Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 30, 2011 2:18 PM

Jan 2008
So yeah, it's free, but with limitations. Up to level 20, and you're only allowed 10 gold coins, but still I'm pretty interested in playing it now.

What do you guys think? I hope it's free for PS3 users too, I cant be bothered to do anything on my laptop except post on forums.

Linky
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Jun 30, 2011 2:23 PM
Jul 2018
They already had a free trial for a week or whatever. So I guess unless your goal is to run the Deadmines and Shadowfang Keep repeatedly, I can't say it'd be worth it.

It is just another tool to get the 10 people who haven't tried it in, addicted, and paying. That said, I've already done my time (three times over) and have no interest in going back. Every time I go back my memories of vanilla WoW are always met with disappointment. Probably just that rose-colored filter though.

Edit: not to mention: "Users wishing to take advantage of the WoW free offer will still have to buy the base game, which costs around £10."
Jun 30, 2011 2:26 PM

Jan 2008
I have to play it just so I can I have or people online will continue to throw rotten cabbage at me.

I will never ever join Facebook, but I feel I should dip my toes into WoW.

Guess I'm a geek deep inside.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Jun 30, 2011 2:55 PM

Feb 2010
Nothing really have changed - 14day trial to unlimited trial. A good ad. move from Blizzard.
LUL
Jun 30, 2011 2:56 PM

Aug 2008
Free? LOL. I still won't play it. XD
Click on this. I dare you. | MAL Fantasy Football League | Currently Watching List

RWBY Club. RWBY is anime. Deal with it.

Jun 30, 2011 3:35 PM

Jan 2011
It tells something about a game when I won't even play it for free, mmmorpg's are boring.
Jun 30, 2011 5:01 PM

Sep 2007
Not going anywhere near WoW ever.
Jun 30, 2011 5:14 PM

Oct 2008
KyuuAL said:

Stay Away!
Jun 30, 2011 5:18 PM
Jul 2018
Mujina said:
KyuuAL said:

Stay Away!

Shit is serious business
Jun 30, 2011 6:01 PM

Jun 2010
it is the plague...
Jun 30, 2011 9:04 PM

Jun 2008
Doesn't most, if not all, MMORPGs have private servers if they had a monthly cost?
Jun 30, 2011 10:11 PM
Feb 2010
Beatnik said:
What do you guys think? I hope it's free for PS3 users too, I cant be bothered to do anything on my laptop except post on forums.
WoW is on the PS3 too?
Jun 30, 2011 11:36 PM

Nov 2010
nerb said:
Beatnik said:
WoW is on the PS3 too?

No

Tachii said:
Doesn't most, if not all, MMORPGs have private servers if they had a monthly cost?

WoW has private servers
Jun 30, 2011 11:38 PM

Sep 2008
Beatnik said:
I hope it's free for PS3 users too, I cant be bothered to do anything on my laptop except post on forums.

wait what? are you like from the future or some thing?
It doesn't think, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry..... All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.
Jul 1, 2011 12:10 AM
Nov 2008
Beatnik said:

You been smoking anything lately?
Jul 1, 2011 1:00 AM
Jul 2018
so i guess the chinese torture squads will save some money on this,
Jul 1, 2011 3:31 AM

Feb 2010
WoW is NOT free, ffs. Its just advertising move from Blizzard, jeez.
LUL
Jul 1, 2011 3:32 AM

Aug 2010
why would I want to play this old relic even if it were free anyway?
Jul 1, 2011 3:57 AM

Dec 2007
Beatnik said:
I have to play it just so I can I have or people online will continue to throw rotten cabbage at me.

I will never ever join Facebook, but I feel I should dip my toes into WoW.

Guess I'm a geek deep inside.

It's not geekish at all, WoW is a very casual game.

