Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jun 22, 3:03 PM
Jul 2019
As a Yuri fans I'm tired of always getting played with.
What happened everyone was hyping this up to be a yuri anime, even saw kisses on Twitter so I was excited to watch only to at the end be disappointed by another yuri bait show
Theannoy3rd1Jun 22, 3:07 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 22, 3:26 PM

Jan 2011
This isn't close to Yuri bait. Show by rock is more yuri bait than this show.
I haven't updated in years but now I have changed that. I'll be free soon.
Jun 22, 3:26 PM

Apr 2010
The creators were very honest when they said it wasn't a yuri anime, but if people wanted to think it was they were free to do so.
Jun 22, 3:40 PM

Sep 2013
You can argue that the show was never meant to be yuri, but then why did they have the kiss at all? Just to get the audience wondering?

Yoru was asked about having a boyfriend, and she says "I have someone I'm interested in."
Kano kisses Yoru, touches her lips, gets embarrassed, and runs away.
Yoru asks Kano about the kiss, and teases her for being so meek about it.
Kano gets a bike license to ride with Yoru and go out, with just the two of them.

I don't know why you'd write some of these scenes into the story if it's "just girls being girls. typical galpal behavior."
RetoleeJun 22, 5:12 PM
Jun 22, 4:14 PM
Jul 2022
Retolee said:
You can argue that the show was never meant to be yuri, but then why did they have the kiss at all? Just to get the audience wondering?

They also went out of their way to hint a couple times at Kiui and Koharu. Nothing wrong with it but seems a bit unnecessary if they had such a hard stance against it officially.
Jun 22, 4:27 PM

Nov 2013
This is what happens when people don't interact with real people; in this case with real girls. Girls (besties) do cuddle, kiss on cheeks and even sleep in the same bad. It's common and perfectly normal behavior among girls. Doesn't mean they have to be gay for each other. Again, this is what happens when for many knowledge about girls and relationships comes from anime/movies/twitter.

It's so pathetic when you see a boy and a girl having the most basic conversation and then notice people jumping the gun and talking about romance and be like: "oMg ThIs iS LoVe!". Or, when a girl kisses another on the cheek, smiles at another girl, holds their hand, and people are like "oMg tHiS iS YuRi!".

Keep your degeneracy in check and don't ruin perfectly normal relationships please.

For starters, this show has no "girls love" in genres; this was never meant to be Yuri.

In short, you played yourself. No offense.
Jun 22, 4:28 PM

May 2015
Check out Seiyuu Radio no Uraomote if you would like to see something worse. Two girls bathing together and grabbing each others boobs for no other reason than yuri-baiting fan-service, without any previous sexual tension or romantic build up or any kind of aftermath.
IshitatesoJun 22, 4:33 PM
夏草や 兵どもが 夢の跡
Jun 22, 4:38 PM

Jul 2015
So you guys are surprised because it ended just like 99,9% of shows with all female cast?
Pretty sure that other currently airing anime about musical girls had actual love confession.

Jun 22, 4:39 PM
Jan 2019
Sigmar-Unberogen said:
This is what happens when people don't interact with real people; in this case with real girls. Girls (besties) do cuddle, kiss on cheeks and even sleep in the same bad. It's common and perfectly normal behavior among girls. Doesn't mean they have to be gay for each other. Again, this is what happens when for many knowledge about girls and relationships comes from anime/movies/twitter.

It's so pathetic when you see a boy and a girl having the most basic conversation and then notice people jumping the gun and talking about romance and be like: "oMg ThIs iS LoVe!". Or, when a girl kisses another on the cheek, smiles at another girl, holds their hand, and people are like "oMg tHiS iS YuRi!".

Keep your degeneracy in check and don't ruin perfectly normal relationships please.

For starters, this show has no "girls love" in genres; this was never meant to be Yuri.

In short, you played yourself. No offense.

I might have to disagree here? Of course you’re right that everyone has different physical boundaries and kisses don’t have to mean feelings especially in female friendships where it’s common, but the way the kiss in this show was directed was 100% Yuri bait. The lingering silence, the hand on cheek in disbelief, the blushing, the running away out of embarrassment.

