3It was OK
9.8%
2Disliked it
2.0%
1Hated it
0.0%
Average 4.6
153 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 22, 2012 2:11 PM

Feb 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
After watching it countless times as a kid, and few times few years ago, it was time to watch it in Japanese. It's obviously way better and the whole story is kinda different. And thank god I didn't have to hear those cheesy lines (Vikings living in Minnesota or something).

While the story isn't something spectacular, the movie was okay. There were some errors that annoyed me a bit like Electric moves defeating a Ground type Pokemon, or a guy flying off on a Pidgeot, shown flying on a Fearow, and then has a Pidgeot again.

Also, gotta love Musashi's "Pikachu~" after Kojiro said "Dare da?"

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Mar 11, 2013 9:55 PM

Dec 2012
great movie. so nostalgic watching it after 10 years
Apr 20, 2013 12:46 AM
Sep 2011
I just got done rewatching this for the first time since it first came out on VHS/DVD and it reaffirms my belief about the new seasons and movies being inferior to the original. Mewtwo's backstory, his goals and the triumphant feel of that moment when Ash emerges from the smoke with the originals... there's just nothing like it.

I still question the idea of Squirtle beating a Machamp in one bubble/beam attack, but that's mostly for cinema.

There were some more errors than the above in the dub, like Pokemon being misnamed here and there, but it's nothing that ruins the enjoyment of the film.

I wanted to watch it in Japanese, but the official DVD subtitles are a word-for-word script of the dub dialog, so it would be pointless since I'm not getting the faithful translation. The aforementioned Minnesota pun in particular is in there.

Either way it's still a highly enjoyable movie and possibly the best thing the Pokemon anime franchise has ever done. I had this movie at an 8, but after rewatching it over a decade later, I feel it deserves a full 10.
May 22, 2013 6:42 AM

Apr 2008
Did anyone else watch the footage of the movie where it showed clones of Bulbasaur, Charmander, Squirtle and also another human clone named Amber/Ai?
Jun 20, 2013 1:11 AM

Jul 2008
Kazejimonji said:
Did anyone else watch the footage of the movie where it showed clones of Bulbasaur, Charmander, Squirtle and also another human clone named Amber/Ai?

Yep just watched that just now, it was interesting but I wish they came back to it at the end of the movie. Or at least did something more with it.

All sorts of nostalgia while watching this movie.
WolfWood37Jun 20, 2013 1:16 AM
Sep 6, 2013 8:25 AM

May 2013
It's crazy how I could live all my life and never be able to say something as cool as Mewtwo.
Jun 1, 2014 7:03 PM

Nov 2013
underratedly the best movie ever.

i've watched this like 10 times over now
Aug 15, 2014 6:11 AM
Sep 2007
Quite different from dub.
Oct 25, 2014 8:55 AM

May 2014
I watched the subbed yesterday and I have to say it made me love this movie even more.

In the backstory of Mewtwo, he started to cry. And so at the end of the movie when all of the other pokemon start to cry, I find that very symbolic.

I'm a lil upset by the fact they had to cut those nice moments in the dubbed version just because it mentioned "god." But I guess it made sense back in the late 90s.

So many childhood feels regardless :) I could careless about all the lil flaws, because no matter what, pokemon is still apart of moi!
Oscar and Andre deserved better
Feb 25, 2015 12:37 PM

Sep 2014
I used to watch this on VHS EVERYDAY when I got home from school. I did that for like 3 months straight. I need to rewatch it subbed soon. I just found out that Ash, Misty, and Brock have real names. LOL
Sep 23, 2015 11:23 AM

Aug 2014
From the first 3 pokemon movies I would say this was my least favourite, but I guess the only reason was because I saw the other ones first. Great movie.

Oh, pitiful shadow cloaked in darkness.
Thy actions cause men pain and suffering.
Thy hollow soul drowns in thy sins.
How would you like to see what death is like?
-Enma Ai
Oct 9, 2015 5:44 PM
Jul 2018
Nov 5, 2015 3:58 AM
Jul 2018
My first movie Pokémon
Jan 13, 2016 5:05 AM

Oct 2012
Cant stop my tears when pikachu cried for ash...

