Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Oct 29, 2012 4:45 AM

Jul 2008
Expect a lot of vending machines
Expect that you will be labelled as "Gaijin" or Foreigner - you're already stereotyped by them once they know your a foreigner. Doesn't matter though, most of them are nice.

Most Japanese in cities can actually understand english, and most of the stores knows english. So don't worry about not being able to speak Japanese.

Clothes are expensive - its cheaper in S.Korea and they look the same. Some Japanese visit S.korea and spend most of their money on clothes rather than visiting sites and stuff.

If you want to pay bills and such, you can go to the nearest store and pay for it - its really convenient. They use their phones to pay for stuff, use the bus, trains and so on. You can still do it the old fashion way, but most people do it with their phones.

Don't worry about speaking Japanese. Once you're in the country, you'll eventually learn how to speak and understand their language. Like they say, its better to learn a new language by being surrounded by the people who speaks it.

You'll be fine in Tokyo, its a city after all - its just a matter of whether you experience a culture shock or you automatically fit in. I moved in a more rural-ish area of Japan, so it was harder for me to fit in. TV sucked - no cable, super fast internet though. Japanese TV really sucks.

Also, some Japanese girls are cute only when they're not showing their teeth. You'll find out eventually.
Oct 29, 2012 4:49 AM

Aug 2012
If you could get a random Japanese girl to call you Onii-chan on a random street, I'll call you god.

And yes, most Japanese people are nice and friendly despite you being a gaijin.

johnkx said:
Also, some Japanese girls are cute only when they're not showing their teeth. You'll find out eventually.

Those are nasty... had a bad experience with those Japanese exchange program students.
Oct 29, 2012 4:49 AM

Oct 2012
Yeah, I've heard about the gaijin thing haha there are gaijin hunters who are obsessed with foreigners and they can be all creepy and stuff, cousin was over there for a month a few years ago and he was saying he had 2 girls stalking him.
Oct 29, 2012 5:49 AM

Dec 2008
NicoleB said:
DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:
what makes you think they hate blacks? if anything they ironically hold more of a grudge against caucasions, i mean really anything not asian gets the msot hate, but caucasions are just like the plague to them

Friend of mine has lived in Japan for around 2 years ago~, sheis a caucasion and has never had a problem, if anything they said that people are too polite and she often has to deal with people being too friendly (not in the pervy sense, although that is someone you'll have to deal with if your unlucky).

From what my sister has said, it seems that the Japanese tend to use over-politeness as a way of maintaining distance with those they don't like, as well as showing utmost respect to those they do like. I imagine it must get very confusing not knowing which applies to you.
Oct 29, 2012 6:53 AM

Nov 2011
My advice: stay in Australia

You don't know japanese, what are you going to do there? What future do you see in Australia to a person that can't write english? The same applies for you there ^^ ...Let's assume that you will spend two years in intensive japanese courses, then what? In the labor market you are going to be a foreigner with only jlpt n5 vs native speakers with college degrees, why someone would hire you? What can you offer that all those japanese can't? =o In the foreigner level you have to consider the proximity with China, chinese are more fluent in japanese due to language approximation and work for less money xD If you want to teach english in private institutions that don't ask for a teaching degree, in Japan there are already 90.000 foreigners from native english countries and private institutions prefer people from England and USA

The foreigners that most quickly find a middle class job are engineers with jlpt n4 or n5, and we are talking of six months, a year, imagine someone without a degree

Anyway, if you work with your parents you can solve those problems, good luck
Oct 29, 2012 7:12 AM

Aug 2010
zeneevee said:
Yeah being able to speak Japanese is almost a requirement if you are to live there. I can't imagine living in a foreign country for any amount of time being unable to speak the language.

Its funny you say that, because I am from Australia, and a lot of people who come over here to live can't speak the language. I work in customer service and its a bloody pain in the ass.
Eyes always lose their fire

Oct 29, 2012 7:18 AM

Oct 2012
Sashface said:
zeneevee said:
Yeah being able to speak Japanese is almost a requirement if you are to live there. I can't imagine living in a foreign country for any amount of time being unable to speak the language.

