yw2TUIGoKo2s8ATo2IFo&usg=AFQjCNGvuX7oyywkrYZGc65SjwS_ABWhWw

yesh I'm too lazy to copy the short link
Nov 1, 2012 5:28 PM
Jul 2012
akutasame94 said:
azzuRe said:
GoldenBRS said:
akutasame94 said:
BlueOni said:
JavierR said:

enyoeos said:

Ahhahahaha....

So true xD

Lol

a man can dream.

I want to go to japan for that sole reason, after that i don't think i will have any further business being there.

Honestly I wish America had a honorifics system like japan :(
Nov 1, 2012 5:39 PM

Jan 2009
Smooched said:
You can expect everything being more expensive. From food, to parking, to rent.

People are very polite. They treat foreigners well. Are you living in Tokyo, or regions near it?

Do they really treat foreigners that well?
So finally some that does not look down on foreigners.
As far as I know every place i've been to they look down on us
Nov 1, 2012 5:42 PM

Oct 2012
jefba said:
Smooched said:

People are very polite. They treat foreigners well. Are you living in Tokyo, or regions near it?

Suppose it depends where you are from, but if they are quick to judge I suppose that would be the case..
Nov 1, 2012 5:45 PM

Nov 2010
JavierR said:
akutasame94 said:
azzuRe said:
GoldenBRS said:
akutasame94 said:
BlueOni said:
JavierR said:

enyoeos said:

Ahhahahaha....

So true xD

Lol

a man can dream.

I want to go to japan for that sole reason, after that i don't think i will have any further business being there.

Honestly I wish America had a honorifics system like japan :(
So you aren't planning on finding a hill with a big sakura tree overlooking a city. And you call yourself a real anime fan.
Nov 1, 2012 5:48 PM
Jul 2012
IntroverTurtle said:
So you aren't planning on finding a hill with a big sakura tree overlooking a city. And you call yourself a real anime fan.

That completely slipped my mind. D: It's not like im gonna go to japan anyways, im gonna be forever broke.
Nov 1, 2012 6:03 PM

Nov 2010
JavierR said:
IntroverTurtle said:

That completely slipped my mind. D: It's not like im gonna go to japan anyways, im gonna be forever broke.
Think of it, here in America you will never find a girl to call you oni chan(without getting arrested and having to stay 100 yards from schools and chuckie cheeses) and you will never find the hill. You better save up your money.
Nov 1, 2012 6:06 PM

Feb 2009
JavierR said:
IntroverTurtle said:

Amen.
Nov 1, 2012 6:12 PM

Mar 2012
you could always stow away on a boat, or try to ship urself EMS overseas or something prob 100$ and u could bring abunch of canned food just hope customs dont check lol the japanese guy u get dilvered too will be surprised just say daijoubu desu and walk away waving dont forget to bow and say summimasen when he opens up the box gotto be polite lol
YakuzaPikachuNov 1, 2012 6:17 PM
Nov 1, 2012 6:17 PM
Jul 2012
I don't even speak japanese lol. I'll just wait until my next life and pray to be born in japan. Or go to college and find a transfer program to go to japan. Idk which one is more likely
Nov 1, 2012 6:34 PM

Jul 2011
jefba said:
Smooched said:

If you're just going for a vacation, yes, you probably will not witness anything but kindness. If you plan on living in Japan or being there for an extended period of time, then most than likely you will see how xenophobic people can be. Although, Caucasians are probably more sensitive to this, because it's something they aren't use to =P But from my time in Japan, I can say I have never lived in another area where people were more polite or kind as a whole. Which really offset the few negative encounters.

