Forum Settings
Forums
Poll: Pokemon: The First Movie Episode 1 Discussion

Jul 22, 2012 2:11 PM

THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
After watching it countless times as a kid, and few times few years ago, it was time to watch it in Japanese. It's obviously way better and the whole story is kinda different. And thank god I didn't have to hear those cheesy lines (Vikings living in Minnesota or something).

While the story isn't something spectacular, the movie was okay. There were some errors that annoyed me a bit like Electric moves defeating a Ground type Pokemon, or a guy flying off on a Pidgeot, shown flying on a Fearow, and then has a Pidgeot again.

Also, gotta love Musashi's "Pikachu~" after Kojiro said "Dare da?"

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"

Mar 11, 2013 9:55 PM

great movie. so nostalgic watching it after 10 years

Apr 20, 2013 12:46 AM
I just got done rewatching this for the first time since it first came out on VHS/DVD and it reaffirms my belief about the new seasons and movies being inferior to the original. Mewtwo's backstory, his goals and the triumphant feel of that moment when Ash emerges from the smoke with the originals... there's just nothing like it.

I still question the idea of Squirtle beating a Machamp in one bubble/beam attack, but that's mostly for cinema.

There were some more errors than the above in the dub, like Pokemon being misnamed here and there, but it's nothing that ruins the enjoyment of the film.

I wanted to watch it in Japanese, but the official DVD subtitles are a word-for-word script of the dub dialog, so it would be pointless since I'm not getting the faithful translation. The aforementioned Minnesota pun in particular is in there.

Either way it's still a highly enjoyable movie and possibly the best thing the Pokemon anime franchise has ever done. I had this movie at an 8, but after rewatching it over a decade later, I feel it deserves a full 10.

May 22, 2013 6:42 AM

Did anyone else watch the footage of the movie where it showed clones of Bulbasaur, Charmander, Squirtle and also another human clone named Amber/Ai?

Jun 20, 2013 1:11 AM

Kazejimonji said:
Did anyone else watch the footage of the movie where it showed clones of Bulbasaur, Charmander, Squirtle and also another human clone named Amber/Ai?

Yep just watched that just now, it was interesting but I wish they came back to it at the end of the movie. Or at least did something more with it.

All sorts of nostalgia while watching this movie.
Modified by WolfWood37, Jun 20, 2013 1:16 AM

Sep 6, 2013 8:25 AM

It's crazy how I could live all my life and never be able to say something as cool as Mewtwo.

Jun 1, 2014 7:03 PM

underratedly the best movie ever.

i've watched this like 10 times over now

Aug 15, 2014 6:11 AM
Quite different from dub.

Oct 25, 2014 8:55 AM

I watched the subbed yesterday and I have to say it made me love this movie even more.

In the backstory of Mewtwo, he started to cry. And so at the end of the movie when all of the other pokemon start to cry, I find that very symbolic.

I'm a lil upset by the fact they had to cut those nice moments in the dubbed version just because it mentioned "god." But I guess it made sense back in the late 90s.

So many childhood feels regardless :) I could careless about all the lil flaws, because no matter what, pokemon is still apart of moi!
Oscar and Andre deserved better

Feb 25, 2015 12:37 PM

I used to watch this on VHS EVERYDAY when I got home from school. I did that for like 3 months straight. I need to rewatch it subbed soon. I just found out that Ash, Misty, and Brock have real names. LOL

Sep 23, 2015 11:23 AM

From the first 3 pokemon movies I would say this was my least favourite, but I guess the only reason was because I saw the other ones first. Great movie.

Oh, pitiful shadow cloaked in darkness.
Thy actions cause men pain and suffering.
Thy hollow soul drowns in thy sins.
How would you like to see what death is like?
-Enma Ai

Oct 9, 2015 5:44 PM

Nov 5, 2015 3:58 AM

My first movie Pokémon

Jan 13, 2016 5:05 AM

Cant stop my tears when pikachu cried for ash...

Sep 16, 2016 11:50 AM

WOW that was awesome! Really epic movie, had some nice comedy in it (especially watching the dub...lol some of those lines are so stupid they're funny), and pretty relevant messages to society. The whole "it's wrong for pokemon to fight!" thing was almost contradictory to the entire franchise, but I guess they were trying to say something more about the reasons why these pokemon were fighting.

8-9/10, that was a really good pokemon movie! The third one wth Entei and Unown has always been my favorite, but after seeing this one I think this might be better! :O
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Feb 20, 2018 11:00 AM
By the way, through this site you can easily watch the time http://current-time.info/United_Kingdom/England/Derby And in any city and country it is convenient

May 4, 2019 11:26 AM
Who is gonna see Pokemon: Detective Pikachu in theaters?

Nov 11, 2019 4:54 AM
Crazy how this movie still makes me cry each time i see it even tho i've already seen it countless times over the last 20 years, pikachu crying is just to much for my heart.
Nostalgia is obviously a part in why i like this movie so much but nostalgia aside, the movie has some legit good aspects too it, mostly mewto's background and character also the pretty dark aesthetics/vibe considering this is a movie for kids.

Dec 6, 2020 6:24 AM
Uhhhhhhhhhhh BASED!!

Dec 11, 2020 2:38 PM

Man, it's been 22 years... I still have this film on VHS.

To be honest there is a major issue with this movie: The anti-war message contradicts the premise of the Pokemon franchise, which is Pokemon battles. However, this notion can be a bit toned down if you see your usual Pokemon battles (between Trainers or Gym battles) as a sport, like boxing for example, whereas Mewtwo wants to establish total domination of the clones over the original Pokemon. But who the hell cares anyway? Most of us who grew up in the 90s will always love this movie, haha
Modified by NaughtyNoddy, Mar 20, 4:30 PM

Feb 3, 6:50 AM

Mewtwo and his misguided mind.
That Pikachu fought Pikachu just cute. But its also sad watching them to be like that. Fortunately, Satoshi stepped his body up to stop the fights, and awakened the power of tears. Touching end.
Farewell, pokemon clones, and Mewtwo. Hope y'all got a happy lifes.
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges