Apr 2020
Reply to APolygons2
@LSSJ_Gaming
LSSJ_Gaming said:
pretty much been coopted by right wing trolls to mean "anything I hate"

I would not say anything I hate.

"being aware of social issues"

This alone isn't bad.

It's bad when it is shoehorned into media.

Having a lgbt character? not a bad thing

having a lgbt character purely for "being aware of social issues", or changing a none lbtq character to become one for "being aware of social issues" is a bad thing.

My favourite voice actor is a gay man, and one of my all time favourite characters is bi. And on top of that, him being Bi is one of the reasons for why I love him. If he wasn't bi it would make his character worse!!!

and the fact that I'm saying that just goes to show being bi is not a thing that they added to him for the hell of it.

(I didn't say the character cause if you know who it is, it will ruin a twist for you, but I will say that he is from black sails.)
@APolygons2
I honestly agree heavily with this. It’s why I can’t enjoy new shows these days because “under-represented” characters are just filled in to fill a diversity quota or something so that people online can say they’re progressive, none of it is genuine or artistically inclined.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 28, 8:56 PM

Jan 2021
The "criticism" that Izumi from Shikimori's Not Just a Cutie faced. Granted, I had my own criticisms of both Izumi and the anime itself, but most of the criticisms I saw from others was focused on Izumi, particularly because he doesn't fit their idea of a guy in a relationship I guess. This is something you can see with characters similar to Izumi, where most people hate the character simply because he doesn't act like the "dominant" one in the relationship. There's a lot more to it and you'd have to go to the episode discussions and see for yourself because it's hard to properly put into my own words.

Along the same vein, I don't understand people who don't know what they want from a character. They get upset when they don't think with their dicks and start having sex with every girl in sight, but they also get upset when characters act exactly like that. You can see this best with Kazuya from KanoKari, but he's a special case I think.

Finally, I don't understand why the first criticism for romcom MCs is "self-insert." I'm not going to pretend that there's not romcom with main characters that are essentially meant to be a self-insert, but it seems ever MC is labeled a self-insert, even the good ones. An example would be Gojou from My Dress Up Darling. I've never seen this description for Gojou outside of twitter though, so maybe it's just contained there.

These are just a few that I'm confused with, but for some of the other ones I have I'm having a hard time wording my complaints in a way that doesn't make it seem like they rile me up.

Apr 29, 12:27 AM

May 2018
"Criticism You Don't Understand."

"Don't understand" or "don't like"?

Because I pretty much can get why people dislike certain things, without them telling much: not enough cheesy melodrama, the characterizations aren't as bloated as they are used to or lack of hype. This is because the big hits have conditioned them to like certain traits like the coitus interruptus of a flashback inside of a big battle or that that the MC should be impossibly obnoxious (because this is supposed the be relatable) ect.

So, no matter what the wording of a criticism is, it boils down to two thigs A) "Its wasn't in the format I was expecting." B) "This is not popular enough, thus there must me something wrong with it.".

PS
I forgot one of the most essential one: C) "This is way too popular than it deserves.".
Like who cares? If you are enjoyed in to a lesser degree, that's still joy, right? Why you should be bothered that it's a bit overrated? And if you dislike it simply say so!
alshuApr 29, 1:25 AM
Apr 29, 12:40 AM
Jan 2019
@APolygons2 In before this inevitably gets locked, I mostly agree with you with some things I'd like to add.

In the case of Scooby doo, I wasn't the biggest fan of Mystery Incorporated (2010), particularly their iteration of Velma. She was just too different from the ones I grew up with and that is my nostalgia talking. But I can understand why so many people love that version of her. She's a good example of a balanced mix between making a new character while staying loyal to the original in the right departments. Comparing that to the latest Velma-it just doesn't work. And contrary to the outrage clickbait yappers on youtube, it's not her race. Her and the rest of the gang feel like they grabbed random people off the street, made them do cosplay and instructed them to be as insufferable as they can. That's not how you do a new take on a preexisting series.

