3It was OK
9.3%
2Disliked it
2.8%
1Hated it
0.8%
Average 4.5
389 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jul 11, 2008 3:02 PM

Jan 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This classic is opened and closed by two of the most funniest scenes I've ever seen in anime.

A bunch of girls being kidnapped by pirates, and two pilots dogfighting then boxing each other infront of a crazy crowd.

Just genius.

"Better a pig than a fascist." - Porco Rosso

Anime Quote of 1992?
KinetaSep 9, 2012 7:54 PM
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Oct 29, 2008 2:36 AM

May 2008
This is easily one of the top anime movies. It's one of my favorites.
Nov 8, 2008 1:05 PM

Sep 2008
I like his other films better.
Dec 10, 2008 10:01 PM
Sep 2007
This anime looks back at films like Casablanca with the famous line in the Moroccan nightclub, "Of all the gin joints in all of the towns in all of the world, she walks into mine." Humphrey Bogart's character says of his lost and one and only love in the world. This classic World War Two film about espionage and war and petty corrupt politics in battle against the anti heroes of the local smugglers, thieves and crooks who had their own piratical code of ethics, is clearly the source of this film's spirit. Bogart, a world class actor, was not a pretty man. He was a man's man with harsh features and more like the common man of the day, struggling to survive by his wits. The main character, in this film, Porco Rossi, by his dialogue and by his mannerisms emulates Bogart's character in Casablanca so beautifully. So we are looking at an anime film which is showing respect for the great films of yesteryear. With its emphasis on stereotypical characterizations, Porco Rossi is spoofing the old films of the thirties and forties. All the adventure takes place in a world where there was still a vast area of 'unknown territory' in the world from the perspective of Western civilization, the Europeans and Americans. The foreign countries to the East where pirates are still active, etc, where like a magnet to the film makers of that era, and it was a rich field to draw from storywise. Porco Rossi is rich in the techniques of that era from the characterizations to the dialogue to the themes --- all of what constitutes great literature. It is a delightful eyeful physically and spiritually.
Dec 11, 2008 7:00 AM

May 2008
Utopianwizard hits it straight on. This is easily one of the most mature things that Miyazaki has made. It plays homage to the old style perfectly, which is a very admirable thing.
Mar 17, 2009 6:59 PM

Mar 2009
Of course itmost mature Miyazaki's film.

And about qoutes, there is one more that I love:
"Pig, that does not fly is only ordinary pig" ^^
Jun 28, 2009 3:57 PM

Apr 2008
utopianwizard said:
WALL OF TEXT CRITS YOU FOR OVER 9000!

(3 posts above this one)

The best post i've read on MAL yet! ...Thanks!

Makes me glad to see that intellectual people do exist on a site like this!

Oh and the movie will fit right into my "classic section" in my dvd collection ..
i'd rate it 11/10 if it would be possible, to bad I cant do that
Aug 9, 2009 3:22 PM

May 2008
At first I was like: Well, it's Miyazaki so it should be pretty good at least.

By the end I was like: FUCK YES, YOU ARE THE MANLIEST MIYAZAKI FILM EVER!

Seriously, this was on par with Nausicaa and Laputa, which is saying something considering those are definitely among the best animated films I've ever seen. The last twenty minutes were simply brilliant, the spoofing of older films was excellently done, and Porco and Fio easily rank among my favorite Miyazaki characters. Why does virtually no one talk about this film?
Nov 5, 2009 8:00 PM

Feb 2009
Porco is such a pig... I love him!

As for the movie... Great story, superb characters and amazing visuals as expected from Miyazaki. The movie has a lot of funny moments and interesting scenes, specially the quotes from Porco. It's a simple, funny, intelligent and romantic movie that I would recommend to anyone.

A Pig's gotta fly!
Apr 5, 2010 5:08 AM
Feb 2010
I gotta say, this is horribly undderated. 8.01??? I liked it the first tome but now everytime I think of it I like it more. Easily the best anime i've seen and if compared with other Miyazaki films, it owns.

You gotta admit, some of his other films got pretty boring, didn't have much comedy, had stupid dues ex machina endings...

But porco rosso gave us great characters, story, ending, the whole deal.

