Forum Settings
Forums

Am I the only person who didnt find Princess Mononoke to be all that great?

New
Jul 1, 2012 9:39 PM

Nov 2011
I thought it was kinda mediocre.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 1, 2012 9:47 PM

Jun 2012
i think it was good but not all that good. I give it like a 4/5 for above average though
Jul 1, 2012 9:54 PM

Mar 2012
Nope, there are other wrong people out there as well.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Jul 2, 2012 2:44 AM

Oct 2010
Jul 3, 2012 9:29 PM

Nov 2011
trunghuynh90 said:
i think it was good but not all that good. I give it like a 4/5 for above average though
Id give it an 7.5 out of 10.

Post-Josh said:
Nope, there are other wrong people out there as well.
Dude whats so great about it? The characters are bland, and the action is meh. Its not even that original, he did the whole man versus nature thing with Nausicaa.

jal90 said:
Nah, you are one among 27326.
I feel this way.
Aug 18, 2012 7:17 PM

Feb 2012
Same. I still gave it a 9 though because i was entertained throughout the entire thing, and the dub i watched wasn't great.
Overall i felt it was average though. Nice animation, designs, overall execution, but when you consider the guy's reason for leaving and how they handled it was basically some guy who decided to do this out of nowhere because his village elder told him to.
Aug 18, 2012 7:21 PM

Nov 2011
Vyudali said:
Same. I still gave it a 9 though because i was entertained throughout the entire thing, and the dub i watched wasn't great.
Overall i felt it was average though. Nice animation, designs, overall execution, but when you consider the guy's reason for leaving and how they handled it was basically some guy who decided to do this out of nowhere because his village elder told him to.
I felt the characters werent very intersesting.
Aug 19, 2012 7:10 PM

Oct 2010
Vyudali said:

Ashitaka leaves because one of the specific rules of his village is that everybody who has been cursed/infected has to leave the place, also because he needs to find a cure and won't find it there, and also -I assume- because by staying and getting slowly consumed there he will become a menace to his family and friends.
Aug 27, 2012 8:57 AM
Apr 2012
It could have been a 10/10 film if the plot didn't have those holes. I mean, Ashitaka is already leaving before you get to know him or even the region he is from. Then you get to see his journey - why? And then the encounter with that other guy.. seriously, it doesn't matter at all later on. And then there are those ridiculous battles with heads and arms flying around, although one can get used to it after a while.

Maybe I just have to re-watch it to get the meaning of all this. It's not a bad film, I gave it an 8/10 and from the technical side, it is a masterpiece (soundtrack, art), and there are still quite a few beautiful scenes, but Miyazaki could have done better.
Sep 2, 2012 10:23 AM

Nov 2011
VikingGe said:
It could have been a 10/10 film if the plot didn't have those holes. I mean, Ashitaka is already leaving before you get to know him or even the region he is from. Then you get to see his journey - why? And then the encounter with that other guy.. seriously, it doesn't matter at all later on. And then there are those ridiculous battles with heads and arms flying around, although one can get used to it after a while.

Maybe I just have to re-watch it to get the meaning of all this. It's not a bad film, I gave it an 8/10 and from the technical side, it is a masterpiece (soundtrack, art), and there are still quite a few beautiful scenes, but Miyazaki could have done better.

I love crazy violence but it looks silly in a film that doesnt prey heavily on the violence. A guys hands getting shot off by an arrow? It just poor to put that in a film where its not sorrounded by other crazy violent moments. Ninja scroll this movie isnt.
Sep 2, 2012 12:34 PM

Oct 2011
BlackSabotage said:
Dude whats so great about it? The characters are bland, and the action is meh. Its not even that original, he did the whole man versus nature thing with Nausicaa.
Please don't breed.
Sep 2, 2012 12:56 PM

Nov 2011
Kye7 said:
BlackSabotage said:
Please don't breed.
So you dont even attempt to explain as to why what i said is false?
Sep 15, 2012 10:17 PM
Mar 2011
BlackSabotage said:
Kye7 said:
BlackSabotage said:
Please don't breed.

He's just asking you not to breed. I think that's understandable.
Sep 27, 2012 10:42 AM

Nov 2011
Homunyan said:
BlackSabotage said:
Kye7 said:
BlackSabotage said:
Please don't breed.

He's just asking you not to breed. I think that's understandable.

I bred with a platapuss and it gave birth to an echidna.
Sep 27, 2012 10:49 AM

Nov 2011
Yes. Now commit sudoku to redeem yourself.
The Art of Eight
Oct 2, 2012 11:31 AM

Nov 2011
dankickyou said:
Yes. Now commit sudoku to redeem yourself.

