3It was OK
6.4%
2Disliked it
2.3%
1Hated it
4.1%
Average 4.5
514 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 17, 9:29 PM

Jun 2020
YUJI IS CONFIRMED TO BE SUKUNA’S TWIN NEPHEW AND ALSO THE GOAT OF THE STORY!!!
DumbApr 17, 11:43 PM
Apr 17, 9:53 PM

Jun 2014
Holy fuck what an adrenaline rush of a chapter. Yuji is the reincarnation of Sukuna's twin? (EDIT: Leaker made a mistake, the reincarnation of Sukuna's twin was Yuji's dad, NOT Yuji himself) He can use Sukuna's "Shrine" CT? And he hit 7, yes, SEVEN consecutive Black Flashes?!?!?! My god, it's so far off but this is going to go so hard and crazy animated.

"YuJi nOt mC sUkUnA iS" "YuJi fRaUd mC dUrR hUrR" Oh? Y'all were saying? Yea, enough of that yapping 🥱🥱🥱

And also, to the usual suspects who I just know are foaming at the mouth, just waiting to complain that Yuji being able to use Sukuna's CT is an "aSsPuLL," it literally isn't. This was foreshadowed by Gojo all the way back in chapter TWELVE when he said about Yuji, "In due time, your body will learn Sukuna's Cursed Technique." Yuji was Sukuna's vessel for how long? Plus, he's the son of Sukuna's twin so yea, Sukuna's twin possibly having an identical CT that he then passed down checks out. All the puzzle pieces of foreshadowing were there so from a writing perspective it makes perfect sense and everything falls into place.

FOR ANYONE WHO ONLY READS THE OFFICIAL VIZ TRANSLATION:
Ah yes, another edition of Werry Kaisen. Dude just can NOT translate to save his life. First, the panel in the start of the chapter where Sukuna is yawning while talking to Uraume, in the officials he says "The cursed objects that are Sukuna's fingers (no clue why he's talking in 3rd person lol) were sealed in Yuji Itadori even though he was born as a player in the Culling Game." No idea why Werry is implying that Yuji was "born AS a player," that just doesn't make sense. Looking at the TCB translation, the line reads as "You know this already, but Yuji Itadori was not only being bred to be a player in the Culling Games, but also to seal my fingers." This makes more sense, that Yuji was molded over time to participate in the CG, not that he was born as a participant 15 years before the CG even became a thing. That mistake is just weird wording, the other big mistake that could lead to misinformation is when the narrator says Yuji has 2 CTs, Blood Manipulation and MALEVOLENT Shrine. No, Yuji is NOT using MS. That's Sukuna's DE, NOT his CT. The translation on TCB simply has it named as "Shrine." That's presumably the name of Sukuna's CT and that's what we're seeing Yuji use in this chapter. Not Malevolent Shrine, just plain old Shrine. And it turns out Gege told us this in plain sight back in chapter 217 when Sukuna was talking to Yorozu. Check it out right here on TCB. You don't even need to read the whole thing, skip to the part where Sukuna uses Megumi's Divine Dogs. Yorozu asks if that's the vessel's CT, then follows up by asking "What about your SHRINE?" Notice she doesn't say Malevolent Shrine, just Shrine. I hate that the Viz translation is so misleading because now people will be under the impression that Yuji has the ability to use MS.
thebrentinator24Apr 21, 9:24 AM
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Apr 17, 11:10 PM

Jun 2020
Reply to thebrentinator24
Holy fuck what an adrenaline rush of a chapter. Yuji is the reincarnation of Sukuna's twin? (EDIT: Leaker made a mistake, the reincarnation of Sukuna's twin was Yuji's dad, NOT Yuji himself) He can use Sukuna's "Shrine" CT? And he hit 7, yes, SEVEN consecutive Black Flashes?!?!?! My god, it's so far off but this is going to go so hard and crazy animated.

"YuJi nOt mC sUkUnA iS" "YuJi fRaUd mC dUrR hUrR" Oh? Y'all were saying? Yea, enough of that yapping 🥱🥱🥱

And also, to the usual suspects who I just know are foaming at the mouth, just waiting to complain that Yuji being able to use Sukuna's CT is an "aSsPuLL," it literally isn't. This was foreshadowed by Gojo all the way back in chapter TWELVE when he said about Yuji, "In due time, your body will learn Sukuna's Cursed Technique." Yuji was Sukuna's vessel for how long? Plus, he's the son of Sukuna's twin so yea, Sukuna's twin possibly having an identical CT that he then passed down checks out. All the puzzle pieces of foreshadowing were there so from a writing perspective it makes perfect sense and everything falls into place.

