Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 16, 2011 1:46 PM
Nov 2011
I recently started to watching anime on netflix I have seen Angel Beats! and Elfen Lied, I googled for a forum (this one :) ) to find other anime recommendations to my surprise there's like a million different anime! I don't know where to start..

How do you decide which to watch?
do you feel overwhelmed there are so many different anime out there and so many more 'ep' not available online ?
Nov 16, 2011 2:03 PM

Mar 2010
I just used the recommendation section to find something similar to what I had previously watched.
Nov 16, 2011 2:09 PM

Jul 2009
Just check the avalibility of a series or two - once you know they're are easy enough to find, try out some short, complete series's - then, you will get to know what you like, overtime, you'll be able to filter out what you're not too keen on - then (once you have preferances), invest in something longer that catches your eye.
Use this websites features, such as the 'Plan to Watch' list.

Nov 16, 2011 2:30 PM

Dec 2009
I remember having that feeling when I walked into the anime section of Best Buy. I thought to myself, "Wow, do people really watch all this?".

Well, if you don't know where to start, I suggest you head over to the recommendation section of the forums and ask for help. If you REALLY don't know where to start, then you should google "anime recommendation chart". I found really good series by following recommendation charts.
Nov 16, 2011 2:32 PM

May 2010
Watch just about everything in this image:

http://i.imgur.com/Opu9p.jpg

Look at the "Top Series" lists here on MAL:

http://myanimelist.net/topmanga.php

http://myanimelist.net/topanime.php

And yeah read, more manga, son
Nov 16, 2011 2:33 PM

Dec 2009
Or then you watch Fullmetal alchemist brotherhood and realize you don't need to watch anything else again.
Nov 16, 2011 2:36 PM

Jan 2008
nv said:
How do you decide which to watch?
do you feel overwhelmed there are so many different anime out there and so many more 'ep' not available online ?

'Everything' is available online... you just gotta know what to look for.

Don't follow Netflix's recommendations, it sucks at recommending. Just watch what you want, don't judge it by it's cover. Try out a few episodes.

Not exactly sure what your looking for so I won't recommend anything for now.
Nov 16, 2011 2:49 PM

Sep 2008
Depends of your taste , find animes of categories you like more, read their story, see the trailer and start to watch to have sure if you like .
Nov 16, 2011 2:52 PM
Mar 2011
the Ota king is here swing by me if you need any anime recs
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Nov 16, 2011 3:00 PM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
Paul said:
Don't follow Netflix's recommendations, it sucks at recommending.

I agree - I watch a lot of stuff on Netflix, but I find it sucks at recommending things.

Paul said:
Just watch what you want, don't judge it by it's cover. Try out a few episodes.

Again, I agree with Paul. That's the main thing. Often brief descriptions or even individual reviews may not really give you a good idea for whether or not you will ultimately like it. Some series take 3 or 4 episodes to really start to show their worth (or lack there of).

MAL in particular is a great one-stop place for info. Don't be afraid to look at peoples' Lists to see what they watch (or read), what they rated, and if they made any comments regarding what they watched (I try to put in something for every show/series I've watched).
Nov 16, 2011 3:05 PM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
nv said:
I recently started to watching anime on netflix I have seen Angel Beats! and Elfen Lied

Well, nothing like starting with some light stuff ;)
Nov 16, 2011 3:11 PM

Mar 2010
You should choose an genre first. Most of them are Shoujos ( Comedy+romance+School life) and Shounens ( Super powers,comedy,adventure..they're like rpg's stuff lol) . There's another genres too but these ones are the most used those days...

Check my animelist and see some good animes...most of them have tag's as well.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 16, 2011 3:11 PM

May 2010
Oh yeah and get MPC and the madVR renderer

get your anime from bakabt or animebyt.es as well

You'll have to graduate from streaming some time!
Nov 16, 2011 3:12 PM
Mar 2011
Slurpentine said:

yep go from the legal route to the not legal one
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

Nov 16, 2011 3:16 PM

May 2010
Akai-Ryuusei said:
Slurpentine said:

Ho yah.
Nov 16, 2011 3:50 PM

Jul 2011
Akai-Ryuusei said:
Slurpentine said:

That is, obviously the correct move.
The Internet is a very bad place, you should never go there.
Nov 16, 2011 6:02 PM
Nov 2011
"Never watch on Netflix, they only have crappy english dubs"

watch japanese with english subs?
Nov 16, 2011 6:16 PM

Jun 2011
Clannad + K-ON. DONE.

