Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 9, 2008 8:52 PM

Aug 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Pretty interesting. But when is it going to get on with the plot. D:
KinetaNov 25, 2012 9:58 AM
Jun 9, 2008 9:30 PM

Apr 2008
It might be... an episodic anime! DUN DUN DUN

The humanity.
Jun 9, 2008 11:46 PM

Dec 2007
an episode about a book... boring

Sumeragi Kururu - Pledge Queen of Tool Toul To

Jun 10, 2008 2:19 AM

Feb 2008
A rather interesting episode, though I'm wondering when the real plot will start (if this anime has one).
Jun 10, 2008 3:00 AM

Feb 2008
felo said:
an episode about a book... boring

I agree, prefer when stuff happen instead of watching some montage of a reading girl.
Jun 10, 2008 3:05 AM

Oct 2007
just wait, next ep will we loads better
Jun 10, 2008 3:30 AM

Jan 2008
I, for one, thought that was a good episode. Sure, there weren't any action scenes but who cares. The ending was heartbreaking, "I was only asleep for a little while".

"There is a road in the hearts of all of us, hidden and seldom traveled,
which leads to an unknown, secret place."
Jun 10, 2008 7:46 AM

May 2007
Another boring episode !!

Jun 10, 2008 8:49 AM

Aug 2007
I loved that episode. Didn't expect it to turn out the way it did. The episode was imo not really unrelated to the main plot, since it deals somehow with Haru's past. I found it very interessting that the series did finally focus somehow on the things that happened during Haru's coma time.

Well, it seems that this anime is going to show at first some episodic experiences to explain the whole metal-thing a bit better.
But Dennou Coil did the same th ing(the first 1/3 of that anime, too, showed more random adventures before it really began to evolve the main plot), and if RD becomes only near as good as Dennou Coil I will be happy.
Jun 10, 2008 10:40 AM

Sep 2007
just a filler episode but I guess it showed some of the effects of full digitization of everything (well everything possible) such as books... I don't think I would ever enjoy reading a book unless it was right there in front of me its just not the same
Jun 10, 2008 11:31 AM

Feb 2008
it may have looked boring, but i didnt think it was.
it hink the episode did well to explain the tone and nature of the setting. with more and more media being converted to the digital medium, this may very well be our eventual future where everything is essentially digital. a time when having hard media like books is a comodity. also they give a glimpse inot haru's past so i think it was a good episode.
Jun 10, 2008 1:10 PM

May 2008
I'm in agreement with Gladius on loving this episode. Real Drive is the type of series I wish came along more often. A series that is beautiful from an animation production/direction standpoint, that has characters and character designs that don't seem ripped from "A Guide To Making Generic Anime", and episodic plots that are well written and show a wide range of subject matter that all stem from the state of the world as well as it's level of technology. 'Tis a shame that people will overlook it simply because it doesn't have gratuitous amounts of action and mindless writing that seems like it came from a video game film.

I also found it interesting that they went with the subject of digitalization of books in this episode since I kind of figured Toshokan Sensou would be the series that would have something about that (maybe it does? I didn't make it past episode 2). Especially given the fact that with large scale digitalization one has to wonder how censorship of material would come into play.
Jun 10, 2008 2:20 PM
Dec 2007
Well, it may have been an episode outside of the main plot, but don't forget that half of GITS SAC episodes are not related to the main plot either (from same author/scriptwriter).

And the themes and setting are so great and the character development so perfectly done for now, we can't really complain can we?

Awesome episode for me and I still love this series as much as any other Production IG show (they never let us down ;)).

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Jun 10, 2008 3:54 PM

Aug 2007
I really don't understand why people are moaning about this series being boring or wanting the main plot. I mean, come on here, this is the sixth episode. If you don't like the style or direction of the series, drop it.

It makes me feel sad, that so many people today have a problem with a series if it isn't ACTION, ACTION, ACTION. To me, one of the best things about this series is how varied the episodes are. Real Drive really deserves more attention than it's getting, seriously.
Jun 10, 2008 6:03 PM

Jan 2008
Gladius said:
I loved that episode. Didn't expect it to turn out the way it did.

kisami said:
it may have looked boring, but i didnt think it was.

Absolutely_Steve said:
I'm in agreement with Gladius on loving this episode.