Ah yes, another edition of Werry Kaisen. Dude just can NOT translate to save his life. First, the panel in the start of the chapter where Sukuna is yawning while talking to Uraume, in the officials he says "The cursed objects that are Sukuna's fingers (no clue why he's talking in 3rd person lol) were sealed in Yuji Itadori even though he was born as a player in the Culling Game." No idea why Werry is implying that Yuji was "born AS a player," that just doesn't make sense. Looking at the TCB translation, the line reads as "You know this already, but Yuji Itadori was not only being bred to be a player in the Culling Games, but also to seal my fingers." This makes more sense, that Yuji was molded over time to participate in the CG, not that he was born as a participant 15 years before the CG even became a thing. That mistake is just weird wording, the other big mistake that could lead to misinformation is when the narrator says Yuji has 2 CTs, Blood Manipulation and MALEVOLENT Shrine. No, Yuji is NOT using MS. That's Sukuna's DE, NOT his CT. The translation on TCB simply has it named as "Shrine." That's presumably the name of Sukuna's CT and that's what we're seeing Yuji use in this chapter. Not Malevolent Shrine, just plain old Shrine. And it turns out Gege told us this in plain sight back in chapter 217 when Sukuna was talking to Yorozu. Check it out right here on TCB. You don't even need to read the whole thing, skip to the part where Sukuna uses Megumi's Divine Dogs. Yorozu asks if that's the vessel's CT, then follows up by asking "What about your SHRINE?" Notice she doesn't say Malevolent Shrine, just Shrine. I hate that the Viz translation is so misleading because now people will be under the impression that Yuji has the ability to use MS.
thebrentinator24 said:
EDIT: Leaker made a mistake, the reincarnation of Sukuna's twin was Yuji's dad, NOT Yuji himself

I actually feel kind of disappointed now… so reincarnation is just a normal thing that happens in JJK for humans and Yuji and Sukuna aren’t as related as we all thought. Maybe John Werry will also mistranslate it and make it canon

Apr 17, 11:11 PM
Jun 2023
thebrentinator24 said:

As far fighting techniques and choreography goes I have almost no criticism and enjoy it very much , only thing missing are character interactions,cathartic or emotional moments.
This chapter based on the leaks was awesome and i'm quite sure we will get some lore reveals about the heian era ,now that the merger is close.
Apr 18, 12:06 AM

Jan 2009
so yuji has the soul of the dead twin brother of sukuna thats why he is a genius also

and yuji has 2 cursed techniques? so multiple curse technique is possible then that may explain yuta with rika and copy curse technique

yuji should have trained more to use the slashes of sukuna though

if sukuna has malevolent shrine then yuji should have benevolent shrine
Apr 18, 1:38 AM

Jun 2019
Is this what Peak feels like. Chills.... goosebumps. Idk what the hell I was feeling but it was something else. Yuji Itadori, you are meant to be him.
Apr 18, 2:08 AM
Feb 2021
simply peak, amazing chapter
Apr 18, 2:42 AM
May 2021
Can’t believe what is happening right now!! Gege wtff!! 😤🔥surpass the king Yuji lets go!!!!!
jas-samaaaApr 20, 1:42 AM
Apr 18, 2:51 AM

Jun 2020
I guess Wuji's Domain Expansion will be Benevolent Shrine lmao
Apr 18, 3:16 AM

Jan 2009
some says the other curse technique of yuji is cut and paste? look at the scissors symbols in here

Apr 18, 3:36 AM
Jun 2020
one thing that is still a mystery is what sukuna gained from 4 blackflashes aside from increased slash output
Apr 18, 3:43 AM
Mar 2022
Reply to deg
so yuji has the soul of the dead twin brother of sukuna thats why he is a genius also

and yuji has 2 cursed techniques? so multiple curse technique is possible then that may explain yuta with rika and copy curse technique

yuji should have trained more to use the slashes of sukuna though

if sukuna has malevolent shrine then yuji should have benevolent shrine
@deg it is confirmed by kenjaku that a sorcerer can have max. 4 CT but not more.
Apr 18, 4:24 AM

Jan 2009
Reply to caanb
@deg it is confirmed by kenjaku that a sorcerer can have max. 4 CT but not more.
@caanb can you link what chapter is that confirmed? i do not remember that
Apr 18, 4:26 AM
Aug 2023
Kino. After so much Sukuna glazing peak is back on the menu.
Apr 18, 8:45 AM

