Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 28, 2008 7:34 AM

Feb 2008
Just wondering if any of you guys have ever had a penpal.

>Where were they from?
>How long did you talk for?
>Was it through email or actual letters?

In reply to that, I've had quite a few penpals. My english teacher in year 7 decided that to improve our letter writing skills we should all get one. I ended up with an Italian, German, American and Chinese penpal. I only stopped writing to my German one last year after she had to move house but I'm still in contact with my American one.

I just signed up for a new site in search of a Japanese pen pal (via school so it's safe) to improve my Japanese with and they in turn, learn better English. I love writing letters too, which is what I've done with all of them. It's quite worrying when you find out people never send letters these days. I think there's alot more heart that goes into writing a letter than sending an email.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Sep 28, 2008 7:41 AM

Dec 2007
My parents used to have one. They lived in Germany, and once a year we exchanged a box with authentic content related to our country. (Sweets and stuff like that)

It kind of stopped after a while, the contact did not last longer than a year or 3.
Sep 28, 2008 7:52 AM

Feb 2008
Oh wow, that's quite a nice idea actually. How did they come to have one in the first place or had they met them previously?
Sep 28, 2008 8:03 AM

Mar 2008
no sorry I never had a penpal
Stay thirsty, my friends.
Sep 28, 2008 8:04 AM

Apr 2007
Lol, another thread that's been done before I'm sure, but oh well search functions down. 8D

I've only ever had one penpal, in grade four >.> ... Wasn't anything special, we were just writing crap to each other since we were forced to.

My parents on the other hand, first met each other as penpals from two far away countries. Kinda cool.

BlindFighter said:
no sorry I never had a penpal

lol @ forum guideline #7
SiingSep 28, 2008 8:08 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 28, 2008 8:08 AM

May 2008
I had one in Germany for a few years but we lost contact. Kind of sad since she was a really nice person.
Sep 28, 2008 8:12 AM

Feb 2008
Siing said:
Lol, another thread that's been done before I'm sure, but oh well search functions down. 8D
Ha I remember there being one, which is why I started a new one seeing as search is down and I'm too lazy to wade through 50+ pages to bump it XD
Sep 28, 2008 8:39 AM

Dec 2007
LolitaDecay said:
Oh wow, that's quite a nice idea actually. How did they come to have one in the first place or had they met them previously?

I don't know exactly. I thought through a penpal advertisement.
Sep 28, 2008 8:41 AM

Jun 2008
Never had a penpal, though it would be nice to have one.
Sep 28, 2008 8:46 AM

Apr 2007
YEES, I have actually !

Well, I'm not sure if you'd consider it a pen pal, but he and I consider each other pen pals.

We met on Runescape when I was like 8 or 9 and he was like 10 or 11 (LOOOLLL, this is very stupid, I know, I know). We lived on state away at that time, but we've known each other for a year before we actually talked outside of RS.
After a year, we decided to AIM and MSN and even snail mail (tbh, it was a great experience because it was this stage where I really felt like I had a pen pal).
Only for a period of time was it through snail mail because I didn't get on AIM as often as I would've (lolgaming).

We still talk.

There was a time, though, where we lost contact because I moved and I lost his address and we changed screennames on AIM, but somehow we got to talk (it was BY chance, and I strongly believe it was fate LMAO; corny).

YEEEEEEEP. :D

So, um, up to date, we've known each other for roughly 7 years.
lovescreamSep 28, 2008 9:30 AM

Sep 28, 2008 9:54 AM

Aug 2007
In all honesty I've been considering getting a penpal as well. Hell maybe two. Someone from Italy (Cause I like it there,) and Japan (For my weeaboo fill + moonrunes).
Sep 28, 2008 10:01 AM

Aug 2008
Siing said:
I've only ever had one penpal, in grade four >.> ... Wasn't anything special, we were just writing crap to each other since we were forced to.

Same here :D
Sep 28, 2008 10:25 AM

Dec 2007
Yes,. I had many penpals and still have one. xD Through letter (e-mail penpalling is not REAL, receiving letters is much funnier T^T), all of them.

