Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
GTO: Great Teacher Onizuka
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Mar 8, 2010 2:27 PM

Aug 2009
idk why people caring so much about Onizuka and his behaviours' reasons.
The point is actually...
In high school would you like him to be your teacher?
imo "heell yeees!"
Is he really the best (possible) teacher?
imo "heell yeees!"
then so be it! GTO is a remarkable serie in all qualities. (remember it was 2000, not 2010)

im gonna check out the manga too, and you should do too, stop reading my scraps here ok im off

cheers
Anime List: http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Rodreth
Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/rodreth/profile
Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/user/Rodreth/
Night is the darkest just before the dawn.

Mar 30, 2010 5:18 PM

Nov 2007
jaykaylol said:
He didn't really have to run away and go teach somewhere else because the truth was already revealed and he could have gone back to teaching at the school when things smoothed out. He always voiced that he would do anything for his students and be there for them but the ending is completely opposite, he doesn't even keep in contact with them it seems.

This. The ending was very rushed, but worse than that, it was nonsensical. There was no reason for him to leave, and the way they try to shove it down your throat in the last 60 seconds of the episode was a stupid choice.

The truth came out, all they had to do was show him being released from custody with everyone smiling or something and there you go, good ending. They could have showed random stuff that happened afterwards during the credits, like a scene of him putting his arm around Fuyutsuki, a scene of Aizawa laughing at something he says, then a group scene of everyone goofing off with the scene suddenly freezing, zooming out to show it's a snapshot, and then fading out.

It would have been so easy to give such an anime a decent ending, yet it seems they went out of their way to leave a bad taste in your mouth at the very end.

I give the anime up until the last minute a 10/10, and the final 60 seconds a 1/10.

Taken as a whole, I'd give it an 8/10.
Azrael_XJan 14, 2014 10:47 AM
Apr 4, 2010 2:03 AM

Apr 2009
The California ending was randomly funny and nonsensical. 10/10 for me. GTO sequel pls.
Apr 6, 2010 11:25 AM

Nov 2007
madaodono said:
The California ending was randomly funny and nonsensical. 10/10 for me. GTO sequel pls.

I doubt that very much, it's over 10 years old.
Apr 8, 2010 5:05 AM
Apr 2010
First of all, let me say I loved this anime. The best I've watched yet. Every episode when something was bound to happen. I always guessed it wrong which is really good to see in an anime, it kept me guessing a lot of twists were involved *Thumbs Up*. For this I give it a 9/10.
Although it was a really great anime, I kind of got confused at the ending when he went to california. It was a original ending but why would he leave fuyutsuki and he's class behind? Didn't he really love fuyutsuki?
Hey angel, you da sexy!
May 4, 2010 4:47 AM

Nov 2009
The perfect end! Of course, Onizuka will be back for Fuyutsuki ^_^
Jun 20, 2010 6:57 AM

May 2010
ooo man, why the rush? I already starting to like eps 30+ so i felt that it was too short. wish they didnt rush it though.
8/10 for me
Jun 22, 2010 3:19 PM

Jun 2010
Decided to try out the show - Wasn't disappointed. It had a lot of good storylines with an overall message. I don't feel like laying it all out atm so it's up to one's self to decipher the true meanings of the show - believe me they are plenty.

I had to give it a 9/10 for some of the things that just really bothered me. I know it sounds stupid but his time frame is quiet confusing for one - Legendary Bike gang, what about HS/College? Given its an anime but seriously some of the girls (especially Kanzaki) probably would have fallen in love or at least some kind of crush on GTO with the things he did for them - especially her. She happened to be my favorite story line in so many ways.

I just read some of her bio and I'm guessing it maybe comes from the manga - someone feel free to clear up that last paragraph lol. Anyways if GTO was a real dude being ripped/ not ugly its really skeptical the goofball wouldn't have gotten enough pity from some hottie.

I digress, overall 9/10, It had its shortcomings, but all Animes tend to be plagued by the same things - It avoided a lot of them though.
Jun 29, 2010 12:13 AM

May 2009
Well what can i say. Usualy i dont like comedy genre animes but i saw something much more in GTO. I enjoyed series a lot. Ranked GTO as 10/10 points. Added anime and Eikichi itself in my favourites. In my opinion it's one of the must seen animes ever. It's truly one of the greatest anime masterpieces.

And few words about ending. I was really thinking a lot about how could it end but never thought if it'd be like this. I'm really amazed and I really DID enjoy the ending as whole series itself.

