Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
GTO: Great Teacher Onizuka
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Aug 25, 2008 8:57 AM

Feb 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
why has no one made a topic for the final episode in the series?! I loved this show and it has just now been put up on my top 5 favorites
Aug 29, 2008 1:42 PM

Apr 2008
I really loved the ending.
10/10.
Sep 16, 2008 5:04 AM

Nov 2007
I felt sad after finishing the last episode. How I wish the anime would have been longer. Oh well 9/10 overall.
Oct 18, 2008 10:51 PM

Sep 2008
Hahaha "I am Great Teacher Onizuka!"next up.... California!! Great anime, I will definitely miss those days where I watch one episode of GTO before hitting the books.
Oct 30, 2008 1:44 PM

Jul 2008
The episode was great and the series was great. Definitely one of my favorite animes. 10/10.
Nov 10, 2008 4:16 PM

Jun 2007
I liked it and everything but i give it a 7/10 ._.
Dec 19, 2008 4:04 AM

Nov 2007
Great series, a bit of an odd way to end it for me for some reason even though I knew what was coming (a friend spoiled the ending for me ><) but we never got to go further into Urumu's past or get in to more depth with a few of the characters =/ even though that's so I'm giving it a 10/10 awesome series nevertheless ^^
Dec 22, 2008 12:00 AM

May 2008
Most rushed ending ever. Still though, an 8/10 for me.
Dec 30, 2008 7:44 PM

Dec 2008
Id give it a 8/10 also. Sort of different ending then I thought it was going to be. Sort of wanted to know what going to happen with them.
Jan 2, 2009 3:39 PM

Sep 2008
i've got to read the manga......now~! lol
Jan 6, 2009 12:58 PM

Nov 2008
How does this anime have a lower score than Code Geass... X(
Jan 14, 2009 3:56 AM

Jul 2008
I gave it a 6/10 (Which believe it or not, means above average, my 10/10 spamming friends)

I got irritated at the logic some characters followed throughout the entire series, and couldn't help but agree that Onizuka didn't deserve to be a teacher.

Sure, he inspired a lot of students which is all well and good in that world, but I'd like to see his methods work even once in a real-life situation. Of course, I'm taking it too seriously for the comedy anime it was intended as, but that's because to me, the comedy was actually the most frustrating part of it.

So, I'm really redeeming it by saying that its inspirational and touching moments were good enough for me to give it a 6/10. As a comedy, it failed, but that's because good anime comedies are rare.
Feb 6, 2009 9:06 PM

Aug 2008
cafe-kun said:
I felt sad after finishing the last episode. How I wish the anime would have been longer. Oh well 9/10 overall.

youre opinion does suck since you were bashing this anime ' and how can it be short when it has 43 episodes ?

No one forced you to watch it
Feb 14, 2009 1:12 AM

Dec 2007
Rethice said:
I gave it a 6/10 (Which believe it or not, means above average, my 10/10 spamming friends)

So, I'm really redeeming it by saying that its inspirational and touching moments were good enough for me to give it a 6/10. As a comedy, it failed, but that's because good anime comedies are rare.

Please take your mood-ruining sarcastic remarks elsewhere. To come in and say people are "spamming 10/10" is none of your business. If they like it, they are entitled to rank it as they see fit.

You yourself didn't like it, and that's just grand, but don't come in here saying that just because someone else ranked it 10 that their opinion is wrong.
Apr 5, 2009 10:13 AM

Jan 2008
hanabiii said:
I liked it and everything but i give it a 7/10 ._.

Me too. It was hard to get through on more than a few occasions. I especially couldn't stand onizuka's over-the-top outragesness. I was often dissapointed in what was touted as a classic.