Redeem myself for what? Not liking an average movie?
Oct 16, 2012 11:45 PM

Aug 2009
You didn't like it? Well, I liked it. I liked it a lot.

...now, can we move on, please?
Nov 21, 2012 9:26 PM

Dec 2010
This tool doesn't even have a list. Let's see what kind of trash you really like. Until then stfu.
Dec 19, 2012 8:33 PM

May 2010
BlackSabotage said:
Its not even that original, he did the whole man versus nature thing with Nausicaa.

I personally thought it was because he did it way better with this film, an improvement from Nausicaa
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Dec 27, 2012 4:24 PM

Nov 2012
It was watchable but as so many already said, it could be so much better.
My opinion?, it was rather disappointing, but the story it self had so much potential sadly they didn't did enough with it .
7/10
Dec 27, 2012 4:38 PM

Apr 2011
Lock this thread plox. :D
Dec 27, 2012 4:45 PM

Oct 2011
Everyone has their own opinions. Nothing wrong with that, it just didn't hit a spark with you.

Me on the other hand? One of the greatest achievements in modern film making if you ask me. Avatar and Ferngully wish they could be as impactful as Princess Fucking Mononoke.
Dec 27, 2012 5:05 PM

Nov 2010
This thread was made by the same guy who said Spirited Away was overrated, and mostly likes gore. Not so surprising.

It is a good movie, while it would have gotten a little lower score on my list I don't think it's overrated.
Dec 30, 2012 9:07 PM
Dec 2012
I only dropped it because in the beginning there's lots of gore and a decaying bore. After that I couldn't continue. But I heard it was an amazing movie.
Jan 28, 2013 5:19 PM

Jul 2011
The only thing I found that was seemingly displeasing was the flimsiness of the ending.

"hey i like u and all but i gotta stay with my wolf buddies"
"k, ill come visit u some time"
"kay"

The End.
Feb 23, 2013 12:16 AM

Apr 2011
It was great..
Jun 25, 2013 1:19 PM

Oct 2010
IntroverTurtle said:
This thread was made by the same guy who said Spirited Away was overrated, and mostly likes gore. Not so surprising.

It is a good movie, while it would have gotten a little lower score on my list I don't think it's overrated.

Yeah, BlackSabotage hates Ghibli/Miyazaki for some reason. Princess Mononoke is one of the best movies I've ever seen (not just anime).
Jun 25, 2013 1:43 PM

Jun 2013
Yes. Obviously you are.

That's what you wanted to hear. Thread closed.
Jun 25, 2013 1:50 PM

Apr 2011
Why do I feel like I've seen OP making one of these exact same kinds of topics for other classic anime?
Jun 25, 2013 1:51 PM

Oct 2010
TinkleTinkle-Hoy said:
Why do I feel like I've seen OP making one of these exact same kinds of topics for other classic anime?

He did it for Spirited Away, and I think he's done it for a few others too.
Jun 25, 2013 1:53 PM

Jun 2009
TinkleTinkle-Hoy said:

Pretty much every popular or other wise well regarded anime/manga has this sort of topic.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jun 25, 2013 1:54 PM

Jun 2013
TinkleTinkle-Hoy said:

Hey there, you're the one with that I-am-a-Hero-like avatar. Nice to see you again. (:
Jun 25, 2013 1:55 PM

Nov 2012
Why are people even bumping this thread?
Jun 25, 2013 1:56 PM

Apr 2011
I was surprised to see the he gave Howls Moving Castle a 9.
Jun 25, 2013 1:57 PM

Apr 2011
Jyupita said:
TinkleTinkle-Hoy said:

Hey there, you're the one with that I-am-a-Hero-like avatar. Nice to see you again. (:

It's from Oyasumi Punpun, but I am a Hero is awesome.
Jun 30, 2013 7:25 AM

Apr 2013
Unit-01 said:
Why are people even bumping this thread?
To share our dissapointment. =)

myusername said:
The only thing I found that was seemingly displeasing was the flimsiness of the ending.

"kay"

The End.
Well to be honest the whole plot was like that...

There's nothing wrong with liking these but aren't Ghibli films primary target market - kids?
Jun 30, 2013 8:18 AM

Sep 2012
SlothieSloth said:
myusername said:

"kay"

The End.
Well to be honest the whole plot was like that...

There's nothing wrong with liking these but aren't Ghibli films primary target market - kids?
Mononoke Hime is definitely not for kids - just the scene when the prince chops off the arms of some soldiers is enough to make it not one.

