Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 24, 2008 3:00 PM

Apr 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
That sure left me with some questions. Like how much did the nurse and other teacher actually know about Wind Users and also what was the deal with Yukio? I did like seeing grown up Nao doing fine though.

...even a saint needs a soldier to do the dirty work.
May 7, 2013 2:51 AM

Jan 2013
Why the hell didn't anyone else comment on the final episode discussion?

Anyways, this gets a 7/10 and I believe it's rating on MAL is about right.

Didn't explore enough about the wind users, how their power works, and what the limits to their powers are.

Still it had a nice atmosphere and a few really really good episodes.

I tend to be hasher towards slice of life anime like this, most of them end up with 7/10.
Jun 1, 2013 8:08 PM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
yea, this final episode seemed like it just suddenly wanted to develop a large pile of plot ideas, and then realized it had to end the story and cut things off. Rather unsatisfying.

Unusual idea and story line and it should get points for that. It just had a lot of rough edges.
Aug 7, 2014 12:34 PM

Nov 2013
While the guy above was a bit harsh, he has a point. It's a shame that people are overlooking the underlying themes of each episode. This anime has a lot more depth than people realize.

I'll admit that there was one thing I didn't like about this episode. The randomly scattered scenes of Nao in the future were a bit awkward and unneeded, because we know she'll grow up anyway. It was nice learning that Miki and Jun are still together though.

I thought we learned plenty about how the wind users' power works. It develops as a result from joy in the heart; it becomes stronger when that joy is magnified, and becomes weaker when that joy disappears or conflicts with other emotions. It's a somewhat abstract explanation that is hinted at throughout the series, but I thought it was more appropriate than hearing some detailed, "scientific" explanation about how the wind power works.

I'm glad we got to see Yukio again, since her inner turmoil in episode 2 interested me but was never really expanded upon. In this episode, it is still left unclear; what we do learn is that she has come to term with her thoughts, because she says good-bye to Taiki and finally ends their complicated relationship. I'm guessing the wedding she attended that day made her realize that her strange long-distance relationship with Taiki wasn't what she wanted, so she set out for a wedding of her own. The tide had turned for her — in fact, the "sound of waves signaling the tide's turning" was so strong that her mere arrival somehow enhanced the power of the wind users in the town. I also found it interesting how her arrival and departure mirrored the story of the hag of Samuto.

Also, the last scene was quite nice; their jumping off the rooftop symbolized a sort of rite of passage for them.
Sep 24, 2014 8:57 PM

Nov 2012
Very good slice-of-life series. Too bad most of the subtlety got overlooked.
Mar 26, 2015 5:53 PM

Oct 2012
Hmm, the last episode is definitely the weakest in the series as it's the only episode that felt completely unfocused to me, especially compared to how solid every other episode was. It really seemed like the writers were trying to cram all of the plot into just 20 minutes, so the future scenes and the scene with Yukio and the cats just came across as confusing. Far more than it needed to be for a final episode. It probably required another 2 or 3 episodes to clearly explain what was happening throughout this episode, which is a shame as the ideas about how the wind powers work and the significance of Yukio were rather interesting in the end. In fact, I think the series would have been much better off not touching those plot points again at all, as I felt it would be much more fitting and in line with the tone of the rest of the show.

Tienjt said:
I also found it interesting how her arrival and departure mirrored the story of the hag of Samuto.

Yeah, I guess this makes sense, but the role of Yukio and the relationship she shares with Taiki still feel unclear to me.

An unfortunately unsatisfactory ending to what has been an amazingly unique series with some truly memorable scenes. I adored the art style, with the kind of cut-out feel to the backgrounds (which I'm sure I also saw in Kyousougiga) and the warm, but somehow grounded atmosphere, created by the stellar soundtrack and directing which often reminded me of Aria. I liked the character designs and the simpleness of them allowed for some great animation, but I can see why others would dislike it.

Slice of life at its very best and criminally underrated on MAL.
KoybzJul 16, 2015 6:45 PM
Feb 27, 2016 10:39 PM
Jul 2014
Tien said:
While the guy above was a bit harsh, he has a point. It's a shame that people are overlooking the underlying themes of each episode. This anime has a lot more depth than people realize.

