Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (13) « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 10 » ... Last »
Apr 25, 2012 3:48 PM

Mar 2012
Xayoz said:
ataraxial said:

I don't understand why people think that what Kiritsugu's doing is evil.
It might not be honorable or "right," but all he's doing is killing people who have willingly decided to participate in a war where they knew their lives would constantly be at risk. He has not killed anyone innocent for any reason - all of his actions are solely to ensure that he wins the war in a quick and relatively risk-free way. What would be evil is to kill innocent people to lure out his opponents... oh wait, that's what Caster (with Ryuunosuke's total support) did. So you can call Ryuunosuke + Caster evil; I'm fine with that, but Kiritsugu is nowhere close to their level.
He might be a sneaky bastard who fights dirty, but he does have standards - not to mention a conscience.

Evil is a matter of perspective.
Killing you opponents in the grail war is of course expected.
In the current case tho, killing Kayneth and Sola who posed no immediate threat while promising them safe passage can certainly be considered 'evil', even if it was a smart move in the long run.

That particular matter aside.
Kiritsugu is the sort of guy who wold stab his father in the back to save a hundred strangers.
Logcial? Yes.
Acceptable? Not for me.

He did not promise them safe passage. Even if Maiya weren't there, Saber or Irisviel could've killed Kayneth (although we, the audience, know that they probably wouldn't), not to mention the other masters and servants out there who might similarly want him dead just to make sure. You can blame Kiritsugu for tricking Kayneth, but I personally think it's more Kayneth's fault for not considering the possibility that he would not be safe even if Kiritsugu himself couldn't kill him.

Also, if you only care about "immediate threats," you're as good as done in the Holy Grail War. See my post above for why it's necessary to kill all three of them even if Kayneth couldn't kill Kiritsugu "immediately."

Your hypothetical scenario is much too vague to be of any value. For instance, if my father were about to shoot a hundred innocent people including women and children, I might very well stab him in the back to stop him. Also, you're saying that Kiritsugu would make a certain choice in your indefinitely defined scenario without any justification. Please remedy this.
Apr 25, 2012 3:58 PM

Apr 2009
ataraxial said:
Also, you're saying that Kiritsugu would make a certain choice in your indefinitely defined scenario without any justification. Please remedy this.

No. I am pointing out something Kiritsugu did in the past.
Whenever you correct someone's grammar just remember that nobody likes you.
Apr 25, 2012 4:01 PM

Mar 2012
Xayoz said:
ataraxial said:
Also, you're saying that Kiritsugu would make a certain choice in your indefinitely defined scenario without any justification. Please remedy this.

Spoiler tags would have been helpful then.
Also, for those of us who have not read Fate/Zero, it is still quite poorly defined since we are unaware of the details.
Apr 25, 2012 4:05 PM

Oct 2009
Xayoz said:
ataraxial said:

You don't think it was acceptable in that situation?

Have you even read the light novel?
Apr 25, 2012 4:12 PM

Apr 2009
I don't think details are relevant here tho. The fact of a matter is - Kiritsugu at this point believes in the 'greater good'. That killing one is inherently justified if it saves many. I don't agree with that.
But indeed, perhaps we should leave that discussion for after the series has ended to avoid further spoilers.

Topgunuk69 said:

You don't think it was acceptable in that situation?

Have you even read the light novel?

I most likely wouldn't have done it.
Apr 25, 2012 4:16 PM
Dec 2007
ataraxial said:

I like both Lancers a lot because they are much more tactical servants. They are the most agile, but not the most powerful. Their noble phantasms are less about destruction and over-powering the enemy than about finding the right opportunity to secure an effective and efficient kill (excluding Gae Bolg's Anti-Army mode, of course). It takes a lot of strategy and cunning in order to use a Lancer-class servant properly, and Diarmuid is a better example of this than Cu Chulainn is. He has two noble phantasms, and both of them are passive in nature. Which, in my opinion, is really quite cool. Just taking his first battle with Saber for example - the fact that he was able to wound her so severely while not being nearly as powerful of a servant as she is nor have nearly as powerful of a noble phantasm as she has is quite impressive.
I actually quite agree, I was mostly just pointing out the differences in rank when it comes to their stories and "power". I agree Diarmuid was forced by tragedy and circumnstances and in terms of his quality as a hero he's the tragic hero, opposed to Cuchulainn whose story is more about honour, glory and pride.

As for Kiritsugu, I think he makes an excellent foil for Saber. They both have the same goal (regardless of what Saber thinks) but Kiritsugu is all about results while Saber worries about methods. She embodies the ideal of loyalty, honour and mercy, while Kiritsugu sees things in such an extreme way that he shows no mercy to the enemy. In his mind, fooling around with rules on a battlefield is pointless, it's all about the result. If he spares one enemy, that enemy could potentially undo him. Kiritsugu would not take that risk, Saber would. Kiritsugu may be killing only the Masters as of now, but don't forget he turned a blind eye to Caster's debauchery prioritizing instead the defeat of Lancer and the surveillance of Kirei and his Assassin. He only bothered with Caster when the deaths started to get staggering and he summoned his super monster.