Although with the Little mermaid, I see why not make the character a different race. But why not expand on it then? Make the story your own while paying homage to the og. Make it seem like it's a version of the og from another universe or point of view and not a half assed painted over copypaste (making the story as close to the og but Ariel is black and that's it). Black or trans or whatever character don't have to and shouldn't be just in the background because the writers can't do them justice.

Just throwing something in with nothing behind the thought (in these cases lgbt+ or folks of colour) is almost as damaging as those gross and dehumanizing caricatures people post on reddit and think they're funny.
Apr 29, 12:46 AM

Dec 2022
Reply to alshu
"Criticism You Don't Understand."

"Don't understand" or "don't like"?

Because I pretty much can get why people dislike certain things, without them telling much: not enough cheesy melodrama, the characterizations aren't as bloated as they are used to or lack of hype. This is because the big hits have conditioned them to like certain traits like the coitus interruptus of a flashback inside of a big battle or that that the MC should be impossibly obnoxious (because this is supposed the be relatable) ect.

So, no matter what the wording of a criticism is, it boils down to two thigs A) "Its wasn't in the format I was expecting." B) "This is not popular enough, thus there must me something wrong with it.".

PS
I forgot one of the most essential one: C) "This is way too popular than it deserves.".
Like who cares? If you are enjoyed in to a lesser degree, that's still joy, right? Why you should be bothered that it's a bit overrated? And if you dislike it simply say so!
@alshu "Don't understand" in this context would mean "I don't understand how this would be considered negative" or "I don't understand how this argument even makes any sense". There's several ways for criticism to seem bad - either because what they're saying does not actually apply (they are claiming it has things that it doesn't, etc), or what they describe is clearly there, but it isn't a negative thing at all, thus you don't understand why they bring it out as a negative. There's also always the option that it's complete incomprehensible gibberish, which I guess is a flavor of the former.

One extremely silly criticism I've heard is when people say something isn't story-driven. They're not saying it doesn't have a story, they're saying the story does not drive the characters, but characters drive the story - and they somehow consider it a bad thing? For me, characters driving the story makes perfect sense - what people do depends on their personality, their motivations, their experience and what they perceive around them, so the next step they take should always be decided based on their character.

It is actually story-driven logic that makes less sense. If you put characters basically on rails of the story, making their actions follow some kind of grand scheme without there being any clear personal reasons why they do what they do, that is stupid. It makes it seem like the characters are just puppets, with no agency, with no thoughts of their own.
Apr 29, 1:08 AM

Jan 2023
I agree with a decent amount of what I read on this topic.
The ones I don't understand or disagree the most with in general are the 'bad animation' ones or the 'this entire genre is boring/sucks' ones.
Apr 29, 1:11 AM

May 2018
delirific said:
"I don't understand how this would be considered negative"

That's pretty easy to get - said person simply doesn't like X. For example if someone says "Cowboy Bebop has too much filler episodes.", apart from not knowing what filler is, they are obviously conditioned to dislike episodic storytelling.

delirific said:
"I don't understand how this argument even makes any sense"

Obviously it make sense in their head, just couldn't explain it properly.

delirific said:
but it isn't a negative thing

How about this no being negative only for you? Or maybe said person is complaining about the execution or something being too much of a cliché?

delirific said:
There's also always the option that it's complete incomprehensible gibberish, which I guess is a flavor of the former.

This is why one shouldn't pay too much attention to forum posts. Those should be boiled down to simply "I liked X." and "I disliked Y.".

delirific said:
It makes it seem like the characters are just puppets, with no agency, with no thoughts of their own.

Funnily enough, you can pull a good show with that too (said characters being puppets of higher influences like society, religion or whatever). Anything goes if the whole thing is some sort of working mechanism within or against the traditions and the trends.
Apr 29, 2:33 AM

Aug 2021
It is not rational nor Fair to judge BNHA based on the "Gay Shipping" fandom that I recently learned about despite being an avid an for all this years.
It's not logical to say "it's Shounen so it's for braindead kids" either,or even worse, attacking the user and spam calling him names just because of it .
It is an anime that exceeds the highest interdimensional peaks <3
Apr 29, 2:45 AM

Mar 2008
Reply to MeguSae38
I agree with a decent amount of what I read on this topic.
The ones I don't understand or disagree the most with in general are the 'bad animation' ones or the 'this entire genre is boring/sucks' ones.
@MeguSae38
Well there is some legitimately bad animation (off model, frame errors, continuity errors, too low of frame rate) but i do see it a lot when it looks normal as if some people dont know anything about animation.
Apr 29, 4:11 AM

Oct 2019
Reply to Nutella71
@APolygons2 In before this inevitably gets locked, I mostly agree with you with some things I'd like to add.