Also, if you have any specific tastes (genres), search up (genre) anime on google.
i.e. good action anime

i pwefer romance :)
Nov 16, 2011 6:37 PM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
nv said:

That's a generalization... I have watched shows where the dub was just as good as the sub, but yes you do often find that the dub is often very different from the sub, sometimes to the point that you wonder if the dub translator was watching the same show.

Oh, and Netflix does not have only dub'd shows...I've recently watched The Third, Angel Beats! and Elfen Lied, for instance, via Netflix all sub'd
Nov 16, 2011 6:39 PM

May 2011
Sir_Lexa said:
Or then you watch Fullmetal alchemist brotherhood and realize you don't need to watch anything else again.

This. I recommend you watch some of the other series first before you watch this. It will really set your standards high and you may never be pleased with an anime EVER again. I took a long break after I completed it and I still feel that way.
Nov 16, 2011 6:44 PM

Mar 2009
Pop over to
http://myanimelist.net/forum/index.php?board=16

Tell us which anime you have enjoyed and we'll help you find similar stuff.

Tell us what kind of Tv, movies and books you like and we'll help you find anime of a similar theme.

Welcome to anime and welcome to MAL.
-animeS - The plural of anime is anime. More than one deer is still deer. There is no damn "s".
-epic |ˈepik| noun•a work portraying heroic deeds/adventures covering an long period of time - adjective • heroic/grand in scale or character
Active Military, Prior Service, and Veteran's Anime Club
http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=25937&time=1299710079
Nov 16, 2011 6:49 PM

Jan 2008
Welcome.

I'd personally suggest using this thread itself as a stepping stone. Open up people's user profiles via those who have commented here, check out their lists and favorites and see if anything catches your interest.

If you do that, then you're at least likely to find a selection of good things (although not all of them will be to your taste) which MAL's users have liked a fair amount.

I'd also suggest using the recommendation forum here on MAL, and there's at least one large recommendation club that's still generally active. Some of us are rather social people too, so if you can find the right people they'll be happy to help you out. As with any site, there'll be trolls and idiots around (in fact, you may be thinking I'm one of them right now).

There's plenty out there and a lot of fantastic shows for fans of any genre. You just need to sift through the seas of mediocrity to find the gems you're looking for.
Nov 16, 2011 7:39 PM

May 2010
LmfaoADoing said:
Akai-Ryuusei said:
Slurpentine said:

I like this guy
Nov 16, 2011 9:03 PM

Aug 2011
Whatever you do, watch School Days.
Nov 16, 2011 9:21 PM

Apr 2009
go to the "Top anime" section of the anime section in MAL

then select "most popular"
Nov 16, 2011 9:35 PM

Mar 2009
mitch3315 said:
mitch3315 said:
This my dear is a troll. Come to think of it, so is School Days.

rkell48 said:
go to the "Top anime" section of the anime section in MAL

then select "most popular"
Popular doesn't always = good. Good doesn't always = popular.
Some popular and/or highly rated stuff that is good:

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Legend of the Galactic Heroes (An old but excellent series. File away for later.)
Code Geass
Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuiokuhen (Also a bit old but excellent production values to go along with an excellent story.)
Death Note
Great Teacher Onizuka (Old but loads of fun)
Cowboy Bebop (A little old but excellent. Feels as if the episodes are random but don't let it fool you. Second season does a 180 and kicks butt.)
Monster (Slow and a little heavy but what a great mystery thriller.)
Princess Mononoke (Straight up Awesome)

Others will no doubt disagree or be outraged that I omitted one of their favs. ;-)

If you need suggestions specific to Netflix, let me know. I've seen about everything they have to offer.
-animeS - The plural of anime is anime. More than one deer is still deer. There is no damn "s".
-epic |ˈepik| noun•a work portraying heroic deeds/adventures covering an long period of time - adjective • heroic/grand in scale or character
Active Military, Prior Service, and Veteran's Anime Club
http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=25937&time=1299710079
Nov 16, 2011 9:50 PM

Jun 2011
Isn't Monster on Netflix? And is it dubbed or subbed?
@OP,
Well the best way to do it is to look at your favorite genre's of TV/movies.
And find anime in that genre. Then when you are ready, venture out into more genre's. There's always the recommendation which helps big time.
Nov 17, 2011 12:07 AM

Nov 2011
Well if your into shounen/ action type animes, then I recommend One Piece, Fairy Tail, Bleach, Full Metal Alchemist, Ao no Exorcist. But if you also like some shoujos/ romance and comedy then I recommend Ouran Highschool, Kaichou wa maid-sama, Toradora, Bakuman, and Kimi Ni Todoke. Well these are animes I've seen and I think are pretty good.
Nov 17, 2011 12:30 AM

Jul 2011
I'm fairly new and inexperienced myself. Basically when I started I pick a few of the anime at random in the top 25 on this site and that worked out extremely well as I watched Legends of the Galactic Heroes which for me personally, was one of the best shows I've ever watched.