Jun 2014
Reply to Dumb
thebrentinator24 said:
EDIT: Leaker made a mistake, the reincarnation of Sukuna's twin was Yuji's dad, NOT Yuji himself

I actually feel kind of disappointed now… so reincarnation is just a normal thing that happens in JJK for humans and Yuji and Sukuna aren’t as related as we all thought. Maybe John Werry will also mistranslate it and make it canon

@Dumb I wouldn’t necessarily say reincarnation is a “normal” thing, obviously we need to wait and see what the actual chapter text says but the leaks implied that Kenjaku played a role in this reincarnation that ultimately led to Yuji’s creation. So I imagine it’s only possible through some form of interference.

Apr 18, 10:25 AM
Aug 2020
Dayum so Yuji is Sukunas twin somehow, crazy shi. That blackflash barrage was awesome, this will be amazing animated. Next week starts with Yuji at the airport saying how amazing Sukuna is lol nah actually it seems Sukuna really is on the ropes here, he'll probably do another 180 before getting wrecked, I'm betting on Yuji opening his domain at clutch time.

Its just so peak ;_______; I never doubted you Gege(I totally did mwah haha)
Apr 18, 10:29 AM

Mar 2021
What's the deal with all this hype, like Yuji hasn't been doing the same thing the whole manga… punching hard

He even chained a good number of Black Flashes back vs Hanami

Insane gege glazing just cause he put a twist in this chapter lol

Apr 18, 11:22 AM
Nov 2018
miracle power-up asspull
Apr 18, 12:42 PM

Jun 2020
@Dumb I wouldn’t necessarily say reincarnation is a “normal” thing, obviously we need to wait and see what the actual chapter text says but the leaks implied that Kenjaku played a role in this reincarnation that ultimately led to Yuji’s creation. So I imagine it’s only possible through some form of interference.
@thebrentinator24 You’re right. And if it was some sort of reincarnation where he was aware of it now I’m wondering if Yuji’s dad knew that Kenjaku was inside his wifey and that’s why he never left her
Apr 18, 12:44 PM

Jun 2020
Reply to deg
@caanb can you link what chapter is that confirmed? i do not remember that
@deg It was in Yuki vs Kenny check possibly ch 205 i will edit my reply when i get home with the correct one tho
Apr 18, 12:49 PM

Jun 2020
Reply to Tenshi_Budo
Dayum so Yuji is Sukunas twin somehow, crazy shi. That blackflash barrage was awesome, this will be amazing animated. Next week starts with Yuji at the airport saying how amazing Sukuna is lol nah actually it seems Sukuna really is on the ropes here, he'll probably do another 180 before getting wrecked, I'm betting on Yuji opening his domain at clutch time.

Its just so peak ;_______; I never doubted you Gege(I totally did mwah haha)
@Tenshi_Budo Yeah I bet Sukuna’s 180 is him revealing what his flames are and using them. I still don’t believe the fight is at its finale until Uruame and Hakari stop fucking around and we get their conclusion first
Apr 18, 12:52 PM
Jul 2022
MORAL OF THE STORY: IF YOUR GRANDPA IS A GOOD PERSON, YOU CAN STILL BE A HERO NO MATTER YOUR FAMILY BACKGROUND.

#GRANDPA_POWER

Apr 18, 12:54 PM

Jun 2014
Reply to xdmon
miracle power-up asspull
@xdmon Found the guy reading with his eyes closed.

Apr 18, 3:27 PM

Jan 2009
Reply to Dumb
@deg It was in Yuki vs Kenny check possibly ch 205 i will edit my reply when i get home with the correct one tho
@Dumb ye i just read it earlier you got it right thanks
Apr 18, 3:28 PM

Jan 2009
Reply to lsomnia
MORAL OF THE STORY: IF YOUR GRANDPA IS A GOOD PERSON, YOU CAN STILL BE A HERO NO MATTER YOUR FAMILY BACKGROUND.

