Forum Settings
Forums

Director Mizushima Tsutomu Replies to Criticism to Blood-C

New
Sep 18, 2011 9:55 AM

Feb 2008
Director Mizushima Tsutomu replied to critical comments from fans regarding the direction of Blood-C.

Question: Did you put an emphasis on the brutal scenes?
Mizushima: No, I didn't. I regret that such scenes appeared to be emphasized due to the censorship by the TV companies.

Question: The bleeding blood is spouting like tap water. Did you directed in that way because this is "Blood" series?
Mizushima: I know it's exaggerated too much, but I made the bleeding scenes unreal not to make the audience feel unpleasant. Being a "Blood" series is unrelated to the direction.

Question: I heard you intentionally direct the anime in a way to show it incongruous, but I think excessive unnaturalness will end up spoiling the anime and the audience will be bored. What do you think?
Mizushima: If you think Blood-C is boring, I feel really sorry for that. However, I'll keep on believing in my policy of direction since I don't know how to control the impression of the audience. Please don't take that I won't listen to the opinions from fans. Of course, I respect the reactions of the audience, but please let me sort out among them.

Source: Mizushima's blog
dtshykSep 20, 2011 1:29 AM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Sep 18, 2011 9:58 AM

Feb 2008
lol anything looks exaggerated when its censored. this IS a blood show......
Sep 18, 2011 9:59 AM

Nov 2008
Blood... Brutal Scenes... Why is this bad again?
Sep 18, 2011 10:03 AM

Feb 2009
Isnt controlling the impression of the audience the director's job?
He has guts to say that he'll do as he please but it clearly wasnt liked by the audience.
Sep 18, 2011 10:06 AM
Nov 2010
belatkuro said:
Isnt controlling the impression of the audience the director's job?
He has guts to say that he'll do as he please but it clearly wasnt liked by the audience.

I don't quite get it, as well...
Sep 18, 2011 10:08 AM

May 2009
dtshyk said:
Mizushima: If you think Blood-C is boring, I feel really sorry for that. However, I'll keep on believing in my policy of direction since I don't know how to control the impression of the audience. Please don't take that I won't listen to the opinions from fans. Of course, I respect the reactions of the audience, but please let me sort out among them.

AKA I'm incompetent as hell but you have to deal with it.
Sep 18, 2011 10:09 AM

Apr 2009
He... does what?
dtshyk said:
Director Mizushima Tsutomu Replys to Criticism to Blood-C

It's "replies" not "replys"...

Also - he may reply and explain things, but that won't change the fact that Blood-C is one of the worst anime I've ever watched. Everything is wrong with it, starting with animation, moving through the main heroine and her character, ending with the atmosphere-- or rather it's complete lack. God, it sure does suck.

Sep 18, 2011 10:14 AM

Jan 2010
I don't blame him for Blood-C being lousy, I blame CLAMP.

Fucking CLAMP.
Ok™
Sep 18, 2011 10:16 AM

Jun 2010
HAHAHAHAHA what a moron. He refuses to believe what a horrible show he has produced, living in his own carefree world. Just go be depressed already; your show bit the dust really bad.
Sep 18, 2011 10:23 AM

Jun 2009
I don't mind the blood, it is a blood series so what else do you expect.
Sep 18, 2011 10:28 AM

May 2007
I would like to know what exactly are the critical comments made by the Japanese audience, since by the nature of the questions answered it seems like what bothered them the most was simply the "incongruous" and "excessive unnaturalness" of the anime, which seemingly "emphasized" the brutal scenes of gore. Funny enough, since such "emphasized" scenes of carnage are what I consider the only redeeming factor this series has shown so far.
Sep 18, 2011 10:45 AM

Apr 2011
If the fans don't like it, then don't watch it. >.>
colemanH.png colemanh-1.png
Sep 18, 2011 10:48 AM

Jul 2010
Well I will give him kudos for addressing criticism head on I suppose.
Sep 18, 2011 10:51 AM

Apr 2010
well at least he's admitting that everyone is saying ti has problems... the blood parts is fine.. in fact if he took them at id be annoyed at the only thing other than the twins being decent in it...