The only anime I've bothered to put on my favourites list.
Apr 29, 2010 4:29 PM
May 2009
Underrated-maybe, overrated-hell no. The story's pretty catchy and there wasn't a single scene when i felt bored.
The matureness wasn't over the top, it was just the right amount.

Good job again, Miyazaki
Oct 23, 2010 3:19 PM

May 2009
Easily one of the most memorable opening scenes ever. Those 15 little girls and the gang of bumbling pirates were hilarious. And that really was just the beginning of a thoroughly entertaining, well paced, action adventure stories with a number of characters - topped by Fio and Porco - you can't help but love. One of Miyazaki's better films, which says a ton about Porco Rosso.
Oct 24, 2010 2:23 AM

Jan 2008
I read that Miyazaki is working on a sequel to this. I'm very intrigued!
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Oct 24, 2010 2:34 AM

Apr 2008
Beatnik said:
If this is true, this would be the best anime news i've ever heard.

Jan 26, 2011 7:20 PM

Jul 2010
Well, this is my first Miyazaki film and I must say that I am thoroughly impressed. One of the reviews on the front page says that this movie really is all about the execution, and I feel that hits the nail square on the head. Miyazaki takes a fairly straightforward, simple plot--a bounty hunting pig on a quest to regain his honour--adds a huge load of style, lovable characters, wonderful animation (it's freakin 1992!) and music, and churns out a work of art.

The characters are all great--from Porco as the weathered and jaded old man, to Fio as the adorable and energetic kid, and even Curtis the womanizing sleaze, Miyazaki portrays them all in a very likable manner. Especially Porco and Fio. All their moments were pure gold.

Being my first Miyazaki movie, this is also my first proper instance of hearing Joe Hisaishi, and I can definitely see why he receives so much praise. The score is just so well integrated into the movie, evoking precisely the right moods at the right times. Initially I thought that the final confrontation between the two pilots could've had heavier and more combat-like music, but ultimately the whole fight proved rather comical.

Lots of nice themes being thrown around by Miyazaki too, none of which I felt was overwrought. The pig metaphor was done to just the right degree, and likewise Fio's role in completely shattering the damsel in distress archetype was executed nicely. Overall, the great amount of thematic development adds A LOT to a very simple story, and as such I can see why this film would appeal to both an adult and youth audience. Definitely reminds of Pixar and older Disney works.

In the end, there really isn't much to criticize. Perhaps the climax could've been built up more, maybe have a few of the slower parts sped up a bit, and also in a few instances the English VA's could've been more expressive. But all in all these complaints are very minor, and overall the movie was simply a pleasure to watch. I am certainly looking forwards to seeing more Miyazaki films.
Feb 1, 2011 4:06 AM

Sep 2008
Glad someone appreciates this masterpiece. Its unusual for someone to start Miyazaki with porco rosso, since its among his more overlooked projects.

MisterSaito said:
Beatnik said:
If this is true, this would be the best anime news i've ever heard.

according to dsthyk, thts false news. Although IMBD already made a page about porco rosso, I think its more likely that its just a rumor.
eyerokFeb 1, 2011 4:12 AM
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Mar 24, 2011 11:27 PM

Aug 2009
The song Gina sang at the beginning of the movie seriously reminded me of Edith Piaf, the voice was incredibly reminiscent of hers.
I really enjoyed Porco Rosso.
'I'd rather be a pig than a fascist.' Bullseye.
May 23, 2011 11:44 PM
Feb 2011
I watched the dub of this film. I dont know if thats the only version available or not. I looked for the sub. (-_-) The voice acting was pretty good. Probably the best i've heard for a Ghibli film. I liked Porco's voice.

I felt this movie went too fast. That usually happens with dubs for me. i hate it. I felt like the whole pig thing didnt really get elaborated on enough. like.. why IS he a pig?

More typical miyazaki heroines... LOVED the little scene of a younger Gina and Porco and her dress flares up. very cute...also the scene where Porco talks about his dead pilot friends...and the cute school girls at the beginning. (^^

i gave it an 8. not Miyazaki's best, but unique and very funny and entertaining. Even though its got elaboration issues.
May 26, 2011 9:23 PM

Dec 2009
MaedhrostheTall said:
I felt this movie went too fast. That usually happens with dubs for me. i hate it. I felt like the whole pig thing didnt really get elaborated on enough. like.. why IS he a pig?