#GRANDPA_POWER

@lsomnia nature vs nurture

nurture wins
Apr 19, 3:31 AM

Jul 2010
When you learn a single combo in the fighting game and start spamming it non-stop in hopes it helps you win the round
Apr 19, 7:15 AM
Jul 2022
deg said:
@lsomnia nature vs nurture

nurture wins

💪🗿 THATS RIGHT
Apr 19, 9:47 AM

Jun 2015
Best chapter in like what, 100?
Apr 19, 10:34 AM
Apr 2019
Yuiji stock please stay up, I need Sukuna Kaisen to end
hi, how are you?
Apr 19, 5:45 PM
Sep 2022
Amazing hype, Itador is finally recivening the focus that he needs.
Apr 20, 4:03 AM
May 2022
As it customary side characters show up only to get styled on by sukuna, poor ino.
Apr 20, 4:08 AM
May 2022
Reply to Ponkos
one thing that is still a mystery is what sukuna gained from 4 blackflashes aside from increased slash output
@Ponkos am sure, the king of conveniences will use them later for some secret technique that needs 4 black flashes.
Apr 20, 4:35 AM
Jan 2021
unckuna and the 7 black flashes
Apr 20, 6:56 AM
Oct 2021
But I don't like it though. There is no way to beat the super villain. So you make the hero villains twin
There has been no indications previously.Nothing at all.. Then suddenly hero just powers up..
At least give him. time skip to powerup.. But this is way too much. Just introduce some random thing at the very last.
🥲sad
Apr 20, 8:16 AM
Jun 2023
Reply to albus_cs
But I don't like it though. There is no way to beat the super villain. So you make the hero villains twin
There has been no indications previously.Nothing at all.. Then suddenly hero just powers up..
At least give him. time skip to powerup.. But this is way too much. Just introduce some random thing at the very last.
🥲sad
@albus_cs Yujis dad was the twin* So you thought Kenjaku just had a kid with Yuji's dad for no reason? The similarities between Sukuna and Yuji were for no reason? Yuji being someone who can be a vessel for Sukuna was for no reason? As for "just powering up" we have seen 3 awakenings that I can remember from the story; Gojo, Maki, and Mahito with Mahito getting his awakening from black flash just like Yuji did, even getting it with only 2 or 3 black flashes meanwhile Yuji had hit like 6-8 or something before his awakening. They did have a 1 month timeskip where Yuji got RCT and can somewhat control blood manipulation as well as Gojo said early on in the story that Yuji would eventually get Sukuna's cursed technique. If you are going to hate on a story at least have ONE good reason among the shit you just spewed.
RicdumbApr 20, 8:19 AM
Apr 20, 9:19 AM
Aug 2019

@thebrentinator24 8 if u count the one from the previous chapter.
Apr 20, 9:45 AM
Oct 2020
Finally gege is cooking. Yuji landing 7 black flashes in one chapter. Also give some props to Ino. This fight is way way out of his league and he's still managing to contribute more than Bumgumi or the waffled one. The shiestiest sorcerer has been fighting longer than most.
Apr 20, 9:47 AM
Aug 2021
🗣️🗣️LET YUJI COOK
Apr 20, 10:29 AM

Jul 2012
Gege, what the actual fuck was this twist...

Are you seriously going to pull a 4th Ninja War in this story out of nowhere and start with the "protagonist is the descendant soul with potential of a *insert major being in the plot* that happened to be related to the main villain, which is a *insert major being in the plot*".

This is going Naruto all over again, some crazy reveal late game out of nowhere like this LOL
Apr 20, 11:09 AM

Jun 2021
Gege really like to mention his potential character that can rival gojo or Sukuna and it's Itadori's this time he is MC afterall. He have to do some MC kind of thing to hype up people. So, he is related to Sukuna now. Tite Kubo influence?

My doctor has always told me to smoke. He even explains himself: “Smoke, my friend. Otherwise someone else will smoke in your place.”

Apr 20, 11:12 AM

Jun 2014
Poplicort said:
8 if u count the one from the previous chapter.

True but I was mainly focusing on this chapter lol.

Ricdumb said:
Yujis dad was the twin* So you thought Kenjaku just had a kid with Yuji's dad for no reason? The similarities between Sukuna and Yuji were for no reason? Yuji being someone who can be a vessel for Sukuna was for no reason? As for "just powering up" we have seen 3 awakenings that I can remember from the story; Gojo, Maki, and Mahito with Mahito getting his awakening from black flash just like Yuji did, even getting it with only 2 or 3 black flashes meanwhile Yuji had hit like 6-8 or something before his awakening. They did have a 1 month timeskip where Yuji got RCT and can somewhat control blood manipulation as well as Gojo said early on in the story that Yuji would eventually get Sukuna's cursed technique. If you are going to hate on a story at least have ONE good reason among the shit you just spewed.