In the case of Scooby doo, I wasn't the biggest fan of Mystery Incorporated (2010), particularly their iteration of Velma. She was just too different from the ones I grew up with and that is my nostalgia talking. But I can understand why so many people love that version of her. She's a good example of a balanced mix between making a new character while staying loyal to the original in the right departments. Comparing that to the latest Velma-it just doesn't work. And contrary to the outrage clickbait yappers on youtube, it's not her race. Her and the rest of the gang feel like they grabbed random people off the street, made them do cosplay and instructed them to be as insufferable as they can. That's not how you do a new take on a preexisting series.

Although with the Little mermaid, I see why not make the character a different race. But why not expand on it then? Make the story your own while paying homage to the og. Make it seem like it's a version of the og from another universe or point of view and not a half assed painted over copypaste (making the story as close to the og but Ariel is black and that's it). Black or trans or whatever character don't have to and shouldn't be just in the background because the writers can't do them justice.

Just throwing something in with nothing behind the thought (in these cases lgbt+ or folks of colour) is almost as damaging as those gross and dehumanizing caricatures people post on reddit and think they're funny.
Nutella71 said:

I don't disagree with this, which is why I used isaac from castlevania as an example of doing this exact thing, but I still loved his character.

The issue with arial was that they literally did it for no reason, and they did it in a movie that it's sole reason for existing was nostalgia bait, which again. why would you change anything about a movie that exists to spark nostalgia?
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Apr 29, 4:51 AM

Feb 2021
Reply to LSSJ_Gaming
"This translation is slightly rephrased from the original Japanese, therefore it is complete trash and is innacurate, and translators should fucking die and be replaced by robots"- half the fandom rn
@LSSJ_Gaming Believe it or not shitty localization belongs to nowhere.
"Nobody could laugh at someone who's trying their hardest" -Machio-

Apr 29, 5:59 AM

Jan 2013
Reply to Acctra
The "criticism" that Izumi from Shikimori's Not Just a Cutie faced. Granted, I had my own criticisms of both Izumi and the anime itself, but most of the criticisms I saw from others was focused on Izumi, particularly because he doesn't fit their idea of a guy in a relationship I guess. This is something you can see with characters similar to Izumi, where most people hate the character simply because he doesn't act like the "dominant" one in the relationship. There's a lot more to it and you'd have to go to the episode discussions and see for yourself because it's hard to properly put into my own words.

Along the same vein, I don't understand people who don't know what they want from a character. They get upset when they don't think with their dicks and start having sex with every girl in sight, but they also get upset when characters act exactly like that. You can see this best with Kazuya from KanoKari, but he's a special case I think.

Finally, I don't understand why the first criticism for romcom MCs is "self-insert." I'm not going to pretend that there's not romcom with main characters that are essentially meant to be a self-insert, but it seems ever MC is labeled a self-insert, even the good ones. An example would be Gojou from My Dress Up Darling. I've never seen this description for Gojou outside of twitter though, so maybe it's just contained there.

These are just a few that I'm confused with, but for some of the other ones I have I'm having a hard time wording my complaints in a way that doesn't make it seem like they rile me up.
@Acctra Izumi was just infinitely worse in the anime, even I found myself hating on him, and I think he's adorable in the manga.
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Apr 29, 6:20 AM

Jan 2013
Reply to APolygons2
LSSJ_Gaming said:
"I HJATE ANYTHING MILDLY PROGRESSIVE"

Really? after all that I said this what you took from It?

