Forum Settings
Forums

Law Penalizing Downloaders, Criminalizing Ripping Passes in Japan

New
Jun 21, 2012 4:28 AM

Jan 2009
======================================================
NOTE: try reading replies of ap19 on page 2 of this thread he gave a lot of insights about this law and who will be affected too, his a real Japanese that buys legitimate DVD/BluRay to support the anime industry
his well written english replies (very rare for a japanese) can make a lasting impact too

saw this news a while ago

Bill passes upper house with overwhelming majority; will go into force on October 1
On Wednesday, Japan's House of Councillors passed a bill into law that covers a variety of issues regarding the usage of documents and digital content. 233 of the Diet's 242 members cast votes on the law: 221 for and 12 against. As the bill had already passed the Diet's House of Representatives last Friday, the law will go into force on October 1.

The law includes sections outlawing the "ripping" of content, for personal use, that involves the bypassing of digital copy protection such as the CSS system on DVDs.

The law also includes a section added in committee that imposes a penalty to the already illegal act of knowingly downloading copyrighted material without permission, and those charged with illegal downloading will now face up to two years of prison or fines of up to 2 million yen (about US$25,400). The law also obligates national and local governments to educate minors on illegal download prevention.

source: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-06-21/law-penalizing-downloaders-criminalizing-ripping-passes-in-japan

im a little worried about this since we might see a decline on BD-Rips, DVD-Rips and TV-Rips of anime either FanSubs and FanRips

that means after October 1, 2012 the weekly anime updates can only be get through CrunchyRoll and other official anime streaming sites

someone tell me that Japan cannot enforce this law strictly or does Japan really strict on implementing its laws?

EDIT:

more sources
http://torrentfreak.com/jail-for-file-sharing-not-enough-labels-want-isp-level-spying-regime-120624/
http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2012/06/japan-downloading-law/
http://kotaku.com/5920140/come-october-dont-use-youtube-in-japan
http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2012/06/27/anonymous-declares-war-on-japan-over-illegal-downloads/
degJul 11, 2012 5:11 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 21, 2012 5:02 AM

Jan 2012
In my opinion, i think this is mainly aimed at people who torrent anime. I stream any anime i watch for the most, mostly because i feel like if i'm downloading i'm more of a criminal than watching it for free. I'd hope that sites like anime44 don't suffer...Regardless though....It wont stop people from uploading, that's a given. It'll just be harder to find.
Jun 21, 2012 5:15 AM
Sep 2011
Now I'm worried. I can only rely on the net for my dose of anime because sadly, our local tv networks AND cable tv networks does not really air good anime.

Anyhow, Ahri is right. Nothing can stop the sharing of these files.
Jun 21, 2012 6:08 AM

Feb 2012
Well I didn't start downloading anime until way after October 1 and I've been able to download a massive amount of it, so it would appear that we're still good here. I haven't had any trouble finding anything that's airing now. Hopefully that continues in the future.

"In both love and octopus-hunting, you have to take the initiative!" - Gintoki Sakata
Jun 21, 2012 6:08 AM

Jul 2009
The bill was passed. Enforcement : on October 1.
It will revise it further next January.

Internet service provider might introduce the detection software along with this law.
News site (JP lang)
http://www.asahi.com/showbiz/music/TKY201206200382.html

The watch software of the police has already been operating.

┐(´ー`)┌
Jun 21, 2012 6:25 AM

Jan 2009
i saw more info about this from another forum im in

While the anti-download measure is an enhancement of existing prohibitions, a ban on copying or ripping discs to a hard drive would be brand new for Japan. The proposed would outlaw any software program or device that allowed users to circumvent encoded copyright protection on the disc, as well as the act of copying of said disc.

Media that does not include copy protection, such as most compact discs, would not be included in the ban.

Should these new amendments pass into law, it would be illegal in Japan to make any copies of any movies or games, illegal to upload the data, illegal to download the data, illegal to sell copies of the data and well as illegal to sell a device that enables playback of the copied data. All of these actions would carry stiff penalties.

source: http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2012/06/japan-downloading-law/

The Effects:
1. Ripping and copying of copy-protected and encoded materials like DVDs and games is no longer considered "for personal use" and is punishable.
2. The sale of software and hardware that circumvents copy protection and access protections is forbidden.
3. The intentional download of illegally uploaded materials is now punishable.

source: http://kotaku.com/5920140/come-october-dont-use-youtube-in-japan

so bye bye BD-Rips and DVD-Rips? how about TV-Rips are they copy protected too? are fansub cappers subject to the penalties of this law too since they are using such devices that is prohibited by this law?
degJun 21, 2012 8:44 AM
Jun 21, 2012 6:42 AM

Nov 2008
I don't like this at all.