Then I add to my plan to watch list the recommendations user's have submitted, after I finish a anime that I enjoyed, then I went and made a forum post in the recommendations section to get some user input. Which worked out extremely well and I've watched some shows I found very good, although still have not seen many.

Now I also use the compatability game in the casual forums, which lets me see people I have a high rating with, that allows me to look at people with similiar/differing tastes and find new things.

The best advise I was given though was not to limit myself to a set genre of anime. I can't even remember who told me that now, but I should probably go back and thank them for it. =P
rekindledflameNov 17, 2011 1:00 AM

Nov 17, 2011 12:39 AM
Nov 2011
Well, hellow there. My criterion is simple, download every top listed anime here at MAL and then watch them randomly. I don't believe in recommendations. I sometimes watch stuff which are not rated high but are given high points in reviews. There's also one thing, don't forbid yourself to only dubbed anime or subbed anime. Rather, watch both. That way, you'd enjoy the vast anime universe a lot more.

Also, never watch School days. It's horrible.
Nov 17, 2011 12:57 AM
Mar 2011
LmfaoADoing said:
Akai-Ryuusei said:
Slurpentine said:

why is it

Nov 17, 2011 2:47 AM
May 2009
Just start from recommendations from the anime you've seen. or Browse the genre's or studios for something you might like take your time.
Nov 17, 2011 2:49 AM

Mar 2009
If the storyline interests you, then try watching it. Don't watch something just because everyone says it's good if it really doesn't interest you at all.
Nov 17, 2011 6:29 AM

Nov 2007
I usually check the synopsis. If it looks like it fits my interests, I'll try to obtain it and watch it.

If you want help to find a series to watch next, the Anime and Manga Recommendation board is a good place to start, and you're welcome send me a message for some recommendations as well.

Nov 17, 2011 7:19 AM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
lisnoire said:
Others will no doubt disagree or be outraged that I omitted one of their favs. ;-)

I'm shocked, shocked to find that none of my favorites are on your list!

;)
Nov 17, 2011 11:45 AM

Sep 2010
lisnoire said:
Popular doesn't always = good. Good doesn't always = popular.
Some popular and/or highly rated stuff that is good:

Well new guys have to start somewhere in order to develop their taste for anime and starting with shows/movies that are generally accepted to be "good" is a fine way to begin. Allowing the new guy to read about the top anime and then decide what to watch will help him learn to separate the wheat from the chaff sooner than just giving him a specific list of anime to watch.

In order to feel less overwhelmed you have to know what yo want and look for it, if you don't know what you want then just dive in and get yourself sorted.

Nov 17, 2011 8:54 PM

Apr 2011
Welcome to MAL and to the world of anime :) I'd recommend looking into the same genres you like in other media; if you like comedy, sci-fi, fantasy or even pr0n, guess what, almost everything has an equivalant in anime (unless you're into stoner comedies or one of the sub-genres Japanese culture frowns upon).

As for the dub-versus-sub debate, it's really up to the individual. Viewed objectively most Japanese VAs put much more emotion into their linereads than their English counterparts, but a lot of foreign viewers don't speak Japanese. If you can read fast enough to scan the words and then go back to what's happening on the screen, awesome. If not, dubs are good for beginners. As you get into more and more series, though, and your interest becomes piqued by more recent shows (you can even watch what aired in Japan earlier today, and for free), you'll find yourself forced to try subtitled whether you want to or not.

And if none of that works for you, just click on different user's names and check out our favorites or the high scorers on our lists. :) I'm sure you'll find something you like out there. Have fun!
Nov 17, 2011 9:53 PM

Aug 2009
Honestly, what I did when I started out was I went through the Top Anime list to see what everyone else liked, and I went from there. And the it branches out into recommendations for the anime that you really like, and on and on.

