Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Dec 25, 2010 7:41 PM

Mar 2010
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This is the way an OVA should be. Granted it was a bit short, but that just left me wanting more. It showed the potential of a second season. I found the other Angel Beats Speacial to be just rather stupid, not really adding anything to the story or entertaining me in the least as is too often the case with OVAs. I hope they get another season!
Dec 25, 2010 8:30 PM

Oct 2009
Lol, Otanashi 2 cool 4 school.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 25, 2010 8:30 PM

Jan 2008
I was quite sadden by this episode, not disappointed sadden, emotionally sadden. The fact that Otonashi 'stayed' behind to help other people get through as well as the fact that they stated 'he was waiting for someone'.

Does anyone know what it meant by 'Next Stage" at the end of the OVA/Ep? Kinda lost me there.
Dec 25, 2010 9:30 PM
Jun 2010
Paul said:
I was quite sadden by this episode, not disappointed sadden, emotionally sadden. The fact that Otonashi 'stayed' behind to help other people get through as well as the fact that they stated 'he was waiting for someone'.

Does anyone know what it meant by 'Next Stage" at the end of the OVA/Ep? Kinda lost me there.

Perhaps this is wishful thinking, but more specials/season 2? But it certainly is plausible that the blond guy and Otonashi could form a new organization, a second-generation SSS.
Dec 25, 2010 9:31 PM

Jul 2008
But this isn't what happened right? This was just what would have happened if he did stay behind.
Dec 25, 2010 9:35 PM
Nov 2009
GarLogan78 said:
But this isn't what happened right? This was just what would have happened if he did stay behind.

Thats what I want to believe.
Dec 25, 2010 10:12 PM

Jul 2010
So, based on the comments here I take it this is basically an alternate ending with Otanashi staying behind? Interesting. I had no idea who the blonde guy was in this episode.

Gaaah, I really want to watch this with subs. All I could find was Raw, Thai subs, and Spanish... >.>
Dec 25, 2010 10:29 PM
Jan 2008
Iilia said:
So, based on the comments here I take it this is basically an alternate ending with Otanashi staying behind? Interesting. I had no idea who the blonde guy was in this episode.

Gaaah, I really want to watch this with subs. All I could find was Raw, Thai subs, and Spanish... >.>

Mazui already did it.
Dec 25, 2010 10:43 PM

Jul 2010
Mazui? That's a torrent/download, isn't it? I always wait for the streams. But thanks anyway.
Dec 25, 2010 10:58 PM

May 2010
This episode is probably talking about his friends that he lost or something like that ....
Dec 25, 2010 10:59 PM

Nov 2010
Iilia said:
Mazui? That's a torrent/download, isn't it? I always wait for the streams. But thanks anyway.

hidden-anime.com got it subbed already, u can watch there :)

Dec 25, 2010 11:14 PM

Jul 2010
@MilkLover - Thank you! Just watched it. ^_^

Wow, totally different side to Otanashi there. I'd love a second season for Angel Beats with either of the endings they displayed. Err, well, maybe not the ending for the other OVA, though. Haha.

Of course, I liked the originally happy ending better, but this one would make for a better second season, I think. Then again, with the mystery of why they're there being removed, I'm not sure how interesting it would be. Ah, Key would probably think of something if they did decide to do it.
Dec 25, 2010 11:38 PM
Apr 2008
it could be that he didnt go back right away, got tired of waiting, and left to be reincarnated for the epilogue from episode 13
Dec 25, 2010 11:44 PM

Mar 2010
So Otonashi becomes the student council president, basically I think this OVA is about Otanashi waiting for people to join his rank? I mean now that everyone else has passed on, so his waiting for others or something and help them to move forward? heck I dont even understand, but well cool to see Otonashi with a much different and mature personality, he even gives this cool vibe around him... heeee :) maybe the next season(if I'm not mistaken there will be a season 2) will tell the story of Otanashi as the student council president? hurmmmm (=.=)
Check out my channel!
Erzat
Dec 26, 2010 12:49 AM

Jan 2009
mastersanzo20010 said:
it could be that he didnt go back right away, got tired of waiting, and left to be reincarnated for the epilogue from episode 13

this could be the explanation, good observation to tie up the reincarnation of otonoshi and kanade at the end of the TV series

but from first viewing of this i thought this is some kind of alternative ending you know some sort of visual novel game where there are different routes of the story so its like this for Angel Beats

so with this there might be a second season but they can totally forget making one too
degDec 26, 2010 12:53 AM
Dec 26, 2010 12:56 AM
Mar 2008
This basically shouts there will be a 2nd season. Meh.
@mastersanzo20010: interesting observation. Since we know time flows at different pace in the real world and, huh, the purgatory world(?), maybe that's what actually happened.
Dec 26, 2010 1:36 AM

Dec 2008
I loved it.

