Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 19, 2010 10:16 PM

Sep 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Oh my, "In the light of the [Database Guideline] changes"

But surely this was a disappointment.
Nov 19, 2010 10:19 PM

Nov 2007
I didn't mind it. I'm disappointed it's reportedly cancelled though. They go set up an incident then it's left all unresolved. :(
Nov 20, 2010 7:54 AM

Sep 2008
After years of them fighting against adding this and now they do? Its been quite a while since I saw this, disappointing that they will never resolve the story though.
Nov 20, 2010 8:00 AM

Nov 2008
Skadi said:
After years of them fighting against adding this and now they do? Its been quite a while since I saw this, disappointing that they will never resolve the story though.

True but we will get a proper Touhou anime in a year or two.

Nov 20, 2010 9:08 AM

Feb 2009
I love Nakahara Mai's Reimu so much wbvobvowb vobwo ;_;
Nov 21, 2010 6:34 AM

Dec 2007
Hoppy said:

Not unless ZUN gives in.
He doesn't want Touhou to loose its thunder/popularity, and giving it an actual anime may do that. Look at Higurashi...

Unless you were talking about the unofficial anime from ufotable that's coming out...
Nov 21, 2010 4:58 PM

May 2007
You mean it kills the 'fan' base, don't worry, it's already dead filled with the generic weeaboo ones (I know this may sound ironic.)

Just look at Umineko.

herp derp
Nov 22, 2010 2:23 PM

Apr 2009
If I were ZUN, I wouldn't give in and no matter what would prevent production of a TV series. Higurashi, Umineko, Clannad, Air, Kanon, Chaos;Head, Fate/stay night, Tsukihime (oh, wait this one does not exist), Togainu no Chi, Yosuga no Sora, Utawarerumono, 11Eyes and so on... you get the pattern, right?
The adaptations of all these visual novels turned out to be weak and lame (After Story is an exception, all right) and now when you say, for example, "Tsukihime", people say "oh, that was a decent anime".

And that's what ZUN wants to protect touhou from. When you hear 'touhou', you have in mind a fuckton of bullets and mind screwing patterns, and should the anime be produced... well, it's not saying too much that a lot of people would call touhou an anime.

Nov 23, 2010 1:38 PM

Dec 2007
ZoiQ said:
You mean it kills the 'fan' base, don't worry, it's already dead filled with the generic weeaboo ones (I know this may sound ironic.)

Just look at Umineko.

herp derp

Blackiris said:
If I were ZUN, I wouldn't give in and no matter what would prevent production of a TV series. Higurashi, Umineko, Clannad, Air, Kanon, Chaos;Head, Fate/stay night, Tsukihime (oh, wait this one does not exist), Togainu no Chi, Yosuga no Sora, Utawarerumono, 11Eyes and so on... you get the pattern, right?
The adaptations of all these visual novels turned out to be weak and lame (After Story is an exception, all right) and now when you say, for example, "Tsukihime", people say "oh, that was a decent anime".

And that's what ZUN wants to protect touhou from. When you hear 'touhou', you have in mind a fuckton of bullets and mind screwing patterns, and should the anime be produced... well, it's not saying too much that a lot of people would call touhou an anime.

TRUTH (...sadly)

Though Umineko is a strange case. I've heard from people that haven't played/read the visual novel it was actually an "ok" anime. However, from people who have, their response was quite the opposite (Myself included)...
Then again, this can be applied to most of the animes Blackiris mentioned.... Eh heh.
MikiyaNov 23, 2010 2:03 PM
Dec 2, 2010 7:49 PM

Aug 2008
Touhou, personally thinking, should get animated. From what I've read, ZUN isn't allowing people to make an anime because the production team would somehow mess up the story.

First of all, if you have actually played a Touhou game, you realize you don't play it for the story. You play it for the challenge and the pretty colors of magical bullets. I think we can all agree here that the stories for the games are lackluster, at best.

The only Touhou stories that are actually good tend to come from the doujins that are made from it. ZUN thinks they're pretty good.

Now, there are a few things that could be a problem for adapting this. One being the portrayal of the characters. The characters in this series could possibly only get a part of their personalities retained and become character archetypes.

Another is the portrayal of danmaku battles. Once again, playing the games will get you to admire the beauty of the colorful bullets while you face the difficulty of dodging everything onscreen. There is a possibility the magic wouldn't be transitioned well into an anime mainly for lazy animators reasons.

Everything else, including the soundtrack, would probably be fine.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 5, 2010 1:00 PM

Aug 2009
Honestly, I want to see a Touhou anime, just because it would be about Gensokyo, Reimu, Marisa, Sakuya, Remilia, Kaguya, Reisen, Alice, Cirno... oh, I got carried away.
But there are quite a few problems. First, the plot.
CkretAznMan said:
I think we can all agree here that the stories for the games are lackluster, at best.
Precisely.
Then the characters. Most information about them was made up by fans, I don't think any studio would use it. But then fans would be angry, because the girls would be out of character, that's also no good. (And btw, no studio would shoot an anime with only girls as heroes. Just watch OreImo #8)
And at last, an anime would cause lots of people unrelated to danmaku to attract to Touhou franchise, which would just destroy it in the worst case.
So, well, no professional Touhou anime in the near future, as I see it.
And sorry for the language
magicmasterDec 5, 2010 9:45 PM
Dec 5, 2010 7:59 PM

Jan 2010
Oh, wow. They finally added it to MAL.