Nov 1, 2012 6:47 PM

Nov 2010
YakuzaPikachu said:
you could always stow away on a boat, or try to ship urself EMS overseas or something prob 100$ and u could bring abunch of canned food just hope customs dont check lol the japanese guy u get dilvered too will be surprised just say daijoubu desu and walk away waving dont forget to bow and say summimasen when he opens up the box gotto be polite lol
Has to be wearing a mahou shoujo outfit too.
Nov 2, 2012 4:06 AM

Dec 2011
JavierR said:
IntroverTurtle said:

Try out for mext scholarship :D I am going to :D I will probably get it :) So I will be on a plane for Japan on April 7th :)

And even If I don't I know many people there (from my country ofc) and I will manage to go there :)
Nov 2, 2012 4:11 AM

Oct 2012
Ok so, list of things to do, find a cute girl without ugly teeth to call me Onii-chan without paying her, and find a huge Sakura tree on a hill.

cheers looks like I'm going to be there a while anyways, might as well set some Nigh impossible goals :P
Nov 2, 2012 4:18 AM

Dec 2011
vbyo said:
Ok so, list of things to do, find a cute girl without ugly teeth to call me Onii-chan without paying her, and find a huge Sakura tree on a hill.

cheers looks like I'm going to be there a while anyways, might as well set some Nigh impossible goals :P

Trust me ugly teethare just a myth, although that is not rare in Japan :D But most people you meet will be normal :)
Nov 2, 2012 4:22 AM

Aug 2012
You should check this out.
If I were to go to Japan, I would definitely go to one of these places.
And yes, if you could get a girl to call you onii-chan, I'll call you god.

Anime Pilgrimage
Nov 2, 2012 4:26 AM

Dec 2011
Necro-sama said:

Anime Pilgrimage

To be honest that's hardly going to happen :D

First older women will not call you that,not that it can't happen, but it is mostly reserved for younger people :D

And one more thing... Women and guys too, are not shy like in anime. Actually women there like to play with guys and not tell them immediately what they feel :D

EDIT:

http://punynari.wordpress.com/2010/10/03/clannad-anime-pilgrimage/

I had just seen this.... Damn I almost peed in my pants... I am selling one of my kidneys and going there immediately
Nov 2, 2012 4:33 AM

Apr 2012
Talking about anime pilgrimage, if there's one thing you need to do in Japan, it's going to Ghibli's studios, and go inside the catbus. I doesn't move, but imagine that feel when you'll be able to tell your friends, haloing with a subtle yet majestic aura, eyes gazing in the distance, a light breeze ruffling your hair: "I rode the catbus".
EratiKNov 2, 2012 4:56 AM
Nov 2, 2012 4:37 AM

Aug 2012
akutasame94 said:
Necro-sama said:

Anime Pilgrimage

First older women will not call you that,not that it can't happen, but it is mostly reserved for younger people :D

And one more thing... Women and guys too, are not shy like in anime. Actually women there like to play with guys and not tell them immediately what they feel :D

EDIT:

I had just seen this.... Damn I almost peed in my pants... I am selling one of my kidneys and going there immediately

I'm trying to find that video of a foreigner that made an interviewer call him onii-chan. That guy is god.

Sell both of your kidneys and send me some money so that I could go there with you. We could roleplay as Tomoya and dying Nagisa.
Nov 2, 2012 4:53 AM

Dec 2011
Necro-sama said:
akutasame94 said:
Necro-sama said:

Anime Pilgrimage

EDIT:

I'm trying to find that video of a foreigner that made an interviewer call him onii-chan. That guy is god.

Sell both of your kidneys and send me some money so that I could go there with you. We could roleplay as Tomoya and dying Nagisa.

Yeah not gonna happen xD I need at least one... And two guys roleplaying one of the most romantic and touching scenes xD YEah not gonna happen xD

You searched for this?

akutasame94Nov 2, 2012 4:58 AM
Nov 2, 2012 5:08 AM

Aug 2012
Nah, it's not that guy. That maid cosplayer had some really cute reactions though.

We could adopt a child an name her Ushio too, c'mon I know you want to.
Nov 2, 2012 9:22 AM

Aug 2012
Found the video. I only understand 20% what they are saying though.