I had one from Greece, around 6 from nearby cities, quite some from Brazil, one from Germany and one from Turkey. All these lasted... 3 to 4 letters. Also had a girl in Spain, but we actually met every summer (her beach house was in front of my beach house) and she could not write in English and I could not write in Spanish... So did not take long. Her name is Yolanda and her beach house was sold last summer. =(

Then I had one in Hungary (Buda, to be exact) who I corresponded for around two years. Her name was Paola and we ended up losing contact.

My last one is Alexander (never Alex!), who lives 3 hours away in Oporto city (I'm in Lisbon) and we have been exchanging letters for around 5 years. It's not like we send a letter every week, we don't have time, but we always write extremelly long letters discussing everything that can be discussed. When the message is urgent (like happy birthday message or "you have to read this book" message) we exchanged cell numbers already and we just text. xD

With all the penpals I send souvenirs by Christmas or birthday. With the one I still keep we have a "tradition" of recording a CD with our fav songs at the moment each letter. =p
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Sep 28, 2008 11:20 AM

May 2007
I had several when I was younger (back before very many people had computers, so it was through traditional mail). I can remember having two in America and at least one in England, but I think each one only lasted a year or two and slowly stopped (sorry, it's very hard for me to remember; I just vaguely remember doing it).
Sep 28, 2008 12:49 PM

Dec 2007
I've had a number of penpals but I eventually lost contact with every one of them, which sucks quite a lot really :(
I've had three that I actually actively kept contact with for a proper length of time, who I broke contact with completely unintentionally, rather than just getting lazy and forgetting :|

Penpal One: Complete blank on their name.
>Where were they from? Australia.
>How long did you talk for? I honestly don't know, but it was a long time.
>Was it through email or actual letters? Letters
>How did you start talking to them? I was very young at the time, and my mum used to go to school with her mum before she moved to Aus. I honestly have no idea why, or when, I stopped writing to her.

Penpal Two: Their screen name was something to do with Lillies. I can't recall their real name either.
>Where were they from? China.
>How long did you talk for? 1 or 2 years
>Was it through email or actual letters? Email
>How did you start talking to them? I met them on the sailormoon.com chatrooms when I was just getting into anime, maaaaany years ago. I talked to them for a long time, but then for some reason the email account I was using at the time reset itself, and as I'd just been replying for ages, I sort of couldn't remember her email address -_-;

Penpal Three: Dan (who went by the screen name of Akira when we first met).
>Where were they from? Elsewhere in England :P
>How long did you talk for? In total, about 4 years. In letter format, maybe one :|
>Was it through email or actual letters? Both, although the letters were more "how much text can I fit into the small space on this greetings card"
>How did you start talking to them? I met them playing Nightmist years ago, and we'd chatted sporadically since then. We were meant to meet up last August... unfortunately I lost all contact with them in June or July when my phone got nicked on the train with all his contact details in it. I can't for the life of me find the old pen and paper details anywhere, and have a cards I've written over the past year that never never sent as I can't find a damn address. He hasn't contacted me since, presumably because he thinks I purposefully ignored him when we were meant to meet up :( (If you happen to be reading this, and your name is Dan, you used to go by Akira, and you played Nightmist... and you think this reminds you a little suspiciously of someone you used to talk to who didn't call themselves Ephidel, contact me :P)
EphidelSep 28, 2008 12:55 PM
Sep 29, 2008 11:55 PM

Sep 2007
I had one in Korea, but it took almost 2-3 months for the letters to be delivered so I gave up. =<

Plus, Korean students have school like 18 hours a day so she never hade the time to write to me. DX

I have an e-mail penpal in Germany though...
Sep 30, 2008 12:01 AM

Sep 2008
I stalk my former teachers with fucking cryptic messages saying why I ultimately was right in a debate about grammar nine years ago, does that count?
Perelman, martyr
Sep 30, 2008 2:28 AM

Feb 2005
khorven said:
I stalk my former teachers with fucking cryptic messages saying why I ultimately was right in a debate about grammar nine years ago, does that count?