So don't pretend like this is the case, you are just putting everyone in the category to make them seem unreasonable. If you actually listened, you would know that none of the things I said have anything to do with being "against" being progressive.

You are just as unreasonable as the people you hate if you really genuinely think, that was the point of my argument
@APolygons2 You have two completely incompatible viewpoints. They think representation should be prioritized because it can have meaningful change in society, and you think this viewpoint shouldn't trump writing actual good characters/stories in the media that's supposed to entertain us. Those types would find your concerns frivolous by comparison, and judge you for not championing diversity, instead aligning with bigots, even if it's to the detriment of said media. However, I will say that it's true certain groups will shout "woke" at any sort of "marginalized" representation, whether it's forced or not. That doesn't mean that woke ideology isn't very much a thing when it comes to media, though.
LostSpectreApr 29, 6:24 AM
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Apr 29, 7:47 AM

Oct 2019
Reply to LostSpectre
@APolygons2 You have two completely incompatible viewpoints. They think representation should be prioritized because it can have meaningful change in society, and you think this viewpoint shouldn't trump writing actual good characters/stories in the media that's supposed to entertain us. Those types would find your concerns frivolous by comparison, and judge you for not championing diversity, instead aligning with bigots, even if it's to the detriment of said media. However, I will say that it's true certain groups will shout "woke" at any sort of "marginalized" representation, whether it's forced or not. That doesn't mean that woke ideology isn't very much a thing when it comes to media, though.
LostSpectre said:
However, I will say that it's true certain groups will shout "woke" at any sort of "marginalized" representation, whether it's forced or not. That doesn't mean that woke ideology isn't very much a thing when it comes to media, though.

I know, from the very first comment I said I don't respect either extremes.

neither saying every single piece of media has to go out of it's way to represent everything and change itself to be "correct" by modern society standards.

nor saying any inclusion of lgbt, or race, or anything is automatically woke.

It's one thing to disagree with me on that, but after she ended it like that, that's no longer just a different opinion or view point. she is just being willingly ignorant for the sake of making anyone who disagrees with her "the enemy".

animegamer245 said:
WTF happened to this thread? The OP asked a simple question about unwarranted criticism & it spiraled into a battle about politics.

Is it? Imma be honest, I do not look at this as politics. To me this is 100% about stories. I have 0 clue what the political implications of anything that I said is. I barely understand what left wing and right wing are, and I looked that up like twice last year just to know wtf people are even talking about all the time.

I was arguing entirely on the basis of how these things affect the stories that we consume.
APolygons2Apr 29, 7:51 AM
Also available at:

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Apr 29, 7:56 AM

Oct 2019
Reply to Entity72
It is not rational nor Fair to judge BNHA based on the "Gay Shipping" fandom that I recently learned about despite being an avid an for all this years.
It's not logical to say "it's Shounen so it's for braindead kids" either,or even worse, attacking the user and spam calling him names just because of it .
It is an anime that exceeds the highest interdimensional peaks <3
@Entity72

Can I just say this, I never understood what the hell is the obsession with people disliking gay ships. If anything I think the fact that the female audience also opens up to being horny weebs is a good thing.

I don't get, like you don't have to like it. but since when is fanfictions, or ship arts, or hentai of 2 characters, something that you "have to like"?
Also available at:

Apr 29, 8:00 AM

Jul 2013
And people take anime seriously? In 2024? It is just entertainment lol.
Apr 29, 9:06 AM

Jul 2013
I don't take anime seriously. So any criticism against anime is not important imo.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

» What makes Anime different from Cartoons ?

tchitchouan - 5 hours ago

34 by Lucifrost »»
9 minutes ago

» Do you care about gambling anime?

Cammell - 35 minutes ago

5 by tappioca »»
10 minutes ago

» Do you see there being another Ecchi Anime as critically acclaimed as Mushoku Tensei in the future?

Dragevard - Yesterday

26 by Lucifrost »»
12 minutes ago

» Why are modern anime fights so awful?

_Nette_ - Yesterday

40 by Zettaiken »»
15 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you have ridiculously long ptw list?

Cammell - 3 hours ago

26 by Darion_Phoenix »»
15 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.