I personally didn’t know about the official statement from the creators and that’s totally on me, but I agree with the others that it still feels like they played us a little with moments like that.
Jun 22, 4:55 PM

Nov 2013
AmooWatches said:
the way the kiss in this show was directed was 100% Yuri bait. The lingering silence, the hand on cheek in disbelief, the blushing, the running away out of embarrassment.
Dunno mate, to me it was just a gratitude kiss with no implications for possible romantic relationship developing from now on. Embarrassment can easily be explained by how unexpectedly it happened. Again, such behaviour is more common in girls than in guys. If guys were to do it, it's almost always guaranteed to be a gay relationship considering how uncommon that is.

I just don't see any Yuri bait in this. There are plenty of shows that do it, but I'd disagree here. You can be entitled to your opinion though.
Jun 22, 4:58 PM
Jan 2019
Sigmar-Unberogen said:
AmooWatches said:
the way the kiss in this show was directed was 100% Yuri bait. The lingering silence, the hand on cheek in disbelief, the blushing, the running away out of embarrassment.
Dunno mate, to me it was just a gratitude kiss with no implications for possible romantic relationship developing from now on. Embarrassment can easily be explained by how unexpectedly it happened. Again, such behaviour is more common in girls than in guys. If guys were to do it, it's almost always guaranteed to be a gay relationship considering how uncommon that is.

I just don't see any Yuri bait in this. There are plenty of shows that do it, but I'd disagree here. You can be entitled to your opinion though.

Fair enough, I’m fine to agree to disagree on this, and tbh I don’t think I care about this topic enough to mind either way if I’m right or wrong lol. You’re right that loads of shows do it way worse than this
Jun 22, 5:05 PM

Aug 2014
Not as bad as Hibike euphonium, but really close. Man it's sucks to be a Yuri fan, we either get horrible Yuri bait like in this case or we get a proper Yuri anime but with terrible animation like Sasakoi. Can't we get one good Yuri anime per season?? That's all I'm asking...

Also I'm reading the comments on this post and cringing...
How come when people ship het pairings with barely any interaction it's all fine, but when it comes to Yuri the girls can literally kiss and confess their love to each other, but people still say they are just friends... I fucking hate heteronormativity...
DarK-LaWJun 22, 5:13 PM
Jun 22, 5:41 PM
Jun 2019
Bro's crying bc a music anime that no one said it will have romance, doesn't have romance, LMAO
Jun 22, 5:43 PM
May 2011
Reply to DarK-LaW
Not as bad as Hibike euphonium, but really close. Man it's sucks to be a Yuri fan, we either get horrible Yuri bait like in this case or we get a proper Yuri anime but with terrible animation like Sasakoi. Can't we get one good Yuri anime per season?? That's all I'm asking...

Also I'm reading the comments on this post and cringing...
How come when people ship het pairings with barely any interaction it's all fine, but when it comes to Yuri the girls can literally kiss and confess their love to each other, but people still say they are just friends... I fucking hate heteronormativity...
DarK-LaW said:
Can't we get one good Yuri anime

Come on. What about-

DarK-LaW said:
per season??

Whoa whoa whoa. Let's not get too crazy now. I'm surprised we've gotten as much as we have over the past year. It'd be nice if it continued, but with nothing visible over the horizon, it looks like the run is over.
Jun 22, 6:11 PM
best $30 i spent

Oct 2023
D: girls band anime isn’t romance
Jun 22, 8:11 PM
Apr 2024
Reply to Sigmar-Unberogen
AmooWatches said:

@Sigmar-Unberogen Yeah no, that kiss was definitely framed as more than a "gratitude kiss". Just flip Kano or to be a man, and it plays out like a stereotypical rom-com scene.

The way Kano looks up with her hand in front of her mouth, the way she hurries out after realizing she "made her move" in the moment, and the way Yoru blushes while touching the spot here Kano kissed her - Seriously, you should watch more romance, because this is every generic romance scene where the love interests have their first moment of intimacy.

