Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 10, 2008 10:50 PM

Jan 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Just when I was thinking thefinal episode won't have so much since all the action is over in the previous episode; but no, the last episode is quite emotional and did not let up in terms of greatness. What a series. I really enjoyed FLAG and I am happey it continued to suprise and entertain me until the last episode. 8.5/10
FighterZAug 12, 2008 11:05 PM
Jul 7, 2009 3:02 PM

Aug 2008
Happy I gave this show a shot. It was emotional, poignant and relevant. I'm sad its over. 8.5/10 from me, too. I loved the documentary style the show used.
Oct 1, 2009 11:49 AM
Apr 2009
Good show.
Aug 28, 2011 3:58 AM
Aug 2011
Didnt see the ending comeing but I loved the anime
Who the hell do you think I am??????
Jan 4, 2012 12:39 AM
Dec 2009
I have to say. This series went from a 6 initially to a 9 at the end. It's a very refreshing show to watch.
May 28, 2012 4:22 AM
May 2012
So this is the kind of show where you 'didn't see it coming'... after all I give it 9/10, something new to me for this kind of narration. Oh and that credits just makes it more bittersweet if any of you ever see it until the end.
Oct 20, 2012 11:49 PM

Nov 2010
I kind of saw that ending coming, I liked how it tied together how you always saw it through the camera lens and the computer screen showing the footage all through the show being him editing at the end. All those pictures were basically her will, that ending coupled with how it all tied together 9/10.
May 17, 2014 1:10 PM
Jun 2013
Since like episode 2, I was positive the main character wasn't going to live to see the end of the show. After she made it through episode 12, I thought I guessed wrong. They really fuck with the viewer in this anime.
Sep 8, 2014 6:10 AM

Apr 2009
I loved this anime from start to finish. It's great to watch an anime that is telling a deep story using photography ^_^ (I'm a photographer) FLAG is an anime about a great photographer living her life to the fullest & capturing all the moments with her camera,I find that really touching.
The ending Damn.. So sad
10/10

May 8, 2015 10:11 AM

Feb 2013
Interesting series but lacks A LOT on character development and becomes way too ridiculous and extremist sometimes. Excellent visuals and detailed animation though. It has more negative than positive points, so this series might not be for everyone. For me, it was definitely a half, between a yes for the visuals, and a no, for the others aspects. 5/10

Jul 29, 2015 6:33 AM

Mar 2015
I really like the unique presentation and exploring of the setting's culture but I can't say I enjoyed it all that much.
I don't regret watching it though as it's different and I like different.
Last episode was good though,really emotional and I liked how the characters thought about what they had experienced and how the people always had hope.
Nice talk about photos aswell :D
Oct 24, 2015 7:38 AM

Jun 2013
I didn't actually realize what had happened until the episode was almost over.. then it hit me. Fuck, that's sad. Great series, 9/10.
Nov 30, 2015 2:10 AM
Mar 2012
Very slow pace early on, with some sequence repeats (of same or previous episode, which are unnecessary).
Good English dub, feels mostly natural with the unique use of first person POV/camera, self aware editing, & National Geographic doc style.
Impressive real mech use & war tactics. They're not OP & have real weight & weaknesses to them.
Senpai foreshadowed rather strongly Shirasu'll hit the fan in very early episodes. Near end nothing happened & I thought maybe Senpai was just over protective. Sad how she became a sacrificial piece of the larger political machinations. But the realistic char designs & good animation helped explore photo/reporting professionalism.
Jun 4, 2017 1:51 PM

Feb 2008
I don't think I can get over this episode. The entire show was great from start to finish, but this ending? Fuck this show for doing this to me. Its almost midnight and I'm sitting here crying over it. I hate having feelings, ugh.

“That which does not kill us makes us stronger.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

May 24, 2018 10:00 PM

Oct 2016
The whole show was narrated by her friend, and at times he was guessing at her feelings. I knew she wouldn't make it out, I just didn't know how it would happen. The only thing I don't get is that when the footage cut on her, she was not in an airport area. The ending of this was pretty good, I would have like a bit of explanation of how the death of the photographer who took the 'peace photo' affected society, but it was pretty good. I liked it a lot. I'll have to think for awhile before giving it a score.

It was impactful, that's for sure.
Sep 22, 2018 1:58 PM

Sep 2011
What a poignant and great ending, I wasn't expecting something like this, I'm crying now. First I was really frustrated that the top brass prevented Shirasu from saying goodbye to the others, or to keep her footage, even if the latter was to be expected, but it was just so one-sided, so unfair, that I smiled when she got that memory card with that goodbye message, and everything else, it was beautiful, it was only a month, but it happened, and their bond was real.

She was also able to meet up with Akagi, the one that inspired her to be a photographer, and the one that gave her the chance to take the photo of the flag that started it all. Her last message to him was also great, with her talking about the nature of hope, about the answer she's reached, I loved it, I can't believe she died, I got a bit emotional there, and I don't know if I missed something, maybe if I rewatched it it would be clear, maybe not, but I don't know if the attack on the airport was intentional, if Shirasu was a target after all was said and done, maybe because they found out she had the footage or something, I don't know, but it was really sad.