I can reluctanty accept the no capping for the purpose of illegal didribution side of things; most anime get simulacasted pretty swiftly these days, so I can watch them on Crunchyroll or use HorribleSubs rips for US-exclusive simulcasts. I also accept that downloading anime is illegal and understand why they wanted to make it punishable.

The part I don't like is that part about the sale of software that circumvents copy protection. I am a fan of Linux and open-source software, and I am wondering what that means on that side of things. If a distro provides a package for a program in one of their repositories that allows someone to rip an encrypted DVD, does that count as "selling" software for that purpose?

I suppose that subject is off-topic here in the anime discussion boards, but I thought I would mention it anyway. But yeah, I can see the reasoning behind (some of) it, but I also think that they have went way too far with this.
Rosa_FOEtidaJun 21, 2012 6:45 AM
Current FAL Ranking + Previous best::
[
Jun 21, 2012 6:45 AM

Jan 2011
FOEbulous-max said:
I don't like this at all.

I can sort of accept the no capping side of things; most anime get simulacasted pretty swiftly these days, so I can watch them on Crunchyroll or use HorribleSubs rips for US-exclusive simulcasts. I also accept that downloading anime is illegal and understand why they wanted to make it punishable.

The part I don't like is that part about the sale of software that circumvents copy protection. I am a fan of Linux and open-source software, and I am wondering what that means on that side of things. If a distro provides a package for a program in one of their repositories that allows someone to rip an encrypted DVD, does that count as "selling" software for that purpose?

I suppose that subject is off-topic here in the anime discussion boards, but I thought I would mention it anyway.

While this is Anime Discussion I don't think this is really that off-topic. That's the general 'bomb' of such laws. These general sweeping laws are dangerous.

「みんながいるからだ。」 - 棗鈴
Jun 21, 2012 7:06 AM

Jul 2009
CD,DVD,BD
The ripping of the protected disk is illegal.

TV-capture
Illegal (Because the copyguard is included)

All moves that the copy guard is done and music cannot be copy.
It is also illegal to put Copy Control CD in MP3 player.

orz
Jun 21, 2012 7:11 AM

Jan 2009
siokan said:

TV-capture

well if this is true then their will be really decline on fansubs, since as far as i know most cappers are japanese people that are now affected by this strict anti-piracy law and also their capturing devices/equipment for ripping TV shows will be prohibited now

and if this thread is on the wrong forum, the moderators can actually move it to its proper place
Jun 21, 2012 7:47 AM

Jan 2008
It probably won't do much and it will still be easy for us to find uploaded BR-Rips/DVD-Rips/whatever.

The west have similar laws to what Japan passed in regard to that and it's still easy to find a copy of say, a blu-ray rip of Toy Story 3. And this is coming from a guy in the UK, on Virgin Media, still accessing that website which was blocked.
Jun 21, 2012 7:56 AM

Dec 2011
Yep I doubt this is going to effect much at all. The same people who have been ripping and uploading torrents for years will keep doing so without much chance of getting in to trouble.

What bothers me is these industries don't even stop to consider the benefits of things like torrenting and streaming. They're so many people who only buy anime after they've already seen it and know it's something that they are interested in. It's called exposure...

And I'd like to wonder what they think of people like me who are disabled and have no money to spare on anime, but at the same time can't physically do most things normal people can do to keep busy and happy. Fact is not everyone in this world can afford luxuries, if you're sick and bedridden shouldn't you at least be able to watch a little anime for crying out loud? Just sayin'.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 21, 2012 8:37 AM

Nov 2011
Ahri said:
In my opinion, i think this is mainly aimed at people who torrent anime. I stream any anime i watch for the most, mostly because i feel like if i'm downloading i'm more of a criminal than watching it for free. I'd hope that sites like anime44 don't suffer...Regardless though....It wont stop people from uploading, that's a given. It'll just be harder to find.

More of a criminal? If your not watching it on a legal streaming site e.g crunchyroll your not supporting the creators of the anime.
Jun 21, 2012 8:55 AM

Jul 2009
j0x said:
siokan said:

TV-capture

well if this is true then their will be really decline on fansubs, since as far as i know most cappers are japanese people that are now affected by this strict anti-piracy law and also their capturing devices/equipment for ripping TV shows will be prohibited now

and if this thread is on the wrong forum, the moderators can actually move it to its proper place

JPN only;_;
Specification of TV copyguard(dubbing 10)
http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%83%80%E3%83%93%E3%83%B3%E3%82%B010

It arrested it because of the writer's report though the police were able to trace P2P still.
Hereafter, the police can arrest it directly.
Jun 21, 2012 9:14 AM

Sep 2010
And we will still get our animu and mangos so I'm not worried.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Jun 21, 2012 9:21 AM

Jan 2009
From abusive censorship to this, we all know where japan is headed.
Jun 21, 2012 9:50 AM

Mar 2012
Damn I hope this doesn't affect the availability of torrents to much...I will certainly start downloading a massive amount of anime in August/September.