I'm still wondering the same thing, but other than that, this was unique like always, I love Miyazaki's films (:
Aug 19, 2011 6:32 PM
Jul 2018
While I enjoyed the film, something felt lacking to me. I can't really put my finger on it, either. It just couldn't hold my attention, and I ended up watching it in three sittings. I think I'll have to revisit it some day and watch it all in one go, see how I feel about it then.
Nov 9, 2011 6:35 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Wonderful film. Very subtle in its criticism of war and populism.

I wish the ending would have been a bit less rushed. Other than that, perfect.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Nov 20, 2011 2:00 AM

Sep 2008
Mon_Diamond said:
MaedhrostheTall said:

I'm still wondering the same thing, but other than that, this was unique like always, I love Miyazaki's films (:

The reason he is a pig is cuz he felt like one when he was the only one of his squad to survive; he blamed himself for not saving them or surviving when his friends didn't and felt ashamed for that. I think the main theme here is you become what you believe you are. In the end he redeems himself and gains back his confidence.
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Nov 25, 2011 8:12 PM
Feb 2011

Aaaand I'm back commenting after 6 months. I just watched this film again today (I've lost count of how many times I've watched it since that time when I made the first post.) and I'm officially cementing my belief that this movie is totally awesome. I didn't pick up on much the first time. I read my old post and felt dumb. ^^;

I understand why Porco is a pig. The film isn't rushed at all. Thanks koreye for trying to help. Did anyone else get that odd but strangely likeable feeling that there was so much more to Marco (Porco)'s history, and his and Gina's story that wasn't told? Like they have a history thats kept hidden? I think thats why I love this film so much.

The scene of Porco's story where he sees the band of airplanes and watches his friends go up to them is just so haunting.. Loved it.
Nov 26, 2011 7:57 PM
Aug 2011
I went into this Studio Ghibli film a bit weary. Out of every beautiful film I have seen this one seemed like it might be out of place. I was wrong, this film stands firm.

I have to say I was a little disappointed at the open ending. Though I don't mind filling in the blanks myself and I appreciate that kind of art. I still enjoy being filled in.

Overall this was a another great film. 8/10
Mar 4, 2012 3:37 PM

Jan 2012
I liked it, only it didn't feel like a Miyazaki film. 7/10
Mar 4, 2012 4:04 PM

Feb 2012
NateXsama said:

All that flying didn't tip you off? ^_^
Mar 6, 2012 6:38 PM
Mar 2009
I really like most of it and would have voted a 5 rather than a 4 out of 5, were it not for the unnecessarily long macho-lame-o slugfest. That overly-long scene would be annoying if it were 30 seconds, and is much worse clocking in at much longer. I t just drags and drags and drags. Not real fond of showing the film to my kids mostly b/c that BS. I really don't want my boys thinking they should go around solving problems by having a fight devolving into a fisticuffs. ugh.
Mar 11, 2012 3:56 PM

Jan 2012
Hakuromatsu said:
NateXsama said:

All that flying didn't tip you off? ^_^

Flying aside, still didn't feel like a Miyazaki film, which was a let down.
Mar 15, 2012 8:19 PM

Oct 2010
NateXsama said:

Well, interestingly, it is probably the movie Miyazaki regards as the most personal of his work. In the details it's 100% Miyazaki. There is magical realism, there are flying machines, there is a pig... and in the story and characterization of the main character the political thoughts of the author are pretty fully shown. I think this is as close to be typical Miyazaki as, say, Spirited Away, the only thing that changes is the intended audience.
Apr 19, 2012 3:25 PM

Sep 2010
Simply G R E A T !!! I've just rewatched it, touching and very funny, what else???
Apr 29, 2012 2:54 AM
Jan 2010
Manly as FUCK
Jun 10, 2012 2:28 PM

Apr 2012
Although the ending was somewhat lackluster, that final post-credits shot of Porco flying toward the horizon with the film bidding us "The End" is enough for this viewer to shed a single manly tear in tribute. Porco Rosso is definitely one of the great characters of anime; a pig of his own mind who, like Cyrano de Bergerac, may be physically repellent, but demonstrates great sensitivity and honor in his actions; a free spirit who lives his passions and takes to the skies in pursuit of his dreams. It was refreshing to see a character in a Mizayaki film - whose work often encourages communal living and self-sacrifice - who embodies the spirit of individualism and recognizes the senselessness of blindly following authority at the cost of ones freedom.