What we watched was in fact pretty much a documentary, edited by Akagi, the one that knew the truth, and needed closure. This anime was surprisingly good; there was no proof that the achieved peace would last, but all we could do was to hope that it would, Shirasu's life, and the team's feats are now part of the past, but even if they are never released, they aren't lost.
Mar 6, 2019 4:25 AM

Oct 2015
When it started i did not enjoy because of the camera shots, but as it went on i liked a lot. I bonded well with the SDC AND Shirasu. Too bad they killed her because she was such a wonderful watch. This series was unique and very creative with those camera shots in telling the story.

8/10
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Jun 18, 2020 1:16 AM

Mar 2014
The font and its color is terrible in the G_P release, luckily the dub is quite solid.

I liked the anime, the story was interesting and the characters were too, but the pacing could have been better at times and the presentation with the camera was a bit annoying.
Jan 12, 2021 3:36 PM

Dec 2012
lol, what a random doomer ending
mediocre series, has a bunch of bland characterization and feel-good platitudes
only thing of interest was the real world setting
Jan 28, 2021 8:07 AM

May 2020
Wow. What a powerful last episode. I feel a little stupid for not figuring out that she was going to bite the dust, especially with all the clues they gave. I didn't particularly enjoy her Senpai's part of the story and at times, it felt very annoying to me because I felt like it was taking away focus from interesting things. Not to say that his part of the story wasn't essential, it's just that I felt like that part of the story could've been executed better. But with the benefit of hindsight, I understand why they chose this as the method of presenting the story.

Her death was so sudden I didn't even think she was dead until later in the episode. Which is, I suppose, the intention.

But unfortunately, I didn't really care about her. Or about anyone else in this show. While its direction and story are very good, its characters felt flat. None of them were very interesting to me and they were rarely fleshed out. Since the story is told in a large part by her Senpai, we see Shirasu as her camera saw her, rarely. Which is kind of brilliant but doesn't exactly lend itself to making you care about the character. Character interactions in this show also fell flat at times.

Overall, I did like this show. It's flawed but I think people looking for a different anime experience will enjoy this. 7/10.
Jun 18, 2021 4:06 PM

Jun 2019
My 124th completed series chronologically.

For the record, I extended it a 7/10 rating.
Jul 21, 2021 12:23 PM

Aug 2012
What a truly incredible series, I was initially not sure the style was going to be enjoyable across the whole 13 episodes but eventually you get used to it and the story absolutely drew me in more and more. I ended up marathoning the last 7 episodes in a row today.

Kinda depressed about the end though. I mean Akagi spends the series narrating Shirasu in the past tense throughout which is a pretty major death flag but I felt for sure she was going to go down in the mission on the temple. Yet she survives that so I thought maybe she was going to live but no after all that she goes and dies randomly from an attack at the airport, at least I hope it was random (points finger at UN). So sad.

Overall I think this series is incredibly well made, rarely have I seen a story of this nature in Anime told in such a mostly realistic and engrossing way. All the while being pretty easy to follow too. Very unique across the Anime spectrum. A show I'd known about for years and years and just hadn't got around to giving the time but I'm very happy to have finally done so. A true classic.

9/10
Nov 2, 2021 8:03 PM
Apr 2020
shirasu’s damaged camera at the end of the end credits :(
Feb 20, 2022 7:49 AM

Apr 2015
Just finished this hidden gem during my findings of War themes anime. Solid 8/10.

What a sad end! I was take by surprise first, but than I remember some death flag stuff that was said in the first episode. And all the senpai past tense dialogues.

The beginning of the story was a little all over the place, but it got some really nice development. The last 5 episodes were the best part. I think senpai story would had be better if it was told a little more inside the terrorists side than just neutral. About Shirasu side I enjoyed a lot, the characters didn't had much deep, but they were all interesting to watch.

And finally the ED theme is beautiful! Already got the full version for me collection.
ScarRufusFeb 20, 2022 6:04 PM
Feb 19, 2023 5:17 PM

Apr 2020
one of the messages I received from the show is "that's just how it is sometimes"

I wonder what happened to the chip of copied files the main character received? I assume they survived because that would explain some of the senpai's commentary from earlier in the series.

Impressive the creators of this show made a fictional characters and a fictional country feel immersive.
W3TFTMar 20, 2023 5:57 PM
ow + nw = 90-2000s

More topics from this board

Poll: » FLAG Episode 2 Discussion

zippy - Mar 22, 2008

7 by DrThurl »»
Dec 12, 2023 3:17 PM

Poll: » FLAG Episode 1 Discussion

zippy - Mar 22, 2008

12 by Gundam_Sage »»
Apr 5, 2022 3:59 AM

Poll: » Flag Episode 12 Discussion

_HeroKenzan_ - Jul 28, 2015

2 by TitanInsane »»
Jan 28, 2021 7:17 AM

Poll: » Flag Episode 11 Discussion

_HeroKenzan_ - Jul 28, 2015

2 by TitanInsane »»
Jan 28, 2021 6:21 AM

Poll: » Flag Episode 6 Discussion

_HeroKenzan_ - Jul 27, 2015

4 by TitanInsane »»
Jan 28, 2021 2:37 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.