Anyway that's already punishable here but I seriously doubt I get in trouble for it.
KhalanJun 21, 2012 10:11 AM
Jun 21, 2012 9:54 AM

Feb 2010
I wonder how this is going to apply for international jurisdictions. I wonder how they actually plan to enforce this. I wonder if this is exactly like every other copyright law ever that's been relevant to the anime fandom and has been nigh inconsequential every time.
Jun 21, 2012 10:38 AM

Feb 2005
Stuff will still be available of course, but if they go for the rippers with some effectivity that might be a problem. Of course, I suppose people could still go to japan, buy DVDs and bluerays in bulk and then rip and upload them when they're in another country but that would seriously hamper tha release speed.
Ahri said:
In my opinion, i think this is mainly aimed at people who torrent anime. I stream any anime i watch for the most, mostly because i feel like if i'm downloading i'm more of a criminal than watching it for free.
There's absolutely no difference though. If rippers get smacked, then streaming will be hurt just as much, probably even more since it's far easier to locate and stop streaming than torrenting.
Jun 21, 2012 10:49 AM

Feb 2012
This wont have much of an effect imo.

There's already laws like this in the US but you don't see that stopping anyone from uploading them to torrent sites.

I highly doubt Japan is going to bother with anyone 'ripping' stuff outside of Japan either.
Jun 21, 2012 4:07 PM

Jan 2009
im with you folks i hope this law wont be strictly implemented
Jun 21, 2012 4:25 PM

Jun 2008
Well this is really just the beginning. First, criminalize a type of action by formal law. Then, capture a few (bigshot) individuals and media frenzy it, and voila, they might just get results. We're always seeing the gradual accumulation of these copyright laws, so at some point it will matter. Just a matter of when.
Jun 21, 2012 4:44 PM

Nov 2007
I don't think it'll make much of a difference. But even if it did, it would surely mark a decline in foreign anime purchases at the very least. It may be fine for Japan to live without, because they have dozens of stations that reliably show anime. But as for over here, there's really no station like that. Expecting people to buy DVDs based on box cover alone is unrealistic and probably wont happen, especially when we're used to the current way of things.

There's practically no where that even sells a good range of anime DVDs here. The best I can think of is Best Buy and their stock constantly dwindles. I sure as hell wont go through the trouble of getting DVDs online for anime that I'm not even allowed to preview before dropping all my money on.
Jun 26, 2012 4:27 AM

Jan 2009
well it gets more worse now

Jail For File-Sharing Not Enough, Labels Want ISP-Level Spying Regime

From October, knowingly uploading or simply downloading copyrighted material from the Internet will be a criminal offense subject to jail sentences in Japan. But despite now having the ultimate deterrent, it’s still not enough for the Recording Industry Association of Japan. The group is now pressing for ISPs to install spying technologies that will automatically block unauthorized uploads.

source: http://torrentfreak.com/jail-for-file-sharing-not-enough-labels-want-isp-level-spying-regime-120624/

some people say that the japanese people are tolerant about their government so i do think this laws will be implemented strictly now. damn

EDIT:

update

http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2012/06/27/anonymous-declares-war-on-japan-over-illegal-downloads/

from that sankakucomplex link

The download portion of the law comes into effect in October, whilst the ripping ban is due in January.

so DVD/BluRay Ripping (and might also include TV Ripping) is still legal until January 2013
degJun 26, 2012 3:52 PM
Jul 7, 2012 3:30 AM

Jan 2009
recent news

Anonymous of Japan protesting in a peaceful way -> http://phys.org/news/2012-07-japan-anonymous-litter-protest-download.html
Jul 7, 2012 3:49 AM

Jan 2011
Where I live this is totally normally since many years. You can rip DVDs etc, but you aren't allowed to crack the copy protection etc. But in the end this stops nobody.
Jul 7, 2012 4:45 AM

Jul 2012
I don't believe this will change anything
Jul 7, 2012 5:59 AM

Sep 2008
I hate piracy with a passion, but I am against this law too, for the following reasons.