Its funny you say that, because I am from Australia, and a lot of people who come over here to live can't speak the language. I work in customer service and its a bloody pain in the ass.

Funniest shit I've read tonight, that is so true ... I worked a year ago in a warehouse in north sydney and the hole thing was full of Indian's I was the only Australian, I couldn't understand a word.
Oct 29, 2012 7:26 AM

Oct 2012
the worst
Oct 29, 2012 8:00 AM

Oct 2012
BloodRequiem said:
Perverts on the trains.
Vending machine selling panties.
Sex toy shops.
Everything expensive as hell.

Lol So true
Oct 29, 2012 8:19 AM

Feb 2012
"I will close my eyes and let the darkness be the light that guides me through the path of chaos"

Call me the Jelly Factory. I'm the world's largest producer of jelly.
Oct 29, 2012 8:21 AM
May 2009
They drive on the left. Not sure if Austrialia is the same.
They are overly polite to foreigners from what I hear.
Oct 29, 2012 8:29 AM
Jul 2018
Rape.
Oct 29, 2012 9:29 AM

Jun 2012
100kitty said:
BloodRequiem said:
Perverts on the trains.
Vending machine selling panties.
Sex toy shops.

Lol So true

I agree, they are too 'forthright to this stuff.
Oct 29, 2012 10:20 AM
Mar 2012
Japanese people.
Oct 29, 2012 10:22 AM

Jul 2008
Surprise buttsecks by invisible ninjas
Oct 29, 2012 12:20 PM

May 2009
Bernd said:
Surprise buttsecks by invisible ninjas

Forgot to mention this.
Oct 29, 2012 1:42 PM

Jul 2012
Well I haven't lived in Japan, but I have lived in south-east Asia for most of my life, and I'd say expect a lot of stereotypical judgement's and opinions about you. It's probably worse in Japan than what I experienced from what I've heard of Japan's racism.

If you really want to fit in, just put Legend of the Galactic Heroes in your top 5 and have it be the only 10-rated anime in your list.
Oct 29, 2012 1:57 PM
May 2007
I have lived in Japan for 3 years and have lived in 5 cities (Sakaide, Matsuyama, Hiroshima, Shibata, and Warabi). I dont know why your family is moving to Japan but Tokyo is a more foreigner accomodating city compared to some places. The trains in rush hour are way more crowded than you see in pictures or videos. It is hard to breathe at times. During those hours, women can ride in their own trains.

Japan is a very safe country and one of the safest in the world, but the shitty thing is that it is one of the most expensive places in the world right now and it is really worse if you are an American because of the exchange rate. If you are coming to Japan from America, your money will get violated like a school girl because of that.

But if you are an anime fan, going to Akihabara I am assuming is a lot of fun for you. I live less than half an hour away from there so I go every other weekend.

It is funny I have never seen any vending machines with used school girl panties.

I recommend you and your family go to the Skytree. It is incredibly fun.

Do you know which part of Tokyo you are moving to? Like Shinjuku? Shinigawa? Taito? Meguro? Toshima? Kita? Itabashi? I live pretty close to Itabashi and Kita.

If you plan on driving, and if you have a license prepare a document that says you have been driving for more than 3 years so you can get the Japanese license. Thankfully Australians and other citizens of commonwealth countries dont have to take the stupid ass driving test to get the licesne. Just the written test. The license test is the most stupidest thing I have ever done in my life and taking it, I now began to realize why minorities call standardized testing racist in America.

And most of all, be prepared to become an AKB48 fan
Oct 29, 2012 9:18 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
Good for you. Careful with "average" highschool kids, they may look normal, but who know what they're hiding.
Oct 29, 2012 9:36 PM

Oct 2012
Bloodcalibur said:

good show sir .. good show.
Oct 29, 2012 9:39 PM

Oct 2012
ParaParaJMo said:
I have lived in Japan for 3 years and have lived in 5 cities (Sakaide, Matsuyama, Hiroshima, Shibata, and Warabi). I dont know why your family is moving to Japan but Tokyo is a more foreigner accomodating city compared to some places. The trains in rush hour are way more crowded than you see in pictures or videos. It is hard to breathe at times. During those hours, women can ride in their own trains.