Also, I'm not going anywhere near that thing.
Jul 1, 2011 3:15 PM

Jan 2008
Fucking LOL, man I could have sworn it was available on PS3, wtf?
Jul 1, 2011 4:12 PM
Jul 2018
Beatnik said:

When I originally read the thing about the PS3 I thought you were kidding. Hehe.
Jul 1, 2011 9:51 PM

Jul 2008
insipidclownfish said:
Beatnik said:

When I originally read the thing about the PS3 I thought you were kidding. Hehe.
It's possible he was confusing DC Universe online(another MMO) with Wow, seeing as DCUO is on both the PC and PS3.
Jul 2, 2011 1:32 AM

Nov 2009
The level 20 cap kind of defeats the purpose tbh lol.

You dont really get anything decent in that time character wise and you cant even rack up enough gold to maybe twink characters for PvP at Level 19.

Though I guess you could have someone with a proper account buy the necessary items.

So yeah, this "free version" could make loads of PvPers come in and play at Level 15 - 19 level forever more XD;
Jul 2, 2011 2:03 AM

Jun 2011
Chavez said:

Not casual at all. You may plan to start casual, but there's always something new (PvP or PvE) that's out of reach to a casual gamer. The frustration from not being able to beat the less casual PvPer or not being able to PUG an instance run drags you further into the abyss.

WoW is not a game for the weak psyche.
El Psy Congroo
Jul 2, 2011 6:53 AM

Mar 2011
prjgns said:
The frustration from not being able to beat the less casual PvPer or not being able to PUG an instance run drags you further into the abyss.

Yeah, it's hard to play the game if you're too lazy to play it. All current raids have been nerfed by 20-30% in order for casuals to keep up with the more hardcore players.
If you whine about not being able to join PuG's because you lack achievements, then join a guild - it's as simple as that. It took me no longer than five minutes to join the guild I'm currently in, and with the new Looking for Guild tool is should be even simpler.
If you whine about PuG's being horrible, then again - join a guild. Contrary to popular (hate)belief WoW is a social game, so if you fail socially you will more than likely fail at understanding(and playing) this game.
Mr. Wonsworth, you may NOT eat my scones!
Jul 2, 2011 8:04 AM

Jul 2008
prjgns said:
but there's always something new (PvP or PvE) that's out of reach to a casual gamer.
Not really, there may be rehashed(heroic) instances or a new set of pvp armor that looks exactly the same as the last one, but it is essentially the same thing. I played wow from vanilla and saw the game completely deteriorate over time with this sort of casual mentality that you should create 8 different ways to do the same thing so everyone could complete it in some sort of way.
Jul 2, 2011 9:36 AM

Dec 2007
prjgns said:
Chavez said:

Not casual at all. You may plan to start casual, but there's always something new (PvP or PvE) that's out of reach to a casual gamer. The frustration from not being able to beat the less casual PvPer or not being able to PUG an instance run drags you further into the abyss.

Please. Join me in EVE Online and I'll show you what hardcore geekness is like.

WoW is totally casual among MMORPG's.
Jul 2, 2011 1:30 PM
Jul 2018
Chavez said:

Sure EVE is complex, but unless you are fairly sociable to begin with the game is lame as heck, in my experience. I'm too solo oriented and there is no joy in mining and ratting solo. A game doesn't have to be complex to have the most fun with it. The ease of pugging is one of my favorite draws of WoW, and part of the reason why I love City of Heroes as well.
Jul 2, 2011 2:01 PM

Sep 2008
Chavez said:

too bad EVE is too busy running it self into the ground and going up in flames.
It doesn't think, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry..... All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.
Jul 2, 2011 6:52 PM
Feb 2010
Jigero said:
Yeah, introducing an eyepatch. What were those bastards thinking?
Jul 2, 2011 6:54 PM

Nov 2010
Defiance said:
prjgns said:
but there's always something new (PvP or PvE) that's out of reach to a casual gamer.
Not really, there may be rehashed(heroic) instances or a new set of pvp armor that looks exactly the same as the last one, but it is essentially the same thing. I played wow from vanilla and saw the game completely deteriorate over time with this sort of casual mentality that you should create 8 different ways to do the same thing so everyone could complete it in some sort of way.