I think they're supposed to write you back. And I don't think a letter from their lawyer counts :/

I've never really had penpals per se, but I've had MSN pals that I got to know from various forums and stuff.
Sep 30, 2008 3:37 AM

Sep 2008
Baman said:
khorven said:

I think they're supposed to write you back. And I don't think a letter from their lawyer counts :/

I've never really had penpals per se, but I've had MSN pals that I got to know from various forums and stuff.
Oh, they do.. in the first year of secondary school I felt the English sentence 'It is me who resembles God on earth' was wrong and it should be 'It is I who resemble God on earth.' the teacher disagreed with the argument that 'me' was the object and not the subject and 'who' was third person, I couldn't bring any-thing against it so I admitted to being wrong but years later I got interested in linguistics and found out about the rules of the nominative complement and that in English, traditionally reflexive pronouns agree in number and person with their reflectant so I mailed him that and he got back with that he couldn't even remember.

But he never studied English, he was actually a physics teacher and was just a native and then you're allowed in Holland to teach the first graders. I also asked him why it as 'If I were you' and not 'If I was you' and he said the verb agreed with 'you' in that case.. never heard of the subjunctive mood...
Perelman, martyr
Sep 30, 2008 3:46 AM

Nov 2007
I've had a couple, but only via email. I much prefer 'live chat' that IMs offer, but for some people email is the only option, so I've done the penpal thing a few times. It's kinda neat, but can also kind of suck while waiting for a reply. On IMs you see when people are online and can message each other, it's generally much easier. >.>
Sep 30, 2008 5:44 AM

Sep 2007
I had a German penpal a long time ago. He was a nice guy, he told me about his life through the emails. The funyn thing is, we nevver exchanged letters with him, but when I was in high school I did exchange letters with the guys I was going out with.
Sep 30, 2008 5:46 AM

Jul 2008
Yeah, I have a PayPal.

Lulz.
LEGENDOFTHEGALACTICHEROESLEGENDOFTHEGALACTI
Sep 30, 2008 5:53 AM

Feb 2005
khorven said:
Oh, they do.. in the first year of secondary school I felt the English sentence 'It is me who resembles God on earth' was wrong and it should be 'It is I who resemble God on earth.' the teacher disagreed with the argument that 'me' was the object and not the subject and 'who' was third person, I couldn't bring any-thing against it so I admitted to being wrong but years later I got interested in linguistics and found out about the rules of the nominative complement and that in English, traditionally reflexive pronouns agree in number and person with their reflectant so I mailed him that and he got back with that he couldn't even remember.

But he never studied English, he was actually a physics teacher and was just a native and then you're allowed in Holland to teach the first graders. I also asked him why it as 'If I were you' and not 'If I was you' and he said the verb agreed with 'you' in that case.. never heard of the subjunctive mood...

It is a bit weirrd hov anione can teatcsh any subejct to first gardres. The poor kids may hvae to sufer trhouh incorekt teatcshing, tehy mihgt lern inglish inkorectli and be handikacped troghu teh rset of thir lifes. Lukyli, I had a vrey siklled einglishj techer.
Sep 30, 2008 7:23 AM

Sep 2008
Baman said:
khorven said:

It is a bit weirrd hov anione can teatcsh any subejct to first gardres. The poor kids may hvae to sufer trhouh incorekt teatcshing, tehy mihgt lern inglish inkorectli and be handikacped troghu teh rset of thir lifes. Lukyli, I had a vrey siklled einglishj techer.
Actually, any teacher who is authorised to teach on secondary school may teach any first year class, the idea is that the homeroom does the vast majority of the classes in your first year on secondary school on most schools.
Perelman, martyr
Sep 30, 2008 7:41 AM

Dec 2007
khorven said:
Baman said:
khorven said:

Actually, any teacher who is authorised to teach on secondary school may teach any first year class, the idea is that the homeroom does the vast majority of the classes in your first year on secondary school on most schools.

*praises the system*
Here a "primary school" teacher must graduate a primary school teacher college. The same goes to all levels and in "basic school" you have to graduate college from the issue. For example a "physics high school teacher" can't teach physics in basic school. Which is stupid for a variety of reasons.