Like, I understand your point that girls/women are more physically affectionate with each other, but context matters here. Kissing each other on the cheek when greeting each other is normal, but kissing during an intimate moment between the two of them, especially when they've never been that close before, can easily be interpreted as romantic.
Average MAL user's media literacy:
Marinate1016 said:
Not reading allat cause I don’t care. Tensura peak. Have a good one tho
Jun 22, 8:31 PM

Sep 2016
Reply to TiagoCosta
The creators were very honest when they said it wasn't a yuri anime, but if people wanted to think it was they were free to do so.
@TiagoCosta nah he's very dishonest
if this wasn't a yuri show then why did he insert so much bait, lesbians and kisses in the content?
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Jun 22, 8:40 PM

Oct 2017
My horny theory is that there was gonna be Yuri between Kano and Mahiru initially, also better developments for Koharu, Kano's dad and the sundolls
But for some reason they had to cut the anime from a 24 season to just 11 episodes
(maybe one (of many) of the reasons was that they spent all of the budget on episode one)

Jun 22, 10:48 PM

Mar 2008
Reply to Piromysl
So you guys are surprised because it ended just like 99,9% of shows with all female cast?
Pretty sure that other currently airing anime about musical girls had actual love confession.
@Piromysl It did, but nothing has become of that either as of current episode.
Jun 23, 1:21 AM
Aug 2021
Who tf cares, if it was a yuri I'd (probably) still like it. The fact it's not one genre has no effect on the show + if they did do romance it would probably be rushed due to the fight and we'd end up with a climax that side lines the other characters to focus on the romance which doesn't work with this shows core themes.
Jun 23, 1:23 AM

Oct 2018
Thank God I dropped this shit after the forced drama episode. If I had known that the writer is the person behind Jaku-Chara, I wouldn't have started watching, my bad for following my friend's recommendation.
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Perhaps, this is hell.
Jun 23, 1:45 AM

Dec 2021
The state of yuribait discourse damn....

No, shows aren't "yuribait" if romance isn't the central characteristic of the show, unless one of the characters explicitly dates a guy. CGDCT shows aren't yuribait, neither is YoruKura. Just because Kano and Mahiru don't go on dates and have a lip-to-lip kiss doesn't mean the romance does not exist.
Jun 23, 2:38 AM

Nov 2013
stevejawbs said:
Seriously, you should watch more romance, because this is every generic romance scene where the love interests have their first moment of intimacy.
That's the problem, romance in anime and other media doesn't depict how it actually works, in most cases. It's baffling to me how you'd call that kiss scene the first moment of intimacy. All the blushing and pause is due to unexpectedness, even Kano did it on a whim without giving it much thought other than wanting to show gratitude as I said. Btw, I wasn't talking about kiss on cheek as a greeting, that's very common between men too in certain countries. Girls do tend to show love more, especially to besties. I understand why your average anime viewer would interpret them as "gay moments", but in reality, more often than not it's just a simple tease or has no romance involved at all. There was no hint for romance between the two prior to the kiss scene, and there was none after as expected.
To me the scene wasn't that big of a deal. As a Yuri-bait this scene IMO is one of the weakest examples.
There was the same outrage with Lico-Rico. I remember people losing their shit over Yuri that was never there. It's like Yuri lovers are desperate for Yuri even in shows that are not tagged as Yuri, and then they get mad or disappointed it wasn't Yuri. Like, seriously bro?

Anyways, you do you, I'm not judging anyone or something, I'm just not convinced that was a Yuri bait in any way. Perfectly normal thing that can happen between two non-yuri girls.
Jun 23, 3:02 AM

May 2015
It was never proclaimed as yuri anime in the first place. What it basically rounds down to is people hyping up their expectations based on their own perception and getting disappointed because it turned out not what they expected.

It might be baity just like any other anime with female cast but not outrageously so, because all their behaviour is just as normally falls into friendship category.

If yuri is what you prefer just interpret their interactions as you like, nothing stops you from shipping, but they don't have to be confirmed canon for that.
Jun 23, 3:28 AM

May 2015
What you guys should keep in mind is that yuri-bait is a thing exactly for the reason of what is happening in this thread. It generates controversy, expectations, shipping and in consequence the name of the anime spreads easily in social media exactly like it did happen after the kiss scene you are argueing about. It is a marketing tool, that is widely used, usually at the end of episodes and then when everybody and their dog get pissed up and talk about it the director/studio/streaming service/whomever counts the income gets happy. So if you dislike yuri-bait don't make threads like this because you are the reason for it to be used all the time in certain type of anime.
IshitatesoJun 23, 6:20 AM
夏草や 兵どもが 夢の跡
Jun 23, 3:40 AM
Dec 2020
You got played by your own head canon.
Jun 23, 4:01 AM

Apr 2024
nahh!
I dont think you are a yuri-fan, OP.
this thread was created just to be a bait thread.
Jun 23, 6:33 AM
Apr 2024
GangsterCat said:
if this wasn't a yuri show then why did he insert so much bait, lesbians and kisses in the content?