Anywho,

Asako said:
I didn't mind it. I'm disappointed it's reportedly cancelled though. They go set up an incident then it's left all unresolved. :(

Word on the street is that it's not canceled, just in development hell. They're apparently having trouble getting the cast together again. Not terribly surprising given the high profile of the cast.
Dec 6, 2010 12:14 PM

May 2009
This was nice. Lots of great seiyuus. I wouldn't mind more Touhou anime in the future.
Dec 10, 2010 6:25 PM
Feb 2009
I really liked this and I look forward to a Touhou anime soon. I liked how they portrayed the spell cards as one-off power attacks, only they need more bullets to come across as actual danmakus.

I do understand that ZUN feels quite hesitant about an anime adaptation though, considering how dreadful the Tsukihime anime is compared to the VN. The doujins are fine, so ZUN is OK with that, but animation is a whole 'nother story, and you have to be more careful with that.
Dec 26, 2010 1:33 PM

Oct 2009
Hoppy said:
Skadi said:

Let's hope so...
Dec 31, 2010 8:21 PM

Jan 2010
There's some kinda demo up for the second part.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUJrypYFpxU
Jan 1, 2011 1:54 PM

Dec 2009
awww ... neveeending cliffhanger TwT
Jan 4, 2011 10:30 PM

Mar 2008
Daverost said:
There's some kinda demo up for the second part.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUJrypYFpxU

alright! ep2 coming this year~
Apr 3, 2011 1:03 PM

Mar 2011
1 Touhou episode per year o_O
Apr 11, 2011 1:42 PM

Apr 2009
Da_Nuke said:
I really liked this and I look forward to a Touhou anime soon. I liked how they portrayed the spell cards as one-off power attacks, only they need more bullets to come across as actual danmakus.

I do understand that ZUN feels quite hesitant about an anime adaptation though, considering how dreadful the Tsukihime anime is compared to the VN. The doujins are fine, so ZUN is OK with that, but animation is a whole 'nother story, and you have to be more careful with that.

Err, to start with, Tsukihime is a vn (a very good one, sure) and its story can be said to be top-notch. Its adaptation... well, it wasn not an adaptation to begin with as there's barely any original plot covered. Touhou, on the other hand, is a danmaku game without as much as a plot that would cover more than 2 or 3 pages (per one game) of manuscript. A small universe created by ZUN, has been expanded to huge size mainly by fans. "Touhou: the anime" should not be an adaptation of those games, but rather a brand new story featuring the well-known characters. That's what people expect. And that's what we'll never get.

Anyway, I hope to see the second episode this year, as this bloody cliffhanger doesn't want to leave my mind.

Jun 11, 2011 6:42 AM

Feb 2011
Ooops...

Nothing to expect but still It's quite disappointing.
Oct 16, 2011 10:19 AM

Mar 2011
Okay, so that was a nice little slice of Gensokyo. A shame it will struggle to get more epsiodes, but thats the curse of fan made stuff.

I wouldnt mind a touhou anime, but rather than a series, I'd prefer it to have a collection of loosly fitting OVA's.

We have the potential for a male protagonist (if one is needed) in Rinnosuke, and I'm reading curiosities of lotus asia atm, and thoroughly enjoying it!

And agaisnt the arguments of why it'd be crap, well, the arguments seem to be based on 'all VN to anime adaptations are crap, so to would this be'

Which I think is nonsense. First, touhou is not a VN, its a setting made up of several shooting games with their little bits of dialouge, and loads of doujin offshoots, with a couple of semi official publications. Unless they try to do an OVA of the various games storylines, they can create a myriad of tales all set in Gensokyo, based around the relations between the various characters (who gets on with who, who doesnt get on with who).

Also, I dislike the argument of 'the anime wasnt as good as the VN, therefore the anime is shit'. Its the same style of argument as 'Futurama isnt as good as Simpsons therefore Futurama is shit' which I heard a lot when the latter first came out. Or the argument of 'dont bother watching that film, it's not as good as the book'. It's dumb. It's like saying 'dont bother eating biscuits because they're not as good as cake'. I agree that cake is better then biscuits, but that doesnt mean I dont like biscuits!