Sep 16, 2016 11:50 AM

Feb 2014
WOW that was awesome! Really epic movie, had some nice comedy in it (especially watching the dub...lol some of those lines are so stupid they're funny), and pretty relevant messages to society. The whole "it's wrong for pokemon to fight!" thing was almost contradictory to the entire franchise, but I guess they were trying to say something more about the reasons why these pokemon were fighting.

8-9/10, that was a really good pokemon movie! The third one wth Entei and Unown has always been my favorite, but after seeing this one I think this might be better! :O
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 20, 2018 11:00 AM
Feb 2018
By the way, through this site you can easily watch the time http://current-time.info/United_Kingdom/England/Derby And in any city and country it is convenient
May 4, 2019 11:26 AM
Jul 2017
Who is gonna see Pokemon: Detective Pikachu in theaters?
Nov 11, 2019 4:54 AM
Jul 2018
Crazy how this movie still makes me cry each time i see it even tho i've already seen it countless times over the last 20 years, pikachu crying is just to much for my heart.
Nostalgia is obviously a part in why i like this movie so much but nostalgia aside, the movie has some legit good aspects too it, mostly mewto's background and character also the pretty dark aesthetics/vibe considering this is a movie for kids.
Dec 6, 2020 6:24 AM
Aug 2014
Uhhhhhhhhhhh BASED!!
Dec 11, 2020 2:38 PM

Jul 2013
Man, it's been 22 years... I still have this film on VHS.

To be honest there is a major issue with this movie: The anti-war message contradicts the premise of the Pokemon franchise, which is Pokemon battles. However, this notion can be a bit toned down if you see your usual Pokemon battles (between Trainers or Gym battles) as a sport, like boxing for example, whereas Mewtwo wants to establish total domination of the clones over the original Pokemon. But who the hell cares anyway? Most of us who grew up in the 90s will always love this movie, haha
NaughtyNoddyMar 20, 2021 4:30 PM
Feb 3, 2021 6:50 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Mewtwo and his misguided mind.
That Pikachu fought Pikachu just cute. But its also sad watching them to be like that. Fortunately, Satoshi stepped his body up to stop the fights, and awakened the power of tears. Touching end.
Farewell, pokemon clones, and Mewtwo. Hope y'all got a happy lifes.
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Aug 9, 2021 4:11 PM

Jul 2016
The Pokemon dub writers are like Amelia Watson trying to name Pokemon in New Pokemon Snap.
May 26, 2022 1:40 AM

Jun 2015
Pokemon isn't the same as before, this movie was extroardinary.
Jun 6, 2022 4:12 PM

Jan 2013
The viking scene was hilarious.
The "Who's that Pokemon" gag was good too.

I'd forgotten how great this movie was, the underlying message albeit simple was well done.
The scene of all the Pokemon's tears saving Ash got me good.

ryshin said:
Cant stop my tears when pikachu cried for ash...

I think majority feel the same way, Pickachu is just too good for this world :D
Sep 27, 2022 7:04 AM
Apr 2022
Most people hated the 4kids dub if the movie because they change it because they hated the original Japanese script, so they changed it in order to take a dump on the original creators.
Jan 30, 2023 12:08 PM

Feb 2019
Like i Said in my Google Review of this Movie

This Anime is Pretty Dark For a Pokemon Movie

This is Like the Pokemon Equivalent to Courage the Cowardly Dog in a Way that You Go From a Cute Story About Kids Taking Care of Wild and Exotic Animals and Training Them

To a Story About Cloning Animals Through Their Hair, Birth, Our Existence in this World etc

You See, I Got into Pokemon Pretty Late (Around 2010 or So) Thanks to Youtubers Like ezpups and her Character Bani and the Floof Tail Wars They Had Going on at the Time (Alongside Pokemon Being the First Game My Friends Played Before they Played Crappy Post 9/11 Shooters Like Call of Duty)