But, Overall I enjoyed it to my 7 out of 10 level.
Apr 8, 2009 8:35 PM
May 2008
I really enjoyed this series but now I have to go read the manga!!!
Dead Account
Please Delete
Apr 9, 2009 6:19 PM

Jan 2009
rushed ending but a good enjoyable laughable series of "the great teacher onizuka". i couldn't understand why onizuka went to a different school to teach when he finally had all the support of the school and his students at his old school. That incident when he falsely claimed he stabbed saito should've been taken care of so he shouldn't have kept running away after 2months. Thats what bugs me. 8/10 for me.
Apr 30, 2009 10:37 AM

Jan 2008
good series but i don't know if i'm satisfied with that ending. i guess i feel it ended too suddenly. probably an 7- 8/10
May 23, 2009 10:09 PM

Feb 2009
It was EPIC 10/10
May 30, 2009 9:10 PM

Apr 2008
9/10

I want more XD

Jun 23, 2009 3:59 AM

May 2009
loved this anime for me it is one of the best. although the ending sucked for me. Wish it would be longer luckily there is an ova, don't know about the live action but i'll check it out
Jun 23, 2009 6:48 AM

Apr 2008
Sylpheed said:
9/10

I want more XD

word
Jun 25, 2009 11:03 AM
Mar 2008
In the end, GTO remains a virgin :(
Jul 3, 2009 10:59 AM

Mar 2009
I'm so sad its over. I enjoyed this so much its totally getting a 10 out of 10.

Jul 9, 2009 3:03 PM

Apr 2008
damnit now I'm seriously sad because I finished the series. I've heard that there's a possibility for a second season, god damnit I am willing to wait few years for that.

Teacher, BANZAI

10/10
Jul 10, 2009 3:08 AM

Jul 2009
Djo77 said:
loved this anime for me it is one of the best. although the ending sucked for me. Wish it would be longer luckily there is an ova, don't know about the live action but i'll check it out

you should also chack out http://myanimelist.net/manga/14531/GTO:_Sh%C5%8Dnan_14_Days

It's a new manga informing us about 14 strange days Onizuka had and never told anyone :P
Jul 13, 2009 5:59 AM
Jul 2018
Ending isn't satisfying enough. Felt rushed too. Overall I think 8 is good enough. I'm definitely checking out Shonan 14 Days xD Seems promising.
Jul 15, 2009 7:42 AM

Sep 2008
Oh I think this anime is truly a masterpiece.Somebody said that it failed as a comedy,OMG I have no words.
Jul 15, 2009 8:56 PM

Jan 2009
Ending really bugged me. I did not see the reason for him to run away like that, everything would've been taken care of in due time, he left all his students after finally there trust. Ending was definitely to rushed a few more episodes would've been good.

Other then the ending i thought this anime was a masterpiece, everything about it, so i will give it a 10 despite the ending.
Aug 9, 2009 10:18 PM

Jul 2008
decent show with a great ending. the ending song for ep 43 fit perfectly with the ending for the show. I also liked how he ended up in california. 8/10 for me
Aug 10, 2009 12:19 AM
Jun 2009
Great series, but the ending defeats the purpose of the anime to me. Half of the series is about Onizuka fixing the students personal problems and the other half is about how Onizuka manages to prevent getting fired. And in the end he leaves just like that. It was a big letdown. But the series: 9/10.
Aug 20, 2009 2:31 PM

Mar 2009
8/10

I liked the anime, but really hated the ending. I hated how he just ran away. Wasn't most of the show about gaining the trust of his students and not abandoning them? I forget exactly what a character said in the show, but I think they talked about how the classmates enjoyed school and will continue as long as he is around or something like that.
The guy that stabbed himself woke up and could have told the truth also.
Sep 4, 2009 6:47 PM

May 2008
darth_lex said:
i've got to read the manga......now~! lol
Me too XD
Great Series btw. 9/10
Sep 22, 2009 12:49 AM

Sep 2009
Oh,yeah,it is really adourable anime! Especially last serises was the best ones! Onizuka was a character prototype for the next heroes we saw them everywhere
Sep 24, 2009 7:06 AM

May 2009
I'ts an awesome anime and i so hope they continue it some day.
Sep 27, 2009 3:34 PM

Jul 2009
im crying now

everything was great but the ending could have been better if only he continued teaching in the old school TT.TT
Nov 1, 2009 3:58 AM

Jan 2009
Aww, it was way too rushed, certainly I did enjoy this show, amazing, I can't help but to give GTO a 9/10, too many unanswered questions and it felt like something was missing. It was almost as great as a masterpiece, well done.

Now to the manga.