At this point it's like talking to a brick wall. The people who have already committed themselves to hating the rest of the series will complain no matter what, they'll find literally anything even if it's the smallest nitpick, and nothing you can say will change their minds. Even if it's something that has been hinted at or foreshadowed for a long time now. The only upside is that those who have been reading but not really reading just expose themselves, e.g., the person above saying "this has gone full Naruto."

Apr 20, 11:28 AM

Jul 2012
Poplicort said:

Ricdumb said:
Yujis dad was the twin* So you thought Kenjaku just had a kid with Yuji's dad for no reason? The similarities between Sukuna and Yuji were for no reason? Yuji being someone who can be a vessel for Sukuna was for no reason? As for "just powering up" we have seen 3 awakenings that I can remember from the story; Gojo, Maki, and Mahito with Mahito getting his awakening from black flash just like Yuji did, even getting it with only 2 or 3 black flashes meanwhile Yuji had hit like 6-8 or something before his awakening. They did have a 1 month timeskip where Yuji got RCT and can somewhat control blood manipulation as well as Gojo said early on in the story that Yuji would eventually get Sukuna's cursed technique. If you are going to hate on a story at least have ONE good reason among the shit you just spewed.

At this point it's like talking to a brick wall. The people who have already committed themselves to hating the rest of the series will complain no matter what, they'll find literally anything even if it's the smallest nitpick, and nothing you can say will change their minds. Even if it's something that has been hinted at or foreshadowed for a long time now. The only upside is that those who have been reading but not really reading just expose themselves, e.g., the person above saying "this has gone full Naruto."
@thebrentinator24

Oh really?
I'd love to be proven wrong, so please by all means. Do enlight me with this aforementioned foreshadowing towards this particular reveal.

I reread this series 3 times at this point, I don't think I've ever seen a single mention of anything of the sort. The single thing even hinted at (and after the fact that we learned about Yuji being a breeding experiment from Kenjaku) was Sukuna calling him a sick bastard (and that could just refer to him being a sick bastard in the way we already knew he was).
Apr 20, 11:30 AM
Jun 2023
Poplicort said:

Ricdumb said:

@thebrentinator24 and you replying to my replies isn't going to change if I decide to make an argument or not? Not beefing with you but I think this is the second chapter in a row you did this, If I want to lay out some facts and leave then ima do it.
Apr 20, 12:03 PM

Jun 2014
Reply to Danpmss
@thebrentinator24

Oh really?
I'd love to be proven wrong, so please by all means. Do enlight me with this aforementioned foreshadowing towards this particular reveal.

I reread this series 3 times at this point, I don't think I've ever seen a single mention of anything of the sort. The single thing even hinted at (and after the fact that we learned about Yuji being a breeding experiment from Kenjaku) was Sukuna calling him a sick bastard (and that could just refer to him being a sick bastard in the way we already knew he was).
@Danpmss The guy I quoted brought up some of the points that one can argue were hints at a deeper relationship between Yuji and Sukuna. Like why would Kenjaku choose Yuji's dad of all people to have a kid with. Even if that was just coincidental, Yuji looks oddly similar to Sukuna's true form. That can't just be for no reason. And why would Kenny use his own son as Sukuna's vessel, to collect his fingers? Why not literally anyone else? Yuji's accelerated growth rate throughout the series shows he's not just an average kid, and Uraume in this chapter suggesting he could have potential on par with Sukuna makes that make more sense in hindsight. If he's related to Sukuna somehow, then no wonder he's been able to pull off crazy shit despite only being a sorcerer for like, 6 months. And even without all of this in-story context, just look at who Sukuna is based off of: a figure from Japanese mythology also named Ryomen-Sukuna who had 4 arms and 2 faces, but besides that, was thought to be a symbol of twins/brothers. So even just based on that alone, it makes sense that at some point in the story it would turn out that Sukuna had previously had a sibling.

