Forum Settings
Forums
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Mar 6, 2012 6:08 AM

Apr 2011
I have one question. The 11th book of the light novel series has been The Astonishment of Haruhi Suzumiya (Second Half) and it was released somewhere in 2011 in Japan.
I looked that up on this wikipedia article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Haruhi_Suzumiya_light_novels) and it looks like that is the final book in the series.
My question now is: has there ever been a statement that this will be the last installment or has a next volume just not been announced yet? I don't know what happens in the book because I have to wait for the oficcial english traslation that will probablay releasen in the beginning of 2014 (omg...).
Thank you very much in advance for your answers!
Mar 7, 2012 7:00 AM

Dec 2011
To answer the question in the title - no, the series hasn't ended.

And I dont mind about it not coming out for a few years yet. It's actually quite a short wait between each one as book series go. Plus them releasing publishing dates means that hopefully they won't drop the series, which is what has happened with just about every other light novel series.
kuuderes_shadowMar 7, 2012 7:06 AM
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Mar 7, 2012 10:16 AM

Apr 2011
Thank you for the answer.
But how do you actually know that it hasn't ended? :-D
I don't mind wating one years or two, but the problem is that it takes so damn long until the translation will be release...
I know that is just speculation, but when do you personally think that a 12th book will be announced?
Mar 7, 2012 1:34 PM

Dec 2011
Tanigawa has spoken of the next book in interviews, and although he hasn't given any actual details about it yet, it's quite obvious from what he said that there are plans for more books. No idea when the next one's coming out though. I don't think there is an official date, and from what I can tell he hadn't started writing it when the last ones came out.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Mar 7, 2012 2:07 PM

Apr 2011
Okay, but yeah it seems to be pretty clear.
Hmm I just hope that they really gonna continue traslating it!
But if they started translating it (they even announced the relase for books 7-11 already) it's pretty sure the next one's will be localised, I hope?!
Please speak one last time of your experience! It's highly appreciated! I just don't wanna wait so many years in hope for nothing, if you know what I mean.
Mar 8, 2012 12:55 AM

Dec 2011
Anything that has a date to it should be localised, unless something drastic happens, like the publishers going bust or something (which is very unlikely) or the series' popularity suddenly collapses. Intrigues and indignation are definately coming and are available to preorder.

As far as I know the Haruhi books sell reasonably well so there shouldn't be too much risk of them stopping, and the release date of the first half of astonishment was only announced fairly recently so there's no sign of the publisher giving up on it at the moment. Also, following the rough pattern of release dates in the past, there's no reason to have expected an announcement of the second half yet either, so the lack of date for that isn't a problem.
Mar 8, 2012 4:01 AM

Apr 2011
Thank you very, very much.
You have given me some hope :-)
The last thing I would ask for is the following: You said that it's possible to preorder...where exactly? :-D
Mar 8, 2012 4:53 AM

Dec 2011
for the UK, both amazon and waterstones have them available for preorder. I would assume that most places that stock the series and have preorder options would have them listed by now.
Mar 8, 2012 5:40 AM

Apr 2011
Thank you, that would be all I wanted to know then.
I just pre ordered it via Amazon UK, even though I'm here in Germany, but it won't be released here so I think it's the fastest way to order via the UK.
Nov 26, 2012 5:39 AM

Apr 2011
@KobaKoba
What the f*** is your problem dude???
Feb 5, 2013 6:51 PM

Jan 2010
I'm probably late but you can preorder them from Amazon Germany. Shipping will be much cheaper for you.
Jan 13, 2014 8:13 AM

Apr 2011
Well thanks, and yes, too late XD
By the way, now that all the novels have been translated I am really wondering again...will there be more? There hasn't been a new one in Japan since May 2011...have there been any news about the author about this?
Jan 16, 2014 8:19 AM
Jan 2014
In the interview of 2011, Tanigawa said that he was working on a new book. If we consider that the last his novels came out in spring or summer, so the new novel will be released in spring or summer of 2014, or spring-summer 2015.
Jan 21, 2014 12:16 PM

Apr 2011
I hope this might be true.
Come to think of it, this might even be a reason for a new Anime of Haruhi! After all, a big reason why Anime is being made is a promotion for a new item related to the item (novel, game etc).
I still have hope!
Jun 5, 2014 12:52 PM

Apr 2014
I'm a little late, but I read the Surprise of Haruhi Suzumiya back in January and it said "final chapter."
And he said he's making a new book...why does it say that, then?
Jul 6, 2014 12:19 AM
Jul 2018
houkago_teatime said:
I'm a little late, but I read the Surprise of Haruhi Suzumiya back in January and it said "final chapter."
And he said he's making a new book...why does it say that, then?