Japan is a very safe country and one of the safest in the world, but the shitty thing is that it is one of the most expensive places in the world right now and it is really worse if you are an American because of the exchange rate. If you are coming to Japan from America, your money will get violated like a school girl because of that.

But if you are an anime fan, going to Akihabara I am assuming is a lot of fun for you. I live less than half an hour away from there so I go every other weekend.

It is funny I have never seen any vending machines with used school girl panties.

I recommend you and your family go to the Skytree. It is incredibly fun.

Do you know which part of Tokyo you are moving to? Like Shinjuku? Shinigawa? Taito? Meguro? Toshima? Kita? Itabashi? I live pretty close to Itabashi and Kita.

If you plan on driving, and if you have a license prepare a document that says you have been driving for more than 3 years so you can get the Japanese license. Thankfully Australians and other citizens of commonwealth countries dont have to take the stupid ass driving test to get the licesne. Just the written test. The license test is the most stupidest thing I have ever done in my life and taking it, I now began to realize why minorities call standardized testing racist in America.

That you ! that is heaps helpful advice ! no specific destination yet I'll have a place setup in a month ish.

Thanks for that license tip also, really helpful :D and yeah I've heard the trains are pretty bad, they have specific carts for females cause they get groped.. oh well see how it goes, thanks for all the helpful advice guys, I'll probably continue to update this when I dig deeper in whats going to happen !
Oct 29, 2012 11:30 PM

Jul 2008
ParaParaJMo said:

Damn it, there's no way I'm moving to Japan now.
Oct 30, 2012 3:54 AM
May 2007
Yeah, Tokyo is the only problem with the gropers on the train from what I know. Keep in mind that to people not from Tokyo within Japan, Tokyo is foreign to them as well. But Tokyo is the most expensive city in the world. I am thinking of moving back to Hiroshima next year or try moving to Osaka or so. But anyway, hit Skytree, Tokyo Tower, Tokyo Bay, race on the Wangan and so on.

What will you personally do in Japan?
Oct 30, 2012 6:43 AM

Oct 2012
GO TO THE BEACHES!!!!! I used to live there for 10 years. Don't bump into anyone!!!
Oct 30, 2012 6:46 AM
Jul 2012
akira1998 said:
GO TO THE BEACHES!!!!! I used to live there for 10 years. Don't bump into anyone!!!

why not?
Oct 30, 2012 6:47 AM

May 2009
JavierR said:
akira1998 said:

why not?

Nice boats.
Oct 30, 2012 7:01 AM

Oct 2012
Last time i was there. I bumped/ran into a guy.... hehehe not the best... he got mad so i ran away and he ran after me......
Oct 31, 2012 3:27 AM
May 2007
i bump into people all the time in tokyo and no one cares.
Oct 31, 2012 3:35 AM

Aug 2012
Just go and have fun, im sure 90% if not all of the people in here wish they were in your shoes for that matter.
Oct 31, 2012 4:14 AM

Mar 2012
I'm pretty sure that K-On is the equivalent of Naruto amongst the otaku over there. Just be aware that they will probably still look down on you for your hobbies
Oct 31, 2012 4:28 AM

Jul 2011
Agree. English is totally useless there.
Oct 31, 2012 4:30 AM

Aug 2012
Be careful, you're gonna see a lot of Japanese looking people.
Oct 31, 2012 4:32 AM

Oct 2012
XeroCleaths said:
Be careful, you're gonna see a lot of Japanese looking people.