Of course, Kiritsugu gets his just desserts eventually for his extreme views, just like Saber did for her extreme idealism (which is the actual reason she seeks to undo her rule). You can see in STay Night that Kiritsugu was basically a broken man before his death.

Apr 25, 2012 4:19 PM

Oct 2009
Xayoz said:
I don't think details are relevant here tho. The fact of a matter is - Kiritsugu at this point believes in the 'greater good'. That killing one is inherently justified if it saves many. I don't agree with that.
But indeed, perhaps we should leave that discussion for after the series has ended to avoid further spoilers.

Details are very important.

The thing you "pointed out" barely resembles the actual situation in the LN.

Apr 25, 2012 4:30 PM

Apr 2009
Topgunuk69 said:

Tbt - that is pretty irrelevant of course and merely a result of my personal views and values. I am not trying to imply that Kiritsugus actions aren't justifiable based on common ethics.
XayozApr 25, 2012 4:39 PM
Apr 25, 2012 4:38 PM

Oct 2009
Xayoz said:
Topgunuk69 said:

Apr 25, 2012 4:52 PM

Apr 2009
Topgunuk69 said:

Apr 25, 2012 5:46 PM

Mar 2012
Uh, i didn't expect for Lancer's Master to die like that.. :D
I guess there's a reason why should Kiritsugu be merciless like that..
Apr 25, 2012 8:29 PM

May 2011
Always use spoiler tags man... You couldn't of gone back and edited your post Xayoz? Seriously?
Kayaba-Apr 25, 2012 8:34 PM
Apr 25, 2012 8:30 PM

Jul 2007
The preview images for episode 17 have been released.

http://seventhstyle.com/2012/04/25/fatezero-episode-17-pre-release-images/
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Change, change the form of man. Free the might from fleshy mire. Boil the blood in heart of fire. Gone, gone the form of man. Rise the demon, Etrigan!
Apr 25, 2012 8:37 PM

Jun 2009
I'm guessing we'll be seeing *that scene* of Rin and Tokiomi shown in the prologue of Fate/stay night?
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Apr 25, 2012 9:09 PM

Aug 2010
LunarMoon said:
The preview images for episode 17 have been released.

http://seventhstyle.com/2012/04/25/fatezero-episode-17-pre-release-images/

Looks interesting. I can't wait.
Apr 25, 2012 9:11 PM

Apr 2012
ohhhhh
just saw ep 17 preview pics
kirei
that smile
those eyes
seriously...
making me question my sexuality
whys he so hot?
As a child, I was told that society is a melting pot of talents; knowledge and experience combined to form important alloys that will contribute to mankind. When I got to highschool, however, I thought that it's more like a river in which the water represents our peers while we ourselves are the stones in the river. Constant erosion by mindless majority sheeping has made us lose our unique edge. After I hit the age of 18, I realized that I've been wrong all along. Society is no melting pot. Society is no river. Society is a person, a very skilled rapist, and he has fucked us all.
Apr 25, 2012 9:34 PM
Dec 2007
BloodRequiem said:
ohhhhh
just saw ep 17 preview pics
kirei
that smile
those eyes
seriously...
making me question my sexuality
whys he so hot?
Because he's called "beautiful", of course. =p (and yes, as a little bit of semi-useless backstory, Risei did name him "beautiful", Kirei says as much in Stay Night).
Leon-GunApr 25, 2012 9:37 PM

Apr 26, 2012 7:10 AM
Apr 2012
seriously i really hate sebar and her master damn it
now lancer is dead fuck fuck
Apr 26, 2012 8:27 AM

Mar 2010
ataraxial said:

The way he kills is cruel only if, like you said, you think that Kayneth and Sola-Ui would go on happily and never care about Kiritsugu after Kayneth has fulfilled his part of the geis. Unless you have a problem with that part as well - after all, the whole point of Kiritsugu setting it up the way he did is because he didn't want to risk the consequences of Saber fighting Lancer. I think he's very justified in having Kayneth deal with Lancer rather than having Saber fight him. After the battle on the river, Saber is not exactly in top form, and even if she could win against Lancer, it would not be the best tactical situation to have just gone through two major battles in one night. In order to deal with Lancer quickly, Kiritsugu uses the geis, which is an excellent idea, even by itself. Even if you disagree with this since it involves betraying Saber and pissing off Lancer and whatnot, he still has to kill Lancer eventually in order to win...