I haven't read it yet, but did it wrap things up, or at least seem like it was a finale? If not, then it's probably just a title the author decided to put there. Almost all sources I've seen state the series isn't over. Rather, they've stated it's on hiatus. Does anyone know why? Hopefully we get some more material soon.
removed-userJul 6, 2014 12:24 AM
Aug 7, 2014 11:55 AM

Apr 2013
because that's the last "chapter" of the arc?
Anyway, nothing is wrapped up in the 11th volume besides the arc plot. And tanigawa doesn't say anything in the postface afterward about it being the last volume (which is always said otherwise, except for series dropped by the editor without warning... But that's because they don't sell. Haruhi doesn't have that problem at all, quite the contrary)
Aug 17, 2014 3:32 PM
Apr 2012
While I'm not sure how credible this claim is, but I'd still like to say it.

On his Wikipedia page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nagaru_Tanigawa), both Haruhi and his Gakkō o Deyō! (Let's Leave School) are listed as "On Hiatus". This is just my opinion, but if an author can have two or more series on hiatus, there's a good chance they'll finish those series or start something new. I really don't think there is any possibility of him quitting. As for the state of the Haruhi ending, I think it was labelled as a final chapter because it was the end of the three book arc, not the finale of the series. And due to the fact that the events of those three books were foreshadowed as early as volume five (Snowy Mountain Syndrome), I think if he adds any more villains, he'll need to plan at least three or more volumes into the series future.

So considering all that, I'm willing to wait for future novels as long as it takes. He has a lot to live up to. Let's give him space.
Jun 7, 2015 9:30 AM
Jun 2015
June 2015 still no news for volume 12 ._.
Quit Working Too Hard, Enjoy Reaching Your Goals
Jun 27, 2015 8:41 AM
Apr 2015
Wooow I've been looking for information all this day but I couldn't find anything about the 12th novel. And it's 4 years since the last. I hope we'll have news about Haruhi this year.
Aug 17, 2015 1:51 PM

Aug 2010
I still have high hopes on this. I can still see he will finish the series one day. :)

For now, I'll try reading the Light Novels from the beginning.
Aug 19, 2015 4:34 PM

Apr 2015
He seems to only be working on Haruhi-chan and Yuki-chan at the moment.
Aug 23, 2015 1:10 AM

Feb 2009
What? Last time I checked the 10th volume should have been the last one. Wow, I'm upset it's still not finished...

Oct 14, 2015 6:01 PM
Mar 2014
I'll loose all hope if 2016 passes with no new light novel or season, but for now, I'm still holding onto it!
Apr 15, 2016 10:37 PM
Jul 2013
Its April 2016,there is still no news on a new Haruhi Suzumiya light novel, theres little hope now since it has been 5 years already.
Apr 16, 2016 1:41 AM

May 2015
the author is just a lazy bum and we all want him to get off his ass
Freddy Nicholas said:
have control, be yourself, god is dead
Apr 17, 2016 2:29 AM

Apr 2011
Lol okay^^
Maybe he hates money?
Apr 17, 2016 3:44 AM

Apr 2015
i can still wait for another decade
internet is a cruel mistress
May 7, 2016 8:31 AM

Apr 2014
This thread escalated quickly.

Anyway, he really does need to hurry up, and write the next novel. I mean, five years, and the only real thing that got wrapped up, was the story arc. That's it. We're still needing a few answers, and those 11 books didn't cut it.
"I have to work harder than anyone else to make it! I'll never catch up otherwise...! I want to be like you...! Like you. The strongest hero.""
May 28, 2016 4:16 AM

May 2014
It has been so long already. I still remember times when last vol came out...
This was one of the series that I truly wanted to complete. There are still so many questions remaining...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 18, 2016 3:58 PM
Jun 2016
I think there is a big issue that needs to be raised (and explained): is Tanigawa doing anything right now? I know his name appears on two manga series - The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi-chan (last volume March 2015) and The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan (last volume October 2015) - but does he really put any work into it? Both are said to be written and illustrated by Puyo. Maybe Tanigawa's done with writing? Are there any signs of his existence?

It makes me really sad that he's had an idea of what to write about in the next installment, but nothing has been published for 5 years now. Also, I've read Tanigawa's Amnesia Labirynth as I thought it was a complete 2-volume story... It turned out that it was abandoned after the second volume and a lot wasn't explained (although you could somewhat see where it was going). Maybe this guy is like that, can't finish what he started.
Nov 30, 2016 9:10 PM

Jul 2013
Nearly the end of 2016 and still no news. Going on 6 years. :p

I think we need to look at it this way. Great writers are often quirky. Some are ridiculous perfectionists. They won't publish something until they're truly satisfied.

Look at the next novel as the last in the series. Think of it from his perspective. This series has been his greatest work. Even if he doesn't necessarily care what the fans think, HE has to be satisfied with it. HE has to conclude it in a way he finds not only acceptable, but also profound. He probably wants to cap his masterpiece series with the greatest masterpiece in his lifetime. He won't settle for some lame ending. He won't give in to the pressure of the fans and "just write it". He needs to do it this way for him. So maybe, he just hasn't figured out the right way to end it yet.