"If only if only, the woodpecker cried, the bark on the tree was as soft as the sky" || ♪My mind, heart is broken♫
Sep 18, 2011 10:57 AM
CSS Wizard

Jul 2009
HAH!
"excessive unnaturalness", "exaggerated bloody scenes"... like THAT is something to worry about. What's really to worry about is that the anime has no story, no characters (well, there are people, but you can't call them "characters", the appropriate term would be "dolls") and that nothing really happens in it aside from every episode being identical to the last one...
the only good thing about this anime (well, you can't technically call it good) are the fight scenes, and they're censored! Hell yeah! And he says he's "sorry" if we think that Blood-C is boring, well how can you NOT get bored when the anime has absolutely NOTHING interesting in it.
I don't know what where the creators thinking when they made this, but it's probably one of the worst anime ever made. Too bad they ruined the perfect image of Blood+
Sep 18, 2011 10:59 AM

Nov 2008
I don't care about the gore, but it's really a shame he did a bad job with the unnatural atmosphere. In theory, it sounds like a very interesting idea and I did enjoy it for a while, but it just got boring at some point. If the characters were remotely likeable and that part of the show worked, it could've been really cool.
Sep 18, 2011 11:12 AM

Aug 2007
dtshyk said:

Question: The bleeding blood is spouting like tap water. Did you directed in that way because this is "Blood" series?
Mizushima: I know it's exaggerated too much, but I made the bleeding scenes unreal not to make the audience feel unpleasant. Being a "Blood" series is unrelated to the direction.

Well, this question is funny. Really. Too much blood. When Saya loose too much blood the stands as she doesn't lost too much blood.
Sep 18, 2011 11:30 AM

Mar 2011
SquChan said:
Mizushima is right. A good directer does things his own way and shouldn't listen to opinions from fans. If he would do that, then what would Blood-C be? Nothing but stupid fanservice, seriously. Don't say he's incompetent when you don't have any clue what being a director is like. And don't watch it if you think it's shit, don't waste time on it and watch series you like. Who in the whole world would do such a stupid thing like that? If you don't like it, it's your thing but don't decide that it's shit.

Everybody has their own preference, so it's up to the individual whether he thinks the show is shitty or not
And there's nothing wrong with criticism. Yes, I don't know how it feels to be a director, but I know that a director should know that his works will always be criticized. So what's wrong with people criticizing Blood-C? And shouldn't listen to the fans? I think he should listen to the fans to improve himself. Having his own unique appeal and trademark is good, but what's the use of that if most people don't like the show? If the show has a low rating? It will just give him a bad name. The show still needs to sell too so he can make a profit and make a living out of it. And why would people buy things they don't like? Being unique and all is good, but he also needs to make money too.
So I think the best thing he should do right now is listen to some of the criticism of Blood-C and take notes of them. Learn from them, and try to have a show that can both show his trademark and appeal the fans at the same time.
Sep 18, 2011 11:37 AM

Nov 2008
well id on't care cause i don't watch the show anyway
Sep 18, 2011 11:39 AM
Sep 2009
Might want to change that title :P
Sep 18, 2011 12:19 PM

Feb 2009
SquChan said:
Mizushima is right. A good directer does things his own way and shouldn't listen to opinions from fans. If he would do that, then what would Blood-C be? Nothing but stupid fanservice, seriously. Don't say he's incompetent when you don't have any clue what being a director is like. And don't watch it if you think it's shit, don't waste time on it and watch series you like. Who in the whole world would do such a stupid thing like that? If you don't like it, it's your thing but don't decide that it's shit.

anytime there is a news post about criticism it usually means the show sucks amiright?
PS as previously stated a directors will not be a director if he cant find a job because he does things his own way when they are horrible.
Sep 18, 2011 12:40 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Homestuck said:
Well I will give him kudos for addressing criticism head on I suppose.
Same here.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Sep 18, 2011 12:41 PM

Jun 2009
His replies make it sound as if there's nothing wrong with Blood-C other than nitpicks about it's "unnaturalness." Honestly, if that's all there was, then it wouldn't be a problem. But that's not how it is: Blood-C is just plain shit in every way imaginable.
Sep 18, 2011 12:50 PM

Jun 2008
The criticism should not be directed to the blood & gore, because that is what makes a Blood series a Blood series. Blood literally is the title of the show, without blood, the show would be nothing.

The criticism should be directed at:
>>the lack of plot which there is no plot at all
>>happy/feel-good story line (it is a Blood series for crying out loud!)
>>singing every episode which is very boring
>>every episode being almost identical
>>horrible character designs
>>too many censors
>>clueless Saya...completely ruined it for me
>>CLAMP
>>& so much more...blood/gore isn't the problem at all
Sep 18, 2011 12:57 PM
Sep 18, 2011 1:15 PM

Jan 2010
i havent watched blood+ other than small clips i saw on adult swim from time to time in the past but when I saw the first episode of Blood-C I instantly droped it. I just had a feeling it was goin to be horrible from the very first episode and Im a viewer that normally gives an anime 2-3 episodes before decide to watch it or not.
Sep 18, 2011 1:21 PM
Jul 2009
animegeek4life said:
The criticism should not be directed to the blood & gore, because that is what makes a Blood series a Blood series. Blood literally is the title of the show, without blood, the show would be nothing.