I'll admit that there was one thing I didn't like about this episode. The randomly scattered scenes of Nao in the future were a bit awkward and unneeded, because we know she'll grow up anyway. It was nice learning that Miki and Jun are still together though.

I thought we learned plenty about how the wind users' power works. It develops as a result from joy in the heart; it becomes stronger when that joy is magnified, and becomes weaker when that joy disappears or conflicts with other emotions. It's a somewhat abstract explanation that is hinted at throughout the series, but I thought it was more appropriate than hearing some detailed, "scientific" explanation about how the wind power works.

I'm glad we got to see Yukio again, since her inner turmoil in episode 2 interested me but was never really expanded upon. In this episode, it is still left unclear; what we do learn is that she has come to term with her thoughts, because she says good-bye to Taiki and finally ends their complicated relationship. I'm guessing the wedding she attended that day made her realize that her strange long-distance relationship with Taiki wasn't what she wanted, so she set out for a wedding of her own. The tide had turned for her — in fact, the "sound of waves signaling the tide's turning" was so strong that her mere arrival somehow enhanced the power of the wind users in the town. I also found it interesting how her arrival and departure mirrored the story of the hag of Samuto.

Also, the last scene was quite nice; their jumping off the rooftop symbolized a sort of rite of passage for them.

Nicely said! I agree with everything written above, so I'll just copy-paste it!
Mar 19, 2016 6:29 PM

Mar 2012
This show is excellent.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Jul 21, 2016 10:08 AM

Apr 2009
This show is a rare slice of life genre for me. I'm so happy that I was able to finish this since it was aired in Animax a long time ago.

7/10 is not bad.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 13, 2017 9:00 AM
Nov 2015
not a favorite.
A grown up Nao thinks back ab junior high?
Why did Yukio come to say goodbye??
This ep may have sth to say ab being adult, growing up ... but I don't get it
Jun 13, 2017 9:03 AM
Nov 2015
Koybz said:
Hmm, the last episode is definitely the weakest in the series as it's the only episode that felt completely unfocused to me, especially compared to how solid every other episode was. It really seemed like the writers were trying to cram all of the plot into just 20 minutes, so the future scenes and the scene with Yukio and the cats just came across as confusing. Far more than it needed to be for a final episode. It probably required another 2 or 3 episodes to clearly explain what was happening throughout this episode, which is a shame as the ideas about how the wind powers work and the significance of Yukio were rather interesting in the end. In fact, I think the series would have been much better off not touching those plot points again at all, as I felt it would be much more fitting and in line with the tone of the rest of the show.

Tienjt said:
I also found it interesting how her arrival and departure mirrored the story of the hag of Samuto.

Yeah, I guess this makes sense, but the role of Yukio and the relationship she shares with Taiki still feel unclear to me.

An unfortunately unsatisfactory ending to what has been an amazingly unique series with some truly memorable scenes. I adored the art style, with the kind of cut-out feel to the backgrounds (which I'm sure I also saw in Kyousougiga) and the warm, but somehow grounded atmosphere, created by the stellar soundtrack and directing which often reminded me of Aria. I liked the character designs and the simpleness of them allowed for some great animation, but I can see why others would dislike it.

Slice of life at its very best and criminally underrated on MAL.

Yay to Kyousougiga. The white outline. the colors.
Jun 13, 2017 9:07 AM
Nov 2015
Tien said:

THANKSS!
yr words should be included in the re-release of this anime or sth.
I'll watch this along side ep 2 again to make sure. I know they have a complicated relationship but don't really feel anything for them cuz they together got so little screen time.
Aug 5, 2017 5:08 AM
Sep 2009
Sean_Nessman said:
Why did Yukio come to say goodbye??

Yukio was in town for a friend's wedding.
Apr 25, 2018 7:28 AM

Mar 2016
Re-watching: Unlike some others, I didn't have a problem with this episode. I think thematically it was everything a final episode should have been for a series like this. It ties itself in with the story discussed at the beginning with that bittersweet feeling that the series often deals in. I can't help but wish there were more episodes, I wonder what other kinds of stories the staff would have come up with.

