Forum Settings
Forums

Have you ever mistook the gender of someone based on their avatar?

New
Have you ever mistook the gender of someone based on their avatar?
OH HECK YES.
45.7%
Usually
17.1%
Not often at all...
19.0%
I never really cared...
18.1%
105 votes
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Aug 25, 2007 5:14 AM

Aug 2006
_Sakura_ said:
And me.....if you didn't already know my gender, look @ my avatar/username (and not my profile) and tell me if I'm a guy or a girl :D

Definitely a girl!!! I have the IRL pics to prove it... you look nice in stilettos and fish nets.

**runs and hides**
Aug 25, 2007 6:53 AM

Mar 2005
Krelian said:
Hah! It's contagious, methinks. I didn't watch any frou-frou girly shows until I'd spent a fair bit of time here on the forums. Now I quite like them - the good ones, at least.

frou-frou girly shows eh? I'm curious to know which ones they are :)
Aug 25, 2007 7:16 AM

Jun 2007
Look look ima panda!!!!!

Well i usually visit peoples profile before determining the gender - or look at their nick. But yeah sometimes I'm wrong.
CheesebaronAug 25, 2007 10:19 AM
Aug 25, 2007 8:15 AM

Mar 2007
/me throws Krelian and Chelle in front of fast-moving trains

NOW WHO'S A GIRL, BITCHES?? XD

**goes back to struggling with his 10 pound barbells**
You've come a long way, baby.
Aug 25, 2007 9:48 AM

Jun 2007
It happens to me all the time. Unless someone's nickname is "Anna" or "Paul", I always make the wrong guess.
Aug 25, 2007 11:25 AM

Aug 2007
I've had that sometimes, most of the time the person had a nondescript nickname too, so I couldn't guess really....and I guessed wrong a lot of times :D
Aug 25, 2007 1:45 PM

Oct 2006
kei-clone said:
Krelian said:
Hah! It's contagious, methinks. I didn't watch any frou-frou girly shows until I'd spent a fair bit of time here on the forums. Now I quite like them - the good ones, at least.

frou-frou girly shows eh? I'm curious to know which ones they are :)

For me, that would include pretty much everything under the heading of romance, drama, slice of life and (obviously) shoujo. I would've even considered Kanon a frou-frou girly show a year ago - now it's one of my favorites. Same with Nana.

_Sakura_ said:
/me throws Krelian and Chelle in front of fast-moving trains

NOW WHO'S A GIRL, BITCHES?? XD

**goes back to struggling with his 10 pound barbells**

*hates it when that happens* T_T
Aug 25, 2007 2:05 PM

Jul 2007
To me everyone is gender neutral leading toward male until something is mentioned.

Sam is my sweet peach
Aug 25, 2007 3:23 PM

Jul 2006
Darkanger said:
I get mistaken for a guy here a lot b/c all my anime interests are male so I like male avatars(and my SN doesn't give away a thing). There are so many moe/lolita lovers here that I get overwhelmed. But like manateegirl said, most forums (at least that I've been in) seem to be mostly male so despite the amount of girly avatars, I probably still assume male. Plus I have been paying attention to what others are watching and I have never seen so many guys who really watch frou-frou girly shows.

Haha, yea, I know. At my old forum all the guys would make fun of me for liking the shojou animes, and here the guys like them too! lol, I wonder why that is?
Aug 26, 2007 4:03 AM
Apr 2007
manateegirl said:
Haha, yea, I know. At my old forum all the guys would make fun of me for liking the shojou animes, and here the guys like them too! lol, I wonder why that is?

cause the guys here are too awesome to ignore the brilliance of certain shoujo series like lovely complex, fruits basket, or ouran just to name a few...saying that you didn't watch an anime because it's "too shoujo" seems like a pretty lame excuse to me...

a lot of people think that i'm a girl before visiting my profile...even when i had my profile pic up (the old one when i had long hair) a certain member here at MAL still questioned my gender (i would make a good trap i suppose, xD)...or when i was on irc and cyruz said something like "you want to jump in the shower with me?" as a joke and i said "i think i'll pass on that offer" then another person said "you realize that pillows is a guy, right?" to which cyruz responded "pillows is a guy?"...

it's times like these that make me want to post comments like "i love boobs" or "that girl is da hawtness" just to give the impression that i'm a guy...good thing i don't have a female for an avatar or things would be worse...i wonder what gender people think when they see a couple of pillows though...
Aug 26, 2007 4:10 AM

Nov 2004
Pillows are feminine! You are a girl in disguise! I know it!
Aug 26, 2007 4:25 AM
Apr 2007
Crystal said:

SHHHH!!! that's supposed to be our secret...xD...

but you know, now that i think about it, pillows are feminine...i keep thinking of that cliche girls sleepover scene in movies where they have that playful pillow fight in their underwear...*sighs*...if only real life were like the movies... :(
Aug 26, 2007 5:11 AM

Jan 2007
the_pillows said:
it's times like these that make me want to post comments like "i love boobs" or "that girl is da hawtness" just to give the impression that i'm a guy...