1) This whole bill was started up by JASRAC and a few other CD companies that have pressured the government saying "The unauthorized streaming of full versions of music on video sites such as youtube and nicovideo have been causing a major decline in CD sales for the past few years." Note that this is a huge lie, because the reason why most Japanese people don't buy CDs anymore is because they are readily available at an insanely cheap price at your local legitimate rental store.

2) Most government officials do not know how to use the internet. They do not know what a torrent is, nor do they know that Japan is pretty much the only country that is financially maintaining the subcultural industry while the rest of the world continues to leech on. The government officials are just masturbating, trying to feel like they're actually doing something, when in fact, they just don't have the ability to do anything about this problem at a global scale.

3) By enforcing this law, the Japanese government is only weakening the Japanese otaku spirit that allows otakus to buy BDs at ridiculously high prices such as 130$ per 2 eps. Unlike most of you all, we, the only actual possible victims of this bill, are basically the only people financially holding the ever decreasing production of anime together. You can expect pretty much all subcultural magnitudes on all vectors from doujin-making to BD-sales plummet if they do indeed start fining people 2000000 yen or imprisoning people for 2 years for watching a simple anime MAD on nicovideo. Note, the upload punishments are quintuple that. If indeed otakus do stop buying these ridiculously expensive BDs, you can be assured that anime companies will be at a loss for production budgets, because these sales dominate their income by far. The world will only be getting less than a dozen new Japanimaton TV series per year then.

4) The definition of "illegal download" is extremely obscure, to the point the bill looks like an elementary school level essay. No one knows exactly what is liable for punishment, and moreover, the main targets, which are the middle/high school students, are totally unaware of this bill/law's existence. I highly doubt the government is going to imprison 90% of the next generation population out of unfounded and inscrutable documentation.

5) On the contrary however, there have been an increasing number of news articles that report arrest for selling, downloading, and uploading on various scales. Obviously, the current number of reports is merely an insignificant portion of the 99% of the cybernetic society that are involved in subcultural fandom, but the government is not exactly inactive in enforcing the current policies, which means October 1st can perhaps mean doomsday for our common knowledge of subcultural fandom.

tl;dr The Japanese government wants Japan to commit suicide. Moreover, it's we, the Japanese residents, who are in trouble; not you foreign leechers.
ap19Jul 8, 2012 5:38 AM
http://www.nicovideo.jp/user/5040721
I'm Japanese, so if you have any questions regarding Japan, feel free to ask.
アメリカ育ちなので、なんか英語に関して質問があれば気軽にどうぞ。
Jul 7, 2012 6:19 AM

Mar 2009
ap19 said:
I hate piracy with a passion, but I am against this law too, for the following reasons.

1) This whole bill was started up by JASRAC and a few other CD companies that have pressured the government saying "The unauthorized streaming of full versions of music on video sites such as youtube and nicovideo have been causing a major decline in CD sales for the past few years." Note that this is a huge lie, because the reason why most Japanese people don't buy CDs anymore is because they are readily available at an insanely cheap price at your local legitimate rental store.

2) Most government officials do not know how to use the internet. They do not know what a torrent is, nor do they know that Japan is pretty much the only country that is financially maintaining the subcultural industry while the rest of the world continues to leech on. The government officials are just masturbating, trying to feel like they're actually doing something, when in fact, they just don't have the ability to do anything about this problem at a global scale.

3) By enforcing this law, the Japanese government is only weakening the Japanese otaku spirit that allows otakus to buy BDs at ridiculously high prices such as 130$ per 2 eps. Unlike most of you all, we, the only actual possible victims of this bill, are basically the only people financially holding the ever decreasing production of anime together. You can expect pretty much all subcultural magnitudes on all vectors from doujin-making to BD-sales plummet if they do indeed start fining people 2000000 yen or imprisoning people for 2 years for watching a simple anime MAD on nicovideo. Note, the upload punishments are quintuple that. If indeed otakus do stop buying these ridiculously expensive BDs, you can be assured that anime companies will be at a loss for production budgets, because these sale dominate their income by far.

4) The definition of "illegal download" is extremely obscure, to the point the bill looks like an elementary school level essay. No one knows exactly what is liable for punishment, and moreover, the main targets, which are the middle/high school students, are totally unaware of this bill/law's existence. I highly doubt the government is going to imprison 90% of the next generation population out of unfounded and inscrutable documentation.

5) On the contrary however, there have been an increasing number of news articles that report arrest for selling, downloading, and uploading on various scales. Obviously, the current number of reports is merely an insignificant portion of the 99% of the cybernetic society that are involved in subcultural fandom, but the government is not exactly inactive in enforcing the current policies, which means October 1st can perhaps mean doomsday for our common knowledge of subcultural fandom.

tl;dr The Japanese government wants Japan to commit suicide. Moreover, it's we, the Japanese residents, who are in trouble; not you foreign leechers.