Truly an incredible, inspiring and unique series. It was a pleasure to be able to watch this twice, and I'm sure I will return again.
Sep 19, 2018 3:27 PM

Oct 2015
So Yukio came and left so suddenly, but the was no point in her visit. So Makino sensei now believes Nao's story about the existence of wind manipulators. But I don't think that wind came from the doctor, I think it was Yukio's but I don't know why.

Overall it was a good slice of life, the characters are good especially Ryouko and the animation may be bad to some but to me it was great.

7/10.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Apr 30, 2021 1:01 AM

Aug 2015
A boring show overall. The idea of the wind and its symbolism could be interesting, but the mystery about its control should have been kept longer. The episodes are too uneven with flat characters and not really interesting interactions, it's very basic. But I recognize that the characters act like kids of their age.

This last episode brings a lot of questions without bringing real answers. Since this is an original show, I think I'll have to settle for this ending.

On the more technical aspects, the backgrounds were original, but I don't think it was wise to adopt such an artistic direction on such a contemplative series. The chara designs are not always very expressive, some lacks.
Jun 18, 2021 4:24 PM

Jun 2019
My 135th completed series chronologically.

For the record, I extended it a 6/10 rating.

May 16, 2022 12:05 PM

Jul 2019
I will be honest. This episode had a lot of stuff it that simply felt out of place due to my own attention span. Which is a little sad since yes there is a lot more to this anime than just airbending.

But I liked how Yukio cleared up her issues. I agree with above users that the wind is completely tied to emotion. Which seemed to be a recurring thing from like episode 2 iirc.

Anyway, this anime altogether is pretty good good stuff for sure. I like it a lot more than I thought I would. It is peak simplicity but my own incompetence didn't allow me to enjoy this to the fullest, or at least, with everything to work with. Oh well. Perhaps I will rewatch it one day. This took too long to watch anyway, but I am glad I finally got done with it.

9/10.
Feb 6, 2023 3:07 PM

Sep 2020
I couldn't really get into it until halfway through but this was a really good show. The art style was off-putting at first but after finishing I grew to appreciate it as another part of the underlying wind theme: rough and not well-defined. Those black eyes are still creepy, though!

Anyways, this was a good finale but it felt too early and left me craving more. 9/10
"You can't decide the future, but I'm going to re-educate you in the past!" - Erna Kurtz
Feb 14, 2023 5:21 AM

Aug 2017
Yukio and Taiki on the rooftop, Shinya Ohira again? :p Pleasant way to finish such a nice series. I wonder if the nurse tried to nudge the other teacher into finally going to Malaysia after all? :D
Aug 13, 2023 10:37 PM
Dust collector

Sep 2021
Yeah, I think the last episode was the worst. I didn’t really get what was the purpose of all the things they showed here and there wasn’t even a solid conclusion. The only positive thing was that…. we know how Nao looks as a grown up.
Pretty disappointing if you consider that every other episode aside from the first two were pretty much stand alone.
Overall still a very cute and chill slice of life series, sad it is overlooked.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Windy Tales Episode 10 Discussion

tainteddonut - Jul 20, 2008

12 by melanpon »»
Jan 16, 7:44 AM

Poll: » Windy Tales Episode 1 Discussion

tainteddonut - Jun 29, 2008

26 by Bebop_the_Bear »»
Apr 11, 2023 6:26 PM

Poll: » Windy Tales Episode 9 Discussion

tainteddonut - Jul 11, 2008

15 by SlammyHammy »»
Feb 10, 2023 8:50 PM

Poll: » Windy Tales Episode 8 Discussion

tainteddonut - Jul 10, 2008

13 by SlammyHammy »»
Feb 10, 2023 8:43 PM

Poll: » Windy Tales Episode 7 Discussion

tainteddonut - Jul 9, 2008

10 by SlammyHammy »»
Feb 10, 2023 8:37 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.