You know how there are some games where you end up having to wait a really long time for the sequel to? This is like that. Valve has done it twice. Half-Life 2 took forever to come out (Half-Life came out in 1998 and the sequel came in 2004). And now we're still waiting for either Half-Life 2 episode 3 or Half-Life 3. Episode 2 came out in 2007. So we're at over 9 years now, but we know the next one will come out. And these have all been great games because Valve took its time with them. Then we have an example like Duke Nukem Forever, which was widely panned. It took forever to make, going from studio to studio, before finally coming out in a version that might has well be Halo with Master Chief wearing a Duke Nukem mask. And then on the other hand, opposing that, we have a very similar shooter's latest installment Doom (4) that went through development hell and came out better for it, keeping the old Doom formula and being widely praised.

Our boy Tanigawa-sama likely just doesn't want the last novel to be a piece of crap, so much so that he's writing it and rewriting it over and over until he gets it perfect. I could be wrong, but this is my theory on what's really going on. We've already waited for it this long. I'm betting it will be worth the wait when it finally does come out. Also, if it does well enough, we'll proooobably get a Haruhi season 3, considering anime creation goes hand in hand with book sales.
Omne Solum Forti Patria
Mar 18, 2017 8:49 PM

Nov 2014
Dude above me explained things very well.Though im still thirsty for more haruhi anime.
Where Words Fail, Music Speaks.

-Han Christian Anderson
Apr 2, 2017 4:04 PM
Jun 2016
I also like the way Hraktuus presents things, especially the author's satisfaction with his own work, which is substantial. I'd like to comment on something else, though.

When it comes to games, there are usually some official statements, information enclosed in interviews or possibly leaks that tell us about the state a particular project is in. I'll provide my own example here: Syberia which came out in 2002. Syberia 2 followed in 2004. Then, we've got a huge gap and Syberia 3 comes out this month, so 13 years after Syberia 2. However, information about Syberia 3 being developed has been around since 2009 and since that moment some bits of information about the project have come to light almost every year till today.

That is exactly what I want and what I need when it comes to the Haruhi series - a sign that something is going on behind the scenes (or wherever). But perhaps it doesn't work like that in the case of books and other printed publications, I don't really know. Anyway, the info we get nowadays when it comes to the Haruhi series usually deals with anime rebroadcasts and nothing more. Another problem (at least for me) is that information about the series or the author would arrive in Japanese and I don't really know the language. For example, there is this Twitter status by Puyo from 27.06.2016 (https://twitter.com/puyotopia/status/747674106955448320) and I can't be sure whether it tells us that Tanigawa himself has actually done something / made a decision on something regarding the Yuki series being concluded or not.

I can keep on waiting, the conclusion of the Haruhi series isn't a matter of life and death, after all. There are other things to do, fortunately.

Oh, by the way. We can count the years since the release of an artbook by Noizi Ito on 25.04.2013, where a short story by Tanigawa titled Random Numbers was included. Also, the final volume of The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan was released in February, together with yet another volume of The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi-chan. The latter still has its chapters released in some magazine on a monthly basis.

Additional trivia. In the Classic Literature Club novel series, the fifth volume came out on 25.06.2010 and the sixth volume was published on 30.11.2016. The sixth volume took 6 years and 5 months to come out.
activeplayerApr 13, 2017 7:25 AM
Jul 27, 2017 10:43 AM
Sep 2016
sign*....it's approaching the 8th year since the last publish. I heard Tanigawa is addicting to the Mahjong everyday lol...
sign*...wonder if Kyo ani could animate dissociation and surprise
Jul 27, 2017 10:49 AM
Sep 2016
I lost long ago all my hopes to read more of haruhi. Tha saddest thing is that the Nagato spin off had a proper conclusion and the main series will never reach one.
Nov 2, 2017 2:49 PM

Mar 2014
Its game over guys....GIVE UP!

Its like waiting for High school of the dead ending to come...
"You can't spell slaughter without laughter".
Mar 2, 2018 11:46 AM

Sep 2014
At this rate I will die of old age before this series gets finished.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.

More topics from this board

» New Haruhi novel announced

Pitto_ - Sep 24, 2023

16 by infamousHeroic »»
May 3, 9:51 AM

» Intuition Thoughts/Opinions

Sosbrigade_123 - Jun 24, 2021

6 by anizawa89 »»
Jan 21, 11:25 AM

» Can I mark this series complete after Intuition?

ProsjektAero - Jun 2, 2023

5 by abystoma2 »»
Sep 2, 2023 11:51 AM

Poll: » Best light novel in the series?

EnduringInsanity - Apr 24, 2013

11 by removed-user »»
Mar 14, 2023 5:04 PM

Poll: » Suzumiya Haruhi Series Chapter 41 Discussion

Phaetons_Folly - Feb 20, 2023

1 by AnimeIsWrong »»
Feb 25, 2023 11:40 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.