"Better a pig than a fascist." You said it, Porco!

Beautiful film.
SymphoniusJun 10, 2012 2:32 PM
"Truth can always be found deep in the dungeon."
~ Balmung of the Azure Sky
Sep 24, 2012 10:16 PM

Feb 2010
utopianwizard said:
This anime looks back at films like Casablanca with the famous line in the Moroccan nightclub, "Of all the gin joints in all of the towns in all of the world, she walks into mine." Humphrey Bogart's character says of his lost and one and only love in the world. This classic World War Two film about espionage and war and petty corrupt politics in battle against the anti heroes of the local smugglers, thieves and crooks who had their own piratical code of ethics, is clearly the source of this film's spirit. Bogart, a world class actor, was not a pretty man. He was a man's man with harsh features and more like the common man of the day, struggling to survive by his wits. The main character, in this film, Porco Rossi, by his dialogue and by his mannerisms emulates Bogart's character in Casablanca so beautifully. So we are looking at an anime film which is showing respect for the great films of yesteryear. With its emphasis on stereotypical characterizations, Porco Rossi is spoofing the old films of the thirties and forties. All the adventure takes place in a world where there was still a vast area of 'unknown territory' in the world from the perspective of Western civilization, the Europeans and Americans. The foreign countries to the East where pirates are still active, etc, where like a magnet to the film makers of that era, and it was a rich field to draw from storywise. Porco Rossi is rich in the techniques of that era from the characterizations to the dialogue to the themes --- all of what constitutes great literature. It is a delightful eyeful physically and spiritually.

Just wonderful insights. Thank you.
Oct 29, 2012 8:49 PM

Oct 2008
Wow! This is just one of those movies I am kicking myself for not seeing sooner. Probably one of my favorite ghibli films.
Dec 23, 2012 12:59 AM

May 2012
It's going to be extremely hard to choose wether this or princess mononoke becomes my favourite Ghibli film. Truly an amazing movie!
Apr 4, 2013 11:19 AM

Mar 2011
Porco and Fio are amazing characters.
Apr 26, 2013 8:53 PM

Nov 2010
Veethorn said:
A Pig's gotta fly!
Funny thing is, if you were watching the same subs as me and talking about that same scene, that's not what he really said. He said if I'm not flying then I'm just a pig or something like that.

OT: It was an ok movie. Maybe partly because it was my first time, but I didn't think it was a great movie. It was pretty good and I liked most of it but like a lot of other Miyazaki films, I feel like nothing really happened and a lot of things were left without explanation.
Dec 29, 2013 7:18 PM

Mar 2013
A pig who can't fly is just a ordinary pig! 10/10
EL PSY KONGROO!!!
Dec 31, 2013 4:00 PM

Jun 2012
Probably the least favorite of mine from all of Miyazaki's works. Still was a great film though. Porco was getting all the bitches, I didnt like him that much though, Miyazaki doesnt seem to know how to portray a strong male lead, Fio was definitely the most intriguing character.

8/10
Does anyone know if that sequel rumor is true? Seems like Miyazaki has been "working" on it for a few years. I also read that Miyazaki announced he might write it now that hes retired from directing.
Feb 1, 2014 1:00 AM
Oct 2013
I got a very important question .....

can anyone tell me the soundtrack when Donald Curtis and marco are gonna fight and many people were gathering at the place where ppl were placing bets . the soundtrack is very joyful and happy . the soundtrack is played around 1:33:20
Feb 6, 2014 11:47 AM

Nov 2013
Maybe the Miyazaki I like the most. The story is simple, original and somehow romantic, the characters have a lot of dept, the set up during the Roaring Twenties gives this "good ol'time" feeling to the story, the musical theme is poetic and gorgeous, the french dub with the voice of Jean Reno as Porco is perfect ... I love it.