Danish guy interviewed on japanese tv.
Nov 3, 2012 7:20 AM

Dec 2011
Necro-sama said:
Nah, it's not that guy. That maid cosplayer had some really cute reactions though.

We could adopt a child an name her Ushio too, c'mon I know you want to.

No I don't....... Please stop making gay stuff :D
Nov 3, 2012 4:40 PM
May 2007
Funny after I moved to Japan, I progressively stopped watching anime except what comes out in theaters from time to time (specifically Berserk and Code Geass)
Nov 4, 2012 7:06 PM

Dec 2009
this is rare
bottleNov 4, 2012 7:11 PM
Nov 4, 2012 7:10 PM
Jun 2012
Godzilla, robots and ninjas.
Nov 6, 2012 5:33 AM

Oct 2012
Plenty of half naked girls with kitty/bunny costumes, maids, anime @>@ rapists, cool people, tasty air, yummy lolis (and shota depending on you), yummy language, hot girls @>@ and uh finaly meh music
Nov 6, 2012 8:18 AM

Oct 2012
SymphonicMotion said:
Plenty of half naked girls with kitty/bunny costumes, maids, anime @>@ rapists, cool people, tasty air, yummy lolis (and shota depending on you), yummy language, hot girls @>@ and uh finaly meh music

haha thanks xD Can't wait to check out them maid cafes.
Nov 6, 2012 10:52 AM

May 2010
I am currently living in Hong Kong. In Hong Kong I do not have a single feeling of being discriminated or any of this kind. I realize that Hong Kong and Japan are both completely different countries. However, the reason I mention this is because I want to restate how important it is to know the local language. Hong Kong has been a British colony for a long time and English has been a main language here, however, it is barely spoken at all. People are shy to communicate in English and prefer talking Cantonese. It is really important to be able to communicate in their preferred language. You have the odd case that may wants to talk in English with you, but mostly to gain better English speaking skills. For example: when I go to my fiancée her family it is greatly appreciated if I try to talk Cantonese, at first I tried to talk in English with them -- which was one of my worst experiences ever.

In my third university year I have been to Japan for my internship for a year. Without a doubt my time would have been way worse if it hadn't been for the sake of my Japanese. I was able to speak some basic Japanese, JLPT4, and people really appreciated that I did try to speak in their language. Even though I made tons of mistakes the people were friendly to communicate with me and help me. Likewise as in Hong Kong, I did not experience any discrimination towards me. What I experienced in both China and Japan is the hate they harbor for each other. Japanese people dislike Chinese people and it is the same the other way around, of course there are exceptions to the rule -- but this is the general way they think. There's also a lot of sexism in Japan, so be prepared for this. As this is definitely one of the things that you'll notice a lot.

Just try to speak Japanese and I am sure you will enjoy your time. ;) BTW, Tokyo is absolutely amazing! However, if you have the chance you should definitely visit the countryside, it is beautiful.
YzoriNov 6, 2012 11:00 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 9, 2012 4:06 AM
Jul 2018
Cheap food.. Lots of variety of cheap food..

Lots of anime, manga, and video games all over the places..

Lots of electronics from one area to another..

Most Japanese people cannot speak English and most restaurants do not have English menus.. If you don't know Japanese, you are screwed..

Rent is cheap.. Luxurious places are also cheap..

What else..?
Nov 9, 2012 6:27 AM
May 2009
Cheap food I really doubt it. But Interesting stuff is all.
My friend went to tokyo and said it was rubbish. But I reckon she went to the wrong place for Traditional Japanese Culture.
Nov 9, 2012 3:38 PM
Jul 2018
Charliehsv said:
shintai88 said:
Cheap food I really doubt it. But Interesting stuff is all.
My friend went to tokyo and said it was rubbish. But I reckon she went to the wrong place for Traditional Japanese Culture.