It can get pretty overwhelming, especially when I have 20 different anime downloaded and waiting when I have 20 that I'm already watching. But just take it slow and ease your way into it. :3
Nov 17, 2011 10:07 PM

Sep 2010
I've never thought about it like that... I mean, there are lots of just about every entertainment...
Nov 17, 2011 10:10 PM

Aug 2011
you watched angel beats with netflix? that means it was dubbed.. WATCH IT AGAIN i joke

some recommendations, a good website to watch it on would be.. well im pretty sure im not allowed to say it in a thread

fun
to aru kagaku no railgun
kaichou wa maid sama
special a
ouran high school
Kami nomi zo shiru secai
suzumiya haruhi 2009

sad
AnoHana
Mahou shoujo madoka magica
steins;gate
vampire knight - not the best out there

fighting
bleach
fairy tail
blood-c
black lagoon
katekyo hitman reborn
Nov 18, 2011 6:44 AM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
JigokuNoMegami said:
you watched angel beats with netflix? that means it was dubbed.. WATCH IT AGAIN i joke

Actually, I watched it on netflix just a few weeks ago and subtitles were available, and that's how I watched it.

Didn't watch the dub version to compare, so I don't know how different it is.
CratexNov 18, 2011 9:15 AM
Nov 18, 2011 8:19 AM

Nov 2011
I really just looked at the recommendations from other members on the anime i did enjoy.
And i just look at peoples list to and see what they enjoyed and have a look into it myself :)
Nov 18, 2011 11:56 AM

Dec 2010
welcome to anime.

I recommend starting out making blind buys from right stuf and amazon. Start out investing about 1/4 of your monthly salary on anything that sound fun or has a cool cover. Try to get ones that have a counter as they are likely out of print and will shoot up into ridiculous levels of the price sphere and then you will say things like "I really wished I had purchased Nanoha when it was cheap, I thought it would be around a long time" Don't forget manga too, although you can do like other people and eat cheetos and then go read the manga at the bookstore (don't do that, that is why Borders closed).

Eventually you will find characters that you really like and then you will need to start buying art and figures from amiami and hobbysearch. Anything that you find moe (cute) or sexy you will need to have and it will start piling up on top of your piles of manga and anime. Then perhaps you will adopt a character as your waifu and get a dakimakura. By this time you will be spending half your paycheck instead of just a fourth, but it won't matter because you don't really leave the house too often anyway. You might get laid off from your job but you will have plenty to keep you occupied. Happy collecting!
Nov 18, 2011 1:25 PM

Sep 2011
Sir_Lexa said:

I would highly recommend watching the 2003 "Fullmetal Alchemist" series BEFORE Brotherhood which is also avaliable on Netflix I believe.

nv said:

It depends on the anime. Most of the dubbed stuff on netflix is generally accepted as good imo. Angel Beats and Fullmetal Alchemist are some of them. What I do is go on the ANN (Animenewsnetwork) website. They have reviews where they grade an anime's Sub and Dub separately. That combined with a google search and you can usually get a pretty good idea of how good a dub is.
Nov 18, 2011 1:31 PM

Aug 2011
You're a new anime fan, so, first, start with mainstream anime.

Click here for the top favourited shows.

I have no idea whether you're a guy or a gal, but I think I can only help you if you're a guy, since I have no idea what girls like (besides anything pink).

Hmm... once you've watched mainstream, you may start watching REAL anime. Like my highly rated ones (8+/10) :P
Nov 18, 2011 1:39 PM
Mar 2011
Tiago97 said:

I have no idea whether you're a guy or a gal, but I think I can only help you if you're a guy, since I have no idea what girls like (besides anything pink).

Hmm... once you've watched mainstream, you may start watching REAL anime. Like my highly rated ones (8+/10) :P

the ideas of mainstream if different in eaches eyes

Nov 18, 2011 3:43 PM

Aug 2009
Tiago97 said:

Telling him to start out mainstream is like handing him a loaded gun. NEVER start someone out with mainstream. Because mainstream will usually turn them into the worst kind of fan.

Just saiyan.

Edit: Also, I take offense to the "anything pink" comment. :P

More topics from this board

» What is the user above you known for? v11 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kunii - Oct 22, 2022

1258 by viraat_pirate »»
17 seconds ago

» What animal is the user above you? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

quintessentially - Dec 15, 2016

6616 by MitsukiHimeka »»
24 seconds ago

» Would you date the user above? v4 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Tensho - Sep 23, 2019

8194 by NextUniverse »»
29 seconds ago

» This or That? v6 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kunii - May 6, 2022

5825 by NextUniverse »»
1 minute ago

» A - Z Pokémon ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

sunsetocean - Jul 25, 2021

8805 by Rizz_Khalifa »»
2 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.