There should be an Otonashi After OVA or something. That was epic and has a lot of potential to go somewhere as long as Otonashi leads the way.
Will I fall in love someday? I wonder?

Dec 26, 2010 1:40 AM
Aug 2008
The person Otonashi was talking to reminds me at Edward Elric (FMA) xD. But the episode really looks like there will be a second season of AB. And I think that he was/is waiting for Tenshi.
Dec 26, 2010 2:09 AM

Jan 2009
lol ok i googled and wiki says this about Epilogue - An epilogue, or epilog, is a piece of writing at the end of a work of literature -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epilogue

so ye this episode is just an Alternative Ending to the TV series
Dec 26, 2010 4:01 AM

Oct 2009
Why don't they just make a visual novel out of Angel Beats already? xD They had a 'bad end' in the previous OVA and now they had an 'alternate ending' here too.

Dec 26, 2010 4:16 AM

Feb 2010
TheGreediest said:
GarLogan78 said:

Thats what I want to believe.

Me three. There are just too many possibilities right now, no point in guessing. It's all speculation at the moment. This might just be another ending type and then again maybe a prelude to 2nd season; no one really knows.

Still, Otonashi is 10 times cooler in this short. Seriously.
Dec 26, 2010 4:42 AM
Jul 2008
I wish this OVA would be longer, but Otanashi becoming president and telling off that student is good too.
Dec 26, 2010 5:28 AM

Jan 2009
Vento said:
Why don't they just make a visual novel out of Angel Beats already?

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-11-21/key-head/maeda-working-on-possible-angel-beats-game
We're the same. Nuisances with nowhere to go.
Dec 26, 2010 9:58 AM

Sep 2007
I like this much so more than the TV version. If only I had the editing-skills to replace the last scene of episode 13 with this, I'd be so happy...
SpadeDec 26, 2010 12:47 PM
Dec 26, 2010 11:22 AM

Jan 2010
Otonashi sounded so Izaya in this.
Dec 26, 2010 12:33 PM

Dec 2007
DoubleDango said:
Lol, Otanashi 2 cool 4 school.

indeed :D nice episode.
Dec 26, 2010 2:57 PM

Jan 2009
colddarkness said:
To me this seems like it took place before the epilogue of the original series. Otonashi wanted to stay behind and help other people that got sent to purgatory be able to move on. Even though Kanade left him, it's very possible he stayed for a while to help people out. Sometime later Otonashi himself finally moved on and that's where the epilogue to the original series comes in.

I have the same opinion. We didn't see him disappear in the final episode before the credits, and he was already living his next life in the epilogue.

So it is possible that this second epilogue is still in canon...

I wouldn't mind a second season either. A new team is formed under Otonashi's leadership as student council president, and they would help each other find their peace. At the final episode even Otonashi would find his and be able to move along to the scene of the original epilogue of the first season.
Dec 26, 2010 4:23 PM

Aug 2010
colddarkness said:
To me this seems like it took place before the epilogue of the original series. Otonashi wanted to stay behind and help other people that got sent to purgatory be able to move on. Even though Kanade left him, it's very possible he stayed for a while to help people out. Sometime later Otonashi himself finally moved on and that's where the epilogue to the original series comes in.

As for the "Next Stage" thing at the end, I don't really know what to say. It could be hinting at a new season. It's possible that it's saying that this epilogue is more like a preview of a new upcoming season.

This is basically what I'm thinking. If they did it this way it could have a similar type of ending as Gunbuster/Diebuster matching up. And that was awesome imo.

So here's hoping for a second season/next stage ;P
Dec 27, 2010 3:51 AM

Jun 2010
Angel Beats alternate ending, where Otonashi becomes the Student Council President, waiting for his dear Kanade, FOREVER ALONE.
Dec 27, 2010 4:52 AM

Nov 2010
aaaaaah!!
so that was just an alternate ending.....???..
meaning.....there wouldn't really be a second season?
o.0
Dec 27, 2010 1:19 PM

Jul 2009
2nd Season :O
Hmm i hope for a good one..

Dec 27, 2010 2:08 PM

Feb 2010
I'm pretty positive that this is just what would have happened if he stayed behind.