Jacut said:
Awesome episode for me and I still love this series as much as any other Production IG show (they never let us down ;)).

Fayli said:
It makes me feel sad, that so many people today have a problem with a series if it isn't ACTION, ACTION, ACTION.

You guys ROCK! I'm proud to know you. When I was watching this epi, I thought, "This is really good writting. I hope it doesn't get to beat up on the forum."
Jun 10, 2008 6:27 PM

Feb 2008
I second datsunvic...

this episode makes me think more positively about the anime than i usually do
i have no objections if this anime turns out from sci-fi to be a sci-fi drama =)
mflatischler.tk - My Manga translations and transcriptions
Anime in Blu-ray
あなたの人種、年齢、宗教は問いません
Jun 10, 2008 6:45 PM

Oct 2007
The episode was a little boring in terms of enjoyment, but it did tell a pretty nice story, so I appreciated that aspect of it at least.

Jun 10, 2008 8:23 PM

Jun 2007
I agree with Gladius and Fayli. This episode was really good and had some information about the past. I was far from a filler so I don't see why people are calling it one.

There was one thing I was confused about. Ok we know the scientist lady liked Haru and he liked her. We knows because the letter Haru read was by written by him and sent to her. What confused me was what happened before. The man that owns his grandmothers company now (adopted son of the scientist lady), said the letter was in response to a letter his mother wrote. So what role did the grandmother play in the story? Was she just "the messenger" that gave Haru's letter to her daughter and vis versa?
Jun 10, 2008 8:40 PM
May 2008
such an underrated show, I wish someone faster would sub it just so we could get it weekly. Every character is great, it's very episodic with each one just having a small part of the overall plot, but it's still entertaining.

i just might haveto start watching the raws at this rate :D

DeathfireD said:
I agree with Gladius and Fayli. This episode was really good and had some information about the past. I was far from a filler so I don't see why people are calling it one.

There was one thing I was confused about. Ok we know the scientist lady liked Haru and he liked her. We knows because the letter Haru read was by written by him and sent to her. What confused me was what happened before. The man that owns his grandmothers company now (adopted son of the scientist lady), said the letter was in response to a letter his mother wrote. So what role did the grandmother play in the story? Was she just "the messenger" that gave Haru's letter to her daughter and vis versa?

the man that owns the company is her adopted son, all he did was donate the books, and give Minamo the note.

minamo's grandma was just a plot device, all she did was tell minamo about the book.
minamo thought the book belonged to her grandma, but it belonged to the corporate guys mother.
Jun 11, 2008 1:51 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Great episode, another nicely different episode. The story for this episode is well written. :D

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Jun 11, 2008 6:36 AM

Feb 2008
I was hoping Souta will read the book... oh well. it was an OK episode.

Souta is such a bishie XD

Jun 11, 2008 12:37 PM

Aug 2007
I loved this episode. Im glad this isn't just another action filled anime and is taking a more... Human approach. Reminds me of Dennou Coil at some point to say the truth.

Raising my score to a 9 because of this episode :)
Jun 11, 2008 2:37 PM

Sep 2007
pretty good episode. i liked the whole story about the book and it was really sad to see all those people only using their cyberbrains instead of reading real books. the part where minamo explained her feelings about reading books from the library (with the coffee-stains and how she relates to the former readers) was great.
Jun 11, 2008 9:17 PM

May 2008
Slow moving episode, but I liked how the letter tied in to Haru's past.

lol at how the touching last scene got destroyed by Last Aliance. \m/
Jun 12, 2008 6:13 PM

Dec 2007
Interesting episode, I liked the story about the book.
Jun 13, 2008 9:16 AM

Sep 2007
Woah, I loved this episode, it was pretty emotional and even hit me a little...

I can unterstand why people found it boring, it doesn't fit to the series, but it was still a very nice episode =)

Jun 24, 2008 10:03 PM
May 2008
I liked this episode as well. Having a couple of episodes on the "Zeitgeist" of this near future world makes it a better anime series IMO
Jun 25, 2008 11:09 PM

Jun 2007
hatebobbarker said:
such an underrated show, I wish someone faster would sub it just so we could get it weekly. Every character is great, it's very episodic with each one just having a small part of the overall plot, but it's still entertaining.