ANYWAY, back to the point!
My penpal texted me saying "yay I got your letter!"
It kind of defeats the whole purpose. xD
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Sep 30, 2008 7:54 AM

Apr 2008
I had one in year 3 because we were forced too but it was kind of fun getting letters each month. He was in France I think I remember his name as Alex but that could be completely wrong. We wrote actual letters (had to practice the old handwriting) but it only lasted for that school year.
I do distinctly remember talking about Pokemon with him though :D
Oct 1, 2008 1:26 PM

Jul 2008
Well, when I was in the 3rd grade or so I had a penpal from New York. I would write to her weekly, but about a year later we lost track.

Shortly after that I used to check the mailbox for letters from her, but she never sent back.
Oct 1, 2008 1:49 PM

Feb 2008
Bou said:

Shortly after that I used to check the mailbox for letters from her, but she never sent back.

That's really sad :'(
-huggle-
Oct 2, 2008 1:54 PM

Jul 2008
-Hugs back- <3
Oct 2, 2008 5:40 PM

Jul 2007
I had a few back in elementary school. It was pretty cool thing to do.
Oct 2, 2008 7:09 PM

Mar 2008
:D i had a penpal from spain, even tho' i took french and droped it for latin, only to find out Japanese is BADASS xD.but yah, David :D hmmm, i miss mah spanish homieee T-T
Oct 3, 2008 7:35 PM

Apr 2008
My class had to do that Penpal thing back in 6th Grade. Mine was from Australia. We talked a lil more than half a month then after I lost one of the last letters from her I never wrote back again and she never did either. ( I kinda felt bad since in the last letter she said the was kinda deciding on taking a trip to the US but had heard that Americans are rude to Foreigners and made them sleep on the floor and stuff. 0_o)

Oct 3, 2008 11:41 PM

May 2008
Nope but I do have a person I really like talking to on the computer. It's been going on for a couple years now..is that considered a pen pal?

I wanna try it one day. Like the old fashioned mail by mail pen pal. From what I can get from everybody's posts, it sounds totally wicked.
"I've read so much manga that at times my mind works in comic panels and dramatically expressed chibis. I'm both ashamed and amused by this."

Oct 4, 2008 1:31 PM
Aug 2008
one penpal , via email ...
Oct 4, 2008 7:00 PM

Jul 2008
I actually had a Korean penpal when I was in middle school, and I have exchanged letter to her for about 2 weeks in ESL class. Our class needed to write fluently, so we manually responded by letters.

Since I'm a total disorganized person, I don't know where I put the stacks of letter. >_<
Oct 4, 2008 7:50 PM

Aug 2007
In something like fourth grade our class had penpals from Sweden. Forget how long my penpal and I wrote back and forth but maybe a few months until it just kind of stopped abruptly. Not sure what I did with the letters now though..
Oct 7, 2008 1:11 AM

Sep 2008
Never had a penpall only talk to people on the other side of the world with Im.
Oct 7, 2008 1:38 AM

Aug 2008
LolitaDecay said:
Bou said:

That's really sad :'(
-huggle-

Donnie Darko flashback of Grandma Death walking back and fourth to her mailbox there
Oct 7, 2008 10:45 AM

Sep 2007
I had one in elementary school, when my teacher forced it on us. But I only wrote that person one time, and I'd be damned if I remember a lick about who they were and what I wrote about.

Did you know there's a Phantasy Star Club?
Oct 9, 2008 8:15 AM

Sep 2008
Do penpals include email exchanges? I have two people I regularly email/IM with... both of whom I've never met in person. Well, I exchange letters/parcels with them too... send them stuff right after Comiket attached with drawings and things.

One of them I met in iRO, she was in the first guild I ever joined, and we've been in contact for 6 years now, I think? The other I met recently in a Touhou community.

Both of them I consider as dear friends, even though I've never seen them.
Oct 9, 2008 9:56 AM

Aug 2008
I used to have a Japanese penpal and she came and stayed with us for a few weeks
but we stopped writing around the time we went into high school, she got very busy with her studies.
I kind of miss her :/
Oct 9, 2008 1:04 PM

Apr 2008
if friends on the other side of the world count, then yes.
Oct 9, 2008 1:39 PM

Oct 2008
I have an e-mail penpal, we've been penpals for about 6 months now, and he lives on the other side of my country. Plus, when I moved away from my state three years ago my old friends became penpals. Actual letters and e-mail.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.