My Anime List. | 皆は見つけられる必要がある。 | Relentless.
Nov 8, 2009 10:43 PM
Dec 2008
Damn entertaining series. I gave it a 7/10
Nov 17, 2009 5:17 AM
Aug 2009
it was truly great although ive wanted onizuka to stay and get together with fuyutsuki

still its a 10/10 !
Nov 26, 2009 9:13 PM

Nov 2009
AWFUL ENDING!!! wtf?!?! why is he in California??? plus why should he run the truth about all that would have come out in no time... very annoying and aggravating for me. also ... how did he get on the plane if he was a wanted criminal just recently in the news?
Dec 9, 2009 10:24 PM
Jun 2009
what is this i dont even.
Dec 11, 2009 3:03 AM

Jun 2009
I really have very mixed feelings about this anime. On one hand I can see that objectively it is a masterpiece as far as anime goes and personally I thought that the characters were some of the best written in anime. On the other hand, it got so boring in parts that it was difficult to watch and I hated Onizuka.

I know that I need to explain that last part since I'm probably the only one to feel that way since the entire anime was all about how great he was. The easiest way for me to explain it is to compare Onizuka to the two characters he seems to be a combination of: Dr.House and Robin Hood.

Onizuka fits the Robin Hood cliche of being the idealistic champion of the oppressed(students) in a corrupt system. Unfortunately, in order for those characters to be popular with the other characters they have to be unusually kind and generous because revolutionizing corrupt systems always stirs up a whole bunch of shit which screws up innocent bystanders lives. Despite being an overbearing asshole like House is Onizuka magically gets around this. All the shit he's stirring up and BS philosophy he spouts actually makes everyones lives better purely because of bizzare amounts of luck and the students own efforts. He's also probably the crappiest teacher ever but it doesn't matter since he's so lucky.

Here's how he differs from House:

Onizuka doesn't care about doing what he thinks is right, he's just got a chip on his shoulder. All he wants to do is prove those teachers wrong by being acknoledged as the greatest teacher who ever lived. He also fails to be sympathetic in the way that House is because he can only continue doing what he feels is right because he constantly gets support from everyone rather than because he knows what he's doing is right. Also House's view of what's right is only valid because he has so much experience and is a genius. Onizuka's view of what's "right" is only good because it's better than a junior highschoolers or corrupt bureaucrats view of what's "right".

In short I hate Onizuka because I hate him. This anime gets a 7/10 despite the fact that I acknowledge that objectively it would be a 9/10 and I am done typing. I am not objective, end of story.
Dec 11, 2009 9:23 AM
Dec 2008
your reasoning is beyond my grasp. how could this... 'objectively'... be a 9/10? on what grounds are you judging it 'objectively'? personally i'd give it a much lower score if i was to judge it objectively, because it's shallow and of low quality in most respects. i dont see why people are making a big deal out of the characters in GTO. most of the characters play a shallow role in one or two scenarios, and after that they no longer matter. if it wasnt for the fact that GTO is so damn entertaining, i'd give it a 4 or a 5, at most.
Dec 11, 2009 12:53 PM

Jun 2009
Prayermad said:
your reasoning is beyond my grasp. how could this... 'objectively'... be a 9/10? on what grounds are you judging it 'objectively'?
I meant that that is the score I probably would have given GTO had I not been prejudiced by the fact that I personally disliked the main character because I was comparing him to House. I had hoped the context of the previous two paragraphs would make that obvious without having to spell it out.

I wasn't trying to claim that I could be completely objective. I thought that "I am not objective, end of story" would make that clear enough. The reason for that is because I try to rate purely by how much fun I had watching it rather than as a professional critic would rate. Personally, I can't imagine giving any anime that I found "damn entertaining" a score of less than 9. The only reason my dislike for Onizuka even affects my score is because my frustration with his character made parts of the show painful to watch. That and also he was NOT funny.