It's interesting hearing this from a japanese perspective. Over here in Australia it's very much a matter of "damn, that's going to be an inconvenience, hopefully it won't affect our anime downloads too much", which is exactly what I'm thinking. So what you're saying is that this could very well hurt the industry itself, despite them being the ones intending to put it into place? It seems greedy and counter-intuitive.
Jul 7, 2012 6:43 AM

Sep 2008
Roninski said:
So what you're saying is that this could very well hurt the industry itself, despite them being the ones intending to put it into place? It seems greedy and counter-intuitive.

The only industry interested in this bill is, as I stated, those CD companies who are obviously run by old geezers who know zip about cybernetic society.

The anime industry is generally half-and-half or uninterested in this, because they generally recognize the significance of the doujin subculture and the online fandom. Of course it'd be ideal if the uploading of full HD raws stopped as a whole, but they do not wish for the doujin culture or the subcultural fandom to disappear also. The anime industry has settled on selling BDs at ridiculously high prices, because

"ridiculously expensive BD prices x Japanese otaku buyers > # of buyers x lower prices"

If more people bought, prices would generally start to decrease. However, as it is, only the select few pay, and that's all the money the anime industry is capable of using towards production. Anime does not get money from commercials. Licenses are extremely cheap, especially overseas, or else Funimation wouldn't be able to sell DVDs at such a ridiculously low price. Half the money from goods and related merchandise are absorbed by the manufacturers. Basically, the only money the anime industry really gets is the BD/DVD sales.

What keeps the select few from the Japanese fandom actively paying? Take a look at nicovideo for instance. The top ranking videos are usually saturated with anime MADs. It's the liberty in having online festivals through these videos that recursively amass popularity. They're not full uploads; just re-edited excerpts that create a new form of entertainment, that's not necessarily looked down upon by the original creators. Recent fads include fate/zero and Haiyore Nyaruko-san, and it is expected for Yuru Yuri to dominate the fandom this season. It's not just nicovideo of course. Whether it's pixiv or doujins or comiket or 2ch, they're all an important part of fandom motivation. Take this away, and sales are bound to plummet, because the drive and the motivation just won't be there anymore.

Yeah, I don't like the fact that the 90% of the international fandom just sitting back easy-like, and the 10% that work their butts off to pay loads to keep the anime industry going, both get to watch the same HD quality animes, but I'd rather keep the anime industry going than let it die down thinking I won't pay because no one else pays. Comparing CR and nicovideo, CRers get to watch whole series for free for half-eternal periods of time, while nicovideoers can only watch the newest episode for free during the first week of its release. Not to mention recording anime from Japanese TV channels cost tons, and Japanese TV by itself already costs quite a sum of money.

Moreover, I've been focusing on anime only, but obviously, doujins, nicovideo, pixiv and the like constitute much more than just anime. To a significant portion of the Japanese population, it's a matter of anime in addition to everything else that founds subcultural cybernetic activity.

Yet I see all of this petty little worry on this and other piracy law related threads. I'm not really blaming anyone for anything. I know piracy is common sense to most of you all. Japanese people pirate too, even though Japan is also paying a lot alongside it. But come on. It's sort of like how Great Britain went into a frenzy from an M2.0 earthquake while Japan was experiencing an M9.0 earthquake on March 11. It makes you all look so ... you know what I mean.
ap19Jul 12, 2012 8:52 PM
Jul 7, 2012 12:58 PM

May 2012
@ ap19

Just one thing friend, you seem so passionate to blame international users and label them leechers BUT have you stopped to think about it?

@ Lets take the easy example, the USA, outside Japan the second and pretty much only market for anime, there are options to buy licensed and watch legal stream BUT not all shows are available and pretty much they still have to wait years for BD/DVD releases.

@ What for countries like Brazil, Sweden, Spain, China, Korea, Mexico, Peru, Venezuela, England, Gibraltar, Egypt... basically the REST OF THE WORLD???

You blame international users, but can you tell me how fan that are not in Japan/USA can actually buy stuff "legally" or become direct sources of revenue for an inudstry that does NOT give a damn about them and only care for Japan/USA market?

And before you come up with something like IMPORT let me remind you not everyone lives in 1st world countries, just to be clear let me remind you many people around the world live with as much as 4 dollars per day, clear example in Latin America for example.

