Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 10, 2012 2:05 AM
Jan 2008
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
gally_exeApr 9, 2016 6:45 AM
Mar 18, 2012 4:41 AM

Apr 2009
Huh, that's funny, because I'm a boring, lifeless, useless, hopeless human being that probably would have been better off born as a stupid, dumb-looking, pyramid-bird-caricature than the fully fleshed human being I am now. I have no ambitions, no guiding principles, and I only live my lonesome life in the lonesome world in a sea of shit, shit, and shit just waiting for the brooding days to pass by to reach my eventual death--or suicide as it looks like.

Maybe that's what it takes to appreciate a character such as Punpun. He's my soul mate other half, or better yet, my idol.
Dec 25, 2012 7:55 AM

Apr 2009
maarsaalis said:
Yep, I totally agree that it takes a looser to appreciate another looser. And you are a perfect example. But your whole post is talking about yourself and this is not a blog. So in the future please contribute more to the discussion about the chapter.

Well, it's been a while. I guess I was too emotional at the time. My bad.
Apr 14, 2013 2:53 AM

Sep 2011
I don't really like him either, I like the uncle better. Though it's pretty hard for me to relate personally to any of the characters in this manga the writer still does a good job of showing the messed up world that some kids grow up in. I don't think I've ever read another manga where I couldn't relate to any of the characters but his life and world is really different from mine.
I guess the Uncle and the little girl that Punpun used to like are my favoriite characters.

The mom being the one who sent the letters all that time was her trying to save Punpun's relationship with his father but his father now seems so out of it.
inzarathaApr 14, 2013 2:57 AM
Apr 14, 2013 6:58 PM

Nov 2012
Punpun is a great character, he is a truthful representation of the suffocating banality provided by modern society. His goals and wishes are all failures, because they do not transcend his limited world view.
Jul 23, 2013 3:16 PM
Oct 2010
I was pretty much on the verge of tears after seeing mama Pun Pun's confession to her son. :(
Jul 26, 2013 1:44 AM

Nov 2011
happypeople said:
Punpun is a great character, he is a truthful representation of the suffocating banality provided by modern society. His goals and wishes are all failures, because they do not transcend his limited world view.

I agree with this completely.
Oct 3, 2013 10:48 AM

Apr 2008
maarsaalis said:
And honestly there are two ways on taking Punpun's character. You either pity him or hate him.

I guess you're right. In the first 3-4 volumes I really felt sorry for him but as I'm reading on he's becoming more of a really irritating person. Tragic in a way and unhappy but because of his decisions (or lack of those) I can stand him less and less. I want to wish for some positive changes for him but looking at his family's history, I wonder...
失われた翼を探して
Dec 19, 2013 3:16 PM

Dec 2013
The bit with his mother's last words was a bit tear jerker. My eyes watered up a tinny bit but tried out fast. She was an interesting character though.
May 7, 2014 7:37 AM
Mar 2012
Mewfeuille said:
I was pretty much on the verge of tears after seeing mama Pun Pun's confession to her son. :(

I felt the same as Punpun , It was probably a bunch of lies due to the scare of death
Jul 23, 2014 7:35 PM

May 2014
So, Punpun's mom gets cancer and dies 2 years later. In the end, it turn out that Punpun still does not love her.
Aug 18, 2014 6:09 AM

Aug 2010
2 years later, and mom dies. Pretty sad. The mom had some nice development ^^

Punpun is still acting like an ass -.- Well that's how he is I guess.
Aug 26, 2014 11:25 AM
Nov 2011
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I cried so much!!! God why you're so cruel!! Some chapters ago I really started to like Punpun's mama, she was quite wise, very sincere, she tried to be better to Punpun, when I satrted manga I was thinking that she's a b*tch, but it turned out that she's not that bad, oncemore she's not really bad, it was that, she was lonely! I even feel sorry for that loneliness! So... I cried whe she's gone so much! Like it was my mama who's go to heaven! I hate you mangaka why you do that! And what's interesting in the end it was such a touching moment, when she speaks to Punpun, and touch his face, and he has tears in his eye. Do you think that words, that "to be honest... I really loved you..." was true? It was that she was speaking it or thinking? What was sad was that "at the very end, Punpun still could not love his mother". I was really wondering, if I'll be him, would I love my mom after that moment.

Aha some questions which ineterstyed me-
Who said that on this page- "even if I werent alive, you could live alone just fine." http://z.mfcdn.net/store/manga/3467/06-067.0/compressed/bgoodnight_punpun_v06_p203.jpg who was that and why said this to Punpun mama? Was that her mother?

Important question- What symbolize soap bubbles?