Holy shit, what do I do though? do I talk to them or kill them? I'm so confused :p
Oct 31, 2012 5:01 AM

Mar 2012
elevens everywhere
they dont have an eyepatch??
Oct 31, 2012 6:15 AM

Jul 2008
Create said:
elevens everywhere

Oct 31, 2012 6:20 AM
Jul 2012
get called onii-chan and you win the game.
Oct 31, 2012 6:31 AM

Sep 2008
JavierR said:

enyoeos said:
the first girl to call us onii-chan~ she is the one you just know she is the one.
もののあはれ。。。
Oct 31, 2012 7:43 AM

Dec 2007
Amusing topic. But something serious for you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zL7E4HRY_zU

Check out the guys channel, he tells you a lot about the country.
Oct 31, 2012 9:53 AM

Dec 2011
A lot of people staring at you if you aren't Japanese looking.
Oct 31, 2012 11:50 AM

Apr 2010
BloodRequiem said:

Sex toy shops.
Sounds like Amsterdam.
ParaParaJMo said:
Is that similar to being a AK47 fan?

I think you should be prepared that it's a different culture then the one you came from and some things will definitely be different from the things your used to.
In Tokyo the most common way to travel is by train and from what i can tell it's best to avoid those during rush hour since they get so crowded that you would just feel uncomfortable.
I heard they even have people that are hired to push people inside of the train to make sure everyone can get on.
It's also wise to set your cellphone on silent mode when using public transportation and don't pick it up when it rings calling on the train is a major taboo in Japan, text messages and browsing the internet is fine tho.
Also in train stations almost everything is in Japanese so make sure you plan ahead when traveling around Tokyo since it can save you allot of trouble, off course learning Japanese is the best option to avoid this problem.
Oct 31, 2012 11:51 AM

Jun 2012
akb48 iirc was some theater group right
if op is a guy op will probably hear of them
~"The place to improve the world is first in one's own heart and head and hands." (Pirsig)

Oct 31, 2012 12:02 PM

Dec 2011
BlueOni said:
JavierR said:

enyoeos said:
the first girl to call us onii-chan~ she is the one you just know she is the one.

Ahhahahaha....

So true xD
Oct 31, 2012 12:14 PM

Jul 2011
MAL is probably the worst place to ask this question because everything these people know about japan, they learned from watching anime
Oct 31, 2012 12:15 PM

Nov 2010
Allah said:
MAL is probably the worst place to ask this question because everything these people know about japan, they learned from watching anime
Except for the people on this site that live in Japan or have.
Oct 31, 2012 12:31 PM

Jul 2008
IntroverTurtle said:
Allah said:

1 or 2 %?
Oct 31, 2012 12:34 PM

Nov 2010
Bernd said:
IntroverTurtle said:
Allah said:

1 or 2 %?
There have been a couple people just on this thread that have lived in Japan, and there have been multiple people who provided links to serious websites about getting used to life in Japan. I still don't see how it's the worst place to ask a question about it.
Oct 31, 2012 12:41 PM

Jun 2012
Bernd said:
IntroverTurtle said:
Allah said:

1 or 2 %?

You don't have to live in Japan to know anything about that country -.- there is a lot of ways to find out, not only manga/anime. And to understand them, if you really feel like knowing their culture you can just go and sight-seeing, talk with them [ I know it's not so simple, they aren't so welcome to starngers, but hey, not everything is simple in the begining ].
Oct 31, 2012 2:48 PM
May 2007
as for percentages, keep in mind that the foreign population of japan is 2% and amongst that 2% more than 90% of them are from neighboring asian countries like china and korea
Oct 31, 2012 4:06 PM

Apr 2010
ParaParaJMo said:
as for percentages, keep in mind that the foreign population of japan is 2% and amongst that 2% more than 90% of them are from neighboring asian countries like china and korea
So as someone from as a Western person we really stand out in Japan.
Tho i did hear that Japanese people tend to be more open towards Western people then those of nearby Asian countries.
However i don't know whether this is true.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» The level of NoLifer / NEET / Hiki you are?

IpreferEcchi - Apr 22

31 by cody »»
53 minutes ago

Poll: » Would you be a good partner? ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

67 by 3miL »»
2 hours ago

» Manga piracy website operator ordered to pay ¥1.7 billion to publishers

Meusnier - Apr 19

30 by rohan121 »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » What is your average step count? [Poll] Do you think that you should take more steps?

Miscanthus - Today

16 by traed »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » Do you pay attention to forum signatures?

PostMahouShoujo - Apr 24

23 by cody »»
3 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.