With Lancer gone, Kayneth and Sola-Ui are screwed anyways. They've been screwed from the beginning with their tragic love triangle. I really don't think that Sola-Ui would all of a sudden turn to Kayneth in acceptance after Lancer dies - if anything, she'd blame him for killing him (or letting him die, if we're going with an alternate scenario without the geis). That's not even mentioning that she has still been supplying Lancer with mana even after her seals are cut off, so she could easily make a contract with another servant in order to try to win the Grail in the hopes of wishing Lancer back to life or something silly like that. Ultimately, as a mage who is partaking in the Grail War, Sola-Ui's death is as necessary as Lancer's for Kiritsugu to ensure his victory.

With Sola-Ui dead, Kayneth would have very little to live for... except perhaps to take revenge on the person who killed her. This is a much greater threat to Kiritsugu if we're going with using the geis, but either way, Kayneth could still pose a threat to Kiritsugu even in his broken state. Even if he can't use magic, he could still control a servant who has their mana supplied from elsewhere, and he could always resort to other methods to take revenge on Kiritsugu. He might also be motivated (although admittedly less likely) to attempt to acquire the Grail in order to wish Sola-Ui back to life.

In the end, there is plenty of danger to leaving any part of Team Irish alive, so Kiritsugu decides to take out all three of them in the most efficient and risk-free way possible. Sure, it's very cheap and a bit cruel, but it's all justified in fighting the war. He's not "mistaken" about the safety he'll get from killing the three of them since it's impossible to reasonably expect any of them to give up peacefully.

I understand why he did that, not to mention that he probably knew that Saber wouldn't fight all out (what I found rather silly). I also agree that they wouldn't live happily ever after. But my point was, that Keyneth had already enough trouble as it was and I doubt he would intervene with the war more. Think about it, he lost his magic, his legs, his pride as a mage, his only chance to get grail and nearly his future wife. His fianceé was in a bad condition and since he was willing to give everything up for her, I'm pretty certain that making sure she was fine would be much more important to him than thinking about revenge.

The only issue with this discussion is that we both base it on what we think Keyneth would do had he stayed alive. That leads to nowhere, since we can never know it. However, why I say Kiritsugu isn't doing any good is that he immediatelly did what was easier to him to eliminate any possible danger regardless whether it was reasonable or not. He goes straight towards his goal through any deaths and the easiest possible way. That would still be fine with me, it's rather reasonable give the situation. But what I find messed up is that he doesn't even have the guts to do the dirty work himself. He either has Saber (unwillingly) or Mayia do it. He destroyed Keyneth's life and he didn't even look at him dying. It's as if he refused to see what he does, as if he refused to admit it was his doing. He simply pretends it has nothing to do with him and justifies it with saying that he wants world peace. Like I said before, if he killed him on his own and then killed Lancer by ordering Saber to fight all out or/and help her (not necessarily in this order), that would be completely different case. Instead, he literally betrayed him, forcing him to betray his servant in exchange for his and his fianceé's life and then had someone else shoot them while he was looking away as if he wasn't there. I felt as if he was trying to run away from the death and pain he was causing. The way he acted during conversation with Saber is another proof of that. He couldn't face her, he couldn't even look her way. I don't see him as anything else but a coward that can't even face his own doings. Sorry, but there is no way how I could respect a character like him.

EDIT: On an unrelated note: next ep looks awesome. Finally more Rin and lol at that facepalm. XD
SuiNoByakkoApr 26, 2012 8:33 AM
Apr 26, 2012 10:39 AM

Mar 2012
HikaruIzumi said:
ataraxial said:

The way he kills is cruel only if, like you said, you think that Kayneth and Sola-Ui would go on happily and never care about Kiritsugu after Kayneth has fulfilled his part of the geis. Unless you have a problem with that part as well - after all, the whole point of Kiritsugu setting it up the way he did is because he didn't want to risk the consequences of Saber fighting Lancer. I think he's very justified in having Kayneth deal with Lancer rather than having Saber fight him. After the battle on the river, Saber is not exactly in top form, and even if she could win against Lancer, it would not be the best tactical situation to have just gone through two major battles in one night. In order to deal with Lancer quickly, Kiritsugu uses the geis, which is an excellent idea, even by itself. Even if you disagree with this since it involves betraying Saber and pissing off Lancer and whatnot, he still has to kill Lancer eventually in order to win...

With Lancer gone, Kayneth and Sola-Ui are screwed anyways. They've been screwed from the beginning with their tragic love triangle. I really don't think that Sola-Ui would all of a sudden turn to Kayneth in acceptance after Lancer dies - if anything, she'd blame him for killing him (or letting him die, if we're going with an alternate scenario without the geis). That's not even mentioning that she has still been supplying Lancer with mana even after her seals are cut off, so she could easily make a contract with another servant in order to try to win the Grail in the hopes of wishing Lancer back to life or something silly like that. Ultimately, as a mage who is partaking in the Grail War, Sola-Ui's death is as necessary as Lancer's for Kiritsugu to ensure his victory.

