Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Apr 23, 1:09 AM

Jun 2020
Amazing episode. It was really sad and a bit disturbing to see Akira quickly go on a downward spiral. I liked seeing all of the interesting and beautiful environments that the crew encountered though.

It seemed like the map that the swan guy gave the girls was actually accurate? I didn't pay attention to see if the future stops (toy soldiers) matched the images but the previous ones did like the mushrooms and goats. EDIT: According to someone else it does match up.

Seems like Nadeshiko is learning how to aim a bow and arrow. She is the most boring girl to me so I'm really interested to see if she will defend everyone else eventually (most likely at that zombie stop that's coming up)
Apr 23, 1:15 AM

Apr 2014
Reply to Jettersfreak
Now that we've seen a few more stops, the meaning of each of the shapes on the map is starting to become a little more clear, or at least some patterns are starting to form.

At all the square stops, they were able to get off the train and actually speak with the inhabitants around that station (although some are more dangerous than others). All the circle stops were passed by without speaking to anyone who lived there, either because it was too dangerous to or because there isn't anyone to speak to.

Now we'll just have to wait until next week to see what the diamond shape means...

@Jettersfreak

Square - only people are affected, but the town remains the same
Circle - were passing by stops without anyone to speak to.
Diamond - both people and town are affected, as we can see from Inariyama-koen that its people have been transformed and the town itself also has been changed into that kind of miniature town.

another question is what's waiting for them in the empty circle stations.
何それ?意味分かんない
Apr 23, 2:18 AM

Aug 2022
The fungus that was growing on Akira's back was finally pulled out. But unfortunately that actually makes Akira lose her soul and make it difficult to control.

Then they needed a doctor to cure Akira. They passed station after station until they arrived at Inariyama station.

We are also shown one by one the world that is happening in their current timeline. It really is like more disaster.

Then the question is, is the doctor here?

RafaBryanApr 23, 4:46 AM
Apr 23, 4:13 AM

Jul 2017
Yoka and Shizuru's relationship is quite the fascination.

Since leaving Higashi-Agano, the girls are are once again on the way to Ikebukuro, though still a very long way to go. Akira being smelled on her butt from Pochi, and upon reaching Musashi-Yokote, seeing nothing but a plain land and goats striking at the train, it's surreal watching events like that happen. The idea of letting the girls take turns to drive, Shizuru can't be driving the train the entire way. But for Akira, the thought of mushrooms coming out from her butt is weird, if not anything else. From a place full of laughing turnips to space-like areas, and even an area where there's golf balls raining, the road ahead is filled with uncertainty.

Reimi finally catching on Akira hiding her butt, and it indeed is a mushroom, and more than exposing the raw and tumultuous relationship between both girls, Akira...isn't getting any better, and starts to act all crazy. The tip from Zenjiro is going to Inariyama Park for a cure, and passing through the various stations for help, nothing is materializing, even when they reach Inariyama-koen. A weird call ringing has both Reimi and Shizuru walking into the rather miniscule town where they're treated as Gullivers, shot down by toy soldiers.

How weird can this trip ever go?
Apr 23, 4:15 AM
Apr 2021
Omg this episode was just so fucked up with the screaming plants and the bipedal goats (which is fucking scary as shit btw), the organs just floating in the sky, the giant circular clear rings in the sky, like the 7G incident really fucked up the earth and my personal opinion is that the 7G Incident fucked up the entirety of the universe it didn’t just stop at earth it continued until the signal got weaker over the large distance of space time🤔

The animation is just eyecandy to me I love the art and the animation but the art is what I really like the best tho the character designs are so CGDCT-esque yk I love it

Poor Akira so what was on her ass was actually a mushroom I’ll miss her being the cautious one bc now she’s the aloof one who needs to be taken care of since the mushroom grew too much and affect her mind MY CUTESY GIRL NEEDS TO COME BACK TO NORMAL😫🥲😫

And it looks like Shizuru and Reimi are in serious trouble since now they’re tied to a fucking helicopter like nothing is going right for these poor girls and it looks like Hoshi is the only capable one left😭