Poll answer: Loved It! 5/5
JustLegendJun 29, 2010 12:17 AM
Join now Saint Seiya - The Lost Canvas Fan-Club
Jun 29, 2010 1:30 AM

Sep 2009
Azrael_STX said:
jaykaylol said:
He didn't really have to run away and go teach somewhere else because the truth was already revealed and he could have gone back to teaching at the school when things smoothed out. He always voiced that he would do anything for his students and be there for them but the ending is completely opposite, he doesn't even keep in contact with them it seems.

This. The ending was very rushed, but worse than that, it was nonsensical. There was no reason for him to leave, and the way they try to shove it down your throat in the last 60 seconds of the episode was a stupid choice.

The truth came out, all they had to do was show him being released from custody with everyone smiling or something and there you go, good ending. They could have showed random stuff that happened afterwords during the credits, like a scene of him putting his arm around Fuyutsuki, a scene of Aizawa laughing at something he says, then a group scene of everyone goofing off with the scene suddenly freezing, zooming out to show it's a snapshot, and then fading out.

It would have been so easy to give such an anime a decent ending, yet it seems they went out of their way to leave a bad taste in your mouth at the very end.

I give the anime up until the last minute a 10/10, and the final 60 seconds a 1/10.

Taken as a whole, I'd give it an 8/10.

I'm going to pretend that this is how it actually ended. Even if it did though, I wouldn't give it a 10. It was a good show but it had plenty of flaws. I don't give a damn about animation, so being old means nothing to me. The drama was way over the top sometimes, characters acted unrealistically, a few episodes were incredibly boring, and some storylines went unfinished. It was still fun to watch with all these problems though. I guess I'll be generous and give it an 8/10.
Jul 17, 2010 2:43 PM

Jan 2010
Pretty rushed ending, was sure the last arc would be longest and not a fairly rushed 2 parter. 8.5 (8) overall. Still great anime, really fun.

I still can't get over the fact Kunio's mother is Shinji.
My tastes > your tastes.
Jul 27, 2010 5:20 AM

Jan 2010
I would express my thoughts on this anime but it would just turn into a cliched "the manga is vastly superior" post

but it was still fun. 8/10
Aug 1, 2010 7:41 AM

Oct 2008
...Perfect ending...

Aug 7, 2010 9:18 AM

Mar 2008
What is this, I don't even. GHO, Great Hypocrite Onizuka.
Aug 27, 2010 6:17 PM

Oct 2009
Hmmm too rushed...they should have made a sequel without using an "anime only ending"
;\ oh well too bad i will miss it :(

9/10 from me

Now onto the manga and see the real ending :DD
Sep 16, 2010 6:12 PM

Aug 2009
Great anime but the is manga is excellent, The last two episodes bugged me but it was a good exaggerated Ending...But seriously california? ROFL 9/10
whalegatorzSep 16, 2010 6:15 PM

Oct 26, 2010 7:11 PM

Aug 2009
Any Inet discussion whether Onizuka is right or wrong in his doings is way too pointless, because:
It was 2000,
It was made in Japan. (Different social/moral/ethic virtues)
Thus, any Inet point of view on this matter is extremely subjective.

Nevertheless, Onizuka IS what a teacher should be, in such a way what many IRL school teachers fail miserably at. Rarely (if ever? had watched long ago) he decides himself the fate of his students, instead he negotiates with with all involved in the conflict parties and in/directly resolves them.
Who'd want to watch oh-you-are-teaching-me-life shit if Onizuka was all serious, not so lucky, not so pro-fighter?

You learn from books, get taught by teachers.

Epic anime for all-age public. Thanks to a bucket of comedy.
Oh, yeah, ending was perfect and sad. I was really hoping for anything but a default happy-end.
Oct 27, 2010 7:48 PM

Sep 2009
rulon-oboev said:
Any Inet discussion whether Onizuka is right or wrong in his doings is way too pointless, because:
It was 2000,
It was made in Japan. (Different social/moral/ethic virtues)
Thus, any Inet point of view on this matter is extremely subjective.

Nevertheless, Onizuka IS what a teacher should be, in such a way what many IRL school teachers fail miserably at. Rarely (if ever? had watched long ago) he decides himself the fate of his students, instead he negotiates with with all involved in the conflict parties and in/directly resolves them.
Who'd want to watch oh-you-are-teaching-me-life shit if Onizuka was all serious, not so lucky, not so pro-fighter?

You learn from books, get taught by teachers.