With Sola-Ui dead, Kayneth would have very little to live for... except perhaps to take revenge on the person who killed her. This is a much greater threat to Kiritsugu if we're going with using the geis, but either way, Kayneth could still pose a threat to Kiritsugu even in his broken state. Even if he can't use magic, he could still control a servant who has their mana supplied from elsewhere, and he could always resort to other methods to take revenge on Kiritsugu. He might also be motivated (although admittedly less likely) to attempt to acquire the Grail in order to wish Sola-Ui back to life.

In the end, there is plenty of danger to leaving any part of Team Irish alive, so Kiritsugu decides to take out all three of them in the most efficient and risk-free way possible. Sure, it's very cheap and a bit cruel, but it's all justified in fighting the war. He's not "mistaken" about the safety he'll get from killing the three of them since it's impossible to reasonably expect any of them to give up peacefully.

I understand why he did that, not to mention that he probably knew that Saber wouldn't fight all out (what I found rather silly). I also agree that they wouldn't live happily ever after. But my point was, that Keyneth had already enough trouble as it was and I doubt he would intervene with the war more. Think about it, he lost his magic, his legs, his pride as a mage, his only chance to get grail and nearly his future wife. His fianceé was in a bad condition and since he was willing to give everything up for her, I'm pretty certain that making sure she was fine would be much more important to him than thinking about revenge.

The only issue with this discussion is that we both base it on what we think Keyneth would do had he stayed alive. That leads to nowhere, since we can never know it. However, why I say Kiritsugu isn't doing any good is that he immediatelly did what was easier to him to eliminate any possible danger regardless whether it was reasonable or not. He goes straight towards his goal through any deaths and the easiest possible way. That would still be fine with me, it's rather reasonable give the situation. But what I find messed up is that he doesn't even have the guts to do the dirty work himself. He either has Saber (unwillingly) or Mayia do it. He destroyed Keyneth's life and he didn't even look at him dying. It's as if he refused to see what he does, as if he refused to admit it was his doing. He simply pretends it has nothing to do with him and justifies it with saying that he wants world peace. Like I said before, if he killed him on his own and then killed Lancer by ordering Saber to fight all out or/and help her (not necessarily in this order), that would be completely different case. Instead, he literally betrayed him, forcing him to betray his servant in exchange for his and his fianceé's life and then had someone else shoot them while he was looking away as if he wasn't there. I felt as if he was trying to run away from the death and pain he was causing. The way he acted during conversation with Saber is another proof of that. He couldn't face her, he couldn't even look her way. I don't see him as anything else but a coward that can't even face his own doings. Sorry, but there is no way how I could respect a character like him.

You realize that he doesn't face people because he's torn inside over what he's doing, right? It makes him much more tragic as a hero since he's torturing himself by doing these things simply because he has faith that the Grail can fix everything. It would be much worse if he could face Saber and Kayneth while talking to them - that would mean either that he's totally emotionless or that he's sadistic. By being unable to face them, he's showing that he has a conscience hidden behind his cold exterior.

He's also definitely not a coward by any means. The only reason he didn't kill Sola-Ui and Kayneth himself is because he couldn't due to the geis...

It's true that what we're doing is speculating about Kayneth's and Sola-Ui's potential actions, but the fact still remains that Sola-Ui is a major threat as a master who could easily control a different servant since she can still use magic. It would be silly to let her go, and killing her is the only safe option.

I agree that Kayneth would be fine if both he and Sola-Ui were allowed to go on living, but Sola-Ui would not be content with that and would still try to attain the Grail in order to wish Lancer back to life or something similar. And then since she must be eliminated, that immediatley makes Kiritsugu a target for revenge, and also motivates Kayneth to seek out the Grail via whatever means possible to get back Sola-Ui. I don't understand why you think Kayneth would back down after he's lost everything - if anything, based on what we've seen of him in Fate/Zero, he becomes more unreasonable and frustrated the more he's lost.

Bottom line is that masters are still dangerous and can still form contracts after they've lost their servants, and vice versa. The three of them must be taken out together.
Apr 26, 2012 10:46 AM

Apr 2012
HikaruIzumi said:
ataraxial said:

EDIT: On an unrelated note: next ep looks awesome. Finally more Rin and lol at that facepalm. XD

he cant let saber and lancer duel it out because he has to eliminate the command spell AND the servant
or else if he simply kills kayneth and lets saber kill lancer (keep in mind that lancer is a pretty formidable opponent and it will be a difficult battle with saber's bs chivalry mode on)
the command spell will circulate back into the system and be distributed to other masters which will give kiritsugu a disadvantage

and if he straight out just shot kayneth and sola in the building
lancer would have tried to skewer him on a pole
keep in mind that lancer is way faster than saber so kiritsugu would probably have to use a command spell to get saber to protect him which not only makes him lose a command spell but also leaves irisviel vulnerable
BloodRequiemApr 26, 2012 10:51 AM
As a child, I was told that society is a melting pot of talents; knowledge and experience combined to form important alloys that will contribute to mankind. When I got to highschool, however, I thought that it's more like a river in which the water represents our peers while we ourselves are the stones in the river. Constant erosion by mindless majority sheeping has made us lose our unique edge. After I hit the age of 18, I realized that I've been wrong all along. Society is no melting pot. Society is no river. Society is a person, a very skilled rapist, and he has fucked us all.
Apr 26, 2012 11:39 AM

Mar 2012
Leon-Gun said:
I actually quite agree, I was mostly just pointing out the differences in rank when it comes to their stories and "power". I agree Diarmuid was forced by tragedy and circumnstances and in terms of his quality as a hero he's the tragic hero, opposed to Cuchulainn whose story is more about honour, glory and pride.