Who was those women from "come on, give it up for the ladies!" http://z.mfcdn.net/store/manga/3467/06-067.0/compressed/bgoodnight_punpun_v06_p206.jpg

dareck said:
maarsaalis said:
And honestly there are two ways on taking Punpun's character. You either pity him or hate him.

I guess you're right. In the first 3-4 volumes I really felt sorry for him but as I'm reading on he's becoming more of a really irritating person. Tragic in a way and unhappy but because of his decisions (or lack of those) I can stand him less and less. I want to wish for some positive changes for him but looking at his family's history, I wonder...
Well i stand on the side that tells, that it's 1/2 to 1/2 his decisions AND his childhood, his not to feel safe with that kind of family, that he grown up as someone, who can't tell what he really think (in contrast to his mother), who is scared of being bullying when he will be more confident (because his mother does not look to thruthfully love him)

Mizushirro said:
Mewfeuille said:

I felt the same as Punpun , It was probably a bunch of lies due to the scare of death
And I think, that maybe she learn to love him after some years and events? To proof my opinion I can take the example of letters from "father", she don't want Punpun hate his because he doesn't write to him. It was a love proof. In the end she care of him. I think if she loves him from the beginning a bit or for the ending, I stand behind this tat for the end but not for 100% sureness

Btw. pedit] I freeshly notice that- if Punpun doesn't love his mam at the end, then why he cried there:
http://z.mfcdn.net/store/manga/3467/06-067.0/compressed/bgoodnight_punpun_v06_p211.jpg

Btw. It was pity what children told about mom's chest, that was mean and sad for her
Kirin4Aug 26, 2014 1:44 PM
Jan 8, 2015 7:30 AM

Feb 2014
happypeople said:
QFT. I believe Punpun is SUPPOSED to anger the reader. It's so much more life-like having a character you try to understand, but trying to do so only annoys/irritates you. After a while you stop trying to understand them altogether and make judgments (Just as we as people typically do, and it's a hard habit to break) Personally, Punpun is still the most interesting/relatable to me. (not to say I don't relate to the others/dislike their development.) I can remember doing some really foolish things myself only to regret all of it later, and I'm positive I'm not the only one ;_;
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 26, 2015 3:23 PM

Apr 2013
I'm kinda confused of why people don't like him... I don't remember there being any other scene than the "rape" scene where you could have been angry at him...
Personally I really like Punpun so I don't really get where this hate is coming from...
Could someone explain why, you dislike Punpun cause I don't get why people don't relate with him and don't like him...

On to my opinion on the chapter, the mother's death was really sad and my eyes became a bit watery but nothing so far has made me as sad and nothing has made me cry as much as when his dad told him that he loves him and left...
I'm really interested in knowing what happened to his dad since I don't recall it being said yet.
Feb 26, 2015 4:48 PM

Aug 2014
IncendianFire said:
I'm kinda confused of why people don't like him... I don't remember there being any other scene than the "rape" scene where you could have been angry at him...
Personally I really like Punpun so I don't really get where this hate is coming from...
Could someone explain why, you dislike Punpun cause I don't get why people don't relate with him and don't like him...

Agree, no idea why anyone would hate such a relatable character. He's been through so much and his personality is understandable. It's just easy to be empathic towards his situation.
The kid has never felt truly loved by his family, he's been betrayed so many times(his dad for example) so it's obvious you would go about your daily life having all these existential doubts.

This chapter was very sad, many would say Asano is trying to make the reader hate Punpun for being "ungrateful", for not caring about his mom, for not loving her, but it's such a difficult situation he's faced with when the people close to him were the one's who didn't care about him(or at least he felt that way). It's all about his difficult upbringing, no father and loveless mother.
I'd say the mom was selfish. The story is about Punpun but it talks a little about the life choice doubts that Mrs Onodera is having towards the end. Her life flashbacks are a clear example to this, her extraordinary expectations explain why she always acted like that. She always loved his son, she was just very self-centered to put any kind of effort to close the gap in their relationship.
Mar 27, 2015 4:40 PM

Mar 2015
Stark700 said:
happypeople said:

I agree with this completely.

The mother got nicely developed and while I could understand her a bit better now,I still hated her.I don't feel anything for her dying,but rather for Punpun having to go through all this.
May 3, 2015 6:43 PM

Nov 2012
modusoperandi7 said:
IncendianFire said:

Agree, no idea why anyone would hate such a relatable character. He's been through so much and his personality is understandable. It's just easy to be empathic towards his situation.
The kid has never felt truly loved by his family, he's been betrayed so many times(his dad for example) so it's obvious you would go about your daily life having all these existential doubts.
+1

Even still it was rather harsh that Punpun still didn't love his mother even as she died.