Headcanons isn't yuri so stop lying
Jun 23, 8:39 AM

Mar 2021
I don't think a confession or any other heavy romance would have fit in the end without feeling rushed.

Instead, after their live performance, Mahiru and Kano have kept an almost intimate closeness, handholding while reading the credits and maybe leaning into each other. That way the show makes it clear their relationship has 'romantic tendencies' and will develop into a Yuri without having to rush a full-on confession scene or something similar.
Jun 23, 9:07 AM
Sep 2022
Yuri bait is as old as anime, but in recent times much older. When a Director comments that he leaves it to the interpretation of the viewer, we are already off to a bad start. All this is marketing, as they said in a previous comment, you put in a "Yuri" scene and immediately generate an impact and attract more people to the program, simply to then disappoint at the end, leaving it in a Yuri bait, the same as with GBC in this same one. season, but to be fair neither GBC nor this anime is about romance, nor are they classified as Yuri or anything, they are about music and that's it, and then the viewer who wants me to play ships haha
Jun 23, 1:50 PM

Jan 2021
Yuri bait is what you called to whatever didn't lived to your yuri headcanon.
spiritual successor of lord rothchild.
Jun 23, 4:27 PM
May 2024
The signs that Kano liked or fell in love with Mahiru were very clear, but from the start I was suspicious that in the end it would end up like this. I just finished watching the last episode but it tends to be too rushed and forced. Kano's kiss to Mahiru seemed like just a passing wind

I hope there's at least an OVA that focuses on mahiru & Kano, subtext or undertone doesn't matter either It's a shame their relationship wasn't developed any further

doga kobo must be held responsible for creating the "Kano kisses Mahiru" scene, frankly I'm sick of yuri bait!!
Jun 23, 7:15 PM
Sep 2018
Reply to Sigmar-Unberogen
stevejawbs said:
Seriously, you should watch more romance, because this is every generic romance scene where the love interests have their first moment of intimacy.
That's the problem, romance in anime and other media doesn't depict how it actually works, in most cases. It's baffling to me how you'd call that kiss scene the first moment of intimacy. All the blushing and pause is due to unexpectedness, even Kano did it on a whim without giving it much thought other than wanting to show gratitude as I said. Btw, I wasn't talking about kiss on cheek as a greeting, that's very common between men too in certain countries. Girls do tend to show love more, especially to besties. I understand why your average anime viewer would interpret them as "gay moments", but in reality, more often than not it's just a simple tease or has no romance involved at all. There was no hint for romance between the two prior to the kiss scene, and there was none after as expected.
To me the scene wasn't that big of a deal. As a Yuri-bait this scene IMO is one of the weakest examples.
There was the same outrage with Lico-Rico. I remember people losing their shit over Yuri that was never there. It's like Yuri lovers are desperate for Yuri even in shows that are not tagged as Yuri, and then they get mad or disappointed it wasn't Yuri. Like, seriously bro?

Anyways, you do you, I'm not judging anyone or something, I'm just not convinced that was a Yuri bait in any way. Perfectly normal thing that can happen between two non-yuri girls.
@Sigmar-Unberogen Good job picking tan example show so non-yuri that it even had official bridal art merch of the two MCs ;)

Of course the real problem is as always creators being afraid to include explicit gays due to societal pressures in Japan, which leaves people with only guesswork of whether or not something was meant to portray romantic interest or not (just watch bandai trying to backtrack on witch from mercury because gay = bad). Jellyfish isn't an unrealistic portrayal for either path, so of course people interpret it differently.

And yes, there are also people who claim anything with more than one girl in it is yuri, just like there are people who claim even explicit yuri isn't.
Jun 23, 8:30 PM
Jun 2023
Reply to KanekoKTIA
Who tf cares, if it was a yuri I'd (probably) still like it. The fact it's not one genre has no effect on the show + if they did do romance it would probably be rushed due to the fight and we'd end up with a climax that side lines the other characters to focus on the romance which doesn't work with this shows core themes.
@KanekoKTIA Nailed it. People are already griping about the ending being rushed. Imagine if they tried to add a romance subplot to it lmao.
Jun 24, 7:39 AM

Feb 2021
You haven't seen LycoReco then
Jun 24, 8:40 AM

Sep 2016
Reply to texasdes
GangsterCat said:

Headcanons isn't yuri so stop lying
@Koyorides_
?
Mei is blatantly super gay
Kano's "I love you" to Mei & Mahiru and their reaction
Kano kissing Mahiru and Mahiru teasing her about it

rewatch the, you speedwatcher
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Jun 24, 10:11 AM
Apr 2024
GangsterCat said:
@Koyorides_
?