Ok I knew Hoshi had a bigger chest than the other girls bc they’re drawn smaller than Hoshi herself but that swimming scene caught me off guard I ain’t know Hoshi WAS THAT STACKED she’s got the biggest TIDDIES out of all that girls😩😩😩😩

Cant get over the ending song especially near the ending of the song it’s so goddamn catchy asf🔥
Treyv0nApr 23, 4:19 AM
Apr 23, 5:33 AM
Jul 2021
Man, there’s something oddly terrifying about little soldiers dropping down from the sky and attacking you until you lose consciousness. Gives the mushroom town a run for its money.
Apr 23, 6:11 AM

Oct 2007
they passed some really weird stations.

to keep things interesting inside the train..... somebody has to do movie character level of stupidity, which Akira did by keeping her mushroom a secret.

time to find a cure or Akira would remain mentally challenged.
Apr 23, 6:17 AM

Sep 2023
I loved this episode. Everything about this anime is weird and bizarre, and it ensures that you never know what to expect. I find myself excited every time they stop, just wondering what crazy things the girls will encounter. The art is also very beautiful, and I've been enjoying the soundtrack. Can't believe that Akira didn't realize she had a mushroom growing out of her butt, though I guess she was probably in denial. I'm very intrigued to see what happens next!
Apr 23, 7:21 AM

Apr 2020
Reply to AkeZZZ
@Jettersfreak

Square - only people are affected, but the town remains the same
Circle - were passing by stops without anyone to speak to.
Diamond - both people and town are affected, as we can see from Inariyama-koen that its people have been transformed and the town itself also has been changed into that kind of miniature town.

another question is what's waiting for them in the empty circle stations.
@AkeZZZ

The correlation is spot on. I also want to add that the square border must mean the people can speak too. I don't know about diamond border, next week we'll get answer. And I also think the border is indicating survivability rate. Circle = high (theory broken by angry goats?), square = medium, diamond = low to impossible (need next episode to confirm). Because in Inariyama there's JASDF (Japanese Military Force HQ). So I think low chance for them to survive. And the hospital is on the other side of JASDF, so yeah most likely they will go there for Akira's treatment.

And the next station after Inariyama should Musashi-Fujisawa (I get it from Maps, CMIIW) which empty labeled, maybe no weird case like other stations. Based on station looks and maps, I don't see anything much.

I love the Gulliver's Travel reference as they said it.
Apr 23, 7:44 AM
Dec 2022
The animators were as high as Akira when making this episode, and I’m all here for it
Apr 23, 8:06 AM
Sep 2021
Akira has been infected by mushrooms, will her friends succeed in getting her back to normal.
Apr 23, 8:34 AM
Dec 2023
friend of mine screenshotted the map from ep 2, i should've done the same. never too late! so far it's 100% accurate which is really interesting to see

also despite the lighthearted tone and weirdness of the anime, this episode took a slightly psychological turn (so did the previous) and i'm loving it
Apr 23, 8:39 AM
Feb 2023
Reply to Rakabat
@AkeZZZ

The correlation is spot on. I also want to add that the square border must mean the people can speak too. I don't know about diamond border, next week we'll get answer. And I also think the border is indicating survivability rate. Circle = high (theory broken by angry goats?), square = medium, diamond = low to impossible (need next episode to confirm). Because in Inariyama there's JASDF (Japanese Military Force HQ). So I think low chance for them to survive. And the hospital is on the other side of JASDF, so yeah most likely they will go there for Akira's treatment.

And the next station after Inariyama should Musashi-Fujisawa (I get it from Maps, CMIIW) which empty labeled, maybe no weird case like other stations. Based on station looks and maps, I don't see anything much.

