Forums
New
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Jul 7, 2011 11:59 PM
Dec 2007
ayeyosteven said:
Leon-Gun said:
AironicallyHuman said:
It probably isn't pure coincidence that FFVII was my first Final Fantasy, first JRPG and first game I fell in love with, all at once. My nostalgic memories from my childhood undoubtedly added layers of enjoyment onto my ecperience that others lacked.
Nostalgia colors your memory of it for sure. It influenced many because of it's position as the first big FF game on the PSX, which introduced the series to a new generation of young kids and because of it's -at the time- revolutionary graphics. But objectively it had the most dated graphics of the series (even the old-school games aged more gracefully), it's story is already a mess "without" the translation mistakes so the horrible translation made it worse, and gameplay-wise the materia system does not offer much new.

FFVIII's Junction system was far more of a departure gameplay-wise, and you are giving far too less credit to the considerable changes FFX brought to the plate, including it's replacement of ATB with a more streamlined Turn-based system.

FFVIII's battle system was horrid, just like FFXII's.
I held no opinion either way, just that it was different. FFXII was also different in that it took the old ATB system and added customized AI routines. The "no separate battle screen" part however was inconsequential as you were still shackled to a turn-based system with no opportunity to exploit your ability to move (no manual block or dodge). Mind you, whether this changes were good or not is a matter of opinion.

Jul 8, 2011 3:19 AM

May 2009
Summon Night swordcraft story series
Megaman battle network
Shin Megami Tensei Devil Survivor
Golden Sun
Pokémon
Jul 8, 2011 6:27 AM
Jun 2011
I actually really enjoyed Final Fantasy XII, it's one of my favorites in the series. I despise VIII though. I like IX, but not as much as I did on my first play through. It just lost a lot of charm to me, I have no idea why. X was fun, just sooooo easy to me. I've never actually played XI, and I've had XIII for over a year, and still have barely started it. Ha
FH495Jul 8, 2011 6:30 AM
Jul 8, 2011 9:33 AM

Jun 2007
Leon-Gun said:
AironicallyHuman said:
It probably isn't pure coincidence that FFVII was my first Final Fantasy, first JRPG and first game I fell in love with, all at once. My nostalgic memories from my childhood undoubtedly added layers of enjoyment onto my ecperience that others lacked.
Nostalgia colors your memory of it for sure. It influenced many because of it's position as the first big FF game on the PSX, which introduced the series to a new generation of young kids and because of it's -at the time- revolutionary graphics. But objectively it had the most dated graphics of the series (even the old-school games aged more gracefully), it's story is already a mess "without" the translation mistakes so the horrible translation made it worse, and gameplay-wise the materia system does not offer much new.

FFVIII's Junction system was far more of a departure gameplay-wise, and you are giving far too less credit to the considerable changes FFX brought to the plate, including it's replacement of ATB with a more streamlined Turn-based system.

Clearly, you never encountered a battle in FFVII. The graphics of the characters in-battle and outside were worlds apart. Sure - the characters having hooves for hands meant the character models were never going to age well, ignoring the combat, but the backgrounds and battles made up for that, in my mind.

Try playing Wild Arms (original) and tell me how its 3D battle graphics compare. It was described as Sony's answer to FFVII, back in the day, by at least one reviewer.

And translation issues? Try Final Fantasy Tactics or Legend of Dragoon. They also came out after FFVII, and I don't even recollect any noteworthy translation issues, in any event.

FFVII's story is only a "mess" if you look into the Sephiroth clone whathefuckery and Sephiroth<>Jenova real villain confusion closely. Aside from that, the story held together and was gripping throughout. There were many high-points placed throughout, near the disc start and ends, which prevented me ever losing interest.

The materia system is so well-liked, even today, for one reason: it combined simplicity with complexity perfectly; allowing anyone to get a handle on it from the get-go while also allowing for lots of thoughts to be put into combination slots, later on in the game. Levelling up the materia itself, instead of the characters' magic skill level or whatever, was ingenius because it allowed for a double-layered development system that was rewarding.

FFVIII's junction system, on the other hand, quickly became a pain in the arse because of players needing to draw 10+ times EACH from monsters to max out their magic for stat boosting purposes.

Even now, I still remember spending hours outside Wutai, after first being able to get there, and levelling up materia to learn new spells. And, at the end of the game, I spent far longer mastering materia.

The limit break system complimented the materia battle mechanics well, too. Although it was confusing working out the requirements required to learn new limit breaks, it was even more rewarding than learning new magic when I finally unlocked a new character-specific ability.