As for the ending, I would praise it for being pragmatic. It is also a reflection of how the two understands very well where their roles are, even though it means they cannot be together day in day out. This is a theme for adults to handle, not one that is made easy to digest as a kid movie would do.
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Aug 28, 2013 4:20 AM

Mar 2013
I thought it was pretty mediocre too. Definitely not a masterpiece by any stretch. I ranked it 7/10, same as the OP, because it was mostly entertaining with good background/animal art. The characters all looked pretty much exactly the same though unless they were an elderly gentleman, and that was pretty disappointing in itself. Especially from all the hype I got telling me to watch this movie before I did, I at least expected something a little more deserving of it. It just really didn't live up to any of my expectations - the only part I'd rate 10/10 was the part in Irontown, and frankly I'd have rather watched a movie purely about life there.
Aug 28, 2013 5:38 AM

Nov 2012
Personally I believe this movie is one of the best Animated films out there to watch that delivers a strong message to the audience. The art was great for its time, and even now. The ending wasn't terrible, but I won't say it was amazing, simply because I wanted more from it.

"Climb the mountain not so the world can see you, but so that you can see the world."
Sep 11, 2013 6:11 PM

Feb 2012
Well it is one of the better ones along with Nausicaa and Grave of the Fireflies as they all give a serious message, regardless of how anvilicious the message is.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Sep 20, 2013 2:03 PM
Aug 2011
sure, if you have bad taste.
Sep 30, 2013 1:15 PM

Oct 2009
ITT people dislike the things I like! oh no!
Jun 23, 2014 1:00 PM

Nov 2011
Didn't really like it that much either. I was just expecting it to be a lot better mostly given that many people like the character itself. I didn't really feel anything about San.
I didn't really understand why the curse was cast, Ashitaka was not one of the bad guys who wanted the nature dudes dead. And I certainly didn't understand why the curse was lifted in the end since, again, Ashitaka did nothing but the same thing from the beginning: tried to make everyone work it out together.

The Deer God was not really a very original concept, but maybe that's just me being a bit more familiar with the `death for rebirth` thing. However, fur such a powerful theme, I was expecting a bit more of an impact on the humans but in the end I guess that didn't get enough screen time.

I rated it a 7 just because it was refreshing and because fantastic creatures are always fun but not really much else.
Sep 4, 2016 1:18 AM

Feb 2015
I think my expectations were too high before watching it by hearing all the amazing things about it (the cover poster for mononoke is badass also and got me even more hyped for it). It was still pretty good and I appreciate what it had to offer but I never thought it was a masterpiece.
Sep 4, 2016 2:19 AM

May 2016
I was pretty disappointed with the movie. It ended abruptly and not much change occured. It's good, but not as good as I expected it to be cause of the praise it got.

San wasn't really that likable either. But I like the message it conveyed, moving to an extent, kashira.

Oct 11, 2016 12:33 PM
Aug 2015
It personally took me multiple viewings to see how beautiful this film truly is.
Oct 16, 2016 8:47 AM

Jun 2014
If you're a tasteless pleb, yes.
:3
Nov 18, 2016 10:09 AM
Aug 2015
Just finished the movie, but i give it 9/10. Just because i cant give 10/10. Maybe some people will think thats a bit overrated since i read that almost of you give 7/10.this is my reasoning
1. Its classic anime which doesnt relied on photoshop. Seeing how fluid the animation, i know how much the animator spend their time for the animation.
2. The story is great, full of personification, have deep meaning, and not all people could undersatand it in their first watch.
3. It depicted how industrializm gone wrong. It destroyed our nature, and itll fight back, and nature will always be the last standing one
For someone who watch a lot of anime genre i think momonoke have unique story compared with recent anime which full with boobs, panty shoot and no meaningful story
Nov 18, 2016 10:27 AM

Jul 2009
Not Ghibli's best but a solid film for sure
Dec 23, 2016 11:12 PM
Jul 2018
Great movie, but people definitely praise it more than they should because Ghilbi.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mononoke Hime Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Metty - Feb 4, 2008

209 by Kilo_2K4 »»
Mar 31, 8:11 PM

» worth it

_txhsin__ - Feb 20, 2023

35 by mangalicker94 »»
Oct 14, 2023 5:37 PM

» How tf is san more favored than Ashitaka ?

STSayeb - Dec 30, 2022

7 by KayKimii »»
Dec 30, 2022 5:37 AM

» Princess Mononoke vs. All Other Anime Movies

FALLEN101 - Jul 24, 2008

39 by STSayeb »»
Dec 30, 2022 2:59 AM

Poll: » This movie, mononoke hime or nausicaa valley of the wind

Hime03 - Apr 7, 2019

9 by rafasc33 »»
Nov 27, 2022 7:53 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.