Sure, some countries (latin america, europe) sometimes are lucky to have a couple anime air on TV, and a couple more via paid tv for those that can actually pay for cable, satellite tv.

On the other hand, there are select people around the world that do have the income to import, yet have you stopped to think about the horror of your stuff being checked but a customs officer that may label your doujin, ecchi anime, manga, or hentai anime/eroge as CP?

So stop for a second and think of the circumstances of others, your words suggest EVERYONE in the world has the same circumstances and they just dont want to pay, MOST JUST CANT (either because they have no money or live in countries where that dont license anime/manga, or for safety reasons)

Before you say, hey, but theres crunchyroll... same, many just CANT pay (heck, many dont even have credit cards, no paypal either), even if it sounds dirt cheap for you or for those that live in 1st world countries, it isn't for others, and even if many can, crunchy does not have all series AND many series are region locked.

Now the international market (fans outside USA/JAPAN) are totally not important it seems, companies only have their eyes in Japan and USA and dont care for others, they could exploit the world via the internet BUT alas they rather keep happy the USA and Japan markets and their offline licensors with no competition from the virtual world.

And heres hoping you dont come up with the: hey if you are poor, if you are "stealing" and cant pay or dont have "legal" options then screw you, DON'T WATCH/READ/PLAY, because it would be totally immoral and cruel.
9988Jul 7, 2012 1:04 PM
Jul 7, 2012 2:29 PM

Oct 2010
Go go Horriblesubs, go go!

I dont really care... as long as bakabt doesnt get taken down its fine for me. Nough material there for now.

Jul 7, 2012 2:34 PM

Nov 2011
It's a shame the United States and EU can kill a copyright bill yet the Japanese pass one so easily.
Jul 8, 2012 2:07 AM

Sep 2008
9988 said:
@ ap19

Just one thing friend, you seem so passionate to blame international users and label them leechers BUT have you stopped to think about it?

Course I have. It wouldn't be entirely wrong to say I think every which way about this everyday, especially when I click the purchase button for hundreds of dollars worth item lists.

Selling/buying licenses holds little or no benefit to the local distributors.

Given that most of even the first world countries don't pay what they should be paying, what would make anyone think the rest of the world will? They won't.

As you know, it costs money to license these things. The local distributors expect to earn that licensing money and an income from surplus, from customers that actually buy whatever they license. However, as Bandai Entertainment of America has sacrificially proven, local distributors can only lose out. BEA bought licenses to expensive/popular anime like Haruhi and K-ON, but no one bought even if the prices were as low as 3% of the Japanese prices, and the anime distributing faction went bankrupt. Many employees lost their jobs and were in tears when they saw "Where can I download this movie?" on the youtube K-ON movie trailers. After seeing something like that, do you actually think any country would be willing to buy licenses anymore to follow suit? I respect CR, FUNi, VIZanime etc., but they are the exceptions. What they're doing will never become the norm, because humans just love free and unpunished acquisition of property, even if it's at the indirect expense of those who provide it. More than half the people here don't care what happened to BEA or any of the original creators even, as long as you get a replacement.

It's not too difficult to start non-profit foreign transfers of Japanese material. For instance, there are several people on shrinemaiden who buy Touhou merchandise in Japan to send it overseas without interest. In fact, I can do it too. You don't need government agencies and large business companies to do everything for you. If you really wanted to support our cause, you would be asking me to relay your payment to the Japanese front, where I would buy whatever you want and send the items back to you. Well, you're not. Need subs? Well that's not so hard; look at all the fansubbers around you doing the subbing for free. The only difference here is that you would be paying whatever money due to the industry. Course, no one could even think of that.

You know, it'd be even simpler just to donate whatever you think you should be paying to the respective companies. They wouldn't mind piracy as long as they get the money. I'm sure some companies are aware that certain parts of the world are experiencing inequality concerning anime availability, and even before that, most companies are not against the doujin or fandom culture. It would be very very easy to organize a donation effort, but of course, that didn't cross your minds either.

Don't run to "oh, but not everyone has money." Please don't, because that's a ridiculous waste of time. I believe most people work to buy whatever they want, and can't buy whatever they can't afford. Don't run to "oh, but not everyone has a job" either. Well, I wouldn't mind paying an extra sum for people who are working diligently to earn a living, but that's not the kind of people I'm talking to here.

