Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Mar 28, 2017 6:51 PM

May 2014
So many things got me this episode-

-The moment between Dadan and Garp
-Makino's reaction
-Whitebeard & Ace's burial/graves
-Luffy's tears

But NOTHING got to me quite like that finger counting.
God that was beautiful ;-;

Next episode we get Zoro!! Yay, it's been a while!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 22, 2017 5:06 PM
Nekogirl~

Mar 2014
This really got me. T__________T

Jul 17, 2017 10:10 AM

Jun 2015
When Dadan started beating Garp, it opened my wounds and I started crying all over again. It makes it the harder for me to believe that Ace is gone. Damn, it's like losing someone in real life.
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
Oct 6, 2017 3:51 PM

Feb 2013
Damn, the feelings are too much for me.
Luffy is in too much pain!
Jinbe made him remember that he still has his nakama.
Oct 15, 2017 11:31 AM

Dec 2014
I've come to really respect Dadan, that was sad as hell when she said Luffy was the one hurting the most...

also, Makino doesn't age at all
how old is she?
Mar 13, 2018 2:21 PM

Apr 2012
>Dadan beating up Garp
I think I have something in my eye.
May 18, 2018 6:09 PM

Mar 2017
"Don't just think about the ones you've lost!
You can't get back what you've lost!
What is it that you still have?!"

The finger counting got me ;w;
awwwww
seeing Luffy like this hurts me so much

rewatching

猫はかわいいです。 (ꈍ ‸ ꈍ)

Sep 29, 2018 3:56 PM
Jun 2012
I cried again
Garp scenes always break my heart the most
He can't even have the condolence of "at leas I did everything I can to save him"
he must be feeling tortured
May 29, 2019 3:38 PM

Jun 2016
This episode was actually freaking beautiful. I cried nearly the entire time. Everything about it was amazing. Jimbei and Shanks both put it how it is, the thing I've picking up on for a long time, the series has shifted and became a series about Luffy learning that he fell behind the rest of the world. That the best he can do is run and barely get by. He learnt what it meant to keep people safe, to taste victory. He never doubted himself and always gave his all. But this arc was about striking down his confidence one strike at a time, all the way until he truly felt loss and futility. The amazing unstoppable Luffy turned into a child who refused to acknowledge he was in too deep. But, if he gets over this, this is when a man becomes a man, when one faces their own futility and moves on, as Shanks put it.

Jimbei is a damn good friend. He refused to leave Luffy's side and even beat him down to make his head clear. He may have been losing this entire arc and lost the person most important to him and broken the pledge he made as a child for Sabo and may feel like the antithesis of what he tries to be, but he's not alone yet. Like Brook who lost everyone but fights for Laboon. Luffy has to carry on Sabo and Ace in spirit and fight for what he still has, his nakama. He's not alone, he still has a reason to fight!!! However, it may not be as easy as saying that, the friends he wants to see are so far away. I do see Luffy in time becoming strong from this though.

As for the Dadan and Garp sequence, that made me sick. Garp, the guy who would scare Dadan into doing what he wanted, let her beat the living hell out of him. He didn't put up a hand. It's an act of atoning, its an act of taking what he thinks he deserves. He's hurt and he knows how hurt everyone else is too, because in the end he did choose his navy duty over his sons life. All he could do was sit with Ace and face it with him and now he'll gladly take all the beating he can if he helps make Dadan feel better. That whole scene was so hard to watch, Makino crying and Dadan calling out to Luffy. Marineford was truly a tragedy, Ace and Whitebeard have died, the world has changed, and everyone has to deal with the personal and broader consequences.

The funeral was another fantastic scene. Shanks did take their bodies to pay respects and he did with some beautiful graves. The burned up jolly roger and their clothing on top to remember them by. Shanks is amazing, and I already touched on it but the monologue he gave to Luffy was incredible, it clearly shows he's been around this block too. In fact he mentioned just as Garp did, that Ace's death was the exact thing Roger would have done as well..