Awww...best line ever!
Aug 26, 2007 5:15 AM

Aug 2006
I would hope with this nick... there wouldn't be any confusion, even though I do usually tend to put men in my avatars...
Aug 26, 2007 8:48 AM

Mar 2005
I guess it would be pretty hard to believe my nick is owned by a female...although I guess the avvys and sigs don't help...heh
Aug 26, 2007 9:29 AM

May 2007
I try not to make assumptions until I've checked out the person's profile >___>

the_pillows said:
Crystal said:

SHHHH!!! that's supposed to be our secret...xD...

but you know, now that i think about it, pillows are feminine...i keep thinking of that cliche girls sleepover scene in movies where they have that playful pillow fight in their underwear...*sighs*...if only real life were like the movies... :(

I always thought you were a guy. :B

Chelle said:
_Sakura_ said:
And me.....if you didn't already know my gender, look @ my avatar/username (and not my profile) and tell me if I'm a guy or a girl :D

Definitely a girl!!! I have the IRL pics to prove it... you look nice in stilettos and fish nets.

**runs and hides**

ROFL. Wait. Give me five minutes!
Aug 26, 2007 9:47 AM

May 2007
BAM!~

-removed for the sake of Sakura's sanity.
ScrumYummyAug 26, 2007 2:46 PM
Aug 26, 2007 10:29 AM

Aug 2007
Haha... now that looks very disturbing

*bludgeons head against the table hoping to erase the image from his mind*

Aug 26, 2007 11:17 AM

Mar 2007
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

T_T T_T T_T

Why has thou forsaken me, Scrum????? WHYYYYYYY?????????

Please take that down before Chelle and/or Hounddog see it.........PLEASE......I'll have to get a new identity......start over......not again....I hoped last time would be it....

*cries in a corner*
You've come a long way, baby.
Aug 26, 2007 11:46 AM

Jan 2007
WTF SCRUM? D:
;-;

Aug 26, 2007 12:10 PM

Jun 2007
I laughed at that image, kekekekkee... Nice one Scrummy :D
Aug 26, 2007 2:48 PM

May 2007
XD sorry. I took it down. XDDDDD
Aug 26, 2007 2:50 PM

Jul 2006
o_o
After seeing that......I believe I'm scarred for life >_<
lol, poor Sakura
Aug 26, 2007 3:24 PM

Aug 2007
I just automatically assume everyone is a dude. Even if they are a girl who cares?
Aug 26, 2007 4:26 PM

Jul 2006
CelticWolf said:
I just automatically assume everyone is a dude. Even if they are a girl who cares?

I care.......T_T
lol, I understand you're point though =P
Aug 26, 2007 4:41 PM

Feb 2007
ZoiQ said:
On the interet I am a 40 year old perverted man who is looking for teenage girls like you to hit on.

Proof: lolis ftw~

me too dude... me too

lolis ftw~

I guess Crystal was right :P
Aug 26, 2007 4:47 PM

Aug 2007
I never have something like that. I always ask it. Even though it's rude & awkward, i still ask it :D
Aug 26, 2007 4:49 PM

May 2007
selective_yellow said:
ZoiQ said:
On the interet I am a 40 year old perverted man who is looking for teenage girls like you to hit on.

Proof: lolis ftw~

me too dude... me too

lolis ftw~

I guess Crystal was right :P

Seems like I am not alone in this world who shares the same feelings. Also good luck to you, man.

Hard world this is.
Aug 26, 2007 6:54 PM

Aug 2006
_Sakura_ said:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

T_T T_T T_T

Why has thou forsaken me, Scrum????? WHYYYYYYY?????????

Please take that down before Chelle and/or Hounddog see it.........PLEASE......I'll have to get a new identity......start over......not again....I hoped last time would be it....

*cries in a corner*

DAMMIT!!! I missed it!!! DAMMIT!!! Jusst because I was determined to finish Elfen Lied tonight (which I did.) DAMMIT!!!

So... ummm... Scrummy... how much would it be worth to you for copies / negatives of referenced photo shop (I'm assuming it was one of your brilliant shop jobs?)