Maybe they've brought up the blood simply because the show doesn't have much going for it. If you read between the lines, it seems that the audience finds it boring, hence the question on whether the director overemphasized the blood (presumably at the expense of other things and in a detrimental fashion given the lack of realism).

It's an indirect way of criticizing the show without being too confrontational.
Sep 18, 2011 1:21 PM
Feb 2010
I think there's a lot of idiot people watching Blood-C
unnaturalness?? doll-like chars?? anyboy watched beyond the 5º or 6º episode??
if you watched and didn't got what's going on, so I'm sorry for you but, you are idiot...
psy-pSep 18, 2011 1:29 PM
Sep 18, 2011 1:44 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
psy-p said:
if you watched and didn't got what's going on, so I'm sorry for you but, you are idiot...

Well we understand what is going on (I had my suspicions as soon as episode 2). Doesn't mean the series is good because of that though.

The director really made this series for a very niche market. Seriously though, I'm not sure people who enjoy this truly enjoy this series or simply "enjoy" this series so that they can feel superior to the people who didn't enjoy this series as much as they "did".

I've seen worse series but at least we get some unnatural (censored) gore. Again, this is if you enjoy watching blood spilling like water faucet... with white bars across them... :/
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Sep 18, 2011 2:27 PM

Sep 2008
Well the other part is so shitty, but the action and the brutality is really great..
Sep 18, 2011 2:31 PM
Feb 2010
"Well we understand what is going on (I had my suspicions as soon as episode 2). Doesn't mean the series is good because of that though."

"we"??
you means you!
you can't say it for the others.

and yes the series is very good for what it was made.
who don't like it's kind don't watch, don't call it shit and don't say that the director is incompetent.
psy-pSep 18, 2011 2:36 PM
Sep 18, 2011 2:33 PM

Aug 2009
Dude... the show is already GARBAGE!
Just cancel it already!!! -__-
Sep 18, 2011 2:34 PM

Apr 2011
Miya_F_Exia said:
dtshyk said:

AKA I'm incompetent as hell but you have to deal with it.

Exactly ^^
People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world. (ಠ_ಠ)

Sep 18, 2011 2:45 PM
Aug 2011
MY question is: Why didnt they just get Junichi Fujisaku to direct it since he has more experience with this type of genre?
This man here is more experience with comical anime. So what makes them think it was ok for him to direct in the first place?
Sep 18, 2011 3:02 PM

Oct 2010
McRib said:
I don't blame him for Blood-C being lousy, I blame CLAMP.

Fucking CLAMP.

Im sorry but I can't resist myself. Fuck you.

CLAMP just did the character designs, this guy could've stayed true to the theme and made a great show.
Sep 18, 2011 3:14 PM

Nov 2007
Supergrunt8 said:
CLAMP just did the character designs, this guy could've stayed true to the theme and made a great show.

Actually they did more than that, they came with the story. Now, how much they were involved in the project isn't clear. If they wrote the plot in few lines and then left IG handle it, then IG is to blame and Mizushima more than anyone.

Anyway, since he argues he directed the anime in the best way, he is pretty much accepting already the responsibility for this (semi-?) failure.
Sep 18, 2011 3:23 PM

Mar 2011
animegeek4life said:
blood/gore isn't the problem at all

I agree with what you've said, but it IS a problem when series where bloodshed is a main (let's say) topic have the SAID bloodshed censored by huge white bars which cover 2/3 of the screen..
I agree the problem MAY not be all due to the director, if look at Clamp's history, they grab good series (say, Gantz or Blood+ (to make this wanna-be adaptation), among others) and turn them into.. well.. a steaming pile of donkey rejects, and once in every 50animes they get an interesting, funny and catchy one (say, Full Metal Panic). But his attitude sucks, he should listen to all critics evenly, being them good or bad, it's not about having "my style" or wanting "things as I like", as an artist one must listen to opinions and improve his work (as some said before) the good critics sometimes don't help as much as the other critics, I know most of the bad critics are unsubstantiated so it's hard to filter them but adopting an arrogant attitude isn't any better then those who say "it's bad, period"
Sep 18, 2011 3:23 PM

Feb 2011
Well if you don't like alot blood why watch something that has the word blood in it?
Sep 18, 2011 3:48 PM

May 2009
SquChan said:

I should award you for having the most stupid post ever.
Sep 18, 2011 4:11 PM

Jan 2011
Somebody should criticize him for having all of the on screen charterers die BEFORE THE HEROINE EVEN TAKES OUT HER SWORD. Worst. Hero. Ever.

-Monster appears-

Girl : "omg a monster! Let me see what it does!"