Also seems his dad will be reappearing soon.
Jul 22, 2015 2:02 AM

Jan 2013
2 year time-skip to an incredibly sad scene. This manga doesn't mess around.
Jul 26, 2015 9:47 PM
Nov 2014
RediceRyan said:
2 year time-skip to an incredibly sad scene. This manga doesn't mess around.
Yeah... I need to take a break.
Feb 28, 2016 4:13 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
My guess was right, it's a time leap. Damn, that was sad with Punpun's mother dying. What was worse that Punpun still can't love his mom.

5/5
Jun 17, 2016 3:04 AM

Jan 2015
No wayyyyyy
For the first time, I've almost cried while reading a manga.

I hate every freaking character in this manga, but couldn't help feeling bad for Punpun's mom.

Didn't expect it
XenocrisiJun 19, 2016 6:22 AM
Jun 28, 2016 6:27 AM

Aug 2014
R.I.P Mama Punpun.
While I still can't say that I liked her, it's still sad that she never got to fix the relationship with her son :(

Fucked up as it is, I can sorta see where Punpun is coming from.
Jan 5, 2017 11:03 AM
May 2012
Mizushirro said:
Mewfeuille said:

Nah man, it's sincere.

IncendianFire said:

On to my opinion on the chapter, the mother's death was really sad and my eyes became a bit watery but nothing so far has made me as sad and nothing has made me cry as much as when his dad told him that he loves him and left...
I'm really interested in knowing what happened to his dad since I don't recall it being said yet.

I agree.
Aug 16, 2017 3:32 AM

Mar 2016
I knew it'd happen some time soon because she had a lot of chapters about her recently. I didn't like her, but I guess it's gonna be a shame to have her gone for the rest of the series.
Sep 27, 2017 3:54 AM

Oct 2014
lol help im crying
Dec 2, 2017 7:56 AM

Nov 2015
Man, it's sad af that Ms PP died before being able to patch her relationship with her son ;(((
✧༝┉˚*❋ ❋*˚┉༝✧

鼻をくすぐるGunpowder & Smoke
ジャララ飛び交うEmpty gun cartridges
紅いヒールに見惚れて うっかり風穴欲しいヤツは 挙手をしな

・゚✧*:・゚✧ 🍰 ଘ(੭*ˊᵕˋ)੭* ੈ♡‧₊˚

✧༝┉˚*❋ ❋*˚┉༝✧

Mar 28, 2019 12:25 AM
Mar 2018
necroing old thread. oh well haha

well. that was fucking sad. punpun mom gets a redemption arc but is killed off by cancer. cant help but feel pity for her since she really is trying her best to be better, especially after meeting harumi.

also, punpun you dumb idiot. this nigga doesnt even appreciate his mom's letter what a baka. fuck you punpun.
Jul 5, 2019 12:02 AM

Apr 2017
What a heartless Punpun. He doesn't deserve to be loved by his family when he couldn't even love them in return. Ms. Onodera's death was heartbreaking enough to let my eyes shed in tears.
JerryKen10Jul 5, 2019 12:05 AM
Oct 11, 2019 4:15 PM

May 2016
Punpun's mom had finally passed away from cancer and it was a very hard read for me as it was absolutely heartbreaking especially after the revelation that she was the one who went through all that effort to keep in touch with him as his father. They never got to reconcile but her final moments with him was as tragic as it would be for a normal family.

Papa just waltzing back into town after finding out about Mama's death makes me feel angry because there's a feeling that he's been waiting for that moment for years now.

Jun 28, 2020 12:30 AM

Mar 2020
she loved him after all.
“Life is a constant process of dying.”
Sep 3, 2020 2:19 PM

Jan 2013
noo u can't die. haha mama onodera broke. dark humor aside whata lame melodramatic chapter trying to manipulate ppl into feeling pity.
Sep 24, 2020 7:12 AM

Dec 2013
Well... did not expect the timeskip to start off like this. I'm kind of sad, even though she's been a horrible parent & person throughout most of her adult life, she still seemed redeemable and had good qualities to her.
Oct 10, 2020 6:31 AM

May 2020
Punpun mom is died due to cancer she have. Rip Punpun still could not love his mom. Sad chapter but seems in a rush.
Nov 28, 2020 3:30 PM

Jul 2020
Oml this hurt me. I was really starting to like the mom and this manga throws this at me like that. RIP her, had some nice development.
Feb 15, 2021 2:12 AM
Feb 2017
lmaoooooo rip BOZO
It's Aiko!!!!
Apr 12, 2021 6:31 AM

Aug 2018
Wow his mother actually died, this just feels so bad, because Punpun doesn't feel sadness and its all because his mother didn't care about him when he needed her the most.