As for Kiritsugu, I think he makes an excellent foil for Saber. They both have the same goal (regardless of what Saber thinks) but Kiritsugu is all about results while Saber worries about methods. She embodies the ideal of loyalty, honour and mercy, while Kiritsugu sees things in such an extreme way that he shows no mercy to the enemy. In his mind, fooling around with rules on a battlefield is pointless, it's all about the result. If he spares one enemy, that enemy could potentially undo him. Kiritsugu would not take that risk, Saber would. Kiritsugu may be killing only the Masters as of now, but don't forget he turned a blind eye to Caster's debauchery prioritizing instead the defeat of Lancer and the surveillance of Kirei and his Assassin. He only bothered with Caster when the deaths started to get staggering and he summoned his super monster.

Of course, Kiritsugu gets his just desserts eventually for his extreme views, just like Saber did for her extreme idealism (which is the actual reason she seeks to undo her rule). You can see in STay Night that Kiritsugu was basically a broken man before his death.

Ahh, that makes sense then. It sounded like you were trying to argue that nobody should ever prefer Diarmuid over Cu Chulainn because of their difference in stories/power. Glad that we agree :)

That's right, Kiritsugu did prioritize Lancer over Caster... that seems pretty bad, but there's some consolation in that there was plenty of incentive for the other masters to take Caster out with the prize of the command spell. Also, it makes sense to deal with Lancer first since he must be dealt with in order for Saber to get back to her full potential as well as to recover Excalibur - with Saber not at peak performance, Caster might easily have been too much for her. In fact, Saber would've been in a lot of trouble in the forest battle if not for Lancer being there as well. Ultimately, Kiritsugu took care of Caster as soon as Gae Buidhe was dealt with, which can't really be considered amoral since it would've a lot less helpful to have Saber get owned by Caster while in her injured form.

(FSN-based spoilers ahead)
ataraxialApr 26, 2012 12:15 PM
Apr 26, 2012 11:53 AM

Feb 2010
@ataraxial: Pssst. For your most recent comment, you might want to put the part with Kiritsugu (your second paragraph) in spoiler tags ^^; It doesn't particularly bother me, but it might bother other people who haven't read the LN or got up to that part yet.

You technically didn't spoil anything specific for the ending, but your comment kind of implies it.
Apr 26, 2012 11:55 AM

Mar 2012
sallym613 said:
@ataraxial: Pssst. For your most recent comment, you might want to put the part with Kiritsugu (your second paragraph) in spoiler tags ^^; It doesn't particularly bother me, but it might bother other people who haven't read the LN or got up to that part yet.

I haven't gotten very far in the LN either. The source for that stuff is FSN, which is supposed to be seen/played before Fate/Zero... so I don't think spoiler tags are necessary for this one. The conclusion of Fate/Zero is supposed to be known before watching it since it is a prequel, after all...
Apr 26, 2012 11:57 AM

Feb 2010
ataraxial said:
sallym613 said:

I haven't gotten very far in the LN either. The source for that stuff is FSN, which is supposed to be seen/played before Fate/Zero... so I don't think spoiler tags are necessary for this one. The conclusion of Fate/Zero is supposed to be known before watching it since it is a prequel, after all...

Hmm good point.

Though it might be a spoiler for those who decided to watch F/Z before watching/playing FSN.
Apr 26, 2012 12:03 PM

Mar 2012
sallym613 said:
Hmm good point.

Though it might be a spoiler for those who decided to watch F/Z before watching/playing FSN.

That's true, but it would be spoiling FSN, not F/Z since they are assumed to have watched/played FSN before F/Z. Which doesn't bother me, since all of F/Z is a spoiler for FSN - you learn Saber's true identity in the first episode for instance.

Edit: Apparently if you delete a post, the thread gets dropped from Watched Topics until a new post replaces it... another fun MAL glitch.
Apr 26, 2012 12:05 PM

Feb 2010
What insan3soldiern said ^
(Is MAL malfunctioning right now? He just posted a comment but his comment just suddenly disappeared a minute after..)

Technically its spoiler (for the ending) for those who has only watched F/Z (and not FSN) so far.