DeathfireD said:

the man that owns the company is her adopted son, all he did was donate the books, and give Minamo the note.

minamo's grandma was just a plot device, all she did was tell minamo about the book.
minamo thought the book belonged to her grandma, but it belonged to the corporate guys mother.

No, sorry I didn't make it clear. I was referring to the man's grandmother not Minamo's. I was asking what role his grandmother played in the story since apparently it was his step mother that was Haru's lover.
Jun 28, 2008 7:58 AM

Apr 2007
I actually shed a tear at the end.

A great episode, very well written. Minamo's words about reading a book as a book in front of you were so true, i just cannot read a story off a computer screen. It's just not the same at all.

I for one, would not mind if Real Drive stays with this episodic nature for a while longer, but a plot is needed (which im sure there is one.)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 11, 2008 8:21 AM

Jan 2008
It occured to me late, six episodes late, but considering the main protagonist lost consciousness in his 20's/30's and woke up in an older aged body, shouldnt his personality still be that of his younger self instead of the cliched typical old geezer routine we're currently enduring amid all the other bullshit?

Oh yeah, thats right. The writing on this show IS ALL-ENCOMPASSING IN ITS SHITINESS.

An asinine episode about the value of books in a digital age? What am I 12 years old? Get out of my face with that shit Shirow, wtf dude!?
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Jan 30, 2010 10:18 PM

Apr 2009
My heart, it hurts.

It was weird to be assaulted by the (awesome) ED when there were a few tears in my eyes.
Apr 1, 2010 3:13 AM
Jun 2009
That was a beautiful story. The ending was so touching, I almost cried. As a great lover of books, I understand the compulsion to read and the focus on just the book, so I think the montage captures that very well [the music helped]. It is a very good ep, telling a story of self-discovery [Minamo is obvious beginning to understand relationships] and memories resurfacing. Its a story of love, and loss. And it was spectacular. It was a nice change from the action too. This anime really varies is genre-per-ep.
Jun 5, 2014 10:18 AM

May 2012
A bit more of a relaxed episode but that ending was pretty touching.
Aug 8, 2014 7:13 PM

Aug 2008
I liked the mood of this episode. And I like how the main character loves reading real book. I am one too.
Aug 10, 2017 11:27 PM

Nov 2009
Unlike a number of people here, I prefer to read digital books. Dead tree books are a lot of trouble, because they're so fragile.
And all the best books are available only online as fan translaions from Japanese in the first place ^_^

DeathfireD said:
hatebobbarker said:

No, sorry I didn't make it clear. I was referring to the man's grandmother not Minamo's. I was asking what role his grandmother played in the story since apparently it was his step mother that was Haru's lover.

There is only one grandmother that is mentioned in the story - Minamo's.
The old lady in the picture is the man's stepmother. She is also the talented scientist and businesswoman, and she is the one who wrote a love letter to Haru.

Beatnik said:
It occured to me late, six episodes late, but considering the main protagonist lost consciousness in his 20's/30's and woke up in an older aged body, shouldnt his personality still be that of his younger self instead of the cliched typical old geezer routine we're currently enduring amid all the other bullshit?

Maybe being wheelchair-bound and generally weak is the source of his current personality?
Or maybe it's just the young girl protagonist who inspires him to act more like a parent.
Or maybe both.

Either way, his personality is actually fitting to be both 30 years old and 80 years old. People don't really change all that much - we just perceive a young shounen protagonist pushing himself too hard differently from a wheelchair-bound old man pushing himself too hard.

More topics from this board

Poll: » RD Sennou Chousashitsu Episode 22 Discussion

datsunvic - Nov 5, 2008

9 by AshRayKay »»
Feb 28, 7:00 PM

Poll: » RD Sennou Chousashitsu Episode 15 Discussion

cyruz - Oct 8, 2008

13 by AshRayKay »»
Dec 20, 2023 7:21 PM

Poll: » RD Sennou Chousashitsu Episode 7 Discussion

Darkreaper70 - Jun 11, 2008

20 by AshRayKay »»
Nov 30, 2023 7:23 PM

Poll: » RD Sennou Chousashitsu Episode 5 Discussion

cyruz - May 27, 2008

29 by AshRayKay »»
Nov 24, 2023 7:16 PM

Poll: » RD Sennou Chousashitsu Episode 26 Discussion

deletethiscrap - Nov 4, 2008

39 by St0rmblade »»
Jul 7, 2023 5:02 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.