I love the Gulliver's Travel reference as they said it.
The survivability of half the circle stations so far would've been terrible if they got out (goats, golfball hail and flying organs in what looked like water). And the starting station (no danger), jizo station (no danger) and mushroom station (your brain will be taken over and you'll die early) are all squares. I don't see a pattern indicating survivability there.
Apr 23, 10:23 AM
Aug 2023
i found the previous episode to be pretty predictable, and for an anime whose main draw is its unpredictability, i had a bit of a concern for doomsday train moving forward if it was going to keep setting up somewhat predictable storylines. however, i think i can confidently say with this episode that i had nothing to worry about, this anime is still as absurd as ever LOL

my only nitpick with the episode is that i felt that the dialogue at the beginning scene of the episode felt a little rushed, but throughout the rest of the episode it was paced pretty well, so i think that fast dialogue at the beginning was just a one-off thing.

every single stop was just so absurd and hilarious that i can only assume the writers were as high as akira when they came up with them. and speaking of akira, she was super cute this episode. i think it's hard not to have her as my favorite of the bunch so far.

and i feel like this anime has nailed it with the surreal humor. the goat standing up to reveal its bipedal body, akira's mushroom running around with a blood-curdling scream right before it abruptly explodes, the sudden cut to shizuru casually conversing with a statue (even better that he's sassy), the onslaught of gunfire resulting in... an itch; these all had me laughing good. what's even more is that the girls are always less shocked or weirded out as someone might normally be, and even if you'd expect that from them since they've been living in this world for a few years, it still adds even more to the surreal humor.
Apr 23, 11:16 AM

Jul 2021
Reply to Narizor
Well, it turns out that what Akira had on his butt was not a tail but a fungus, which is worse, and it affected them quite a bit. Akira has become my favorite in these few episodes, so I hope they recover soon.

They have already advanced 22 stations and with respect to the map it turned out to be quite useful and I believe that in the squares there is still a way to communicate with their inhabitants without being hostile, in the circles it seems that their inhabitants were seriously affected that they became primitive and they do not reason why the little or no communication in all aspects and rhombuses at the moment seem to show a hostile development with new visits and these places should be taken seriously and with extreme caution.

Furthermore, it seems that the world is influenced by the dreams that Shizuru tells Youka.
@Narizor Love your forum pic.

Akira cemented her position as my favorite out of the 4 last episode, and she kept delivering this episode. She just keeps tripping whenever she's running anywhere, and her voice acting is hysterical. Her voice was toned down a bit when she entered "stoner" mode, but we still got several meme-worthy moments. Making Reimi eat dictionary pages sandwiched between rice crackers was some creative, weirdly-detailed trolling.
Apr 23, 12:15 PM

Apr 2012
This show has a weird way of simultaneously getting crazier with each episode and getting more plot-depth. Now the show is not only replete with allusions to psychedelic mushrooms and a parody of the mentality of the Japanese normies, but also resembles some kind of mixture of animated arthouse and The Twilight Zone. Although I will not deny, more and more things seem to be surrealism for the sake of surrealism without any special logic or punch line.
Apr 23, 3:35 PM

Aug 2016
One thing this episode makes me think of is the duck-boat guy isn't so simple, managed to surive a trip from Ikebukuro to Agano without having a train as protection...
Apr 23, 3:53 PM

Aug 2016

To add, this one scene of Nadeshiko shooting a bow was out of nowhere and has zero explaination. What meaning it might have?
Apr 23, 5:59 PM

Sep 2023
Some very weird stations in this episode with those crazy goats, laughing radishes, screaming people trees and flying organs! Akira butt shroom left her brain dead, hopefully they can find a good doctor at Inariyama station!
Apr 23, 9:03 PM

Mar 2008
The vibes in this feel even darker now. I could feel how afraid Akira was all this time before she got lobottomized

That forest with the tree people was pretty creepy.

What kind of place has that well organized of a military that so quickly they instantly head out to shoot down some giant regular sized schoolgirls lol
Apr 23, 9:22 PM
Aug 2019
Feel bad for Akira :( girl did everything she could to save them and now she lost her soul. She is my second fav (first being Shizuru) so i hope they recover her soon! I'm really liking this anime though, its so trippy at times and thats so good. Sort of Gakkou Gurashi vibes!!
Apr 24, 2:37 AM

Sep 2020
Reply to SilentNox

To add, this one scene of Nadeshiko shooting a bow was out of nowhere and has zero explaination. What meaning it might have?
@SilentNox
She's practicing archery for self-defense.
Nadeshiko has to be the secretly tough girl of the group.
Apr 24, 2:37 AM

Sep 2010
Reply to SilentNox

SilentNox said:
Probably looking to obtain some primitive weaponry. Might be able to hunt with it, but self-defense with a bow would be asking a bit much.