It's not the traditional japanese food that's the best, it's junky stuff like tonkatsu and takoyaki which taste good imo. Karaage all you can eat...*drool*
Although if you eat really cheaply it's going to taste crap, like matsuya gyuudon for 260 yen or something.

Matsuya gyuumeshi is delicious.. I can eat that everyday..

A bowl of gyuumeshi is 280 yen while a Gyuumeshi Tonjiru set is 500 yen which isn't expensive even though you can easily get some delicious burgers at Family Mart for 105 yen or so.. Add a drink for another 105 yen or so.. Fairly cheap..

One thing to expect there is earthquakes.. It happens very often all over the places..
Nov 9, 2012 6:59 PM
May 2007
i never liked mosburger. freshness burger i went a few times when i was in matsuyama. i also havent had matsuya in a very long time. i love sukiya best in terms of gyudon
Nov 10, 2012 1:04 AM
Nov 2012
You could see alot of stuff and High-Tech industries. You won't need to Speak Japanese in schools you'll just need English, Japanese you will learn trough Classes. You'll need to speak English with people. You wont see alot of English in Japan .

If you're going to some kind of school you'll need to wear uniforms. (Like in England or in Private schools).

Food is good and it doesn't cost's alot, but you'll still need to find a Job in JAPAN to live.

Apartments are smaller then in Sydney.

I hope it helped. :)
Nov 10, 2012 3:44 AM
Jul 2018
ParaParaJMo said:
i never liked mosburger. freshness burger i went a few times when i was in matsuyama. i also havent had matsuya in a very long time. i love sukiya best in terms of gyudon

I love MOS Burger as that its the only place that offers a rice burger with scallops, shrimps, and tasty sauce in it.. OP should give it a try.. Well, the burger is 300 yen which is about 3 times the price of a typical Family Mart burger though..
Nov 22, 2012 5:27 PM
Dec 2011
vbyo said:
Hey guys, I'm in my 20's and my family is moving to Tokyo japan, now I've always wanted to move here, so It just so happens to turn that I can work from home, and it yeah I'm moving to japan in a year.

I've really only spoken English, bit of japanese in school but yeah never listened in school so won't remember shit.

I'm from Sydney, Australia and yeah if someone has similar experience moving to a foreign country without knowing the language could give some advice, or more specifically Tokyo that' be bloody fantastic.

cheerrss

Your kidding me right? You live in an AMAZING place and moving to somewhere AMAZING I am jealous as f RIGHT NOW! I live in a crappy place and dream of living somewhere awesome.

Ok my rant sorry! But I must say LUCKY and I wish to visit Australia/Japan one day! Good luck

As for what to look for I don't know never been there =[ awesome anime movies you get to see ahead of everyone I guess.
Dec 11, 2012 8:11 AM

May 2012
try learning a bit of Japanese and learning about the kind of foods they have too. They have a HUGE variety of cuisine. Happy Traveling!

"If the king does not lead, how can he expect his subordinates to follow?" - Lelouch Vi Brittania
Dec 24, 2018 8:41 PM

Jun 2014
Well, maybe it's just a coincidence, but nearly 90% of westerners who move to Japan start going bald after barely a year of living there.

I like my hair, so I'll stay where I am, and not go to Japan.

Dec 25, 2018 10:06 AM

Dec 2007
A country that lives in the 2050's. Closest to Cyberpunk in reality so far.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Do you live with regrets?

Lightskynight - Apr 18

17 by DoctorWasabi »»
14 minutes ago

» 2023-2024 NBA Season Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

deg - Jun 18, 2023

683 by Jozuwa-_- »»
17 minutes ago

Poll: » Are you mentally ill? ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 24

50 by DoctorWasabi »»
30 minutes ago

Poll: » Would you be a good partner? ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

69 by DoctorWasabi »»
54 minutes ago

» Do you think there should be an age limit on friendship?

Thy-Veseveia - Feb 28

47 by Zhenro »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.