Have you ever heard the saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" ? Last i checked, over 11 Mil people still subscribe to WoW. I've actually found that they managed to create pretty fresh encounters consistently, if they completely failed at it they wouldn't be as successful anymore.
Jul 2, 2011 7:13 PM

Jul 2010
KyuuAL said:

Kyuu why must we agree on so much.
The game is still going to be full of creepy people, I'd rather not dip into that type of stuff. Besides, the game is just not my style. I rather kick, shoot, or do at least some crazy shit to kill my enemy, rather clicking a spell.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 3, 2011 3:38 AM

Dec 2007
insipidclownfish said:

Sure EVE is complex, but unless you are fairly sociable to begin with the game is lame as heck, in my experience. I'm too solo oriented and there is no joy in mining and ratting solo. A game doesn't have to be complex to have the most fun with it. The ease of pugging is one of my favorite draws of WoW, and part of the reason why I love City of Heroes as well.

Is irrelevant (and personal), and

Jigero said:

is irrelevant too (and unsupported).

The statement was that WoW was a hardcore geek game, I compared it with EVE, and so the argument still stands.
Jul 3, 2011 4:05 AM

Apr 2011
Treekodar said:
Contrary to popular (hate)belief WoW is a social game, so if you fail socially you will more than likely fail at understanding(and playing) this game.

There are those strange fellows who join a guild, but never say anything to anyone, oh, until something goes wrong in the raid group haha!

I used to play for 2 years and while I'm still subscribed I don't really have the time to play anymore but I've made some great friends which is the only real reason I even log in now.
hey hey hey hey no
Jul 3, 2011 6:19 AM
Jul 2018
Chavez said:
insipidclownfish said:

Is irrelevant (and personal)

Hey, I'm not trying to argue here, just discuss. Semantic arguments always seem to end in tears. Honestly I don't care which game is "hardcore" and which is "casual". The only thing that DOES bother me is when people who play "hardcore" games tend to think that their game is superior, and thus they are as well. I like both EVE and WoW but I don't play either of them currently.

Just don't get so set on terms that have no real relevance in the gaming world.

Sure you want to compare the levels of "hardcore" to support that WoW isn't in fact, hardcore. What I am saying is, why does it matter? Is there a sanctioned 'hardcore standardized measurement system' somewhere where we can statistically measure which game has more hardcoerz points? I feel that the term applies much more to the player than the game anyhow.
removed-userJul 3, 2011 6:33 AM
Jul 3, 2011 10:29 AM

May 2009
No.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 3, 2011 1:44 PM

Jul 2008
Bostonblows said:
Defiance said:
prjgns said:

Have you ever heard the saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" ? Last i checked, over 11 Mil people still subscribe to WoW. I've actually found that they managed to create pretty fresh encounters consistently, if they completely failed at it they wouldn't be as successful anymore.
It is just coattailing it's early success and with no serious competitor it basically has a monopoly on the market. People are starting to leave it now though, this year marked the first where they are actually losing users, not gaining.
Jul 3, 2011 5:39 PM

Sep 2008
Chavez said:

The statement was that WoW was a hardcore geek game, I compared it with EVE, and so the argument still stands.

Lets see Eve just added mirco transactions, constantly making EVE more noob friendly and sets to pander to the FPS console kiddy crowd with DUST which is not getting a PC release. Sure Eve isn't as main stream as WoW but it's damn well trying to be or wants to be.
Jul 4, 2011 8:02 AM

Dec 2007
Jigero said:
Chavez said:

Lets see Eve just added mirco transactions, constantly making EVE more noob friendly and sets to pander to the FPS console kiddy crowd with DUST which is not getting a PC release. Sure Eve isn't as main stream as WoW but it's damn well trying to be or wants to be.