@Ricdumb Idk if there was a misunderstanding but I'm not criticizing you for replying to people to refute the points they're trying to make. I'm only suggesting that doing so is, as I said, "like talking to a brick wall" cause you could be Gege himself explaining these things and they'll most likely still not change their minds about whatever opinion they had. By all means, I encourage you to continue laying out facts if you feel it's necessary, I'm on your side lol.
thebrentinator24Apr 20, 12:07 PM

Apr 20, 12:08 PM
Oct 2023
I loved this chapter so much and I am so happy to see my second fav JJK character pop off.
Apr 20, 1:05 PM
Feb 2020
Yuji is the MC
Sorry about that.
Apr 20, 2:59 PM

Jul 2012
@Danpmss The guy I quoted brought up some of the points that one can argue were hints at a deeper relationship between Yuji and Sukuna. Like why would Kenjaku choose Yuji's dad of all people to have a kid with. Even if that was just coincidental, Yuji looks oddly similar to Sukuna's true form. That can't just be for no reason. And why would Kenny use his own son as Sukuna's vessel, to collect his fingers? Why not literally anyone else? Yuji's accelerated growth rate throughout the series shows he's not just an average kid, and Uraume in this chapter suggesting he could have potential on par with Sukuna makes that make more sense in hindsight. If he's related to Sukuna somehow, then no wonder he's been able to pull off crazy shit despite only being a sorcerer for like, 6 months. And even without all of this in-story context, just look at who Sukuna is based off of: a figure from Japanese mythology also named Ryomen-Sukuna who had 4 arms and 2 faces, but besides that, was thought to be a symbol of twins/brothers. So even just based on that alone, it makes sense that at some point in the story it would turn out that Sukuna had previously had a sibling.

@Ricdumb Idk if there was a misunderstanding but I'm not criticizing you for replying to people to refute the points they're trying to make. I'm only suggesting that doing so is, as I said, "like talking to a brick wall" cause you could be Gege himself explaining these things and they'll most likely still not change their minds about whatever opinion they had. By all means, I encourage you to continue laying out facts if you feel it's necessary, I'm on your side lol.
@thebrentinator24
I'm sorry to say, but that basically sound like a bunch of stretches. I don't really think these count as concrete foreshadowing in any way. But allow me to dwelve into it for a second:

thebrentinator24 said:
Like why would Kenjaku choose Yuji's dad of all people to have a kid with.

thebrentinator24 said:
And why would Kenny use his own son as Sukuna's vessel, to collect his fingers? Why not literally anyone else?

thebrentinator24 said:
Yuji's accelerated growth rate throughout the series shows he's not just an average kid, and Uraume in this chapter suggesting he could have potential on par with Sukuna makes that make more sense in hindsight.

Yeah, I don't think any of those clearly can make anyone go "Oh, that's because Kenjaku breed with someone with the soul of the never-before mentioned twin brother of Sukuna!". Not to mention, what hindsight exactly, when Uraume only QUESTIONS it ("is that really the case?") so after the very reveal that just happened. Uraume mocked Yuji and treated him as a corpse being served as a vessel for Sukuna in every scene they shared any info on one another (in person or not).

thebrentinator24 said:
And even without all of this in-story context, just look at who Sukuna is based off of: a figure from Japanese mythology also named Ryomen-Sukuna who had 4 arms and 2 faces, but besides that, was thought to be a symbol of twins/brothers. So even just based on that alone, it makes sense that at some point in the story it would turn out that Sukuna had previously had a sibling.

And by the way, this twin he killed before birth has no part in being anything like the actual legend from which Sukuna's character was based on.
For starters, "was thought to be a symbol of twins/brothers" is a misconception (more below). For what he truly represents, according to the Gifu Prefectural History reference book, Ryōmen-sukuna was actually thought to be an epithet that expressed contempt towards the forces that weren't submissive to kingship (which is more in line with his character reaching for the top).

The twin thing you likely have been told probably refers to a certain speculative observation made by Hisao Hoga (a big shot researcher in Geneanology and Ancient Japanese History) when he was thinking of possible relations with the legend of Ryōmen-sukuna, the Hida Craftsmen and Mount Kurai (with him entertaining the possibility of him being a descendant of either Hida-no-Kuni-no-Miyatsuko or even Sukunahikona-no-Mikoto, both with their own share of impossibilities when it comes to his overall genealogical conclusion based on observations that are also admittedly dubious by fellow historians).

For the twin association, one association comes from his assertion in regards to Kurai's north and south sides that represents the two faces of the lord/master of the mountain, which also possessed 4 arms, based on the writings of a Muromachi era governor of the Hida Province (to which he attribute to his remarks about Sukuna's relation to a bestowed lordship to the very first emperor of Japan). The other is his actual metaphorical association to Sukunahikona-no-Mikoto, to which he solely attributes association according to legend, as in how Sukunahikona and Ōkuninushi were considered to be two hearts coming together to build a nation (which not only has zero to do with Ryōmen-sukuna having a twin, it's more meant to represent what their relation can be seen as influence in the legend of the two-faced demon).