I don't think any anime arc has made me cry this much ever. And not just sadness and tears, this arc has been beautiful, disgusting, exciting, rage inducing, sickening, and at times felt incredibly empty. It did amazing things with old characters, introduced strong new ones, had a scale unlike anything else I've ever seen which was organically built to over 500 episodes, and started to give Luffy a serious character arc while exploring him in amazing new ways. Plus it broke formula as I've said countless times and solved that major nitpick I had with the series. Summit War's thematic prowess coming all the way from the end of Thriller Bark was incredible, and I have to say Impel Down and Marineford are two of my favorite arcs ever. I love Sabaody as well and Amazon Lily is nothing to scoff at. Wonderful stuff. Love you Oda!!
Apr 28, 2020 12:30 PM

Oct 2017
Ace's death had not hit me until now.
Its probably because we got to bond with him when he was younger in the past few episodes but this episode had me bawling.
Luffy reminding himself that he still has his nakama is beautiful.

dadan and Garp's scenes really solidified that this is probably my favorite one piece episode.
Jun 8, 2020 2:56 AM
Feb 2020
This episode is my favorite singular episode in all of the Marineford War arch, the way that we get the last back story of all being luffy the captain of the ship it so well done by oda and i have not seen this any where else and it is was such a great ending to a great back story with Dadan tied in is so amazing when she is beating down on Garp, and how we are brought back into focus on what is important for Luffy and we go threw Luffys crew it really draws a tear from your eye.
Aug 11, 2020 10:29 AM

Mar 2020
I just love this episode. Luffy finally realizes things about himself and his crew. It was a really touchy episode. Tears were shed!
Aug 22, 2020 9:49 PM

Oct 2019
I found this episode a lot sadder than the one were Ace actually passed.
Hopefully Luffy is now able to become stronger with this newfound inspiration!

craaaap what an ep.

--

👏 hyped for 2022 lockdown 👏
👏 all good things come in threes 👏

- - ✽ - -
Nov 16, 2020 4:33 PM

May 2016
This episode gave me an emotional beatdown. Shanks really called it when he said that it was okay to cry since it definitely felt like he wasn't just talking about Luffy.

That part where Dadan beat up Garp over how he wasn't able to save Ace and Luffy already made me feel sad enough but Luffy's despair piling up and his friends giving him hope left me bawling. I'm really, really glad that he realized that he still has those precious to him even after his loss.

Nov 30, 2020 7:03 PM
Nov 2019
Dadan and Garp's scene really got to me. I cried throughout this episode but the previous couple episodes really made me care about Dadan and her connection to Luffy and Ace.Also, Shank's monologue was powerful and I'm glad Ace and Whitebeard had proper burials.
Jun 1, 2021 3:38 AM

Jun 2019
I can't help but cry every time Luffy cries.
Aug 15, 2021 12:45 AM

Aug 2021
It was so hard to watch depressed luffy crying and Garp getting beated by Dadan
Finally we'll get to see more of the crew getting back together
Dec 8, 2021 2:09 PM

Mar 2018
This episode really got me, didn't expect such strong feels.
Feb 20, 2022 1:31 AM

Feb 2008
The "Fight Together" opening hits real hard after seeing this episode.
Apr 2, 2022 6:21 AM
Jul 2018
this episode is one of the saddest things I've ever seen seeing everyone at windmill village was sad Ace and whitebeard's burial was also sad but when Luffy was remembering his friends and counting his fingers it was so emotional that I cried and I rarely ever cries in anything
removed-userSep 9, 2022 10:15 PM
Apr 10, 2022 2:52 PM

Dec 2012
This was such a heartfelt break through. I think that having the Straw Hats split up for 100 episodes and mainly following Luffy makes it all the more powerful and greatly demonstrates that while Luffy has suffered tremendously, he still has something worth holding onto.
Mar 9, 2023 6:49 AM
Aug 2020
first ep of this show to make me cry. goddamn, its so sweet.
Mar 21, 2023 9:30 PM
Jun 2022
jinbe is tew real though omg
Mar 21, 2023 9:31 PM
Jan 2017
fr grandpa garp wtf man, family >>> dumbass marine job
Apr 10, 2023 11:12 AM
Jan 2018
I cried so much :((
Jun 22, 2023 10:50 PM
Oct 2019
Dadan W MOTHER!! That scene hit hard!!
Jul 8, 2023 2:51 PM
Jul 2022
Episodio muy emotivo y el inicio del la superación de Luffy
Jul 15, 2023 6:02 AM
Jan 2020
I love Shanks! And my heart break for Luffy
Aug 22, 2023 12:39 PM
Aug 2020
one piece is so goated. i cried
Sep 10, 2023 1:50 PM
Sep 2023
Dude I miss the crew too godamn its been a minute
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Chelleee - Sep 13, 2008

377 by TheStarscream759 »»
27 minutes ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1015 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

AhriTheS3xyFox - Apr 23, 2022

476 by kappaisnew »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1101 Discussion ( 1 2 )

phantom346 - Apr 14

54 by LadyLeeMing »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 219 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Kaito__Kid - Nov 17, 2009

60 by X1ma »»
8 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1011 Discussion ( 1 2 )

AhriTheS3xyFox - Feb 19, 2022

58 by Marcos-1 »»
12 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.