Think about it guys, Otonashi must have disappeared after episode 13 of Angel Beats, because when Kanade thanked him, he finally knew that his life had meant something. I doubt he could have any other regrets. Also, the last part of episode 13 means they must have met in their next life.

And as for the other OVA, I don't think of that as a bad end, I just figure it was a fun episode that could have taken place any time during middle of Angel Beats.

You don't have to pretend, everything seems to have ended happily if you think through it logically.
Dec 27, 2010 2:08 PM
Nov 2008
Well either way we know that the time-flow in the purgatory isn't linear. I mean Otonashi came into the world of the purgatory after Kanade died. And we know she died sometime after Otonashi since he gave her his heart.

Another thing to think about is that he had found his happiness so his coming into the purgatory is surprising. I somehow want to believe that he was sent to the purgatory to free all the student council members as well as teh angel that had spent there too much time.

I may be wrong but Kanade was there way before even the members of the brigade appeared. If you look at what Tenshi said is that she had already saved many people before Yuri came in the episode where she was talking about her loneliness. Hence my theory that Otanashi was sent there to liberate those that were blocked in there.
Dec 27, 2010 2:19 PM

Feb 2010
Ah, I think Nyquist's theory makes the most sense.

But I still think Otonashi disappeared once his purpose in that world was served, and met with Kanade in his next life. I have to believe this, as the thought of him alone in that world is too sad.
kingw0rmDec 28, 2010 11:49 AM
Dec 27, 2010 3:16 PM

Dec 2009
Hopefully not a second season since there is no reason to do one except wanting more money.
I have my own anime blog. It's called Anime Viking. Hope you'll you read it!

Dec 27, 2010 3:54 PM

Oct 2008
Disliked.

Would strongly prefer they just follow the original ending. It makes no sense that he would stay after the original ending in order to replace Tenshi as the antagonist so people could rebel against him.

Both ovas were pretty disappointing (this one much more so). I guess that is what happens when the main series clearly ends things.
Dec 27, 2010 5:40 PM

May 2010
quick, short and cool ;D

in this episode, you will die horribly... *laughs just as shion*
lightness vs. darkness
Nani mo kamo wo hoshigatteita Mayoeru mono no chikai
Mada miru sekai o tsukuridasu koto Kuchi hateteiku
Dec 27, 2010 9:38 PM

Apr 2009
Quickfox said:
I wish this OVA would be longer, but Otanashi becoming president and telling off that student is good too.

I thought so too ~
But, at first I thought this was just an alternate ending but then it said...
"Next Stage" ... what could that have meant, besides getting my hope up (:
Dec 27, 2010 10:43 PM

Nov 2010
Thank Heaven for Nyquist Post, finally someone who actually watched the show after reading the other posts here. Anyways, My Assumptions On the Epilogue:

The NPC's are speaking after praising Otonashi that he was waiting for someone, in which may indicate to either be both a person to perhaps succed him in helping others as on their journey through the purgatory and to leave happy.

As with many of us who dedicate something to anything, you want to ensure when your gone things will be in the right hands and maybe that might be a reason for this epilogue.

It worries me if Otonohashi is simply wanting to help more people out BUT the NPC's saying he is waiting for someone says to me he wants to leave satisfied so until he says it himself guess we all have to wait and see.

This Edward Elric look-a-alike (lol) might be the key to Otonashi's waiting, I'll dismiss the other statements about being some alternate world, retelling, whatever (rolls eyes) since it doesn't make sense since while watching this episode Otonohashi shouting at Elric (lol) during each sentence he mutters it displays scenes relevant to us reminding those that left purgatory.

Him being class rep would be a no brainer to be at since being the last one there alone is knowledgeable of what's going on in that world and in position of power to be there for any new people, not just that but to perhaps spot this person the NPC's are saying about him "waiting for someone" if Jun Maeda wrote it for that specific purpose.

After watching episode 13, we never saw Otononashi actually disappear except in the ending credits. Of course my assumptions could be dumb itself but I haven't read anything that could be possible. I definetely see myself focused too much on the "waiting" remark but that seems like a big clue to me.
Dec 28, 2010 3:52 AM

Oct 2008
I have to agree that this is likely to be set before the epilogue in the last episode.
It's called 'Another Epilogue' rather than 'An Alternate Epilogue" after all.

Otonashi seemed like he really wanted to help other people who make it to that world so chances are he might have decided to stay even though Kanade left. If that's really the case it makes me feel a little sad for Otonashi, but we know that he does eventually move on from the original epilogue.