I think most people here have already watched or played FSN before F/Z, but there are still some who are new to the Fate franchise.
Apr 26, 2012 12:09 PM

Jun 2009
sallym613 said:
(Is MAL malfunctioning right now? He just posted a comment but his comment just suddenly disappeared a minute after..)

Technically its spoiler (for the ending) for those who has only watched F/Z (and not FSN) so far.

I think most people here have already watched or played FSN before F/Z, but there are still some who are new to the Fate franchise.

Nah, I deleted it. I thought it was kind of redundant considering you pretty much said something similar before me.

But, I'll add something I guess. At point where we are at in the story, there is still the possibility for someone to pick up Fate/stay at this point and not have those plot threads ataraxial mentioned spoiled. At least let them have that option.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Apr 26, 2012 12:14 PM

Mar 2012
insan3soldiern said:
sallym613 said:

Nah, I deleted it. I thought it was kind of redundant considering you pretty much said something similar before me.

But, I'll add something I guess. At point where we are at in the story, there is still the possibility for someone to pick up Fate/stay at this point and not have those plot threads ataraxial mentioned spoiled. At least let them have that option.

All right, if you guys care so much, I'll put in the spoiler tags.
In general though, I think that it should be those people themselves who should be responsible for avoiding FSN-based spoilers since they're the ones doing it in non-standard order. Like I said before, all of F/Z is a spoiler for FSN anyways. Also, putting in FSN-based spoiler tags is not only cumbersome, but it can also be misleading for those who have seen FSN and are only trying to avoid F/Z LN-based spoilers.

Edit: It might be less clear-cut since Fate/Zero's a prequel made after FSN, but I personally think it should be treated as a sequel for all intents and purposes, since that's how it's supposed to be experienced to begin with. The Star Wars movies come to mind.
ataraxialApr 26, 2012 12:18 PM
Apr 26, 2012 12:29 PM

Feb 2010
@ ataraxial:

We both dont care as much as other people might :P Just letting you know as I have seen few people in other threads that get really annoyed about people spoiling things without putting them in spoiler tags.

Your comment that hints on what happens to Kiritsugu in the end is technically spoiler for those who want to find out the conclusion behind F/Z, but haven't got themselves introduced to Fate franchise through FSN (whether thru VN or anime).
Which I already mentioned.

And also, unfortunately lots of people probably heard about how F/Z is so much better than FSN so there seems to be a consensus among them that they're only going to watch F/Z and not FSN (which is kind of sad). I have also seen some people who have actually recommended people watching F/Z, then playing or watching FSN.
Which I personally don't agree with since I think it's more fun going through FSN first before going into F/Z :P

You can also just indicate (in italics or whatever) what the stuff in your spoiler tags exactly spoils so that people would know. That way people who have watched FSN would know whether to open up the spoiler or not.

I still need to finish watching Star Wars. I only watched the later trilogy so far, which is probably a bad idea but I had to do it for apocalyptism film class...

Okay enough commenting from me. I really need to finish my final project =X Will come back later to reply.
Apr 26, 2012 12:38 PM

Mar 2012
sallym613 said:
@ ataraxial:

We both dont care as much as other people might :P Just letting you know as I have seen few people in other threads that get really annoyed about people spoiling things without putting them in spoiler tags.

Your comment that hints on what happens to Kiritsugu in the end is technically spoiler for those who want to find out the conclusion behind F/Z, but haven't got themselves introduced to Fate franchise through FSN (whether thru VN or anime).
Which I already mentioned.

And also, unfortunately lots of people probably heard about how F/Z is so much better than FSN so there seems to be a consensus among them that they're only going to watch F/Z and not FSN (which is kind of sad). I have also seen some people who have actually recommended people watching F/Z, then playing or watching FSN.
Which I personally don't agree with since I think it's more fun going through FSN first before going into F/Z :P

You can also just indicate (in italics or whatever) what the stuff in your spoiler tags exactly spoils so that people would know. That way people who have watched FSN would know whether to open up the spoiler or not.

I still need to finish watching Star Wars. I only watched the later trilogy so far, which is probably a bad idea but I had to do it for apocalyptism film class...

Okay enough commenting from me. I really need to finish my final project =X Will come back later to reply.

My opinion of those people is basically that they're doing it wrong.

It's fine with me if they want to do F/Z then FSN or only F/Z, but in this case FSN comes before F/Z in every single way (except chronologically), so I'm not going to bother myself to actively accomodate them. Like I've said before, they're spoiling their FSN experience by watching F/Z first anyways.

Spoilers are only spoilers if they give away vital details that are not meant to be known until they are revealed in the work itself. In this case, knowing what happens at the end of F/Z based on information from FSN is not a spoiler any more than knowing what happens to Anakin at the end of the Star Wars prequel trilogy is a spoiler. In other words, it's not a spoiler at all.
Apr 26, 2012 12:48 PM

Feb 2010
@ ataraxial:

I also share your opinion as well. I agree that people should watch read FSN before watching or reading F/Z novel. I personally feel that I enjoyed and got more out of F/Z than FSN so far (I haven't read Heaven's Feel yet) so I'm actually glad that I didn't experience them in the reverse order. If I had, I probably wouldnt have enjoyed FSN as much.