I have to give full credit to Akira for saving them from the mushrooms last episode... and full blame to her for keeping the growth on her butt secret, resulting in her succumbing to the mushrooms even worse than the others. This team is cooperating a bit better, but still has a long way to improve if they want to survive much longer.

Aside, I take it the opening song, "GA-TAN GO-TON", is onomatopoeia for a train running over joints in the track?

As for the circles, squares and diamonds on the map... those are symbols on ski fields marking easy, intermediate and advanced slopes (and double diamond denotes extremely difficult slopes), but maybe that's just a coincidence.
TakataApr 24, 2:42 AM
Apr 24, 10:42 AM

Apr 2021
Some people have noted that at least some of the transformations of the different stations have to do with local features around the real life stations. The Inariyama military base was mentioned above. I looked at Higashi-Hannō (golf ball place) on Google Maps and it's near a whole lot of golf courses, and Bushi (with the jizō statues) means "disciple of Buddha". Any speculations on forthcoming stations?
Apr 24, 11:00 AM
Sep 2016
Alright I'm dropping now. I liked episode 3. The mushroom people gave the dialogue a chance to slow down and breathe. Without that, the show gives me a headache. I wanted to stick around for the concepts, but this is more trouble than its worth. Such a shame. Terrible execution on a compelling concept.
Apr 24, 2:03 PM

Aug 2019
They really need to take a closer look at that map they got LOL It looks like there's some crazy stuff up ahead, and some big problems too, I'll just leave it at that. Anyone notice how Yoka (I think that's who it was?) said she wanted to fight an anteater and eat mushrooms, which you know, they did. Everyone in the first station turned into animals and she ate mushrooms in the first station. Maybe all of this weird stuff came from her head?
Apr 24, 6:36 PM
Feb 2021
It keeps you guessing and you haven't quite figured out all the rules yet.
Apr 24, 8:56 PM
Mar 2015
Tied up just like Gullive
Apr 25, 12:43 AM

Nov 2023
Love the atmosphere but i have to skip the mushroom harassment scene
Apr 25, 5:01 AM

Jan 2017
I feel like I'm always eagerly waiting for a new episode just to feel extremely weird and creepy. Not that I'm complaining though 😄
Apr 25, 6:01 AM
Oct 2019
Akira going crazy 😵

Shizuru and Reimi become Gulliver LMAO

Things just keep escalating.
Apr 25, 10:08 AM
Nov 2022
It became very insane all of a sudden, what I thought would be a simple comic relief turned out to be something super hardcore, plus the goat people, the radish people, the tree people and the stone statues are very bad vibes.

It was clear that there must be a place with little people, they left a clue at the beginning of the episode, could it be that Shizuru would also fight an anteater at some point? ._.

What a good anime, damn, I didn't expect anything and it's turning out very good, now I understand why Hideo Kojima recommended it xd
Apr 25, 6:14 PM
A sandwich

Jul 2020
I swear, this anime just keeps getting progressively weirder and each of the stops is creepier than the last. Goat people ramming into the train, laughing vegetables, livers floating in space and now a Gulliver station. Either the mangaka was very creative or... well it doesn't matter either way.

The point is that with Akira leaving the fungus too much time in her butt she went into the opposite direction of her cautious nature. I thought she was turning into an animal but I guess that was a regional effect probably. No idea how this is gonna turn out.
⠓⠥⠍⠁⠝⠊⠞⠽ ⠞⠓⠗⠕⠥⠛⠓ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠎⠞⠥⠏⠊⠙⠊⠞⠽⠂ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠺⠊⠇⠇ ⠎⠅⠊⠏ ⠺⠁⠎⠓⠊⠝⠛ ⠞⠓⠑⠊⠗ ⠓⠁⠝⠙⠎ ⠁⠝⠙ ⠑⠝⠙ ⠥⠏ ⠗⠥⠊⠝⠊⠝⠛ ⠊
⠞ ⠋⠕⠗ ⠑⠧⠑⠗⠽⠕⠝⠑
⠎⠓⠊⠊⠅⠕ ⠁⠕⠎⠕⠊⠂ ⠼⠃⠼⠚⠼⠁⠼⠓
Apr 26, 7:47 AM

Jun 2019
rasterman7 said:
Either the mangaka was very creative or... well it doesn't matter either way.