It's nice to see that his uncle is back hopefully he can help Punpun get his life back on track this time
Apr 18, 2021 5:39 AM

Apr 2017
Kirin4 said:
1. Who said that on this page- "even if I werent alive, you could live alone just fine." http://z.mfcdn.net/store/manga/3467/06-067.0/compressed/bgoodnight_punpun_v06_p203.jpg who was that and why said this to Punpun mama? Was that her mother?
2. Important question- What symbolize soap bubbles?
3. Who was those women from "come on, give it up for the ladies!"

1. Looks like a man. Maybe a past lover?
2. They could mean a lot of things. Seeking comfort in something childish, seeking a little fragment of beauty among the gloom, or a visual allegory for the cancer spreading more and more. Typically, they could mean beauty that's fleeting, that only lasts a moment (something Punpun's mother had been struggling with, commenting more and more often on her age).
3. Women Punpun's mother used to party with. Right after that, she comments that Punpun ruined her life, so the dance memory presumably takes place a few years after she had him.
----------------

Finally, a chapter where the story was allowed to breathe, and we weren't beaten over the head with walls of text instead of being shown characters emoting. If only more of the manga were done like this...
Jun 5, 2021 7:19 AM
Nov 2020
Pumpum already becomes a cold harted person. He decided not to love on others. It is understandable he still don't love his mom till the end. Cause he still doesn't understand his mother after all.
But his mother's dead made me feel sad. She was a lonely failure as human. Her ending filled with regrets and it's too late for her to fix everything back. That is the most realistic part in here. Nothing will always end as you expected even if you desperately want to change back. This is the reality and we get to live with that somehow.
Jul 20, 2021 8:02 PM
Jan 2021
Wow, that was the most expected but unexpected thing I’ve read in this manga thus far. I didn’t really get mad at PunPun not being truly sad at her death. We gotta understand Punpun has basically been abused throughout his childhood mentally, it’s hard to recover from that. Punpun has made some really annoying decisions for me that I can’t understand throughout the story, such as becoming an exhibitionist, and not going with Aiko after Yaguchi lost, but this was actually understandable. Sucks that she actually cared more about him than he let on but she was too broken to convey that. After all hurt people hurt people.

It might not get touched on but I want Asano to explore the Aunt who had sex with Punpun and his relationship a bit more, and him and his uncle like after all that happened it needs to be touched on at least a little.
Nov 30, 2021 9:30 AM

Jan 2021
Oh well. RIP Punyama.
Jan 16, 2022 12:21 AM

Feb 2021
not a fan of how they're randomly doing time skips and give us info before it's foreshadowed. anyway i hate how punpun never got proper closure with his mom, too sad
Mar 6, 2022 4:01 PM

Jun 2014
Fuck this manga. Fuck.
Mar 22, 2022 6:39 AM
Aug 2021
Goodnight punpun.

The first half of the chapter is phenomenal. I could only imagine what would it look like in an anime form.
Jul 30, 2022 9:45 AM

Sep 2012
In the end Punpun still couldn't love her mother, but he did tear up when she said she loved him so he does feel something towards her at the very least.
Aug 25, 2022 11:18 AM
Aug 2020
i'm not crying,,,, you are ;-;

Oct 21, 2022 12:20 AM
Oct 2022
synonyms for heartbreaking: agonizing, tormenting, suffering, woeful, torture
Nov 12, 2022 12:36 PM

Dec 2020
this chapter legit made me sobbed like hell, even though there wasnt much of a story for punpuns mom, she always was fighting with a tought heart at the end messed her up to the point of dying alone without not even her son loving her. The "tough heart" is trauma. Rip ms.onodera, you shall be forever remembered <3
all friend requests are accepted, hopefully we can be friends! Also for my proper intro: click here

Dec 28, 2022 8:05 PM
Oct 2022
:/
We knew it was coming, but holy hot damn, that was sad.
Poor Punpun is so emotionally stunted that he doesn't know how to react 
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Oyasumi Punpun Chapter 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Jul 12, 2013

25 by tcandy19 »»
Yesterday, 7:22 PM

Poll: » Oyasumi Punpun Chapter 8 Discussion

Stark700 - Jul 12, 2013

29 by tcandy19 »»
Yesterday, 12:55 PM

Poll: » Oyasumi Punpun Chapter 78 Discussion

Stark700 - Jul 28, 2013

20 by Ari_The_Sar »»
Yesterday, 11:55 AM

Poll: » Oyasumi Punpun Chapter 51 Discussion

Stark700 - Jul 21, 2013

17 by dusty22 »»
Apr 24, 3:34 PM

Poll: » Oyasumi Punpun Chapter 50 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

skapuppet - Oct 18, 2009

112 by dusty22 »»
Apr 24, 3:25 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.