Grrrrr....it makes me so mad!
Oct 24, 2011 4:42 AM

Dec 2009
This was pretty interesting. Although I this episode didn't get a proper series to finish the story, I at least got to see my favorite touhou, "Marissa". Im happy with just that.
Nov 7, 2011 9:27 PM

Jul 2010
i just wish i knew how to animate so i can do this shit myself, lol
but if were gonna have an anime, we need a male protag entering this place. he can be an observer or watev.

and OVA idea is really good, than they dont have to worry about crap like this "we'll never get our second episode".

i kinda agree with the whole "zun wants it be just a game blah blah blah" but an anime could draw a lot of interest to touhou. sure it wouldnt be anything like the game, but hey, it would be cool to see our fav characters having fun and doing somthing other than dodging rain.

Mar 30, 2012 10:30 PM

May 2011
I'm glad Zun is not allowing this to be an official anime, it's a great way for keeping it genuine. Getting more and more interested in the Touhou theme now, really enjoying the experience. ^^
Apr 4, 2012 8:23 PM

Oct 2009
PrometheusZero said:
Okay, so that was a nice little slice of Gensokyo. A shame it will struggle to get more epsiodes, but thats the curse of fan made stuff.
I wouldnt mind a touhou anime, but rather than a series, I'd prefer it to have a collection of loosly fitting OVA's.
We have the potential for a male protagonist (if one is needed) in Rinnosuke, and I'm reading curiosities of lotus asia atm, and thoroughly enjoying it!
And agaisnt the arguments of why it'd be crap, well, the arguments seem to be based on 'all VN to anime adaptations are crap, so to would this be'
Which I think is nonsense. First, touhou is not a VN, its a setting made up of several shooting games with their little bits of dialouge, and loads of doujin offshoots, with a couple of semi official publications. Unless they try to do an OVA of the various games storylines, they can create a myriad of tales all set in Gensokyo, based around the relations between the various characters (who gets on with who, who doesnt get on with who).
Also, I dislike the argument of 'the anime wasnt as good as the VN, therefore the anime is shit'. Its the same style of argument as 'Futurama isnt as good as Simpsons therefore Futurama is shit' which I heard a lot when the latter first came out. Or the argument of 'dont bother watching that film, it's not as good as the book'. It's dumb. It's like saying 'dont bother eating biscuits because they're not as good as cake'. I agree that cake is better then biscuits, but that doesnt mean I dont like biscuits!
Grrrrr....it makes me so mad!
This^

I like the idea of doing OVAs for the games, hell, even doing a anime adaption of Silent Sinner in Blue or one of the other manga sounds good to me.

I don't like how the arguments against a Touhou anime (all the ones I've seen) are always something along the lines of what Kenshin said about not being "genuine" anymore, or about fans liking the anime and not bothering with the games. They are stupid reasons.

Maybe Zun will change his mind once he gets low on beer money...?
I hope he changes his mind...

BTW any news on episode 2?
GogettersApr 4, 2012 8:28 PM
Nov 15, 2012 9:32 PM

Nov 2011
Besides opening scenes, this first episode was pretty lame OVA to me.
Feb 7, 2014 11:11 AM
Jul 2018
Well that was disappointing, especially after i watched Fantasy Kaleidoscope which had amazing animation and a lot more interesting plot and more Touhou references. I know i shouldn't compare different series like that but they're both doujin anime.

This looked like a simple filler episode of a very boring random mahou shoujo series and animation for a lack of a better word simply sucked.

I hope second episode is better cause i saw it took them 4 years to make it so it would just be a waste of time if the only redeeming quality in this series are the seyuu and i have to say that i liked the voice acting in Fantasy Kaleidoscope a lot better and it was made by one person so that says something about the production quality of both series.

And horrible sound mixing in the first minute, couldn't hear what the narrator was saying.
Jan 2, 2015 11:56 AM

May 2014
~ B O R I N G ~
Feb 10, 2015 7:06 AM

Oct 2013
lol @ 13:37
was fairly amusing ^0^
[/quote]
Sep 26, 2015 8:44 AM

Feb 2013
Hm, pretty boring.
Oct 31, 2015 2:55 PM

Jan 2012
Lame art.

Jul 28, 2019 8:02 AM

May 2018
Nothing interesting as of now, we only just got to see some characters and a thief in this episode.

Jan 12, 2023 6:10 PM

Dec 2018
i like the art style, even if some of it is wonky. we have our first incident!

More topics from this board

» Is Touhou for certified hood niggas

putaslayer - Mar 29

5 by Nightmare1266 »»
Apr 6, 8:46 PM

» Episode 4

Treepy - Nov 14, 2021

18 by Siranto1 »»
Sep 28, 2023 11:26 AM

Poll: » Touhou Niji Sousaku Doujin Anime: Musou Kakyou Episode 4 Discussion

Ranacchi - May 17, 2023

2 by Siranto1 »»
Sep 28, 2023 11:18 AM

» Why is this on mal but Fantasy Kaleidoscope isn't ?

Joachim_mal - Oct 9, 2021

10 by Aeroblade »»
May 17, 2023 3:38 AM

» When will this anime be finished?

Tsubaki13 - Aug 18, 2013

21 by rockrick »»
Feb 28, 2023 7:47 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.