I hope my explanation has put my reasoning firmly in your grasp. Now, I'd appreciate it if you could please clear up a couple questions I had about your objective criticism of GTO:

Prayermad said:
personally i'd give it a much lower score if i was to judge it objectively, because it's shallow and of low quality in most respects. i dont see why people are making a big deal out of the characters in GTO. most of the characters play a shallow role in one or two scenarios, and after that they no longer matter. if it wasnt for the fact that GTO is so damn entertaining, i'd give it a 4 or a 5, at most.
So you base your 'objective' opinion on a negative reaction to hype about the characters? I've always felt that one way or another hype is always the single worst enemy of anyone trying to be objective. Besides, if you thought that it was damn entertaining despite the shallow characters you must have thought the rest of it was perfect. What kind of objective score places so much emphasis one aspect of an anime?
DrHouseDec 11, 2009 12:57 PM
Dec 12, 2009 4:47 PM
Dec 2008
has nothing to do with hype, i would have had the same opinion regarding the characters in GTO no matter what sort of hype surrounded these characters. what i mean is that, the series was very entertaining, but there was not really all that much to it, there are many different aspects that are to our liking, GTO did well in many of these aspects and less well in others. imo of course (but hopefully i dont have to use imo, although i do it anyway, to be sure, imo)

to get a higher score there would have to be more to the series, that's just how i rate. and i'm not claiming that all of this is up to me, but of course, we rate according to our own feelings and opinions, do we not...? anyway, i understand what you meant before now.
Dec 17, 2009 3:31 PM

Oct 2008
Hmm pretty good, like most I thought the ending was kinda rushed but I guess a smooth flowing ending wouldn't really fit this awesome show. Nice to see VP redeeming himself in the episode.

Really enjoyed watching this show but I prefer anime which have a concrete plot whereas this anime was kinda all over the place. Although don't get me wrong, the muddled up nature of the plot did suit this anime!

Overall kinda 8.5/10 but rounded down 8/10
Jan 18, 2010 7:45 PM

Sep 2009
THIS IS THE BEST I LOVED the last ep and the hole show. its been 10 years I WANT A SQUEAL...HELL ill take a remake

Special thanks to orbitzz for the sig

Feb 9, 2010 6:10 AM
Jun 2009
Ah, finally finished. What a great anime. The ending does feel kind of rushed. He didn't really have to run away and go teach somewhere else because the truth was already revealed and he could have gone back to teaching at the school when things smoothed out. He always voiced that he would do anything for his students and be there for them but the ending is completely opposite, he doesn't even keep in contact with them it seems.

I see a few posts saying Onizuka isn't funny but I guess to each his own, I haven't actually laughed out loud in a long, long time but this anime has done it for me on multiple occasions.

Will definitely watch this again in the future. =)
Feb 12, 2010 10:36 PM

Jun 2009
Technically this isnt what the mangaka wrote! (well at least not the ending), and he didnt participate at the anime at all. ( Also the low quality... dude it was 2000 not 2010 :D )

Anyway, if you wanna understand why people make such a fuzz about GTO, read the manga (Shonan Junai Gumi, Bad Company, Great Teacher Onizuka and Shonan 14 Days in that order)

Onizuka story is all these manga
Spoiler Alert: contains part of the manga`s ending

The GTO anime`s ending isnt genuine and also its not even 1/2 of the manga`s story.

Anyway cya guyz!
Feb 26, 2010 5:30 AM

Oct 2009
I didn't feel like the ending was forced and well, I was hoping for a scene where the students talk about where Onizuka is and then jump to Fuyutsuki sensei. I have a feeling that GTO will meet the governator. I never really liked Aizawa that much in the end because well.....she's still a bitch to Eikichi till the end.
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Great Teacher Onizuka Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

notestinet - Aug 17, 2008

176 by SametTakao »»
Yesterday, 7:14 PM

» What are the chances for a full remake?

xONLYINHUMANx - Apr 8

17 by F4i53 »»
Apr 15, 3:15 AM

Poll: » Great Teacher Onizuka Episode 42 Discussion

yakyuu-addict - Oct 30, 2008

48 by xONLYINHUMANx »»
Apr 13, 1:52 AM

Poll: » Great Teacher Onizuka Episode 35 Discussion ( 1 2 )

yakyuu-addict - Oct 28, 2008

76 by xONLYINHUMANx »»
Apr 12, 6:17 PM

Poll: » Great Teacher Onizuka Episode 34 Discussion ( 1 2 )

yakyuu-addict - Oct 28, 2008

70 by xONLYINHUMANx »»
Apr 12, 10:06 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.