-Monster kills everyone within a 10 mile radius (Including her close friends)- This takes at least 10 minutes of teh monster gruesomely ripping apart flesh of all it's victums while the "Heroine" watches

Girl : " Oh everyone near me is dead? I better kill it now I guess."
[center]
Sep 18, 2011 4:21 PM

Nov 2007
i find blood-c quite lame its a quarter season anime ofcourse the story wont develop well and its a fucking clamp anime they never have closed ending

-------------edit---------edit LOL

1000th post LOOOLLL

I signed my screen and now its all smeary "When you meet your God tell him to leave me alone."

check out my bloghttp://corpse69.wordpress.com/

fix MAL already
Sep 18, 2011 4:56 PM

May 2010
it had bad news all over it
Sep 18, 2011 4:58 PM

Jun 2010
Knew this show would suck, just knew it. XD

Thank god I didn't bother with this anime. :/
Sep 18, 2011 5:10 PM

Jan 2008
"I had nothing to do with this," is basically what he's trying to say.

Banner made by suikka
Sep 18, 2011 5:37 PM

Mar 2009
Yeah. I'm not going to blame the direction; I'm going to blame CLAMP.
Sep 18, 2011 6:17 PM

Mar 2011
Buuutttt he's the director. which means that he's the leader of the project, so he's the one that's responsible for his subordinates. A script will not be used if the director doesn't want to use it. Orr the script writer and the director can have discussion over the script. He has rights to change the script if he wants to.
CLAMP is doing their job as the writer and the character design etc. They just write. And draw. A director's role is not to direct the project only, but to guide his subordinates, even the scriptwriter.
When a big boss (such as CEO etc) find a mistake in a certain company caused by a certain employee, will he blame the employee? No. He will blame the employee's manager.
Yes, CLAMP is to be blamed for writing the crappy script, but the director should be blamed for not changing it. But it's obvious from the interview that he's satisfied with the script.

panda_general said:
"I had nothing to do with this," is basically what he's trying to say.

I don't get how you get this conclusion
anaagaSep 18, 2011 6:22 PM
Sep 18, 2011 6:26 PM

Oct 2010
Both CLAMP and the director are to blame for this show bombing so much.
This Saya is the worst heroine I've ever seen. She let's everyone die before deciding to do something about it.
Every episode is pretty much the same and why would Saya sing so happily, it doesn't fit in Blood.
Also the atmosphere doesn't fit the Blood series.
"El Psy Congroo"
Sep 18, 2011 7:27 PM

Jun 2007
psy-p said:

The problems are
a) repetitiveness done in a way that is just plain boring as hell. Seeing Saya do the same thing for 5+ episodes is just horrible story writing. Sure the point of the repeating is to cue the audience that something isn't right with the town or with Saya but the way the producer executed it was HORRIBLE. If you plan to go the repetitive route then be more detailed. Actually tell a story in each episode!

b) The "story" could have been summed up in 4 OVAs. 2 for the repetitiveness, 1 for Saya realizing something is wrong, 1 for the conclusion/twist. It felt like the producer was forced to take a half assed story and drag it on much longer than it should have been. In all honesty I think this producer just got the short end of the stick and got stuck with this series.

c) The exaction for the ending "twist" was done poorly. They dropped hints in all the wrong places. Gave away too much or too little at the wrong times. Viewers already knew what the ending twist would be after seeing half the series. It was all just so poorly executed and written. They could have focused a lot more on the town and the characters and pulled an amazing twist in the end but Instead they chose to sacrifice the story for blood.

The writers need to be answering public criticism not the producer.
Sep 18, 2011 8:22 PM

May 2008
Wow is it really the blood people are bitching about? That's hardly the problem here.

It's the fucking story and how these jackasses are going about it e_e There's no way this show can be fixed at this point, so just accept that you made a shitty show for once.

Sep 18, 2011 8:34 PM
Feb 2009
There's no problem with blood and gore when there is a good story or quality characters or quality animation and art to go with it. Too bad this series fails in every aspect, even the blood and gore are executed horribly.
『おれは あの雲のように自由きままに生きる』ジュー​ザ
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» GoHands Produces Original TV Anime 'Momentary Lily' for Winter 2025

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

16 by Jonas-K »»
20 minutes ago

» Spring 2024 Simulcast List [Update 4/18]

Snow - Apr 5

28 by infanf »»
22 minutes ago

» '2.5-jigen no Ririsa' Reveals Additional Pair of Cast, Two Consecutive Cours

DatRandomDude - 1 hour ago

3 by RobertBobert »»
45 minutes ago

» Manga 'Senpai ga Uzai Kouhai no Hanashi' Ends with 13th Volume

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

8 by AddaeAkono »»
3 hours ago

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - Apr 24

5 by Kushna »»
Yesterday, 5:34 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.