You say I'd be immoral or cruel to say "too bad, you can't watch". Well, I used to say it's "immoral to steal from these original creators", but looks like it isn't at all at these days. Well guess what, I don't think it makes me immoral to say "too bad" either. If things are rectified that is. Heh, as it is now, you're the ones saying "too bad, we ain't payin' " to us. How cruel, how immoral, exploiting us like slaves. If I may add, your argument about immorality concerning international inequalities is totally defunct. There are nations that house gluttons, while there are nations where half the population is starving. There are nations where children get the best of education, while there are nations where half the children are sent to the battlefront. The unfairness concerning anime availability is trivial compared to that, to the point it seems stupid for the creators to have to consider you all. You can't possibly complain when anime is entirely Japanese (some Chinese/Korean w.e.) in nature. Japanese creators are not obligated to share their products worldwide, most certainly not for free, though I find from various quotes and associations that many do indeed show generosity concerning the underground exploitation of their products. Moreover, people like me have no obligations whatsoever to pay for you all, though we are, considering prices would be significantly lower if even 1% of you all paid.

Think again, friend. You're all basically thinking on the premise that piracy has become undoubted common knowledge. It's not me not thinking about you all, but you not thinking about us. Whine and whimper all you like, like the proud pirates you all are. In the meanwhile, we'll be eating mud.

Discussions couldn't get more fruitless than this. These laws are going to be ineffective, and even if they go into effect, you're not the ones "losing out"; we are, when we'll be paying tens of thousands to the government instead of thousands to the industry. You never should have had anything in the first place. The number of Japanese anime productions will continue to decrease as they have been for the past few years, and we'll all settle to a nice finale when only one or two animes are being made every year. Oh never mind, by that time China will be mass-producing their cheap animes, as the number of Chinese anime productions have been increasing these past few years. You can turn to them; they're full of pirates at the nationally approved level, so you probably wouldn't find people like me there.

For the record, I'm not trying to make anyone feel bad about pirating. It's ok to pirate as long as you pay what is due. What I am trying to stress here, is that most are either unaware of the situation or intentionally ignoring it. Perhaps some go to the extent of prevaricating to defend their own petty little pride, which causes more people to pirate on the basis of lies and misunderstandings.
ap19Jul 12, 2012 9:08 PM
Jul 11, 2012 2:52 AM

Jan 2009
@ap19

you made me feel guilty posting this thread now, but i cannot help to pirate stuff like anime since im in a 3rd world country and the only luxury we have as a family is the internet lol no joke
but ye its not an excuse for poor people like me to pirate your stuffs but i cannot help it since its common to pirate anyway, if their is no internet i might still be watching anime on local tv and on local dubbed too

but i just like to share this research about why piracy is still common, its an interesting read for me and makes a lot of sense -> http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2011/03/report-piracy-a-global-pricing-problem-with-only-one-solution/
the article said piracy is a global pricing problem, countires all over the world have different pricings due to differnet economic status that relates to purchasing power
Jul 11, 2012 9:20 AM
Dec 2007
@ap19 can you please elaborate more on how "ridiculously expensive BD prices x Japanese otaku buyers > # of buyers x lower prices"?
Following economies of scale, shouldnt it be more profitable for high volume sale with low price vs low volume sale with high price?

ap19 said:
9988 said:
I respect CR, FUNi, VIZanime etc., but they are the exceptions. What they're doing will never become the norm

i remember there is a game name Recettear, an Item Shop's Tale - a doujin translated game @ $19.99 on steam and it sold over 100,000.
People said the PC gaming was dead and yet steam revenue grows 200% every year (1 billion US$ in 2010). And it is not exceptional. Just look how iTunes, amazon sale vs CD companies.

The way studio struggling funding their anime with DVD/Bluray sale is the same with the recording industry. The solution for both of them is the same, make something good, price it reasonable and make it accessible.

p/s: i do recommend them to reduce number of mass produced anime and focus on the quality.
Jul 11, 2012 9:53 AM

Jul 2011
holy crap Anonymous moves fast...
Jul 11, 2012 10:08 AM
Sep 2010
What people can't seem to understand is that illegal streaming is just as bad as illegal downloading if this type of law enforcement was in the United States no doubt some of you will be in some serious trouble just keeping it real thats all.
Jul 11, 2012 10:27 AM

Feb 2012
How is watching something once on a stream as bad as actively downloading the content to your computer and in a sense, "owning" the illegal content yourself?
Jul 11, 2012 10:37 AM
Sep 2010
360justin said:
What people can't seem to understand is that illegal streaming is just as bad as illegal downloading if this type of law enforcement was in the United States no doubt some of you will be in some serious trouble just keeping it real thats all.
I didn't say once and also if falls under the same category rather you stream illegally or downloading illegally your isp have the right to give your ip address to authorities with or without your consent.
Jul 11, 2012 11:14 AM

Jul 2008
I don't think this really effects non Japanese people that much. And it only effects Japanese people if they get caught. it just takes one guy to spread it.