Back on Topic, i Watched this Anime Once When i was 3 Back When Pokemania Was a Thing (This was Back When my Dad Who was alive at the time would bring me home those burger king toys that had the pokeballs after eating at burger king for dinner at jackson square in my hometown) eventually my dad saw that the pokemon toys got my mind off my sister leaving to live in vancouver and me being taken out of diapers and my dad got me a pokemon vhs with this movie on it

but looking back on this movie MAN like i said this movie is DARK (Especially for something as juvenile or flamboyant as pokemon)

though some scenes are pretty cool (like with meowth getting his clone made from a hair strand, the Y2K style CGI when the pokemon get cloned and the brother my brother scene which gave me chills for the first time since i was 3)

the reason why i say this is dark is because pokemon are known for being cute and fluffy these days (especially with most zoomers who grew up on it also getting into the animation meme community through  its initiation process through ezpups's tail wars which bani is a pokemon btw)

and just the idea of a character like bani getting her tail floof plucked and turned into a clone made from dated Y2K era cgi and an artificial womb is really cool but also freaks me out as well

im just glad i didn't watch this after watching her old meme childs play or animal i have become back in 2016
that alone would have gave me nightmares and i was 13 when those videos came out
imagine how something like that would affect an autistic 3 year old at the time who cries at the sight of rock music, cartoony mascots for plumbing companies that actually look creepy and edgy 90s shows like beavis and butthead and the simpsons

otherwise this anime is awesome
baliebox4916Mar 28, 2023 2:13 AM
Mar 21, 2023 7:36 AM
Dec 2022
ok...........................................this movie is mid
May 27, 2023 2:02 AM
Apr 2022
Show Rate Meter Guide  - (5 Great _ 4 Good _ 3 Fine _ 2 Not Good _ 1 Bad).(dismal are sometimes needed)
[Story] - 4
[Art/Animation] - 4
[Sound/Music] - 4
[M-Character] - 4
[S-Character] - 4
[Enjoyment] - 4
[Overall] - 4

My Frist Pokémon Movie, I watched this film countless times as a kid on an old fat big Sony TV and throughout the years growing up a few times never forget how great this film was. But now I decided to watch it for the first time in Japanese, don't get me wrong the English DUB was great and the music hit's good with the film and the Japanese music dose good as well. I just wanted to see how much of a different feel the movie gives me hearing it with the Japanese voice actors and reading it SUB text and I have to say really liked it but I think I love the DUB more. Compared to all the other Pokémon films to this date this movie is has a much darker tone but I still enjoyed the story it was telling, this film almost made me cry and it was one of the first films to do so. Always liked the beginning of the film with the scientist going though the ancient ruin looking for anything about Mew and the first battle with Ash vs the trash trainer.   
Jun 23, 2023 11:27 AM
Oct 2020
even though i knew ash wouldnt die, i was still very sad at the end.
Jun 25, 2023 7:38 AM
May 2023
Para um primeiro filme de Pokémon foi um bom filme, eu gosto e ao mesmo tempo ñ gosto da ideia do Mewtwo ter sido criado por mãos humanas, e ele odiar a humanidade por causa dos testes que foram feitos nele é bem genérico, mas ver esse tema sendo abordado em Pokémon até que me agradou, por isso gostei e ñ gostei ao msm tempo, estaria mentindo se dissesse que esse filme me divertiu

6/10
Jul 19, 2023 12:44 AM

Dec 2012
The Earth.
lol at Purin.
Pocket Monsters.
A battle.
Satoshi. Pikachu.
Mew.
A fossil?
Dat baby Pokemon.
A girl appears. She's human, but just like it?
Hitokage. Fushigidane. Zenigame.
Mewtwo? Aitwo?
Ai...

It's still July 18 somewhere in the world. Happy 25th anniversary. I originally watched this in theaters in English, but of course it moved me, but this was my first time watching it in Japanese, and the content that was cut from the English release blew me away. The movie starts with a recap of Satoshi then goes into Mewtwo's origin. The tone of the movie from these 2 perspectives was just different and I loved the tone of Mewtwo's perspective. It was just better. After that, the story goes back to Satoshi's perspective and the tone isn't the same anymore even when Mewtwo reveals himself. And that sucks. Obviously, Satoshi's side has to be the "light" side. The movie would have been way better as a Mewtwo only film just to keep the "dark" tone. The Mewtwo origin story the best piece of content in the series (I'm talking like I'm in 1998, not 2023, so I'm not spoiling). Back to the origin story, it is interesting to see a wife leave her husband. I hope the series has more of this. Another thing is that it was interesting seeing Fuji's last words before his death not being about Ai considering the effort he put in and he wouldn't stop saying Ai's name. Instead, it was scientist talk. Though, we don't know how many days/months/years went by since Aitwo died. Them clones focked up the originals. To see Lizardon get owned like that. It wasn't even a match.