Before I head back to doing my final project (hopefully I can stay away from MAL for a while so I can finish it today), I apologize in advance if it seems like I made a really big deal out of the whole spoiler thing. It doesn't matter much to me, but as someone who absolutely hates being spoiled with spoilers, I can understand why people might complain about it.

TWO MORE DAYS until next episode 8D With more Gil <3 Based on the preview pictures, seems like the animation quality dropped a bit though. Maybe it's just me.
Apr 26, 2012 12:53 PM

Mar 2012
sallym613 said:
@ ataraxial:

I also share your opinion as well. I agree that people should watch read FSN before watching or reading F/Z novel. I personally feel that I enjoyed and got more out of F/Z than FSN so far (I haven't read Heaven's Feel yet) so I'm actually glad that I didn't experience them in the reverse order. If I had, I probably wouldnt have enjoyed FSN as much.

Before I head back to doing my final project (hopefully I can stay away from MAL for a while so I can finish it today), I apologize in advance if it seems like I made a really big deal out of the whole spoiler thing. It doesn't matter much to me, but as someone who absolutely hates being spoiled with spoilers, I can understand why people might complain about it.

It's okay, no need to apologize, really.
I hate spoilers as well, so I can understand why you might try to warn me about it out of good will.
Good luck with your project!
Apr 26, 2012 1:11 PM
Dec 2007
Hmm, I guess I can see your point on Kiritsugu's end, it may have been a little too much, not to mention, it not only doomed him, but someone else too (which makes it oh so funny how peopl mention Nasu can't be evil to his characters when he has several shining examples, I'm looking at you Ilyasviel von EInzbern).

Apr 26, 2012 9:20 PM
Mar 2012
Awesome developments and interesting views on Kiritsugu's part. I have to say, to some degree, I do agree with him.
Apr 27, 2012 3:39 AM

Jul 2009
I like this small detail (picture under spoiler):

For a brief moment, Kiritsugu gives an angry glance at Saber. At that moment, his eyes are clear (well, clearer than they are usually at least). Soon however, he goes back to his emotionless self and his eyes start looking empty again:

It is nice to see ufotable take such small details into account. Just that moment alone tells a lot about Kiritsugu's character.
Apr 27, 2012 5:50 AM

Mar 2012
MasterSpark11 said:

For a brief moment, Kiritsugu gives an angry glance at Saber. At that moment, his eyes are clear (well, clearer than they are usually at least). Soon however, he goes back to his emotionless self and his eyes start looking empty again:

It is nice to see ufotable take such small details into account. Just that moment alone tells a lot about Kiritsugu's character.

A relevant quote from pages ago:

Thess said:
Montrovant1488 said:
ataraxial said:
Montrovant1488 said:
Kiritsugu = 2
Saber = 0

I think everyone's favourite blond bitch will get pwned badly.

What are you talking about?

Since they don't see eye to eye, have different ideals, etc. In my book Kiritsugu is winning (not the Holy Cum War, but the most bad ass character of this not-too-cool show).

Kiritsugu won that argument although, he did look at Saber with dick-slapping intent.

Now as for my 2-0 score it refers to the times Kiritsugu has pwned Saber or her honor, the first one was in the first season (can't quite remember the event) now this one, taking away from her this "knightly" fight and that argument that left Saber's hand in need of something of phallic nature.

As Saber was about to speak her thoughts, she suddenly found that her own voice was lower and calmer than she thought it would be. She had just realized that her complicated emotions towards Kiritsugu was no longer her previous anger, but had to changed to some kind of pity.

That’s right; maybe he is a man that should be pitied.

Isn’t he himself that needed salvation, not this world?

“– Emiya Kiritsugu, I don’t know what kind of betrayal you were subjected to in the past and why you despaired. But that rage, that lament, are undoubtedly things that those who pursued justice possesses. Kiritsugu, in your youth you should have wanted to be ‘a hero of justice’. You should have believed in and wanted to become a hero who saves the world more than anyone else – isn’t that so?”

Until now, the only attitudes Kiritsugu had shown to Saber were complete ignorance and cold scorn. But now, Kiritsugu, having heard Saber’s quiet questioning – the eyes that he fixed on his Servant showed other emotions for the first time.

It was a rage seemingly close to boiling over.

Nope. Try again.

Saber got the last word and Kiritsugu was incredibly butthurt. She pitied the guy because she had him figured out.
Apr 27, 2012 8:17 PM

Mar 2009
MasterSpark11 said:

Nice catch.
Apr 29, 2012 3:28 AM

Apr 2010
Now i understand allot more about Sabar's behaviour in Fate/Stay Night.
Kiritsugu is very cruel when it comes to achieving his goals we heard about it last season and i expected it still that was pretty harsh.
Then again Archibald wasn't any better himself the way he took out the priest right after he got what he wanted from him.