Epic anime for all-age public. Thanks to a bucket of comedy.
Oh, yeah, ending was perfect and sad. I was really hoping for anything but a default happy-end.

Completly agree, I think its the best ending from a lot of different options. I hope one day GTO give us a sequel
Nov 5, 2010 7:16 AM

Jul 2010
Just finished the series. In my opinion, the "intention" of the ending was excellent, but I think it was a tad rushed, Onizuka finished "helping" the students of his class and decided to go be a "JUSTICE DEFENDER!" elsewhere...... in which he chooses California :D.

I rated it 10/10 (No decimal/minor rating system in MAL = FTL) just because it was created extremely well and will definitely be my favourite Comedy/slice of life anime for a long time, however, that is not to say this show doesn't have flaws. (Onizuka just "ups and leaves" in the end it seems, it doesn't really seem to follow his personality throughout the series.)
Will you be able to do.... what must be done?

Nov 7, 2010 8:27 PM

Jun 2008
Re-watching this series had made me realize that all the women (except fuyutsuki and the chairman) in this anime are total bitches.
(づ°‿°.)づ
Nov 26, 2010 2:56 PM
Aug 2010
i dont like the ending :(
cant believe he ran away at the end
Dec 29, 2010 6:19 PM

Nov 2009
I Just finished watching GTO. But no matter how people flame, bash and hate on the series, its the best i have seen.
I loved the characters how they were all unique. That was the fastest 43 episodes i have ever watched.. I wish i had a teacher like that in school.
And the "YOROSHKU", in the end, made me laugh and cry, i really love this series. 100/10 from me. I bet anyone who loved this series, wants a sequel. So do i, but i just doesnt fit in the series. Maybe a Clannad-like "After Story", but nothing more.
Jan 25, 2011 9:14 PM

Apr 2009
Rushed ending much?
But yeah he really is a great character :)
Jan 27, 2011 6:54 PM

Sep 2010
This was a fun series. Definitely liked it.
Feb 1, 2011 8:55 PM
Oct 2010
7.5/10 for me. I really hate these "we don't wanna continue producing the anime so we'll give you a cop out ending" endings. I really would rather have original anime series stay in anime, and original manga series stay in manga, UNLESS they can retain the same content and/or make it better (eg. Death Note, the anime was basically scene for scene, page by page adaption of the manga)

But, the series did keep me entertained, and I didn't have to force myself to watch those 43 episodes. I'm also taking away points for the absolutely poor logic that goes around on the show. I know these shows aren't supposed to be by any part, realistic, but the way the characters act is pretty stupid.

Also, low budget english dub, everyone who's a tertiary/minor character is voiced by a complete amateur.
Feb 2, 2011 12:56 PM

Oct 2010
Had no problems with the dub myself. Onizuka is easily one of the most compelling and great characters I've seen. The anime is great, but I expect the manga to be even better. That said, I give this 9/10. Excellent comedy all around that isn't relied TOO much on and maintains a cohesive and fluent plot.
Feb 16, 2011 8:04 PM

Oct 2009
Such a great anime, kept me wanting more after each episode.

The way I see it, since he resolved his students' issues and got their approval, he chose to fix another troublesome class. XD
Feb 27, 2011 1:01 PM

Sep 2008
What I dont understand is why a lot of the people here think that the end of GTO is really the end. They left it open for your imagination; I guess that in itself is the problem for some (haha). It was meant for inspiration.

I liked it because you know eventually "hell be back".

9/10.

Those who give it lower must need their hand held and shown every detail of this story. Im sorry but what defines a good and a great anime is the ending and capturing the audiences imagination. It makes the viewer THINK.

Im just thankful he didnt become a travelling hobo. (hopefully you get my anime reference)
Mar 9, 2011 9:19 AM
Feb 2011
I read some serious nonsense comments but eh, can't change one's way of thinking.

GTO is a legendary story with epic characters but failed anime even though it has a 10/10 from me.

The ending was WAY too rushed (reminds me of Beck) and it wasn't even 1/2 of the manga which really pissed me off.