Lastly, it was great seeing my waifu Sweet again. I've always thought of her since I first saw the movie. I just love her design. While I was watching, I thought of Rain from G Gundam when I looked at her. She also has nice oppai. They did great with her design. Speaking of design, just seeing this animation and the character designs makes me miss the 90's. So much better than today. With that said... Morikubo slayed as Mewtwo. They also got Toru Furuya in this. Nice.

Hey! Soko no boy!
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Jul 27, 2023 6:17 PM

Mar 2022
Pokemon, one of the first exposures to anime when I was a kid. That's right I'm old enough to know the first anime boom in the 90s but on a technically cuz I wouldn't know what anime was until I was at the age of 13/14 where DBZ would hold the title of first anime for me BUT with Pokemon looking back I'd say it more than opened the doors to anime for me that along with Digimon in the 90s. This movie in particular I watched quite a bit when I was a kid because I had a friend of the family's who owned the original yellow VHS tape for The First Movie and he did play the games and we would watch this movie quite a bit growing up. 

Seeing as I haven't seen this in forever I thought I'd look at with a fresh perspective and wonder if it's any good and much to my surprise I end up liking quite a far bit then I was expecting. It's certainly a lot darker than most things associated with Pokemon is usually light hearted fare. Mewtwo is definitely one of the more darker aspects to the show, he questions his existence, he destroys not the only lab he was made in but also murders his creators in the process and ultimately gets used by Giovani. I'm not gonna lie Mewtwo was a cool Pokemon the first time I saw him. Kind of makes sense why he got a second movie in the long line up of Pokemon movies. There is something nostalgic about watching the movie in it's cheesy 4kids dub, hearing pop songs like Brother My Brother as well as the stuff in the ending credits, really does give me that very 90s feel to it for me. 

Honestly the whole "The dub changed things from the original" thing doesn't really bother me that much. Cuz honestly I'm here to see Pokemon battling each other, it's by no means a masterpiece but it's still an enjoyable time. And yeah the whole "Pokemon shouldn't fight" thing does contradict the whole idea of Pokemon but again who cares? I enjoyed myself and that's the main thing. The animation I feel is very above what the show normally has but I took it as it being like a long episode of the show but with a higher budget sort of thing. Otherwise really good film, kind of glad I went back and rewatched this cuz I certainly had a blast viewing it.
Aug 16, 2023 12:10 PM
Apr 2022
think the Takeshi Shudo creator thought the pop soundtrack in the dub actually fits better than the original Japanese soundtrack.
Nov 12, 2023 3:06 AM

Apr 2021
Great movie! A human sacrificing himself for Pokémon.
Feb 2, 10:40 PM

Dec 2020
rewatching this again after so many years was a great revisit on the very first pokemon movie

you have to take it for what it is, a kids movie
but its a very good one

the animation for the time is great & the emotional ending really ties it all together

More topics from this board

» 25th Anniversary of Japanese airing today!

GrayZStars - Jul 18, 2023

6 by funtime43_tr »»
Aug 16, 2023 12:07 PM

» Was the English dub of Mewtwo Strikes Back really that awful to watch?

funtime43_tr - Dec 4, 2022

23 by funtime43_tr »»
Jul 19, 2023 4:35 AM

» Brother My Brother

funtime43_tr - Dec 12, 2022

4 by minix_animade »»
Jan 8, 2023 1:10 PM

» Leonardo Dicapro voicing Ash

funtime43_tr - Dec 22, 2022

3 by funtime43_tr »»
Dec 31, 2022 4:24 AM

» DVD Commentary

funtime43_tr - Dec 28, 2022

0 by funtime43_tr »»
Dec 28, 2022 4:06 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.