His whole discourse about Ryōmen-sukuna having two sides as in two people that rule as one is something completely different altogether and not even in reference to his figure on itself, and moreso on what legends may have had influenced in its origin (which ultimately goes for what he represented as I said above).

If he's related to Sukuna somehow, then no wonder he's been able to pull off crazy shit despite only being a sorcerer for like, 6 months.

He is an experiment, that doesn't really track anything in relation of being in any way related to Sukuna, nor Sukuna himself ever mentioned or hinted on that being the case.

And Yuji being special in some way is something his Grandpa hinted at the very start of the story, he is the protagonist, has a twice-appearing weird "power to create the illusion of always having been in someone else's life like a brother" (which I'd WISH it ever hinted at anything regarding the current plot, because that is something that could have been used as foreshadowing but that gets rapidly obscured every time it happens and is yet to be addressed to this day).

Kenjaku's reveal as making him as part of an experiment WAS the something that already had me and many fans saying "no wonder he can do crazy stuff" long before any of this twin souls shenanigans happened, so yeah, that's no direct hint of anything nor foreshadowing for this situation.

thebrentinator24 said:
Even if that was just coincidental, Yuji looks oddly similar to Sukuna's true form. That can't just be for no reason.

Lastly, this is the sole one that could even barely hint towards this development within the manga itself up to this point, and even then, one could, as many did in the past, argue that is just another case of Gege same-facing characters.

In either case, I want concrete foreshadowing within the story. Not even historical/mythological documentation justifies this twist in any way, but I wouldn't mind innacuracies in a ancient history if the author actually mentioned them once.

Even because if a story is based upon a given mythos and does not hint within the story its relations to it directly, it's not really any good for the storytelling, especially when we are talking about a mythological character that is rather infamous in regards to how inconsistently it is portrayed and symbolized as (definitions attributed to him from Buddhism, for example, are not in line when it comes to his origin in legend, since Buddhism at the time wasn't introduced in Japan).

Considering this is some power up reveal, I do not disagree with anyone that would consider this to be in one way or another an asspull/deus ex machina.

But hey, I did my research, go on with the arguments or call me a "hater that didn't really read it and are exposing themselves" I guess lol
DanpmssApr 21, 3:02 AM
Apr 20, 3:21 PM

Jun 2014
Reply to Danpmss
@thebrentinator24
I'm sorry to say, but that basically sound like a bunch of stretches. I don't really think these count as concrete foreshadowing in any way. But allow me to dwelve into it for a second:

thebrentinator24 said:
Like why would Kenjaku choose Yuji's dad of all people to have a kid with.

thebrentinator24 said:
And why would Kenny use his own son as Sukuna's vessel, to collect his fingers? Why not literally anyone else?

thebrentinator24 said:
Yuji's accelerated growth rate throughout the series shows he's not just an average kid, and Uraume in this chapter suggesting he could have potential on par with Sukuna makes that make more sense in hindsight.

Yeah, I don't think any of those clearly can make anyone go "Oh, that's because Kenjaku breed with someone with the soul of the never-before mentioned twin brother of Sukuna!". Not to mention, what hindsight exactly, when Uraume only QUESTIONS it ("is that really the case?") so after the very reveal that just happened. Uraume mocked Yuji and treated him as a corpse being served as a vessel for Sukuna in every scene they shared any info on one another (in person or not).

thebrentinator24 said:
And even without all of this in-story context, just look at who Sukuna is based off of: a figure from Japanese mythology also named Ryomen-Sukuna who had 4 arms and 2 faces, but besides that, was thought to be a symbol of twins/brothers. So even just based on that alone, it makes sense that at some point in the story it would turn out that Sukuna had previously had a sibling.

And by the way, this twin he killed before birth has no part in being anything like the actual legend from which Sukuna's character was based on.
For starters, "was thought to be a symbol of twins/brothers" is a misconception (more below). For what he truly represents, according to the Gifu Prefectural History reference book, Ryōmen-sukuna was actually thought to be an epithet that expressed contempt towards the forces that weren't submissive to kingship (which is more in line with his character reaching for the top).

The twin thing you likely have been told probably refers to a certain speculative observation made by Hisao Hoga (a big shot researcher in Geneanology and Ancient Japanese History) when he was thinking of possible relations with the legend of Ryōmen-sukuna, the Hida Craftsmen and Mount Kurai (with him entertaining the possibility of him being a descendant of either Hida-no-Kuni-no-Miyatsuko or even Sukunahikona-no-Mikoto, both with their own share of impossibilities when it comes to his overall genealogical conclusion based on observations that are also admittedly dubious by fellow historians).