This is an original anime series so not based on the works of a mangaka. Although it's receiving a manga adaptation like many other original anime do, sometimes closely timed to coordinate with the anime's release.

Apparently this was in the works for years though.
Apr 26, 8:15 AM
A sandwich

Jul 2020
Reply to WatchTillTandava
rasterman7 said:
Either the mangaka was very creative or... well it doesn't matter either way.

This is an original anime series so not based on the works of a mangaka. Although it's receiving a manga adaptation like many other original anime do, sometimes closely timed to coordinate with the anime's release.

Apparently this was in the works for years though.
@WatchTillTandava Ok, scratch "mangaka" and replace it with "writer", my bad. It's still very odd and strange. Hopefully it doesn't downgrade in the way Wonder Egg Priority did.
⠓⠥⠍⠁⠝⠊⠞⠽ ⠞⠓⠗⠕⠥⠛⠓ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠎⠞⠥⠏⠊⠙⠊⠞⠽⠂ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠺⠊⠇⠇ ⠎⠅⠊⠏ ⠺⠁⠎⠓⠊⠝⠛ ⠞⠓⠑⠊⠗ ⠓⠁⠝⠙⠎ ⠁⠝⠙ ⠑⠝⠙ ⠥⠏ ⠗⠥⠊⠝⠊⠝⠛ ⠊
⠞ ⠋⠕⠗ ⠑⠧⠑⠗⠽⠕⠝⠑
⠎⠓⠊⠊⠅⠕ ⠁⠕⠎⠕⠊⠂ ⠼⠃⠼⠚⠼⠁⠼⠓
Apr 26, 10:36 AM

Jun 2016
i really enjoying this show !!
Apr 28, 12:37 AM

Nov 2011
so there were mushrooms after all... a liked the adolescence theory tho xD
Apr 28, 8:15 AM
Mar 2018
This episode went by super fast!

I really liked the small city and tiny army at the end. I can't wait to see how that turns out!

Also, I thought Akira was turning into an animal, I hadn't guessed she had mushrooms back there... Oo
Apr 28, 9:15 AM
Nov 2020
Reply to Ryushindai
this honestly just reminds me of FLCL, such a random plot throwing the most weird ideas at you. And for some reason I can't understand why people like it a lot
@Ryushindai Well it's not a random plot. The story is about the search for their friend Yoka and the journey into the unknown. What happened to the world after the 7G incident and what horrors the Agano volunteers suffered for them to be coming home crying and some didn't even return.

Seriously it's not that hard to understand.
Apr 28, 9:30 AM
Nov 2020
Reply to Alkimia
They really need to take a closer look at that map they got LOL It looks like there's some crazy stuff up ahead, and some big problems too, I'll just leave it at that. Anyone notice how Yoka (I think that's who it was?) said she wanted to fight an anteater and eat mushrooms, which you know, they did. Everyone in the first station turned into animals and she ate mushrooms in the first station. Maybe all of this weird stuff came from her head?
@Alkimia It was Shizuru who wanted to eat mushrooms and fight an aneater... The weirdness of the world might've been a product of Shizuru's imagination manifesting into reality after the 7G incident...

Remember what the leader of the 7G network said, it connects all minds, thoughts get broadcast in an instant and other things materialize due to 7G being connected to the brain..

So Shizuru's thoughts about the things she wanted to do like eating mushrooms manifested in one station and other things manifested in other. Yoka has memories of Shizuru and Shizuru's dreams were etched into her memories and that's what 7G processed and distributed into the citizens...