Whether or not I'm clouded by nostalgia doesn't take away from the fact FFVII is a superbly crafted game. The feeling of amazement I felt when, after being tricked into believing the entire game would take place in Midgar, I saw the world map for the first time has remained with me, even to this day. The back-story of Cloud and Sephiroth being revealed immediately after this, which added a long-lasting sense of purpose to the next section of the game, was an especially nice touch, as well.

I wouldn't say FFVII is the perfect game, or anything. In fact, I enjoy playing Grandia more, Suikoden II has a better story and Star Ocean has far more replay value. But I would say it's worth its fame. Typically, only those blinded by graphics or those who feel the need to rebel against popular, mainstream titles argue against this.
AironicallyHumanJul 8, 2011 9:36 AM
Jul 8, 2011 1:02 PM
Dec 2007
AironicallyHuman said:
It seems you really like it, I myself never found it more than average. As for it's graphics... is there a need to compare them to it's contemporaries? It doesn't change the fact they've aged poorly. Not something exclusive to it though as it was just a problem with the knowledge, tools and techniques from back then.

Jul 8, 2011 2:16 PM

Apr 2008
Any of the Suikoden games especially II..they are absolutely my favorite games of all time.
Jul 8, 2011 10:03 PM
Sep 2007
Btw, about Final Fantasy VIII.

So far, I don't remember anyone (on any forum) mentioning it is basically high school anime RPG.
Jul 8, 2011 10:09 PM

Mar 2011
right now its Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness, that game is awesome. If you would ask me some other time it might be Final Fantasy IX, Legend of Dragoon, Persona 3 or Chrono Cross (*gasp*, chrono cross better than trigger!?!? it think so)
Jul 8, 2011 11:09 PM
Dec 2007
Psajdak said:
Btw, about Final Fantasy VIII.

So far, I don't remember anyone (on any forum) mentioning it is basically high school anime RPG.
Mostly because the school is a military school for mercenaries and your character graduates at the very start of the story.

Jul 9, 2011 1:33 AM

Jun 2008
has everyone forgotten about Chrono Trigger? =3=
"I only have two modes... At war with something, or having sex with it! There is no middle ground." -Colbert

Jul 11, 2011 5:38 AM

Sep 2008
Persona 4 and Nocturne are my favourite RPGs.
I prefer the story and characters in Persona 4, while I find the combat system in Nocturne to be more deep and challenging. Both are superb games though.
Jul 11, 2011 8:10 AM

May 2008
Planescape: Torment.

Although from more technical viewpoint maybe Fallout or Baldur's Gate series were better RPGS. Also, I obviously haven't played all cRPGs.

But I stand by my choice.

Jul 11, 2011 9:16 AM

Aug 2008
Tales of _____. I can't pick one.

Otherwise Mega Man Battle Network. A real time strategy RPG if you will.

Otherwise Dark Cloud 2, Persona 3, or Xenosaga.

That's it, I promise.

I honestly forget most of my game collection and Playfire isn't helping me organize my thoughts, so I'll probably edit this post later.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.
Jul 13, 2011 11:12 PM

Jun 2011
oblivion/fallout 3
Jul 13, 2011 11:16 PM

Jan 2010
fallout new vegas, I can't go back to fallout 3, NV has too many improvements and things to do
Jul 14, 2011 1:19 PM
Jan 2011
My favorite is absolutly Oblivion, but the first baldurs gate was also very good
Jul 14, 2011 2:53 PM
Jul 2018
Shobster said:
fallout new vegas, I can't go back to fallout 3, NV has too many improvements and things to do

I haven't finished New Vegas yet, but I'd have to argue the opposite. Yes, New Vegas has all sorts of new stuff, but not all of it was to my tastes. Hardcore mode is fun, but a little bit on the micromanaging side. Iron sights are harder to use than the plain ol' crosshair. Many of the quests I've done are of the go-fer variety that I can hardly stand doing.

Obsidian likes to put out sequels to best selling games, but they never deliver (in my opinion, obviously).

I think the combat system in Fallout works way better in Elder Scrolls though. Nothing like shooting a ghoul five times in the head while it melees me to death.
Jul 16, 2011 11:17 AM

Jul 2011
Does anyone actually still play Nethack? If you use your imagination a bit, this gotta be one of the best RPGs ever made. Besides that, The Elder Scrolls series, absolutely. Or more specifically Oblivion.
Jul 16, 2011 7:49 PM

Oct 2010
secret of mana :3

will never forget how awesome it is
Jul 17, 2011 1:36 AM
Oct 2008
Final fantasy 2 dawn of souls had lots of fun playing
Jul 17, 2011 2:57 AM
Oct 2010
Final Fantasy X - that difficulity *A*
Jul 17, 2011 4:21 AM

Feb 2005
OtakuronZ said:
Final Fantasy X - that difficulity *A*
Wha? FFX was incredibly easy overall. Unless you're thinking of Dark yojimbo and killing Penance without Zanmato of course...
Jul 17, 2011 8:57 AM
Sep 2007
I wouldn't really say that FFX was that easy, especially on first playing.