And Kirei is showing the first signs of betrayal towards Tokiomi.
I wonder how he will react to the death of his father whether he will still be as emotionless as ever.
Apr 29, 2012 11:33 AM

Sep 2008
Uguu~
Poor Lancer.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 29, 2012 12:48 PM
Dec 2007
Aversa said:
Now i understand allot more about Sabar's behaviour in Fate/Stay Night.
Kiritsugu is very cruel when it comes to achieving his goals we heard about it last season and i expected it still that was pretty harsh.
Then again Archibald wasn't any better himself the way he took out the priest right after he got what he wanted from him.

And Kirei is showing the first signs of betrayal towards Tokiomi.
I wonder how he will react to the death of his father whether he will still be as emotionless as ever.
Well, honestly Magi don't really like The Church. The two institutions hate each other's guts and only use each other as they see fit and cooperate if they have no other choice. That's mostly because Church members are as fanatical about destroying the supernatural as the Magi are about reaching the Root of all knowledge and learned the True Magic schools. Archibald knew the judge wasn't impartial so he merely used him.

Apr 30, 2012 4:44 PM

Mar 2012
Another episode with a lot of character deaths,

As for Kayneth, good thing hat he died; pretty sure he would have done the same thing to Kuritsugu if he had the chance to.

Only poor Lancer, he deserved his honourable fight for the grail
May 1, 2012 9:01 AM

Apr 2008
I got the same feeling about that last interaction between Saber an Kiritsugu. He thought he bested her with his argument, but it only revealed to the perceptive Saber a brighter window in on the state of his heart (she was a king, and while idealistic, has to have some knowledge of how people's minds/emotions work to be as good a king as she was). When she not only did NOT respond with anger (something that Kiritsugu probably expected), but intsead with quiet understanding and pity, It caught him off guard and hit close enough to home to cut and enrage him, though he only showed it for that flash of a moment.

People who are on a crusade and consider themselves in the right and to heck with all the others usually don't take too kindly to having their weaknesses revealed or to being confronted to the possibility that they might be in the wrong. Also, he seems to be clinging to this because its the only thing he can tell himself to make it possible for him to continue in any way. If he saw as much of the dark side of the world as he seems to indicate, this may be his only way of holding onto the hope of something better at this point.
May 4, 2012 7:31 PM

Jan 2009
Shit ending for lancer, but good episode.
May 6, 2012 10:29 AM

Jul 2009
Lancer always gets the short end of the stick... At first I thought Kiritsugu was a boring character but now I'm actually interested in his backstory.
May 12, 2012 10:39 PM
Aug 2010
MEH....this anime is filled with nothing but Villains and Anti-heroes.

All of the ideology that goes on here is absolutely sickening and beyond retarded.

I love the fighting scenes and animation, but I'm not convinced this is a masterpiece anime the way so many are.
May 17, 2012 7:23 PM

Jul 2008
Amazing Kiritsugu! I'm impressed

May 23, 2012 11:39 PM

Jul 2011
Damn that was an incredible episode. Kiri's ideals and pragmatism displayed in this episode remind me very much of Archer's ideals in F/SN

May 26, 2012 5:41 PM

Nov 2011
Jesus Christ, just when you think the action was going to wind down after the second episode, and this was going to be an expository heavy episode, they ramp it up to a whole new level. Kiritsugu abusing the "fine print", Archibald killing the priest, and Servants and masters dying by the episode; just wow. The script continues to be awesome:
"Kill me....Please kill me"
"Sorry, the contract forbids me from doing so"

R.I.P. Lancer, Diarmuid Ua Duibhne
AzureBluesMay 26, 2012 6:24 PM
May 28, 2012 10:08 AM

Jun 2011
I loved the episode so much untill Lancer's death. Its easy to tell what his final one wish is; To die by the hands of an honorable opponent. I still realy love this show and how it gives many emotions and lessons that may not be understood by all. I'm able to accept all the deaths in the episode but I could feel the pain of shame, betrayal, and disgrace that Saber clearly endured at the death of Lancer.
Pages (13) « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 10 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fate/Zero 2nd Season Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - May 12, 2012

589 by frieren2024 »»
Apr 26, 4:02 AM

» What's next?

infinite_Shadows - Apr 10

13 by Ain2Zwei »»
Apr 15, 4:48 PM

Poll: » Fate/Zero 2nd Season Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 23, 2012

1325 by Joel77 »»
Mar 25, 11:30 PM

Poll: » Fate/Zero 2nd Season Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Jun 16, 2012

655 by Joel77 »»
Mar 25, 11:03 PM

Poll: » Fate/Zero 2nd Season Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - Jun 9, 2012

728 by damnit_tomioka »»
Mar 18, 2:06 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.