I only watch stuff on funi, crunchy and hulu so I don't care at all. The legal sites are getting a lot better about getting stuff while it airs and getting a lot of it, at least the newer stuff. It sucks for people who can't use these sites cause of region lock though.
Mow123Jul 11, 2012 11:19 AM
Jul 11, 2012 11:23 AM

Jul 2011
After poking around, It wouldn't affect anything, maybe late simulcasts but thats it.
Fanssubers don't need cappers tbh, they can use HS mildly bad video quality and continue subbing, but with that then they'd be more TLCing then translating.
360justin said:
360justin said:
I didn't say once and also if falls under the same category rather you stream illegally or downloading illegally your isp have the right to give your ip address to authorities with or without your consent.

Funny how you say that yet somehow watched the first episodes of
Kono Naka ni Hitori, Imouto ga Iru!
Joshiraku
Hagure Yuusha no Estetica
Despite the fact that these shows aren't licensed.

KryomaticsJul 11, 2012 11:41 AM
Jul 11, 2012 11:55 AM
Sep 2010
zerotenshigg said:
After poking around, It wouldn't affect anything, maybe late simulcasts but thats it.
Fanssubers don't need cappers tbh, they can use HS mildly bad video quality and continue subbing, but with that then they'd be more TLCing then translating.
360justin said:
360justin said:

Funny how you say that yet somehow watched the first episodes of
Joshiraku
Despite the fact that these shows aren't licensed.

Regardless of your irrelevant comment, there are other sites that are legally streaming besides crunchyroll, and I also use that as well.

I pay for netflix, hulu plus, and crunchyroll so don't try to compare me with others I won't be affected by any of these laws.
Peinuzumaki95Jul 11, 2012 11:59 AM
Jul 11, 2012 12:03 PM

Jul 2011
360justin said:

You still seem to miss the point that the shows I mention aren't licensed, so it is still illegal streaming.
Jul 11, 2012 12:30 PM
Sep 2010
zerotenshigg said:
360justin said:

You still seem to miss the point that the shows I mention aren't licensed, so it is still illegal streaming.
You missed the point where I said legal streaming sites like crunchyroll which isn't illegal streaming now please leave me alone lol.
Jul 11, 2012 1:04 PM

Jul 2011
360justin said:
zerotenshigg said:
360justin said:

You missed the point where I said legal streaming sites like crunchyroll which isn't illegal streaming now please leave me alone lol.

Couldn't think of anything else to talk about? LOL my point.
Or maybe you didn't get my comment.

NO AMERICAN COMPANY GOT THE RIGHTS TO STREAM THESE SHOWs

Joshiraku
Despite yet you still watched the first episode.

My main point which I haven't said yet, is I hate people criticizing others for doing one thing but then does it themselves.

KryomaticsJul 11, 2012 1:20 PM
Jul 11, 2012 2:13 PM
Sep 2010
zerotenshigg said:
360justin said:
zerotenshigg said:
360justin said:

Couldn't think of anything else to talk about? LOL my point.
Or maybe you didn't get my comment.

NO AMERICAN COMPANY GOT THE RIGHTS TO STREAM THESE SHOWs

Joshiraku
Despite yet you still watched the first episode.

My main point which I haven't said yet, is I hate people criticizing others for doing one thing but then does it themselves.

I'm not talking about those shows you troll, I'm saying I stream legally off of crunchyroll your post makes no since ROFL (umad)
Jul 11, 2012 2:24 PM
Trickster

Jun 2011
Isn't this sort of hurting the business? Not as much will be shown outside of Japan, thus decreasing anime popularity.
Jul 11, 2012 4:45 PM

Feb 2012
Even though I don't think it will change much, it's only a wait and see game.
Jul 11, 2012 5:12 PM

Jan 2009
NOTE: try reading replies of ap19 on page 2 of this thread he gave a lot of insights about this law and who will be affected too, his a real Japanese that buys legitimate DVD/BluRay to support the anime industry
his well written english replies (very rare for a japanese) can make a lasting impact too
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Legs or arms?

Absurdo_N - Yesterday

26 by TheMechaManiac »»
16 seconds ago

» Has anime made you erotophobic?

LenRea - 36 minutes ago

6 by TheMechaManiac »»
2 minutes ago

» Visual Novels — General Thread

Shizuna - 5 hours ago

22 by traed »»
2 minutes ago

» Criticism You Don't Understand.

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

45 by -YaoiBoy- »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you perfer Split Cour or Consecutive Cour?

animegamer245 - Yesterday

18 by Soap »»
4 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.