What made it easier was that CTB bar (where you see who's next to take turn), and characters that joined who had advantage against new types of enemies - Wakka for birds, Rikku for machina, Lulu for elementals, Auron for those armoured mole-things, Kimahri for...

Well, I didn't use him too much aside from absorbing Blue Magic spells from enemies and in boss fights only to weaken boss even if it's only a little, but his Nova Overdrive was at least visually nice to see.

Tidus was good for those nimble wolves, and Yuna was probably most useful of them all because of her White Magic (helped a lot against zombies as well) and summons.

Btw, speaking of summons, I mean Aeons, am I the only one who thought that they were really fragile?
They were really useful in boss fights, but it seemed to me like they had 1/255 defense.

Anyway, Evrae (dragon on airship), Seymour Flux on Gagazet, and Yunalesca in Zanarkand...
I really found those fights really hard, especially if you face them without already filled Overdrives for both characters and Aeons, and of course without some strategy.

Personally, I found game much easier after fight with Yunalesca, simply because you didn't have to walk that much through all those random encounters (I don't know for others, but crossing the Calm Lands first time was, at least for me, like crossing through minefield, with all those fiends appearing every few seconds), and you could transport in almost every town.

Also, Monster Arena for maxing every status of characters - I maxed out everything (including Luck) for Yuna (because of Aeons, and because I liked her), Wakka (because of Attack Reels which is most likely best Overdrive after Anima's Oblivion), and Tidus (because of his Blitz Ace Overdrive).

I never found Dark Yojimbo that though - the trick was in summoning Aeon to block his Zanmato.
In fact, I often used him to get as many Dark Matters as possible before fighting him in last round, same with Penance where you could always flee with Dark Matters for every time you destroy his / its hands.

As for Penance, well, definetely one of thoughest bosses in series, much harder than for instance Yiazmat who, IMO, was only annoying because of tons of HPs it had.
Ozma from FFIX was beast as well with its Curse attack, speed, and fact that it didn't follow any attack pattern, and only chose attacks at random - only had around 56 000 HPs.

I'll probably start grinding for FFVII, and FFVIII super bosses (finished both stories, btw) one day.

Wouldn't know anything about FFXIII because I didn't played it yet.

Btw, my strategy for Penance:

Tidus - every status 255, HP: around 75 000, MP: 999, Celestial weapon fully activated, Auto Phoenix, Auto Haste, Ribbon, and Break HP Limit

Wakka - every status 255, HP: around 75 000, MP: 99, Celestial weapon fully activated, Auto Phoenix, Auto Haste, Ribbon, and Break HP Limit

Rikku - very weak, Celestial weapon fully activated

Strategy was simple - Penance kills Rikku which fully fills her Overdrive, and also Wakka's and Tidus' Overdrives are set to fill up when their ally (Rikku) dies.

And then Blitz Ace and Attack Reels over, and over, and over, and over.
Jul 17, 2011 11:24 AM

Apr 2009
Phantasy Star 2
Jul 17, 2011 11:49 AM

Jun 2008
Xenosaga hands down, best story I have ever seen in an RPG, and the gameplay was top notch. If only the cut scense weren't so long it would have been perfect.
Jul 17, 2011 11:50 AM
Sep 2007
I wonder if Xenosaga undub project will ever be completed.
Jul 17, 2011 3:02 PM
Dec 2007
Retro8bit said:
Xenosaga hands down, best story I have ever seen in an RPG, and the gameplay was top notch. If only the cut scense weren't so long it would have been perfect.
Episode 2 dropped the ball sadly. Thankfully Episode 3 managed to salvage the series.

Jul 17, 2011 3:15 PM

Feb 2010
Without a doubt Final Fantasy 10.

It has everything you could ever want in the storyline: government, religion, family issues, and love interests.

Not to mention the soundtrack is beautiful.
Jul 18, 2011 3:33 PM

Oct 2010
Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura and Fallout.

Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines when it is patched up is damn good too.
Jul 19, 2011 11:58 AM

Jul 2011
my fave rpg is the atelier iris series i will not part with any of them ^^.
Jul 19, 2011 12:14 PM
May 2011
not the best but megaman legends 1 and 2 were some of the best action rpg's ever,

i would also like to state FUCK YOU CAPCOM HOW DARE YOU CANCEL MEGAMAN LEGENDS 3, I REFUSE TO EVER BUY A GAME FROM YOU EVER AGAIN
Jul 19, 2011 9:17 PM

Jul 2011
FF7, then Fallout 3, then Oblivion, and maybe Skyrim will beat fallout but on my list FF7 is always the best and i can replay it all the times i want ;)
Jul 20, 2011 11:41 AM
Jun 2011
My favourite is definitely Final Fantasy IX. Absolutely love this game! :D There are so many other RPG that are fun to play though. c:
Jul 20, 2011 11:19 PM

Jul 2009
Planescape: Torment. Before it, and after it, there is nothing that even comes close. The story is just so mind-bogglingly good, that it's still hard for me to believe.
Jul 21, 2011 2:41 PM

Jun 2011
I'd have to go for Tales of Symphonia as my fave, with Persona 4 and Final Fantasy VII not far behind.
Jul 29, 2011 5:26 PM

May 2010
Suikoden II is at the top.
Jul 29, 2011 6:41 PM

Jul 2011
I know I'm gonna sound like a Pu$$! but pokemon.
Jul 31, 2011 10:41 AM

Dec 2010
Even though it left me battered.

Even though it left me bruised.

Even though it left me angered.

Even though.

Demons' Souls was one of the best RPG's in a long time. It didn't make things easy, but the sense of achievement it gave you was well worth it.
Aug 3, 2011 12:53 PM

May 2010
Planescape Torment or Fallout 2 or M&M 7...
If you are a fan of (or simply interested in) Japanese films
then please join the Cinema of Japan club! Thank you (:

Aug 5, 2011 2:30 AM

Jun 2011
Gotta be Kingdom Hearts for me.

Aug 6, 2011 4:08 AM

Jul 2011
Persona 3 FES.
Aug 8, 2011 2:51 AM

Jan 2011
Fall Out 2 and 3, Baldurs Gate 2, Dragon Quest series.

Aug 9, 2011 12:47 PM

Aug 2011
simple, Kingdom Hearts. i love FF and disney combined together.
second: haven't played much rpg's, but i like Persona 3 portable, which i'm currently playing, a lot
third: Star Ocean
Aug 11, 2011 1:56 AM
Dec 2008
Valkyrie Profile (Lenneth, Silmeria, Covenant of the Plume), Tales of Eternia, Suikoden II, FFVII, FFVIII
Aug 11, 2011 7:16 AM

Nov 2008
Rudra no Hihou (Treasure of the Rudras), Romancing Saga 2 and 3, and the Atelier series.

Aug 11, 2011 9:17 AM

Jun 2011
Riviera: The Promised Land
Aug 13, 2011 2:48 AM

Sep 2008
Leon-Gun said:
Retro8bit said:
Episode 2 dropped the ball sadly. Thankfully Episode 3 managed to salvage the series.

everyone likes to forget about episode 2.....

the story was pretty "meh" I played the game when I was 15 and even then I could see every plot element coming from a mile away, also the soty got fucked over due to "OH SHIT WE GOTTA STUFF ALL THE CRAP WE PLANNED FOR 4 MORE GAMES INTO 1 NOW!"

Xenosaga would have been great if they could have gotten it to 6 games like they planned, I dunno why they couldn't. Xenosaga was better then most of the shit tier JRPGs still getting games now a days.
JigeroAug 13, 2011 2:55 AM
It doesn't think, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry..... All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.
Aug 13, 2011 5:10 AM

Aug 2011
Of my all-time favourite, it has to be Final Fantasy IX, sure VII was good, but IX blew it out the water - everything about it is amazing.

Close behind IX is Suikoden 2 for the sheer emotional storyline, so memorable and epic

Then a bit after Suikoden is Grandia for amazing gameplay and story <3 Feena

...Then along comes FFVII, my first RPG and still love it, but the others just mean more to me
Aug 13, 2011 8:54 AM

Apr 2011
My favorite Role play game is the world ends with you. I have just finished it, and I'm still hooked on the extra part :3 The plot is very catchy, and I heard that it's an inspiration of kingdom hearts.
Aug 13, 2011 8:56 AM

Aug 2011
SMT: Persona 4
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

» Add "you little bitch" to a video game quote. ( 1 2 3 )

Kajiuran - Oct 20, 2023

141 by Kajiuran »»
2 hours ago

» Exploring the Intersection of Games, Computers, and Tech Support: A Guide for Android App Development Companies in Saudi Arabia

johnsrp - 12 hours ago

0 by johnsrp »»
12 hours ago

» whats your least favorite video game

_spoon_ - Dec 10, 2021

30 by Kajiuran »»
Yesterday, 9:54 PM

» What's the best handheld console you recommend?

CursedFein - Apr 20

6 by rohan121 »»
Yesterday, 6:16 PM

» Looking for more Anime Pixel Games

Astachanna - Apr 4

9 by Timeline_man »»
Yesterday, 5:59 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.