Mar 22, 2011 10:34 PM

Aug 2010
Brings tears to my eyes to see that the Vice-principle finally did the right thing. Kind of weird ending, I am not satisfied. :/
Apr 6, 2011 9:20 AM
Oct 2009
The ending is kinda weird and rushed indeed, but still 10/10
Though the manga is even better
Apr 15, 2011 7:10 AM
Apr 2011
I can't believe I almost missed one of the greatest shounen series ever created. I'm going to miss everyone.

especially the Vice Principal... lol
Apr 17, 2011 9:25 PM
Nov 2010
I got an empty feeling after finishing this.
So much more could have been put into the ending.
May 27, 2011 11:21 PM

Jan 2011
Well this series felt a bit hyped to me byt none the less it's good 8/10.
Jun 22, 2011 1:29 PM

May 2010
epic series.give it a 10/10 now to read the manga,still hoping for a sequel though
Jul 18, 2011 7:26 PM

Mar 2010
epic series 9/10
Aug 29, 2011 12:56 PM

Jul 2011
That was an amazing anime. I enjoed every single inute of it. Epic ending. The title doesnt lie at all. 11/10 Im going to write a review now.
Aug 31, 2011 1:04 AM
Mar 2011
This end was AWESOME!
Nov 16, 2011 12:53 PM

Jul 2009
How long do you think it would take until he's got the same amount of 'control' in that american school?
Good anime, and i'll try to find some sequels to see if they can live up to this.
'Everything is impossible until proven possible.' - Me

Dec 28, 2011 11:05 AM

May 2010
6/10 from me.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Jan 28, 2012 1:54 PM

Jun 2009
One of the best series I've seen, and I'll sure to recommend this to every one. 10/10 Very funny series and I agree it was a rushed ending, but can't help it.

Mar 24, 2012 6:01 AM
Nov 2011
So, the butt-sniffer finally got out of his butt, huh? Good series, overall. 7/10.
Apr 8, 2012 3:07 PM

Feb 2009
Well, this series took a different path from the usual "let me explain you every event's epilogue in detail". This is sad on one side, since I would have really enjoyed scenes like Uehara X Yoshikawa, Fuyutsuki X Onizuka, that big girl X Murai or Miyabi being happy in school again. And lemme not mention more Urumi action here (she is awesome). On the other side: EVERYONE IS TOTALLY AWARE OF THAT. So there is no need to. This is a way of granting intelligence to the viewer (while not actually satisfying them).

The ending was rushed indeed, but then again, it made perfect sense. Onizuka's mission was fulfilled, so he went to another dark place to enlighten it. That's what he did in the prologue, too.

Thinking this way gave me the opinion to rate that series as a 10.
May 2, 2012 8:43 PM
Apr 2012
10/10

Ending was so random, but I am glad that he at least wasn't in jail.

Just make your own ending it's not difficult.

Onizuka goes back.
Students are happy
He gets with Fuyuzuki (can't spell the name).
The End.

Why they didn't do what would be a very simple, but good ending is puzzling. But don't let the last 5 minutes of the show take away from what was an otherwise amazing series.
May 7, 2012 10:21 AM

Dec 2011
I wish they had continue it more longer the ending was good 10/10.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 1, 2012 4:57 PM

Nov 2011
Cheesy episode but overall, I really enjoyed watching this series.

Thanks for the laughs :D
Jul 25, 2012 6:46 PM

Jun 2008
I do need to read the manga. I'm certain there was a lot missed, either details or story arcs. Now they need to do GTO:14 Days.
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?

Jul 30, 2012 12:31 AM

Jul 2012
Never before have I wished for a series to NOT end. Wow, I was pleasantly surprised by this anime. Sucks a second season or a remake hasn't happened in 12 years.
Final score 9/10
Aug 2, 2012 10:30 PM

Feb 2012
This show is an excellent one, all these years later and we can still say it's one of the best anime around.
Aug 14, 2012 6:27 PM

Aug 2008
this episode was bad all that drama shouldnt be in ending of this series, i would prefer pure comedy for ending episode 41 is fitting end for me. (untill they make california)
Pages (7) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Great Teacher Onizuka Episode 33 Discussion ( 1 2 )

yakyuu-addict - Oct 28, 2008

96 by CoreFinder »»
Apr 25, 1:20 PM

Poll: » Great Teacher Onizuka Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

notestinet - Aug 17, 2008

176 by SametTakao »»
Apr 24, 7:14 PM

» What are the chances for a full remake?

xONLYINHUMANx - Apr 8

16 by F4i53 »»
Apr 15, 3:15 AM

Poll: » Great Teacher Onizuka Episode 42 Discussion

yakyuu-addict - Oct 30, 2008

48 by xONLYINHUMANx »»
Apr 13, 1:52 AM

Poll: » Great Teacher Onizuka Episode 35 Discussion ( 1 2 )

yakyuu-addict - Oct 28, 2008

76 by xONLYINHUMANx »»
Apr 12, 6:17 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.