What happened to their world is real and the dreams of Shizuru are being made a reality because of 7G. But of course not everyone likes the idea of turning into different things they never wished to be
Apr 28, 9:32 AM
Nov 2020
Reply to TrevRockOne
Alright I'm dropping now. I liked episode 3. The mushroom people gave the dialogue a chance to slow down and breathe. Without that, the show gives me a headache. I wanted to stick around for the concepts, but this is more trouble than its worth. Such a shame. Terrible execution on a compelling concept.
@TrevRockOne Dialogues aren't even that fast lol u're tripping. Try Saiki Kusuo Psi-nan it had a lot faster dialogues than this that it makes the dialogue speed here look cute compared to that.
Apr 28, 10:05 AM

Jan 2016
Reply to Shirowhite01
@Ryushindai Well it's not a random plot. The story is about the search for their friend Yoka and the journey into the unknown. What happened to the world after the 7G incident and what horrors the Agano volunteers suffered for them to be coming home crying and some didn't even return.

Seriously it's not that hard to understand.
@Shirowhite01 this person being a white knight for his favorite anime reads 3 words in the whole post and start spouting nonsense lol
what you said has nothing to do with whatever I wrote
Apr 29, 1:38 AM

Nov 2023
Hmm very weird episode tbh.

Akira is now became childish or something.

And the world building of this show is very good regardless of the plot.
But it's so good, I've never known anybody like you
But it's so good, I've never dreamed of nobody like you
And I've heard of a love that comes once in a lifetime
And I'm pretty sure that you are that love of mine
Apr 29, 10:12 PM
Nov 2020
Reply to Ryushindai
@Shirowhite01 this person being a white knight for his favorite anime reads 3 words in the whole post and start spouting nonsense lol
what you said has nothing to do with whatever I wrote
@Ryushindai 'this honestly just reminds me of FLCL, such a random plot throwing the most weird ideas at you. And for some reason I can't understand why people like it a lot"

This was what u said, that's what i replied to. U were talking about this anime Shuumatsu Train Doko e iku right? And saying it has a random plot and u're bothered by why others like this anime.

So clearly what i wrote has something to do with what u said... If this anime's plot isn't what u're talking about then what is? I'm no mind-reader so no way i can guess something u won't clear up.
Apr 30, 6:33 PM

Aug 2020
This is the craziest show of this season by miles. I like the design and the weird dialogues, they make the show funnier. Really unpredictable.

Apr 30, 10:01 PM
Dec 2022
i laughing and jumping the whole time lmao

definitely one of my favorite shows this season 😂
May 1, 5:47 AM
Oct 2014
Man I love this anime. It really was a mushroom that was growing out of Akira's butt. Why not just ask the others for help sooner? For the smart character she sure is dumb. Comedy gold though with the goats and the Bobobo ojiisan and the senbei and such. About gōya I would eat it a lot when I was in Ehime and I could get one for like 80 yen but now I live in Aichi and it's usually like 200 yen for one of them so I never eat them any more like what the heck
May 2, 12:00 AM
Sep 2020
Top tier bullshit
May 2, 1:00 AM

Feb 2020
Top tier greatness.
May 2, 5:56 PM

Dec 2021
I feel bad for Akira. I wonder if the mushroom has been affecting her brain since it took root. Keeping it a secret from her friends might only make things worse. Removing the mushroom seems risky too, especially since it's been rooted in her for so long.

And now that we've seen mushrooms and little people, Shizuru is definitely going to fight an anteater at some point, right?

Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shuumatsu Train Doko e Iku? Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 29

67 by JoexySun »»
58 minutes ago

» The show has a unique premise, my one grip.....

mydaddy - Yesterday

4 by Serafos »»
8 hours ago

» Theories?

the_great_prince - Apr 29

13 by KitsuFrost »»
Yesterday, 3:48 PM

Poll: » Shuumatsu Train Doko e Iku? Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 15

116 by The_Doke »»
Yesterday, 11:52 AM

Poll: » Shuumatsu Train Doko e Iku? Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 8

112 by The_Doke »»
Yesterday, 11:28 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.