Micro transactions have always been part of EVE, and so far, this had positive influence on the game universe. We also both know the difference in player base, and that it will persist that way for a long way to come as it is CCP's business card not to have thirteen year old Counterstrike veterans around.

insipidclownfish said:

Hey, I'm not trying to argue here, just discuss. Semantic arguments always seem to end in tears. Honestly I don't care which game is "hardcore" and which is "casual". The only thing that DOES bother me is when people who play "hardcore" games tend to think that their game is superior, and thus they are as well. I like both EVE and WoW but I don't play either of them currently.

Just don't get so set on terms that have no real relevance in the gaming world.

Sure you want to compare the levels of "hardcore" to support that WoW isn't in fact, hardcore. What I am saying is, why does it matter? Is there a sanctioned 'hardcore standardized measurement system' somewhere where we can statistically measure which game has more hardcoerz points? I feel that the term applies much more to the player than the game anyhow.

It's the difference in dedication you can show without being tagged as elitist or geek. For example, in EVE, there is actual roleplay going on and people show some dedication. In WoW, well, does it need elaboration? So yes, it matters a lot actually.
Jul 4, 2011 11:41 PM

May 2008
If this is true, while World of Warcraft isn't up my alley exactly, and I probably wouldn't play it, even with being free. I love what this says about the "free-to-play" stigma.

I would just like to say that while I don't know what to say about the actual overall quality of playing EVE Online, it seems to at least be innovative in many respects. As does the Guild Wars 2 of the future. And in terms of gameplay mechanics, seem to be taking the genre where it ought to be going. That is, from all I understand. Whether I particularly want to play them or not, I should at least acknowledge that.

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Jul 5, 2011 10:59 PM

Oct 2010
When this becomes F2P without the monthly subscription I'll probably buy the game.
Jul 5, 2011 11:20 PM

Jun 2009
mindflayer said:
When this becomes F2P without the monthly subscription I'll probably buy the game.

That will never happen.
Jul 6, 2011 2:00 AM

May 2008
Oh, so it's not really free to play?

Well, that was misleading and disappointing.

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Jul 6, 2011 2:16 AM

Dec 2007
ukonkivi said:
Oh, so it's not really free to play?

Well, that was misleading and disappointing.

It is, to a certain point. You can play all you like, but at a certain point, you will end up having to quit or pay in order to continue playing. But really, I don't think it's a game you'd enjoy anyways. I didn't think you were the type to play MMORPGs at all, actually.
Jul 7, 2011 7:27 AM

May 2009
No.
Jul 9, 2011 12:40 PM

Dec 2008
i stoped playing world of warcraft
Jul 10, 2011 12:34 AM

Apr 2011
I used to play WoW, however I only find it fun if I have friends I know playing, otherwise it gets boring quickly trying to get a character from 1 - 85 by yourself.
Jul 10, 2011 6:44 AM
Mar 2008
Unlike most games, all the development and marketing decisions made around World of Warcraft, such as this, are consciously made to increase addiction instead of fun. Even if it'd be completly free, there would still be a cost for it, yourself.
Jul 10, 2011 10:24 AM

Dec 2008
yea, ofc it will allways cost to play wow, wow is blizzard's way to get all the cash, (+ alot more) to develop all the great games they are throwing out (star craft and diablo)

More topics from this board

» Rate The Last Game You Finished. ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Crzy_Minus - Apr 23, 2015

3721 by tinshard »»
34 minutes ago

» What's the funnest local multiplayer game with friends.

SnipeStrike - Apr 16

14 by JaniSIr »»
4 hours ago

» What are you playing right now? (v2) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Oct 4, 2020

3513 by Tamamolicki »»
Yesterday, 9:51 PM

» total games on your steam library ( 1 2 )

deg - Feb 22

50 by Strahan »»
Yesterday, 4:32 PM

» Favorite gaming cover art?

_Nette_ - Apr 25

2 by Faisal-Abdulhadi »»
Yesterday, 12:14 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.