For the twin association, one association comes from his assertion in regards to Kurai's north and south sides that represents the two faces of the lord/master of the mountain, which also possessed 4 arms, based on the writings of a Muromachi era governor of the Hida Province (to which he attribute to his remarks about Sukuna's relation to a bestowed lordship to the very first emperor of Japan). The other is his actual metaphorical association to Sukunahikona-no-Mikoto, to which he solely attributes association according to legend, as in how Sukunahikona and Ōkuninushi were considered to be two hearts coming together to build a nation (which not only has zero to do with Ryōmen-sukuna having a twin, it's more meant to represent what their relation can be seen as influence in the legend of the two-faced demon).

His whole discourse about Ryōmen-sukuna having two sides as in two people that rule as one is something completely different altogether and not even in reference to his figure on itself, and moreso on what legends may have had influenced in its origin (which ultimately goes for what he represented as I said above).

If he's related to Sukuna somehow, then no wonder he's been able to pull off crazy shit despite only being a sorcerer for like, 6 months.

He is an experiment, that doesn't really track anything in relation of being in any way related to Sukuna, nor Sukuna himself ever mentioned or hinted on that being the case.

And Yuji being special in some way is something his Grandpa hinted at the very start of the story, he is the protagonist, has a twice-appearing weird "power to create the illusion of always having been in someone else's life like a brother" (which I'd WISH it ever hinted at anything regarding the current plot, because that is something that could have been used as foreshadowing but that gets rapidly obscured every time it happens and is yet to be addressed to this day).

Kenjaku's reveal as making him as part of an experiment WAS the something that already had me and many fans saying "no wonder he can do crazy stuff" long before any of this twin souls shenanigans happened, so yeah, that's no direct hint of anything nor foreshadowing for this situation.

thebrentinator24 said:
Even if that was just coincidental, Yuji looks oddly similar to Sukuna's true form. That can't just be for no reason.

Lastly, this is the sole one that could even barely hint towards this development within the manga itself up to this point, and even then, one could, as many did in the past, argue that is just another case of Gege same-facing characters.

In either case, I want concrete foreshadowing within the story. Not even historical/mythological documentation justifies this twist in any way, but I wouldn't mind innacuracies in a ancient history if the author actually mentioned them once.

Even because if a story is based upon a given mythos and does not hint within the story its relations to it directly, it's not really any good for the storytelling, especially when we are talking about a mythological character that is rather infamous in regards to how inconsistently it is portrayed and symbolized as (definitions attributed to him from Buddhism, for example, are not in line when it comes to his origin in legend, since Buddhism at the time wasn't introduced in Japan).

Considering this is some power up reveal, I do not disagree with anyone that would consider this to be in one way or another an asspull/deus ex machina.

But hey, I did my research, go on with the arguments or call me a "hater that didn't really read it and are exposing themselves" I guess lol
@Danpmss Eh, whatever the case, I don't think this back and forth will end in an agreement. And I'll take back you being a "hater," I noticed you have JJK rated as an 8 which obviously no hater would do.

Apr 20, 3:38 PM
May 2023
that was great. it reveals how shortsighted everyone who was whining every week that it's "getting boring"

read in context as a continuous battle one moment after the other we get the exhausted exhilaration of rising to the occasion beyond yourself for a comeback

I want Maki to skewer him once more.
Apr 20, 5:58 PM

Apr 2024
Solid chapter. Yuji doin his shit tho. Multiple black flashes while pushing Sukuna further and further to his limit. But holy shit the family tree in this series is horrendous. Not in a bad way, but just in a funny way. I'm hoping we get another Maki Yuji team-up or a solo chapter for another character.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Are you happy with where JJK plot is heading?

Zimmu - May 7

43 by Senpapi-sama »»
3 hours ago

» return of the king? chapter 260

deg - May 15

33 by thebrentinator24 »»
Yesterday, 4:36 PM

» binding vows are asspulls? ( 1 2 )

deg - May 10

52 by lucjan »»
Yesterday, 3:24 PM

Poll: » Jujutsu Kaisen Chapter 260 Discussion ( 1 2 )

grim - May 15

77 by Sigmar-Unberogen »»
Yesterday, 11:45 AM

Poll: » Jujutsu Kaisen Chapter 259 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Dumb - May 8

67 by Sigmar-Unberogen »»
Yesterday, 7:29 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.