It does seem like it's hinting at a season 2. I wonder how it would turn out though, seeing as all the characters (except Otonashi) would be different. If they do make a season 2 I hope it won't just be a repeat of everything that's already happened just with Otonashi in Kanade's place...
Dec 28, 2010 7:17 AM

Jan 2010
well i liked it , he is the only smart minded character in the whole series
and he still helps others
he is so cool and manly to wait for kanade =D

thus the story will keep continue until the world comes to an end .
Dec 28, 2010 8:12 AM
Apr 2009
Wow, Otonashi was pretty cool xD I liked this one, I just wish it was longer.
Dec 28, 2010 11:36 AM

Jun 2008
I liked the other ending better >w<
Dec 28, 2010 1:13 PM

Oct 2010
It was fantastic! In the short amount of time it's exactly what I wanted. I always felt that Otonashi at the end of the TV series of Angel beats had tears. Not for Kanade nor for being separated from her but for being left alone in this world. It was clearly said at the end that Otonashi is waiting for someone and it's obvious it is Kanade since he gets stuck in that world.

You should all know that the same portraying of Yui and Hinata being happy together was just a ideal of them being together. The same is of the portraying of Otonashi and Kanade together. It was just ideal BTW Otonashi looks so bad ass in the spoiler

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Dec 28, 2010 5:23 PM

Aug 2009
Other ending is waaaay better as it's happy. This could be for those who didn't like the other one.
Dec 28, 2010 6:59 PM

Sep 2009
This was an alternate ending? Huh, I've always thought that the original epilogue was just a "what-if" scene, not an actual ending itself. That aside, I enjoyed this short video and actually preferred it to the original ending. Otonashi was just BADASS.
Dec 28, 2010 8:06 PM

Apr 2008
Nyquist said:
Well either way we know that the time-flow in the purgatory isn't linear. I mean Otonashi came into the world of the purgatory after Kanade died. And we know she died sometime after Otonashi since he gave her his heart.

Another thing to think about is that he had found his happiness so his coming into the purgatory is surprising. I somehow want to believe that he was sent to the purgatory to free all the student council members as well as teh angel that had spent there too much time.

I may be wrong but Kanade was there way before even the members of the brigade appeared. If you look at what Tenshi said is that she had already saved many people before Yuri came in the episode where she was talking about her loneliness. Hence my theory that Otanashi was sent there to liberate those that were blocked in there.

Like Mr. Half Sampling Frequency here said, it's been established that time in this other world is non-linear with respect to our world. This could take place before the original epilogue. It could even take place after the original in some senses.

The part I don't really follow is what he'd be waiting for. There shouldn't be anything outside Otanashi's own power that can release him, and there's no reason for Kanade to return.
Dec 28, 2010 9:09 PM

Oct 2010
k0k0 said:
Other ending is waaaay better as it's happy. This could be for those who didn't like the other one.
The other one is not realistic or logical because someone already said we never saw Otonashi leave exactly. In fact I think they rushed some elements way too much, like TK.

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Dec 29, 2010 4:17 AM
Aug 2009
I don't think that this epilogue takes place before the other one.
That was also my assumption first but something that Otonashi said to this blond-haired guy made me think differently.

Taken from a subbed version:
Otonashi: ... come to the student council room. I'll always (zutto) be waiting there.

This word "always" and the statement of one the students that "Otonashi was waiting for someone" indicate -for me at least- that he sticked to his goal in wanting to help new students to move on and that he will never leave this world and go on like the others did. Maybe I'm just interpreting too much.
Dec 29, 2010 5:49 AM

Sep 2008
This was pretty sad. 5/5 but sad.

Reminds me of just how much potential Angel Beats had as a whole and how much better it could have been.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Episode 13 Another Epilogue

earthfairys - Oct 10, 2010

11 by KiroTheAssassin »»
Jun 27, 2022 3:51 PM

» Otonashi circle

JustAnotherShiro - Dec 14, 2019

1 by GreenClock »»
Dec 14, 2019 11:17 AM

» Angel Beats SPOILER

yg01 - May 25, 2018

6 by kevin_satron »»
Oct 4, 2018 4:52 AM

» How this connects to the end of the main series

fang3412 - Jun 6, 2015

1 by ibraheem234 »»
Nov 15, 2015 12:00 AM

Poll: » Angel Beats the best anime....../Another Epilogue

trabeus1 - Sep 10, 2013

38 by Luna »»
Sep 11, 2013 12:23 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.