That has never happened lol,I never speed watched or skipped one second of this anime
They are close freinds and not lesbians
Quit making headcanons and watch a yuri anime if you are that frustrated
Jun 24, 11:13 AM

Aug 2008
I figured it was just bad writing, having two get especially close and then completely drop it. That bike episode was just filler really, after it she never touched it again. Just there for the fanservice and a pointless introduction of that plastic surgery woman.
Jun 24, 11:42 AM
Feb 2023
Plot hole Kano kiss Yoru still mystery
Jun 24, 12:13 PM
Nov 2018
I heard that the Light Novel is Yuri, so I'm assuming more happened that the anime didn't have time to fit in. So in that case, the anime isn't Yuri bait since the actual source material has the characters together
Jun 25, 6:38 AM

Sep 2016
Reply to texasdes
GangsterCat said:
@Koyorides_
?

That has never happened lol,I never speed watched or skipped one second of this anime
They are close freinds and not lesbians
Quit making headcanons and watch a yuri anime if you are that frustrated
@Koyorides_ I have nothing to say. you didn't watch the anime.
CrossAnge

Jun 25, 6:39 AM
Apr 2024
GangsterCat said:

I did and they are not lesbians, sorry that you didn't have close freinds to actually experience love in platonic relationships
Jun 25, 4:03 PM
Apr 2023
I wouldnt calk this yuri bait it's still the 1st season and if you where watching it there really wasn't any time for romance I think it's quite likely they have some sort of relationship next season if they choose to do one it just makes sense with the progression of the show
Jun 25, 5:13 PM

Oct 2008
Reply to Royalty459
I heard that the Light Novel is Yuri, so I'm assuming more happened that the anime didn't have time to fit in. So in that case, the anime isn't Yuri bait since the actual source material has the characters together
@Royalty459 This is an anime original, the novel and manga are adaptations of the anime, and not the opposite. They released 2 volumes of the LN so far, covering episodes 1 to 8, with the last volume covering the last 4 eps coming out next month, So far the LN have been as non confirmatory as the anime.
"There is no emotion, there is peace.
There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.
There is no passion, there is serenity.
There is no chaos, there is harmony.
There is no death, there is the Force."
The Jedi Code
Jun 26, 2:32 AM
Dec 2021
It’s incredibile how community see Yuri everytime there are two or more female main characters…ever heard about “friends” guys?
Jun 26, 2:36 AM
Apr 2018
It happens way too often with yuri anime especially.
Jun 26, 10:45 AM
May 2011
If you watched the show and thought the kiss in episode 5 was a "just friends" thing, then you probably equate handjobs to handshakes.
Fail_Man_XJun 26, 10:52 AM
Jun 27, 2:15 PM

Sep 2014
Reply to texasdes
GangsterCat said:

I did and they are not lesbians, sorry that you didn't have close freinds to actually experience love in platonic relationships
@Koyorides_ That's how you express love in a platonic way with your friends?

Do your friends know you're gay?
Jun 27, 8:12 PM
Apr 2024
KryzakamiHrybami said:

Girls kiss each other on the cheek and guys do it sometimes if they are extremely close
Brothers do it as well and I'm sorry you didn't receive such love from your childhood
Jun 28, 3:15 AM

Sep 2014
Reply to texasdes
KryzakamiHrybami said:

Girls kiss each other on the cheek and guys do it sometimes if they are extremely close
Brothers do it as well and I'm sorry you didn't receive such love from your childhood
@Koyorides_ Are you perhaps from France?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yoru no Kurage wa Oyogenai Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 11

132 by Assassin2112 »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » Yoru no Kurage wa Oyogenai Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 13

135 by BabyBlouie »»
Sep 9, 5:32 PM

Poll: » Yoru no Kurage wa Oyogenai Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 22

192 by ProofByColor »»
Sep 8, 3:41 PM

Poll: » Yoru no Kurage wa Oyogenai Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 15

112 by Ashhk »»
Aug 24, 12:05 AM

Poll: » Yoru no Kurage wa Oyogenai Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 8

134 by Ashhk »»
Aug 23, 11:35 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.