8.03 ... lol

I guess you need more explosions everywhere to get a good rank on MAL T_T
short_reviewFeb 6, 2014 11:53 AM
Apr 10, 2014 4:47 AM
Feb 2012
It was a cute story with a bittersweet but appropriate ending. One could certainly feel Miyazaki's presence there.
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one. - Albert Einstein
May 16, 2014 6:15 PM
Aug 2007
aghh, the ending was too sudden.. I really wanted to know more about Porco :/

Overall a very enjoyable movie though, probably the funniest of all Ghibli films. I loved the little girls that were getting kidnapped at the start, for example.

The little girl falling in love with an old man was a bit weird, but whatever.. Porco is a charming dude so I'll let them off..

Anyway, 9/10
Jun 25, 2014 7:47 AM

Nov 2013
Raitei said:
aghh, the ending was too sudden.. I really wanted to know more about Porco :/

Look closely and you'll see a certain "red plane" next to the dock of Gina's hotel just before the end of the movie ;)

The ending was designed to be open for most people, but in fact for people who use their eyes there is only one ending. That's why I love Miyazaki, he is always playing with the viewer.
Jun 28, 2014 7:51 AM

Oct 2013
Very good movie,it was funny and enjoyable 8/10 from me.

Jan 2, 2015 2:51 AM

Apr 2014
Well, it was a fine movie, not the best from Ghibli thou. ( In my opinion ofc! )
Wanted to know more about why Porco turned into pig.

8.5/10
Jan 26, 2015 8:45 PM

Jan 2008
I think Porco Rosso is quite underrated or maybe most people like other things. I believe that when people are looking for a Ghibli movie they're looking for something more fantasylike and they get disappointed when they finish Kurenai no Buta.

This has not a flying castle, or a moving one in that case, nor a cat bus. There was just a flying pig... okay, that didn't sound good, but it was more of a symbolic appereance. All right, a pig pilot, not flying pig. The thing is they were just normal people in a normal world: some making a living, others searching for fame, others trying to live peacefully by their ideals, others yearning for a love... the struggle after World War I, the interwar period.

I liked the characters, the music, the animation is great as expected of Ghibli, I liked the pirates; they were funny. I aslo liked the scenarios: Porco's hideout, the bar, the full of women aircraft workshop, the vast blue sky, and of course, the Adriatic Sea.

And the ending, well that's a secret between us who watched it. Right, Fio? ;D
Apr 3, 2015 6:21 PM

Jul 2009
Hmm, that was interesting! I definitely found it funny with loads of action ... and man, the music was AMAZING! The only thing I'm kind of sad about is how we didn't get to see any of the backstory ... like how he turned into a pig (the "curse") and such :( Plus I didn't think the romance with Fio was really necessary ... thought he would've gone back to Gina who ended up marrying his best friend earlier. Well, I guess that could've happened, it's a secret after all right? :P Great cast of characters though, seeing Fio lay it on to the pirates was pretty funny XD In the end, pretty good to watch, subtitles were a little distracting at times (though the songs that were sung were pretty legit) and the animation was obviously good, considering how old this is ... I guess yeah, I'm only still sad we didn't get to see more of his story :( Still, good to watch, as it came highly recommended from one of my friends. 8/10
May 4, 2015 11:06 AM

Jul 2013
This is the second best Ghibli film after Spirited Away imo!
Jun 23, 2015 10:21 AM

Jul 2009
I enjoyed this one a fair bit but it doesn't quite stand up there with the Ghibli greats. There were some great one liners from Porco Rosso (the best of which has been mentioned already here "I'd rather be a pig than a fascist") and I enjoyed the fact that this Ghibli film was obviously set in the real world in a recognisable point in history.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Dub Discussion -- THE OTHER ENGLISH DUB (Non-Disney, JAL 1992)

JTurner - Nov 13, 2015

0 by JTurner »»
Nov 13, 2015 10:15 PM

» About Gina

jose21 - Mar 4, 2014

1 by Rachmaninow »»
Apr 10, 2014 4:46 AM

» Dub Discussion

JTurner - Apr 2, 2010

11 by JTurner »»
Feb 12, 2014 2:51 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.