DAMMIT T_T DAMMIT T_T DAMMIT T_T I'm gonna be regretting this for a long, long time... T_T
Aug 26, 2007 7:09 PM

Jan 2007
omg I miss all the fun. :(

Sounds it was pretty terrifying, though...quite a reaction...
Aug 26, 2007 7:38 PM

Feb 2007
Yeah Scrumy.. I wanna see this picture too..

pm me ^_-
Aug 27, 2007 1:16 PM

May 2007
Now if there is a girl with the name SexyTommy_88, I wouldn't know what to do.
Aug 27, 2007 1:25 PM

Jul 2007
Not really.. I've learned not to assume gender based on avatar... Because I find that lots of guys have cute girl avatars and other things you would presume a girl would have. XD I just go over to the profile if I'm interested in the person, otherwise I don't really make a presumption...
Aug 27, 2007 1:58 PM

Feb 2007
^ I thought you were a guy >____>

w00t.. I think Lucky Star pic=guy for some reason in my mind.
Aug 27, 2007 2:01 PM

Aug 2007
Well I've only been on this awesome site since yesterday, so it hasn't happenend here yet, but it has happenend on other forums! Sometimes, I even start to think that people look like their avatars

O_o
Aug 27, 2007 2:09 PM

Jul 2007
selective_yellow said:

Lol exactly! You can't assume, you always end up wrong. Especially on a forum like this, where people have really varied taste... I dunno. XD If you get a stereotype in your head (like Lucky Star avatar = male) then an exception always comes along to thwart you.
Aug 27, 2007 2:13 PM

Aug 2007
On this fourm I have a set of dice I roll to find out.
Aug 27, 2007 2:18 PM

Feb 2007
^ haha @ CelticWolf

url_elf said:
selective_yellow said:

Lol exactly! You can't assume, you always end up wrong. Especially on a forum like this, where people have really varied taste... I dunno. XD If you get a stereotype in your head (like Lucky Star avatar = male) then an exception always comes along to thwart you.

Thwarted again by the Lucky Star-ness!!

/me melts
Aug 27, 2007 2:24 PM

Jul 2007
selective_yellow said:
^ haha @ CelticWolf

url_elf said:
selective_yellow said:

Thwarted again by the Lucky Star-ness!!

/me melts

*Makes selective_yellow demi glace*
Aug 27, 2007 10:51 PM

Aug 2007
oh yes..when you see excessivly flowery or sparkly avatars, you instantly think that theyre girls *ashamed*

i guess its just normal ^ ^
Aug 28, 2007 3:19 PM

Aug 2007
Loads Of Times! ><
♪♫.. You're just a lost boy, with your head up in the clouds.
You're just a lost boy, never keep your feet on the ground.
You're always gonna fly away, just because you know you can.
You're never gonna learn there's no such place as Neverland.
You don't understand, you'll never grow up.
You're never gonna be a man, Peter Pan ♥ ..♫♪
Aug 28, 2007 7:40 PM

Aug 2007
The REALLY funny thing is I have it happen to me WAY more than I confuse other people for being the wrong gender. The even better thing is I always use the username Ayase Yue and she is a female and I generally use her picture when I have an icon... and I still get mistaken for a guy... maybe because I am so cerebral and I like to crush peoples poorly based arguments or something.

Even better was being mistaken for a guy on RolePlay Online when I was role playing girls and my screen name was 'meowmeowkitty'... how can ANYONE think that is a guy?! I guess you don't see screen names in the role plays since you get a character's name but still... sheesh.
Aug 28, 2007 10:45 PM

Aug 2007
Yup. I do this all the time. That's why I sleep with traps so much actually... o.o

Everyone has an otaku on the inside; resistance is futile.
Aug 29, 2007 8:42 AM

May 2007
I got rejected by the 30+ MAL members club! Even though I am 40 yo.

Discriminating is bad! How childish behaviour! Unacceptable! Unforgivable!
:<
Aug 29, 2007 9:04 AM

Aug 2007
At first I did but after looking at a few dozen profiles I just got used to it. Anyways, as for myself, must of my favorite animes characters are females so when I picked my avatar I was just looking 4 my favorite characters. Also, I have seen plenty of female accounts using male pictures in there avatar.
Aug 31, 2007 5:58 AM

Aug 2007
Personally I like having a gender-neutral name, gender shouldn't matter as much as it seems to =/ I use female avatars because the thing I'm into is girls with guns. There you go.

I prefer to make no assumptions based on avatar or name but try to work people out by what they say. If someone says something especially interesting I'll probably have a look at their profile/list to find out a bit more about them and I'll find out what gender they are by doing that. However I don't really care what gender people are, just so long as they're interesting. I'm not here to pick up women, after all.

I'm astounded no-one's trotted this out yet:
"The internet, where men are men, women are men, and children are FBI agents."
Aug 31, 2007 11:33 AM

May 2007
Hey a guy could like some badass guy or badass girl, it doesn't even matter :<

And even girls can have weird nicknames o:
Aug 31, 2007 12:45 PM

Mar 2005
YourMessageHere said:
I'm astounded no-one's trotted this out yet:
"The internet, where men are men, women are men, and children are FBI agents."

lol I've actually said that quite a bit. not in this thread though.
Apr 28, 2008 3:19 AM

Mar 2008
not to have a go at anyone, but

I thought cyruz's gender when i first came on MAL because of the avatar =.=
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.